Reviews of Holiday Inn Aberdeen - Exhibition Centre 3 stars

Claymore Drive, Aberdeen, AB23 8BL, United Kingdom

#31 of 46 hotels in Aberdeen

Does exactly what it does on the tin. Cheap and cheerful.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Tired accommodation but I gather it’s been on the market a while. Will be wholly redundant once the AECC moves hence why it’s looking so dated with water stains on the ceiling and a little mould here and there. Ground floor room was noisy with people in the bar but full so unable to move us. Just be aware of this if booking on a busy night.

Location was great for the AECC Staff at breakfast were fab Good breakfast Good value for money

Run down, dirty hotel that needs to be knocked down!
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Run down. Shower broken. Light switch ok entry to the room broken. Bed dipped in the middle. Carpet and walls dirty. I understand the hotel closed Monday. Very overpriced for the facilities and cleanliness I experienced. Very disappointed!

Location to AECC

Cracking weekend, rubbish hotel
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

First room was smoking, which I refused as per my booking, second room was 128 which had an extremely unpleasant damp smell, clothes hanging up smelled like damp when we got home :(

Directly across from the event I attended in the conference centre

Better than having nowhere to stay! I understand the hotel is closing down

We were allocated a smoking room on arrival and our view was it wasn’t fit for human habitation! Old & umcomfy mattress

Not a lot but it was relatively inexpensive

Good place to stay. Buti should have been offered a slight refund for the fire alarm malfunction
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Ordered room service both nights. One night I was missing some items described on the menu for my order. The food was more like microwave food. Also the fire alarm went off during my stay. Set off by the alarm in my room. I had several staff. Manager and firemen wanting access to my room in the early hours.

Nice big room. Polite staff. Car parking onsite

Excellent location for the AICC next door - great for an overnight stay with super breakfast.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Our evening bar food was over cooked and several meals were returned. The bar and waiting staff seemed very stressed and harassed.

Breakfast was first class - piping hot, well cooked and regularly replenished. Breakfast and checkout staff were very friendly and attentive. Comfy bed and hot shower.

Average, no better.
    • Standard Room

Television didn’t work properly and tv remote didn’t work at all. Advised reception at 3pm on arrival day. By the time I left at 8am the following morning nothing had been done. Luckily I had iPad but disappointed my Corcoran’s went unanswered.

Location as it was 2 minutes walk to AECC

Nice place for a stopover with nice decor rooms a bit tired.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

The bathroom could do with some improvement e.g. grouting of tiles. Bed a bit lumpy and sloped in the middle. Would have preferred if food had been served all day as we had to go elsewhere.

Nice place, great location for our reason for travelling.

Short stay that met all my requirements for comfort within a budget

Room was freezing on arrival as heater was very low.

Good value for money with an ideal location for my business trip. Comfortable bed and pleasant staff.

Enjoyable
    • Standard Room

Confusion of Holiday Inn and Holiday Express being right next to each other, guests were confused and no sign for Express reception, wee bit of inconvenience

Welcome and professional manner of staff

Bed dipped in the middle so was uncomfortable.
    • Standard Room

Bed dipped in the middle so was uncomfortable. Adjoining door was not locked so unhappy with the security and privacy issue. After complaining this was locked. Not enough staff behind the bar, they were very pleasant but felt bad for them, huge queue at the bar, felt this was very unfair on the bar staff and customers.

It was ideal location as my partner and I were away to see a...
    • Standard Room

As there was a gig on I felt that it could have done with more staff, my partner waited in a queue for about 5 minutes to be told there would be a 15 minute wait on food orders being taken but continued to wait on the queue as the time he got the bar it would have been roughly that time, to which he waited just over half an hour and upon arrival at the bar he was told that they still weren't taking food orders and would have to wait another half hour, absolutely disgraceful as we had a 3 hour journey and thought the hotel would be able to provide us with decent food at a decent time, we did get to the hotel pretty early aswell! More trained staff is key for a business like this. In the room we also had dirty bed sheets which we had to turn the sheets over.

