Reviews of Aberdeen Douglas Hotel 3 stars

43-45 Market Street, Aberdeen, AB11 5EL, United Kingdom

#13 of 46 hotels in Aberdeen

Stayed here before and it is excellent value for money. Great choice for breakfast and the food in Molly's Bistro is lovely and reasonably priced. Staff are friendly and helpful and the hotel is right in the centre of Aberdeen.

• One-Bedroom Apartment

Great city centre location. Upgraded to a apartment it was absolutely massive with everything you need. Breakfast was fantastic with plenty of choice.

The location was excellent. It was close to the train station and the ferry terminal. They kept our baggage until we wanted it and they let us into our room early when we came off the ferry.

Parking was not easy and we had to park quite a way off site. The hotel car park was full. Would not be good in the rain. The room was very hot and with the window open very noisy.

Nice lobby, restaurant, bar with great food. Comfortable room . Staff very friendly and helpful

Not what I had booked

The hotel I booked was not he one I booked in but I was instead in an apartment 5 minutes and two climbs away outside the hotel Staff was not empathetic. Wrong instructions to Parking which was another 6 minutes walk away. Staff didn’t offer a room in hotel initially when it was available but only after I carried all luggage myself to the outside apartment and then lied to her manager

• One-Bedroom Apartment

No hot water in the bathtub.

This hotel is 'interesting" because I feel like we had an experience most people do not here. We were not in the hotel. We were given an apartment like suite with a kitchen and living room across the ally. It was private and there was a washing machine. When you travel, a washing machine is a big win, but there was no hot water in the bathtub (shower had plenty!). So, because we were apart from the hotel in a separate complex, it was not as easy as just phoning down to the desk for a fix on the hot water. It was easy to get to everything from food to entertainment. I only gave it four stars because I can't really say I am a fan, but the apartment was extremely clean and nice. It just felt like you were staying in someone's home. Give it a try for yourself...I would recommend the hotel for the great breakfast and good staff....and the apartment was very good. It would be nice if the parking was on-site and not so expensive.

Bit dusty on top of TV and on wires in room, otherwise fairly clean and tidy. Mattress was uneven on one side.

Very friendly and helpful staff. Great location.

• Executive One-Bedroom Apartment

No onsite parking, so you must park at nearby parking station and walk. Location was a bit noisy from street.

Shower's water pressure was good, decor was reasonably modern and room was clean. Good large bathroom and living space with separate bedroom. Good central location and friendly staff.

• Executive Double Room

Room required small items of maintenance (eg. Light bulbs, loose bathroom fittings, dirty windows). Room was lacking some climate control (room was a little stuffy).

Room size; bed comfort; cleanliness; fresh comfortable linen; proximity (walking distance) to ferry terminal, shopping, bus and train terminals. Friendly helpful staff.

• Executive Double Room

Charming staff throughout the hotel. One of the cleaners, Alicia, found a broken piece of a necklace which I hadn’t realised I had lost, abs out it safely on my bedside table. Angela in reception was very friendly, helpful and welcoming. Also Dawid in the restaurant was a very friendly and informed waiter.

• One-Bedroom Apartment

Was put in dirty apartment with empty beer bottles still in kitchen and not what we booked. Plus parking should be included in the price not extra.

Once we informed them of our problem the were quick to move us to the apartment we original booked.

• One-Bedroom Apartment

We stayed in apartment 205. Window looked out to some old rubbish. Apartment was very dark because of this . Windows were very very dusty and dirty . Some mould on the shower that could have been cleaned by cleaner and also the sponge and cloth in the kitchen were dirty

Loved how big the bed was and the pillows were super comfy.buffet breakfast was delicious aswell.

Just a little dated re decor. Realize trying to keep older traditional look but a bit tired looking.

Lots of choice for breakfast. Everything tried was good. Bed comfortable.

