Reviews of Athena Guest House 3 stars

255 Cowley Road, Oxford, OX4 1XQ, United Kingdom

#63 of 65 B&Bs and Inns in Oxford

5.9

5.6

The manager offered us to change room for one better suited...
    • Family Room with Shared Bathroom and Toilet - Annexe

Everything is in a very old state from A to Z, needs a complete refurbishment.

The manager offered us to change room for one better suited to our needs as a family even though the room was cheaper. I found that super nice from him. Mattresses were okay.

I found the 'Athena' at short notice and the location was convenient.
    • Double Room with Shared Shower and Toilet - Annexe

.It certainly was strange to arrive at one address only to be taken to another, although it was nearby. Also the house was'self catering' but that was never really explained either on the day or in my booking. The kitchen was never really cleaned as casual users didn't bother and there were no proper cleaning materials or instructions.

The location was quite good with shops nearby and easy bus access into central Oxford.

We had comfortable beds and the owner was considerate enough...
    • Family Room

The property is located in an area that looks run down. The entrance to the property is also not particularly inviting. There is no place close by to have coffee or breakfast. Found a place 15 minutes away.

We had comfortable beds and the owner was considerate enough to provide 2 table fans since it was so warm otherwise.

Do not go there, unless you like dirty and smelly.

It was DIRTY, like a pigsty. HAVE NO WORDS TO DESCRIBE IT, trully. I had one bath and the towels were so dirty that I had to use one of my t shirts to dry myself. No hair dryer (of course). Noisy, probably because the neighbors were turning on the fan of their bathroom. Owners with attitude, with no apparent reason.

Location. Pub just across the street

This is a guesthouse for someone looking for a very basic...
    • Double Room with Shared Shower and Toilet - Annexe

Shabby and cramped room, thin doors, not a pleasant experience at the end of a journey.

This is a guesthouse for someone looking for a very basic hostel, at best.

The bed was comfortable and the linen clean

The front door was very shabby and needed a wash (1st impressions?) the hall and stairs were slightly better, and the room itself was ok

The bed was comfortable and the linen clean

The instructions for check in was straight forward and the...

The instructions for check in was straight forward and the staffs in charge were decent. They even allowed us to check out an hour later than the original time. The parking available was just right in front of the place we stayed. Try not to park there if possible and find a better parking spot. Someone actually bumped into our car that night leaving us with a scratched bumper (Note: This has nothing to do with the owner, but just keep in mind that the roads, as almost all the roads in UK residential areas are, are a bit narrow). We definitely liked our stay and would recommend this place.

will not return as not clean, but it wasnt expensive
    • Triple Room with Shared Bathroom and Toilet - Annexe

noisy residents. dirty kitchen. poor maintenance - towel rail fell off wall, taps very loose, dirty bathroom floor, promised parking space did not happen, very poor english, rang to change check in time but was told off for not arriving at original time

location. clean sheets and towels. big kitchen. however if the bed had been as dirty as the rest, i wouldnt have stayed.

The cleaning lady we met the day we checked out was nice and...
    • Twin Room with Shared Bathroom and Toilet - Annexe

The whole experience of Athena Guest House was very weird. We arrived and tried checking in and had a room in their 'annexe' which was 300m down the road in what looked like a house on a street. The room was advertised as including breakfast but when I enquired about this I was told that due to staff shortages there would be no breakfast. This twin room cost £70 for one night, and for that price the room nor shower or facilities represented the true reflection. Of the price we had to pay.

The cleaning lady we met the day we checked out was nice and despite the facilities being poor the b&b was clean. Location was also relatively good and a nice 20-30 minute walk into town or 10 minute ride by bus.

get over with the night that is too late to book for anything else

Messy reception area, facilities are old, untidy, strong smells in the rooms, the beds are not sturdy enough. Got relocated due to overbooking, rooms are not same with the ones shown in ad.

Staff was friendly and responded quickly enough upon issues.

