Reviews of Awentsbury Hotel near Birmingham University 2 stars

21 Serpentine Road , Selly Park,, Birmingham, B29 7HU, United Kingdom

#17 of 29 B&Bs and Inns in Birmingham

5.9

6.1

Old, shabby, rundown guest house in need of renovation.
    • Standard Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Room was shabby and cramped, bed uncomfortable, not en-suite, door was hard to close/open, had an odd smell about the whole place, had to ask for a remote for the TV and then it was still not the right one and the staff had the cheek to question what I wanted to watch. This hotel definitely needs serious modernisation.

Breakfast was quite good, location was okay.

Very disappointing. I can’t believe you allow such poor standards in your site.
    • Standard Single Room with Shared Bathroom

The one staff member did her best. But this hotel has clearly not been updated for many years. Quite frankly this hotel is appalling given today’s standards.The staff member had to both serve and cook for all visitors. We had to wait ages for food. A cooked breakfast that was very poor.The decor is dreadful. When I turned on the tv it whistled! I turned it off.

The one staff member did her best. She had to do everything. Well done to her

adequate for sleeping but otherwise pretty bleak.
    • Standard Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Lighting very harsh. Electrical wires hanging loose. Bathroom light switch didn't work. Decor very jaded, rather like poor student accommodation from the 1980's. We chose not to take breakfast.

Comfortable bed. Nice tree in garden.

Convenient location but no luxury here!
    • En Suite Twin Room

Lots! My daughter had a vegan breakfast which was toddler size portion although she is 20! Breakfast not worth £7.00!! Regular breakfast was ok but sauce sachets two years out of date!!

It was close to the university and looked nice from the outside. The room was very basic in need of modernisation and it was grubby and dusty.

friendly, value for money, good location for university visits
    • En Suite Twin Room

breakfast took a long time, we went down at 8 and didn't get anything till half an hour later including tea. a shame as we were planning to be away by 8.30 - perhaps some of it could have been preprepared as there were a few people visiting universities on that day?

very friendly lady checking us in - recommended going to the canals and that was great!

Not great

The beds in some of the rooms were rickety and one bed had a huge dip in in which was difficult to roll out of.

It was a short walk from the University

Clean bedding, proximity to venue the next day.
    • Standard Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Out dated decor and furnishings. Foisty aroma on entry. Literally gave the appearance of walking on set to the Fawlty Towers lobby. Half expected Polly or Manwell to appear! No real open welcome just a confirmation of my name and then told the room number. Asked for payment and then sent away upstairs to find my own way to a room. Room measured 4’ x 8’ and furniture in need of renovating and from the 1970s Open sash windows no double glazing. Sink at the foot of the bed, complete with dripping tap. Breakfast served only between 8am-9am so declined as I had to leave and 7am Only toilet, bath facility was out of the room down the corridor to a shared one with the entire floor. No shower option! Bed was spring and you could feel the bed springs and for me at 6’1 my feet and ankles hung over the end. Bedding was clean and fresh but only a bottom sheet and duvet which wasn’t large enough. No top sheet. For a quick stop over for myself only it made do - won’t rebook there again though.

Clean bedding, proximity to venue the next day.

Ideal for anyone who nees to be next to the University or the Medical Complex
    • En Suite Double Room

One or two house keeping items could be improved but overall fair value for money

The breakfast was well cooked and good value for money. The setting is very quite and it is ideally situated for the University and the Birmingham Hospital Medical complex

Welcome was nice received a phone call about arrival.
    • Single Room with Shower

Welcome was nice received a phone call about arrival. Was welcomed and shown room payment was easy and rooms are lovely and clean would definitely book again

Faded English hotel in leafy suburbs, needs refreshing and updating
    • En Suite Double Room

