Reviews of Ballantrae Hotel 3 stars

8 York Place, New Town, Edinburgh, EH1 3EP, United Kingdom

#111 of 138 hotels in Edinburgh

Initially given room in the basement that had no natural light.Asked to change and was given a better room, On first day woken at 6am by numerous slamming doors which went on for 2 hours. On second day,a Sunday, we were woken at 8.30 am by the cleaner hoovering outside my door. Check out wasnt until 11am so why she was hoovering at this time was irritating to put it mildly.

The best thing about this hotel is its good city centre location.

Staff were accommodating in letting me have early breakfast but also kept telling me each morning to come back later first. Staff didn't communicate as day 1 they said if you need early breakfast let us know but not all staff were told.

Rooms where very comfortable and large. Ease of access to Waverly station and town was great.

Wi fi not available in the rooms, only in the reception. This was clearly advised, but very annoying.

Very big room. Excellent location. Receptionist Elina very friendly (and speaks spanish).

An extremely disappointing experience from start to finish. We booked a double en-suite with the Celebration package. On arrival we were told our room had been upgraded and was in another building? When I asked about the celebration package in the room the receptionist disappeared and presented us with a bottle of unopened warm prosecco and two glasses!! I explained the package was to be in the room along with choc's and flowers as a surprise, (as advertised on their website) and we were told the maid must of forgot. I refused the bottle, however, I had already paid the full price including the celebration package. The bottle was taken away and we were told they would bring it to the room when it was cold. Tired and exhausted from travelling and sightseeing we asked for our room key. We found the other building and (4 flights of stairs later) we found an attic room which was filthy, the bed broken, the mattress flat, broken sockets, and extremely dirty walls. (looked like urine stains) Mould on doors windows and shower! The window single pained broken and filthy! We immediately complained and after a while, being advised to fill in a complaint form first, to enable them to access weather we could be moved or not as we were told they were full, we were told to come back to reception. We were then given another key to go to another room. NOT shown to the room, we made our way with luggage, of which we accepted, this room was better and just 3 star standard. After a wait we finally got some of our celebration package (a bottle of now semi- warm prosecco and a box of regular chocolates (no flowers) brought to the room). The staff were uninterested and obviously doing a job, with little if no pride. Oblivious to meeting our needs and expectations, we were made to feel like we were being fussy!! No apology was offered at any time. The Hotel is NOT a hotel, it is a B&B with wifi only in the breakfast room in the main building.

• Single Room with Private External Bathroom

- Value for money, as my room was in the basement of the hotel & bathroom in a separate room (next to my room) !? - „Poor internet connection“ !!!

- Location is ideal, next to the city center - Very „Welcoming & Friendly“ staff - Cleanliness of the room - Decent breakfast

Blind on window wouldn't drop down

The evening receptionist think his name was Paul was very efficient & helpful.hotel is in a good position but I'm afraid it needs a refurbishment. Bedding towels & shower all spotless which was nice

The staff carried my luggage to the 2nd floor so that's not even a negative!

The bathroom was amazing. I'm not a great tv watcher but I was so tired and I liked that there was more choice than normal. I slept soundly.

• Single Room with Private External Bathroom

Don’t get the room with external bathroom. It was my fault for booking it. The room is in the basement, it was small, and loud. In the early morning, there are staffs smoking right outside your window, and you can smell it and hear them chatting away. The night reception staff was also unfriendly.

The location was good.

• Quadruple Room

- Wi-fi didn´t work and since we are in 2018...this is big disadvantage. - Continental breakfast was very good, however I would appreciate more variety. 3 times you can survive with the same food offer, but not so sure if you are staying around one week or longer. I would also appreacite vegetables. Othervise delicious. - Terribly noisy inner door in the next building, room 25. Heavy as hell and noisy and there is nothing you can do about it.