Major rip off filthy and shabby room

It was unbelievably shabby, the bathroom was horrible, a hole in the lino floor, plaster in the shower, filthy, small towels, no fan and we were on the top floor in a heatwave. Ridiculously over priced.

Location good, the only reason to stay here

Never more.
    • Triple Room with Shared Bathroom and Toilet - Annexe

Too expensive for low quality.

Bad option, the crew doesn't answer our questions. Wi-fi does not work properly and the place is full of dirty and bad smells ...

AVOID AVOID AVOID
    • Twin Room with Shared Bathroom and Toilet - Annexe

I was not impressed to be sent an email text and phone all asking me what time I was arriving. I answered each one but I felt that one email would have been enough. These were all signed by Jack and Janet. When I arrived at the property there was a man there who did not appear to speak a lot of English, I do not believe Jack and Janet even exist. I had specifically reserved a parking space I was told that I had to park on the main road. The building shown in the photo is grotty and it is chaotic booking in, just trying to get in the building was a challenge. There did not appear to be a fire escape from the First or second floor so good luck with that. I will finish this review with three little words AVOID AVOID AVOID !

Bus stop outside flat busses at least every 15 minutes into town.

The pub opposite was fantastic!

Great location but the place is vetoed old fashioned & the bed was very old & uncomfortable. They don’t actually do breakfast even though it’s advertised that they do. They also don’t have water coolers in the room like they advertise.

It would appear the owners haven't invested a penny in...

It would appear the owners haven't invested a penny in either paining, renovating or replacing worn out items. The room we were taken to first had carpet that you wouldn't have wanted to walk on in bare feet. We were given another room when I asked, which at least had a lino floor, so easier to clean. There were so many items that were old, broken or that should have been replaced a long time ago. Would not recommend.

Comfortable stay, prefer to stay at their main guest house, communication with hosts is sketchy

Rooms, bathrooms, kitchen (and equipment), hall were smelly, dated and in need of repair (at a few places).

easy accessibility to public transportation (bus stop just outside the venue), amenities as described

It's location was fine for walking into the city and we...

I expected more space, especially the bathroom which was more like a galley - just wide enough for the toilet. The entrance door with dirty mesh curtains and laminated notices pinned to it ruins the impression as you arrive and the printed banner name instead of a permanent one didn't help. The hall and staircase carpets just looked dirty - if they weren't they must be really old. The TV etc was plugged into extension leads - all in all what I would expect from a cheap guest house room. - £85 a night (3 bed room) just didn't reflect what it was. In the end we did only sleep in it and were thankful for the desk fan on a very hot night. There was no check out - we were only able to leave the keys in an unlocked room.

It's location was fine for walking into the city and we could park the car, but there were only 5 spaces so maybe we were lucky.

It was ok, but not something I will remember as a great experience.
    • Double Room with Shared Shower and Toilet - Annexe

Bathrooms were small and the one closest to our room didn't have a lock from inside. Washing basin absolutely tiny, so water splashing all over floor while washing your face and/or hands. No mirror in the room, so difficult to dry ones hair.

Room and shared bathroom were clean and had the minimum things available. Had kettle in the room, so can make tea/instant coffee in the morning. We were only looking for a place to sleep and getting a shower in the morning, and it was just good enough for this purpose.

The worst paid for accomodation that I have ever stayed at!! I will never use Booking.com again
    • Twin Room with Shared Bathroom and Toilet - Annexe

see the above used razers in the shower, soiled toilet brush, the door between the bathroom and bedroom was off it's hinges the telly didn't work, it was so dusty i had to use my inhaler throughout the night, and my chest is still tight. It's worth noting that I am not a "fussy" traveller, i am more than happy to stay in hostels, camping barns and budget hotels , but this is the worst place that I have ever stayed at!!!