The staff member who checked us in was very unwelcoming. The room was a double en suite. The patio style window had no safety barrier and a deep drop immediately outside. The option to upgrade to breakfast was not offered. The parking was tight. The pillows were really hard and the room off the entrance vestibule so every entrance and exit involved loud bangs because there were two doors we were told had to be kept closed AT ALL TIMES! Was woken in the early hours by a party returning. The waste pipes of the upstairs room was broken so we could hear water cascading every time that room used the wash basin/shower. The folding ensuite door was broken off its runner and had no handle on the inside from which to close it. The room was dated and had cobwebs. Needed a good clean and a lick of fresh paint. The door rattled a lot. None of this would've mattered had the proprietor been welcoming and made us feel at home. We travel regularly and prefer to stay with independent hotels if we can to support local businesses but regretted this decision! No welcome information in the room, no information in wifi save for a piece of paper taped to the wall in the foyer. No leaflets or information on the local area. Had to rely on Google for food! I did contact the hotel through their feedback email but have not received a reply.

The location is really nice and quiet, with a short stroll through leafy avenues to local pubs and restaurants.

Expensive for very basic facilities.
    • Single Room with Shower

Inconveniently situated toilet. Shared toilet. Inconvenient plug sockets. No WiFi. TV that shut off at midnight. For the price, it was very basic.

I liked the view from my window.

Friendly clean hotel
    • Standard Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The television in our room was a bit small.

It's in a quiet, nice area. Shops and food outlets are just around the corner. Great place to stay if you have several appointments at the hospital or visiting relatives

Horrendous
    • En Suite Twin Room

In a state of poor repair. Curtains falling down, sticky back plastic on toilet seat fraying. I am amazed you have this on your site. It is in need of renovation

This is the cumbiest hotel I've ever stayed in.
    • Standard Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

The room was tiny, The window wouldn't close, there were hairs on the pillow, it was a DIY job on the décor. I've never seen a worse hotel in my life.

There was not a redeeming feature.

Not.good.val
    • En Suite Twin Room

The scruffy presentation of the night staff. The rudeness due to lack of understanding of people. Arrogance when trying.to.explaine.my.dog was a service dog and not a pet. The room needed lots of basic repairs.

The late night check in and friendly cleaning staff the following morning.

The worst accommodation experience that I have ever had in my life - shocking advert for Birmingham.
    • En Suite Twin Room

The bed sagged, and the TV did not work - I reported it and the man impatiently came into the room and fiddled with the make shift connection at the back of the TV - it worked briefly on 2 channels only before ceasing. The hurried, unsmiling and unfriendly attitude of the man prohibited me from asking again. The man was rude to a young Chinese student who was straight off the plane and was coming to live and study in Birmingham, and was trying hard to use his English language skills. I had a shower in 10 cm of water because the shower didn't drain. It also smelled of sewerage. All I wanted for breakfast was a bowl of non sugar laden cereal but all were highly processed. I didn't want a cooked breakfast but paid the same amount as those eating breakfast and lunch together. However when I didn't want sweetened yoghurt and asked for a banana I was told there was none by the man and then he came back with a shriveled apple. Breakfast is obviously a trauma for these people who don't like talking to their customers and who have as little contact as possible - in and out looking to clear tables.No smiles, no interest in people as guests. They are so clearly in the wrong business! After my departure I required a different proof of stay for remuneration and contacted them via email from Australia - no reply so I phoned them, and the woman told me that her husband had already replied - he had not. I phoned again and was sent the booking form that clearly said that payment was yet required - thus no receipt - but was told in this email that this should be all that I needed and that I should not contact them again. I am unable to be remunerated for this stay.

It was located near to the university

Romantic old-fashioned stay in England.
    • Standard Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Cozy atmosphere. Friendly staff. Family run. Small, not too crowded. Quiet. Very comfortable bed. Good internet. Tea and coffee making facilities in the room.

Good value for money. Fulfilled requirements.
    • Standard Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

I am probably wrong, but I did not feel confident that the sheets were not 'second hand'. They may have been clean, but did not seem ironed. Two lights in the room did not work.

Breakfast was good. Staff freindly. Parking free and convenient. Location good.

Visiting son at University of Birmingham so Ideal small room for my 1 night stay,
    • Single Room with Shower

Even though I was early, I was able to book into my room and unpack before going off to Cadburys World which was only a 5min drive from Hotel. Excellent.

