Reviews of Balmore Guest House 3 stars

34, Gilmore Place, Edinburgh, EH3 9NQ, United Kingdom

#162 of 185 B&Bs and Inns in Edinburgh

• Reviewed: 22 September 2018

Happy and comfortable stay. Willing to stay again for sure.
    • Double Room Ensuite

Some of the plug points not working well. Toilet seat found cracked. However was immediately replaced by the maintenance staff. No lift. Stayed in a room on the top floor which is about two storied high. Difficult for old aged people and for people with knee problems to climb up the steep stairs as well as lifting large size suitcases. Room cleaning could be improved e.g. vacuuming of floor carpets

Old Style Georgian House. Location is about 10 min to 12 min drive from Edinburgh Castle and of roughly same distance from Edinburgh Waverly Railway Station. Excellent and well behaved and cooperative staff. Very good and sumptuous breakfast. Tea arrangement in the room. Comfy beds. Linen and upholstery good. Cleanliness of bathroom and towels assured well. Heating system is good. Excellent connectivity to city by Lothian buses e.g. No 10 and No 27. Bus stop at Lochring Buildings about 02 minutes walking distance from Hotel on the left side on the same footpath. Taxis can be booked directly from the hotel by the staff and it is very promptly serviced too. Good value for money.

• Reviewed: 22 September 2018

Comfortable what we required for our short visit to Edinburgh.

We weren't told there was cereals fruit etc available self service in the kitchen before cooked breakfast was served😠

On bus route. Friendly staff. Value for money. No complaints. Enjoyed our stay. Ideal for our needs - hospital treatment.

• Reviewed: 22 September 2018

Umm. Won’t be staying again.
    • Twin Room en suite

No parking available. Room really small and had to pay extra £10 as we were late checking in after car problem. Breakfast was very average. Member of staff when checking in was quite rude.

• Reviewed: 21 September 2018

Would not recommend
    • Double Room with Private External Bathroom

Room was tiny, double bed pushed against a wall,no blinds at window. Bathroom built in a cupboard, shower door could not close as too big for the cubicle . Breakfast was poor, juices were concentrated, one teabag per pot of tea for two people. Items were taken off the menu and not replaced.?

We had a lovely stay enjoyed the Hop on Hop of bus. Edinburgh is a lovely city and a nice vibe.
    • Double Room Ensuite

The location near the center of Edinburgh was great and the on site parking was a bonus. The room was adequate for our needs. The staff friendly and accommodating. Breakfast very good.

Location was good, castle was a 10 min walk
    • Double Room Ensuite

Good size room until 4 beds are put in when a double was booked,had to pre book breakfast the day before not have what you fancied, pre payment was taken when it says payment on arrival, breakfast was in a different building up the road, 2 damaged cups in the room

Location was good, castle was a 10 min walk

Bad price performance, not recommended!
    • Double Room with Private External Bathroom

- 30£ for 3h delay in check in; even when announced in advance. - room: just enough for a 140x200m bed with one blanket for 2 persons - the worst price price performance I have ever booked - thin walls; when people have breakfast your night is over - breakfast after 9am not possible - checkout until 10 am...

- Location‘s very close the the Old Town - simple but lovely breakfast - everything‘s clean

Good value B&B

Quite noisy as the road is busy there is no double glazing. Didn’t keep me awake though.

Comfortable beds, very clean and tasty breakfast. Great value for money. Good location.

Getting charged ten pounds A HOUR for every hour if you...

Getting charged ten pounds A HOUR for every hour if you check in after 9pm and being refused a receipt for it ! And the receptionist incredibly rude ! Was told it’s in the small print on Booking.com breakfast under cooked / mattress well past it’s usage. Spoiled our weekend away . Never again will use this B&B . Edinburgh is lovely just don’t stay here !!

