Reviews of Atini Guest House 3 stars

42 Grant Road, East Croydon, Croydon, CR0 6PG, United Kingdom

#4 of 9 B&Bs and Inns in Croydon

Excellent value for money.

No visitors allowed. Strong spring on door to the room. Smell of someone smoking in the mornings. Super bright smoke alarm LED woke me up a few times. Harsh, cold lighting. No air conditioning or fan. Insisting on making the bed every day. No parking except free street parking a five minute walk away. Rickety little wardrobe. Flavoured porridge breakfast (too sweet for me!)

Size of the garden area (but I didn't have time to enjoy it) Clean. Excellent value for money. En suite was clean. Kettle for tea and instant porridge breakfast. Good number of sockets in easy reach :-)

It is what it is and served its purpose for our stay.

Breakfast disappointing, just a number of items in a basket in the room. Not what I expected. Bed linen whilst clean a bit tired and smelled strongly of fabric softener.

Percy the owner was very helpful.

Clean, quiet and welcoming with a lovely garden for guests to relax in.

Perhaps a bit of modernization wouldnt be amiss. There was a faint musty smell in the bathroom.

Almost everything: the kindly host, the courteous staff, nothing seemed too much troubled for them, very helpful, thoughtful and they went out of their way to be accommodating. I would stay there again and recommend it to anyone. And perhaps most importantly it was clean and quiet.

It wasn’t quite what I expected, even for the price I have stayed in nicer places.

It was a shabby and outdated, and there was a musty smell.

The garden was quite nice, and I was very grateful to the guy who cleaned my room who noticed I had left my phone charger behind and dashed to bring it to me just as I was leaving.

Really lovely man greets you and made to feel very welcomed...

Really lovely man greets you and made to feel very welcomed room was clean and the bed linen smelled very fresh . It was very comfortable and homely .

Best place to stay witin Greater London.

Staircase a little narrow.

Room is homey and comfortable. Location is great, a few blocks from town center and shops. Very accessible by bus or on foot 5e the train station and tram. The best part of my staff if Percy, owner and manager. He goes out of his way to make sure guests are comfortable and well taken cared of.

Clean and tidy. Don't expect too much

No in room hairdryer. Specified vegan on booking.com, the room breakfast hamper left us only with an apple and biscoff biscuits to eat.

Clean room, friendly owner

Stay to attend funeral and after driving for 6 hours didn`t appreciate reception but overall pleasen

Reception on arrival needing photo ID never been asked that before in UK where told it was condition of booking couldn`t find this on booking room too hot radiator on at night we managed eventually to turn it off shower poor

Location nice and quiet very clean complimentry breakfast

Average

No parking. Parking is off street from 5pm -9am. Which means you can arrive after 5 and leave by 9. Secondly there's no hot breakfast. The website said breakfast included so we understood as hot breakfast. It was a breakfast hamper with a choice of porridge or porridge ☺

Nothing in particular apart from being reasonable price for location. There's no guarantee of parking and we had to check out at nine so we don't get penalised.

Quiet place to stay, and convenient to heart of Croydon.

Breakfast was a hamper from PoundLand, cheap sugary stuff. Kitchen could do with a little spring cleaning.

Convenient location to Croydon centre and the staff was friendly

Not worth for money and poor customer experience.

Nescafe bottle, tea bags, coffee mate, sugar cubes in containers doesn’t state the expiry dates and looks old. Food and beverages should be kept in original containers or packaging and dates should be visible on the containers. The basket breakfast is awful. Kettle left with pieces of limescale and water - looked not cleaned after last guest left. No proper place to make tea or coffee pretty much on the floor. Bathroom cubicle is tiny and not suitable for average or bigger size people. No bins in the room and only in toilet. I am 5 feet 2 inches tall and the mirror fixed (high) only allows me to see above neck More than all staff is very rude and no smile at all on his face. Not welcoming.

Location Beds are clean and comfy.

Fantastic, such warm hospitality from Percy and lovely place to stay 😊😊😊😊😊😊
    • Single Room with Private External Bathroom

absoutley loved everything😊😊😊😊there. Can't complain.