- Tasty breakfast - Spacious and clean room with nice beds even though they were little too softy for my liking, but this is up to individual's preferences :) - Super quick check-in and check-out, helpful stuff - Very close to city centre (Waverly station/Princess street - 4-5 minutes...Royal mile - 6 minutes) - Good bathroom

Room was facing the main street so it was noisy. No water in the room.

Great location, large room, bathroom with bathtub, very comfortable bed mattress, can get really warm if desired. Coffee and tea provided. Tiny (5 spaces) but free private car park. We were lucky to find a free space (put Dublin Street Lane South in your GPS to find the entrance - it’s behind the Hotel). Would book again as it was very good value for the money!

Not very clean. Very dark and the mattress on the bed was older than me and I’m 50 this year! Also no breakfast even though I paid £125 for the room. When I asked how much breakfast was he said £7.50 each but it’s only continental...rip off as cafe across the road serves full Scottish for £8.50. They obviously bump the price up for the Uni open day. Never again.!

Only the location

I feel like the overall price was steep, but the location most likely plays a huge part in that. This was a rushed booking, so I think I could have found a better value, had I had the time.

Breakfast was included in our pricing and it was exactly what we needed to start each day. The rooms were boutique like and the history of the hotel and the building prior uses were quite interesting. Great location for the city center!

The wifi access is limited in public areas. We need to stay outside of the room to get online, which is very inconvenient. The other thing is our window in the room can’t be locked. It is connected to the road outside by just a staircase. We need to take everything valuable with us in case anyone broke into the room.

Great location. Nice and clean room.

Nothing to dislike

Friendly helpful staff, required an early check in which was accommodated at short notice, lovely basement room, excellent location in central Edinburgh.

I loved the room, it was huge and warm plus the bathroom was clean and it had got everything I need. The only problem was the noise, the room was next to the bus stop so I heard every single bus

• Quadruple Room

Hotel room appears to not have been maintained/renovated for some years. Old very worn carpet. Thinning mattresses. Multiple tiles and sink were cracked and in disrepair. Much of the grout between bathroom floor tiling was gone with no attempt made to replace or maintain. Entire hotel boasts 4 parking spaces. Be prepared to pay for parking in nearby parking garages. WI FI AVAILABLE O N L Y in common areas.. NOT in rooms. WIFI was difficult to connect to and spotty even in common areas.

Easy location quickly accesses central Edinburgh and transportation lines. Bathroom was large and warm.

Full balance on arrival and a bit of an odd smelling entrance.

Fairly priced for the facilities. Location excellent for easy access to the centre of town and within a good distance of the castle and other major attractions.

No soy milk, (or almond or oat milk). In 2018 they really need to move with the times. So many people would not be able to have their coffee or breakfast cereal and have to go out to a local cafe - we had to. There were also no food options for vegans - at least some hash browns for breakdmfast would be good. I wasn't well in bed the second night and couldnt get downstairs but room service was not available so I had no meal at all. That's not good when they state they have room service up until 9.30 pm.

This building has loads of character and is wonderfully decorated.

No Wi-Fi in bedroom. Long climb to top floor

Provided me with gluten free food for breakfast when requested. Carried my case up to my room on the top floor as no lift.

The wifi wasn’t available in the room and the wall-mounted TV was pretty wonky.

Excellent bathroom facilities, great location. No fuss. Overall, well worth it.

Steps - tons of steps. Very old and small.

Asked for room on lower floors and received confirmation that they were able to assign one. When we got there my request had been cancelled and we got a room on the 3rd floor. Staff was nice, continental breakfast was good. Location was not great.

Sadly, there was an issue with hot water-we had none for the whole weekend-and the staff knew this when we were checked in, but there was no mention of it-we would have gone elsewhere. So, we spent a weekend boiling the kettle to wash. Manager was not supportive of the staff when they were dealing with complaints. To be honest, I felt deceived and it did put a downer on, what otherwise, was a fantastic weekend in Edinburgh. I would not use this place again-not because of the issue-things like this happen-but because of how it was, and has been handled.