The service staff were wonderful.
    • Twin Room en suite

The host spoke to us in a very condescending manner during check in. He then criticized our parking which was straight on in our spot but, according to him, left no room for people with a suitcase. The seat fell off the toilet every time you sat down and the mirror light didn't work. There was perhaps 3" of room between the bed and the coffee service forcing you to kneel on the bed to make coffee. Speaking of my bed, I really didn't appreciate the hair, in both strands and clumps, that I found when I turned down my bed. Disgusting! All of the obvious spots were clean, but the bathroom garbage can, the vent covers and the shower were all lacking in cleanliness.

The service staff were wonderful. Polite and helpful with a good sense of humour. The home itself was decorated very nicely with beautiful plaster work and wainscoting and old time wallpaper complete with huge flowers. The art pieces were interesting and the baroque furniture was lovely. The chef's breakfast was okay and the coffee was excellent.

Great location and nice breakfast service but whatever the price the room and bedding shoud be clean
    • Double Room with Private External Bathroom

Found out on only arriving that I was staying in a house a few yards down the road. Woman who greeted ne took me to the doorstep but not to the room (I'm not sure she would even have done that if I hadn't been rather obviously on the wrong side 60!). Turned back duvet on entering room to find old blood stains on the bottom sheet. Bedding was changed for me but didn't leave me with a feeling of great confidence that the room had been cleaned since the last visitor. Some mould in bathroom (which was bijou - no chance of both being at the sink and closing the bathroom door....). Probably wouldn't have mentioned if I had first been met with pristine sheets but it rather set the tone badly

The staff serving b'fast were great and the food was well prepared

Wonderful guest house
    • Double Room with Private External Bathroom

Owners and staff were friendly and accommodating. Hospitality was fantastic, the breakfast was delicious, we loved the lounge in the evening, enjoying a beverage with a view over the town. Would definitely stay here again!

Very enjoyable stay at your B&b. Good breakfast and nice staff
    • Twin Room en suite

See above about the bedroom

Friendly and helpful. The room we had was great, but unfortunately we had the attic room and both myself and my husband are well into our seventies, the stairs were a bit too much for us, but we managed and if ever we came back to Edinburgh we would book with you again, but this time ask for a first floor bedroom.

Had a great few days away
    • Double Room Ensuite

After reading about guests reviews.i didn't hold my breath But when we arrived until leaving it was good.i think some guests expect to much for there money.

Very good for the money I paid.
    • Single Room - En Suite

For TV maniacs - TV in a wrong place, just behind the head of the bed.

I stayed in a single room - the bed was quite big and very comfortable. Small bathroom - probably too small for some people, for me it was ok. Breakfast tasty, WIFI always working. Not far from centre.

Dreadful DIRTY beds and poorly maintained b&b, not recommended!

There were 3 of us booked in, costing total of £237.50. Only 2 sets of towels, cups, tea & coffee and toiletries provided, so we had to ask for a third set. Lock on door was broken, meaning we had to go out in the evening with the room unlocked, this was mended later in the evening. The bedding is FILTHY. I have taken photos of the disgusting stained pillows (pillowcases clean, but how many body fluids on pillows was unbelievable), mattress had no protector on it and was stained in many places with just a thin (clean) sheet on top, again I have photos. Two chairs provided in the room were filthy, looked as if they had been partly cleaned but then given up (photos), would not want to sit on either of them! The curtain rail was broken and had been stuck together with gaffer tape (again, photos). The window only stayed open if you wedged it with a mug! For 2 nights at £237.50 I think this was a joke. Could not ask for a refund as the payment is taken from your credit card before you arrive. I would definitely NOT stay here again due the poor cleanliness of the room, I do not expect 5*, 4* or even 3* BUT I do expect that my money buys me a clean room with the facilities I thought I was getting, like a door that locks and a clean bed & pillows. Quite frankly shocking and I would NOT recommend unless standards improve.

Location great, walking distance to grass market, royal mile & castle, we also were able to park outside the front of the b&b for free. Breakfast was good, but had to ask for toast, milk, plates etc (the basics!) on day 2. Staff were helpful.