Fantastic and fabolous hospitality...Percy was so welcoming and was always there if u need anything extra, like blanket or other. felt like a second home to me. Loved stayin there. great accomodation, hospitality and breakfast😊😊😊😊couldn't ask fr a better place to stay. 😊😊😊10/10

Excellent guest house.

Excellent guest house.good & friendly management..good & quiet location.Most convenient for public transportation.I have stayed several times previously..I think that says it all.

Ideal for what I needed.

Really minor thing, some actual milk with the tea and coffee making facilities.

Easy to find in a quiet side street with on-street parking right outside. It's free from 5pm-9am which was perfect. The rooms are nicely appointed, clean and comfortable. Extra bonus features - the owner is lovely and goes out of his way to make you feel welcome. The garden is very large for a residential area of London and has a covered smoking area. Tea, sugar and coffee are in a jar! No sachets!!

Fair but could be better
    • Single Room with Private External Bathroom

No butter provided for the crackers and bun that were part of the breakfast. It said there was access to a shared kitchen but I wasn't shown this. Sugar, coffee etc. in already opened containers isn't hygienic.

The price

London Xmass Trip
    • Single Room with Private External Bathroom

Great location with eazy tram excess literally 5 min walk & a further 5 odd minutes to east Croydon station. The house is comfy and very welcoming I would definitely recommend. Thanx guys XX

Comfortable and good value for money.
    • Single Room with Private External Bathroom

The bed was very comfortable and had three pillows. When i walked into the room it was warm and had been heated. There was a basket filled with food and juice for breakfast and throughout the day.

Close proximity to the town centre.

The room needs a little bit upgrade in terms of the furnishings e.g. the bed and a suitable table & chair. The walls are thin hence easily to be disturbed by other housemates from their individual rooms.

Close proximity to the town centre. Additionally, very quiet neighbourhood.

It was comfortable and had everything i expected with just a few minor complaints such as the TV.

I didn't like the position of the TV, it was too high up and awkward to reach. I would've liked it lower down. Also the bathroom didn't have a lock on the door which can be a problem when families are sharing a room.

I loved the amount of space that the room had.

Overall an okay stay, the receptionist could be more welcoming and allow late check out at 11am.

The bathroom though was tiny and the vent was full of dirt. The reception was lukewarm and we did not feel so welcome at the property even before we arrived through our phone conversation. By the time we were leaving the caretaker an elderly gentleman was trying to be nice but one could see he was making a real effort to accommodate us and could not wait for us to leave. Maybe he prefers a certain kind of guest perhaps local people ..hate to use the R word! Check out time is 10am which is very early for a Sunday morning. Certainly after a night out thre is no time to even have breakfast and pack your bags after arriving the previous night. Perhaps a good place to be if you are there for business not pleasure.

The breakfast is not a real breakfast but just snacks and a tea making facility. Snacks including buns, cookies and crackers on the breakfast menu was store bought and some of it was old like the buns which we threw away. They are not highest qualify but the teabags and sugar were okay. Milk substitute is available: i.e. non-dairy creamer not real milk. Its better to say that they offer snacks not real breakfast. Or say there is a tea making facility which by the way is really great. The room and beddings were excellent. however had many questions that were irrelevant. We were happy through that they offered to keep our bags after the very early check out at 10am on Sunday morning. Having come in late the previous night we hardly had time to relax and have breakfast before being speedily rushed out.

Staff (Percy) so helpful and friendly.

Mattress was a little bit springy.

Staff (Percy) so helpful and friendly. Felt very safe and well looked after it was lovely. Nice quiet area and lots of places to eat within walking distance. Free parking and breakfast hamper made it even better. I even arrived home on the last evening to find some milk tray in my room which was a lovely surprise 🙂 Thank you.

A real gem of a find and a totally fulfilling stay.

No having herds of wild Wilderbeast running past the window whilst I had breakfast.....seriously nothing.

The warmth of welcome from Percy and everything I needed was there. I had a lovely shower and breakfast to set me up for the day. Excellent value!

Owner was really friendly and made me feel at home!