Beautiful building, in a fabulous location.

Some people would find it difficult to have a room situated on the top floor. Especially if the hotel had no lift.

The hotel was centrally located, in close proximity to local transport links. It was clean and had all that was required for a one night stay: comfortable bed, a very good bathroom (4* stars for this one!), toiletries were a nice touch, television, table and plenty of storage if required.

No hot water due to an issue but the hotel did apologise, offer a partial refund and tried to offer alternatives so customer service was excellent. There was only a continental breakfast option- a hot breakfast option would have been nice

The room was lovely and the location was food

No hot water in the room. Fixed last day and then only luke warm. No wifi in room. No lift. No air-con. Was told we would get 25% of our money back. Fingers crossed.

Great location. Most of the staff were great. Nice room. Comfortable bed.

There was no hot water in the rooms. The staff new but did not bother to alert guests. Only when you reported it did they admit they new. First day they gave indication that it would be rectified. When it wasn't they offered use of a spare room two doors down from the hotel. Really bad guest relationship. I heard others also complaining about being badly let down. Will definitely not being going back there.

Location. I managed to get one of the five car parking spaces at the rear.

After the second night there was no hot water to our room on the second floor for the rest of our stay. There was no news from the staff until we notified them. After complaining we did get a hot shower in a room two doors down the street. It spoilt our holiday break. We complained to the Tourist Information Bureau who made a note of our problem

The view of the Firth of Forth was marvellous.

no wifi on the first couple of days. window seems to be a bit broken, cannot really close it. some stairs need to be renovated

location is great and the price is relatively cheap. nice stuff

First room offered to two over sixty year olds in attic both with chronic diseases. When we complained we were given a noisy basement room, which was next to emergency exit, but was used to access car park and for cigarette users, the smoke of which came into room. The room was dirty, was nothing like the website. We were there for four nights room was not cleaned or hovered, the duvet was thrown over unmade bed. The bathroom was not cleaned and in fact the toilet was used when we were out and not flushed. The towels were left lying in a heap. Toilet rolls were not replaced when they ran out and tea, coffee etc was only replaced on last day. We were horrified by this as we have never had such a bad hotel, the staff were not approachable. We paid £495.00 for this. It was supposed to be for a special occasion. I will make sure that this hotel is known about within all my acquaintances.

The hotel uses 2 buildings. Our room was located in the second site on the top floor, no lifts meaning a 58 stair climb, so be warned if you are asthmatic or have copd....make sure you have all with you before heading out! The furnishing and decor could do with a refresh as looks worn / battle weary. A modern door locking system would give more confidence than the key used at present.

Great location in city centre close to Waverley Station. Easy to find. Staff friendly. Continental breakfast at £7.50 and was good. Great view from our room on top floor. We got a great deal on booking.com so price paid (£117 for 2 nights) was just right for the property. I would use this hotel again.

Breakfast wasn't great..... cheese and meat looked as though it had been lying out for a long time and wasn't refrigerated.

Location Was a great

Basic Breakfast

Very close to Edinburgh Waverley. We requested a ground floor room in advance and the hotel got straight back to us and were very helpful.

When I returned to reception to get keys to my room after checking in too early the receptionist asked me: "delivery?" I was mortified!!!! He mistook me for a deliverer!! I found him incredibly incompetent. Also the WIFI and TV were not working. The breakfast was served far too late for people there on business and so I lost the money I paid for it...

Huge room

Breakfast was weird with not a huge variety to choose from. The hotel was noisy all night, lots of banging doors, creaky pipes.

Lovely room - large, comfortable bed, great TV and good room facilities (hairdryer, ironing board and iron, kettle etc). Lovely big windows and a nice view.

The only gripes I can think of is when fellow guests exit the premises via the front door after closing, it causes our room door to shudder which can be an irritation when you're sleeping. Also, the water from the shower doesn't drain very well causing a possible minor flood in the bathroom. Perhaps the drains need some attention.

