Reviews of Ardmillan Hotel 2 stars

#116 of 138 hotels in Edinburgh

• Reviewed: 22 September 2018

Awful
    • Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

The dirty headboards. Dirty towels. Sharing a bathroom with 2 other rooms. Ripped bedding. Ripped net curtains. A curtain that didn't reach the sides and was badly frayed. A kettle that had to be put on the floor to boil as the wire was too short. Uncomfortable beds. We paid for 5 nights and only stayed one no refund was offered!!! Very expensive for what it was. Would not recommend ANYONE to stay there. Horrendous. Ardmillan has NOT been in contact despite leaving my email address and they also had my mothers....terrible service.

• Reviewed: 9 September 2018

Great location, but lots of problems.

You can feel the springs in the mattress. Had only about 3 minutes of WIFI in our room in 3 nights. Only two electrical sockets in the room. Had to dry my hair far away from a mirror.. The shower head was broken and slid down. Shower curtain wrapped around your body. No black out curtains. The street lights lit up the room through the curtains. Thin walls -could hear the snoring in the next room. Room was very warm and couldn't open the windows.

The staff was awesome especially Shannon and Sharon. The breakfast was very good. The bus stop was a minute away to get into town. Room was very cute. This is an old hotel; therefore we understood some of the problems. Enjoyed the pub downstairs. Great water pressure and hot water.

Very good location, just a nice 20-minute walk from the...
    • Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

The price was a bit high for a room with shared toilet and showers. Having done a route through Scotland, this was our most expensive stay and sadly the one that left more to desire.

Very good location, just a nice 20-minute walk from the Edinburgh Castle. The staff was very friendly. The lady serving breakfast couldn't do enough for you. Very nice continental breakfast, perfect to recharge energy for the touristy day!

You can forget this adress. The price is scandalous for such a low quality.
    • Classic Twin Room

No possibility to leave without having paid all the nights. An old Hotel, the bathromm was not modern at all. Vert noisy and expansive for a bad quality Hotel.

Great location off street parking within three miles of Edinburgh centre.
    • Classic Twin Room

We had a street light outside our room which made it light in the room. This didn't bother us and this replicates our own house and even the heaviest of curtains doesn't really stop the light coming in so check with staff your room number if this is going to be an issue

This is a nice clean old fashioned hotel in a great location with off street parking within three miles of City Centre. Comfortable bed and very good cooked breakfast. Don't expect 5 star facilities it is not a modern hotel but is clean and tidy and I understand that they are upgrading the rooms. However if just want a comfortable room with small writing/studying area which gives you access to Edinburgh by bus from outside the door then this is for you.

Lovely place to stay, excellent breakfast and very helpful and friendly staff.

We booked three rooms with ensuite. Two were fresh and bright. One was obviously next on the list for decorating but still comfortable and sufficient for our needs.

Rooms were comfortable with everything we needed. Unfortunately the wifi was not working. This seems to be a common problem with most of the hotels we have stated in lately! Breakfast was served by the lovely Sharon. She brightened our mornings with her banter and quick wit!

• Reviewed: 18 August 2018

Convenient short bus ride from Princes Street.
    • Classic Twin Room

The shower did not work properly, the on and off switch was broken and we ended up with a wet bathroom floor until we figured it out. The radiators were on when we arrived, despite it being a warm day, and the windows could not be opened.

We have stayed here before during the Edinburgh Festival. The staff are very pleasant and helpful. We were able to leave our bags while we were out during the day after we had checked out.

Convenient for me, with parking, always a bonus in Edinburgh.
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Shared bathroom. Fire alarms going off at 4am and no staff immediately available.

Convenient for me, with parking, always a bonus in Edinburgh. Comfortable enough.

• Reviewed: 27 July 2018

ticked all of our boxes
    • Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

My sister and I were visiting family in Edinburgh and so the location was ideal and parking was a bonus. Because of our timetable of visits, we didn't eat at the Hotel but the breakfast menu looked delicious and what we saw plated up looked appetizing.

Excellent stay ,Edinburgh great place
    • Classic Double Room

Location was a little bit out of the way but is a bus stop opposite , kettle in room could of been a bit better the lead was too short we had to put on the floor to boil .