Nothing!! the room was filty, the smell in the room made us gag!!! the electrics were dangerous, my phone was plugged in and everytime i recieved a text the lights went out!! one of the beds was broken, the sheets on one bed were dirty. I could keep going!!!

This was our worst experience ever and we will NEVER go back to Athena Guest House.
    • Triple Room with Shared Bathroom and Toilet - Annexe

OMG! The WORST place we've ever stayed in! We were there 2 nights ago and my wife still has the bites from the bedbugs. The owner had other guests and they were EXTREMELY noisy when they got up at 2-3 AM. There was no breakfast offered (so not a B&B). There is a kitchen, but it was dirty and not welcoming. The bathroom and shower are shared with everyone else in the building and the shower is broken. The room was so small that the beds filled the room and there was barely room to walk around them. The neighborhood looks dangerous, especially at night. The noise from the street was also very bad.

Unimpressed by this place. Suitable only for backpackers crashing but not backpacker prices.
    • Double Room with Shared Shower and Toilet - Annexe

Room key didn't lock room and had to be changed. Wasn't told about fiddlesome front door key. Not amusing when you have to ring proprietor at 4am. Over priced. So called 'annexe' is a separate house 100 metres from hotel. One wall of bedroom was plasterboard. Drawers at foot of single bed inaccessible apart from top drawer where tea and coffee were hidden away. Bedside drawers locked which leads me to guess this room is used by students in term time. Girls knickers being dried off in bathroom. Socket points only reached by gymnastics climbing across single bed.

The only good or rather normal thing about this place is...

Shabby!!! Spent half an hour to get in when arrived because there is no actual reception. Far not 3 stars - misleading by Booking.com

The only good or rather normal thing about this place is that sheets were reasonably clean.

Everything was clean, though very old.
    • Double Room with Shared Shower and Toilet - Annexe

Rooms were a bit dingy with scraped up laminate.

Everything was clean, though very old. Considering this was the cheapest hotel available in oxford it was "value for money" though still expensive compared to many other cities.

Never again, it was forty towers!
    • Double Room with Shared Shower and Toilet - Annexe

No hairdryer. Advert said there was on, some random fridge in the room that didn’t work, tv wouldn’t change channels, tea and coffee was cheap and nasty, extremely noisy on the landing with banging of doors and main doorbell ringing late at night! Shower awful!

The place is dreadful and had the reviews been true we would never have booked it in a million years

Everything the place is awful. It’s looks like a squat from the outside and is no better inside. It’s dirty and noisy, and not to be recommended how when I have not liked anything it still gets a 2.5 rating is beyond me!

It was in the area that I wanted to stay and I had somewhere...
    • Double Room with Shared Shower and Toilet - Annexe

Shared bathroom was not very clean and had some broken fittings.

It was in the area that I wanted to stay and I had somewhere to park my car. Although parking was limited

This place gives slum landlords a good name.

This place gives slum landlords a good name. Front door requires a paint job, hall dingy and dirty. Admitted by a young woman with limited English, money taken to an account ‘Amazon’. Bathroom dirty, no WiFi, no breakfast as offer on booking.com. Carpets dirty, bathroom dirty. Jeez, need I go on. DON’T GO THERE!

Disappointed and irritated.
    • Double Room with Shared Shower and Toilet - Annexe

The fact I was locked out and had to wait on the doorstep until the owner had finished registering another guest. My room wasn't ready and this was at 4pm. I went for a drink and it was still not fully ready three quarters of an hour later. the owner upbraided a staff member in front of me, a paying guest, about something that was nothing to do with me or my unready room.

The property was clean.

Glad it was dry. If the main building is as well equipped as this other bit, it should be excellent
    • Twin Room with Shared Bathroom and Toilet - Annexe

I was not expecting to walk 150m back to the property i was staying in, where there's no parking available. If it had been raining, no fun. The rooms are OK but the keys are not good. I'd say they were copies You had to wriggle the key a lot to get it in or out. Given the shared facilities, i would be happier with keys that went in easily. Small point, but you don't want to leave the door unlocked when heading for the bathroom

helpful staff, cancelled duplicate booking, clear instructions, when i found £165 left by previous room occupant came and collected it. Plenty of power points, and a comfy chair to work from, decent provision of tea and coffee, shower lovely (though shared). Plenty of good eateries close by - I used the pub opposite. Nice beer too.

