Reviews of Consort Hotel 3 stars

Brampton Road,Thurcroft, Rotherham, S66 9JA, United Kingdom

#7 of 11 hotels in Rotherham

6.1

• Classic Double Room

For some reason they've put the prices up on the rooms just after my stay, this place used to be really good value for money but now the prices are way too high, not many people seemed happy about this and there were only 2 people booked in after the price went up - seems like a bad move. For the same price now there are many more hotels in Rotherham with more facilities at the same cost. Hope they change their mind in future.

Food is excellent, beds really comfy, quiet location, friendly staff.

• Classic Twin Room

When we arrived there were only 2 members of staff the receptionist & what we thought was the caretaker who turned out to be the new Manager having driven up from London that day. Apparently taking ovef from a Manager who had only ladted 4 days & who had taken codes for security doors etc and passwords for email access etc. Our booking had not been loaded on to the system even. We were expecting breakfast as part of the package...it wasn't even continental basically cereal & toast juice tea & coffee. The bowls were dirty as were the cutlery. There were no cups & no teaspoons & the Manager, now in his suit was going backwards & forwards to the kitchen with ni real foresight as to what was missing. In 2 words Faulty Towers...the place is being run on a shoe string & the rooms are in diar need of an upgrade. Our beds were very comfy & the linen clean but the nets at the window were filthy & the shower leaked from under the bath & wet the floor significantly. There was a wedding on whilst we were there & having a drink in reception a bar man talking to the receptionist & Manager was saying how he just wanted to go home, how long he'd been at work etc for all to hear. The next morning on leaving there were several women in pyjamas & slippers smoking at the main entrance....not really something you want to see at 10am in the morning!

• Suite

After many years I see a decline in quality: mistake with the reservation, no soap for the shower, steak was of low quality (1/4 uneatable). Most disappointing was the poor limited breakfast.

Good and clean room. Good personal service of staff that knows me.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

The room was very pokey, the restaurant was dirty, the bar was not stocked at all. We paid and booked for two nights however left after the first night and booked at the Ibis (Accor Hotel) which was far superior. Very short staffed, breakfast was woeful.

The staff were very helpful, however they were extremely short staffed.

• Classic Double Room

•Hairs And spiderwebs everywhere in the room •Didn't get a wifi code •No air con remote •The TV had to be retuned every time I turned it on • constant humming noise •not a friendly welcome, with few work spoken •didn't dare stop for breakfast

Close to motorway!

• Suite

After selling my house i was left in limbo... All the staff at the consort looked after me and made my 11 day stay amazing... I can not thank them enough for an amazing break

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Room was really noisy from outside traffic on busy road, you could hear people in rooms next door, the TV was like 5 miles away from bed and tiny, it wouldn't work off remote or switch on from on off switch on TV first time, it had a delay and came on its self 10 15 minutes later, and management knew it didn't work, shower screen didn't have seal at base so floor got soaked, breakfast wasn't anything special.

Bed was nice and comfy and plenty of parking.

no air con although its advertised it has. when asked why they just said open a window filthy conditions cracked sink in half and just glued back together no trained bar staff i had to show them how to pull a pint then got another pint with cigrette wrappers in the glass tables were disgusting beer mats stuck to them due to the stickyness refused to eat there to avoid ilness no tv in one room the worse hotel ive ever stayed at avoid avoid avoid

• Classic Double Room

This Hotel was at one time a GREAT place to stay, now no welcome , no teaspoons with cups anywhere, breakfast buffet bar very poor, very little staff on. I have been coming to this hotel for years and it break's my heart to see it in the state. PLEASE, PLEASE, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

NOT A THING

• Family Room

I was really surprised to see how big the room was. Also, the breakfast was really tasty and I really appreciate that even if I was a bit late for breakfast they still served me with a smile on their face. The staff were really friendly and helpful. I will definitely go back there in the future.

• Suite

Breakfast was a huge disappointment. No yoghurt or fresh fruit as stated on the menu. The presentation of cereals, juice etc was like walking in to a half empty larder. We later found out fruit and yoghurt was available but the lone server couldn't be bothered to get it, told us they'd run out, which was BS. No selection of teas either- same deal as with the above.. Poor customer service.