An OK price for a last minute booking with parking facilities but a rough night’s sleep and stay.
    • Standard Single Room with Shared Bathroom

The floor boards are incredibly squeaky and loud; the room was a single room and absolutely tiny - I could just about fit my suitcase in and walk to the sink; the window was loose so there was a huge draft; I was right next to the communal toilets so I can hear every noise that people were making in there; the window in the bathroom was also loose resulting in zero sleep as it was windy; everything is so old and dusty. However, I reckon it would’ve been an alright stay if you visit on a non-windy/raining night! It was my bad that I didn’t check properly but it’s a shared communal toilet between a floor. I booked the room last minute so the price was about £40 but a Travel Lodge or Premier Inn would’ve been pure luxury compared to my stay. I wouldn’t advise against staying here but you should just to be aware of the down falls for no nasty surprises.

There were parking facilities, the standard kettle and tea bags and a working TV. An OK price for a last minute booking.

Fine for one night
    • Standard Single Room with Shared Bathroom

The place was run down, there appeared to be one shower for 12 rooms, I had to plug the kettle in on the floor because there wasn’t another plug. All of this would have been fine if the guy who checked me in had been friendly. I had some terrible personal news the day before and he couldn’t have been less empathetic on the phone and was unfriendly in person.

The location was excellent for the uni and you could park.

It was functional, and the shower was hot.
    • En Suite Twin Room

Greeting was poor and based around getting the payment. The beds were uncomfortable, lumpy and noisy. The room was very small for two people. The facilities were there, but so crammed in that they were unusable.

The shower was hot. The location close to the University was good.

small room with impractical shower, guesthouse standards without the hospitality
    • Single Room with Shower

The single room with shower (not pictured on the website) is very small. The shower is a plastic cubicle (looks like a telephone box) placed on the carpet not far from the bed. The shower knob was difficult to use, making the water temperature difficult to regulate (too hot or too cold). The carpet in the bedroom was not clean (I could see hairs and feel dirt under bare feet). I found it overpriced at £50 (w/o breakfast) given its small size, impractical shower and the need to go downstairs to access the shared toilet. The owner took payment immediately on arrival before pointing me to the room (didn't accompany me upstairs or offer to help with my suitcase) and saying I could leave the key on the table when I checked out 2 days later. It felt very transactional: no polite conversation or advice e.g. about where to eat out. Given the outdated décor and facilities this hotel felt like a guesthouse - minus the friendliness. I would not recommend it unless you take one of the better rooms pictured or pay a lower price for basic accommodation.

The hotel is on a quiet road a short walk from the university and nearby shops & restaurants. The bedding and amenities were clean and the room was serviced in the morning. Check-in was quick.

The room was fine, and clean.
    • En Suite Double Room

When I arrived there was no one there to check me in. I called, and they said that they'd be away for another half hour. Apparently they'd tried to call me a few hours earlier -- but as I was travelling I couldn't answer. They left no message, and didn't try to call again. Since I had a suitcase, and the nearest cafes were 15 minutes walk away, I decided to wait the half hour. They took an hour and a quarter to get back. In that time I was waiting in the cold on the front step. I think it is unacceptable to be away for over an hour, in the time specified for check-in, and not make absolutely sure in advance that guests know about this. I did not receive an apology for this, in person or afterwards.

The room was fine, and clean. Pretty much what I expected from the booking.com page.

Don’t think I would stay here again

The room wasn’t like in the pictures it was very run down the advert said ensuite bathroom the shower was in the bedroom which we couldn’t use because the sides were coming off and there was a sink in the room the toilet was out of the room across the hallway. Breakfast was nice though

The bed was comfy

Do not go with high (even moderate) expectations
    • En Suite Single Room

The 'Hotel' is not that of a standard of a standard two star hotel that you may expect, rather akin to that of a hostel. The Awentsbury is in need of a serious refurbishment, the rooms are dreary and outdated. The bathroom was so small that the sink was on top of the toilet, so much that it required me to have to twist to the side. The bed (much smaller than a standard single) was old with an uncomfortable mattress where you could feel the springs with every move thus resulting in a restless and sleepless night.

