Reviews of Banks Hotel 2 stars

5.7

6.2

• Reviewed: 10 October 2018

Disappointed

The floor wasn't clean, there was a smell in the bathroom, the room key wasn't activated for the 2nd nights stay and we had to ask 3 times for them to look at our TV as it wasn't working, one guy we spoke to twice after he said he'd be 5 mins we found he was sitting at the front desk an hour later and said he'd look in a minute when we were heading out so he asked permission to enter the room while we were out and he still didn't bother so we had to ask another member of staff who resolved the issue.

• Reviewed: 8 October 2018

It could be better for the price

There was a lot of noise around and on top of our room, it was difficult to sleep and relax. The breakfast service finished too early for a Sunday morning, specially for a sleepless night.

The room was good, clean and comfortable

• Reviewed: 26 September 2018

It was very grubby.

It was very grubby. Toilet wobbled. Shower screen hung off. Pipes exposed. Electric sockets kept powering off. TV didn’t work. Stains on cushions and room numbering was just bizarre. Would never stay here again.

• Reviewed: 22 September 2018

never comeback and never recommended

nothing at all room is disaster shower broke sink is blocked n cleaning is not done proper i got all pictures m definitely going to complain to council for sure they charge £110 for 2 rooms n its no problem but they should give custoer a nice room fo good sleep.....

• Reviewed: 21 September 2018

Not recommended

First staff was not professional. There are bed bugs insect in beds and it's heart me. When I complain on reception, they told me that they have only one option to call pest control to treat your room.i request them to change my room but they promise me that they will change next day but they didn't.

Nothing. Uncomfortable beds and envirement.

• Reviewed: 20 September 2018

Unhappy

I didn't like anything everything was bad

I didn't like anything about the hotel the stuff was so rude also the room was dirty and sink was blocked.

• Reviewed: 20 September 2018

So bad I checked out in middle of the night.

Bed and beddings, Carpet, Shower room and windows with mould, curtains don't match, and above all Smell of smoke and dampness all around.

Location is close to Ilford town centre and North Circular.

Nothing really
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Didn’t like the location, or the lay out of the rooms, showers in the room but no toilets in the room which was a hassle. Rooms always smelt like smoke as if someone had been smoking in the room

Nothing really

• Reviewed: 1 September 2018

Rubish

Everything about the Hotle was very unprofessional and breakfast was same every morning not happy at all

Water leaking from the radiator carpet wet the whole room couldn’t change the room till morning, changed the room morning second room same smell of mould carpet very dirty second room too shower dirty too mouldy waste of money may ask for refund the whole stay too

Beds comfy room its self bit small n nt clean
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

No towel rails 2 keep DAMP towel off the floor very dusty on bed cabinets on the shower base brown marks on it, only bit tht looked clean was the bathroom tiles on the floor, jus wasnt happy yes i got a goid deal but would of been nice to come in2 a clean room

Beds were comfy

Not a lot tbh

All of it,the room was dirty,the shower in the room was on bt the one in the public toilet was disgusting,the shower head didnt stay up or even have a clip to hold it up,the toilet stunk i had to hold my breath to use it as wasnt one in room,the towel was broken and it was on the floor.in my room 22 had no rail to hang clothes in wardrobe which was so wobbly it nearly broke,the fire alarm has a black bag over it when we entered the room,the floor boards are so squeaky everywhere that its so loud in the mornings,my friends room was no better.the breakfast was completely disgusting,the staff are lovely bt dont have a clue,when i asked about the smell in loo,they said it always smells which is so unprofessional.only thing that i liked was the bed....

Not a lot tbh

The rooms were basic but very clean.

The shower preasure was low with little hot water. There was only a bar of soap, no body wash or shampoo.

The rooms were basic but very clean. Staff was friendly and answer all my questions.

Damp infested hotel worse than a third world country...STAY Away
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The Receptionist were inappropriately rude for no reason upon checking in. When I arrived in the room it smelt damp and the curtain was hanging off. You can tell the carpet is really really old and I wouldn't walk bare feet. I would not recommend this any one with children stay there either as they would be open to infection. They are always very reluctant at this Hotel to change your room when you find all the things wrong with it. When you ask to speak to management they ask you to put in writing and act like they do not have a care in the world. Overpriced better off getting an apartment.

