Reviews of Best Western Invercarse Hotel 3 stars

371 Perth Road, Dundee, DD2 1PG, United Kingdom

#10 of 23 hotels in Dundee

Short and sweet !

Only criticism was that the shelves of the bedside cabinet were covered in dust and looked like not been dusted for months.

Room was warm and comfortable and nice decoration.

• Reviewed: 15 October 2018

I won’t stay there again
    • Standard Single Room

When I arrived at 2050 hours there was no parking available. I parked in the disabled bay and went to the reception. The receptionist lady was rather rude when I told her that I couldn’t find a parking space and parked in the disabled bay which was the only space available. She told if someone disabled came she will have to get my car moved...I asked where would I park then...she said it wasn’t her problem go and find a space on he street. Whereas I appreciate the stance in principle I protest against the attitude. There were other non marked area where one could park and she could have accommodated me there. Needless to say I kept looking for any parking space and move my car after 15 minutes. The single room was twice the size of a decent bathroom. It was noisy around and the sound insulation was not good at all.

Freshly baked bread in breakfast

• Reviewed: 15 October 2018

Fantastic value and a great location
    • King Room with Sofabed - Non-Smoking

Although we had a huge room, some of the others looked a bit on the small side.

The room was huge and staff were super friendly and helpful. The views of the river at breakfast were lovely and staff were great at accommodating our dietry requirements.

• Reviewed: 13 October 2018

Perfect stay.

Nothing, great hotel.

Very helpful staff, good room, excellent breakfast, convenient location for town and the view from the dining room is nice when it isn't so misty.

• Reviewed: 11 October 2018

Enjoyable and relaxing.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Raidiator in room was very noisy. Windows could do with being upgraded.

Great location for exploring Dundee and surrounding area. Hotel was clean and tidy staff were helpful and friendly,

• Reviewed: 10 October 2018

We loved this place.

We loved this place. The room was the biggest what We ever had in hotel. Breakfast was perfect in all ways. Staff was very friendly and welcoming. Not far from city centre but in same time little bit outside of city noises and just very calm place to stay

• Reviewed: 9 October 2018

Good
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Tv signal was not the best but put it Down to bad weather.

The woman who worked on reception as we checked in needs praised. She was really lovely and out spoken. Interaction was amazing! The room was really good.

• Reviewed: 9 October 2018

Food was good.

Receptionist on sat and Sunday....did NOT make us feel welcome in any way. Lad behind bar on Saturday evening....everything was too much trouble.

Food was good.

Amazing family room
    • Standard King Room with Twin Beds

We had the king quad room - king size bed and a room with 2 full single beds. We travelled with 2 older teenagers. This was the best ‘family’ room we’ve ever had. Both rooms were a great size and both had a large flatscreen tv. Buffet Breakfast really tasty.

5.5
    Resonable hotel stay ruined by 3:50am fire alarm.

The 3:50am fire alarm spoilt the stay that and the fact that the staff in the morning offered no explanation and were not even very seem particularly concerned that it had ruined a night’s sleep did not help.

Perfect Location and friendly staff
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Seemed that staff were struggling a little to keep bar and restaurant covered....bit of a wait for drinks but they were very busy

Bed was really comfy. Staff very friendly and went out of their way to help me. Managed to get me food from kitchen after it was closed....

• Reviewed: 1 October 2018

Very comfy bed, room and bathroom was a generous size.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

We were disturbed by a loud, drunken wedding party. Our group had rooms in two different wings of the building, and we were all affected by the noise, so it wasn't just an isolated issue. We had to be up and away by 6am, so having noisy guests shouting, singing, and fighting well into the early hours wasn't ideal. To be fair, I overheard some of the reception staff chatting in the morning and it was clear that they were very unhappy with the wedding party's behaviour - the whole family seem to have been entitled idiots with no consideration for anyone. So hopefully this is a one-off, I certainly don't think the hotel would take another booking from the same mob.

Very comfy bed, room and bathroom was a generous size. The location is very good if you are visiting the university or hospital. There's good, easy parking. There's a selection of nice restaurants a few minutes drive down the road.