The location was fit for purpose, otherwise I would not chose to stay here again.

ok fo solo travellers who are not fussy
    • En Suite Twin Room

… i wasn't backpacking, so i needed a bit more comfort. Dripping taps, hot water inconsistent (hot and cold then hot!). Breakfast is served at a very limited time (8-9am only)-though food was ok. overall, its for students who need a to crush a night or two somewhere.

its the kind of hostel i would happily stay at when i go backpacking! (and pay 10 pounds a night)

Upon arrival I sat on the bed and logged onto Booking.com to see if I could find somewhere else
    • Twin Room with Shower

Two hours prior to my arrival I received a text message informing me I needed to pay cash!! The card machine had been broken since Saturday Feb 3rd(??) giving the owner plenty of opportunity to provide me more reasonable notice as I don’t carry cash. My room was more akin to a hostel than a hotel. There was a shower cubicle in the corner of the room with just a curtain and no toilet. There was a covering over the concrete floor which could not be described as a carpet. The duvet on the bed was thin, and bearing in mind it was -2 outside I had to use two. Whilst in bed I could feel a draft coming through the window, which I had to cover with a towel. The mattress on my bed had seen better days and was dreadfully uncomfortable and the bedding was not in the best state. When I lifted the blind in the morning there was weeds growing up the glass.

Nothing whatsoever

Excellent location for Birmingham University
    • Twin Room with Shower

“En suite” Shower and sink were actually in the bedroom and toilet was across the hall. “Bath” towels were tiny - not adequate for a 5’11” woman.

Excellent location for Birmingham University

Simple, comfy and convenient
    • Twin Room with Shower

Only downside was the shared toilet off the corridor, but the rooms have ensuite showers and sinks so not a problem unless you are up several times in the night at home!

A friendly budget option for people who are tired of the Travelodge experience. This family run hotel is a lovely quirky old building, off the beaten path but well located for travel connections (M42 and Selly Oak national rail).

Terrible value for money
    • En Suite Twin Room

We knew the standard of accommodation would be quite low but the price suggested that the standard would be higher than it was. Terrible value for money.

There wasn't a lot to like really.

I won't return to this substandard hotel.
    • En Suite Single Room

Not worth £50- going rate for eg Premier Inn. Terrible soundproofing; room/hotel dilapidated and furnished cheaply. Carpet sticky, curtains hanging off rail, grubby shower grout. Worth £30 max.

The bed was clean and reasonably comfortable

A friendly place to stay with lots of character.
    • Standard Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Someone had chucked a couple of bath products out of an upstairs room which didn't look great lying on the garden.

I liked the old fashioned feel and the way the place looked and felt cared for.

It served a purpose and was in an ideal location for what I needed.
    • Standard Single Room with Shared Bathroom

The tv either didn't work or malfunctioned in all the rooms I was in. The carpets were threadbare and I found someone else's false nails on the floor in the 2nd room I stayed in on the 3rd night. The sinks were dirty and marked with someone else's toothpaste for the 3rd night!

The first 2 nights I was there the bed was comfy and the room was warm. The third night I was in a different room which was less comfy. The owners were kind enough to allow me to park my car for the duration of my stay!

Only location.
    • Standard Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

THIRD FLOOR.LACK OF SECURITY.RODENT INFESTED.LACK OF SERVICE.SOFT FURNISHINGS FALLING DOWN.DANGEROUS.PUBLIC NEED TO BE MADE AWARE.

Only location.Accomodation appalling. Should be closed down.

Ruined my New Years Eve stay.
    • Standard Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

I was not expecting too much considering what I paid but the photos on Booking.com showed a bright, clean hotel with adequate rooms decorated with nice bed linen, what I got was a dingy room on the top floor with a lamp fitting hanging off the wall over one of the beds, I went to look at the shared bathroom and found an out of date horrible bathroom, it was at this stage I left and at 1am in the morning drove home to sleep in my own bed.

NOTHING, wish I had taken photos to back up my negative review.

Reasonable but in need of some tlc.
    • En Suite Twin Room

Curtains coming down in room. Freezing draught through windows. No mirror in room (in bathroom only). Inadequate hangers, drawer space etc.