• Reviewed: 9 September 2018

Fabulous
    • Twin Room en suite

For the last few days we didn't get clean towels,the bathroom could have been cleaned a bit better ,there's no change in the breakfast menu I can't have eggs and most of the menu is eggs

Staff were so helpful ,didn't have to wait for tea /coffee and breakfast even when they were busy ,location was good ,restaurants were good and close ,Edinburgh castle was close about 20 min walk and it was a nice walk ,just loved Edinburgh, want to do it again we went on a guided tour of the castle with salmander tours, our guide Ryan was great from start to finish

• Reviewed: 9 September 2018

it Done the job

Some staff were ignorant not a smile from some of them. Bed uncomfortable, Toilet too close to the wall had to sit sideways. Door didn’t lock. Breakfast was not very good, bacon streaky and mostly fat, definitely wasn’t served with a smile. My back ached every morning with the bed and every time I turned over it creaked terrible

Got a parking space outside. Walk in wardrobe

Nice location and room but very small
    • Double Room Ensuite

Double bed in a single room. No room for 2 people to get changed. Only place to sit on room was in bed which was pushed up against the wall one side. Made it very difficult to get up for the loo if on the inside. I expected much better for the price I paid.

Clean room. Great breakfast.

Walking distance to main Edinburgh attractions.
    • Double Room with Private External Bathroom

Room was separate to the main Building and we had to walk up the road to the breakfast room. This is not clear in the description of the property. The facility is more like a boarding or rooming house than a guest house. Lock on door was not secure and could be easily opened without a key. Rooms are noisy. One of the bedside lights was faulty, front door was not secure, bed uncomfortable. I would not recommend Balmore Guest House to anyone. A 4.6 is over rating in my view. Car parking is limited to 4 spaces out front. Would be better to say limited or no parking available given there are many rooms.

Walking distance to main Edinburgh attractions. Breakfast is good. Good WIFI connection.

No happy with the service, no reliable. No coming back
    • Double Room Ensuite

The sink of the shower was blocked and the water accumulated on the plate. When at the check out I asked for an receipt/Invoice I was told I would have to wait to 11 am when their offices opened. I had to work so I could not stay and I was told that it would be emailed to me. That did not happended, and despite I had been repeatedly trying to contact them it has been impossible. Really disappointing to the luck of willing to help of the staff and the luck of attention. Not coming back

Location is good. Room was clean.

A peaceful stay away from the city centre.
    • Double Room with Private External Bathroom

The beds were very soft and one made so much noise when you'd turn over or move at all. Every time the toilet flushed it sounded awful. I'm not sure what it was. The sink was the same way, if you turned on the hot water. No face clothes were provided.

The staff was pleasant and the breakfast was amazing! Loved the coffee! It was away from the city centre, so it was very quiet at night.

• Reviewed: 1 September 2018

Creepy experience ever
    • Double Room with Private External Bathroom

Bed bugs, we slept in our car, bitten by the bugs and you still charge us the breakfast ??!! Unbelievable... unacceptable.. I am awaiting a commercial gesture (geste commercial)

• Reviewed: 1 September 2018

Large room
    • Double Room Ensuite

Short breakfast time. Most staff spoke little or no English and seemed to be grumpy and offended if you tried to speak to them in English. I missed the breakfast time by a few minutes one time and the manager seemed to take great pleasure in telling me I was too late while he stuffed his own face.

Large room

• Reviewed: 31 August 2018

Nice lodging, would stay again.
    • Double Room Ensuite

The lodging itself was fine, our dislike was with the noise from other guests in nearby rooms. They were not quiet in the hallway, it wasn't constant but was definitely distracting and woke us.

We stayed across from the main lodging in one of the guest houses which appeared to be a classic Victorian townhome which we appreciated. The building was fine and room was comfortable, it was away from the city noise but close enough for an easy walk even with some rain. We had plenty of everything, staff was easy to work with and very pleasant. Breakfast was good and there were plenty of choices. Staff members were pleasant and easy to work with.