Comfortable bed and facilities in room but confusing admin

As above.

It was a little cluttered and on arrival it was difficult to get to the front door for cars. Also, the check in was all but done in the owner’s kitchen/office. It felt a little bit cluttered and unprofessional despite a spacious, pleasant room and paying quite a bit for it: was even asked how much it cost me to book.

Lively area, nice cozy room and had a great nights sleep.
    • Double Room with Shared Shower and Toilet - Annexe

My room was on the top floor and I couldn’t connect to the WiFi, shared bathroom with two other rooms, breakfast not included.

Clean comfy room, loads of great pubs, bars takeaways and restaurants near by, clean large kitchen if you wish to cook your own food.

Cheap and walking distance to town centre.

Building needed updating and refurbishment/redecoration. Mattresses replaced and curb appeal definitely lacking. Owner Asian - so room had food cooking odour on our return daily.

Room only rate very reasonable for the area and distance to town centre. Property outdated, could do with some TLC. Although the room was comfortable and clean the mattress definitely required changing (very lumpy). Lovely ground floor room at the front of the building. Parking available.

One day of handyman time and a better trained cleaner and the place would have been much better.
    • Double Room with Shared Shower and Toilet - Annexe

Our room stank of stale sweat when we arrived, though the weather was good and we left the one window (a roof light) open to clear it. There was a patched hole in the wall that hadn't yet been painted. The bathroom near us was very nice but had been mistreated and not fixed- the towel rail was hanging off, there was no loo roll holder, the shower rail for the shower head was broken. I use Three.co.uk and didn't get a usable signal in our room. You can see "Toilet" written on the wall behind the toilet!

The place was pretty clean- vacuumed floor, clean sheets. The doors were very nice, clearly not original to the property. The landlord made space for us to park on site- parking spaces in Oxford are expensive (around £20 per day). The property is near a Co-op so it's easy to get breakfast even early on a Sunday morning. There was a kitchen/dining/living room downstairs which was good.

Convenient and staff friendly.Adequate to stay overnite .
    • Double Room with Shared Shower and Toilet - Annexe

TV was broken in room;while there was ample tea,coffee and chocolate in the rm. there was no kettle.People were expected to go down into the main kitchen.Reminded me of a college university setup which would have been fine but not sold as such.Bathroom not clean

Staff friendly and close to bus routes so as to travel into Oxford.Across the st. from pub and several restaurants close by

Convenient and low-intensity base for exploring the cooler side of Oxford

The room was extremely full of stuff: one of the bedside tables actually made it impossible to open the wardrobe, for example, and one of the tables was overhung by the TV stand. Some of the kit could probably have been dispensed with. The wi-fi was kind of slow, also, and because of the late check-in we were actually billed before we arrived; if there'd been a problem, we wouldn't have been able to do much about it. But there wasn't!

The place is on one of Oxford's main roads, but actually our room was very quiet, and well-stocked with tea and coffee, more than most places bother with, which was good! Due to various misfortunes we arrived in the small hours, and so we needed the caffeine when we had to get up! Jack was extremely helpful with the late check-in, too, even though we never actually saw him. The shower was good and the wi-fi worked, the bed was comfortable and it's well-placed for cafés.

I could leave my luggage on my day of departure and then...
    • Double Room with Shared Shower and Toilet - Annexe

I could leave my luggage on my day of departure and then come to take it back later; that made a huge difference in enjoying the only day of leisure I had in my stay at Oxford.

Glad to leave in the morning.

