Reviews of Alexander Guest House 4 stars

35, Mayfield Gardens, Newington, Edinburgh, EH9 2BX, United Kingdom

#126 of 185 B&Bs and Inns in Edinburgh

Worse place i've ever stayed
    • Double Room with Bathroom

no staff available, cleaner checked us in by telling us our room was upstairs but nothing else. Towels missing; Mold on shower, Damaged fittings; Holes in wall; Carpet grippers showing; Toilet wouldn't flush; Extractor fan wouldn't work; No opportunity to get breakfast as we didn't see a single member of staff at any point and you couldn't book with breakfast. Worst place I've ever stayed! Bookings.com pretty hopeless as well

absolutely nothing

Cosy and quiet room to the backyard.
    • Double Room with Bathroom

Very limited availability of parking spots, although mentioned on their homepage. States to be a bed&breakfast but we didn‘t get any breakfast. Quite far from the city center (about 25min walk).

Cosy and quiet room to the backyard. Clean bathroom

• Reviewed: 10 August 2018

Nice and clean.
    • Double Room with Bathroom

They advertise parking but only if you are lucky, there was room for 2 cars outside. I got lucky and didn’t move my car until I left.

Nice and clean. Easy access to city centre, nice 30 minute walk or lots of bus options just outside. I chose to walk every time.

were comfortable, they were relatively dated.
    • Family Room with Bathroom (4 Adults)

This hotel is advertised as a B and B. Upon arrival, we were told that breakfast was not available as part of our stay, hot breakfasts were not available and that a continental breakfast would be an addition £5 per person. This was not made clear as part of the booking process.

I was charged twice! Cash on arrival and via pre-payment through booking.com. :(
    • Single Room with Bathroom

-I was charged twice! Cash on arrival and via pre-payment through booking.com. (I should have been made aware of this on arrival.) I will change my review once my card is refunded.

Nice place, had a pleasant stay with no problems.
    • Single Room with Bathroom

Not very soundproof (there's a gap at the bottom of the door), but luckily I had quiet neighbours, so wasn't really disturbed by this. Room is actually quite small

Great view of Arthur's seat from my window (had a 3rd floor room). Comfortable bed.

Close proximity to public transport.
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

Needed to go though hallway to reach ensuite bathroom. Not clear if breakfast was included or not (it wasn’t)

Close proximity to public transport. 10min bus ride to the city Center all through the night. Comfortable and clean room in nice historical building.

I would return to Edinburgh and Alexander Guest House and recommend it to friends.
    • Single Room with Bathroom

I could have enjoyed a cooked breakfast each morning but I had to leave early each morning so missed that window of opportunity.

The room although small was comfortable and quiet.

I wouldn't stay there again due to the noise
    • Double Room with Bathroom

Noise from traffic day and through the night.

We were in a room at the front of the property with a busy road. It was difficult to sleep at night. They had shutters to close but they did not close properly so you could still hear traffic at night which was busy leading into the City of Edinburgh.

A perfect stay!
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Both hosts are really friendly and lovely. I got a warm welcome with advises what’s worth it to visit in the city and which places to avoid when it’s dark, especially as a single travelling woman I appreciated that advise. The english breakfast was delicious and while I was eating and drinking coffee I enjoyed the conversations with Magid. My room and the bathroom was clean and even though I had a shared bathroom I never had the feeling to have one. When I visit Edinburgh again I will stay there.

The building with its interior and exterior is perfect.
    • Single Room with Bathroom

The building with its interior and exterior is perfect. It’s pretty easy to get to the city center - 20 minutes walking distance. The room was cosy and comfortable.

Everything was perfect;
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Everything was perfect; the attention, service, cleaning, location a little far but you can take a bus and be in 10 min to city center or walk like me 30 min and you can enjoy the view of houses. I like it!

nice room with good public transport
    • Double Room with Bathroom

it is a bit out of town but still walking distance. However, taxi fares were about 7 pounds, busfares 1.60. The bus stop is very close by. The room was big and clean.

Not a good experience. Their website was not accurate. I wouldn't go back and l wouldn't recommend
    • Single Room with Bathroom

The heating didn't work hence the room was cold. The window was drafty. The curtain was hanging off the rail. There was a broken floor tile in the bathroom. I had to put the kettle on the floor using an extention . There was incent sticks behind the wardrobe. The bins and towels were only done one day. The milk was out of date. There was wallpaper coming off the wall. The lighting was awful.The room was tatty and unkept.

The bed was comfortable.