Nice getaway
    • Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

Only negative was we were asked to take a seat while the staff checked if our room was ready.we sat for nearly 15 minutes and when we went to see what was taking so long they had forgotten about us

Hotel was lovely, very clean and decent location

• Double Room - Non-Smoking

That the room we got was like a cupboard and was so time and cramped we needed to change rooms which we has to pay for.

The new room we got which we had to pay extra for

• Reviewed: 1 October 2018

Pleasant apart from some inconveniences
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Room overlooked the function suite wher there was a wedding. There was a lot of noise from the smokers outside which meant I was unable to open my window for comfort. Noisy guests also woke me around 3 am which was unfortunate especially as I was working the next day. This was all difficult situations for the staff to resolve but did affect my comfort.

Very comfortable room and lovely comfortable bed. Very friendly and helpful staff

• Reviewed: 30 September 2018

Nice hotel, good location
    • Standard Twin Room

Fire alarm went off for a few seconds at around 5am and startled everyone awake. Cleaning staff walked into room without knocking whilst I was still in it. Luckily I was dressed and sat working.

Nice staff on front desk

• Reviewed: 30 September 2018

OK
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Layout of bedroom. Staff in general could be more welcoming and helpful.

Dinner menu and opportunity to meet there with friends and view from dining room. Bar open late.

• Reviewed: 29 September 2018

Always makes it a trip to look forward to

Not much

We go up to Scotland every year to visit our mums grave & always stay at this hotel because quite frankly it's the best - from service through to breakfast. The girl in charge of the breakfast operation handles the whole thing like a dream. We watched in admiration whilst she took an old gentleman around the servery to show him where everything was - she's a joy.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2018

Breakfast was verynice.
    • Standard Twin Room

Dinners were only fair. First night dinner was cold, second night there was a 15 minute wait from the time soup bowls were removed until the main course was served. Dining staff seemed inexperienced.

Breakfast was verynice. Front desk staff were all very helpful.

• Reviewed: 25 September 2018

Fantastic
    • Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

Restaurant staff knowing the menu better.

They went the extra mile for us, as im slightly disabled and wanted a walk in shower, they were able to change the booking and ensured that i received this. Great meal at night - bar person was excellent.

• Reviewed: 25 September 2018

Overall we enjoyed our stay.

Room 103. Noisy because of an extractor fan or something like that across from the room. No problem as we we were kindly moved to another room. No muesli at breakfast.

Overall we enjoyed our stay. The staff were friendly and helpful. Our room was comfortable and breakfast was good. Also the hotel is close to the V&A.

relaxing and enjoyable

I am quite annoyed that a single room turned out to be the same as ours and we paid £50 more for the same as the single, not happy at that, so that might be something to look at if I ever book through booking .com again.

The hotel was bigger than what I thought

Fabulous stay , would highly recommend it
    • Executive King Room - Non-Smoking

We couldn’t fault anything about this hotel .

Great location, great hotel , room very big & spacious, bed was amazing to sleep in , restaurant food great , WiFi great plus we requested a late check out which wasn’t a problem & at no extra charge which was Amazing.

• Reviewed: 21 September 2018

Clean rooms good WiFi
    • Family Room

The staff had no clue and were quite rude to the suppliers that were dropping off stuff for my bridal party. I also got told when I booked the rooms that I can have them until one o’clock although this didn’t happen and they wanted two of the rooms back by 12. I had to book one room for an extra night just because they couldn’t give me one room until half one. Terrible customer service.

Clean rooms good WiFi

• Reviewed: 21 September 2018

Good hotel for business purpose

Lots of stairs to carry suitcase up! Room was at back of hotel, near to the ballroom, and seemingly the bins for the bottles... This was fine except when someone decided 11.30pm was the proper time to dump all the glass bottles in the bin, which actually wakened me.

I stayed in room 140. The bed was very comfortable with lots of pillows to choose from. Free tea, coffee and hot chocolate in the room, along with shortbread - this was topped up daily which was a bonus! Lovely bathroom - I suspect recently upgraded - excellent shower and hot water seemingly available at all times. Staff were pleasant and tried to be helpful. Restaurant food was reasonably priced - although I didn't eat there. 20 minute walk from the hospital (where our course was) and 20 mins in the other direction to some nice restaurants on the Perth Road. Regular buses into town from the main road in front of the hotel. Free car park with adequate number of spaces available was a bonus! Wifi was of excellent quality. Would stay again if I had another course in Dundee.