Plenty of dust around the corners of my room carpet, not easy to get to as I thought it was near the station but discovered later that it was 20 mins walk instead so I had to pay taxi twice! (Evening and early morning, spending in total what I would have spent for a premium hotel right next to the station

Owner was really friendly and made me feel at home! Lovely man

Nightmare!
    • Single Room with Private External Bathroom

Everything. Location was rubbish, host too aggressive, simply rubbish, better to pay extra to stay elsewhere to have comfort & peace of mind

Paranoid host that is clearly too old to be doing this as he gets aggressive very quickly as he thinks everyone is out to get him. It’s not the right business for him. Fire alarms randomly going off, no apologies given. Check-in time too late 3pm, a few hours shy of evening. If your sleep is disturbed due to constant fire alarms and you happen to checkout 1 minute after 10am(checkout time), host will call the police on you....charming!!! Stay if you wish

Not a pleasant stay. Have had better for the same amount spent. Staff (Percy) was a little rude.

Poor reception on entry with staff. Property was completely missold. Could not gauge the water coming from the shower, either too hot or too cold.

The garden was pretty. The toilet was clean.

I felt safe and secure and appreciated the wifi

I could feel the bed springs in the bed and that was uncomfortable. A simple mattress topper would solve that problem. The TV was on top of the wardrobe and small, so I didn't bother using it. I didn't like that Percy stressed, in no uncertain terms, about what time I must check out by. I didn't think that should form a part of my welcome.

It was very quiet and cosy and the bed linen smelled lovely.

Warm, clean, comfortable and friendly.

On my first time to London Percy made me feel like I had a home. Older building but clean and warm, easy commute, kind and helpful staff, some kitchen facilities available. Nothing more to ask for.

Old fashioned and spotless.

I would’ve preferred to pay cash but the money had already gone through before we got there. (Probably because we were so late.

Good hamper which meant we could leave and take breakfast with us. Very clean. Good value for money and welcomed us even though we were late arriving.

The owner, Percy is lovely and accommodating.

For the price paid I would have expected a complimentary cooked breakfast. What you get instead is a basket of food items in your room; instant porridge, bread roll, small orange juice & chocolate bars. You get a kettle with tea & coffee in your room, albeit my kettle didn't work. This was however quickly replaced with another one.

The owner, Percy is lovely and accommodating. The room is comfortable and clean with close street parking for free in the evenings. I would have rated this higher had there been a cooked breakfast or the price had been cheaper.

The location was very good for me, the place was nice and...

All ok for me

The location was very good for me, the place was nice and clean, the owner/manager was very pleasant and helpful. I stayed in a little single room, which, though small, had an en suite, TV, tea and coffee facilities and a little basket of items for breakfast (instant porridge, choc croissant, biscuits, orange juice). Separate Door with key to enter from if coming back late was useful too. Parking on the street was luckily available for free in evening but think was time limited/paying during day, however I did not require day parking. Would stay here again

Kind host
    • Single Room with Private External Bathroom

Couldn't turn heating up there was no dial. Not sure if this was on purpose or not but I felt cold.

Kind host and lovely decor inside the property. Bathroom was quite big and was very clean so was the room.

Homely, welcoming place to stay.
    • Single Room with Private External Bathroom

The rubber under sheet which made me hot & sweaty and sleep difficult. I’m sure the owner has had a bad experience in the past, but that is no justication for treating guest as potentially incontinent or as too idle to use the toilet. My plea to the owner is to remove that rubber sheet so guests can sleep comfortably.

The welcome was warm, lots of assistance with directions to trams, buses, pubs & eateries; the room was tidy, clean and comfortable with a very welcome breakfast tray with porridge, fresh fruit, biscuits & snacks.

I definitely would recommend to others especially family and friends.
    • Single Room with Private External Bathroom

Place is extremely clean, and very comfortable. It feels like home from home

Extremely kind host, very welcoming. This was the second time I stayed there.. wouldn’t go anywhere else.

A good choice and a reasonable price .

Everything was good could not find anything wrong.