Friendly staff, decent location
    • Single Room with Bathroom

Impossible to close the window entirely (that was room 10), there was always a little space where outside air could get through. It was early Fall so it was mostly okay but I can't imagine staying there in the dead of winter without wearing a sweater to bed. Apart from that, the shower only seemed to have two options: hot and boiling.

Friendly staff, very decent location, away from the crowded center but not too far away and easy to get to (10 mins by bus, straight on). Comfy bed, extremely quiet, clean.

Excellent guest house for rest and relax.
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Shops and bars about 15 min walking in city center direction, kind and hospitable staff, comfy bed and room furnished in old style. I love it. I get excellent rest and relax, it was good choice. Everything was perfect!

Good stay at Guest house
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

The guest house was just on the edge of town. Walking was almost too far but doable. Although the city bus stop was just a block away.

The staff was friendly, room was cozy and having the shared bathroom not a gig deal as only shared with 1 other guest.

On good bus routes, yet out of town crowds.
    • Double Room with Bathroom

We would have liked the option of breakfast, given that it is still offered here. TV - disappointing to not have the basic 5 channels!

On good bus routes, yet out of town crowds. Nice room. Lots of literature and info provided in the foyer. (We are return visitors from a few years ago).

Highly Recommended
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

I can't find anything that i don't like there.

What i like most is the daily cleaning of my room. The owner was friendly, and i felt safe while staying there. Buses are easy to get going to town center. And if you like walking.....it only takes about 15-20mins or it depends on how quick or slow you walk. If or whenever i go back to visiting Edinburgh again, i would definitely book a room with Alexander Guest House again.

I do not recommend this place.
    • Double Room with Bathroom

Unfriendly, no parking, on a noisy road. The property is unloved. Broken chair upon arrival, which was changed the next day. Curtain tie held together with a safety pin. One night we came back to "no towels". We asked for some the next day and instead of an apology, the owner/manager just said " she was in a rush!" Says it all really. There are so many other nice guest houses in Newington. Just give this one a miss.

The room was clean.

Well enough located to the cent of the city, where many of the t
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Very nice room on the first floor with the shared bathroom just steps away, very clean, well looked after. Dependent on where your room is, the street noises may interfere with a solid good night's rest. Suggest people ask for a room on the back. Guests should be prepared to either take a bus to where the tourist places are located or walk up the hill to the centre of the city, it takes about 20 minutes or so at a good pace. The bus stop to the centre is located just across the street from the hotel.

Unwelcoming,Shabby, Outdated, wholly unsuitable !
    • Single Room with Bathroom

The lady on reception was far from welcoming and in fact made me feel i was a bit of an inconvenience. The property was in desparate need of upgrading or even just to have the woodwork re-painted and the wallpaper stuck to the walls ! Altogether the property was shabby and wholly not to he standard that I have witnessed for a great number of years !

Great location for university and right on bus route into...
    • Single Room with Bathroom

Basic small room, but good value. The wifi password wasn't written anywhere and I didn't have a chance to ask for it, so I can't comment on that.

Great location for university and right on bus route into city centre - but quiet street. Nice and clean (but small) ensuite

Lovely guesthouse
    • Double Room with Bathroom

Very little to dislike, I guess that my window didn't close all the way down but that was it really, I had a front facing room so there was a little noise but understandable

For the price the room was great, a little old but everything was in good condition and clean. The description on the location was spot on, it was a nice 25 minute walk into the centre or 7 minute bus ride. Brilliant bar called Southpour near by as well.

The bed in twin room was very comfortable but not so...
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

The bed in twin room was very comfortable but not so comfortable un single room. I have not seen ohotos as my friend booked the room. Overall, i liked the accommodation and enjoyed my stay.

• Twin Room with Bathroom

The room was up two flights of stairs. I have bad knees so it was a chore for me. I will know next time to request a lower floor. Also the room had two table lamps and neither worked. When the hostess was notified she replaced one of them but the lighting wasn't great.

Location. Very easy to get into the heart of Edinburgh. We used the bus. Very convenient, reliable and inexpensive. Hostess was very accommodating. Room was on an upper floor and there was a heat wave and no a/c. We requested a fan and she provided a very effective Dyson fan that did the trick.

Disappointing and far
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

The woman who works there was very uninviting. She barely greeted me when I arrived and didn't tell me how to get around on the busses so I had to catch ubers on my first night as she was nowhere to be found after I put my bags in my room. When I did ask her, it was like pulling out teeth for information. Location in a bus ride away from any nice areas.

It was relatively cheap for a solo traveller.