Great place to stay and what helps is the proximity to the main station (Waverley) which roughly 3-5 mins walk, making it fairly central. The room is big, nice and spacious, wasn't expecting that at all. There's also a tram stop nearby so that helps a great deal. The main castle and Royal mile is within easy reach too.

Could provide better bed.

Cental location. Easy access to tram, bus and rail. Walking distance to major attractions and shopping malls. Plentiful of food nearby. Friendly staff.

The mattress were uncomfortable you could actually feel the squares from the wires inside the mattress, and hairdryer was overheating after 15 second and you have to wait 2 min to cool down( my wife struggle to do the blow-dry )

Nice location and quiet room looking into a backyard. Good value for money

There is no elevator, but it didn't bother me at all. There is no mini fridge in the room, but no problem.

The hotel is in an excellent location, very close to all the tour bus meeting points, the train station, lots of restaurants. You can walk to Old Town in less than 20 minutes. A tram from the airport stops nearly in front of the hotel door. There is a heated towel rack in the bathroom; the shower was modern and the water is very hot. There's a nice ledge in the bathroom, on which to put your cosmetics. Bed was clean and comfy. Big screen TV. The room was large and had plenty of storage areas.

my double room did not look like the pictures, not complaining just the pictures look much nicer. |There was no Wifi either during my stay only in the main lobby

Breakfast was great

Initially our rooms were located on the top floor of the hotel which doesn't have a lift. This was not acceptable ,as I have a lung problem. However other rooms were found for us on the first floor which were okay. The cleaning could have been better.

The situation of the hotel was good. The breakfast was excellent.

Surly reception staff member. Bathroom smelled of wee. Beds uncomfortable. Carpet not hoovered. It's all been said by previous guests.

Location is the only positive thing about this hotel .

Second time in this hotel, perfect location just 2 mins from Princes Street and Waverly Station. Huge room ( no 31 ) with a double and 2 single beds, the furniture is a bit dated but the room is clean and the beds comfy, plenty of tea and coffee and biscuits. The bathroom has recently been refurbed with a lovely powerful shower and loads of soap and shower gels. Didn't have breakfast on this occasion but it was very good last time. I'd recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Edinburgh

There is no lift which might be an issue for some people. Our room was in the attic so lots of stairs to carry your bag up. This did not spoil my stay.

Comfortable hotel in excellent location. Fantastic view from our room in the attic, and for the centre of a city reasonably quiet.

Building is actually no’s 8 and 12 If you are bringing a car you are 2 flights below reception Check your room as we were supposed to go two doors down the street then up 70 stairs to our room I requested a lower room and the receptionist was thankfully obliging We are not mountain goats

The room we were in eventually was excellent Location good views good

• Single Room with Private External Bathroom

The view from my basement was like looking at a tipping ground....old office chair & other rubbish... not very pleasant.

Friendly helpful staff at reception

Everything !!!

Arrived to find our room was 4 flights up with no lift. Table for tea making had not been wiped. Spar missing from banister. Seat repaired with 2 pieces of 2x2 wood and roughly painted. Secondary glazing - just as well as primary glazing window had fallen out and glass still on roof awaiting the next storm to send it a 100 feet plus to the ground. Drab decoration added to the overall terrible experience.

We had no idea that we'd be staying on the 4th floor of the 2nd building and a little heads-up would be good, especially as we travelled around a lot everyday and climbing up to the very top floor (no elevator) was not something we looked forward to. The internet also did not reach the 4th floor which was very disappointing.

The stay overall was wonderful! The hotel is lovely, and the area is absolutely brilliant. Very safe and very near all central locations - you have a short stroll over to a variety of restaurants/shops, and places such as the Botanic Garden and the Edinburgh Castle are not too far either! <3

Cheap rooms are of course not as nice as the ones pictured, some are underground. Some noise from outside.

Easy check in with concierge and we were able to leave our bags early. Reasonably comfy bed. Close to airport tram and downtown.