• Double Room with Private External Bathroom

Food served at breakfast was cold. Fire alarm ringing at 6am. Staff did not attend. Unable to contact staff by phone or by banging on the door of Balmore guest house. We were NOT in Balmore. We had a room in another property further down the street.

Disappointing welcome. Accommodation, service and breakasts barely merit 3 stars.
    • Double Room with Private External Bathroom

Poor welcome. Situated in second house away from main building. Cramped separate shower room where washbasin plug was missing. TV remote control faulty.

staff were quite pleasant

Don't go there!
    • Double Room Ensuite

Rude staff, total lack of Customer Service. One of the most unwelcoming B&B we have ever stayed in. Horrible vibe.

Cooked breakfast was okay. Room was okay and clean.

The staff was helpful and agreed to keep our luggage for the...
    • Quadruple Room

We were assigned the wrong room and had to go back to change our keys. We were initially given only 2 towels although we were 4 guests so we had to go back and ask for 2 more. One bed was broken.

The staff was helpful and agreed to keep our luggage for the day after the check out.

Short stay in Edinburgh
    • Twin Room en suite

I booked a double room and found the room to have both a double bed and a single bed, which made the room extremely cramped. It made it difficult to move around. The staff did not have very good English speaking skills. The water pressure was not very good. It was expensive for what it was, but I believe all the prices go up at this time of year.

The location was good and the breakfast was very good.

Little for more costs!
    • Double Room Ensuite

Staff don't give enough time to eat your cereal before bringing your cooked breakfast to the table you and up eating a different way around than normal. Bathroom too narrow banged head on bathroom cabinet when cleaning teeth or having a shave above the sink.

Comfortable bed

Very quiet and an easy walk to Old Town
    • Twin Room en suite

We had very little attention from staff after check in app art from breakfast. A 5:34AM fire alert in the Benmore house was not attended to by anyone before it ceased at 6:00AM, a lot of sleepy people not made aware of evacuation procedure apart from in English only sign on the back of the door. Very light toast was bought to the table before we finished our cereal and so was cold before we could eat it. Coffee and tea was not hot. Could be better.

Beds were comfortable. Breakfast was very tasty with plenty of fruit & cereal, (with exceptions mentioned below), to go with the full cooked breakfast that was ordered at check in and each morning after breakfast. This is a quiet area and an easy walk to town about 20 minutes of which we did a few times during our stay.

For the price we were disappointed.

The bathroom was very small. The shower did not drain very well and almost flooded. We advised staff but nothing happened and no follow up response. There was only had one key for our room but there were 3 of us which was very inconvenient. Staff were not very friendly.

The location was great.

• Reviewed: 25 August 2018

Horrible
    • Double Room Ensuite

The room was a matchbox size. The floors not swept, bugs under the bed. Dreadful, thing ratty towels. I would not recommend anyone staying there. Nightmare situation! Horrible. Just horrible. Ratty old mattress, linens! Do not stay there!

• Reviewed: 24 August 2018

Clean, friendly, warm and 15 mins from Castle 🏰
    • Twin Room en suite

Overall, a great room in a great city. Only had 4 milk portions which is not great for 2 people (2 each drink) but we asked for more which wasnt a problem. Other guests were quite noisey banging doors, but that is not the proprietors fault. Maybe soft close door would an option?would have like a mirror in the bedroom, only one in bathroom x

Location was about 15 mins from the castle, room was comfortable, beds were great, shower was fantastic. Staff very friendly and great breakfast. Option for left luggage was very appreciated - thank you x

Not very good
    • Twin Room en suite

Beds could have been better. Breakfast hotter.

The beds were uncomfortable. Worse bed I have slept in. The breakfast was only warm. Must have been already cooked well before we got for breakfast. Long walk to the nearest restaurant. If you get a taxi from the station it will cost you 9 pounds. Sorry would not book here again

Extremely expensive with the extra that had to be paid for arrival after 9. Won't ever stay again.