Breakfast was excellent great room friendly staff

I Don't do that. I've been well educated
    • Classic Twin Room

IT looked more a one person room with an extra bed than a two persons. One side table, one light, one armchair, no place to open your suitcase. Very noisy Way out of the centre. Expensive for what they offer.

10 min drive from Edinburgh town center or 30 min walk.
    • Classic Twin Room

Old house turned into hotel with squeaky walls and floors and no sound insulation between rooms.

10 min drive from Edinburgh town center or 30 min walk.

Great hotel!
    • Classic Double Room

The staff was really nice. Whether at the bar, the reception or at breakfast, you are always greeted with a smile and a great service. Felt super comfortable there before I even made it to the room. Would definitely recommend the hotel to anyone looking for a small, cozy hotel.

Ok stay but room for improvement for the price charged
    • Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

No shower door,water spray over floor.toilet not secured to the floor. Noisy room. Room very small. Dont expect to see vacuum cleaner and cleaning products to be left in hallway all day. Curtain raggy and not covering the window totally

Clean room and bathroom

Convenient location for an event I was attending.
    • Classic Double Room

The bathroom was small. I was prevented from using the mirror at the basin properly, because the wall was in the way.

Convenient location for an event I was attending.

Convenient
    • Classic Double Room

The beds were a bit out dated and could be replaced

Very central car park available and walking distance to laundorymat. Breakfast was good and it wasn't noisy

Good value for money.
    • Classic Twin Room

The fact that the closet almost fell apart after pushing it a little. And the beds are old.

The location, the staff, the breakfast in the morning, the price.

Nice little hotel with a lovely pub
    • Classic Double Room

no parking available and we had to search for two parkings along the street which was very stressful. In the description you promise that parkings are available, but there are only two real parkings spaces behind the hotel. This is absolutely not sufficient to say that parkings are available at the hotel.

Nice pub in the hotel. Friendly staff. Rooms are good. Breakfast good - very friendly people

Just an overnight stop on the way south - proved to be a good choice and so close to the city.
    • Classic Double Room

Didn't have breakfast so can't judge that. However, very clean, recently decorated. Good en-suite. Staff very helpful and friendly. Would stay there again.

Cheap but cheerful!
    • Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

Shared bathroom no proper shower door so water went all over the place...a notice in bathroom would be good ( saying 'in consideration of others pls tidy up after yourself!?'

Sharon was exceptionally friendly which I liked.Give her a pay rise.

Not recommended!
    • Classic Double Room

The car park was small for one car, hardly any spaces. I arrived late at night to find the window wide open and the room freezing cold! After a long flight I was just looking forward to going to bed, as you can imagine I was so annoyed. I then tried to settle with some Skygo, the WiFi was so bad that I turned it off, couldn’t watch anything. The curtains were AWFUL!!! The sun was so bright shining in at 6am that it woke me up before my alarm at 7.30, 1.5hour sleep LOST! And the shower! OH MY GOD! what a joke! I was really looking forward to a nice shower after being so mad, thinking it would cheer me up, NOPE! the temperature keep changing and the shower head kept falling! This made me so angry that I didn’t bother paying the extra for breakfast. Also there was noise and slamming doors, no respect for others. I was planning a nice relaxing morning before my new job interview the next day so you can imagine who annoyed I was! I was anxious enough without this! Seriously what a disappointment! This hotel seriously needs to up their game, all this is easy fixed!

Good service / clean and tidy / friendly staff / handy to daughters student digs 😄
    • Classic Double Room

No replacement hand towel in bathroom

Good service - clean room - friendly staff - nice breakfast - very handy to our daughter’s student accommodation - happy to recommend 😄

Visit this place.
    • Classic Double Room

Can't say anything bad. They were excellent.

Everyone was friendly and helpful. It is in a local community within Edinburgh but, unlike most places local, they weere very welcoming and a great laugh.

Cheap and cheerful.
    • Classic Double Room

Building and facilities could do with a bit more maintenance as I've had various bits & pieces fall off or break - and the light bulbs could do with being brighter (struggle to see to do any work).