Our time at Antini House , was great , the Room was very clean , Bed very comfy , Breakfast very Healthy for us . Short Bus ride into Town buses Frequently , Shopping centre we found very nice. all in all very nice place to stay which we will use again when we stay in the Uk. Percy the owner was very , very , kind and considerate we found.

when i next stay in croydon will definately stay there again

only down side was hot water not working but hot shower made up for that

friendly proprietor local to shops unlimited tea / coffee and comfy bed

Enjoyed it but spent to much time traveling into central Londonderry

You needed to get overground train from Victoria to east croydon then bus to addiscombe we thought we were in east Croydon so had to use lots of teansport

Good as basic, no frills budget accommodation.

Powdered milk as part of the breakfast hamper was very disappointing. Catering pack individual cartons of long-life milk would be much better. The second floor room was very hot - a fan could have been provided. The overall stay was spoiled by very noisy guests causing a disturbance both inside and outside the property at several points in the night, with no intervention from the manager.

Good as basic, no frills budget accommodation. The location was convenient and would probably be quiet under normal circumstances. The manager was polite and friendly.

A very cosy stay

Quite narrow bed.

Lovely to be in London and being woken up to the sound of the neighbourhood chickens :-) (don't worry, no rooster!) Extremely friendly host, cosy rooms, neat breakfast basket.

Nice, good and quite place for vacance

In the summer it is a little hard to tolerate the heat, no air conditioner, host brought a fan. I would recomand to install air conditioner.

Very nice and kind hospitality, good breakfast, very quiet and pleasant place. We came the second time and did not regret it.

MISLED by Online Advertisment

Bed in my room no breakfast no parking expensive for what is offered

Nothing had to pay to park in the street very expensive.NO breakfast served therefore cannot be rated as a B&B

Absolutely fantastic!

Percy is wonderful and he is a joy to be around. Atini was fantastic and Percy is so hospitable. I was able to stay and enjoy my time there. Would definitely stay there again.

Shockingly poor
    • Single Room with Private External Bathroom

My tiny room was at the top of the house 3 flights up - sloping ceilings, a 2' x 4' window and a dirty carpet - no hot water to the hand basin, the plastic wall clock didn't work - the wardrobe and dressing table were chipped grubby and covered over with taped plastic, dirty looking grey towels - the shared bathroom 2 flights down was filthy, needed a good clean - the whole house stunk of curry - will never go there again

Not a thing - the exterior of the house was scruffy and untidy - nothing like the picture

MR COOL AT THE ATINI!

I can't think of anything, that's how good the Atini is.

As always "PERCY" was a great host, and those folks who appreciate the simple things in life will love The Atini, its simple, homely, and great value for money.

• Reviewed: 11 May 2017

Single traveller overnight stay
    • Single Room with Private External Bathroom

There was only coffee mate in the room. Hence I didn't have my usual morning cup of tea (tea bags were provided), as well as instant coffee and sugar cubes. Some uht milk in room would be good. The table covering needed a wipe.

The room (triple room) and en suite bathroom was clean. The free wifi was fast. The breakfast hamper was generous. The beds were made up with a sheet and duvet. There was a spare blanket in the wardrobe. There were ample hangers in the double wardrobe.

• Reviewed: 11 May 2017

The owner of the questhouse was very friendly and took the...

The owner of the questhouse was very friendly and took the time to tell us where we could buy an Oystercard. He also showed us the directions. Also he didn't mind that we checked in late, around 11 pm.

Mr Persi, the owner is a very kind man.

Mr Persi, the owner is a very kind man. The room is small but very clean, has everything that is necessary for a comfortable stay and a good rest. Accommodation is in quite area, very close to tram and bus stop. Ok price for a service.

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

GREAT value for money, lovely area and close enough to central London!

One of the beds was a little springy in the centre, but nothing too uncomfortable. Also we couldn't find a hairdryer, but this was not too big of a deal, we didn't check to see if they had one handy elsewhere. Finally the stairs were a little difficult to walk up as they were quite uneven but this had nothing to do with the quality of the room. For the price we paid I don't think any of these complaints truly matter.

The staff were friendly, very welcoming. The owner allowed us to check in half an hour before check in time which was very nice! We were shown around and brought up our breakfast hamper everyday on time! We got new towels each day and beds made by the time we were back with clean carpets! There was no loud noise during the night. The owner noticed we were celebrating a birthday and even left us a lovely gift which was very kind and highly appreciated. We also had access to the kitchen which we didn't use very much but it was nice to know that it was there! They were kind enough to let us leave our bags with them after checkout until we were leaving for the airport. At night the house was lit with fairy/christmas lights making it very warm and welcoming! The price was the best part, specifically because we had an ensuite and the location was 15 mins by train to central London.