We were given keys to a room when we opened the door the bed had been slept in the towels all used and some personal effects were on the side..Yes they changed our room but not a good start.

Bed was comfy

I loved the georgian style room and the amazing ensuite was to die for! Me and my husband were staying overnight for a show in the playhouses booked this hotel last minute literally hours before the show and got an amazong deal staff were so friendly and helpful the only thing I wasn't as keen on was the stairs they're so many of them but over all it was AMAZING I'd go back in a heart beat right in the heart of Edinburgh a 5 min walk away from the play house easy to park also private parking at the back made it so much easier for me and my husband.

WiFi was poor, couldn’t connect. When asked staff, they said the modem was old and newer devices couldn’t connect. Room needs a spruce up

Extremely spacious rooms, fantastic location, large comfy beds

• Single Room with Private External Bathroom

The private bathroom was separate from the room - some 10ft. away - often uncomfortable especially at night. While this is not unusual and was explicitly indicated in the reservation, it is often ignored Internet was quite erratic and connection is often lost even in the public place such as dining room.

Breakfast was decent and filling.

Our daughter's room in the basement was not so good, a lot of rubbish outside her window and a very uncomfortable bed.

The room my husband and I had was lovely. The only drawback was that it was up three to four flights of stairs. The breakfast was very good with a lot of choice and smoked salmon everyday!

• Quadruple Room

Lighting was poor. Electric came on by itself with the kettle. Carpet needed a hoover. Tea and coffee not topped up - we had to ask. Window jammed open. The road was very noisy all night - ear plugs were needed!

Location and size of room. Staff were friendly on the phone and in person. Booking. Com said no parking but there was a free parking space at the hotel. The room was on the ground floor.

Very basic room that needed upgrading. Broken blind, curtains that didn’t even meet in the middle. Everything was tired and shabby. We only paid for bed as we ate breakfast out and after seeing the hotel, I’m very glad we did. We got an amazing breakfast at the Papii cafe which is a short walk away.

Room location and deco was poor. Couldnt see a fire escape even though at the top of the building up several flights of stairs. Room needed some repairs. Shower temperature was not regulated and went from exterely hot to very cold in seconds.

It would be useful to have a shelf or a small table in the bathroom, there was nowhere to put toiletries. The room window vent wouldn't close so I had a draught on the bed all night, and couldn't shut out noise from the busy street above. The entire doorway frame let light in from the hall disturbing my sleep. The soundproofing in general was awful - I could hear people talking outside my door, and was awakened in the morning, abruptly, by the banging bed upstairs.

Beautiful building, great location, and staff were friendly and helpful. Single room looked recently decorated, was well equipped and had lovely decor, with a beautiful, well-sized, en-suite bathroom. Breakfast was a lovely continental buffet, fresh, with a good choice.

The male staffs seems not professional trained, no smile and not polite at all. The room cleaning is not well done, no body gels were provided from second day. The isolation from other rooms were not good. you can clearly hear people from next room using toilet. sounds like just beside your head in the night. limited breakfast room with very little choice.

The location is good for exploring the city and close to tram station

Slightly noisy as is on a main street but slept soundly

Location was excellent, staff were so helpful and friendly! Room was massive and well equipped.

The room was not clean! Dust in wardrobe and draws, mould in bathroom and just not clean.. On the 4th floor no lift and no offer of help with suitcases

The staff were friendly..continental breakfast was good..

Worst housekeeping we have ever experienced, the bed was made but only just the pillows were not arranged as they should be, a nice bathroom but hardly serviced at after first night, towels not folded and stored, soap dish and toilet roll holder broken. The window cill in the bedroom had really heavy dust and was filthy.

Firstly - on arrival in the room I went to put on the bedside lamp and I noticed there were two shriveled up chips behind the locker which was most disappointing. Then, having booked a double room, the double room was two single beds pushed together with a gap between the beds which did not fit together. Also on day two of our stay I requested of the receptionist for fresh sheets and towels for the room which were not delivered. A very disappointing experience to say the least.