Stay here often as it's very friendly, it's good value and in a good location for me.

Convenient location for the majority of Edinburgh sights at a much more reasonable price.
    • Classic Double Room

Heating could've been better - it was baltic in Edinburgh during our visit - so we had to use the electric heater overnight. The heater needs attention as one leg was broken. Rusted chrome/glass corner shelf in bathroom - served no real purpose and looks bad!

Room 2 is lovely and roomy with a massive window in the bedroom - not the best outlook but that didn't bother us. It has a double and single bed, dressing table and a storage cupboard with hanging space and an electric heater. Bathroom had an equally massive window considering the size of the room! Shower was great. Tea/coffee supplies were plentiful and a couple of packs of lovely biscuits. Free on-street parking right outside or at the back of hotel.

Outstanding Staff
    • Classic Double Room

I've stayed at The Ardmillan Hotel about 5 times and it's always a joy to stay there. I would never even think of staying anywhere else. It's in a great location with the airport, Murrayfield & Haymarket Station not too far. Tynecastle Stadium is 5 minutes round the corner, ideal for visiting supporters. There are bus stops directly outside that go to the city centre but the walk is very pleasant. Breakfast is always excellent it's made fresh for you there and then, not kept under a heater for an hour! The bar is great to just chill out with a few beers and is one of the cheapest places around. The locals are very friendly and always up for a laugh. Amanda, Jackie, Joanna, Emma, EVERYONE at the Ardmillan are outstanding and provide a welcoming, friendly atmosphere! Looking forward to the next visit!

Reasonable value for money.
    • Classic Double Room

Bed wasn't the most comfotable but fine for one night. Had read walls were thin and noise carried, but didn't realise quite how true until the people in the next room left at 6am.

The room was clean and roomy. Breakfast was plentiful.

The Ardmillan is a quaint, clean and reasonably priced hotel.

The Ardmillan is a quaint, clean and reasonably priced hotel. It is handy for the airport, Murrayfield and only a short walk to town. There are nice restaurants nearby also. The hotel bar is perfect for a few quiet (or noisy) drinks. The beer is good and the best priced we found. Jackie, Amanda and Joana are all excellent. We were treated with the best service I’ve ever seen a hotel; friendly and warm welcoming, just like a home away from home. We were also treated to some excellent music in the bar too. Sharon and Agata (the breakfast ladies) are just the same, Sharon could not do enough for us to accommodate sore heads in the mornings (including extra tattie scones) and ensured we had everything we needed in our rooms. I don’t know who the owner is but ALL these girls deserve a raise!! They provide a wonderful service and I would not hesitate to return. Thank you ladies for making our stay a wonderful experience.

Enjoyable stay.
    • Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

Its not that I didnt like anything. But the building is old and as a result things like the plumbing and decor could be modernised. But I had no complaints as things are, perfectly serviceable.

The hotel was a 5 minute bus journey both from Haymarket station and my destination (Edinburgh Corn Exchange) so a good location for me. The staff were friendly and helpful and made the stay more pleasant. There was a football crowd in the bar downstairs but I didn't hear them once I got to my room. At first I thought the bed was a little too stiff, but once I settled down for the night, it felt much better. I would certainly stay again, if I'm ever staying in the area again.

A short stay and excellent staff and the bar was really good with everyone chatty.
    • Classic Double Room

Found the stairs a bit hard as they were quite steep as I live in a bungalow so not used to climbing.

Lovely breakfast plenty to choose from and piping hot too.

It did the job
    • Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

Room could do with some maintenance, a bit dated all round, mould in the bathroom and the shower in the shared bathroom is either freezing cold or boiling hot

The location is ok as there are buses near by and it’s only £4 for a day ticket. It is also in walking distance taking about 30 minutes to walk into the centre. Staff were friendly

Excellent value for money in good location. Friendly and helpful staff.
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

The shared bathroom was very clean initially but not so by evening. This was possibly the fault of the guests rather than hotel staff.

A nice, clean, warm room. The bar downstairs looked very welcoming.

The price and the pub on the ground floor
    • Classic Double Room

One should have some real skill to take a shower in 4 mins. Otherwise it just turns off for the next 5-8 mins. And it's getting back just for another minute. It's been freezing in my room.