• Executive Double Room

In the hotel only one member of staff failed to be pleasant and cheerful - shame really as the rest were very good. In the area - as a pedestrian allow extra time to move around as the traffic light system totally ignores you as an entity and you can stand for quite a while waiting to cross on Green Man (don't risk Red other road users will come at you from many angles and believe it is their right to risk hitting you and blow their horn)!

Room size and facilities were very good for location at the price paid. Short walk to the boat, bus and train. Short walk to Maritime Museum. 30 mins to beach and the old fishing village.

No dislikes to mention.

Firstly my wife and I have been to the Aberdeen Douglas a number of times and would not go past it for a short break in Aberdeen. First class location for train, bus and Union Street. A casual walk to the beach and fun fair. We stay b and b and it allows us the freedom to eat out and make the best of the area. Will be back.

• One-Bedroom Apartment

1 bedroom apartment was ideal for the weekend. Spacious and good facilities. Bed was very comfortable! No parking on site but NCP car park 100 yards away. Will definitely be booking again.

There was nothing that I didn't like.......apart from having to leave to come back home!

The hotel is beautiful and clean with a great central location. The staff are all very welcoming and helpful. The bed was so comfortable and the breakfast amazing. Plenty of choice for everyone.

• Executive One-Bedroom Apartment

No complaints, but extra comments in + section.

Clean and spacious apartment. Was perfect for solo traveler. Six pillows on the bed of varying degrees of fluffiness! Lovely bathroom, clean, and modern. Thick drapes to block the light and temperature control was easy to figure out. No issues checking in or out and found this to be a great deal considering the location. Phone rang early one morning, but I didn't answer. I had not requested a wake-up call and no friends or family had the #. For light sleepers or people who aren't used to street noise, this particular apartment (facing the street) may not suit. Bring earplugs. There is also a clock tower that chimes every quarter hour (?) so that's something to consider as well. The apartments are easy to walk to from the train station provided you don't have a ton of luggage. Lastly, the apartments are at a different address from the regular hotel. I wish I had been told this upon my booking confirmation. It would have saved the poor receptionist some hassle. Would definitely stay again though!

The meal in restaurant attached to hotel .Got a long hair in meal and staff thought it was funny !!!! They weren't keen on changing meal for a new one without hair and offered a pudding instead !!!

Central location

Nothing to comment on.

The size of the room and bathroom. Quiet at night . Excellent location between different shopping centres. Fantastic value for money compared with other hotels in the area. Breakfast was second to none with enormous choice and something for everyone. Staff were totally professional both at reception and in the restaurant.

We were only staying for the night and at 8am the cleaner walked in without knocking. They should have waited until we had checked out before coming to clean as it was only a one night stay.

Very central

A little noisy as we were on side by alleyway by the pub but wouldn't have prevented us from falling asleep.

Breakfast selection was great, and excellent service. They had gf toast available too which was a nice surprise.

• One-Bedroom Apartment

Stayed in the apartments at the side of the hotel. Apartment was a high standard and very clean. Staff at the hotel were very helpful and the breakfast was really good! Highly recommend and will definitely stay again.

The only thing i did not like about here was the breakfast, it looked that disgusting I didn't even try it. Also I ordered room service, and one of the ladies who brought my food up sat my breakfast beside a hairbrush which was really off putting.

The beds were super comfy. The room was beautiful. Staff were really nice and welcoming.

Not very keen on there pillows but that’s just personal preference. Found the room quite cold, tried to put on the radiator but still no heating. Very creaky floor boards. You could hear the people above you and the people across from you walking about.

The breakfast was fantastic. Plenty choice. The room was very clean

The bathroom was a wet room, (meant for wheelchair users) however was precarious to walk in after use, very slippy.

Enormous room (think it was meant for wheelchair users) and massive telly. Lovely staff.

• One-Bedroom Apartment

The only downside was there was no access to disabled parking close to the hotel so I had to use taxis to travel between the hotel and the venue where I was attending my sons pipe band concert as the car park is a fair bit away from the hotel.