Great reception staff, and Nicola, the chef, cooked a lovely evening meal for us.

• Family Room

The breakfast was OK but very small variety.

Clean, nice staf, big room, big and comfortable bed, shower and bath in the bathroom double sink for family room.

• Classic Double Room

The was nothing I disliked about the hotel.I have stayed in it before many years ago. I have family in Thurcroft anyway.

The big bed very comfy and the room was big. Plenty of room to move around.

• Classic Double Room

The wifi signal was quite poor, I'd also have preferred mugs instead of cups and saucers in the rooms.

The hotel was really clean and comfortable and the staff were very friendly. We had a ground floor room due to my husband's mobility problems, which was lovely and spacious. We didn't eat in the restaurant so I can not comment on their quality of food.

• Classic Twin Room

we requested a double room & got two single beds & two bunk beds, bathroom shower leaked & water went cold when the basin was run also water flow pathetic also a bad smell in the room. Breakfast the staff were no where to be seen for nearly 10 minutes while we waited to be seated & then they had to clear a table, one of many needing to be cleared, no cups & saucers or glasses or orange juice ready to self self

• Classic Double Room

receptionist was on the phone to a friend when i arrived and didnt even acknowledge me or apologise not a good start

Male receptionist next morning was fantastic very helpful and friendly even upgraded my room

• Classic Double Room

I COULD NOT FIND ANY INFORMATION IN MY ROOM REGARDING THE FREE WIFI AND SO I WAS NOT ABLE TO UTILISE IT ON MY STAY. IT WOULD HAVE BEEN GREAT TO HAVE SOMETHING IN MY ROOM, SO THAT I DONT NEED TO CONTACT STAFF AFTER I HAVE RETIRED TO MY ROOM.

Desk staff was friendly.

• Suite

very basic Tea & Coffee in the room, no information about the hotel in the room we had to ask at reception about meal times and location of restaurant & bar

good size bed in the suite

• Classic Double Room

Really great staff; friendly and efficient. We had travelled from Devon and had spent the day with a relative in hospital. We asked the lady checking us in if she could possibly provide some 'real' milk for a cup of tea. She came back with a pot of tea and some biscuits. It is the little things in life that prove that kindness is still present. Tea may be a small thing but on a very difficult day it meant the world to us. Maybe the hotel is 'just' a stopover but with staff like that I would love to stopover again!

• Classic Double Room

Restaurant shut on first night, no Key Cards available so staff had to open the door every time I wanted to be in the room, and the shower was poor!

Staff were very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was ok.

• Classic Twin Room

Was very hot in the room no Aircon . The key system was down and the staff had to run up and down the stairs letting us into the room.

Friendly staff . Location was good for where we had to be .

• Classic Double Room

Breakfast definitely not worth the extra £10. Basic sliced bread to toast, make your own instant porridge from a pot, no yoghurt, fruit, croissants. Possibly worth it if you have a full English and fill up on everything else but not good value. Staff were nice though. Room was over heated and on a noisy road so not practical to leave the windows open, but for £36 you get can't really complain.

You get what you pay for with the room. Very dated but cheap, clean and spacious with everything that you need. Plenty of free parking.

• Classic Twin Room

The hotel is very reasonable in price and other than minor problems such as small maintenance checks re: light bulbs all working and TV updated etc. Nothing to complain about since the staff were more than willing to help.

The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. On arrival, there were minor hiccups eg the TV required re-setting but the staff immediately set out to solve any problems and did so willingly. Nothing was too much trouble for them, even though they had 3 weddings at the w.e. and were all extremely helpful and as I mentioned to them "still smiling". I was attending a family wedding, which was beautiful. They had made extra effort to ensure that everything was to their wishes; The food was superb and more than plentiful!

• Classic Twin Room

On arrival was told we had to pay, when in fact we has already paid, this was quickly resolved. On the night we were there, the room card keys for whole hotel did not work - was told to ask at reception who would send someone up if we needed to be let into our room. Radiator in bathroom was full on all night due to faulty valve which made room very hot. Couldn't get wifi to work. Music from wedding party immediately below our room meant we couldn't to sleep until around midnight. Otherwise OK.

