Reviews of Barn Hotel 3 stars

West End Road, Ruislip, HA4 6JB, United Kingdom

#1 of 3 hotels in Ruislip

white noise in my bedroom all ,musty smell in my mums room. carpets and upholstery in bar/lounge and corridors seen better days. felt like the place needed a makeover.

helpful receptionist, nice grounds-not too nosy even though near main road. clean rooms and generally helpful staff

A hotel that was both quirky and sumptuous. Some of the buildings went back centuries. Located around the corner from Ruislip High St and concealed just behind the local railway station The Barn is probably the best thing about Ruislip. Good bar meals too.

My room was very small with an inadequate shower. Grubby walls and not very pleasant for the price I paid. Had to ask to change rooms. Much bigger and better room with a great bathroom.. but why did I not get a room like this in the first place? Tried to get a drink at bar when we returned from our wedding party. Staff very rude and unaccommodating. I’m afraid I would not stay here again.

Location good. New build rooms and suites were amazing as our bridal party used this facility

• Standard Single Room

I can't fault the hotel or the staff. The only negative is that the driveway into the hotel looks a bit shabby and gives a negative first impression. However I suspect that the fence belongs to neighbouring buildings and not to the hotel.

The staff at the Barn hotel are exceptional! They were welcoming and friendly, and accommodated every request in a professional manner. Outstanding! The rooms are located around beautiful gardens. The superior and executive rooms are fabulous.

• Executive Double Room

Only thing I disliked was sometimes the TVs weren’t working

The bed was comfortable, the overall designs of the rooms we stayed in were amazing, got inspiration from them and staff were so accommodating and polite

• Standard Twin Room

The pillows are uncomfortable, ants were coming in through the door as there was a massive gap at the top, a bit too expensive, the room was tiny

The entrance hall and the bar looks grand, staff very pleasant, grounds are pretty

Our room was in the original barn and did not lack in character! To stay in a room that was over 500 years old was a real treat. Breakfast was excellent and parking convenient. Staff were friendly and helpful. A short walk away from the tube and straight in to the city.

Not the hotel's fault, but the guests in the room above made a lot of noise with the doors in their room, and this was clearly heard in our room.

The staff were very helpful and pleasant. Our request for sandwiches and wine for a late supper on our arrival was attended to very efficiently, (we knew that we might be too late for the restaurant).

water tank noise above bedroom and parking difficult as wedding going on when we arrived

breakfast wasn't included in our room rate but at £10.50 each thought it was good value

Can't think of anything

The setting was brilliant and the staff extremely helpful. We liked the room and it had everything we needed. Free parking an added bonus.

Room very small more budget room than standard double. My husband and I are fairly small but there was not room to swing a mouse in the room. We could just about get into the mini bathroom and when the door was opened it hit me as I was getting ready at the only mirror.

Lovely building and restaurant. Breakfast good and staff very good.

Room bathroom and everything was terrible and the bed was not a double bed. This was a anniversary and birthday treat room was cramped smelt damp and although the hotel acknowledged the celebration their was no surprise other than the disappointment in the room!!!!

Check out the next day!

The room was tiny. We were woken before 7am on a Sunday morning by an extremely loud noise that persisted for 15 minutes. This turned out to be the pipes. Appeared to wake everyone in our corridor. Our toilet made a mooing noise when flushed. Rambling hotel and directions to our room were minimal so ended up asking a very helpful cleaner to show us which building we were in.

It looks pretty.

• Standard Single Room

Noisy drunks outside window until the early hours of the morning who kept me awake until 02:00 hrs, when I had an early start in the morning. Eventually I had to ring reception, who, to be fair, asked them to disperse.

Cleanliness.

We go to Ruislip as we have to be in the area. For people who like the area, the Barn hotel to us is the best place to stay. However, the area itself - to us - is not a place that is overly full of entertainment possibilities. Possibly when going out in London this hotel can be used as it is near an underground station. It will take 1.5 hours to go to the center of London.