Travellers be warned! If you arrive at the hotel after 21:00, they will charge you £10.00 an hour, for every hour past 21:00 until you check in! (So if you are on business and your meeting overruns, or your travel is delayed, beware!)

great location
    • Double Room Ensuite

seen a staff member once when we was given the keys, no mention if we could have a drink or meal at the hotel , just shown to our room and coffee factility avail, room basic not worth £180.00 for the night, best thing about this is the location

Passable for the short two night stay , but I wouldn't recomend it for the price .
    • Twin Room en suite

The beds was very uncomfortable and the wet room floor was like a paddling pool when you had ashower.

For to expensive for the quality of bedroom / bathroom.

Close to the center

Small room without possibility to ventilation overnight.Tiny bathroom, no light in the lamp above the mirror, no planchet ,very noisy ventilator. Breakfast could be better .

Close to the center

Don’t stay here
    • Twin Room en suite

Tried to contact propery prior to stay, not possible to contact via phone and no response to my email. Payment was taken a full two weeks prior to stay. First room we were checked into was very dirty: the toilet seat was pretty vile and fell off, the duvet was very old and grubby and the towels were stained prior to use. The room we were moved into was better, however a good clean would have removed hairs in the bed as well as the bathroom. Theone breakfast we had included barely cooked bacon, cold beans, one spoonful of scrambled eggs and a mouldy tomato. Not to be recommended.

Fairly centrally located

Property tired looking.
    • Double Room Ensuite

Property tired looking. We had a very soft mattress and low bed plus the fitted sheet was always coming undone and revealing a marked mattress!! All together we felt that although location good and the staff were friendly enough the overall condition of hotel was not what we would want to use again.

We were comfortable and the location is great.
    • Double Room Ensuite

The size of the room and no dairy alternatives.

The location was great. Room and ensiute very small for the price. The property was comfortable and catered for our requirements.

Met all our needs for an overnight stay in Old Town Edinburgh.
    • Twin Room en suite

It felt like we were roomed in a former hallway, as two beds were crammed into a very small room. The impression was we were staying at a business, not a home.

The people were very friendly and helpful, especially Alisha. We were within walking distance of everything we wanted to see and do.

• Twin Room en suite

Firstly, taking the full payment from my account before the agreed time. Secondly, the room was not clean. For example, there were hairs in the shower room and the towels looked like they had been cut in half. Also the bed linen was tired with the pillows yellow and stained under the pillow case. Our room was not in an annex, but across the road in a house. I would say this accommodation was a hostel not a guest house!

Only the location.

Not what is advertised
    • Twin Room en suite

I booked to stay at guest house not some other house down the street, it was called the annexe by the staff, for breakfast it is served in main building, it was pouring with rain on the morning we had breakfast so got wet, no where in description is this "annexe" mentioned. Our breakfast, which you order day before, was cold, not just tepid but cold, discovering this on first bite of food, I brought it to attention of staff who really couldn't care and the male who came to take our plates away didn't see me watch as he put his thumb into beans on one of our plates. I presume to confirm food was cold. About 3 mins later same plates returned that had been microwaved. We decided not to eat due to males thumb being in food and the fact that we wanted a" fresh cooked" breakfast not some reheated one. I went to pour tea and on turning over cup an ant ran out from it. We left.

• Reviewed: 18 August 2018

first room not good, second room much better.Breakfast warm/cold never complained
    • Double Room with Private External Bathroom

The first room was so tiny and the bed and mattress was the worse ever, we had to order our breakfast for the morning by filling out a form we didn’t realise u had to do this every night. The cooked breakfast was Luke warm to even cold.

Second room we stayed in much bigger and bed was comfy then the first room.

Definitely not a 4-star hotel - despite the signage!
    • Double Room Ensuite

Small, cramped room (really a single with a double bed), mouldy, smelly, poorly laid out bathroom, slow shower drainage (had to turn off tap mid shower to prevent flooding), wifi only available for 1 night of our stay, mattress cover was torn and too small for the bed (meaning that it continually rode up on top of the mattress), full English breakfast is ONLY possible if booked the night before, staff polite but not welcoming, hotel overpriced.