Relaxing and nice ambience.
    • Budget Double Room

Would like to have had breakfast at the hotel, but as we only need something light like croissant and coffee £10.95 was too much to pay.

Evening meal enjoyable and reasonably priced.

Lovely hotel;

Sink plug in room 135 broken - needs fixing. Looks like it has been broken for a while; plunger connection missing.

Lovely hotel; easy to find, staff very pleasant and helpful, room very bright and comfortable.

Superb hotel and lovely staff. EXCELLENT
    • King Room with Sofabed - Non-Smoking

There was nothing I would change about our stay. Everything was first class and I can not think of one thing I would have changed.

Breakfast was superb and our room was one in the new area so was fabulous. View from breakfast room was fantastic. Loved the grounds.

This time we got what we paid for
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Size of double bed only 4ft 6inches but it was what we paid for. The bathroom tiles neeeded a good clean. Poor attention to detail on the cleaning in bathroom

Breakfast, carparking, staff (always friendly) It was great value for money.

Looking for a well situated hotel in a quiet location then the Invercarse is for you.

Very uncomfortable pillows. No alternatives available so we had to purchase a couple of pillows to ensure a good night's sleep. Restaurant would be much better if they had some vegetable sides on offer. There are none!

Excellent breakfast. Super high tea on Sundays. Great there is a restaurant in the hotel for lunch or dinner as no restaurants nearby. Loved the location.

Would highly recommend

The smoking area is at the main door

Everything about my stay other than the smoking designated area ,beds were comfy and the breakfast is great value for money , the staff were nice and helpful we felt very welcome

Probably go for the cheapest room. Better room don't really cut it

Toilet didn't work. Room was basic staff were forgetful, poorly trained or didn't seem interested

The view from the main ballroom was really nice

Nice views.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Beds and pillows kind of stiff and hard. Also the room was so hot! We couldn’t see any temperature control but the room was stifling. We did open the windows which helped a little bit.

Nice views. Quiet location, very clean and good sized rooms. Staff was very friendly too. Great place to stay as we were taking our daughter to the university. Near shops and St. Andrews so very convenient!

Good place to stay, polite staff and surroundings.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

1. In the room I stayed in (Room 112), the grout of tiles in the shower area was dirty especially in the enclosed section of the shower. Rubbing my fingers over the tiles showed that they have not been cleaned thoroughly but the light pastel colour of the tiles hid the dried up scum and lather splashes from previous users. The house-keeping needs to make habit of checking the quality of cleaning carried out by bedroom stewards from time to time. There was definitely some corner-cutting in the house-keeping side of things. 2. I found the carpeting on the stairs very treacherous and dangerous for visually impaired persons. Heavily patterned carpets with no markings on the edges to showing the end of each tread of step. It would be extremely difficult for any visually impaired person to know where an tread began and ended. I felt very unsafe going down those stairs whilst carrying my baggage. All the stairs could benefit from metal trimmings at the end of each tread to show the end of each tread otherwise, the Invercarse will have an accident waiting to happen!

The area was safe and quiet and had an exclusive feel to it. The price was very good for a double room although I felt that the cost of breakfast was a bit steep when compared with other similar hotels. Although I didn't have breakfast, it wasn't because of the cost but for personal reasons.

• Reviewed: 5 September 2018

Nice hotel!

The double bed was too small. Also there is no lift and noone helps you to take up the luggages (even though it was only one floor)

The bathroom is very good with a modern shower and facilities including an iron board. Parking is ample and always available. Location is also good... Close to Dundee.

• Reviewed: 5 September 2018

Brilliant
    • Superior King Room

There was nothing we didn't like, everything was super.

Everything was perfect. The staff were attentive and very pleasant, nothing was too much trouble for them.

One night getaway

No elevator to the upper levels, a bit difficult when you have a lot of luggage. No air-conditioning in the room.

The hotel was easy to find, location was nice with a view to the Tay river. Parking space for the car. Room was spacious and very nice, bathroom was excellent. The food at the hotel restaurant was delicious and breakfast was good.