Check in disorganised, parking not good, no breakfast provided. Room wasn't clean and quite cramped, bed uncomfortable, shower not used, didn't look clean.

NOT MUCH!

The place was not the same as its shown on the site.
    • Double Room with Shared Shower and Toilet - Annexe

Cleanliness was very poor Welcome staff was very poor There was no coffee in the room

The place was not the same as its shown on the site. Unfortunatly it did not reply our expectations at all:(

We arrived and things were a bit chaotic.
    • Double Room with Shared Shower and Toilet - Annexe

We arrived and things were a bit chaotic. We were asked to pay again for the room, but had already paid through Booking.com, although this was sorted out. They also wanted my wife's name and telephone number, which was not needed! Room was clean though.

The guesthouse is located in a convenient area with local...
    • Family Room

Although the landlord was helpful in carrying some of our heavy luggage and giving directions as to what buses to take, we did not like to talk about politics and did not like to be told what nationality we should write down. The landlord could be a nice person but may not be politically correct to sensitive issues. We meant to stay in the guesthouse as tourists, not as going to some kind of government office telling us the nationality on our passport is wrong.

The guesthouse is located in a convenient area with local amenities, including supermarkets and Western vegetarian / Western vegan restaurants. Bus stops are only 1 min walk from the guesthouse and buses into Oxford city are quite frequent. South Park offering great photography vantage point on the hill overlooking Oxford skylines is 9 min by bus. The landlord was helpful.

Badly run
    • Twin Room with Shared Bathroom and Toilet - Annexe

Had to wait quite a long time for anyone to arrive to let us in despite us having told them our arrival time. The woman who let us in seemed to be unaware of the type of room we had booked or how much it should cost. We were staying in the "annex", which, rather than being located 10 metres from the main guesthouse as advertised was a 5-min walk. The other guests were 8 men who came home at at 3.30am and made noise constantly until 5am, having left the front door wide open. There was no one on the property to deal with this and no one to call at that time. We didn't see the manager throughout our entire stay and he seemed to be leaving a very stretched and inexperienced family member to deal with several properties.

The bathroom was ensuite, which we hadn't expected. The beds were fairly comfortable. The guesthouse was able to accommodate our request for an accessible room.

Decent location - it was easy to get to town.
    • Double Room with Shared Shower and Toilet - Annexe

There was no parking when we arrived; the double room had the bed pushed into a corner making one side inaccessible; the walls were so thin we got no sleep due to outside noise and the bed was uncomfortable.

Decent location - it was easy to get to town.

The room is very basic and is only recommended for a one night stay.
    • Triple Room with Shared Bathroom and Toilet - Annexe

Beds weren’t comfy and they could have supplied more than one pillow. There was a mark on one of the walls which should have been wiped off and the bed sheets had a small stain on it. The downstairs bathroom was incomplete as there was a large hole in the wall. Also the front door was a pain to unlock and the fridge in the kitchen was very dirty.

The room was modern and mostly clean. It came with a large warbrobe and extra duvet if needed.

I am glad to be home.
    • Double Room with Shared Shower and Toilet - Annexe

The room was dirty and delapidated. It did not feel like a b and b but rather a hostel for the homeless. The furniture needed painting desperately. The pictures on the walls were crooked. There were piles of dust in the main areas. There were cigarette burns on the side of the bath. The television did not work on the night of my arrival, I complained and it was replaced with an old portable TV. I asked to order breakfast after my arrival and was told that it wasn't available. Overall, disgusting and not worth the money.

There was hot water available. I also liked the location because it was in the part of Oxford where I spent my childhood. It is close to the shops and has a pub across the road for anyone looking for one.

The room was very clean and tidy.
    • Double Room with Shared Shower and Toilet - Annexe

The owner kindly gave me the ensuite even though I just booked the room with shared toilet and shower. It was very kind of him. But it was very noisy overall, some guests came home late, talking loud and making noise late night.

The room was very clean and tidy.