Off street parking, great location (only 10 - 15 mins walk to the centre).

Disappointed

The room was too small for 3 people ... the single bed made so much noise it sounded like it would collapse ... couldn't use the plug in the sink as there was no way to remove it and let the water out ... the room was stuffy as the window did not open ... the staff did not give any instructions on evacuation if there was a fire and there where no alarms seen or any appliances visible to put a fire out

The shower was good .... the breakfast was tasty

Location to the city
    • Double Room with Private External Bathroom

The room was small, bed mattress was only about 3 inches deep making the bed really hard to sleep on. Tea and coffee are provided, however the supply of milk depends on who services your room. The shower trap was blocked and drained away slowly, I was worried about flooding the ensuite every day. Toiletries were supplied but basic, the towels are worn, frayed and too small, however there is a hairdryer. Breakfast, that’s you order the day before is ok but nothing special and only on till 9am. So I know that Edinburgh on a budget during the fringe is difficult, but the four stars on the front of this guest house are a lie, I would struggle to give it three stars. I will not be staying again.

Location to the city Room was clean.

Not worth the money.

The rooms are small and are on 2nd and third floors without any lift. Inadequate car parking facility and it was full.We had to look for a car park and paid around GBP15 for parking overnight in a far away multistoried car park.

Poor vfm, but if in main hotel no doubt would have felt it wasn’t better value.
    • Twin Room en suite

Didn’t expect to be in a room over the road, they called an annex, no it’s a house on other side of street. Didn’t feel that secure as unmanned and the locks, indeed lock not working on the window. Felt more like a hostel but at hotel prices over the road.

Consistently clean room, staff friendly at breakfast.

The quadruple room was fabulous and the decoration was...
    • Quadruple Room

The included breakfast is just simple, but staffs were really friendly and try hard to serve every guest during peak time. You might not expect great breakfast here. And the main building where you check-in had no lift!!

The quadruple room was fabulous and the decoration was really great, it seems like you are in the Victorian era. Great experience!!

Not too great but not too bad
    • Double Room Ensuite

The staff didn't really speak to us at all, when we arrived we were told our room number and given keys, that was it. The room was fine apart from being on the third floor with no elevator. The bed was very uncomfortable and the toilet sounded like a fog horn every time it was flushed. I don't think it was great for the amount we spent on it.

The location was fantastic and easy to get to, we were about a 5 minute walk from all the shops and restaurants and only a 20 minute walk from Edinburgh Castle. The breakfast was nice. The room was okay and the shower was excellent.

The room comfortable
    • Double Room Ensuite

The bath room door would not close, at breakfast the table had not been set no side plates, knife or butter/jam. The toast had not been in toaster long enough , the tea & coffee was lukewarm and as for the cooked breakfast cold beans/bacon. The only hot thing was my wifes scramble egg. After paying extra for the breakfast we wish we gone elsewhere and better value.

The room comfortable

A total rip off
    • Double Room Ensuite

Cleanliness, curtains didn’t close by 12 inches, a 3/4 bed for 2 people, tv above and behind your head, really cramped shower & loo, chaotic breakfast arrangements ....

The hot water and free parking.

It was ok for one night
    • Double Room Ensuite

Our room looked out on the back garden, unfortunately the garden was in need of been tidied up, breakfast looked amazing,, until we started eating it everything was cold,, stone cold the beans were that cold it was like they’d just come out of the fridge, my other half asked them for it to be warmed up, it was placed in a microwave for about 20 seconds and was still cold, such a waste of food and the staffs time, the chief had cooked the food it looked fab but why cook it all in advance and serve it cold, it wasn’t just our food it was everyone’s food, a lot of full plates were left

It was ok for one night

• Double Room with Private External Bathroom

No mattress or pillow protectors Bathroom tiny No places to put things on surfaces No room to walk round bed This applied to room 37 Had to cross road for breakfast

• Reviewed: 10 August 2018

Thin walled guest house in good place
    • Double Room with Private External Bathroom

Room is small. Bathroom is outside the room. Breakfast is in another building. Walls are thin and you can hear neighbours.