The location was ideal, central and all amenities were close by.

Everything was wonderful.

This hotel provided a beautiful high ceiling room, comfortable bed, bus and tram stop right outside the door, good breakfast, and close to shopping and attractions.

When we arrived . We were given a box room in another building which was filthy with dust . And was a very dark room . We had booked for 3 nights . We stayed in that room the 1st night and couldn’t stay there the second because I was getting chesty from all the dust and my partner felt dirty in that room . So I went to reception and demanded another room so they gave us one . It was a very clean room with a comfortable bed and lovely clean bathroom which you’d expect. But ..... the second room was below the dining area and next to a toilet . People walking around upstairs until about 3am and the toilet been flushed meant very little sleep was got until the 3rd night , but we only slept because we were both exhausted 😩. Location was the only good thing about the hotel . If we could have gotten a refund after the first night I would have taken it and stayed somewhere else ..

Very reasonably priced, clean and in a great location. Tram access is about a 2 minute walk. You can also store your bags after you check out if you want to spend the day in city. Staff were very friendly and helpful.

The window was not properly isolated. On the first day there was cold in the room, even if the radiator was at maximum No elevator

Comfy bed, clean room Nearby city center Very friendly personnel

The key chain is awfully big if you are not using a handbag. That the only "negative" thing I can say about the hotel is about the keychain tells a lot about the quality of the place!! Very recommended

Spacious rooms, with a personality and an amazing location. Overall very good value for money

I requested a first floor room which I did not get, my husband has mobility problems. If one was not available I should have been informed

The bathroom was beautiful the breakfast was excellent

The beds were very hard and the TV didn't work properly, when asked at reception I was informed the seagulls had pecked the Ariel

The room was a great size and the bathroom was lovely and warm, very modern, lovely continental breakfast, friendly staff.

The room was very cold, the windows let in cold and draft. The curtains didn't close fully or open fully. The mirrors and lighting were useless if you want to do your make up. The breakfast let the hotel down. For 7.50 you paid for hot drinks and toast. Meats and fish were left out in a small warm room all morning. Not worth the extra payment.

The staff couldn't have been kinder or more helpful always with a smile on their faces. The beds were comfy and location were fantastic.

Greeted with urine in toilet - no WiFi or tv - after flushing toilet the cistern continuously flowed for entire stay. Breakfast was continental only - nothing cooked. Half The dining room was closed off so the small breakfast room was overcrowded and very difficult to negotiate obtaining the food.

• Single Room with Private External Bathroom

No cooked breakfast except warm, hard boiled eggs. No tv signal. Very awkwardly placed door locks. Poor bed.

Excellent location. Relatively inexpensive.

Only does continental breakfast although this is Ok if that's what you want ,but if like us you want full English don't bother booking the breakfast as there are loads of places nearby., the hotel does have a bar but it's not open this also is not a problem as there are loads of pubs etc close by .

Clean comfortable friendly staff perfect location for everything in Edinburgh city

We were moved at short notice to the sister hotel which was fine but looking at the cost between the 2 hotels I feel we could have got the 2nd room cheaper or even an upgrade would have been nice. I do like this hotel and have stayed before and my only other criticism is this is the 2nd time they have taken payment or part payment before I have arrived and not sent me a receipt or even let me know it has happened.

The breakfast was very good and the location to the bus station was great and the bus station was always very close

The hotel is a Georgian building with five floors and no lift....we were on the top floor !! The décor was rather dark and needed to be updated as did most of the furniture in the room. Beds were barely acceptable. Heating in one of our rooms was poor and unable to really provide adequate heat as the ceiling was high and radiator small and old. The bar and lounge area followed a similar pattern.

Only its location which is in walking distance from Princes Street and Waverley station. Is close to a tram stop. The bathroom had been recently upgraded to 3 star + standard with good toiletries.

Browse Ballantrae Hotel traveller photo gallery