When we arrived we got a room upgrade and the check in went smooth and fast. The restaurant is excellent for an evening meal and the breakfast we also consider excellent. The staff is very friendly and eager to assist when we need assistance. My wife and I like this hotel a lot and we will be back!

• Standard Twin Room

There was nothing I did not like about the barn, I have stayed at some hotels but this hotel is a must see, must stay again, love love love it.

Everything from the moment you enter the building , the staff and property welcome you with open arms wonderfull.

Not much really though the pillows were a little uncomfortable

The garden was kept beautiful and the surrounding area was very nice also the breakfast area was stunning

Upgraded room did not have any windows. Evening sunshine on 3rd and morning sunshine of 4th could not be enjoyed from the allocated room! Also continental breakfast not included in upgrade so IF we had stayed and paid for breakfast then not a lot of benefit cost wise from upgrade.

Upgrade however original booked room I believe would have been as good if not better!

Breakfast was not included in the booking price but would have been £10 per person. We took the short walk up the High Street and had a lovely breakfast for much less.

Parking was something of a problem. We like other guests had to use disabled spaces despite being perfectly fit.

A comfortable stay in an historic environment

No aircon in room. Opening a window meant smoke from smokers was drifting into the room so had to close windows and suffer the heat.

Good location, could leave my vehicle whilst travelling into London. Walking distance to overland and underground stations. Good cleanliness.

Bed was opposite door so when partner went out for a cigarette everyone could see me ..Air con didn't work and tv kept turning off .Wish I hadn't had upgrade nah of liked other room .

Bed was comfy

Rooms tiny, service at the bar is atrocious and when they try to charge you for items on check out that were already paid for is a little annoying. Advised on check in that breakfast wasn’t included in my rate to be told on check out that it was! Staff didn’t seem to have a clue! Huge thumbs down

Location good

The mattress. It was the only thing that let the room down. Too soft, dipped in the middle and didn’t give a good nights sleep.

The bathroom was exceptional. Best bathroom of any hotel we’ve stayed in.

No complaints

Breakfast one of the best I’ve tasted. Delicious bacon, sausages and tomato. We were given an upgrade to a “directors room” which was extremely spacious with Spa bath. Extremely pleasant overnight stay.

• Standard Twin Room

Squeeking floorboards from upstairs woke us up at approx 4.00 a.m and continued until approximately 6.30 a.m on first night. Second night was better but squeeking floorboards were still a problem. If the floorboards were sorted out our stay would have been perfect

Hotel setting, good location,clean and comfortable room

Some parts of the hotel could do with repainting externally. A few tins of masonry paint and gloss aren't expensive but would have a good impression. The smoking area being outside our room window and being woken at 3am by smokers.

The historic part is very characterful. Very handy for the tube and Wembley. The staff were friendly and helpful. The breakfast was good.

My elderly and ill Sister flew in from Spain early that day to join us for our Granchilds funeral. She had difficulty accessing her room and became tired and distressed.she was upgraded,but staff should know not every visit is 4 fun , thank you

The grounds and facilities were delightful. Reception was very helpful despite me arriving late after 10.30.I think I had the last parking space.

Unfortunately as lovely as the hotel and room was the walls and floors are paper thin. You can hear people walking and talking in the room above. The people above us were chatting until 5.30 Am!!! I did not sleep at all I could hear EVERY single word as if they were sitting in my room. They weren’t shouting just talking. This really spoiled an otherwise perfect stay

The room was lovely and cosy. Very clean and very comfortable.

The bedroom and bathroom althought clean and comfortable but not much bigger than a matchbox, if you wanted to make a drink and go into the bathroom at the same time - no chance

The reception and bar wer lovely relaxing and comfortable did not have time to experience the restaurant

Room was very small, walk in the door to the room and practically walk into the bed! Subsequently the hotel is over priced. The bed was uncomfortable and the valance on the bed was dirty.