Location is good, breakfast is ok.

Ok for 2 nights -prefer to stay somewhere more central in the future with higher standards.
    • Double Room Ensuite

Hotel needs maintenance in public areas and bedrooms. Room was small and had another bed in it which we didn't need so made movement in the room extra tight. Very steep stairs up to upper floors so not good if you have mobility problems. Staff did carry the bag up. Breakfast only for a short period and only until 9 am so seemed very hectic and staff appeared rushed. Cooked breakfast choices ok -3 cereal and 2 choices of tinned fruit (not refilled) as well as 3-4 juice choices. Basic white or brown toast offered. Not in walking distance of Castle etc and not a 4-star facility as Guest House advertises. Not really good value for money in the way the Guest House currently operates.

Staff were friendly and hotel serviced well by No 10 and 27 buses- can be caught down the road to Princes Street (No 10). Taxi costs from Royal Mile area are between £7- 10 depending on traffic. The cooked breakfast was nice. Can leave bags on check out day. Was limited free car parking at front of hotel -if booked in advanced (didn't need this though)

Wouldn't stay there again.
    • Double Room Ensuite

The bathroom looked clean but there was hair on the floor and in the toilet. The bedroom wasn't properly clean. Bed needed new mattress. Toilet refilled nosiely shower wasn't that good at all. The draining from sink and shower took along time. Towels old and frayed. Breakfast we had to tell them by 9pm what we wanted in the morning, how do you know what you want. The cutlery wasn't that clean went to have a glass of juice and the glass wasn't clean at all. The guy that manageed the property didn't have much time for the customer. We only had one breakfast we ate out the next day.

I like how close it was.

Definitely not a four star establishment, as shown on board outside building.
    • Twin Room en suite

Breakfast was pre cooked, cold, Had to be a midget to use bathroom. Couldn’t open/close door because of rail on back of door. Struggle up 20 steps with luggage to reach room. Room in separate building to main building.

• Reviewed: 8 August 2018

Rude argumentative staff
    • Double Room Ensuite

The staff were extremely rude! When explaining we had no hot water they said they would have a look 2 hours later we had heard nothing back from the staff we checked out and explained that we wasn’t happy that we couldn’t have a shower and that is a basic requirement from a hotel they told us they had someone working on it for the past 2 hours and these things happen! After going back to the room to check for hot water after check out time still no hot water, went to the hotel manager to tell him this to which he replied I’m not wasting anymore time with you. Keys! Rude! On another note, bedding was filthy and not rectified after a complaint. And room was very dusty!

Location was great.

There was an issue with drainage in the room which meant we couldn’t use the shower for more than 5mins before it neared overflow. The following morning we let the manager know. He just said ok. That night there was no change in the issue. Nobody let us know the following day if they had attempted to even fix it. We had seen the manager a number of times since we made him aware of the issue and he seemed to be acting like nothing happened. Breakfast was not of great quality and served only until 9am although the order system was clever. Check out time was very early in our opinion at 10am. Overall, not great value for money.

Location was great. Triple room was a decent size for 3 adults. Tea making facilities in the room.

A super location in Edinburgh, which is good value for money, but parking is an issue.
    • Single Room - En Suite

I arrived at the property tired after a very long drive. Reading the small print carefully, it did say 'parking is available nearby for £15' but arriving with nowhere to park, or even unload, at 5.45pm wasn't great and the man who met me at the property was not as helpful as he might have been. The person at the property offering parking for £15 was even less helpful, and it is not possible to pay there by card. In fact there is free evening on street parking opposite, and nearby, with various time restrictions, and it would have been good if the man who met me had been up to speed with these and prepared to share them with me. Fortunately, I had friends living about 15 minutes walk from the property and parking near their home.