Absolutely nothing....I Liked the thought of going to Holiday Inn as their prices match the quality of their hotel.

The location is perfect, it's jus 5 minutes from the...

I couldn't open the windown one day as there was a lorry outside and was next to the window.

The location is perfect, it's jus 5 minutes from the train station and there is a beautiful park just next to the hotel.

• Reviewed: 11 August 2018

Avoid unless you are desperate!
    • Family Room

Breakfast, cold and greasy No welcome Little interaction Took money for bill without speaking to me and I had to go back and ask for reciept Room was damp and dirty in places and bathroom stank like a sewer

Not very good

The first room had a broken sewer so it smell terrible. The second had a shower with a broken door and it only ran COLD water. The tapistry was covered in stains and the sink had an open chifon. The girl at the counter was not very willing to show any feelings of responsability other than for giving us the second room. Wich also sucked...... a very louzy hotel, bad breakfast and bad service......

Ilford is alright and not to far from the city

Good.great for one night stay
    • Family Room

We booked a family room for 3 children and 2 adults there were only 2 single beds and 1 double so my two youngest had to share a bed. Very rude guest at breakfast was very loud and rude to the waitress.Not nice to hear especially in front of my children. (Ovbs the hotel can't pick the guests but if I was the manager I would of asked him to leave)

Lovely breakfast Room and bathroom clean Clean bedding and towels Room was smart Good value for money

Do not stay here!!

False advertisement. Rooms look nothing like the photos. Rat and mice poison in the rooms. Staff are rude. We didnt even bother to stay the night it was filthy. 30mins in there was enough for us

The hotel is cheap for London and good value for the location. i would stay again.
    • Family Room

The room was small, We stayed for 14 days and the hotel did not change the bed linen during that time and only changed the towels. There was 5 of us staying in the room and we booked a room with two double beds and one single, but the room had only one double bed and 2 singles. we had to ask for an extra towel everyday.

The location is good for visiting London, it is a 5 mins walk to Ilford station that is only 4 stops to liverpool street station in central london. And a 7 day london transport train and bass pass is £45. The staff are very helpfull and the breakfast was ok.

Cheap, but a bit run down and SO noisy.

The carpet in my room looked like a nightclub floor. The tiles on the bathroom floor moved when I stepped on them. in the room next to mine their was a family whose young kids were yelling and screaming until gone 11pm and because the room was so stuffy, I had no option but to have my window open (theirs was open too) and the noise was ridiculous at times.

It is cheap and not very cheerful, but I paid £55 for the night so wasn't expecting much. Reception staff that I dealt with were very helpful if not the most friendly in the world. I stayed here for one night prior to the RideLondon bike event so location was great for me.

Would never stay here again, needs to be shut down!

Everything!

There's nothing to like about this hotel, would like half my money back as I thought it's not worth the price that we paid. Tried to contact the manager of hotel but he is difficult to locate.

Convenient location but very basic facilities

Did not make it clear room would be up on narrow stairs. No help offered to carry stuff. No fan or any air conditioning in such hot weather. Had to leave window open - lots of noise and smells from cooking coming in. Still felt stuffy. Not enough power sockets or convenient location of these. Had to find connection for kettle and bedside table lamp. Bedside table lamp not working. Bed linen and pillows smelt musky and not fresh. Basic breakfast with no options for vegetarians available.

Car park facilities and reasonably clean room

Banks hotel - not too impressed

The service was bad, cold water didn't work, cleaners banging on the door even though we hadn't checked out, leak in dealing on the bed, loud noises from upstairs neighbours, no ventilation, only 1 small window.

Reception stayed really calm despite us getting angry about the bad service. Room service, when invited, did a really nice job with cleaning the sheets and they were hospitable about supplying complimentary towels.

Comfortable, easy access to major other places
    • Family Room

The smell of people smoking through my window at the car park was quite irritating as I am pregnant. The receptionists were quite unfriendly. A little bit of renovation will be nice

The location is really nice and the staffs in the kitchen are very polite. The receptionist that checked me in on the 13th was really nice and quick. She also gave us a room close enough to my sister's

Good, but I did not enjoyed it. Location was great if you are not driving.
    • Family Room

The receptionist doesn't seems to like her job, she is not friendly at all. My children are scared to approach her. The shower in my room, room 7 to be precise is not good I complained but no action was taken. The room itself was too hot for me I was sweating really bad. Thanks

My children enjoyed the breakfast, the bed was alright and neatly spread.