A walking distance from the centre

The area is not the best one, the guest house is on the main road and there is a pub right across, which is open till early hours and the revellers are so loud that even the ear plugs don't help. The room itself needs renovation.

The guest house is the wzlking distance (20 min) from the centre. There was everything necessary in the room and wifi worked well.

It was all good - apart from the shower.
    • Twin Room with Shared Bathroom and Toilet - Annexe

I could not operate the shower, and couldn't find anyone to ask.

Clean and neat. It's on the number 5 bus route from the railway station. There is a good pub with reasonably priced food over the road.

Awful. Would have been preferable in a tent.
    • Double Room with Shared Shower and Toilet - Annexe

The nagging from the place before hand to confirm my arrival time - I emailed twice to do so and then had to call. They just kept emailing again and again to ask what time I was going to arrive. The bathroom facilities are horrible - one of the most naff showers I have ever used and not remotely clean. The drain was blocked so the water was over-flowing and the shower head itself was broken so most of the water wasn't going through the nozzle but down the wall. The room had curtains that didn't cover the windows so was woken early by the light not that I'd slept much since the whole place was an awful set up - we were basically in a house down the road from the main B&B and put in staying in the front living room where the door was slammed late at night and early in the morning by inconsiderate other guests.

The sheets and towels at least were clean and the room was freshly painted white so light.

Bed was not comfortable at all. Not sufficient crockery items in the kitchen. TV was not working. Duvet covers were looking like not washed.

The house is located close to th city with a good bus service and the room was comfortable and clean
    • Double Room with Shared Shower and Toilet - Annexe

The owner told us upon arrival that they do not provide breakfast although it is advertised as being available on booking.com. The front door of Athena guest house has paint falling off but we were given a room in another house down the road owned by the owner and it was comfortable, clean and had a TV and en suite toilet and shower. The owner was very pleasant.

1 of the showers only gave out boiling hot water as the cold...
    • Triple Room with Shared Bathroom and Toilet - Annexe

1 of the showers only gave out boiling hot water as the cold tap is broken and leaks. When me and my friends came back from the pub we found someone else in our bed so clearly all keys unlock each door because i made sure i locked it.

Cheap for the centre of Oxford!
    • Twin Room with Shared Bathroom and Toilet - Annexe

The window was broken so did not lock / close.

Good location. Free parking. Cheap, value for money. Was upgraded to include a bathroom in our room. Quiet room.

We were told we had a parking space but this turned out to...
    • Double Room with Shared Shower and Toilet - Annexe

We were told we had a parking space but this turned out to be drive around the streets and find street parking. Check out was at 10 but they started cleaning at 9 and disturbed us at 9:30 when we were trying to get ready. Not mention of breakfast even though it was an option on the website.

Perfectly adequate for 1 night
    • Triple Room with Shared Bathroom and Toilet - Annexe

Shabby furniture and flimsy room door- but you get what you pay for

We were in separate annexe in triple room. Location is very central and off road parking, bus stop really close. Kitchen facility in annexe.

My bed was warm, and heating was excellent.
    • Triple Room with Shared Bathroom and Toilet - Annexe

Noisy accommodation. Perhaps better suited to younger travellers who drink. Manager not helpful at all. Terrible Wi-Fi and the TV didn't work.

My bed was warm, and heating was excellent.

Easy to find, quiet location loved the birdsong in the morning, restful place to stay , Thx
    • Twin Room with Shared Bathroom and Toilet - Annexe

Bathrooms and fridges could have been cleaner

Clean comfy beds, number of bathrooms good for number of rooms could always find one open, didn't think the rating of 1.8 was fair much too low for the quality of the accomodation

Nice old English house to stay in one of the best cities of England.
    • Double Room with Shared Shower and Toilet - Annexe

Unfortunately the wifi only worked for a few minutes, and we couldn't make it work again. It was too cold in the room when we arrived, so we had to close the window and wait for an hour or two until it was warm enough.