Nice big bed, friendly staff.

No key cards - system not working so staffhad to let you in. Bedroom right over wedding disco. Air Con no remote in one room. Not working in 2nd room. No TV remote for TVs and couldn't be provided one that worked. Couldn't use Bar as there was s function on.

Staff were very friendly. Bedrooms were huge.

• Classic Double Room

The reception there was very little help I was told on arrival that I had booked a double room when I was there with my son and I clearly booked 2 single beds there was no key to the rooms they said there was a problem with the electronic keys and they were waiting for the engineers to come we were told to keep the door on the latch so the door would not shut the room was small the view was of the roof the bed was very uncomfortable to soft and lumpy I was told I couldn’t go and sit at in the bar as there was a wedding reception and was told to go to the local pup just down the road I booked breakfast to be told that it wasn’t on until 8am we had to leave at 7am so we did not get breakfast the shower was totally inadequate as there was no pressure so we had to make do Over all I was very disappointed with this hotel and it certainly was not worth the stay and I will not be staying there again

• Classic Double Room

My room was infested with ants, Staff very laid back When I asked to change room because of the ant issue at 9am I was told it could be done at 2/3pm, no apologies for the issues at all. No key to my room (because of some tech issues) so i had to wait till someone was around at the reception to let me into my room. Horrible stay will not be staying again!

• Classic Double Room

Needed repairs and bed was no good it was worn out with stains on it. Couldnt have a key for the room as the key card machine wasnt working. Breakfast was awful worst i have ever seen. Staff were unhelpful .

• Suite

Booked a suite and was given smallest room complained and was given a larger room but not a suite manager said they were all taken but I don't believe it the hotel was practically empty we also had ants in the room

Leaving on the Sunday

• Family Room

Breakfast expensive; not suitable for the disabled: steep stairs to climb, no lifts to access rooms which are all on the first floor. Soap dispenser broken, had to ask reception for shower soap/shampoo.

Clean comfortable beds; room we were in was quiet and spacious.

• Classic Double Room

There were ants in the room and the room didn't receive the free wifi advertised

The staff were happy to combine orders when there was a mistake booking

• Classic Double Room

Night porter needs to learn how to speak on a phone and smile more . £8.99 very disapointing breakfast no little choice no bowls had to ask for juice didn’t cook my bacon as I asked .

Day reception staff very nice. Clean towels everyday

• Suite

WiFi didn’t work. No phone in room to contact reception. No book regarding details of mealtimes, choices etc. Hotel very tired looking but staff helpful and friendly.

Breakfast - good choice. More fresh fruit available would greatly improve it

• Classic Double Room

DO NOT STAY HERE! Ants in our room, cobwebs dangling from the ceiling - no offer of recompense and no response to several emails detailing my complaint- they are also no longer part of the Best Western group however still carry their signage and their Facebook page directs you to Best Western as well. Maybe they didn't leave the group - likely that they were kicked out! POOR HOTEL AND LACK OF CLEANLINESS - nothing but ignorance despite the fact that there are pests in the rooms.

Friendly staff.

• Classic Double Room

Uncontrolled heat in the room made it too hot to sleep. The staff knew about this and supplied 2 fans. Why not sort the problem out? Air conditioning controls not supplied so assume that did not work either. Ant infestation in room too. Removed quilt from cover to sleep with just the cover, and found blood/ faeces stain on it. Member of staff on reception when we arrived has an attitude problem.

Bed and room good quality.

• Classic Twin Room

I didn't find the heat easy to cope with the air conditioning was broken, the bed also had a waterproof mattress protector which made me hotter!!

Lovely breakfast choice, very friendly staff.

• Classic Twin Room

Found empty lager bottle in bathroom on checking in room. Rest of room ok though could do with bathroom refurbished as crack in sink and low pressure from shower. Corridors and stairs needed vacuuming.