This is a comfortable hotel, with a good restaurant.
    • Standard Twin Room

We had problems when we arrived to book in; at first they didn't have our booking (through booking.com) - eventually found it but blamed booking.com. Then said we hadn't paid at time of booking (which we had). Then at breakfast the next morning - challenged us - saying we were room only. We had booked with breakfast - the whole thing was poorly handled. We felt as if we were 'lesser' guests; having to prove our booking conditions. Although it was a lovely hotel - we're unlikely to stay again.

This is a comfortable hotel, with a good restaurant.

Good value.
    • Double Room - Non-Smoking

Staff where unpleasant and generally unhelpful. The quality of customer service was really poor.

Clean, tidy room. The bed was comfortable. The price we paid was good for the size of room.

So easy to book, staff accommodated me for an early check in...
    • Standard Single Room

Paid £3.80 for two tins of coke! Very steep!!

So easy to book, staff accommodated me for an early check in at 11.30, was so good of them, room and bathroom was spotless and comfortable. Tea coffee chocolates kettle etc fab.

Pleasant stay.

The hotel was bit far from the city center and other facilities. Bus connection was good so, it was ok. Little loud but there was a wedding so this was also ok.

Spacious room. Big parking place.

Lovely hotel, thoroughly recommended.
    • Standard Single Room

Nothing, I have no complaints.

This was my second stay at Invercarse, I returned this time because of the excellent value, surroundings and service. I'll be back next week and subsequent weeks, for as long as I am working in Dundee.

Serving our meals was super fast and the meals were very...
    • Standard Twin Room

Hotel is not close to any other facilities, therefore we had to eat and drink at the hotel. Not that this was a big problem.

Serving our meals was super fast and the meals were very nice.

The hotel location and presentation were exceptional

I was informed my room had a bath which it did not. There was also a wedding in that created a lot of noise to the room I was in which is understandable however the rooms were so hot the window had to be opened and the noise levels a heat caused a very restless night.

The hotel location and presentation were exceptional

Overall we enjoyed the stay,it is a pity that we had the accounting issue.
    • Family Room

Despite paying for the accomodation and one breakfast for three in full on arrival a charge of £30 (the cost of a breakfast for 3 people) was charged to my credit card 25 minutes after checking in without me being present and without my knowledge. Luckily I noticed the next day when checking my bank account online. When I questioned it at reception it could not be explained and I got a full refund of the £30. When checking out 24 hours later the same £30 charge had reappeared on my bill TWICE!! After some discussion with the receptionist and a young man who intervened the charges were quite rightly removed. Not the kind of issue you expect from a Best Western Hotel.

We were in the new extension, the room was spacious and comfortable.We had acouple of issues with the fittings but these were repaired very quickly. Plenty of relaxation areas around the hotel.

Totally recommend it.
    • Budget Double Room

Due to the lovely warm weather the duvet in our room felt too hot. But apart from the the room was excellent.

This is a wonderful hotel. Staff are friendly and very efficient. The food and the service at our daughters wedding was of the highest standard. The ballroom is so spacious and is an ideal setting for a wedding , or any other special occasion. The views from the large windows looking over the River Tay and onto Fife are stunning.

• Reviewed: 8 August 2018

Lovely hotel
    • Quadruple Room

Really nice big family room . Nice extras such as short bread and hot cholcolate snd sewing kit in the room. Nice Scotish touches such as tablet on the menu . Lovely view from the restaurant of the river xx

Great location with lovely staff.

The bed was hard and I struggled to sleep well. The temperature in the room and hall way leading to the rooms was stifling.

Great location with lovely staff. Free car parking facilities.

Good location for our stay, nice friendly staff.

Only little things we didn’t like - you had to pump the flush at least six times before the toilet flushed and on the tv introduction it said to look into the hotel information pack for details about restaurant and room service. We had to look into every drawer before we found the pack - why not leave these information out on the dressing table or by the kettle.

We stayed in the king size double room and that was a great choice, best first night sleep we ever had in a strange bed. Room spacious and with two chairs to sit on apart from just on the bed, we enjoyed our stay.

