Reviews of Angel House 3 stars

43 Marlborough Street, Derry Londonderry, BT48 9AX, United Kingdom

#20 of 29 B&Bs and Inns in Derry Londonderry

Based on 269 B&B reviews

• Deluxe Twin Room

Under the carpet in the middle of our room were several loose floor boards which were very tricky to walk on without tripping. This was in room #7. I brought this to the attention of our host who seemed surprised.

Our room was very nicely decorated, although the door did not close properly with using the key.,breakfast was excellent.

• Single Room with Private External Bathroom

Pretty close to city centre but not exactly in the city centre. Hence, the price should be a little smaller than that. But still, all pros outweighted the cons during my stay in Angel house

Really tidy room, with one single and one double bed, private kettle, mugs, some biscuits, private bathroom, anytime check-in. Overall, great room for even a week stay.

Self check worked fine, but seemed a little lonely.

Great facility in a convenient location. The manager was super helpful and friendly. Breakfast was yummy.

The showers are a bit too cozy for larger framed Americans!

The Room was cozy & well appointed! The Breakfast was scrumptious! Easy parking on the street! Donna our hostess for breakfast could not have been nicer!

• Single Room with Private External Bathroom

Seemed nice online but no staff in the house when I arrived or that evening. I didn't see any staff until the next morning. There were no black out blinds in my single room so a lie in was impossible plus the neighbour started working with a noisy digger at 8am! The bathroom sink was blocked and shower not working. Also the TV didn't tune in and there was no Wi-Fi access so I couldn't get work done I needed to do for the next day. Nor even have a shower! Oh and the bathrobe in my room was dirty. When I mentioned this to the staff member at breakfast the next morning she rang the owner and he said he knew about the sink and shower?? No apologies, no discount - Just- "You still have to pay". I paid cash and so asked for a receipt and got a piece of paper torn off with the amount hand written on. I asked the staff member to sign it incase there were any problems later and she wouldn't sign her full name!! Very very disappointing. I would definitely recommend not staying here!! Absolute nightmare from start to finish unfortunately.

• Single Room with Private External Bathroom

In order to use your private bathroom, you had to go downstairs. It wasnt a big deal, but just not perfect. The bathroom was really good though - had a bath tub & a shower.

The staff were really nice and friendly! They had two dogs that were so fluffy and friendly too. The room was very nice, the bed extremely comfortable.

• Family Room

Not much they can do about, but it is on road parking however it was very easy to find a space!

Never seen such a range of different type of pillows to choose from. Nice big room and the people were very friendly! Quiet location but I would say a bit longer walk to the centre of town than expected - but it is no more than 15/20 mins and I needed the walk anyway :)

The hills in Derry!!!!

Loved the beds, electrically operated and very comfortable. The room was spotlessly clean and so was the bedding. Great selection of breakfast choices. Friendly, warm and welcoming. Short walk into town.

There's a low ceiling on the top flight of the staircase, but no warning sign. Tall people should mind their head.

Easy to get to, close to town centre and places of interest, clean and quiet. Good service, polite and friendly staff, good breakfast.

• Single Room with Private External Bathroom

Bed was on the small size, also would have preferred a private, rather than a shared loo, but as I was only there for one night, it was OK.

Easy check in, excellent breakfast, great value for money, reasonable location.

• Family Room

We were in Ireland for 8 nights. Different place each night. This was our favorite. Room was modern. Had much space. Bathroom big with great shower. Located a few blocks from city area.

Payment only by cash, a little far from city center (but near to the Free Derry Museum)

It looks more like a B&B instead of a hotel. The room is small but very clean and comfortable. It was cold in Derry during our visit but the heating in the room works really well. Great breakfast, you can ask for coffee, tee, eggs and toast, and then they prepare for you, all fresh and warm! The stuffs are very kind and helpful.

• Deluxe Twin Room

Amazing range at breakfast - couldn't fault the effort gone to by the establishment at all. It would be nice to get more than one egg, but I honestly couldn't bring myself to ask as there was already so much on offer. I was starting to worry about what would happen to all the leftovers! Slept much more soundly here than at Serendipity House across the road.

• Deluxe Twin Room

The new upgrade facility was very nice but unfortunately it’s incompleted. The curtain failed off on us, the coffee area had no outlet so I had to heat the water on the floor and sat there watching make sure no one accidentally kicked it. The first night we checked in the key broke. Little things.... but it was bummed.

Breakfast could have been on or run a little later, especially over the weekend (when guests would be out late!)