It was ideal location as my partner and I were away to see a gig so it was a perfect minute walk to the venue.

Overall experience was good, would definitely come back again
    • Standard Room

The room we were in was right beside the loading bay, there was a droaning noise possibly coming from an air conditioning unit??

It was clean and tidy and great that it was right next to the AECC

Horrendous

Customer service on arrival and departure was poor. No one manning reception and I felt like an inconvenience to be honest. Service was not personal or interactive at all. The room 521 was horrendous! On arrival we just dropped our bags and headed out to a wedding. There was a strong smell of stale cigarettes but we left the window open while we were out but on return it smelt just as bad. It was so horrendous that I actually felt sick and could not wait to leave in the morning. That room is certainly no where near a standard that is acceptable to charge for. I wish now I asked to change room but on our return at 1am we did not want the hassle. The room itself was also not that clean, it felt dirty and dusty and our pillows even still had the cleaning ticket stuck on it!! When returned at 1am we were greeted by the reception /porter staff who were at the front door smoking. This is disgraceful and very unprofessional! But really summed up our stay. Will never stay or recommend this hotel ever. I strongly suggest that someone investigates that room as it's unacceptable

Overall I would go back but these issues were a problem
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Not enough staff on , you could see that staff in the restaurant/ bar area were pushed to the limit, not enough staff serving at the bar, need more staff in this area, had to wait a long time to get served, there were also people there after the concert in the bar who were not resident in the hotel

Room was great, bed comfortable and was very quiet in the room

Fawlty Towers/Benidorm. Great for somewhere to sleep after a concert - but not for food/drink.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Service WAS TERRIBLE. When we booked in they said dinner was between 6 and 9 or something. We went down at 6.30 for dinner, very little tables and queue 20 minutes long to the bar. Once we waited at the bar, we were told they had stopped taking dinner reservations for 20 minutes as it was too busy and we had to go back if we wanted food. Breakfast was one chef who came out with bits and bobs - there was never anything filled up ready for eating or drinking. Everything was constantly running out.

The room was clean and comfortable and the location was perfect for the concert venue.

Does the trick
    • Standard Room

The breakfast was a shock. Food had been out for a while and wasn't replenished. When asked, the "manager" in the restaurant was either unhelpful or scared....I couldn't figure out which!

Fit for purpose. Comfortable bed, decent facilities and not a bad price.

Perfect for our needs 👍
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Rooms a bit dated and in need of some tlc .

The property was perfect for our needs but found the rooms a bit dated although there seemed to be some work being done on the restaurant area while we stayed so hopefully the start of a renovation program in the hotel but overall a good place to stay and staff where lovely and very welcoming .

On the whole great, have and will stay again great for concerts at the aecc
    • Standard Room

Breakfast was un organised, hard to find anything and food took ages to come out not ideal for a buffet breakfast but tasted great once there were enough items available to enjoy!

Location was great rooms quiet and bed comfy

Very disappointed, and wasn't cheap, will stay in the city centre next visit.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

The room was very tired it reminded me of an old hospital room and should have be upgraded many years ago. The mattress was awful with no support in the middle of the bed.

Great for a concert at the exhibition centre but that’s it.

Very poor hotel considering what I paid. Very dated room, not the cleanest either. Bed very uncomfortable - mattress seen better days. The duvet was paper thin. Bathroom left a lot to be desired.

Decent stay at the hotel
    • Double Room - Disability Access

Room 102 had a view of a skip as the hotel is under renovation. Bathroom could do with a bit of TLC. Glad I purchased on a low cost site.

Great location when visiting the AECC. Food excellent at the hotel. Staff really nice and hotel clean with a comfy bed.

Got what we paid for.

The bed mattress needs replaced, I rolled into the middle of the bed lol. Screens/nets in room were in a state of disrepair and marks on the walls could have been cleaned off.

We considered the room good value for the money we paid and reception staff were very friendly, polite and pleasant thank you!

Good Value for money.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Bed just ok, would have liked more support from the mattress (Sloped down in the middle).