The location, we were meeting friends in the vicinity of the hotel. Right next to Ruislip tube station.

Room was ground floor, so I could not leave windows open at night. I was in one of the older rooms and it felt a little tired - things like cleaning up tile grouting etc helps. Bar also felt a little dated and tired, but to be fair it was good value for money, given its in the London area. I have not see the newer rooms.

Staff tried really hard, although could be a little better trained in some areas. Vegetarian food on the menu.

I could hear the people in the room above me, moving around but not their voices. It woke me one night with a start as it sounded as though someone was in my room

The layout of the accommodation. A pleasant mix of old & new

Nothing ..... no complaints at all.

The staff were friendly and efficient. The hotel Was exactly what we were looking for. The breakfast both days was amazing and the staff who served it were lovely. The rooms were spotless and very comfy. The hotel was so close to the high street and station which made it the perfect location ! We have booked again for June 👍🏼

The room was cold, but I found this to be a general problem with the hotels in UK during winter.

This hotel was amazing for my business trip near Ruislip. The (superior) room was huge and I really enjoyed the jacuzzi. The restaurant food was great also.

We have stayed here on four occasions and twice been given a room in which the shower is not working. If we stay there again we will check out the room first.

Good value in a convenient location

Not a great continental breakfast - had better choices elsewhere.

The room was large which was great but bathroom not so good. Quite small and no bath rail to hang on to.

The room had a draught coming from under the door. The bed was very uncomfortable and the bathroom was freezing. I have stayed here before in the new build at the back and loved it, was hoping we were in there again.

We liked the location, easy for the tube.

• Standard Twin Room

Coffee wasn’t re-filled and only two sachets Small - very very small room. You wouldn’t want to hang around long in the room. Would be nice to have a small fridge

Cleanish - could have been a bit cleaner round the taps, but generally clean Quiet - because it’s not a hotel with hallways, you can’t hear other people coming and going Grounds - were lovely and neat Beds - very comfy

Booked the room to stay for a function at the hotel and for a lot of the time we were entertaining our guests the bar was unstaffed. The room was very hot and the decor was tired. The food was ok but not great.

all the staff were very pleasant and helpful

Drinks were a bit on the pricey side but considering its London this should be expected

Upgraded to a Junior Suite which was amazing and good value considering local Travelodges and Premier Inn's had doubled their prices due to half term. Would not hesitate to stay here again

• Standard Twin Room

As strangers, following Sat Nav directions in the dark, we found the the signage on the roadside dim and the very tight turn immediately off the mini roundabout difficult. The car park and entrance approach could perhaps be better lit and smartened up too.

All staff were pleasant and helpful. We were upgraded to a Director’s suite which quite exceeded our expectations.

• Standard Twin Room

Main room lighting and telephone were both out of action. The hotel didn't offer an alernative room but were obviously aware of the problem, which was unsatisfactory.

Good location and friendly staff.

• Standard Single Room

Double room was ok for one person, might have been a bit small for 2. Big clunky key

Good location to tube station, high street and a waitrose next door. Rooms well stocked and clean Restaurant was decent pub fair and had a good few vegetarian options.

Food was not great value. I did have breakfast each morning; hot food has to be ordered and takes a while to arrive, then there isn't much of it. I'd prefer a buffet. The room was on the small size, but adequate.

More interesting than staying in a bland chain hotel Quirky building, grounds and rooms (some are in conversions of truly ancient farm buildings). Inclusive car parking too.

• Standard Twin Room

Noise transfer from adjoining bedrooms, particularly from above was sometimes annoying; In particular during the night. I am a consultant acoustics engineer and know that this noise can be eliminated.

Unfortunately the walls are very thin as it is such an old building, therefore you can hear the other rooms quite clearly! (It is a very beautiful old building though, and is a fair price to pay for this)

Jaccuzi/spa bathtub was a surprise treat!