The price and the pub on the ground floor

The staff and general atmosphere of the hotel was great -...
    • Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

The staff and general atmosphere of the hotel was great - all were courteous and approachable. City centre very accessible and the locality safe with good facilities.

Does the important things well. Just the little things...
    • Classic Double Room

TV in room didn't work. WiFi was either weak or not working.

Does all the important things well. Bed was comfortable. Room was clean. Breakfast was good. Staff were friendly. Nice wee bar to relax in the evening

Great value , great staff
    • Classic Double Room

Nothing; it's basic but that's reflected in the price

Cracking small hotel great value for money . Lovely staff and great value for money breakfast

Perfect location and historical house

Wifi is poor

Except wifi everything is perfect. Hotel location is so close the city center and bus station. Hotel is historical house i really like it.

We had a lovely relaxing week
    • Classic Double Room

Room was clean, light and airy, we were able to open the windows if we wanted to. Didn't need the heaters at all even though it was mid October, room was warm enough without. The bed was extremely comfy and duvet was big enough not to have to keep pulling it back from each other!!! Plenty of sockets for recharging phones, cameras etc. Staff were lovely, very friendly and helpful. We only had breakfast on our last day but the food was well cooked exactly as we liked it, it was hot when served not just luke warm and tasted delicious. We were very happy there and would certainly use the hotel again and definitely recommend it.

Location was good with a 30 minute walk into city centre.
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Room was very small, and single bed mattress was not in great condition. Room was reasonably clean, but could have been cleaner.

Location was good with a 30 minute walk into city centre. Shared bathroom was clean.

A good hotel for a short stay.
    • Classic Double Room

The wifi service was the worst. We didn't almost receive any signal, even in the bar the signal wasn't good.

It was very easy to arrive to the hotel from the airport. The bus number 35 leave you very near to it. The room was cozy although it was a little small. The wardrobe was too tiny and we couldn't hang all the clothes we carried. So, we left them inside the suitcases. The centre of town is 30 minutes by foot. We didn't need to take any public transport.

Great value for money.
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Great value for money. Just a leisurely 15 minute stroll or short bus ride to the city centre (West end). First class breakfast & very pleasant & courteous staff. I would definitely return again, thank you.

Excellent value for money & a comfy place to lay your head
    • Classic Double Room

I had no issues on this visit

I've been a regular at the hotel for years but only to use their bar, it's one of the nicer ones in the area. But I moved away some time ago. On a fleeting visit to Edinburgh I thought it would be nice to see the place again so I booked the room. I work in a Five Star hotel & I can honestly say that this place provideds everything that my hotel does but with none of the pretention. The only thing missing from the room is a mini bar & that's fine, anyone who uses a mini bar has very little sense in their head. Bed was comfy, the room a decent size, very close to the city centre, staff very courteous, supremely good value. Highly recommend!

not recomendable hotel for tourists.
    • Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

Wifi was not opeŕate at room Only operate at bar but that place was narrow, crowded and noisy. I gave up to use WIFI.

It was calm due to few customers.

Much like the sign posted on the door, 2 star rating at best.
    • Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

The beds were very uncomfortable. Was like sleeping on 3 hay bales with a sheet on top. The pillows were awful as well. Woke up with my back hurting and was dreading the next night of sleep. The manager "Amanda" I think was her name. Not so friendly or informative.

Was nice that they offered some type of Breakfast. Also the Bartender "Lisa" Was super friendly and accommodating to our needs and questions. Nice that there was a pub so didnt have to go to far to have a few pints.

The hotel was ideally positioned with a bus stop opposite to travel into the main part of the city
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

The flex on the kettle could have been longer as it difficult to plug it in

The room with bathroom was ideal for my needs. The bed was very comfortable and I slept well. There was plenty of hot water

As expected for the price - clean, basic accommodation, fine for a bed to kip but nothing special.
    • Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

We were given a wifi code, but I couldn't find the network, which would have been frustrating for a longer visit.

Clean, basic accommodation. On a main bus route out of Edinburgh, so easy enough to get there without a car. Was concerned that the noise from the busy bar rooms would disturb us (I was travelling with my young daughter), but on the top floor we heard nothing and had a good night's sleep.

