Reviews of Alexandra House 4 stars

Whittingham Drive, Swindon, SN4 0QJ, United Kingdom

#16 of 18 hotels in Swindon

There were some rowdy people swearing in the bar.

It is a very quiet and secluded location, plenty of parking. The place is airy, clean and has leisure facilities on-site if you need them. Staff were great.

• Standard Twin Room

The main issue is with the TV which has been the same for years. It is always commented on but nothing is done. Even the receptionist apologised and said we were lucky to have three channels - Sky sport, ITV and BBC news - no BBC1, BBC2 Channel 4 which we would consider the very minimum. The receptionist said that the channels depended on which room you were in and some only had one channel! The breakfast was not as good as previously - no rolls, croissants or french bread only "supermarket " thin white or brown to toast. There was fresh pineapple and melon slices. Everything else was tinned. Cereal was packets of cornflakes, weetabix or Special K. No muesli or granola. This is stated as a 4 star hotel but does not live up to this rating

We have stayed previously and were aware that the hotel no longer belonged to Principal Hayley. We were also aware that the booking.com rating was lower than previously but because of the hotel location, close to Coate Water Park and its out of town, quiet position we still booked.

• Standard Twin Room

The showers in the pool changing rooms were dirty and hadn’t been cleaned all 3 days I was there.

Good size room. Easy access. Pet friendly. Nice pool. Nice grounds

the TV in the room was very poor reception , only 4 channels , the steam room was out of action waiting parts ,

An ideal location for visiting the surrounding towns and paces of interest ,

We had our breakfast about 10.30 on the Saturday and the fried eggs were not runny and chewy. So had some more redone And shower would run warm then freezing cold

Room was nice and comfortable

Building design means a very long walk to some rooms but if that is a concern ask for a room nearer to reception. Bedroom was pleasant....would be nice to have bedside light on both sides. Light in sliding door wardrobe wasn't working. Bed was too soft.

Clean and bright. Lovely surroundings. A very large modern sprawling building with very spacious areas, whether reception or dining area. Staff were very attentive and wanting to help. Liked the sliding door light- up cupboard for kettle. All corridors well kept. Breakfast was standard. Fresh fruit nice and waiting staff very visible.

The showers were either ice cold or scolding hot and when I got to my room the toilet seat was dirty so I was given a different room. The TV has no signal so I couldn’t use it. The restaurant was nice but really overpriced. Almost paid the same price on food as I did on the room!

The bed was very comfortable.

The mattress was poor. The bar closed at 22.30.

The mattress in room 108 was over due for renewal. With me and my spouse in it we rolled towards the middle as the springs had weakend. We ended up sleeping at the tail end.

• Standard Twin Room

Didn't like having to walk through the bar area to get between room and Reception/front door. Layout of hotel makes for a long walk between car park and entrance.

Room comfortable and well furnished. Ample parking.

Hotel is need of an upgrade we have stayed before and can see a deterioration in the fixtures. Breakfast was terrible most of the food wasn't edible and we got a refund. Pool changing room lockers still take old pound coins too not sure how you are supposed to source one as not legal tender now!

Location it's grounds are lovely and ample parking but the downsides far outweigh any positives

Problems with hot water in bedroom on first night -had a word with staff at reception and they said that a problem ha d occured at our end of the hotel and engineers were at the premises trying to fix it/The following morning the shower was warm but by the next morning it was cold again

bedroom good -food was great

Housekeeping needs improving. Toilet had lots of black scale on it, no spare toilet roll. Tv didn't work but was sorted the next day. Bath was not suitable for disabled people. Food in the restaurant on first night was not good it had to be sent back there was so much oil on the fish and mash potato was cold. The problem was sorted and complimentary drink offered.

Staff very helpful, comfy room and lovely garden for dog walking. We had problems but we like the hotel so would go back.

I have stayed several times at Alexandra House for business. I think they are progressively loosing quality. My bathroom towel was dirty, there were no spoons in the room to make tea. The showers at the swimming pool were out of service so had to shower back in the room. The tv image was quite bad. I have had rooms that weren’t clean and had to be swapped. I have had breakfasts of lower quality, seen occasionally dishes dirty. I truly hope they can return to the quality of two years ago.

The bed was comfortable. The jacuzzi and sauna were good to relax. The wifi was ok. Parking is easy. Has very nice surroundings.

Pool closed at 8 and my toilet didnt flush but they changed my room as soon as i notified them.