Polite and friendly staff, cleanliness of the hotel and room and breakfast was very good.

Great location and friendly
    • Standard Room

Bit dated Bathroom needs modernising. Hall carpets dirty. Shower tiling needed regrouting. Didn’t like how bacon was cooked

Location and friendly staff

The location was perfect as we were attending a concert and...
    • Standard Room

The location was perfect as we were attending a concert and the hotel is right beside the AEC, the staff were also very welcoming and helpful would definitely recommend

Mediocre. Chosen for convenience at last minute; let down by cleanliness.

Overall cleanliness of room was poor, fittings and furnishings are worn and dated. Dust and stains all over, hairs in the bathroom.

Friendly staff. Decent hot water pressure and temperature in the shower, covered parking and a reasonable breakfast.

Met our needs.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Shocked and appalled that the snow had not been cleared around hotel. There were many older guests, some with sticks and walkers. Lots of people were walking to the Exhibition Center for concert and the paths were very dangerous. Quality of breakfast was pretty poor and staff were run ragged as clearly not enough staff allocated to this basic service.

Convenient location next to the concert venue.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

Friendly staff, spacious comfortable room.
    • Standard Room

Bathroom a bit tired and grotty looking in the corners. Hairs in the bath on arrival and was unable to pull the plug after a bath as it got stuck.

Friendly staff, spacious comfortable room.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

Excellent !
    • Standard Room

The staff where very helpful, offering to help me organise food as I arrived late at night, looked after my case whilst I attended a conference and organised a taxi even after my check out

Hotel dining experience spoiled what should have been an enjoyable evening. Fortunately this did n
    • Standard Room

Have never encountered waiting staff who were less attentive to customers needs. Twice had wrong main course delivered to table. Final bill showed numerous drinks which we did not have. Very poor performance.

Convenient for show at nearby venue.

Nice room and breakfast but was let down by poor sleep quality.

The bed!

Because the bed was extremely uncomfortable we hardly slept all night.When I complained to the receptionist all she said was 'sorry' she didnt offer to pass this information on to management. When my husband checked us out he was not asked if everything was ok. The breakfast staff and bar staff were very helpful and curteous and the food was good. We will not be returning because of the poor sleep and the lack of a proper apology.

Lack of sleep is the over-riding feeling.
    • Standard Room

The bed was very uncomfortable in room 306. Seemed to sag in the middle and as such I did not sleep too well. Hotel appears unfinished as the refurbishment has been put on hold, so the dining room is small for such a popular hotel.

Staff are very welcoming and make you feel comfortable. Breakfast was also good. Parking was easy and the location was excellent, close enough if you wanted to go into the City but far enough out to relax.

Perfect for seeing a concert at the AECC
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Rooms could do with being updated.

Decided to have room service opposed to going to restaurant, food was delivered to room within 10 minutes and was great.

Handy for gigs but I've stayed in better for much less!

The room (103) positioned at the front of the hotel, kept awake by people standing right at the window smoking, poor lighting, traffic noise, cleaners hoovering very early in the morning, toilet appeared as if it hadn't been cleaned. Only in the room for a couple of hours before going out thankfully.

Only good for proximity to the exhibition centre.

Brilliant location and great value for money.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

The window barely opened obviously for health and safety reasons but it meant the room was hot and stuff all the time.

The room was nice, really comfy bed. Perfect location for a concert or going into town

Very dated!
    • Standard Room

The bathroom was very shabby skirtings coming away from walls and the glass shower screen to small for the preasure from the shower a shower curtain would suit more not enough plug sockets in the room and not having any beside the bed was not handy hopefully they can improve this in the near future..

This is the most dated holiday inn ive ever stayed in but there was a sign saying under refurbishment so hopefully it will be more up dated in the near future

This was ideal location for our party of 10 as we were...
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

This was ideal location for our party of 10 as we were playing a match at Royal Aberdeen Golf Club which is just minutes away. Aberdeen City centre was only a 5-10 minute drive. Would stay again if I am up there.