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

Atini guest house

Nothing really

Percy is a lovely chap can't do enough for you rooms are spacious and very clean the guest house has a lovely garden and is in a quiet street with a pub and take aways near by

• Reviewed: 26 April 2017

Excellent location, friendly atmosphere and functional room

Very little. It was a cheap, practical room with no frills.

The location was perfect for a quiet nights rest before a trip into London. Percy was very friendly and helpful and the room had everything required in a compact space. Great to have a well stocked tea and coffee tray :).

Great value for money and close to London?

Nothing really

spot on? The place is very pleasant and Percy is such a gentleman? Had a working breakfast but I'm sure is English breakfasts are great?

• Reviewed: 21 March 2017

Great, comfortable, clean, friendly staff, good value for...

Only thing was snoring during the night coming from rooms next door

Great, comfortable, clean, friendly staff, good value for money, ensuite, private, thank you!

Wonderful place to stay

The breakfast was package food and instant coffee. There were apples but it wasn't the best. However there were many places nearby to get a proper English breakfast.

It was on a quiet street but walking distance to Croydon Center.

Excellent Value for Money

The host was very friendly and welcoming. Atini Guest House is excellent value for money! The facilities were lovely and clean and tidy. Good location only 10/15minutes walk away from East Croydon Station.

• Reviewed: 25 January 2017

Atini Guest House

Bathroom very cramped but clean, bed mattress covered with plastic sheet and could feel the springs but firm

Very good price considering all we needed was a room to sleep in and a shower in the morning.

• Reviewed: 19 January 2017

Great host, great location!

Percy is a very affable and friendly host, he goes out of his way to ensure that you have everything you need. The hotel is unpretentious so it doesn't have unnecessary elements like trouser presses, it just has what you need for a comfortable stay. It is ideally located to give access to the trams and trains of Croydon to venture further afield or get into London with little effort. If you are a Ramada Suite type of person it may not suit you, if you like good honest value for money this is what you will get.

• Reviewed: 18 December 2016

breakfast basket was very welcoming, overall a good base to...

Guests in next room were a little noisy until early hours on one night, en suite had a window that was not overlooked but it was clear glass and had a net curtain, was not particularly comfortable with this so hung a towel up for privacy. Parking is free overnight on the street, but you have to be up and out before 9 am if you don't want to feed the parking meter, but this was not problem for us.

breakfast basket was very welcoming, overall a good base to stay for a few nights, clean, warm and with comfortable beds, and host was very welcoming too. We would be very happy to book again.

• Reviewed: 13 December 2016

Value Comfort and Clean

For value for money nothing

Clean comfortable and warm free provision of continental breakfast nice suburban street good transport links Tram Bus and Train links 10 minute walk to main town and East Croydon station.

• Reviewed: 17 November 2016

Cosy and straightforward

A simple and straightforward breakfast basket replenished daily. Also staff extremely helpful, going out of their way to assist and ensure a comfortable stay. Rooms cosy. Nice bathrooms. Definitely worth it on a budget. Excellent value for money.

• Reviewed: 16 November 2016

Good price for what you get

Breakfast pack that is left in your room could be better. We didn't eat much of it as there was nothing much we liked - not the fault of the owners I must add. The price we paid was excellent for a two night stay. Unlike a general b&b you don't have much contact with the owners but that wasn't an issue for us.

We chose this place for convenience of travelling to London then Gatwick airport. Nice touch with the small gift they left us at the end of our stay.

• Reviewed: 14 November 2016

Friendly guest house in good location

Percy is a most welcoming host and was very helpful with all of my inquiries. Excellent value for money. The station was within walkable distance too.