The breakfast was good, with a buffet of cereal/juice/fruit then the standard cooked fare. The staff at breakfast were very attentive, polite and helpful. The room was fine, with a comfortable bed and standard bathroom/shower.

• Double Room Ensuite

Noise. Size of the room and bathroom. Rigid rules of the accommodation regarding check in and check out times. Preordering breakfast and rigid breakfast times.

The location.
    • Double Room Ensuite

We were charged £190 for 1 night, had we stayed next weekend it would have only been £126 despite the tattoo and festival still being on, that’s a huge difference, shame on you . The room was very tired, very small and uncomfortable, lots of repairs needed. Breakfast was terrible, tasteless and cheap. We definitely did not get what we paid for.

The location.

• Reviewed: 4 August 2018

I would not recommend
    • Double Room Ensuite

The reception and farewell from the manager could of been a lot better

The good points...Rooms tidied and beds and towels changed daily. The female staff were great in a rushed breakfast scenario. The shower was good to use The bed was comfy. Bad points...only one side of bed accessible...frosted glass in toilet door, people in and out of loud closing porch and front door, cabinet over sink in way when cleaning teeth..no access to unkept garden...

Edinburgh Expectations
    • Double Room Ensuite

When booking they don't tell you that you will be staying in a annexe across the road. You had to order breakfast the day before so if you decided you wanted something else you couldn't change your mind Really not worth the 200 pound we paid for 2 nights Would try and find an alternative before booking here again

Close to all amenities

Overall it was good.
    • Twin Room en suite

I did not expect as small a room. I did not expect the money to leave my account IN FULL days before we arrived. That was not the process explained by Booking.com. When we arrived we found that we were in an annexe building fifty yards down the road. This meant we had to walk to breakfast. There was no porridge or marmalade - astonishing for a Scottish B and B - but then no-one there in charge was Scottish.

Overall it was good.

Very disappointed
    • Double Room Ensuite

Had to pay 20 pounds to park my motorcycle because it wasn’t safe breakfast wasn’t cooked properly tv in the room was in a unwatchable place was not a 4 star more like 2

• Reviewed: 28 July 2018

Accommodation was ok, clean and tidy, staff could have been more welcoming and friendly.
    • Double Room with Private External Bathroom

As requested on arrival we submitted our breakfast choice the night before but was presented in the morning with a new blank breakfast sheet with the choice we selected scored out, we reselected and they came with something totally different, we explained how we hadn't ordered that and they went off and came back insisting that's what we ordered, when we hadn't, I explained to the girl that we originally ordered the previous night eventually after a considerable time they came with what we originally ordered the night before. Problem resolved!

• Reviewed: 27 July 2018

Good breakfast, good location, tiny bathroom.
    • Large Family Room

The bathroom was tiny! The room was a good size but the bathroom was hard to maneuver in.

The location is good. Lots of shops and food nearby and a quick bus ride into the city center.

I will evaluate other hotels before choosing it again

we were waiting for breakfast because there were no free tables. Also they did not indicate that there was also the buffet in the other room. We discovered it by seeing other customers get up and come back with glasses of fruit juice in their hands

clean bathroom and double towel per person (we were 3)

The little house (contrary) on the prairie !at the top of the (stair'y).

The boss!very pompous and arrogant.The (crows nest)up the top of the building a hike and a half for an old couple like us.The wet room like a swimming pool ,the water would not drain away.A foul smell was constantly present if the door was left unventilated and closed.Which was reported too the manager but brushed aside as would be fixed when maintainable people attended.A note was also left by us reinforcing o our request during our stay.The food was not very enjoyable,the table was not set with side plates ,or warm,you could not have your food choice without great difficulty.The parking facilities were hopeless! The manager was rude.Our room was like a shoebox you could not swing a cat in it.Fawlty Towers the second! Considering the cost for two nights accommodation approximately £1350 I would certainly not recommend !!! .

The girl staff were very attentive,run off their feet and very pleasant ,making the best of a bad job.

Browse Balmore Guest House traveller photo gallery