Was only there for an overnight stay so was sufficient for the purpose
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

It seems that they have turned the bar area into the dining area, there was no privacy for when you are having your meal from people checking in, also as it was winter was cold from the cold air coming in with people coming & going. Also breakfast was a bit cold could do with a better warming plate.

its closeness to the AECC, the hotel itself being clean and friendly staff

Price
    • Standard Room

Bathroom not cleanef properly put a damper on it. We were going to fill out a review form but found one that some one had previously filled out in october. It was commenting on the same complaint as ourselves and was still lying there. We just thought - whats the point

Price

Comfortable, friendly, would book with Holiday Inn Express in the future
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

our original booking was for Holiday inn, but when we wanted an extra night, they could not accommodate us, so we cancelled, and on their advice booked Holiday inn Express. This was a good move as it worked out cheaper for us, and included breakfast, but we arrived about 9 in the evening and could not get a meal in Holiday inn express. We went to Holiday inn to eat, which was a bit pricier than we had hoped, although delicious

breakfast was excellent, plenty of choice, room was clean and comfortable

Staff were very polite and friendly.

Phone in room didn't work which meant I had to go downstairs to order room service.

Staff were very polite and friendly. Clean and spacious room. Great breakfast.

A good nights sleep in pleasant surroundings.

Although housekeeping do a great job in the rooms, the bathrooms are a wee bit tired and the corridor carpet was very grubby. But all in all a pleasant stay.

Friendly, helpful staff. Comfy beds and big, thick towels.The bar and restaurant area were really nice and very clean.

Will be back again
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Shame bar closed so prompt as my partner had to join us later in the evening and we missed a celebratory drink together to mark the start of our long awaited holiday

We were delighted with every aspect of our stay at the Holiday Inn Aberdeen - Exhibition Centre

Overall a good stay and may return in future.

Bar service requires attention. Very limited choice of both soft and alcoholic drinks in the chillers. No brandy as the manager was on holiday ??? We walked out the bar in disgust on the second night with no drink consumed.

Breakfast was good with an excellent choice.

I'd definitely stay again. Made the AECC experience really enjoyable.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

A walk in shower would have been ideal. Rooms could do with a bit of a freshen up. A bit tired.

Staff were fantastic. Really professional. Location is great for venue next door.

Perfect location for AECC, good advance rate, new mattress req, bfst items better planning
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Bed was uncomfortable and made both my husband and I roll towards the middle of the bed. Breakfast items weren't all available at the same time, various empty platters. Drinks contained in the drinks machine were all full sugar, no diet drinks available, not a great selection. The cans were not chilled as you would expect from this type of machine. Left my hairdryer at home as one in room, however was disappointed as it was merely a travel hairdryer.

Lovely friendly lady on reception and breakfast. Loved the water pressure in the shower took no time at all to wash & condition my hair.

ok
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Building work limited restaurant menu & layout. Wouldn't have been to bad if we had been pre-warned. Drink prices !!

Service & very convienient for AECC

Easy to find hotel, really nice staff.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

I'm not sure the difference between Holiday Inn and Holiday Inn Express. They are next door to each other. We parked in the Express car park as the Holiday Inn car park was full. The room was ok, no sockets next to the bed which is a bit annoying for charging phones. The hotel was far out from the centre but just next door to the exhibition centre, so it depends what your in Aberdeen for.

Easy to find hotel, really nice staff. Large Room.

Friendly staff ,great breakfast, good location
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Outdated bedrooms think it in middle of getting done up but no need for the think dust on standing light in room and the mould round bath and sink and in need of lick of paint as walls in room all scratched

Friendly staff ,great breakfast, good location

Awful and memorable for the wrong reasons.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

I arrived after 9pm Friday having booked no smoking room-No info from receptionist re breakfast or dinner only interest in getting credit card. Informed them the next morning room wreaked of permanent smoking, clothes smelled , pillowcases had long dark hair on them! told reception next morning and left note for cleaning staff - only comment from reception was indifference. Next evening sheets had been changed room still as bad. On checking out same receptionist didn't even bother to ask whether things had been rectified. No info in room or reception about meals, times etc. I come to Aberdeen once or twice every month my son at Aberdeen University close by. I have stayed in Holiday village/ Premier etc but wanted something closer - by far the worst hotel I have been in PS I read the breakfast card on the room door to find out times but for the first time ever I decided not to eat in hotel. On coming home last night I let my husband smell my night clothes and Jacket that was hanging in the room - disgusting smell of stale smoke. Someone should also try the bed as the mattress is so soft it subsides if you sit on it anywhere?