Enjoyable

The staff were very friendly and nothing was too much trouble for them. Rooms were nice although we didnt like being next to the function suite as we had a very noisy wedding but that was not the staffs fault.

Nice hotel in good location

Was woken up with people with their suitcases early in the morning going past the window, also woken by delivery lorries early in the morning. Rooms were too hot hence had to open windows wide at night. Disappointed with bathroom mouldy round bottom of shower tray and broken toilet seat

Food was fabulous, most of the staff were friendly but 2nd night spoiled because of one particular staff member. Views were lovely, overall nice hotel

Lovely place for Adults, just need to be more child friendly
    • Superior King Room

A outside/indoor play area, the location is perfect for children to play, but nothing for them, as offer of family rooms would attract more children. New extension of rooms but no air con, we like a cooler room, would of been nice to have a choice.

Helpful staff, good value for money

Toilet in room was difficult to flush, although did manage to get to in the end. Room key didn't work to start with but also sorted with no fuss.

Staff were very friendly and helpful, check in was nice and easy. Good selection at breakfast and nice clean room.

hard to get there because of road closures. room was hot no fan or A/C no top bed sheet, food bad
    • Budget Double Room

hard to get there because of road closures. room was hot no fan or A/C no top bed sheet, Breakfast was horrible beans, black pudding Haggis, pork sausage, eggs toast and potato scone. menu was not much better we arrived about 7pm no one would serve us anything to eat because the staff had left for the day. we had to order from the bar no wait staff. carried our luggage to our room no elevator service only steps .

Ideal location and fantastic facilities, pity about the breakfast staff
    • Budget Double Room

The waitress at breakfast was very rude and obviously didn't want us there. We arrived at breakfast at 9.20am to be told breakfast was finished but we could have what was leftover - not offered any pastries or told what was available - very disappointing after an otherwise good experience

The hotel was very comfortable and in a lovely setting.

Wonderful

The only compliant would be that the corridors and rooms of the hotel were very warm.

We attended a friends wedding at the hotel, and from start to finish everything was perfect.

Forever brilliant, lots if weddings and functions therein but these dont spoil your stay
    • King Room - Disability Access

Nothing to do with hotel but with dogs ( which stay and sleep in our car not the hotel room) there are no walkable close-by green field areas for the necessary ablutions. So each night before bedding down and each morning before breakfast we drive the dogs about 1.5 miles to green spaces, with plenty of poo bags of course, after that drive back to the hotel to sleep or eat breakfast. But you cannot have everything and the hotel suits us.

Regular visitirs here, over past 6 years. Suits us.

The room we had was a recent addition to the hotel and was comfortable. No fridge, no a/c.
    • King Room - Disability Access

The room was very hot as there was no air conditioning, just a fan. No window to open and let in a breeze, just the entrance door from the parking lot. No real view and the room was on the small side.

The prices in the bar. Cheaper than some pubs. The large TV screen in our room. Parking outside our door - it was an accessible room and would have been impossible to reach through the hotel, too many steps.

Nice hotel in a quiet area. Clean comfortable rooms.

As a lone female I would have preferred a first floor bedroom.

Very clean and comfortable, helpful friendly staff. Very quiet. Nice choice of breakfast options. Breakfast room has a great view!

Good value for money for an overnight stop over

The sofa bed isnt very comfortable. The hotel is a good 20 minute drive from the centre of city. There are no rooms with good view. Even though the place is across the river, only place for some view is the banquet.

The suites were large and comfortable. The bathrooms are large as well. The TV was another plus! The breakfast was very good. Great place for a stop over or a business traveller! Amazing value for money!

Handy little stay

Location was a little out of town for walking but no issue if you have a car and parking is free on site so not really a problem.

Never stayed here before even though it is down the road from my grandparents' house but had a wonderful comfortable stay and it suited my purpose of visiting family. I stayed in a twin room (2 single beds) as I was traveling with my mother and this suited us fine. The beds were comfortable and clean as was the bathroom. Tea and coffee was available in the rooms and some small toiletries. We were on the ground floor but there were a few small stairs going up to the rooms but nothing too bad. We didn't have breakfast only drinks at the bar but it looked lovely and clean and the view from the bar is a little hidden gem through the trees of the River Tay. I would definitely stay here again.