Not great. the room was so small that getting ready for 2small people was a task.Really inconvenient

The room was so tiny, you literally fall into the bed when you walk into the room. There were no shelves or a wardrobe so in the 50cm width around the bed had to be used to lay our stuff down. Also there were not enough sockets in the room, the bed head was broken, pillows were really flat, no hand towel provided. The room was really outdated and not refurbished- the paint was coming off, window handle broken, bed had broken parts, as well as the sink. Plus had staff talking really loudly outside the window and in the corridor.

TV.

Would not stop again

The rooms were untidy and smelled + the shower was poor and always blocked+ could not sleep due to constant crying of kids and noisy neighbours, it’s suppose to be an hotel not social housing

The Car park

YEUK!

Noise, especially the bathroom fan, which took an age to switch off. Smell of the room musty and unpleasant. Not enough room to literally swing anything, getting in and out of the bathroom was an art in itself. If you were unlucky to sleep on the wall side of the bed, it was impossible to get out without waking your partner.

Reasonable breakfast though have to admit that I do not particularly like buffet type English breakfast

Most disgusting place I've ever been to in every sense. Breakfast shocking!

Everything except the staff. Filthy room, nothing in the bathroom worked!

Nothing but the staff. Got extra pillows and a towel, even though we were checked into the wrong room, lady was apologetic and helpful.

Rubbish... Awful breakfast..
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Too noisy.. the couple above us was having sex which interrupting our evening.. I was hoping to have a peaceful night as I had exams the following day. However couldn't concentrate and shall not return again. Poor experience

Not great.. won't be returning back

Family room Banks Hotel Review
    • Family Room

Shower was broken. Hotel room floor was nasty -new carpet needed Ceiling leaks if someone is using the shower above you Same breakfast everyday Renovate rooms

It suits your basic needs. Location is perfect - access to buses and trains to the city. Free WiFi Free Parking

I am disappointed

Day staff is very rude. I had no feeling of staying in hotel after paying alot. No cleanliness at all. The lady who comes for cleaning room is keeping milk and tea or cofee with bathroom cleaning equipment in a same try. I have wasted my money

I didn’t like anything

The staff were very kind and helpful and gentle and the room...

The room had a very bad smell so I had to spend my own money to buy spray for the room it was unbearable and the bed was also broken

The staff were very kind and helpful and gentle and the room was clean

The staff were okay and apologetic.

The room we stayed in was tiny, my office at work is bigger. The bed was SOAKED so we had to sleep on top of it. Our room was also next to the entrance to the car park meaning every person / car that walked in and out we heard. Literally around 3 hours sleep the whole night. Parking is VERY limited and it took 40 minutes for us to park. We were already behind schedule and this made us later for an event. The location of the hotel is secluded which means most taxi cabs won’t take you there or will charge ridiculous amounts (£30+) to take you there (even though we were only 5 mile away). Overall not a good experience.

The staff were okay and apologetic.

Careful!!

N/A, after first night my car was blocked in in the car park by a big van, will attach pics later, I had to be at an event in Manchester and set-off 6am, finding I was blocked in I made reception aware to which the answer "well these are all work men, they'll be down for breakfast soon"!!?? Owner of the van couldn't be traced,.. So no parking control! 2nd night of my stay after returning from event in Manchester water came through the ceiling, to be exact through the LIGHT FIXTURES FROM THE CEILING. I went to reception again,.. attendee who viewed the water coming through the fixtures apologised and suggested "why don't I just move my bed"...... Yes she actually suggested this. So in short, hazardous condition to stay in, inept staff and I was left no other alternative but to find alternative lodging,.. After 320mls in the car and a 2 day event.!! Foto's and video available on request

Disgusting

Awful location, very rough area. Rooms tiny and dirty, curtains hanging off. Communal toilet and shower which was filthy, toilet covered in sick and faeces.

Owner needs to spend some money on this place

First room had no wardrobe so moved room after 1 night 2nd room had water leaking in from above then surface water in bathroom Downstairs room with lots of noise from above - 2 sleepless nights

Staff helpful with the problems encountered

Comfy stay.