• Reviewed: 27 October 2016

Very enjoyable and peaceful

Though ithe hotel was basic the proprietor was very nice and helpful I loved the room I was in at the top beautiful garden nice and chilled I will be going back again

• Reviewed: 14 October 2016

Room with a view

Great breakfast and facilities for a guest house. I stayed in room 2 which had its own shower room and view of the lovely garden at the back. Was quiet and relaxing. I would definitely recommend for a short stay.

• Reviewed: 12 October 2016

It was a short very relaxing and enjoyable holiday.

It was a short very relaxing and enjoyable holiday. Atini is really comfortable and clean. we were greeted at best. There is a careful customer care and there are all the amenities you need. It is located near the station, so we were able to achieve our goals in a convenient way. and there are also many night clubs near that fill up on weekends. We recommend this house. great place

• Reviewed: 5 October 2016

A very clean and homely place

Mr Percy is a very kind and hard working man. I was a single female with personal issues which Mr Percy was aware of and gave me a lot of support during the 1 month that I was there. He looks after the guesthouse very well and the back garden is maintained so beautifully by him. Thank you Mr Percy for your kindness during my stay.I Will always be grateful.

• Reviewed: 3 October 2016

Economy stay for 1 night

Quite far from London, a little bit closer to Gatwick airport.

Parking, some snacks in the room, quite good value for that money. OK for overnight stay.

• Reviewed: 1 October 2016

Well worth it - highly recommended!

The bed was extremely comfy, the facilities were great, the choice of free breakfast was very extensive, and the proprietor really couldn't have been more helpful.

• Reviewed: 24 September 2016

Recommendable!

Very nice place to stay! Its little outside from London center, but you can reach it easy by the fasten train. It was a typical London House and very lovley personal, which clean the room every day. Nice garden to sit outside and a nice pub in the same street. Thank you very much!

• Reviewed: 22 September 2016

Good value hotel with friendly service and very useful amenities

Very friendly helpful staff Quiet, clean and comfortable room Good facilities Nice location Good price Would definitely want to stay there again

• Reviewed: 22 September 2016

Lovely little guest house not far from East Croydon station.

Convenient location, friendly proprietor, lovely clean comfortable triple room ideal for a small family. Would highly recommend and will be using again for future stays near London.

• Reviewed: 19 September 2016

great staff, even though I arrived earlier because of some...

great staff, even though I arrived earlier because of some scheduling issue, welcomed me in the lovely yard and set the room as soon as possible. gave detailed introduction of room facilities and near around restaurants. big and comfy room, ideal for group travelers.

• Reviewed: 11 September 2016

I've booked online for a single room, but on arrival...
    • Single Room with Private External Bathroom

I've booked online for a single room, but on arrival they upgrade it to a family room. The room is very big and comfortable . I stayed in this family room (room 1) for 2 nights and because of some others'. Booking I was changed into a 2 bed room(room 1) which is also nice as well! At the last day they even offered me a box of chocolate. For me, consider this price , this stay is absolutely perfect!

• Reviewed: 3 September 2016

Lovely stay, only minors, but im picky. Great for money and would stay again.

My wife said the bed looked nice but once in the bed, I felt it very hard and uncomfortable. For a double bed I think it should be a bit bigger. Maybe King-size. I had a slight backache in the morning. Although a nice room, if spent a little more to update the furniture you would have a lovely room.

I liked how clean it was and for the money the nicely presented it was. The duvet was too warm for the summer, maybe something lighter and option to add if the night was cooler.

• Reviewed: 2 September 2016

loved the room

Shower head broken in room 3

Percy was lovely, the room very cosy, felt more like being at home. The breakfast in a basket was an added bonus. So nice to have so many teabags, coffee and sugar, usually in other places we have stayed we have to go ask for more , not this time.

• Reviewed: 21 August 2016

Two days stay on our journey

There is restricted parking on the street during working days, be aware of the rules.

Ensuited bathrooms. Free entrance to the garden. Good transport connection to Gatwick and London. Good pub and very good kebab fast food nearby.

• Reviewed: 20 August 2016

overnight stay
    • Single Room with Private External Bathroom

nothing i didnt like really

Percy was helpful and friendly, quiet at night with comfy bed, so i got a good nights sleep. free wifi was handy, and the shower was good and powerful. i would happily stay here again

Browse Atini Guest House traveller photo gallery