Price

• Classic Double Room

There were a few ants in the room walking across the dresser and the TV had no signal so no channels to watch. Air conditioning was broken/turned off but there was a fan in the room to make up for it

Bed was comfy and location was good for an event in the village and it was good value

• Classic Double Room

Rooms always clean and comfortable

Not enough staff to cover breakfast. Constantly running out of things and felt bad about asking the one person on duty

• Classic Twin Room

Another guest appeared to have been smoking in their room at an open window and was flicking cigarette ash on our car below and also through the butt on to our car

The staff are so friendly and helpful

• Suite

Very unclean hairs, broken jacuzzi, broken air conditioning - dripping water till 4am, double bed we asked for was 2 singles pushed together!

• Classic Double Room

The room was not clean. There were marks on both the mirrors. The tea cups had obviously not been washed. Hairs around the bath. The shower did not work at all. When I took the shower head down to inspect why shower was not working, found shower head to be dirty. Kettle had not been emptied from previous occupant and tea/coffe marks on kettle. Moved bin To tie bin bag at end of stay and found litter which was not mine behind bin, bottles etc. I paid for breakfast but it didn’t start until 8am which meant that I did not have time to eat anything much. It was a Sunday though so this may be why breakfast was later.

The room was large and there was minimal Disruption from adjoining rooms on the floor. The car parking was ample, check in was seamless. The bed was comfortable. The noise from the road outside was minimal which is surprising given the property is located on a busy road.

• Classic Double Room

£3.80 for a 33cl bottle of Budweiser!!!!!!! Would have have appreciated the gent on reception offering to assist with my bags when I had to move to a different room. He just sat and watched me struggle. WiFi was a bit intermittent

Lovely staff Had a slight issue in the first room on my first night, but it was quickly sorted and was even upgraded to a bigger room! Great location for commuting Comfy bed! Nice big bathroom - clean! Lots of free parking Felt very homely

• Classic Double Room

Unable to use tv as no remote and did not work manually. The photos do not represent the room. Wifi did not work either. Only amusement was watching the ants, am still scratching.

Bed was comfortable

• Superior Double or Twin Room

The shower took a while to warm up when it did get hot it was very temperamental. The shower leaked a lot onto the bathroom floor.

Hotel was lovely and comfortable. The room was very warm.

• Classic Double Room

Shower did not work, so had to have a bath chipped cup and no remote for tv or air con.

Tea, coffee and biscuits in the room, bed was comfy and room was a good size.

• Classic Double Room

Perfect rooms and the price is great,why people complain about this place is beyond me what do you expect for £30 a night 5 star Rooms? I have stopped in lots of places through work and this place is far better than most big chains hotels. Restaurant and bar are good,pub over the road and takeaways in the local village and posh bars and food places are 5 minuets away in wickersley for the trendy people.

Arrived to find the were totally confused about the booking which we had paid in advance for over two months before back in February. Gave us rooms and 3 out of 4 rooms we walked into find they already had people in. As my mother went in one it was obvious there was someone In The shower. The other 2 has clothes on the beds. Returning to the reception we felt it was not handled professionally. We were made to feel awkward. There was a panic as to what they were doing and the young lad on the desk was trying to be polite but was very stressed and confused. I said as we had one room we would store all our luggage there and go out for tea while they sorted it to relieve the pressure. We returned about an hour and a half later to be given 3 more rooms and again 1 of them had some one In already when my mother in law walked in. Eventually we had 4 rooms that we could actually use but felt it got so embarrassing that we felt like we shouldn’t be there. There was no offer of something to make up for the inconvenience such as drinks while we waited or a meal or a partial refund on the rooms. I think just anything to show a genuine apology would have been good as we do understand things don’t always work out but the way a company handles it has a huge bearing as to whether customers feel wanted and will return. All we got was the blame game, blaming booking.com, which may be the case, but they did have all the relevant sheets when they actually went through them but had got confused somewhere before we got there and give some rooms to other customers which meant they were fire fighting when anyone else checked in. We understand they are no longer with best western and possibly have new management so hoping that if we do ever choose to stay there again things will improve but are not keen on returning for that reason. We have stayed many times over the years before this and as long as the weddings have not got rowdy it has been a nice hotel in a good position to stay in.

Rooms are comfortable and reasonably clean.