Breakfast was good value. Hotel well heated.

• En Suite Twin Room

Need to make it clear that there may not be any parking available. Beds are terrible. Needs up-dating lights in bathroom turned on and off whilst in use. Due to electrical faults didnt attempt to use the shower.

Good enough for a one night stay
    • Standard Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Creeky floorboards, could hear the room next to us banging until early hours, window didnt shut in room 9 properly, shower door on same floor wasnt on properly either

It was cosy, not too bad on price for time of year

Accommodation served its purpose well but probably wouldn't stay for leisure.
    • En Suite Twin Room

Tired decor. Could have been cleaner. Creaky floorboards and noisy pipes (people upstairs seemed to need to bath at around 2am!) - but I guess it is an old building.

Close to university. Easy parking. Beds comfortable. Warm.

You get what you pay for and possibly a little more
    • Standard Single Room with Shared Bathroom

I knew I hadn't reserved an en suite room, but the bathroom was FREEZING. Unusable. On another stay,a couple of nights' later, we did have an ensuite, but that room was a little cool, and one of the bed lights did not work and was apparently unfixable

The price and location. Staff were very helpful and I had a comfortable night

A disgrace masquerading as a hotel.
    • En Suite Twin Room

Owner using profanities and charging extra because he had to get out of bed. State of accommodation disgusting old bed and sheets, bathroom from the 60's, no lock on door or room. No curtains so woken at dawn. Wouldn't stay again if I was paid to.

Definitely will stay again if I need to visit the lads.
    • Standard Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Pillows were a bit tired. Shared bathroom (the room I had and I knew this was the case), clean but shower also a bit tired. However no problem with it being engaged when I needed it (think it was shared by just one other room), and close to room too.

Friendly, clean and felt comfortable and safe. Close to uni where visiting my lads. For the cost it was good value.

The room
    • Standard Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

The lady that booked us in and served breakfast...owner I presume...shouldnt be doing the work if she don't enjoy it....very poor...breakfast was pretty much all microwaved...the sausage was prepared b4 breakfast then microwaved...but was still raw...very poor...found the owner miserable and rude...i would sack her if she was an employee of mine!

The room

adequate
    • En Suite Double Room

the double bed was collapsed in the middle- the room had several cobwebs and spiders which were distressing for my daughter breakfast selection was limited- no fresh fruit salad- only orange juice- no fresh towels on second day

Convenient to where I needed to go

Would book again.
    • En Suite Twin Room

Floorboards on landing creaked a lot but the building is old.

Cheap, no frills hotel. Room was clean and warm.Don't expect 5 star accommodation as the building is old.....

Short trip, specific requirements, did the job, left to get on with it. Thank You Awentsbury
    • En Suite Single Room

Clean, comfortable, great location (to meet daughter at UoB) and use train services. (Selly Oak to New Street, Birmingham International for NEC) No frills, did the job. If you want Marble pillars and porter in a uniform go 5 star and pay for it.

A nightmare.
    • En Suite Single Room

Absolutely disgraceful hotel. Staff were rude and shouted at customers. No running hot water and the water that did run was BROWN. When complaining to the staff I was told "Well it's not our fault you'll have to make do." Absolutely vile.

Great value, friendly staff and clean.
    • Standard Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Not being able to shower after 11 (can wake neighbouring rooms).

Really clean, lovely little room, which was really good value for money, shared bathroom that was clean with a nice hot shower. Great place, felt safe as a female travelling alone.

Practical. Suitable for an overnight stay.
    • En Suite Twin Room

The room was next to a sliding door at the top of the stairs. Other hotel users were not considerate and the door was slammed frequently until the early hours of the morning

Ideal location

Awful Dismal Sad
    • Single Room with Shower

The building has been neglected for decades. I saw a vacuum cleaner but going by the state of the carpet in my room it needs replacing. There was a shower and a sink in my room but the nearest toilet was downstairs. I did see another toilet on the stairs near the entrance but later in the day it must have broke as some tape was put over the 'Toilet' sign. The torn tatty tape was indicative of the lack of thought and care this place has been subject to for many many years. There are drawers in the room that the bed blocks, the TV is tiny and impossible to find a comfortable position to watch in, the shower cubicle is fragile to say the least, I was afraid to touch it as it trembled constantly, but that could have been because of the scary noise from the windows, even though double glazed in my room, unlike the one outside the room, the noises would be great for halloween sound effects. I do not understand why a room has a shower and a sink - in green, surely a toilet or cupboards that don't require the bed moving to open would be more useful? There was a phone book available - from 2008!

