Reviews of Ashgrove House Hotel 3 stars

12 Osborne Terrace (West Coates), Edinburgh, EH12 5HG, United Kingdom

#62 of 185 B&Bs and Inns in Edinburgh

Warm welcome, excellent breakfast, good location for public...
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Shared bathroom and toilet, but I did know that when I booked, so can't complain.

Warm welcome, excellent breakfast, good location for public transport.

Comfortable and friendly!

Breakfast was really good with plenty of choice. I also like the room. It was round the back of the building so it was very quiet. It was spacious and clean and the bed was comfortable. We both slept well! We would book this hotel again. There was plenty of space for parking too.

Excellent b&b will stay again

Only 1 pillow but I'm sure they would of given another if I asked 😀

Lovely people running it , very clean excellent breakfast and walking distance to the centre.

We would definitely stay there again.

Other guest slamming doors when coming in late.

A very friendly place to stay in. It was brilliant for the price we paid. But think a bit expensive full price

Comfortable room in a stylish house.
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

friendly nice owner. very clean and stylish room. location close to public transportation and heymarket train station (a few min walking). good breakfast. comfortable bed. highly recommend.

Very nice place to stay.

Very friendly and accommodating host! Charming interior - especially in our room. Secure parking for our motorcycles. The center of the city is within easy walking distance.

Would not recommend. Price was good but maybe the other rooms have better beds. Room 1 was awful.

The person running the home spoke very little English making it impossible to have that "B&B personal experience". We weren't shown anywhere to sit aside from our room. On our last day we discovered a sitting area in the conservatory but it was too late by then. The beds in room 1 were like sleeping on a heap of rocks. One had to balance to keep from rolling off either side and we both woke sore and feeling bruised. Didn't get a decent sleep either night because of the awful beds.

the server for breakfast was very friendly. Breakfast was very good. The house was lovely and the room looked very pleasing and the bed clothes were beautiful.

Friendly welcome, convenient for the airport bus.
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Very kind and friendly welcome on arrival. I could not stay for breakfast because of my early flight out the next day, but the owner kindly left me some food to start the day. I was happy to discover that in the airport bus stopped not far from the guest house.

Nervous - never stayed there before. Should not have worried. Was absolutely perfect.
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Owners Johnny and Sonny were so charming and eager to please and the girls in the dining room were happy and smiling all the time and nothing was too much trouble. I had a shared bathroom but was with only one other single room and never a problem. Loved this hotel.

Nice B&B, well located near Haymarket
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Well located near Haymarket railways station, it's a confortable and nice big house (mansion). It's a B&B formula and, if very early departure during the stay, a take away breakfast can be provided : leaving at 6h30 to the Highlands, I really appreciate ! Very nice and available staff, always ready to help and to advise.

Nice hotel, but Edinburgh was not our cup of tea. So we will never return.

Edinburgh is not the nice city we were hoping/expecting to see.

Everything about the hotel. The breakfast is good. The bathroom has a superb shower. The location of the hotel in the city is great. It's a restful region of Edinburgh which is still close to (walking distance) of the city center.

Nice room. Good location. Great breakfast.

I have no complaints.

The rooms was clean and comfortable. Breakfast was very good. My second day I had to leave early and they provided a bag breakfast to take with me on the way to the airport. Good location within walking distance to Edinburgh.

Great value for the money

The hotel is on a main road so, there were times when we heard the traffic.

About a mile from everything you would like to see in Edinburgh. Convenient to transportation. Dining room was sunny and bright, facing the gardens in the back. The owner took great care of us, as we needed to leave before breakfast time. He gave us a "breakfast to go" which helped us on our way. Also, free parking on premises.

location was brilliant.
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

there was a bit of a strong smell in the room...probably some cleaning..that is why it is not a 10 point review

location was brilliant...delicious breakfast

Great value, great breakfast, good location.
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

I was doing Edinburgh marathon, so had to eat on the Sunday at 7am. The hotel kindly out out a bag of food, but would have been lovely to sit down at 7am to enjoy breakfast at the table. But not the end of the world. Was a 2k walk into the city, which was great as I needed a quiet hotel ahead of the marathon. Pleasant walk into Edinburgh, or tram from Haymarket station right by.

I stayed for 1 day and I do believe it'f a good place to stay in for short trips
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

shared bathroom although it was so clean and well prepared with all accessories

staff super friendly .. they even prepared special breakfast for me when they knew that I am checking out earlier

Caring host makes a big difference

There is nothing really not to like about this B& B. Our room was spacious, very clean and with all the little niceties that make a stay comfortable. The host was caring, thoughtful and welcoming. He ensured that we had good local information, were comfortable in our room, and very knowledgeable about transport.