It was well decorated, kept very clean, the staff were brilliant at there jobs and management was excellent.

Cleaner woke me up by walking in 3 times at 6 am in the morning. Ordered a garlic bread and got a pita bread. Hardly any drinks to choose from and everything running out. Staff tried to be pleasant but seemed stressed and came across un knowledgable. I asked for a rum and coke and they looked in the fridge and said “I don’t think we have any of that” despite the rum being on top and the coke in the bottle. He said that it was his first night on the bar so clearly not his fault if he has not had the correct training but he was polite and friendly

Evening bar meal was disappointingly average. TV in bedroom could do with upgrading.

Staff very helpful, room well appointed, breakfast good. Was all very "corporate" but that was what I expected.

Incredibly nice hotel. Me and my partner paid £43 in the total for a double bed room, which was fantastic value. Highly recommend. Would stay here again without doubt! To be honest, they could have charged double what we paid.

The lighting in the room was much to be desired. Very fun and the TV had 4 channels and terrible reception . Bathroom, the shower was one where the head was attached to wall to quite tricky to use. The shower controls where also tricky and mid shower the water went ice cold! To use the shower you also had to step into the bath, the bath was quite deep! It was a struggle to clamber back out and I am not elderly. My other issue which was not entirely the hotels fault but should have been addressed was the behaviour of some ot the other guests. Our neighbours left their children locked into the bedroom whilst they drank at the bar. The mother kept coming back throughout the night to check them. These children should not have been left alone in room. Worst still at 1.30 am the parents where so drunk they didn’t know what room their friends where in and where banging on our door. The very simple fact is, this is a lovely establishment and these people should have not been served more alcohol. Their children where left alone, and this morning they where roaming in and out of the dining room in their pjyamas and taking food back to their room!

Set in a beautiful locatation and very pleasant. Affordable for our 1 night stay. I would stay again and make use of the ppl and gym.

I loved everything about this place it's very very big inside, the staff are second to none with regards to helpfulness and willing to do things for the guests, I emailed them a few days before asking about candles on our room as it was a romantic getaway from the children for me and the wife, I was greeted by this in my room.

Staff young and under trained. Gym equipment limited. No hot water during our stay, and forgot to deal with complaints about no hot water. Breakfast food kept running out amd staff not checking and refilling.

Location and plenty of parking. Rooms were clean, but dark.

I had 9x rooms booked and all had no hot water one evening. TV's were a bit hit and miss, some worked, some didn't. Room billing for bar drinks was irratic, one was room overcharged for drinks.

The location was good and the staff are very friendly.

The toaster in the breakfast restaurant doesn't do its job very well and it would be good to have hot plates for the hot breakfast.

For me it was handy for the friends I was visiting but it's also an attractive location just outside Swindon. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom modern and clean.

• Standard Twin Room

We arrived at 2pm on Friday afternoon. The bar isn't manned and we had to look for someone to order a pot of tea. We had no hot water whilst we were there - boiler failure; this was just one of those things, not ideal. They offered compensation with free breakfast but we were on a half board rate and had to ask for a reduction. The evening meal was poor; room was cold, one meal was cold and had to be re-done so we effectively ate alone and the cheddar on the cheese board had been replaced with an awful allergy tolerant alternative. We were offered a free meal as compensation which was withdrawn as we were half board and replaced with two soft drinks from the bar. I negotiated free wine but it shouldn't matter what basis you have booked.I have written to them and requested a further adjustment to the bill after reflecting on the whole experience.

Breakfast was good; serving staff were very young and inexperienced but tried hard.

The shower screen in the bathroom didn't fit properly therefore the floor got wet and dangerously slippery after a shower. The tap was partly broken. A fire alarm went off around 3am. No member of staff came to check on the rooms to tell us to evacuate. For those of us who did go outside, there was no member of staff checking names and room numbers and none had on Hi Vis jackets identifying who they were. An extremely poor fire policy which, had it been a real fire, would almost certainly have resulted in many casualties. I did make convey this to the receptionist when we were checking out and she said that they were due to have a safety briefing soon. I hope that you tighten up whatever policy you have because it was very clearly not working.

Full English breakfast was very expensive.

Robert at FOH was great. The location was very clean. The lobby area was quite. The standard of the place was well kept.

• Standard Twin Room

The property is very tired with furnishings and facilities needing refurbishment. I asked to move rooms because of the strong smell of smoke. The TV was very small with only 2 working channels.