Easy proximity of hotel to my required location.

Good business stay, great bed and sleep, but hotel is a bit tired and unloved.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Lobby tatty, with what looks like long-term incomplete works, polythene sheets, and 'permanent' plywood repair to floor. No power sockets next to bed for phone charging! Internal access corridor to Conference Centre closed, which means we had to walk in the rain. Generally a bit tired.

Friendly staff. Great bed. Next door to AECC. Free parking. Good WiFi, and printer in lobby.

It was a nice hotel but was soured by the breakfast farce
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

There was only one comfy chair in the room

We booked bed and breakfast but when we got down in the morning they told us breakfast was not included not happy we would not have booked this hotel if we were not to get any breakfast, in there defence they did give us breakfast as a good will gesture.

Good at a discount, HI Express next door preferable.
    • Standard Room

Room very warm, decor dated and worn, not as good as Holiday Inn Express next door and would be poor value at full price.

Good location if travelling by car, clean and quiet, good value at discounted price.

Good value B&B for accommodation while visiting family and friends.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

The bed mattress was dipped in the middle and soft. Possibly could do with being replaced.

Very friendly staff and dog friendly. Good out of city centre location and excellent value for money. Beside the Exhibition Centre and no events going on while we were there. Don't know what it's like when events are on and what parking would be like.

Pleasant 😘
    • Standard Room

Food prices were high and breakfast stuff had been lying for a while.and you had to search forjuice.in other words it was spread all over.toast you had to ask for.by time you did this breakfast got colder .

Size of room .TV ! bathroom and shower!

The location at the exhibition centre was ideal as we were...

The location at the exhibition centre was ideal as we were golfing and the majority of the courses we were playing are north and we avoided the Aberdeen traffic. Great breakfast and easy to and from town for anything else.

Aberdeen review

Had a family emergency had too leave a day early was really upset but hotel was really good just a shame i lost a night

Comfy beds breakfast nice room nice and clean

The breakfast was good

The fact I have used this hotel off and on for 8 years and the rooms have never been updated in that time speaks volumes for how they are left behind their competitions

The breakfast was good

some staff need to smile
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

breakfast staff seemed uninterested and like we were an inconvenience, however the bar and reception staff were all very polite and friendly

comfy bed, excellent choice for breakfast and room clean

Overnight stay
    • Standard Room

Rooms require painting & new carpets laid

Rooms look a bit tired but linen & towels were fresh & clean had to ask for a change of room as we were allocated a smoking room without being asked - I didn't think there were any smoking rooms in hotels nowadays - but receptionist was friendly & changed our room with no problem

• Reviewed: 12 May 2017

Very happy with our stay.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Unfortunately fault with bath plug system failing, not able to empty bath - reported to reception upon checkout who took note of it.

Large comfortable room with a bath. Slept well. Good public transport links into city centre.

Great hotel for what I needed it for.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

The rooms look a little tired/worn. It needs a re-vamp. Only 2 plug sockets in the room caused us a hassle with all our iphones, pcs etc.

Friendly, helpful staff great position for the Aberdeen Exhibition Centre

• Reviewed: 28 March 2017

Overall very pleasant stay.
    • Standard Room

The breakfast was so so, the bacon , tattie scones etc were a bit hard as if they had been lying a while.

Staff very friendly room very good, breakfast area nice, easy parking.