I had booked what was advertised as a mini suite and was situated out with the hotel building and access to it was via 2 flights of stairs. however on arrival the staff noticed my obvious poor mobility and offered me a room with easier access within the hotel building which was accesssd via a lift a few feet from reception and the room was likewise only a few feet from the lift. The room was obviously suited for the disabled guest with low level access shower. This was very much appreciated. So 10/10 for making my stay easily accessible. We had our evening meal in Molly’s who had excellent variety of Gluten Free choices on their menu. The hotel also had a variety of gluten free foods available for breakfast in the morning

I was not too crazy about the numerous 'louts' (from Norway?) who seemed oblivious to the presence of others on the stairways or hallways. Two of them insisted on wearing baseball caps backwards which I find very uncouth! New styles?

The croissants were actually a bit disappointing. They could have been more flakey and buttery. The room was very comfortable and I really appreciated that housekeeping provided a light blanket instead of the heavy duvet which I find too hot. It was great to have a desk to work at.

All good

Reception welcoming and the room was clean bright and well equipped. Nice central location with access to pubs and shops. Bed was comfy and the breakfast was delicious.

This was our third visit and we were very disappointed with our room. It was smaller than on the previous two occasions and although the bathroom was large it was absolutely freezing. Ususally have a great stay and great room x

The weather

Everithing was great in front of all equipment of the room The museum of the gordon highlanders and the maritim museum where very interesting

Wish I had realised the room was above Malones, our second night there was a lot of thumping from music in the bar, then some drunk people shouting and crashing into the walls/doors as they returned to their rooms. This can't be helped but would have preferred a room a level or two up, away from the noise. Found the bed to not be super comfortable, pillows were hard. Still slept OK in the end though!

Staff were attentive and pleasant. Initially offered an upgrade to an apartment, but after viewing we decided we would prefer to be in the hotel (too big for two people!). The room wasn't massive, but enough space to move around. Bathroom and tea and coffee facilities were good. Breakfast was great. Good poached eggs and selection of fruits and cereals along side the cooked buffet. Reception booked us a taxi and also called up after we checked in too make sure it was all OK, which was well received.

Due to the central location there was quite a bit of noise from the Irish bar across the street. The double bed in the room was quite hard, and too short for my husband. Some of the furniture in the room (sofa cushions) looked worn.

We were upgraded to an apartment which was a nice surprise. Lots of room, dining table, cooking facilities. Very central location - short walk from the train/bus station, very short walk to Union Street.

The windows in the room are old and let the wind howl in all night. Room freezing cold. I did get a full refund, but I’d have preferred a good warm nights sleep.

Breakfast was good.

• One-Bedroom Apartment

The room we had our breakfast in could be updated, but apart from that thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

The apartment we booked met our expectations and more! The hotel building was a bit tired, but so glad we stayed in one of the apartments. Would definitely go back.

Malones bar advertised as part of hotel but access door locked had to queue outside Bar overcrowded despite security on door monitoring .Dirty toilets in bar. Police and ambulance in attendance due to incident in bar but staff couldn’t control crowd due to too many people being allowed in .

Comfort of rooms Good breakfast and good location

the noise from between the rooms and from a room up above was terrible, my wife didnt get sleep from noise, i was ok due to always wearing ear plugs

great breakfast and room was spacious and good

• Executive One-Bedroom Apartment

The apartment was over-heated and the air conditioning controls were tricky to adjust. There could have been more storage space; there was very little in the bedroom; the TV in the bedroom could be replaced and shelves or chest of drawers installed.

We stayed in the hotel's 'annex', the Royal Athenaeum Apartments, round the corner from the hotel proper. The apartment was spacious (bedroom, living room with kitchen facilities, bathroom).