It was cheaply priced

• Standard Twin Room

My husband was very poorly after eating breakfast and staff had to clean it up which he’d never been that sick before also when we arrived the room was not ready and too small but within 30 minutes Staff did act on it

Television in room did not work when reported to reception they said they would come and have a look but never turned up. I could not get the Clock radio in room to work either and it went off at four in the morning!! No decaf option for tea so could not have a drink - did buy my own though. Breakfast was poor it was cold, orange juice had ran out.

Bed comfortable shower was powerful. Members of staff on morning shift very helpful and polite. Did give me a reduction for the breakfast

All rooms should have basic facilities, like hair dryer, nice toiletries provided, your hotel looked good but in reality it had nothing. I’ve stayed in cheaper that we’re much better.

Room small for the price; toilet making noise all night and sliding doors from the coffee facilities in our room wouldn’t slide.

Halls, restaurant and bars very specious

Room very basic for a 4 star hotel. Breakfast bacon cold, scrambled eggs disgusting. Check in no information given about times of breakfast where it was no mention of leisure facilities l asked for the information not very forth coming. I have stayed in numerous hotels and never left feedback until this one. I travel to Swindon a lot and will not be staying here again.

The place is big so you could be in a large dining hall on your own service was good if to many people weren’t there then the two people were stretched tv is rubbish has been forever they need to get it sorted 3 stations that’s all

The food Is good location is great and rooms are nice people very friendly and helpful 👍

No air conditioning. So it was quite warm during the night so we had to open the window however it was minus 2. This was a minor issue however

We had a great stay. We spent the evening at the bar area. The man behind the bar John Brennan was very helpful and friendly. We had lovely food and the room was first class. We can't wait for our next visit

television size was tiny and really old fashioned. I think my mobile phone screen is larger.

bigger than average rooms but always the risk of a large conference or dinner taking place due to its target market.

• Standard Twin Room

times when breakfast is served could be extended

check in was quick. the bedroom was very comfortable with plenty of room. The pool facilities were great. There was such a selection for breakfast and everything was cooked to perfection and hot. A great stay in summary.

Lack of bar staff considering the amount of guests pre planned. Main bar had one person working on it all night and she didn’t look happy to be there at all. In the function bar the tap beer was warm and only serving bottles.

Great hotel and location.

• Standard Twin Room

We ordered food at the bar with a lager and a bottle of sparkling water. My wife wasn't hungry so she only had a side salad. The bar wasn't busy and the beer arrived at the table, but no water, I asked again and was told it was coming. The food arrived but still no water, baring in mind it was pre paid for. Half way through our meal I had to again ask for the sparkling water. It finally arrived about 15 minutes after the meal. I then tried the lager and it was off, but by then I just couldn't be bothered. At 7-40am there was a knock on the door even with the "do not disturb" sign outside. This has happened in a few hotels, I think if you say its for business then housekeeping know and try to get an early start as most business travellers are out of the room early.

The gym was OK

The rooms are basic and tired, the food provided at lunch time is awful, especially if you're vegetarian but even if you're not it's not good food. The gym is ok. The value for money is poor

The facilities provided for the conferences are good

• Standard Twin Room

The bed wasn't that comfortable and we couldn't get the room warm, so ended up asking for another double duvet. Also we only had 3 channels on the TV. BBC1, ITV and Sky news.

The food in the restaurant was not up to standard. Some of our party were served cold food that should have been hot. The steak pie was appalling. Cardboard pastry and just 3 pieces of meat. The waiters tried hard to rectify but the problem was in the kitchen. The chef should be sacked!! Needless to say we ate at The Calley Arms the next night which was fantastic.

The staff were like lovely. Very friendly and couldn’t do enough.

• Standard Twin Room

Room service poor, ordered a cheeseboard which came as just cheese, no bread or crackers, yum! Lol Also no water in rooms and only 2 TV channels, both badly tuned in

Staff very friendly

Tea making facilities were hidden away inside wardrobe as we only stayed overnight didn't find them until we were leaving

Staff extremely pleasant and helpful

It’s more of a conference centre than a hotel and I didn’t feel this came across in the blurb in booking.com. The window was broken and wouldn’t close and the tv only picked up three channels - all of them fuzzy. If you were attending a conference or in business it would be a great place to stay but other than that it’s not really suitable.

The pool was very nice

Arriving on a very cold day to find the window of the bedroom wide open and the room freezing cold was not a good start.