🌟🌟🌟🌟
    • Family Room

Thanks for the hosting us last weekend😉 Great place to stay for a visit in Edinburgh 👏👌 the location is walking distance from the attractions. Would definitely recommend the b&b to the guests of Edinburgh 👏👏

Nothing really

Only cost £100 for 2 nights with breakfast. 20min walk or 10 mins tram into the middle of edinburgh. Quiet not hassled by the staff and always there to help when needed

Absolutely recommended place to stay!
    • Family Room

Very helpful staff, delicious breakfast, good location - just the perfect accommodation for our purpose. The room we had was spacious and clean, the mattresses were comfortable, the bathroom was well-equipped. Clean towels, mats, soap, hair and body wash were amply provided.

The bathroom and room were spotless.
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

The bathroom and room were spotless. The single room was as described and comfortable with tea making facilities, which was particularly nice coming back after a long day of sightseeing. The shared bathroom was quite close to the room and very clean and well stocked with toiletries. The breakfast was very nice and staff were very friendly. The location was perfect with the Airlink stopping outside the door and the Castle being within easy walking distance (20-25 minutes).

Highly recommended for a short stay in Edinburgh

Bathroom could have been a tiny bit bigger.

Beds were comfy, breakfast was good. Owner was very friendly. Hotel is located in walking distance to the city centre with many restaurants and pubs nearby. We had a great view from our window.

Comfy and warm, very noisy and shower was either too hot/too cold. Great breakfast

Very noisy as someone kept putting the shower in the room above at 12 midnight every night which was very noisy and when the doors were shut it echoed.

Bed was comfy

Amazing house and so clean!! I was impressed!

Our bedroom was a bit smaller than we thought and I was able to see the other bedrooms of the house and it was much bigger than ours but other than that if was perfect! We would def come back!

They were great in so many ways! Super clean bedroom, comfortable bed and good sheets as well. Amazing breakfast and really good service.

Perfect place to explore Edinburg

The bathroom in the ensuit room was very cold.

The owner was very friendly and helpful and the staff as well. The room was immaculately clean and confortable and with an amazing view. Breakfast was deliciouse and the place was at a walking distance from the city center. Bust sto to and from the airport is at 1 minut distance. I will definetely stay here again next time I come back.

Handy location to walk into Edinburgh and good breakfast.

The room and ensuite were quite cold due to one radiator not working. Elderly mother found stairs to the attic room quite steep.

The breakfast choice was good and the food was tasty. The room was quiet at the back of the hotel.

Great value and nice staff!

The only thing was for us a bit unsufficient heating, but it might depend on one's preferences.

The breakfast was great (full English), nice staff, room clean and cosy. Calm neighbourhood but close to the center.

The service was average and I wouldn't stay again.

We were stranded because of heavy snowfall and all transport was cancelled. We would have really appreciated being offered a hot meal in the evening. It was a B&B so they had facilities to cook, and we could smell that food had been cooked, but we weren't offered anything. I thought this was pretty poor service. The lady owner brought us a tray with a couple of muffins and some fruit but that was all. Also, I'd read a previous guest review that said they were offered tea and cookies when they arrived and another couple had a free room upgrade. We got nothing like that. I'd messaged beforehand explaining that it was my 50th birthday and could we check in early. I was told No. There was only one other person staying in the hotel when we arrived and one other during our 3 night stay.

It's location to the centre of town and the bus routes.

Excellent base for town & rugby.

Only a very minor point - the shower could have been more powerful. But this wouldn’t put off coming back.

Location for the rugby. Parking. Room facilities. Friendly and helpful staff.

Amazing price, brilliant staff, excellent hotel.

It was all brilliant.

The room was excellent value - I was slightly nervous in advance because I chose the 'shared bathroom' option, so I was expecting very bare facilities. BUT, the shared bathroom was absolutely beautiful - a lovely bath, plenty of good quality soap and bodywash (even moisturizer!), and a shower option too, all in a charming mock-vintage style. Plus there wasn't a single occasion when it was occupied when I needed it. The breakfast was amazing, too - a full english, included in the price?! In EDINBURGH, close to a station, as well. My view was great, the garden looked lovely, honestly, I cannot recommend this hotel enough. Staff were absolutely lovely, too. Best value I've found by a long shot.

Excellent location, with easy access to sights and the city...

We were in a loft room and the room was too cold with the small panel electric heater not being sufficient; the other heater was not working (I think it needed bleeding). We did report it and the manager tried to help, but it still wasn't warm enough (not a problem whilst sleeping). The double bed was too firm and quite uneven.