• Reviewed: 23 March 2017

A no go for the disabled (as it stands)
    • Double Room - Disability Access

The access for people in wheelchairs was very poor. There was a ramp towards the toilets and the bar. The bar, where the self-service breakfast was served, was mostly blocked by a fruit machine. Navigating to the disabled toilets was difficult. Going to and from the bedrooms; I was faced with 3 heavy spring loaded double fire doors. I needed to open both doors to get through which is extremely difficult on your own. The bedroom door used the infamous key card system which failed 4 times had I been alone this would have been disastrous for someone with a fatigue illness. Once open, the bedroom door was a tight fit for my chair, and inside the room, any movement was all but impossible.

The staff were great and the Guinness wasn't bad either.

• Reviewed: 30 December 2016

Perfect location for Arena
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

I stayed as seeing a concert at the arena next door. It was perfect as only couple of minutes walk to the concert and meant I didn't have to go into the centre of Aberdeen.

• Reviewed: 17 December 2016

I was given a 'smoking room which stank and I asked to...

I was given a 'smoking room which stank and I asked to change - the alternative room, although non-smoking, also had been used by a smoker and was only a little better. It sounds like I am one of those terrible ex-smokers who are actually worse than people who have never smoked at all. Not the case, I'm actually pretty relaxed about it, but these rooms were appalling! It's a shame because the day staff and the hotel itself was actually ok.

• Reviewed: 12 December 2016

Very nice stay
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Had to wait 15 minutes to check in (we were second in the queue) as there seemed to be a problem of some kind with the customer at the desk.thought more staff would appear when they saw a queue forming.

Staff friendly, room clean, breakfast very good with plenty of choice.we were able to take our dog with us.

• Reviewed: 12 December 2016

Good value, shame about the facilities.

Bit run down. Renovation work impacted on stay, limited access to seating areas. Staff struggling to cope with volume of guests. Not able to keep tables and toilets clean. Not good.

Value for money. Good breakfast selection.

• Reviewed: 11 December 2016

Overpriced for stay & service
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

No table for dinner booked despite emails Then staff discovered it was booked under other parties name although not till we were checking out Huge mix up with billing for 2 rooms took staff ages to work it out! Bed not very comfy Kept rolling together due to mattress

Near to exhibition centre Car park

• Reviewed: 5 December 2016

Go somewhere else until refurbished
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

The bar service was very slow and there was a queue of people waiting to be served. There was minimal places to sit and have a drink and were told no restaurant bookings were available. Very poor. The room was on the 5th floor and stunk of smoke when you opened each set of fire doors. We asked at reception on checkout to confirm this had been a smoking area. I don't feel enough had been done to counterattack the smell. Very disappointed.

The hotel was handy for the concert venue is the only positive.

• Reviewed: 5 December 2016

Great concert!
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Prices at bar are off the wall - only option was £40 for a bottle of cheap red even the staff admitted you would get in Tesco for £6. Breakfast - don't bother - treat yourself to room only and buy a better breakfast in town for much less - you will need to save your money for the chiropractor you will need after a night on those beds - and we were told we were not the only ones who had complained that morning. If wasn't at a concert wouldn't even think about this place!

Proximity to AECC is perfect, otherwise wouldn't ever dream of staying here.

• Reviewed: 23 November 2016

The staff were excellent.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Bed was a little 2 soft. It was fine for me but my partner found it a little too soft

The staff were excellent. We had our 10 month old daughter with us and the staff just adored her, gotherwise her some strawberries to munch on while we had our breakfast

• Reviewed: 19 November 2016

Mid week show break
    • Standard Room

the bed was a bit soft but its nothing to complain about,a restaurant would have been nice we were told that building work would have been finished by time our booking came round

the food was great in the limited space there was, the staff were very pleasant and helpful the hotel was very close to our show which was great

• Reviewed: 9 November 2016

Good location for trip to AECC.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Couldn't open windows! Some staff could have been a bit more attentive at times of dining, e.g. checking everything was OK.

Nice big bed. Bathroom with shower over bath. Breakfast available to 10am. Quiet rooms, good long lie in the morning.