Finishing serving breakfast at 9:00 a.m. is ridiculous!

The hotel needs a coffee shop, especially as we wanted coffee and maybe a muffin when we came out of the pool but the don't have that, we asked for coffee and it took over half an hour for it to arrive and it was almost cold we were offered no sweeter to go with it and it tasted like instant coffee, at £3.95 a cup we expected something better, in the bar area they have a lot of space being wasted and I'm sure that other leisure users would welcome a hot drink and a cake, the Alexandra hotel needs to look into this as not only good for guests and leisure members but would run into profit. Also the bathroom in our room was dirty and there was no toilet paper.

The staff were very friendly and nothing was to much trouble.

Blood stain on sheets. Mattress was too soft could feel the springs. Breakfast was not buffet due to lack of staff we were told. Then our food order came out wrong and cold. Restaurant was closed for dinner in the evening had to drive 5 miles to nearest restaurant.

Location for our trip was good for what we needed.It was clean and we enjoyed the pool.

I don't have anything bad to say per se, but it is a little basic for a 4 star hotel. No modern furnishings or equipment. Breakfast leaves a little to be desired. Nothing bad, lots perfectly good, but not much that stood out as exceptional save for the wonderful staff.

The staff, despite having the burden of working on NYE, were exceptional, friendly, and keen to make sure we had everything we needed or wanted. Can't rate them highly enough

My room (105) was next to a cupboard or storage area, I got woken at 0745 and the noise continued to the point at 0830 I gave up due to metal trolleys rattling past and went to breakfast. Didnt get to bed till 2am after event so was pretty tired all day.

Staff were helpful, room was as expected and clean. Room size was ok and breakfast staff were helpful. Check in and out seemless.

No mobile phone reception!! TV was rubbish, only 3 channels.. extremely noisy due to parties at the hotel.. no room service menu!! I left a ‘Do Not Disturb’ sign on the door and was disturbed 3 times by the same cleaner during the one morning, after explaining each time that I didn’t want my room serviced!!!

Wi-fi was good

Beautiful hotel, but sadly service was very, very bad, clearly there is a problem due to the hotel recently being taken over and the drinks were very expensive, dearer than where I live in London. The restaurant was very poorly managed and could have been so much better with a little thought and additional experienced staff input. We were asked if we wanted to taste our wine, we said yes please, the waitress poured one glass full, banged the bottle on the table and walked off - Basil Fawlty would have been proud! Would not recommend this hotel.

As said Pillows ... optional feather being availablep

Good sized room additional robe n slippers a perk but pillows were in my opinion like bricks Feather options would of been best

No childs bed available, well there was for £15 surcharge, no towels, toiletries or toilet roll on arrival. Reception never picked up calls. Buffet breakfast was OK but luke warm not much of a selection. Paint was peeling in the bathroom, very old tv in the bedroom with only 5 channels, no additional bedding.

Not much

The hotel is comfortable and the staff are pleasant but the food in the restaurant and bar really let this hotel down. The food is over priced and not good.

Bed was really uncomfortable, I think the mattress had seen better days! Breakfast was from 8am, arrived at 8.02 and the food was cold, below warm. Not very appetising In the evening there were no snacks available other than room service

Large room, which was good for having the dog with us. Also it was close to an exit on the ground floor

• Standard Twin Room

Rooms are poorly lit. The showers are difficult to get to the right temperature and stay there - need to be replaced with modern themostatic units

Pool - had a swim each evening. My second week at AH, so no surprises.

• Standard Twin Room

Some members of staff could learn a thing or two from the receptionist, they were at times quite rude.

Erica on reception was great, welcoming and very helpful. Comfortable bed, good size rooms.

Breakfast wasnt included

The room was big light and modern. Very nice room and very impressed for the price. Staff were friendly and helpful. Would return again

There was a problem with the gas at the time so it was very cold and the toliet roll holder was also very loose

The staff were extremely kind and helpful

• Standard Twin Room

Rooms are poorly lit - could do with brighter light by wardrobe/mirror. Pool changing rooms need updating.

Requires little effort or interaction - an undemanding stay. Pool was good and not busy.

• Standard Twin Room

Cold shower - couldn’t rotate the control to hot - even when I forced it to hot the temperature was very variable

Helpful check in even though I was running late due to traffic. Countryside location and relatively easy drive into Swindon. Anonymous, no hassle accommodation whilst working away.