Excellent location, with easy access to sights and the city centre. Quiet hotel with a good selection for breakfast, though cooked breakfast was average (breakfast was free so an overall bonus). Staff were friendly. Bright and spacious room, en-suite small but clean and tidy.

A lovely place to stay in a good location , very well maintained apart from the shower avd radiator!

The radiator was not working properly so the room temperature was quite cool and the spare heater in the room was not enough to warm the room . Also the shower was either boiling hot or freezing so not the best .

The size of the room and extra blankets available

We felt at home!
    • Family Room

Great Service and a super kind staff. We got tea and cookies as soon as we arrived while we waited to checkin. Plus everyone was super nice during the stay. The manager was going out of his way to help us. Thank you!

Good location but needs to up the service.

Heating inadequate. Radiators weren't working. Breakfast left a lot to be desired. Stale food and no proper seating available. We were a family of 4 and had to sit 2x2 on separate tables as there is only one table that can sit 4 people.

Very comfortable, clean, safe and friendly place where as a female alone I was well looked after.
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

My room was over-hot - a better thermostat on the radiator for the guest to operate would probably solve this. An optional non-slip mat for the bath/shower would be desirable.

Very comfortable room, everything very clean, nice old-fashioned decor as suits a Victorian-type property. Very good breakfast - particularly the porridge and perfectly cooked eggs.

Spoilt by a cold room. No interaction with owner

No interaction from owner. On arrival given a key fob with two keys explained one for front door the other was the bedroom door key. Told room was on the first floor. He then vanished back into his private room,leaving us to find our room. Although the the room was clean ,it was distinctly chilly the large radiator was just warm (the side thermostat had no effect ) a small oil filled electric radiator didn’t work. The en-suite bathroom was cold the shower cubicle was very small and the shower was either too hot or freezing, we could not get any hot water from the sink taps Regarding breakfast a good selection of cereals fruit juices was available, but the cooked full English was very heavy and was a challenge to eat with not the best quality ingredients. On the last morning asked for poached eggs and that’s what we got two poached eggs nothing else (the previous day toast was included) Hotel is situated on a main road a short walk from Haymarket station, but you need a bus to get to the main shopping area

Traditional room clean and comfortable bed

I’d stay again in a room away from the road
    • Family Room

The bed was very firm but this was just me- my partner found it ok. Previous reviews said the shower was tiny and they weren’t wrong! Our room faced the road and although there is double glazing, you could still hear traffic going past, which always seems worse in the quiet of night.

Perfect location to walk to Murrayfield. We enjoyed our cooked breakfasts both mornings as they were hot and not greasy. Our room was very clean and nicely warm.

We were well looked after at the Ashgrove.

The shower cubicle was small but it was adequate for a short stay.

My husband enjoyed the full English breakfast both mornings, which was great. Alternatives were easily provided. The bed was comfy and the hotel was quiet so you had an undisturbed sleep.

Really enjoyable and only about 20 minutes walk from city centre

nothing really, it was all good.

Very friendly staff. The room was spotless and cleaned every day we were there. The room was lovely and warm the breakfast was great - enough to keep us going till dinner time! All in all no complaints.

-free wifi

-free wifi -very good breakfast -super friendly staff (even provided breakfast for us when we had to leave VERY early for our flight) -clean -tea and coffee -heating -quiet -good location for both airport and city centre

Suitable for staying in Edinburgh and communting to the city centre.

Hotel set for tourism so breakfast only between 8 and 9. Take away bag offered to be left out, but I think the other early starter took those.

Good location with free on site parking. 3 minute walk to Haymarket area where there is plenty of restaurants to choose dinner.

Nice, quiet hotel, friendly staff.
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

The rooms are not very soundproof, you could hear other guests snoring in the room next to yours.

Friendly staff, quiet hotel and neighbourhood, easily accessible by any means of public transportation.

A pleasant and relaxing stay.

The decor could be doing with an upgrade. Looks a bit dated.

The host was very pleasant. There was a good selection for breakfast, which was included in the price. It was clean. The parking was good and free. The room was nice and spacious. It is within walking distance to centre.

highly recommend
    • Family Room

Everything was o. k. We were satysfied with location, close to airport (10minutes by bus), close to centre (20 minutes walking). Breakfast was delicious and staff were very helpful.

Great B&B

Breakfast was really nice, room was spacious and comfy. Owners friendly. Was about 10-15 min walk from princes street (if you walk fast) but overall a good location, with car park which is a bonus. Really enjoyed our stay here, would definitely recommend.