• Executive One-Bedroom Apartment

broken bin the the kitchen no instructions how to work the heating dirty window on the inside and internal extra glazing in the bedroom there was no clock anywhere in the flat for the cost there are other things you might expect - usb charging points, music system, coffee machine there was a dishwasher and washing machine but no provison to use these - there should have been complimentary items or a facility to just buy what you need rather than having to buy full sizes from the shop.

bed was comfy and facilities where good extra glazing in the bedroom was good to reduce the noise lovely bathroom

Don’t have anything to say that was bad, apart from he fact head of house came into my room to check if room was cleaned whilst I was getting ready.

My first room wasn’t very good, net curtain hanging out the window very drafty & noisy. Asked to change room and Angela was excellent at swapping rooms over an extremely helpful.

Seem to be some repetitive noise coming from another room during the night but we got over it!

The hotel was really good, friendly staff and the room was very good, we even got upgraded to the executive room which was a nice extra!

At time a bit of late night noise from the street

We had our flight cancelled and the airline web site crashed.Abigail the receptionist at the Douglas Hotel was exceptional in helping us and securing extra nights for us.I hope her manager reads this . Breakfast excellent . Wifi spot on all the time

Door lock broken on bathroom, but did not really cause an issue.

How central the hotel is, very convenient. Had everything we needed. Small and cosy room, suitable for 2 guests.

Lovely hotel, enjoyable stay! Only problem at check out - another resident had blocked our car in the car park so we couldn't leave until they checked out :/ Apparently not the first time it's happened and the staff had no way of knowing who's car it was, so we were told there wasn't much they could do - we just had to hope the checked out soon :(

Nothing it was perfect

The hotel was lovely. My room was huge too and very clean. Breakfast was lovely all the staff were very helpful and friendly. The location was perfect and so easy to get to the airport. The midday check out was very handy too as could have breakfast then go back to bed.

Lift very small and very slow

The room was very spacious. The bed was comfy, nice seating area, seperate shower cubicle and bath. Good breakfast included in price of £85

Liked everything Angla. Catherine, Belinda and all the staff couldn’t do enough for you in fact thay went out there way too make our stay one to remember

Was a big expensive to push back checkout time. Quite noisy at night due to pub downstairs.

Bed was very comfortable. Staff were welcoming and catered to all of our needs. Room was big and had a great layout.

• One-Bedroom Apartment

Not the hotels fault but there was scaffolding outside our window which spoilt the view but it was fine

The apartment was well equipped and very comfortable. The location was great too.

Hotel was far too warm. The room was roasting. On mentioning this to the reception staff at check out they mentioned that I could have had a fan in my room to help keep the room cooler. Would have been handy to know this at check in as they must have known the hotel in general was very warm.

Very pleasant staff and great breakfast.

I had no complaints. For a hotel in the centre of Aberdeen it offered everything I was needing.

Only downside to the room was there was no view.But this didn't impact on my stay at all.

Sausages and eggs were hard. Having to pay additional for parking was a bit annoying and had to find this information myself - this information should be more available.

The breakfast was good and plentiful.

Nothing negative to say.

Staff were extremely helpful. We were never in Abderdeen and they gave us information on buying a day pass for the bus and which buses we needed to take. They also gave us a local map which proved useful for sightseeing.

The hotel was centrally located. The staff were polite considerate and helpful. The hotel was clean and well appointed for a 3 star venue and had adjoining bars with entertainment.

My room 114 next to fire door ( closed) which every time someone came through to access their rooms went with a very loud bang at all hours of the night / early morning.

Room, staff and food all excellent

It’s be good if the parking could be pre-booked but that’s a minor issue

Staff, location and quality furnishings in the room. Problem with a beeping exit sign outside the room was dealt with promptly. Had dinner in the restaurant and the food was excellent.

Had to pay for car parking.

Really comfortable bed. Very warm in the hotel as we arrived! Bedroom very cosy as a result. Water perfect temperature when showering the next day. Great breakfast too. Reasonable prices as stay included breakfast. Overall good value for money.

Really need better coffee with breakfast!

Comfy bed. Was upgraded to a mini suite which was warm and welcoming. Problems with the drains in bathroom which was sorted promptly.