Although we had booked a room with a shared bathroom, the staff kindly offered us a better room with its own bathroom for free. It was a pleasant surprise for us.

The bed was clean and fairly comfortable.
    • Double Room with Shared Shower and Toilet - Annexe

I was on the top floor and traveling alone. A little help with my luggage would have been appreciated.

It's a very old property which is in bad need of an upgrade.

It was a reasonable place for sleeping in.
    • Double Room with Shared Shower and Toilet - Annexe

The extractor fan for the shared bathroom was quite noisy in our room, especially when people forgot to turn it off at 5:30am. The bathroom could have been cleaner and a 3rd bed in the room made it rather cramped.

There was a very large common area and kitchen, so one would be able to prepare meals there. Supermarkets and cafes are nearby. Walking distance to city centre. It also had tea/coffee making facilities in the room which was nice. Style wise, it is a more like a student hostel. The free parking was very useful.

This place is very basic and not the three stars as marketed.

The room where we stayed was actually 400 meters down the road from what was advertised. Parking was on street, and not reserved. Both TV and fridge in our room did not work.

Bed was comfortable.

Not recomended even for a short stay
    • Double Room with Shared Shower and Toilet - Annexe

Unfortunately I wasn't expected to find what I found; firstly the price is very high for the service offered. Firstly you arrive to the main house where the “reception is” ( which is a sort of an office room of the owner- must say not the most organised room) and then nobody looks at your identity or they don’t verify if you are the guest. They give you a “receip” for what you pay( basically a hand written paper with the sum you paid for) and then they send you to your room. Now we stayed in another place which is 3 min away walking; this place had 10 tiny rooms and 2 bathrooms. If you are looking for something just to spend the night in and you are not very fussed about where then you might be ok with this place, but if you care about confront, clean place and noise that is definitely not the place for you. I have been traveling to many other places but I have never feeled so uncomfortable with a place before: I was afraid to sleep as the noise level was very hight and people would be shouting and talking very loud(thankfully I could lock myself in) the bathroom is a germs farm( imagine only 2 bathrooms for 10 rooms) and the room is full of dust! There is nothing I liked about this place and I wouldn’t recomended at all.

The location was fine, there is a near bus that takes you from the main road and leaves you in the centre.

We wouldn't have gone to Oxford without finding reasonably priced accommodation.
    • Double Room with Shared Shower and Toilet - Annexe

My husband found the room small. The bed was adequate but not great. There were lots of bathrooms in the house even though we shared with a few other rooms.

The price was economical, so I didn't expect it to be luxurious, and it wasn't. However, we were in Oxford to enjoy the town not to spend time in the room except to sleep. It was close enough to walk downtown and had lots of places nearby to eat. Very adequate.

Very very poor. Shame on booking.com for listing such a poor hotel

We were in the annex building one street up from the main building. Both were incredibly dirty. Fridge in our house smelled of rotten meat. Bedrooms were just a space with a bed. Our TV did not work. The sheets had holes and were grey, rather than white. Kitchen space was filthy. Nothing appeared to have been cleaned in a long time. Beds were remade only once during our 5 day stay. No breakfast provided except sachets of tea and coffee and a small packet of biscuits. We would have moved out had the manager not demanded payment upfront (which I refused, paying only half when we arrived and half when we left). Staff did not seem to care and were only interested in taking our money. Very poor for booking.com. I will check the reviews more carefully next time.