Fine for tourists

I'm working in Edinburgh for two months. My partner flew up from our home in London so we could relax and be together, unfortunately, the breakfast is strictly before 9:30 am on the weekend and then you must check out by 10:30 am. I did request a later checkout but was refused. We ended up on the street at half 10 in the morning not sure where to go, we just really wanted a lie in. Even in 2017, there are very few places I can hug my boyfriend or hold his hand without raising eyebrows or making other people uncomfortable. It's more than a mile and a half from Waverly station, the one will all the trains to London.

If you're visiting Edinburgh intending to be out all day doing touristy things, this is a great wee hotel. The breakfast was ok. Strangely they gave my boyfriend twice as much as me, inexplicably, and I had a pain in my stomach afterwards but that could be as I'm not used to cheap processed meats.

Breakfast was the best and a great start to the day.
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Breakfast was the best and a great start to the day. Easy walk to all the major sites in Edinburgh and the staff were very helpful. Room was very comfortable and the bathrooms were really nice. I was in a single room with a shared bathroom and I never saw anyone else in there.

Really easy access from the airport, a short 20 minute bus...
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Really easy access from the airport, a short 20 minute bus ride from the city centre. Easy walk into the city centre, approximately 10-15 minutes into the heart of the city centre. Breakfast was great too

Perfect stay
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

I stay in this hotel for my Edinburgh trips whenever a room is available and I have never been disappointed. Fantastic staff, very clean and pleasant room and bathroom, delicious breakfast.

For a one night stay the accomodation was excellent and the staff friendly.

The variety of choice for breakfast was excellent and the food very good. Tn e room although quite small was very clean and comfortable.For a one night stay the accom

Perfect for our short stay.

Very small room in size but our price is was discounted as a result. Luckily we didn't need excess room but I could see this being an issue for some people.

Had everything we needed. Free parking.

Excellent value and very comfortable accommodations!
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Pretty much everything was good!

Excellent value and very comfortable accommodations! I stayed alone in a single room with shared bath (with only one other single room). The room itself had a sink, which was very convenient. Room size for a single was good. Breakfast (included in accommodations price) was excellent--many choices, ranging from dry cereal and yogurt to a full English breakfast. Lots of nice extras available--hairdryer, umbrella, toiletries. Well located--less than a 10 minute walk to Haymarket railroad station. Lots of restaurants near the station.

Highly recommend, especially if you don't need to be away very early.

Apparently cooked breakfast is great, but starts from 8am, which isn't ideal for a work day morning (7.30 would be great). However, I still enjoyed a quick chocolate croissant and cerial :)

Friendly staff, clean and comfortable rooms, parking included. Walking distance to city centre. Highly recommended.

Very enjoyable.

Conveniently situated for all transport but also a nice walk to the top of Princes Street if you feel a bit more energetic. Staff friendly and helpful and accommodation roomy, clean and comfortable. Lovely full English breakfast to start the day

Very enjoyable stay,this is the best value establishment I have found on my travels
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

I liked the décor of the hotel.The location just a few minutes walk from Haymarket station.The staff were very friendly and helpful.Exceptional value for money

A decent place, especially during shortage accommodation at Fring festival

The building is old, the bathroom is a bit small and there was some dust on the lamp. They need to close the place and do some maintenance work. The breakfast had limited options compared to other B&B in Scotland

Car park next to the city center is a rare finding in Edinburgh. The staff was nice. It's 10 minutes from Haymarket station and 15 minutes from the city center, in a quite zone (especially if you have a room looking to the rear garden).

a very relaxing short break!!! so much to see!!!

limited wardrobe space in our room but this didn't matter because we only stayed 3 nights!!! so managed ok.

Great start to the day with an excellent full english breakfast!!! location was as described-near to all amenities. left car at hotel and either walked or used the bus service which was at very frequent intervals :)

We had a nice room on the 3rd floor (no lift).

The bathroom was small.

We had a nice room on the 3rd floor (no lift). The room was big. The breakfast was delicious. If you arrive to Edinburgh by plane you can take the Airlink 100 bus and get down at Wester Coates station which is 5 min walking distance from the accommodation, or you can take a tram to Haymarket train station which is 10 min walking distance from the accommodation. It takes approximately 20 min to walk to the centre of Edinburgh, it is also possible to take a bus.

I would recommend this B&B to anyone who wanted to be well looked after.
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

The proprietors were extremely kind, allowing me to leave my suitcase before check in time, serving me coffee on my early arrival which made me feel very welcome. Also on my early check out, I was given a packed breakfast to take with me. The decor throughout was beautiful and my stay was extremely comfortable. The B&B was within walking distance of the city centre, along a bus route and close to Haymarket Railway Station.