• Classic Double Room

Cobwebs in the room and in the corridor. Paper peeling off wall. Security lock only held on with one screw. Soap and shower liquid dispensers empty. Only one set of towels for a double room. Telephone socket hanging off wall. No wifi. No fraught beer in he bar. Room noisy next to a generator and outside metal staircase. Smell of damp in corridor. Heated towel rail not working. Missing cold water tap cover missing (looked very grubby).

• Classic Twin Room

1. Our room had booking had been cancelled due to another guest having the same name. 2. Heating couldn't be turned down and this was very uncomfortable, Windows had to be left open all night. 3. Shower stopped working before rinsed off.

Staff tried to be as helpful as possible.

• Classic Double Room

The male receptionist from Barcelona is very rude and ignorant. As the face of reception people want a warm and friendly welcoming not a cold and frosty reception. Heard a few others in the bar complaining about him too. His interspersonal skills are shocking!!!

Value for money

• Classic Twin Room

some noise from hot water system in rooms above (thankfully all quiet after 10pm); limited choice at breakfast (no fruit/yoghurt/marmalade); wifi in room temporarily out of order

Bed was very comfortable; bathroom clean & well equipped; excellent full English breakfast; receptionist friendly & helpful

• Classic Double Room

There was no phone so couldnt order room service that was suposably offered. There was no remote for the tv and when we told the staff they told us to make do. Staff seemed to avoid us. The bathroom wasnt like any thing in photos or description. There was dust and cobwebs in there. The visitors book had brick dust in it . The key card for our door didnt work, then when we told them a member of staff patronized us saying we were using the key card wrong and when he realised the card was faulty we didnt get an apology of him.

Was close to a great steak house

• Classic Double Room

Bed was uncomfortable and the pillows were very very thin. I woke up with a very bad neck ache. Also the fans on the roof appear to run all night long so there is a constant low hum keeping me awake. Worst rooms affected are ground floor near 105

The hotel was cheap

Dirty restaurant, rooms not properly cleaned, careless receptionists, terible noise though the hotel was empty, cold and mould smell at the ground floor rooms. poor breakfast - we received 3 small portions of Nutela for 5 people staying in 2 rooms: family and double and Nutela was the only thing the kids could eat. When we asked another 5 grams, there wasn't any left; broken beds: the bunk beds that we paid extra for the kids were woobly and couldn't be used.

I can't say I liked something. I had to ask to receive what I paid for.

• Classic Double Room

Brilliant stay, we booked last minute and had brilliant service from the chap at the desk. Lovely room and lovely staff, very clean- and at an amazing price!

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Beds spilting apart as they were singles fixed to gether not a double bed . WiFi not working hed to change rooms three times t.v. remote not working or no remote at all. Whirlpool bath not working view looking at a roof at the extension.

Staf were great

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Wifi wasn't working (they were changing from one supplier to another) when I stayed but the staff arranged for their administration wifi to be accessed via dongle(!)

Good sized room. Helpfulness of staff when wifi access was needed and their wifi system was down.

• Classic Double Room

Not enough tea coffee sugar milk in room but reception staff sorted us out.

The guys on reception were fab. Even found us an iron and ironing board which we expected to be alreafy in the room

• Classic Double Room

There was noise from some sort of machine most of the night. I was in the Laughton suite rm217. This noise_a loud whirring went on for much of the night, certainly til 3am then it kicked in again around 630_700.

• Classic Twin Room

Bathroom, hotel lobby & breakfast area - too hot. The bathroom radiator thermostat had sheared off so you couldn't control it - it was like stepping into a sauna. Stayed 3 nights - based on our experience at breakfast on the 1st & 2nd mornings I would not return to this hotel. However the 3rd morning everything listed on the breakfast menu was available. First 2 mornings: No fruit juice (some appeared from behind the bar area because I made a fuss (being a non tea or coffee drinker) but other people (T&C drinkers) were told there wasn't any!) No butter or substitute and a third of the cooked ingredients of a full English on the 1st morning weren't available and only a few of the continental choices were available. No internet for whole stay! I wondered if was due to the recent split from Best Western group as the login still stated BWConsorthotel. Have stayed here before and standards have slipped!!