Not the best and we would not stay again.
    • Classic Double Room

The room it was dated there was no hanging space for clothes. The only cupboard in the room was the cleaners cupboard. The shower space was small and the control seemed to stiffen up after use. The television was a small screen mounted up high making it difficult to see it also had a fault lines going down the screen. All in all very disappointing after our previous hotel.

The staff and the breakfast and the service. Plenty of hot water.

i would reccomend this small well appointed hotel with excellent pub.
    • Classic Double Room

but on departure we had somebody else who was surly and abrupt.

nice size clean room. wifi, coffee, tea in room. very nice reception when we arrived in early evening.

Great value for location, easy bus transport

Room was very small, a little tough to manage 2 large suitcases

The location was great for the money. A car park was available and bus transport to the city center was across the street and only about 15 mins or less!

Our stay at Ardmillan Hotel
    • Classic Twin Room

Room was very tired & road was noisy. A fan would have been nice as it was too noisy to leave window open.

Staff friendliness, good breakfast, bus stop outside takes you straight to city centre in few minutes

Good basic accommodation with everything we needed.
    • Classic Twin Room

Two female friends staying for two nights during the Edinburgh Festival. We did not spend very much time at the hotel, but all the staff were very friendly and helpful. Prices during August are always outrageous in Edinburgh, but Ardmillan was easily reached by bus from Princes Street. We enjoyed having a bar there for a night cap after a long day in the city. We would book to stay here again.

The staff are very friendly and great fun.
    • Classic Twin Room

The staff are very friendly and great fun. Rooms a bit small but clean and great bar for quiet relaxing drink. Bus stop just across the street 4 pounds for a day ticket run every 15minutes.

Fine! Sep loo/shower so £70 per night max I would pay. Had to ask for a blanket cos I'm a southern w
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

No wifi in attic but not too bad as went on my allowance. The bus 4 and 44 stop outside directly to Princes St which is ideal - about 2 miles

No breakfast - 7.50

Pleasant stay
    • Classic Double Room

Fabulous breakfast. Very friendly staff. It's a 300 year old building- don't expect it to be something else, floors creak, rooms are small, bathrooms are tiny. Quaint pub style room in a great location. City bus at the doorstep.

Good value for money
    • Classic Twin Room

Location isn't the best but you know that going in as long as you look at a map. You can still walk to the main part of city but it is a bit of a walk.

Person who checked us in was very friendly & helpful. Good value for money.

Avoid this hotel :( A horrible end to our beautiful time in Scotland.
    • Classic Twin Room

It was a dirty, old, run down hotel. The beds and pillows were uncomfortable and the bathroom made you nervous to use. We had to take a taxi into down town Edinburgh but could have taken public transport. With 4 of us, it made more sense to share a cab.

Nothing. It was horrible. Unfortunately we were stuck there for 2 nights.

Let down
    • Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

Small dated room. Smelt musty and room was cold. Wall for knocked for chatting with a friend. When leaving, we got asked abruptly for the room key. No one asked us if we enjoyed our stay. Worst ever

lack of communication from the staff room was very small...

lack of communication from the staff room was very small double bed in room was stuck against a wall had to both climb over each other to get in and out the bed not the same hotel since ownership has change hands shame as was a lovely friendly place with previous owners

Highly recommend
    • Classic Twin Room

Funny noise in bathroom when flushing toilet or using shower! Possibly a fan! Little bit annoying.

Lovely wee hotel! Great staff especially at breakfast! Would definitely recommend.

We enjoyed our stay answould use Ardmillan again.
    • Classic Double Room

Traffic noise during the night and the water system seemed noisy at times.

Didn't have breakfast.in the hotel. Met with friends for breakfast in the City. .

Comfortable, clean, welcoming with excellent breakfast!
    • Classic Double Room

The location was quite far from the centre if you were walking although you could catch a bus. The odd shaped en suite.

The breakfast was excellent and the room was comfortable although the en suite was an odd shape and it was quite difficult to get to the sink. The staff were friendly and helpful.