I wanted to stay in Selly but never again if this is the quality of accommodation. I will drive a bit further or get a cab.

Awful!
    • En Suite Twin Room

Just about everything! No welcome, no smile, no information, no friendliness. Very uncomfortable beds. No acknowledgement in the breakfast room Just thinking about it makes me angry - complete waste of money as it wasn't even cheap!

Struggling to think of anything except the proximity to Birmingham University as we were going to the open day.

To spite feeling unwelcome on arrival, I would stay again because of the price and location.
    • Standard Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

Owner not very welcoming on arrival. not very flexible with breakfast option.

great location in a lovely leafy suburb. beautiful old home. clean and tidy.

Stay at your own risk!!
    • Standard Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Rude staff. poor room no writing table or chair to sit on all week. No where to hang cloths, lived from suitcase all week. Room should not be used for guests only as a broom cupboard. Glad to get home!

Bad experience
    • Standard Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Feels (and smells) old. Everything is cheap. Some sort of appliance worked during the night waking up all guests. They forgot to bring new towels. Avoid, there's no reason to come to this place.

Close to University of Birmingham

Very Welcoming reception on arrival.
    • Single Room with Shower

I only stayed for one night saw was not able to find anything that I didn't like.

Very Welcoming reception on arrival. Very comfortable bed, and good pressure in the shower.

It was close to the University where my son was just moving...
    • En Suite Twin Room

Bedroom was somewhat shabby looking. Not very nice carpet on floor. They charged me for a very simple English breakfast (COLD TOAST) when it was to have been included in price of room. Having said this, one gets what one pays for and so the price was right given how close to my son I needed to be.

It was close to the University where my son was just moving in. It had a decent shower and TV in room

Basic but adequate
    • En Suite Twin Room

This is a B&B not an hotel as there are no other facilities available. The owners are not particularly friendly, especially Angela. They are interested in your money not your stay.

Breakfast is cooked to order and good ingredients but is an extra charge. No other meals or room service is available. Room was clean and adequate. As in Fawlty Towers you can have fun making other words from the name.

Did the job but certainly no wow factor
    • Standard Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

Accommodation needs a massive uplift and modernisation. Tired, old fashioned and sharing a bathroom between 5 rooms is not what we expected.

Breakfast was good and location for university very good.

My stay was very good
    • Standard Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

I didn't like the fact there was only one bathroom, preferred if rooms had there own bathrooms.

I liked the rooms, very nice, beds very clean and comfy

Throwback to the 70s complete with "hot" shower. Check other places first before this one!

Cold, unfriendly unwelcoming landlady. Dirty, grimy room. Boiling hot shower with no possibility to adjust it. Ancient electric kettle that sparked and blew up in my hand. Terrible soft nasty old beds with springs sticking in your back.

I liked how it looked like in the pictures on their website. Unfortunately these didn't match with the property with smelly 70s decor that we visited.

Leafy Edgbaston
    • Single Room with Shower

Decor a bit tatty but I didn't mind, just wanted somewhere near the cricket and I'll defo stay here again next time I need an overnight for a game.

Really handy for Edgbaston as I was going to test match and in a nice leafy suburb

Wont be going back
    • Standard Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Didn't get breakfast.. and couldn't find the host to get any sorted out. On the day that i had to leave breakfast seemed too big a deal for the landlady, I thought she was very rude when she turned her back top me and just carried on putting the juice and breakfast cereal out.. wasn't impressed.

Room was ok, it was basic but clean, bed was comfortable.