Warm, comfortable, short walk from the guild hall & main shopping areas. Donna was lovely, very welcoming & a pleasure to deal with

We actually needed to go to another building to have breakfast, which was a little strange. When we got back from breakfast, there was a leak in our bedroom ceiling, specifically over my open suitcase. When we reached the lady working there, she saw it as something normal and tried and give us stupid solution. The only solution she found was to offer us her drier.

Nice location, clean and nice room and bathroom (although very very small)

Did not receive email explaining self check -in procedure and stood in rain outside property before anyone answered the intercom. Had no personal contact with anyone at the property. Owner also forgot to inform us that the breakfast was being served in another b&b across the street. So we received no breakfast at all and according to the welcome book we where to pay cash next morning only to discover owner had taken money from bank already. Very unhappy with the treatment we received and won't be back again .

Room was tasteful buy very very small

The room was much to small and very cramped we found it much too hard to navigate, I have never seen such a small room and I have stayed in a lot of places. No where at all to put any clothes, no furniture or chest of drawers, no wardrobes and TV reception very very poor. Also the room was boiling hot even though we turned off the heating and had the window wide open. Felt no privacy at all and we did not sleep therefore impacting on our overall city break.

The breakfast and Donna the girl who served us was absolutely fabulous and very friendly and made our stay as pleasant as possible.

Didn't have toilet paper and there was a cleaning rag on my bed when I arrived.

Breakfast was good, though a little inconvenient to walk down the street for it.

Self checking worked well, received email with details before our stay. Room was small but clean and comfortable apart from damage to ceiling and a little mildew in the shower. We booked bed and breakfast but unfortunately didn’t get breakfast as the dining room was closed and no staff were on site. It had been explained that staff were available through an intercom system. I mentioned it to the lady when we checked out who said we should have got an email to say breakfast was being served across the road in a sister B&B. I checked afterwards and I had received an email the night before. However as I was on leisure time I had not been accessing my emails. Staff apologised. Needless to say we left very hungry in the morning! All being said it was a comfortable stay in a clean B&B

Comfy Beds and lovely big Pillows

Would have preferred a 12 check out time but understand why this isnt possible

Great staff. Beautiful decor. Convenient check in/key collecting system

Room 4...The coat hanger was outside the room on the floor,should have been on the wall in the bedroom. The chain on the basin plug was broken. Next door extractor fan ran all night and I got very little sleep. In room 3 there was no shower curtain in the shower, resulting in water spraying over the floor area. My friend tried to clean up the wet floor as best he could. The shower head was loose and the water was not hot enough.

N. B. We were changed to Serendipity B/B. The host was very welcoming and a pleasure to deal with. My room (4) was clean and bed comfortable.

• Deluxe Twin Room

We thought that the room was grossly over priced, we had anticipated three nights but had to find another location more suitable this we did so onle a short distance up the road. Seriously, I cannot rate the B&B to anyone.

The room had no heating, there was a hole in the floor covered by the carpet, one could have easily have broken one ankle, needless to say we had to dodge the hole, the ensuite was unfinished

• Single Room with Private External Bathroom

Only tiny issue I had was that it was a little bit cold.

great system for checking in. Room was cosy. The bathroom was gorgeous and it was an easy distance from the city centre. Staff very friendly and welcoming. Breakfast was lovely. Would definitely stay again.

• Single Room with Private External Bathroom

I was expecting from the reviews to be in a room with a view. But as a single woman travelling a lone I was assigned to a single bedroom at the back of the house, and felt disadvantaged.

being above St. Eugene's, the lovely breakfast and help of the person who provided it.

• Single Room with Private External Bathroom

Very clean room with kettle and TV. Absolutely loved the private bathroom with jacuzzi bath. Everyone so friendly and approachable. Excellent breakfast in Serendipity B&B. Great value for money. Short walk into town and very close to shop. Will be back and will recommend to others.

Check your e-mail before going: you get a code to a lock before hand. We did not know this and had to wait in the rain for someone to appear. There was some cracks in the bathroom due to poor construction. It was all rather impersonal. The check in and payment systems (e.g. 5% fee if paying with non-UK card) should be more explicit in the B&B description page.

Breakfast was very nice. The room was not very big but had a nice decor.

Sound proofing rather thin. Honeymooning (?) couple nearby made a joint racket loud enough to send me out to the pub more than once to escape. No desk suitable for laptop use with power point etc.

Good value. Comfortable, if small, rooms. Nice breakfast. Friendly staff. Close to the town/sights.