Expensive for what was offered.
    • Single Room with Bathroom

Expensive for what was offered. Small room and very small bathroom. No hairdryer and not even a wee biscuit on the tray. Did not like a jar of coffee that others had used. Parking was an issue and looked like the owners 2 cars used what parking was there as the same 2 cars did not seem to move during the whole time of my 3 night stay. £65 per night with no breakfast unless I paid another £10 meant it was not value for money.

Walkable distance to old town ~1 mile I was told.
    • Family Room with Bathroom (4 Adults)

Bedroom lock didn't seem too secure, but did hold close.

Walkable distance to old town ~1 mile I was told. Lots of public parking space around. Lovely bright bedroom with large bay window overlooking the street.

Good thing price was right
    • Double Room with Bathroom

Beds were hard as a rock. Mold in shower. Rooms need to be refreshed.

Location was okay for walking or busing. But still a good 25 minute walk to Royal Mile.

Cozy and peaceful!
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

A lovely choice of breakfasts (not included in room price) and a quiet, peaceful atmosphere. The room was clean and cozy and the staff were friendly and helpful. Free parking just around the corner made my stay so much easier and the house is very close to really fun restaurants (15 minute walk). I enjoyed my stay!

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

It's a lot cheaper than a city centre hotel, though the...
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

It's a lot cheaper than a city centre hotel, though the route into the city is well served with buses (£4 day pass / £1.60 single) hence easy access to North/south bridges and Waverley train station. Also within walking distance of Arthur's Seat if you fancy a ramble.

• Reviewed: 15 June 2017

A nice guest house if you are not on too tight a budget.
    • Single Room with Bathroom

The staff is not so easily reachable, never got around to asking for the Wi-Fi passport. The breakfast prices seemed somewhat overly high, so I never tried it. A table or desk in the room would have been a really welcome addition, as both working or eating in the room was rather cumbersome. But then - a regular visitor would hardly need to do either of the two, and the room is not that large.

A clean room not far from the city centre, in a quiet neighbourhood. A shopping centre a few minutes walk away. Comparatively roomy, especially for a single guest. Facility to make one's own tea or coffee, the hospitality tray was refilled, the room was cleaned unobtrusively.

Very pleasant stay - Typical and comfortable stylish guesthouse - We recommend it!
    • Family Room with Bathroom (4 Adults)

A very stylish and comfortable room. It gave us a flavour of Edinburgh during Victorian times. We really appreciated walking in this residential district - easy access to the center of the city. Very nice host and team. Interesting information on the neighbourhood; good advice for our trip. Typical british breakfast :-)

Aggressive Owner
    • Single Room with Bathroom

Very aggressive male owner started shouting abusively when I asked him not to take my card away to take payment, but to bring the card machine to me or take me to the machine with my card (a recommended routine security measure when paying by card, as most people know). Felt so unsafe and unwelcome that I left first thing the following morning despite having already paid for a further night. Although the accommodation itself seemed alright, I would definitely not recommend, especially for women travelling alone.

Short stay. Great value!

Breakfast is separate.

Staff were friendly. Room was a good size for three adults. Called ahead to make sure they were happy for us to arrive at an unsociable time. Excellent Wifi. Just walking distance to bus stop with great links to the city.

Not really value for money
    • Family Room with Bathroom (4 Adults)

Lack of places to hang coats, dressing gowns and towels. No handrail or rubber mat in shower. Lack of soap dish in shower and no hooks in bathroom for hanging clothes. No hairdryer despite being included in information. No friendly welcome on arrival.

Great base for a few days

It was perfect for me.

The shared bathroom was perfect. It was spotless, conveniently located and only shared with one other room. Property location was great: a 30minute leisurely walk from the city centre with frequent buses back in.

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

Convenient location and clean but not a very pleasant place.
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

I thought it was a bit mean not to provide even a biscuit with the tea and coffee in the room and there was no milk in the room, so I had to go and ask for it. There was no shampoo or good soap in the bathroom, so it was good that I had some with me, but in other places it was provided. In fact, I had a much better value for money in other B&B places I stayed in on this trip for the same amount of money (with the most expensive at £45 and cheapest at £35 - and it was the best!), with a good breakfast included in the price and the little extras that gave a feeling of being welcome. The bedding is very basic and after the pretty things I had in other places it felt really sad. I would not go there again.

The location was good in terms of the busses into town. The place is clean and tidy.