• Executive One-Bedroom Apartment

Staff gave us the wrong wifi password, was hard to understand the thermostat,

Bed was comfortable, smart tv allowed us to access netflix, good features, i.e. heated floor.

It was a long journey to our room but I think it's just the age of the hotel.

It was a comfortable stay. We weren't in Aberdeen long but found some nice places for a drink and a dinner. Didn't try restaurant at hotel so can't comment. Staff was very nice.

The noise from seagulls was unbearable and consistent until the early hours. I feel that we should have been warned of this staying on the 4th floor. I am very tired today. The room was stuffy but we could not leave the window open overnight because of the constant screeching. Even with the window closed the noise was enough to keep me awake. Maybe the owners need to look at additional glazing? Breakfast, good choice of items, but all the hot meat products were dry and leathery/chewy. No view from window as it was frosted out.

Smiling, friendly staff. Bed was large and comfortable. Room was well presented and clean. Would stay again as great location, but would request not on 4th floor.

it‘s even better if the room comes with bathtub

The reception desk doesn’t resemblance the room. The room is newly furnished, the shower is spacious and the breakfast was really good. On top of that, the location is directly in front of the station

• Executive Double Room

lovely friendly staff, reception was most helpfull and the waiter in restaurant was knowledgeable and friendly. the breakfast buffet was great and staff also friendly and helpful.

Breakfast food could have been hotter think it is made very early would be better cooked to order

Room was clean,comfy bed,tea and coffee provided and the heating was very good room really warm

Member of staff entering my room to check if fire alarm problem was in my room. I am deaf in 1 ear and other is getting worse and I was surprised when this person appeared in my room. Just as well I was fully clothed

Good athmosphere

• Executive Double Room

Sometimes people like to sit in the reception area and read or write, it may be helpful to provide tea or coffee, this wouldn't impact greatly on your costings, you could ask for a donation or charge for tea or coffee.

From the moment you walked into the building, reception staff were helpful and smiling, bar staff very helpful, meals were ordered and arrived fairly quickly, very tasty, good selection choices from the menu, cleaning staff were extremely supportive and helpful, breakfast team very helpful and professional.

The window in the room was very small . It was noisy as we could hear the music from downstairs. No door hooks in the bathroom.

The bed was comfortable and clean as was the bathroom. The staff were friendly and helpful. The breakfast was good and varied

I would like to have seen a carafe of water in the room. In the war against plastic I would like glass cups in the bathroom.

The hotel is in a great location-perfect for the rail station and a short walk to all the shops. Staff were polite and helpful. Great breakfast. Spotlessly clean. Comfy bed.

Shower outdated, screen rusty.

Great location and easy to get to! Limited parking available (first come first serve £5.00 per night). Comfortable room. Decent breakfast.

Everything was fine during our visit

The staff were so friendly and helpful. Good Christmas atmosphere and parties / work do's / people shopping. We stay at the Douglas when we are in Aberdeen, good location.

The previous time we stayed we had a larger room but what we had was sufficient Friendly staff always helpful and professional. Thank you for making our stay nice I did notice that someone had been sick on the step outside of the Mollys.

• Executive One-Bedroom Apartment

Bathroom lacked shelf space but the room itself was adequate.

Very warm and comfortable room. Staff on the reception desk were all very helpful and friendly.

room was quite dirty carpet round the radiator under tv ect, some spillage from what looked like coffee?? on skirtings, dust on tops of curtains, air vent in bathroom

• Executive One-Bedroom Apartment

Whilst there is limited parking behind main hotel you have to be quick otherwise there’s a discounted NCP nearby but if you’re staying for longer than a night parking could be dear

Excellent apartment on Union street

Hotel is 2 minutes walk from union street and union square so location is excellent. We were lucky enough to be upgraded to an apartment as well, which was like a home from home.

Browse Aberdeen Douglas Hotel traveller photo gallery