The staff were very friendly, the hotel is very lovely and the grounds are very nice. We were there on a company Christmas party the food was amazing and for the amount being served it was lovely and hot. Just thought the amount for the room was a little expensive.

Bedroom tiny and very small bathroom and so close to the bed...not nice Not a nice welcome when booking in, couldn't get served at the bar to order food, totally ignored us, we went elsewhere for food. Breakfast was naff for the price £10.50 Staff were miserable apart from the guy serving the breakfast.

Hotel Wi-fi was poor and room was overheated but switched off radiator then all was fine. Cramped bathroom.

Great location adjacent to Metropolitan Tube station and free parking. Rooms are small but comfortable. Excellent value for money.

Bed not too comfy and no full length mirror. No extractor in the bathroom and the lighting quite dim.

Good location. Lovely old grade 2 listed building. Didn't dine but know that the restaurant is very good.

everything was good, so nothing not to like.

Very nice as always, the staff are very friendly and helpful, our room was lovely. Location was good for us.

Rooms are very small for the price - squeezing too much into a small area and the rooms are tired and rough around the edges - paint work needs redoing to the walls and skirting and the sink cabinet was in a poor state and had been poorly refilled. Shower was very poor hardly any pressure to allow the water to flow.

Main part of hotel very pretty and historical.

The shower ! Hardly any pressure, so I couldn't risk washing my quite thick hair. Also tricky getting in and out of shower with the folding door. We have spoken to the manager about this and I have to say they were extremely quick to make apologies and offer recompense. Parts of the hotel are dated and don't look well cared for. Struggles to park as there was a conference on.

Very clean, warm but good ventilation. bed very comfortable and good tea and coffee making facilities

SOME ROOMS ARE SMALL AND DAMP SMELLING AND NOISY, WE GOT AN UPGRADE (AT EXTRA COST) AND HAD A VERY GOOD ROOM THE STAFF ARE MOSTLY UNHELPFUL (WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE RECEPTION STAFF)

The only real let down at the Barn is the bar, which quite frankly is probably the worst hotel bar ever. Staff seem to come and go through it, but seem oblivious to customers stood at the bar awaiting service. Staff do not acknowledge waiting customers and may prepare some form of drink and disappear with it, with no explanation as to why there is no bar service or how long it may be before anyone may be able to serve drinks. Another issue with the bar is that if you do finally manage to get served (we found generally it takes at least 10 minutes), then all beers, ales and ciders are served in the same bog standard beer glass, so no nice tall cider glass, or lager glass and drinks which should be lively and sparkling are flat in seconds.

Generally it's a lovely stay. It is reasonably priced, clean and a very handy location. Breakfast is also very good.

• Standard Single Room

Walking into no.25 and smelling drains. I opened doors and windows with no relief. After filling the bath and letting the water out at the same time as flushing the toilet and running the sink I think I resolved the issue. General maintainence (bathroom floor and behind the sink). I have stayed in the smaller single rooms and this was a lovely size just a bit tired. Thank you anyway and be assured I will continue to use you when I am your way again. - Linda

Location, Main house decoration and ambience, staff, grounds

Very olde worlde room that was tastefully decorated. Thoroughly recommend the room, although I didn't eat in the hotel so cant speak for the food.

• Standard Single Room

Confusion over room status meant I was moved to a ground floor room; not a big issue but I'd have preferred a first floor one.

Brilliant location as a staging post for a trip into London on the Metropolitan line (Ruislip underground is right next door). Lovely courtyard gardens with rooms facing inwards makes it feel secluded.

• Standard Single Room

Everything was great until 8am the next morning when there was 20 mins of drilling or a drilling noise coming into my room waking me up. I did report it.

The Room was great stafg friendly and helpful.

Poor water pressure and only lukewarm water in shower. Odd as fine in bath and sinks. Uncomfortable pillows. Only a small double bed and no window in an exec room with a massive bathroom - needs a re-design. Only small cups with tea and coffee facilities: impossible to make a decent hot chocolate in a small cup. Menus in room but no offer of room service other than breakfast.