Disappointed
    • Classic Double Room

We booked two double rooms and there was no hot water in either. The milk at breakfast was curdled and had to be returned.

Room clean and fairly comfortable and would have been perfectly adequate for our short stay if it had not been spoiled by lack of hot water and the milk being off at breakfast. The staff were poDislite and friendly.

I thought it was average
    • Classic Twin Room

The room is above a pub, walls are thin so noise was a little bit of a problem. Room not well lit, floor creeks when walking sometimes. Ventilator in the toilet very noisy.

Good amount of parking space. Quite easy to find when driving.

The morning we were due to check out we arrived down at 11am...
    • Classic Double Room

The morning we were due to check out we arrived down at 11am (check out time). We had cash to pay and had offered it the day we arrived. We then found out that my card had been charged at 10:30am as the lady thought we had left (without paying!). We planned our break to pay in cash, it cost us money to buy the sterling and then again to buy back euro. This was very upsetting and could of been avoided easily. Professional courtesy should of prevailed here and all they had to do was check the room. That being said I would stay there again.

• Reviewed: 9 June 2017

Okay but would not return
    • Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

We had to share a bathroom with 2 other rooms on the same floor (up to 7 people sharing one bathroom), no door on the shower. Very small rooms, not particularly clean, poorly placed charging sockets, very dated, and uncomfortably hot rooms. This was quite overpriced for the standard of facilities that were provided.

Staff were friendly and accommodating

Excellent stay
    • Classic Twin Room

The water pressure from the shower was poor and the extraction fan should have worked But overall what an excellent stay !The staff were very helpful and friendly. Thank you

comfortable and with friendly staff but basic.
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

The room was rather small. It was clean but a bit shabby.

The property was near the place I wanted to visit. The hotel had a pleasant atmosphere and the breakfast was very good. Very friendly and helpful staff.

• Reviewed: 26 May 2017

Basic room for a reasonable basic price.
    • Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

There was a lot of noise from both outside the property around midnight and from people in neighbouring rooms which I guess staff can't control. We weren't aware our room would be very top of the house.

Hotel is easy enough to find and is on several bus routes to centre of the city. We met staff briefly when checking in and they were friendly enough.

Nice breakfast served by very cheery efficient staff.
    • Classic Twin Room

Digital jukebox that was on one night till after midnight 😡

Nice breakfast served by very cheery efficient staff. Good location for Murrayfield and buses to Centre.

• Reviewed: 13 May 2017

Excellent bar with outside terrace
    • Classic Double Room

Walls were a bit thin, noise from adjoining room. Very small bathroom

Quiet location walking distance to the castle and Princes St. Very nice bar serving all types of beers and wines. BT and Sky sports tv in the bar . Friendly staff and comfortable bedroom.

• Reviewed: 6 May 2017

Budget hotel with a great breakfast.
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Decor a little dated. Floors creaked. The tap in my room dripped, they didn't manage to fix it while I was there.

Friendliness and helpfulness of staff. Fantastic breakfast. Good value for money. A budget hotel handy for bus routes.

Provided with enough towels and rooms were spacious.
    • Classic Twin Room

The room was very cold, although a free standing heater was provided it took a very long time to heat up the room.

Provided with enough towels and rooms were spacious. Very clean and tidy.

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

Not worth it.
    • Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

Photos of rooms were misleading. We booked a private bathroom but when got there we had to use a shared one. The room was really small and also cold at night. The window did not open when it was warmer during the day.

Public transport was okay and not too far from the main sights.

Last hour hostel.
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Not confortable. Is only for one night and if you don't have another option. Quite far from city center but close to Haymarket train station.

Last hour hostel. Most cheapest close to Edimburgh city center. Opened late at night. Is a hostel and pub at the first floor but I didn't have any problem with the noise. Is expensive but cheapeast if you compare with another hostels in booking for Edimburgh.

• Reviewed: 22 April 2017

The room was old but clean.
    • Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

The room was old. The shared bathroom was not so good. There was no handsoap and the toilet didnt flush well.

The room was old but clean. There is a bus stop to the airport around the corner. This was very helpful.

Browse Ardmillan Hotel traveller photo gallery