Convenient location for King Edward VI school and Birmingham Uni.
    • En Suite Single Room

Shower cubicle was very small, so didn't bother with it. Travel kettle in room was old and switch slightly damaged but they didn't have a replacement. Some of the teabag packets looked like they'd been around rather a long time. Found someone else's grape stems on the floor. Didn't have breakfast there and wouldn't want to stay longer than one night. Man who let me in wasn't very interested in me being there, was left to find my own room etc.

The room didn't look much, the bed was very basic, but I slept well in it. Amazingly the ensuite and single bed and TV etc all fitted in to a compact space. It was in a convenient place for what I wanted to do, was only one night so it was ok.

Location for where I wanted to be was ideal
    • En Suite Single Room

I chose this hotel for location and parking. The car park is very small and I wasn't too happy that I had to park on the street. When I arrived to seemed as if they weren't expecting me even though my reservation had been made weeks in advance. Hotel very dated and overpriced in my opinion.

Location for where I wanted to be was ideal

Property REALLY needs updating.
    • Standard Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

Property REALLY needs updating. Bedrooms very basic, but clean. Bathroom looks like it was refurbished 30 years ago. Communal areas need refreshing and new carpeting. Lovely and friendly owners.

Minimal but functional.
    • Standard Single Room with Shared Bathroom

The bathroom facilities were shared and very spread out - my nearest shower was on the floor above, up a winding flight of stairs, which wasn't ideal.

The hotel is very minimal, and my room was absolutely tiny, but it was good value for money - I booked last-minute and it was very reasonably priced for three nights.

Very good for visiting the university.
    • Twin Room with Shower

Shower cabin, noise (in particular from neighbours' bathroom before 6am). Parking space is limited and not well delimited. The en-suite bathroom had no toilet (I hadn't realised until arrival).

Excellent position, nice area/building, available parking. Rooms are in general a good size.

Practical and affordable to visit the University of Birmingham.
    • Basic Triple Room with Shared Bathroom

We had a shared bathroom, which was OK the first few days when we were the only guests on our floor. On the last day, we had to wait our turn to take showers.

Very practical location to visit the University of Birmingham. Charming old house. Good pricing compared to alternative options.

The place is very well located for the university, which was...
    • Standard Single Room with Shared Bathroom

The wifi was patchy at best, which is especially bizarre given how close to the router my room was.

The place is very well located for the university, which was ideal for my purposes. The breakfast was excellent, with a vegetarian fry-up option available.

close to university

décor rather dated and dilapidated but fine for our purposes.

Clean and comfortable - very convenient to Birmingham university Quiet and good nights sleep.

The decor is tired, the en suite shower/toilet door did...
    • En Suite Double Room

The decor is tired, the en suite shower/toilet door did not fit properly. The walls are rather thin between rooms. The hotel is fine but could do with a refit. A little investment in the hotel could increase its rating and I believe would reap rewards in repeat bookings and recommendations.

No added extras
    • En Suite Twin Room

I booked 2 rooms - one twin one double - with the same price for both with en suite facilities. Double room substantially better than the twin with regards to comfort and décor. Tiny TV in twin room. However neither room had a mirror in the main room at all never mind one near a plug socket to be able to dry and style hair as you dry!! I brough my own dryer thankfully - not one in room. Quite something to consider for the comfort of guests. Shower fine and mirror in bathroom only. Not sure how any guest going to a function can get ready. Owner/ staff friendly enough and sheets clean. Close to Selly oak / university and Harbourne for food out.

Big window in double room with lovely view of the garden . Big TV in this room too.

Don't stay unless you have no other choice!

Beds are terrible, mattress so thin you can feel every spring, had to sleep on top of the duvet! Not very clean, stained carpet and bed linen and all extremely dated. Room overly hot as hot water pipes in the room, luckily weather not as hot as the previous week. Would have moved hotels if there was an alternative nearer the university.

Proximity to University excellent and ability to park there very helpful.

Convenient b&b for a university visit.
    • En Suite Twin Room

The street where the hotel is located was fine, nearby streets seemed a little rough with bouncers on the doors etc. Bathroom was a little old.

Good location if visiting Birmingham University, with ability to park onsite or in the street. Some restaurants in the vicinity. Kettle in the room for tea and coffee.