• Reviewed: 28 April 2017

Great value for your money and very friendly staff
    • Single Room with Bathroom

Staff was very friendly, room was very clean and spacious, very, very good value for your money. Bus stop and shopping centre only a very short walk away.

don't bother looking anywhere else, I,m not
    • Single Room with Bathroom

this was without question the best value hotel I have stayed in. The staff are great and it is super clean with a fabulous atmosphere ,will be staying again june thanks for having this hotel on your booking site

• Reviewed: 20 April 2017

Lovely stay near City Centre and would definitely recommend
    • Double Room with Bathroom

There were no toiletries provided like shampoo/body wash. Only hand wash was there in bathroom and obviously tissues/towels were provided. In room there was no hair dryer as mentioned in description at time of booking. As per level of Guest house not bad though ;) Bit costly as per the property but I think everywhere in Edinburgh/Scotland it's costly in Easter time.

Room was enormous for 2 persons. Stayed with my partner. Booked during Easter holidays. Was not noisy at all. Had decent light from window. Batroom was private i.e. inside room and decent. Towels were provided. When heater was not working for our room, staff person provided with electrical heater and room temperature was fine. There was TV, Big table, mirror, hot drinks preparation supplies provided in room. Within 30 mins walkin distance of Edinburgh waverly station and all Edinburgh attractions. From property to attractions/Edinburgh station, you will find all restaurants, bars, shops and lot of other guest houses on way. Roads very clean and maintained. If had to stay again, will do definitely. Overall happy and recommend this property.

• Reviewed: 14 April 2017

Charming B'nB, close to the city centre yet quiet which...
    • Double Room with Bathroom

Charming B'nB, close to the city centre yet quiet which is what you want in the city of Edinburgh! Most forthcoming owner. Beautiful wee multi-floor town house makes you want to spend more time just looking at the interior decor elements. Simple and functional rooms, all you need. Coffee and tea making facilites!

• Reviewed: 7 April 2017

The property was clean and warm with cosy bed.
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

There was no tissue, hairdryer, and TV in my room - it was a DVD screen player, not a TV. The room could also do with a proper desk and chair.

The property was clean and warm with cosy bed.

Freezing rooms, but it was one of the cheaper places
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

The room was too drafty and cold--especially by the windows and near the walls--and there were no controls to adjust the heat in my room. The rest of the house was pretty warm, just my room felt like an icebox. Also there was no tissue box in the room, which made my stay extra miserable. Also no shampoo or body wash. The shower itself was nice. Staff seems to disappear at the most inconvenient times, I had to wait over half an hour to find someone to help me book a taxi.

The location was close to a bus stop to city center, or you could walk for about 30 minutes. The room was pretty cute, and a good comfortable size.

• Reviewed: 6 February 2017

Good value but very noisy
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

On a busy road and the single pane window was next to useless and barely shut correctly. Trying to sleep with the traffic noise was almost impossible for a relatively light sleeper.

For the money the single room was OK. Dated but OK.

• Reviewed: 31 January 2017

Comfortable
    • Single Room with Bathroom

The stairs are very hard to traverse with luggage, which I had. Pulling a 35kg suitcase up 2 flights of stairs was very difficult and on one occasion I fell trying to bring my suit case down. If there is a lift I was not made aware of it. The staff at the B&B are not easy to get a hold of. With no telephone in the room and only a door buzzer in the main foyer to call for attention, if no one is in the office you cannot ask for assistance.

Excellent location and very close to transport. Wifi was exceptional.

• Reviewed: 10 December 2016

Crispy Edinburgh
    • Single Room with Bathroom

Carrying my suitcase up the stairs by myself with no offer of help on arrival. Just a bit unfortunate in timing I guess with the owner having a weak back.

The room was very warm and comfortable. It was also fairly quiet despite there being a lot of guests in the house. Staff were friendly and helpful. On the main route for buses and there were plenty of them so very easy to get around.

• Reviewed: 23 November 2016

Edinburgh solo short break.
    • Single Room with Bathroom

Window did not fully shut due to its style and age which left a draft. Not excessive but very noticeable in winter!

Comfortable room, with good central heating. Made coming in from the cold more pleasant. Good bus links a short walk from guest house.

• Reviewed: 12 November 2016

Would not return
    • Single Room with Bathroom

Peeling wallpaper; mold on shower curtain and ceiling; outlet high on wall (couldn't reach outlet); doorknobs loose (I had to repair one myself when it came off in my hand); two front doors didn't latch unless firmly pressed closed, therefore, were often inadvertently left open by visitors (anyone from street could have come in). Problematic plumbing.

Buses came frequently.

• Reviewed: 4 November 2016

I felt comfortable overall.
    • Single Room with Bathroom

Nothing that I didn't like, to have breakfast would have been nice, but I understand I get what I paid for.

I like the quietness, clean and feeling secured. The bus stop is just around the corner, not very far from the hotel.