Electric socket next to TV was not working and the other socket was for the TV. There were only two and one was not working and had not been fixed. Window handle needed to get fixed as well.

It was clean. Clean sheets, clean tea boiler, and clean room. Good breakfast and comfy.

A cheap, convenient stay- rodent issues and lack of staff.
    • Family Room

The hotel does have a rodent problem, initially after spotting the visible rat poison boxes in the bedrooms we all went into panic. We spoke with the receptionist who explained they have to be put throughout the hotel as they have had previous problems with rats and mice due to a park being nearby. She explained no visible sightings have been seen for a while- the boxes were there to prevent further problems. We were going to leave the hotel as we were all so scared and uncomfortable. We ended up going down to the local shop and buying a load of cleaning products and gave the room and bathroom a really good clean to prevent any rats and mice from coming in. We also didn’t bring any food into the room as we thought this might tempt them in. We ended up having to masking tape the curtains to the wall on a night as they did not cover the whole windows and being on the ground floor we all felt uncomfortable as passers by were looking in and attempting to speak to us. On the second day of our third night stay the shower stopped working so we had to wash out of the sink, which wasn’t the best. We reported the problem 3 times and no maintenance workers came to investigate the issue. The receptionist explained it’s probably because loads of people were in the shower at the same time- we tried the shower function across two hours and had no luck. We used the shower extra early on the morning of our departure and it appeared to to be working again- which we were all delighted about!

We booked this hotel as it was cheap and convenient- we were not going to be spending much time there, just wanted somewhere to sleep at night nearby to the festival we were attending. There was one particular staff member who took on every roll in her stride.. she was helpful and remained calm when dealing with challenging situations. Our windows wouldn’t shut and being on the ground floor of the hotel we felt uncomfortable leaving them open when we were out of the hotel. The kind receptionist assisted us to find a solution as no maintenance workers were around.

Overnight Festival Stay

Stairs very narrow, parking spaces for disabled limited in Number, lack of toiletries, towels small, no shower mat, stuffy room

Spacious room, comfy bed, located near high street

Never agIn
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The room was next to the dinning room so we were woken up at 6:30 am and we could not have the curtains open as people could look in. The sink was blocked and when we told reception they said they would fix it but didn't xx

Worst hotel to choose for a family stay. Moaning noise all the time. Never go there with Children.
    • Family Room

The logo of the hotel says "Good Night Sleep". But we could not sleep at all. There was a screaming noise (moan) of a lady in the room above us every now and then. It was quite embarrassing staying in the room with small children.

Disappointed

Staff were rude will try to charge to £20 for early check in of half an hour early.. no sound-proofing.. no air conditioning windows wont open and asked them for a fan if they have any they said they dont.. wont profer for summer holidays...

have free parking available

never book with this place again. none of the booking or facillities were as advertised

staff member at reception was not helpful or offered any alternative responses to questions asked. other staff member at check in was a lady that was pleasant

Conformtable, good food, good for family stay

Parking... had no parking for one night out of the three nights we stayed.

Food, comfort of the beds, had an ensuite. Perfect for the children as if they needed to go toilet I was able to see them go toilet in our room. Whereas last year we didn’t have that privilege

Incredibly disappointing - Worst Place Ever

Absolutely no Heat n Room. Freezing cold Breeze from Window. Limited availability of soap, tea, milk. Bed uncomfortable. Breakfast lousy. Noisy - patrons banging doors all night. Only one pillow per person. Everything in bathroom falling apart. Would need a tetanus shot just looking at floor. Got bites in bed - believe they have bed bugs.

Staff nice.

good value for the money

Only 1 hanger in wardrobe - this has happened before

Helpful receptionist on booking in - changed my room for me Location - 10 min walk to Ilford rail Good value for money Efficient shower (for steaming shirts)

Ok

Staff

Room smelled of cigarettes and bathroom smelled very badly. Breakfast was not very nice. As mash rooms boiled and scrambled eggs like from a powder. Staff was very nice.

Worst hotel EVER...do not stay here!