Comfortable but could be better.

The shower was nice but still leaked water outside the cubicle. I hated the ironing board that hung on the back of the bathroom door as it clanged every time you went in the bathroom.

The room was nice but small, no view as all rooms you get when booked through booking.com. There was adequate parking and breakfast was nice.

Great location, excellent food and good value

Rooms backing onto the courtyard/delivery area seem to experience early morning delivery vans which are quite noisy. Buffet style breakfast seems a bit of a let down for the overall quality and presentation of the available catering and the hotel generally.

Very friendly and efficient welcome. Staff were excellent throughout. Room small for a twin but comfortable and very clean. bathroom great apart from the noisy extractor fan - all Best Western hotels seem to suffer from this. Evening dinner menu good and quality of food outstanding backed up by prompt service.

Nice room;
    • King Room - Disability Access

No bottled drinking water in the room; poor internet signal; stuffiness in the room (regards the location of the room the window opening was not safe)

Nice room; very good breakfast; helpful personel

A private hotel where you can feel like the centre of attention
    • Superior King Room

Looking at a map of the area and the surroundings , you wouldn't believe how private this hotels feels like. The view from the restaurant are wonderful. The staff were typically warm and friendly. If you're looking for a romantic hotel or even a hotel for business, the Invercarse provides just what you need. Enjoy it!

Very comfortable bed.
    • Family Room

It was a long walk to the smoking area. They could do with one at the far end of the hotel. Could do with bigger plates for breakfast.

Very comfortable bed. Pleasant room and good staff. Nice garden and very pleasant bar, lounge and dining area.

I would describe this hotel as a good mid range hotel with...

I would describe this hotel as a good mid range hotel with everything that that implies. Great value for independent travellers. Also having used hotels a lot for business in the past I feel this represents a good comparison for similar hotels within the usual range of travel budgets. The hotel is easy to find, arriving from the Perth direction particularly. It is not right in the city centre but within 5 mins drive or even a half hour walk if you prefer.

The staff are lovely and the food served in the restaurant...

The hotel could do with a facelift as it's a little tired. Breakfast was a free for all as unfortunately we were sharing with teams staying at the hotel for the world karate championships.

The staff are lovely and the food served in the restaurant for dinner was fantastic.

Enjoyable stay.

Everything was perfect. My stay was not for pleasure as I was attending Ninewells Hospital. I chose this Hotel because of the locality to the Hospital not ever had visited Dundee before. Found the Hotel to be perfect for my needs, helpful Staff, clean Room and lovely meals served in your Restaurant. Overall a very pleasant stay.q

Great location for Airport and Hospital.

I left before breakfast was served so I wasn't able to sample these delights... perhaps next time!

Very comfortable bed, plenty of parking, friendly staff, good choice of meals on the menu. Very convenient for Dundee Airport & Hospital.

Quiet location. Room was clean, food lovely. Pleasant staff.

The hotel was very busy for a wedding so we had a room at the side with no view which couldn't be helped. Our toilet broke so we had to change rooms which was a nuisance but one of those things.

The food was very nice and the staff were very pleasant.

A very enjoyable stay and I would recommend this hotel

Breakfast could have gone on a little later or perhaps the breakfast items could have been allowed to remain in situ a little longer....the first morning the croissants and fruit were gone by the time I had finished the cooked breakfast.

The view was beautiful. The parking was more than adequate. The staff were very friendly and approachable.

A pleasant experience, would go back again without hesitation.

No air conditioning, but an electric fan was available. Breakfast not included - £10 extra!

Clean, comfortable, good value. Very friendly staff. Pleasant room with everything I needed.

Value for money.

Good location just outside the town centre. Plenty of parking and close enough to walk to the centre. Room was fine, clean, nothing fancy but plenty good enough.

Room 119 was close enough to the door that connects the long...

Room 119 was close enough to the door that connects the long corridor to all the rooms that all the time customers where entering/exiting it, it was slamming by itself. I had the misfortune to experience all this even at 1.00 in the night, with customers ‘yelling’ and speaking loudly by the door, almost like they were in the same room. Not really pleasant.