• Reviewed: 18 October 2016

Lovely People and Great Location!
    • Twin Room with Bathroom

I was surprised to find no shampoo/conditioner, only hand soap in the bathroom. Not sure if this is a typical Guest House thing though? This is the only one we've stayed in. Shops nearby so we picked up some toiletries and it was fine.

The woman running this place is just lovely! She gave us great directions for how to get around town and deals to find for transit. The location is just a 20min walk to high street and another 10mins to the castle! Room itself was spacious and the wifi actually worked!

• Reviewed: 17 October 2016

A wonderful break to celebrate my husbands 70 th birthday. Would go again.
    • Double Room with Bathroom

If breakfast was included. The landlady was unfortunately undergoing chemo so was not doing breakfasts.so at 70 pounds per night I thought was quite expensive. However it didn't spoil our break.

We were near to bus stops and the buses ran frequently, it was only a 10 minute drive approx. To the centre of Edinburgh.A very enjoyable break.

• Reviewed: 15 October 2016

Worst experience I have ever had in a hotel. Customer Service is top from the bottom.
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

-Cleaners come knocking on your door to clean your room. -They will open your door with their key if you dont answer the door. -They dont have the tags to hang outside your door to let them know if you want your room to be cleaned or you dont wanna be disturbed. -They dont even say sorry to disturb you. They just scream house keeping from the bottom of their lungs. - This is outrageous. Completely unacceptable.

I don't know any besides the location.

• Reviewed: 9 October 2016

The lady was so sweet I feel bad for giving this review...
    • Family Room with Bathroom (4 Adults)

This place is in desperate need of some updating and basic maintenance. Our bathroom door did not close properly, there was a weird open hole in the bathroom and the whole place seemed mouldy. I could sense that my body was reacting to the mould as I would wake up here with a scratchy throat and phlegm build up.

Staff were friendly and flexible. The location was good; about a 25 minute walk from the tourist areas or a short bus ride.

• Reviewed: 5 October 2016

Nice guesthouse, a bit outside the centre
    • Double Room with Private Bathroom

Location is a bit outside town, but there is a bus nearby which takes you to the centre (very easy to figure out as all busses go to the centre).

Owner made us feel very welcome. Bed was comfortable, we had a good night sleep. Free parking available nearby

It is a really good place to stay.
    • Double Room with Bathroom

It is a really good place to stay. Everything is closed by walking. Excellent staff and place.

I really recommend this gueset house.
    • Single Room with Bathroom

I really recommend this gueset house. Very close to Royal Mile therefore is no need to use bus. On the way is very interesting Surgeon Museum.

The Guest house was nice
    • Double Room with Bathroom

The room was nice and the bed was very comfortable. It was also quiet.

Very Nice place

The owner was so nice

The hotel was very bad and it could be better ...
    • Double Room with Bathroom

The hotel was very bad and it could be better I won't be stopping at that hotel no more .

Super!
    • Single Room with Bathroom

My father really enjoyed his stay. Will surely stay at this guest house again!

I will not be returning.
    • Single Room with Bathroom

A very small bed , tired decor, 2 flights of stairs, no breakfast, rather poor quality all round.

Lovely, comfortable accommodations.
    • Double Room with Bathroom

Our room was perfectly comfortable and the staff was very accommodating. We appreciated the teakettle and everything we needed to make tea or coffee.

Loved Edinburgh
    • Double Room with Bathroom

No breakfast included in the price,accommodation was booked under the assumption it was as advertised

Location and public transport availability

Very very very welcoming, friendly and making you feel like...
    • Double Room with Bathroom

Lack of soap in the bathroom.

Very very very welcoming, friendly and making you feel like home.

Good!

Lovely host.

Better than expected.
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Value for money, Easy and free on street parking, short walk to large shopping mall.

cheap and quiet

the bed is too small

cheap and quiet

Cosy room, family-run business, clean
    • Twin Room with Bathroom

a little bit far from the centre if you want to walk after walking all day as a traveller, it's good by bus.

Cosy room, family-run business, clean

It was my second stay there.
    • Single Room with Bathroom

It was my second stay there. I loved the place: location, room, bed. I’ve left my full feedback before

Solo traveller
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Window was slightly open draft was coming in. Could not close it properly.

Staff were helpful. Clean and quiet place

A wonderful stay. Shall come back in the future
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

The professor is a great person!

Edinburgh guest house
    • Single Room with Bathroom

The room was chilly! Impossible to get warmer.

Basic but nice. The house is stately and not too far from the city centre!

The structure is beautiful and the room was very clean!
    • Double Room with Bathroom

Far away from the city centre!

The structure is beautiful and the room was very clean!