Only a fifteen minute walk into town

Definitely would not stay again, just spend a little more and get an airbnb - It'd be worth it!
    • Twin Room with Shared Bathroom and Toilet - Annexe

When we showed up, no one was there to check in. Even though I'd explained to the staff before hand the time of our arrival and the importance of this as we had to rush off to a job. We had to leave and head out to the job to then be called a couple hours later by a very rude man. No apology for not being in just "well, when are you turning up then?". When we did return later to check in, we were led into a very scruffy looking dining room/makeshift office. He asked for payment then once this was taken, gave us a key and told us our room was in a different house 200m up the road and that there might not being parking (again something I'd requested). The room was tiny with a double and a single bed squeezed it. My bed was incredible squeaky & cheap, pillows like pancakes and the heating was blasted constantly. Bathroom was clean but the hot radiator next to the toilet meant you burnt yourself every time we used it. The shower was just a slight trickle of luke warm water. Now, I like to keep costs down when travelling for work and I'm well aware of the compromise with cheaper hotels. I wasn't expecting The Ritz but I definitely do not expect rude, unapologetic staff and to be charged this amount for something that resembles a shared student flat. The best thing about this entire stay was the incredibly lovely & happy cleaner!

The room was clean which is about all I can say.

Very old beds and really uncleaned bed

I booked a family room for 4 person and booking showed 4-bed room. But the hotel prepared a room with single and double bed and added a matteress as the forth place.

Not at the address given;

Not at the address given; no breakfast, nor parking - both mentioned on website. Poor security (a good shove would have opened the front door). Beds basic. See photo for standard of furniture & TV.

Nice and clean and very comfortable. Very relaxed.

The room decor was very old and rhe room was very small. But very clean!

We arrived a little early but was able to grab the keys and park the car. We had to squeeze the car in a small parking space but the owner helped us park. We went out for a bite to eat, came back and settled into our room. The owner was very helpful and even let us use his printer.

Convenient and worth the money
    • Triple Room with Shared Bathroom and Toilet - Annexe

The kitchen equipment is not clean, house corridor and stairs is a bit narrow for travelers with big luggage bag.

The guest house is located at a perfect location while we can go to city center by walking, convenient stall and quite a number of restaurant nearby for food, it is quite convenient.

solid good stay
    • Double Room with Shared Shower and Toilet - Annexe

place is far from center but bus is literaly across the street

nice people , big kitchen , everything remodeled a lot of bathrooms overal this it good place

Good
    • Triple Room with Shared Bathroom and Toilet - Annexe

The room was a little smelly. The kitchen was not tidy.

There was a big kitchen there. Free parking and WIFI. The reception was kind. Not far away from city centre.

Horrible

I've never seen such a dirty place.There seemed to be people there renting for longer term. The furniture is old, broken and not really fit for purpose, the rooms were crammed and there was no room to move at all. It was noisy, dirty and totally unpleasant - not at all what you expect when you pay hotel price!!

Bed was comfortable

Broken bulbs/glass in the room Windows won’t open Lights didn’t work Tv didn’t work (one socket for three plugs) Tidy but dirty

Bed was comfortable

We stayed at 353 Cowley Road. Wondering whether we were just put there as they main house was full
    • Twin Room with Shared Bathroom and Toilet - Annexe

It was a long way away from the main building and the proprietor was based in the main building. There was no parking as such and we had to struggle to find a parking space on the road. Location was not very desirable. Unsavory area with evidence of drugs and drinking, further up the road, within a few hundred yards of property. Room was extremely cramped and little space to move around in. Furniture and fittings were second rate and a vintage television did not work effectively and control was taped up. We did not like the cigarette ends outside the front door......not very welcoming. Fire alarm woke us at 7.00. We were charged for a breakfast which was on offer at the booking stage only to be told on arrival that they do not do breakfast.

Nothing really. It was not what we expected at all. I thought we were booking a better quality of accommodation than we received.

Very convenient as had hospital appointment, but rather expensive considering the decorative order.

A rather chaotic check in, lucky we got there early as limited parking, clean but scruffy in need of decorating

Close to Churchill hospital, and allowed me to park there on the day we checked out

As expected

Cheap and cheerful. Don’t expect much from it and you’ll be fine. We were out for the night and just needed somewhere to crash so it was fine for that but it’s not a place you’d stay if you’re going for a nice weekend away.

Browse Athena Guest House traveller photo gallery