The hotel has a serious rodent problem. To the point the leave rat traps all around the room Inc next to the BED!!!! No warning about this either!!! Impossible to make a complaint as reception staff gave no authority. I filled out the required complaints paperwork an have been completely ignored!!! This hotel may be cheap but is not worth the money. Apart from the rats, it's stinks, some rooms have no electricity, no water in certain rooms, broken licks on Windows so very unsafe! Pillows are litterlly paper thin an they have no spares! Leftover rubbish from other guests in room.

Worst hotel I have ever stayed in. Nothing good to say about it!

WE SAW A MOUSE IN OUR HOTEL ROOM!

WE FOUND A MOUSE IN OUR ROOM.A MOUSE crowling on the floor.I coudn't believe what i saw.When i went to talk to the personal,they said it's NORMAL and that happened before.They also have rat poison and rat traps in the room(the proof they knew about the problems).They looked at us with no surprise on their faces,even telling us it's nothing new there.The walls also had MOULD on them and holes made by the rats/mice.The sheets were VERY DIRTY,same as the floor.DON'T GO THERE,it's a HELLHOLE!

NOTHING,DIRTIEST HOTEL BY MILES

I night

My room was next to the dining room and reception I never slept that night due to noise, my bathroom fan was faulty/ noisy even after turning it off it wouldn’t go off. I feel cheated and even feel I should get a full refund of my money. I was in room number 2.

No words to describe our stay .👎👎👎

The room was very untidy with a very unpleasant smell coming from the bathroom .there was a lot of staining on the walls of the bedroom .

Not much as we didn't stay in the hotel at all .

Great hotel if your looking for a cheap budget place to stay after a night out
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Hotel security ?? Cleaner mattress, came away more tired then when I went in.

It was ok for what we paid, reception staff was very friendly and a easy check in.. the room was just a shame the carpet had lots of cigarette burns in it. I pulled back the bed sheet and the mattress was awful, very stained and dirty! It could of at least had a protector on ! Besides that it's one of those hotels 'you get what you pay for' the really down side was one of the guests having a party from 3:30am till 5am ! The music was very load! There was a lot of shouting and arguing I didn't feel comfortable reporting the loud music so just stayed awake most of the night! When we returned on the night back to our room the smell of cannabis hit you straight away god knows how the staff didn't smell it to! Breakfast was ok, not a lot of choice apart from cereal or a fry up.. but then it's a very low budget hotel. I wouldn't recommend this hotel if you were a couple, but for friends who are on a night out.. I wouldn't take children here to.

Nothing good to tell honestly

The rooms have a bad cigarette smell, the windows and window ceils haven't been cleaned in months and at night the hotel smells of sewage, breakfast is terrible, there's only one iron and board for the whole hotel,rats running around the rooms the list is endless.

Location is the only good thing about the hotel.

Poor

Unprofessional staff both in the reception and restaurant. The heating in the building was awful and quite smelly. Overall the cleanliness was really poor. The restaurant service or more like the lack of service is astonishing.

Location was adequate but the rest was a very poor experience.

Horrendous

Being woken up at 6:30 because of kitchen staff Kids running up and down the landing at silly times Tv not working People shouting Non smoking room but right next to the smoking area.

Had a lot of problems sent them and email and they still have responded nearly a week later.

Mouse issues! Don’t book!

Staff never have a smile on their face. The picture they advertise on booking.com is not how the rooms are. They stick a double bed in a single room, no space to walk. After arguing they gave us a fairly walkable room. WiFi was so bad! And there was a mousetrap in the room!!!!!! Clearly they have pest issues, which I don’t doubt the mouse going into the kitchen. So filthy.

The price that’s is it.

Look out for the short haired European Lady!

My room had a leak by the window and I could smell smoke in the room, when i tried to extend my stay the lady in charge took my money and called it a "Late Checkout fee" and then had the nerve to blacklist me for trying to understand why she took my money. When checked in the next day with a member of staff I was familiar with I was told that she blacklisted me for selling drugs. LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

6.0
    Turn Down The Heating !!

Cannot turn off / turn down radiators in the room Heating controlled by reception and left on all day and night -too uncomfortable (turned off on Wednesday but turned back on by night manager)

Location - close to Ilford train and Gants Hill tube Decent room for the money but spoilt by the excessive heat

it was great and perfect i hope it never changes and the staff were great

the only thing that was a bit off putting was there was an awful smell in the hall way but other than that all was good

every thing was great the service was polite and the rooms were perfect all was great

Stay was good but helpfulness off staff was dog s#%t

Room 6 was under the stairs every time some one came in u head every footstep and then in the morning as well also only one plug socket in the room

The bed was cumfy Room was warm

Disappointed

Reception staff wasn't very helpful up in till 11pm. Staff after that was very accommodating. I was promised and booked a room but on arrival denied that room.