• Single Room with Private External Bathroom

The check-in process was pretty easy but I didn't receive an email with important instructions for checking in, including which room I was to have, until a few hours before I arrived. As I was traveling from overseas, I began traveling many hours before I finally arrived at the hotel, tired and unprepared for the enigma of check-in. I would have appreciated having advance notice of their check-in process as I was quite tired and frustrated. Also, while the building itself was adequately heated, my room was very cold as was the bathroom.

The room was small but very clean and the bed was really comfortable. The bed and breakfast is very well-located up the hill with an excellent view of the city and close to an absolutely gorgeous park. The breakfast was good and the host who prepared it was helpful and friendly but not intrusive. It's a very nice, quiet place and quite a bargain.

Room was very hot and the heater could not be turned off easily; the bed is quite small for two people sleeping.

The house was a little bijoux and the easiness of accessing even though we arrived a bit late is a plus: external key lockers will come to your help witjhout letting you outside the property!

• Deluxe Twin Room

a bit of DW40 on the most of the doors ,it was a bit squeeky trying to be quite while coming in at 2 in the morning

the bed was amazing ,friendly staff ,breakfast was great and good value for money

Tiny room, reasonably clean though. Super loud in the morning. Starting at 6am the owners and staff were slamming things around and running up and down the stairs. This happened both mornings. Breakfast was tasty and had nice variety. Location was up a steep hill but still pretty close to all the sights. Overall an okay value for what I spent.

Breakfast wasn’t great and whilst eating my breakfast the waiter beside me let out a lovely big burp.

I received a warm welcome and friendly staff to show me the facilities.The room was lovely and bed was very comfy.

Room was nice but way too small and layout was not that convenient. It was difficult to move around the bed. It took a long time to cool off the room since the thermostat did not adjust when turned.

The room was cute, bed was comfy and it was nice to have the small mirror table and water bottle in the room.

• Single Room with Private External Bathroom

Extremely comfortable B&B. Friendly staff, helpful and accommodating. I also recommend this place if you’re looking for somewhere quiet and peaceful to relax. Breakfast was lovely to, good variety.

There wasn't anything we didn't like, we fortunately had a car. It would have been a struggle getting to the property without one. The property is at the top of a hill.

Staff were very friendly, breakfast was lovely, we would stay there again.

• Single Room with Private External Bathroom

Description was a bit vague on Booking.com so was unaware that my room was not en suite until I arrived. However, I had exclusive use of a bathroom on the floor below.

Very friendly & breakfast was excellent. Gorgeous front patio area.

• Family Room

A lot of steps up to the property. Would not be suitable for elderly people.

Very comfortable bed, very clean, friendly host. Breakfast was excellent. Bathroom was a little small.

• Single Room with Private External Bathroom

Good for parking and walking to town and bogside. It's in a residential area and a bit hilly so I was fine

Lovely! Cute and cosy room, very clean and tidy with tea and coffee and bathrobe. Seems to be recently updated, particularly the bathrooms as there were excellent furnishings and everything felt lovely and crisp and cosy. The breakfast was fantastic, with hot eggs, as well as pancakes and scones and more. The hosts were lovely and accommodating. Good location, an easy walk to the centre of town or boside

Lots of steps to the front door. Then up three flights to the room. Bedroom door would not stay shut, unless locked. The inside handle was falling off. Minimal storage space.

Helpful staff who pointed out the nearest pub and Chinese take-away. Nice breakfast.

Up two flights of steps. Narrow street with limited parking. Not a B&B in someone's home

Very friendly woman in charge of breakfast & payment. Very convenient to city centre Owner's Pinocchio obsession.

Not an issue for us, however some guests need to be aware of flight of steps from street level up to pavement level before accessing the front door. Speak to the owner to see what assistance may be available.

An unusual street in that pavement and properties are high above the street. We loved it. It is an easy downhill 10 minute or less walk in to Derry centre and the castle wall. Accommodation is lovely. Good breakfast choices.

• Single Room with Private External Bathroom

Ceilings on stairs are low and I bumped my head. A warning sign for tall people would be useful. Room was not ensuite. I had a dedicated bathroom but this was on a separate floor of the accommodation which was awkward. The Wifi Signal was hit and miss.

The location is convenient to the town centre and staff were very friendly.

• Reviewed: 2 June 2017

We had lost the key (or thought we had) and the owner was very accommodating and got us in, even though it was very late at night. Key turned up th next morning, but I believe this is the sign of a professional innkeeper. Not when everything is easy, but when your guests throw you a curve. Thanks again

• Single Room with Private External Bathroom

i cannot think of anything to complain about. my stay was very good all round.

it was a nice quiet area. all the facilities i needed were there. the staff were efficient and helpful.