It was okay as we only stayed two nights.

The room that we had was a loft conversion and the second staircase to get to it was awkward to get up and down.

Bed was comfortable and the breakfast was good. It was in a good location

Excellent value for location!

Our hosts at Ashgrove House were very friendly. They even offered to pack us a small snack from the kitchen on our last day. Their Full Scottish Breakfast was fantastic!

Good little hotel

Breakfasts were Full English and as it was my 7 year old granddaughter's first visit to Scotland I wanted her to experience a Full Scottish breakfast including sliced sausage and tattie scones

Room and beds were very comfortable. The hotel was just a short walk from Haymarket Train Station which is ideal for guests travelling via public transport.

Comfortable and relaxing
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

A very friendly and helpful host. Breakfast was amazing. Great internet connection. The only slight negative which is outwith the owners control was the busy main road. I will certainly be back

We stayed here when visiting Chatsworth (it's a short...

We stayed here when visiting Chatsworth (it's a short drive). Martin was very communicative and helpful before our arrival. We were quite comfortable and would recommend Jewel Cottage. They are wonderfully hospitable!

Loved it!
    • Family Room

Excellent place with very nice people running it. The room was very comfortable and the bathroom was great. They were waiting for us for breakfast and there was a great variety of food. They offered us a cooked breakfast which could be full English breakfast or eggs. The area is very safe near Haymarket train station, you can go walking from here easily. We loved our stay here!

OK for 2 days wouldn't stay there again

Limited time window for breakfast ( 1 hour ) Not worth £100 per night Owner / manager poor communicator

Location for central Edinboro Onsite parking

Adequate for short breaks

Shower did not work well in that the water turned hot and cold automatically.

Liked the quietness. The beds were comfy and there were ample tea bags and coffee satchets inside the room and also outside. One of the places with car parking on site.

The location is perfect for accessing transport.

There is only a window of 1 hour for breakfast which was restrictive.

The location is perfect for accessing transport. One minute from the door there is a bus to the airport for 4 pounds and the train station is a 5 min walk.

Locality 10 minutes by bus onto Princes Street and bus stop...

Fruit, yoghurt, cereal etc. selection excellent but a menu on the table listing the cooked items available would give the guest a chance to decide and also save the staff having to relay what the cooked breakfast items are, stair up to the 2nd floor is very tight and very steep

Locality 10 minutes by bus onto Princes Street and bus stop a couple of minutes walk from B&B also excellent cooked breakfast

Convenient to Haymarket & easy to find
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

I prefer en suite rooms. However the shared bathroom was very pleasant.

I had to leave very early for a business meeting. The owner kindly made me a picnic breakfast.

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

Good location for exploring Edinburgh, reasonably priced
    • Family Room

A little noise at night from road as windows not double glazed. Unable to open windows to get some air so quite hot and stuffy at night.

Being able to leave car and walk in

Lovely decorated house and comfortable room

Nothing really. We stayed here 1 night on our way to the country side, which was perfect. I don't know how good the location is for visiting Edinburgh city, but it wasn't far to the city center.

The house is beautifully decorated and the room as lovely!

• Reviewed: 2 June 2017

Nice classic hotel

The shower didn't work properly, the flow couldn't be adjusted and the water temperature neither: it was either cold or lukewarm.

The hotel location is good, at walking distance from the city center, in about twenty minutes by foot we were on the Royal Mile. The neighbourhood is nice. The staff was friendlly and the room was clean and bright.

Pleasant, rather old-style B & B in good location. Lovely staff.
    • Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Not a complaint, because I knew what I was getting, but I had to share bathroom & loo - there was only a washbasin in the room itself. I realise this isn't for everybody & its less & less for me as I get older, but needs must. My room was comfortable, if fairly basic. Old-fashioned sit-down & served cooked breakfast rather than a serve-yourself buffet - again not for everybody. Decor in room etc. a bit chintzy especially if you are now used to staying in the buffet chains.

A warm & friendly welcome. Provision of a breakfast box on Sunday morning, as I had to leave before breakfast started serving at 8 30am - much appreciated. Great location in West End a stone's throw from Haymarket Station.

• Reviewed: 19 May 2017

Pleasant stay in Edinburgh

The tap in the bathroom was dripping, so needed repairing

Nice attic room, comfy bed & good to have tea/coffee making facilities in the room. Overall a pleasant stay

Browse Ashgrove House Hotel traveller photo gallery