They only gave you enough shower gel each day for one person not two! the TV did not work at all and although they informed us of that no-one came to fix it and we were there three days! The cooked breakfast was greasy and horrible. The bacon and sausages were poor quality, the dinners were bland so you had to eat out all the time and when I was ill and we had to stay in the hotel one evening they tried to fiddle us when it came to the bar menu they gave us some poor quality crisps things and didn't give us the chunky chips as described on the menu.

The bed was extremely comfortable. It was a very quiet area, far away from anything or anyone. The staff were friendly although inexperienced.

• Standard Twin Room

Had tv issues only 3 channels the entire time, I stayed. They lost my Laundry for 2 days. They put 2 twin beds together, to make the bed larger then it seemed,

Didn’t like the fact that we didn’t have full television viewing within the rooms. Only had ITV, Sky News and not BBC as written on the paperwork in the room.

Food was cold at breakfast half hour after it opened. The restaurant team didn't seem interested of guests.

Good parking. Easy to find. Layout fairly simple. Reception good check in.

Paid extra for an upgrade, very small bathroom, room was ok but not great. Large hotel, no ambiance:-(

Pool and steam room were good, changing rooms however need a little TLC

No tv Unable to fix as it was. The weekend . Two days in a room reading the paper Went for swim lockers still on old pound coin went to town got lost just got £60 fine. So glad to be home

We checked the website for the leisure facilities as that was part of the reason we booked. On the site it stated they were out of order the dates we booked so we didn't bring anything like swimwear. However when we arrived all was working. This was quite infuriating especially as it was one of the reasons we booked. The TV in the room was not working either. No one offered any compensation for the error on the website despite us mentioning this.

We ate in the bar where the staff were great and the food was good.

• Standard Twin Room

The staff were friendly but some needed better training and understaffed. The food was not too nice but the chips were amazing. The coffee was horrible and there was no obvious place to get coffee in the day- found some eventually. Large glass of wine for £7.25 is taking the mick! No cold water in the shower or bath - unusual complaint I know!

The pool was really good. Everywhere was clean. Basic décor, slightly lacking in effort and style - functional and comfy though.

The T.v is a little on the small side compared to other hotel chains that we have stayed in. Also it only had 3 channels on it.

The bed was lovely and comfortable. The breakfast was good. We had tea in the hotel restaurant which was lovely.

We were left without our dinner. We waited for our order about one hour and after reminding the dinner was served. But it was awful: cold grilled chicken, cold chips, cold burger, old and dirty vegetables. So, there was no dinner for any of us including my son.

I stayed one night in Alexandra House with my family. I'd like to share my experience with others. I'd like to underline that I will NOT recommend this place and I can explain... First, we were left without our dinner. We waited for our order about one hour and after reminding the dinner was served. But it was awful: cold grilled chicken, cold chips, cold burger, old and dirty vegetables. So, there was no dinner for any of us including my son. It was a problem with the shower in our room, it didn't work properly. We could not watch TV. It was a note that only 3 channels are available at the moment but it was only 1 channel. Only one positive thing is a nice and clean swimming pool which we enjoyed.

Not enough staff to cope in restaurant And although staff in morning were very nice same again but food was excellent but very slow because of lack of staff and some of the food and plates were cool instead of hot shame excellent place

We felt that all the staff had only had the minimum training and customer service was not very good. No welcome, lack of eye contact, no smiles, slow to respond although not exactly unhelpful The restaurant menu was limited although the food we chose was tasty but I felt it was a compromise rather than a real choice There were no condiments on the table either at dinner or breakfast There was no decaffeinated coffee to be had in the hotel!! The shower changed temperature by itself every 30 seconds! It also leaked under the screen

The room was a good size and a reasonable temperature The bed was comfortable and we seemed to be in a quiet area so we had a good night's sleep The public areas were spacious and there was room for everyone The price we paid for bed and breakfast was excellent!

Breakfast was cold, cold plates, cold food and ran out of most things, really really poor. One female member of staff was unhappy to be working. Lots of slamming of wine bottles while serving. Hospitality from her was not good at all!!

The setting, location and room were nice

Everything costs extra, not great when in the middle of nowhere.

It was ok, bit disappointing could be great little family hub for the weekends but not set up for family really.

Very welcoming, staff were very polite and informative, ample parking, quiet, the room was comfortable clean although the TV only had 3 channels at the time we would definitely be back. Breakfast was well laid out and very nice and lots of variety and quantity.