Efficient check-in and room upgrade. Large bathroom and shower. TV above jacuzzi bath.

• Standard Single Room

The room was too hot. I was in a downstairs annexe and the window was full opening so I could not leave it open as I did not feel safe. It was a warm October day, but heating was on full blast. The room smelt of a previous smoker, even though it was a non smoking room. I asked to be moved to a different room, but was told hotel was full. There was mould on the windows. The wi Fi did not connect as too far away from the main building.

I was surprised that despite being residents in the hotel we were told firmly by staff that last orders at the bar was at midnight despite the bar being full of guests. I also learned the following morning that our host had had to pay for the bar to stay open from 10pm to midnight for all the guest staying at this hotel. I have never ever heard of a large hotel doing this to there guests and feel it was unnecessary and in very poor taste.

The bar food and breakfast was excellent.

Nothing this trip

It was just a lovely stay for the 1 night, need to visit this area frequently and this is the best in the area, the staff were very friendly and helpful, would definitely stay there again

• Standard Single Room

The evening set meal was excellent in every way. Compliments to the chef. Different chef in the morning. They upgraded me and the suite was superb, very comfortable.

The price! For which reason we didn't add to cost by having breakfast which rather spoils the experience.

Room good size and it was lovely to have double aspect. Bed very comfortable.

Bed and rather small room.

Very clean and many little touches i.e. boxes of tissues, toiletries, tea, coffee and biscuits. Had a meal with friends in their restaurant, excellent very good quality. Room a little small and bed not very comfortable. When we return, we would pay the extra for larger room. We has a very pleasant stay. Staff very helpful and accommodating.

Nothing really.

I love this hotel. It is a mix of modern new build rooms and rooms in an old farmhouse and outbuildings. Very quirky, but good atmosphere. Restaurant food very good and reasonable. Really near tube for communication.

I asked for a quiet room as before and we were in the old charming building as before, different room same floor. We could tell the bed was going to be uncomfortable as we could feel the springs through the mattress. This was helped when the lovely housekeeper bought us a mattress topper. There was a nasty smell in the Bathroom maybe drains? apart from that and we thought Mini Bar and Safe would be in the room, but they weren't it was a charming room. On checkout this was conveyed to the Manager and she was very nice and was sorry for things not being quite right this time. As stated before we will probably stay here again.

Staff were very helpful and friendly, location was good for us. We have stayed here before was and was good, will probably stay here again soon.

This time i was slightly disappointed in both the room and the value. No headboard on a superior room. Pictures don't show the exact rooms-misleading. There was a lack of security when housekeeping left a window open-we were on the ground floor- all day

The location is the best bit about the Barn having stayed here several times before.

16th century buildings surrounded by superb landscaping ... what's not to like. Adjacent to a Metropolitan line station of the London Underground, access to Central London is simple, inexpensive and quick.

• Standard Twin Room

Very small room and bathroom was literally like it was in a cupboard, pokey. Not good value at all. Would not stay here again unless in another room. It was round the back of the hotel. If we were staying more than one night I would have asked to be moved. Lots of stains on carpet.

Location of hotel and the gardens

Breakfast times

Breakfast did not start until 7am and I had an early flight from Northolt airport so I needed to leave the hotel at 6.45 . Could breakfast be earlier ?

There was a musty smell in part of the 16C building. Standard double bedroom was just about acceptable.

The gardens and most of the public rooms were attractive.

• Standard Single Room

The shower cubicle was a bit small and the water pressure was poor. That said the bathroom was spotless. There was noise during the night and early hours with residents moving suitcases over themany footpaths connecting the bedroom units with the Reception building. Presumably, guests are using the Hotel as a base for local airports and check out according to flight times.

The room was spotless and towels changed daily. Reception staff were very approachable and helpful. Car parking onsite was main attraction of staying here.

Browse Barn Hotel traveller photo gallery