Value

Disgusting no other words have photos and video but can’t upload pictures for some reason

The place needs closing down and cleaning and refurbished, toilet hanging off shower door didn’t close shower leaked bathroom was filthy . Bedroom was patched up holes in wall sockets loose lights hanging down iron burns on carpet dirty windows , hair in beds dirty underwear left in draw .men walking round in boxer shorts . I did try to find somewhere else but couldn’t get anything this will be going on trip advisor and for a chain of hotels Dani’s is awful

Depressing

Lighting was too dim, one light bulb had gone out, the wall paper had been chipped off and the room had smelt bad. The layout was not the best as everything seemed to be put in a position for the sake of it. Had no spoons in bedroom for the tea.

Clean

The room was a good size and very tidy, also the heating was...

The radiator in my room was right up against my bed, the heat was great but made sleep a little uncomfortable

The room was a good size and very tidy, also the heating was on so it was nice and cozy, the staff are very friendly and accommodating and the breakfast provides exactly for what you need to help through a busy morning, surprised its only two stages tbh

was in room 2 which was next to reception.

a family with a young child screaming and laughing loudly past 11pm in reception area for a good 15 minutes. should have been told by staff to be quiet. idiots

was in room 2 which was next to reception. could hear everything. very noisy. shame because i've stayed before and no trouble at all. unlucky this time I guess.

Stay far away
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Everything it was a death trap.

Nothing. It was absolutely awful. The bathroom was disgusting. My wife almost threw up at the state of it. I cancelled one night coz I could not spend another day there.

Overrated

Only 1 plug socket in the room which was awkward to get to,room was to hot and heating couldn't be adjusted,and bed was rock hard and uncomfortable

Hotel car parking

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Worst hotel I've stayed in. No remote for tv. Dirty towels and the window did not lead to outside but to a dining area so the stuffy room couldn't be aired out. I would not recommend

The location was good.

I had booked a room with a private bathroom. And both days I tried to have a shower the hot water wasn’t working. Then requested to be moved to another room with hot water and they said no. In the end my boyfriend and i ended up having to use the shared bathroom facility. Breakfast was pretty basic. No phone in the rooms either so if you need reception you have to go downstairs

The location was good. Very nice and close to Ilford station

Absolutely loved it! Fantastic helpful intelligent staff on Reception and nice decent backroom folks

Have no complaints whatsoever. Yes, the hotel is favoured by contractors, who can be noisy first thing in the morning. But this didn't bother me.

My second visit either side of Xmas. Lovely Reception staff and very nice and friendly staff. My favourite room -- very clean and comfortable. Decent TV and good free wi-fi. Very good full English breakfast in decent room with TV. Fantastic low prices!

Turn Down The Heating !!

Heating on high all night. Couldn't turn it off / down Told it couldn't be turned down centrally (?) Room key didn't work at all Lock mechanism faulty Mega uncomfortable 4 nights' poor sleep

Close to public transport (Ilford rail / Gants Hill) Room itself and bathroom ok for the money

Generally poor

however conditions Very poor. large tear (reported)in carpet. Very small room. Sub standard wiring. toilet seat not fastened correctly (reported not fixed) other residents using smoking/drugs (reported strong smell of drugs/smoking, staff asked them to leave)

Staff helpful. extra towels and pillows upon request.

Long wait at reception to book in and carry bags upstairs to room and meagre breakfast choice

No lampshade , sink in room not bathroom with inaccessible shower restricted by door ,noisy guests and no lift. Room locked me out at breakfast , 3 trips to reception to resolve so late for work.

Bed was comfortable and hairdryer in room.

Served my needs

Value for money as a one night stay

Staff friendly.room / bathroom clean and tidy only a bit tired but it is only a 2 star and I only stayed one night .Breakfast basic but adequate .