• Reviewed: 26 April 2017

The only downside was the hills that we had to climb but really wasn't a problem!kept us fit if anything else!

Angel House was very clean and tidy! My partner and I went for an overnight stay and headed out that night to a gig! The hotel was fairly close and easy to find! I wish I could have commented on the breakfast but as we over slept we missed out :( but I'm sure it would have been ace!

If I was staying a little longer, I would like access to an ironing board & iron.

Cleanliness, comfortable room, very nice dining area, friendly greeting on arrival & friendly, helpful staff.

• Reviewed: 10 March 2017

• Single Room with Private External Bathroom

I was moved across the street to their other b&b the Serpendipity because their was painting going on in Angel House. So the Serpendipity was just painted and was strong all night, then there was plastering going on at 7.30pm, overall not my best stay

breakfast was nice and host very attentive

• Single Room with Private External Bathroom

I had a single room which I booked and was lovely, however didn't realise bathroom was on a different floor and not en suite.

The bed was very comfortable, sheets lovely and fresh 👍 Good selection of items for breakfast.

• Single Room with Private External Bathroom

It is a wee bit of a walk, not impossible but a bit of a dander. If your in a car though, no problem, 2 minutes from the centre.

Warm, comfortable, great price, lovely breakfast, fantastic staff.

• Reviewed: 6 February 2017

Some might find the rooms a little small, but I thought they were fine.

Nice, cosy B&B with friendly staff. The rooms are exactly as shown in the pictures. Great location, very quiet street but only takes 5 minutes to town centre. I'll definitely come back!

• Reviewed: 25 October 2016

Very warm and welcoming upon arrival. Home-like feel. Very comfortable and clean room. Fantastic breakfast. Lots of options, warm cooked meal! Walking distance to restaurants and city center for sight seeing.

• Reviewed: 20 October 2016

Our room was a little on the small side but still comfortable.

Angel House is well located within walking distance of Derry's attractions and has convenient street parking. Steve is a friendly host and provides a hearty breakfast. The facilities are neat and very clean.

• Reviewed: 22 September 2016

The room was small - tiny and therefore a bit hot.

Breakfast was lovely. Great idea to have all guests sitting around a round table, we all chatted it was lovely.

• Reviewed: 20 September 2016

• Single Room with Private External Bathroom

Hills but that can't be helped!

A perfect single room with all you need. Bathroom a floor down but very spacious and nice and all for me. Paul was a gracious and helpful hist and provided a sumptuous breakfast. Close to town but with the hills definitely require some fitness. Beautiful park very close by.

• Reviewed: 7 September 2016

Great location in the bog side, friendly staff aswell room and bathroom were very clean and the breakfast was awesome value for money all round thank you

• Reviewed: 26 August 2016

Parking is in the street and if you arrive in the evening there's a chance you won't get a parking spot. It is on the side of a steep hill with lots of stairs just to get to the front door.

Beautiful old building. Close to centre. Easy taxi ride to anywhere a little further out. Quiet area and house. Good breakfast. Lovely host.

• Reviewed: 13 July 2016

• Single Room with Private External Bathroom

Lovely room. Small however ideal for one person. Access to fabulous bathroom of which I had sole use. Proprietor knew I had friends staying in another of his properties across the road so arranged for me to have breakfast with them. I will be back.

• Reviewed: 9 July 2016

• Single Room with Private External Bathroom

Was charged an extra 5% because I paid by credit card.site says it accepts cards but no prior note of surcharge

My "private bathroom" was down on floor below. No dressing gown so need to get dressed to use bathroom.

Very friendly staff Helpful & Informative about thel l ocation

Expected a Continental breakfast of Croissants etc, actually got a hot breakfast, nice surprise.

Small rooms, stuffy on hot nights

Friendly staff, convenient location, good breakfast, very quiet

Stairs

Thr beds were good

larger bathroom and shower

Everything!

Lovely building

• Family Room

Excellent room, great bed and and shower, good location, self checking really handy, really good breakfast

Walking up the hill to location

Comfortable bed, very good shower, breakfast set up + great staff

I liked everything

Excellent all round. Breakfast was great, service was also great. Would definitely stay here again.

Lots of stairs

Close to town. Good selfservice breakfast

Friendly staff, lovely room, great breakfast, comfy beds and close to town.

Excellent in every way. Lovely breakfast too.

Nice selection for the breakfast menu. Very close to attractions and bars and restaurants. Would highly recommend to anybody. Staff were great also.

Main door entry

Very clean; v good service at breakfast

Room and bathroom were too small. Didn't like check in procedure. It was very impersonal.

Comfortable bed.