Nice sized room- we got given double bedded room rather than the 2 single bedded room we had booked. The staff were great - nice and friendly

• Classic Double Room

The first night we stayed here we had an evening meal. The food we chose wasn't cooked properly, and the plates were swimming in grease, and there were only 2 other diners, I did complain, but didn't receive any feedback. The breakfast was fine the first morning, however the second breakfast, although the food was cooked ok, there was no fruit juices or marmalade available.

Reception staff and the lady serving at breakfast were friendly, polite and helpful.

• Classic Double Room

The room was ordered as a twin and finished up with a double bed. When getting into bed noticed that the sheet was soiled in a number of places. Unmentionable from rear end. I had to deal with this and remove the sheet. Believing bed not to have been changed from last occupant, it left me having an uncomfortable nights sleep. Could not leave quick enough and would not use again.

Car parking and location to where I needed to be.

• Classic Double Room

Wow WiFi bad. 1/2 roll toilet paper no toilet brush Bath taps broken Restraunt and bar bad Breakfast I asked lady on menu it says mushrooms she said we don’t have any that sums it up as to dinner Rump steak and chunky chips ? Was frying fatty steak please view picture And 2 x frozen onion rings and frozen chips plus 1/2 tomato

Parking was good j

• Suite

when they say breakfast is served from 7;30 to 10am on a Sunday they mean you really should have finished your meal by 10am... I would prefer slightly better toilet paper for a 3 star hotel

cheap and cheerful hotel with convenient access to M18 and M1. They were giving the place a new lick of paint this time stayed which is welcome.

• Classic Double Room

No tea bags in the room !!!! One or two small things didn't work in the room (eg a light) Breakfast: friendly staff, but the menu could have been that much more varied and exciting !!!

Comfortable & relaxing; arrived late and a meal was prepared for me

• Classic Twin Room

Wifi was very patchy in room

People excellent, bedroom very good, breakfast superb but the wifi was a bit poor. If they sorted that it would get a Great all the way.

• Classic Double Room

The only downside the bed was two single beds and it caused discomfort and there was no remote for the tv other than that i would have given you 10/10 but i would use you again.

I liked Dave the receptionist he made feel important and special promote him

The hotel is very dated with a lift and online breakfast started at 7:30 am but didn't start till 8am. As we were timed this made us anxious. We did get to our appointment on time.

The staff were ready to help

• Classic Double Room

The noise from other residents who where staying in the hotel in the middle of the night which was not acceptable. Did make a formal complaint to the hotel .

• Classic Twin Room

Limited breakfast choice and poor quality sausages also burnt tomatoes. Hard beds with waterproof mattress cove that makes you perspire all night. Dirty lace curtains.

Disabled parking was good Hotel was warm throughout

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Few teething problems with one of the boilers. Smell of fresh paint because of refurbishment on rooms. Will be looking great once completed.

New owners just taken over. Staff willing to help you.

• Suite

a/c didnt work but was given another heater.

Large suite room for a very good price, friendly staff with very clean room. The bed was spot on and would stay here again.

• Classic Twin Room

Everything. I didn’t sleep for the 4 nights I was there due to the bed being so bad. I have a bad back due to this stay at this hotel. My room was 205. It was noisy in the hallway outside of my room. The door used to bang every time someone was walking in the hallway. The shower was like being dribbled on I was so cold having a shower it was unreal. My keys was faulty and kept locking me out on the second day I went to reception to get a new key but no one was there. I walked around the whole hotel looking for some staff but could not see anyone. 15mins later someone appeared and they had a bit of a attitude. I spent £157.50 on a very bad hotel. I booked on the rating which I think they are fake.

The most horrendous hotel experience I’ve ever had and I did not like anything thing about this hotel.

• Classic Twin Room

Unfortunately, if you haven't got a car, there's only a Coop near you, that's it - but it's not their fault ;) The breakfast could be a little healthier. The full English is not up to scratch, and there's no fruit nor veggie alternatives.

Easily reachable, was good for where we were working. Spacious and clean bathroom, same goes for the room. Had a good temperature, was not noisy, managed to relax well.