Reviews of Best Western Ivy Hill Hotel 3 stars

Writtle Road, Margaretting, Chelmsford, CM4 0EH, United Kingdom

#3 of 5 hotels in Chelmsford

The breakfast was not amazing for when we saw the price for £15

The bed was like a giant marshmallow so comfy and cosy and they room was just perfect for what we needed it for.

The view from our bedroom was a bit sad Some plants might have helped! (Room 31). Had to ask for marmalade at breakfast!All in all we were very happy with our 2night stay

Reception staff helpful. Breakfast,good variety of food. Towels in bathroom good quality. Plenty sitting areas.

Please put tea/coffee in rooms, or at least bottled water in the hot weather you need a drink in your room.

The hotel was nice, quiet and located in ideal for wedding we were attending. Staff were very helpful and i have no problems recommending this hotel.

• Executive Double Room

Room had mold, Windows were rotten, stained blinds, rust on fittings, mold in bathroom,you could not turn lights off separately by beds, wallpaper needs replacing,

Room was clean & tidy. It looked nice at first glance then you notice the bits. Bed was good to sleep in. Breakfast was very good pleasant staff. Won't be staying again

• Executive Double Room

Shower overhead had little water pressure and the shower connected to the bath taps had none on the second and third morning.

Staff at breakfast and at the restaurant were exceptional.

• Executive Double Room

Didn’t like bathroom in room 19 or decor. Very depressing brown. Drinks at bar very expensive. Would have preferred gin in a proper gin glass. Presentation of drinks poor.

Bit dated in areas. Needs a massive injection of money. Beds very comfy and linen fresh and crispy. Breakfast good.

We missed having a hook on the bathroom door, but you can hardly call that a complaint!

The staff were all wonderful, we were given an upgrade (we don't know why unless it was a marketing ploy to make us feel special, and it worked!)

We liked everything.

We enjoyed the whole weekend. All of the staff went out of their way to help us, which made our stay wonderful. We were at an Archery competition and they gave us a takeaway breakfast on the Saturday and Sunday as we had very early starts. But best of all, they catered for my husband's gluten free diet.

Lighting wasn't that great. But I was too tired to bother about it.

I had initially booked a room for three adults but on check in I was told that wasn't the case. So my room cost more than what I had budgeted for so it wasn't valued for money in the end. The room was nice though.

State of bathroom, water pressure in shower & sink poor, windows need repairing, room small Had to pay for cappuccino at breakfast having paid £136 for B&B Not good value for money

bar area, staff & breakfast

Unfortunately my room was next to the roof of the kitchen so there was some noise from the extractor fans.

Very comfortable room. Towels big enough to dry yourself

• Executive Double Room

A very friendly comfortable hotel. All of the staff were extremely pleasant and helpful. Reception staff very extremely helpful. Food in Bartellas restaurant was well presented and cooked. Very pleasant staff in this restaurant.

Was generally pretty tired in terms of décor and approach. Bar was closed on our return at around 12.30pm. Quite a few leaks dripping into the corridor of the building. Ceiling of room was in poor repair with a great crack across it. Didn't leak but gave a poor impression.

The bed was comfortable

10% service charge for the one pint of lager I had. This bumped the price to £6.54, a little steep I thought, especially when they probably have around a 50% mark up on the product anyway (which in any normal Pub would cover such things as heating, lighting, rates and STAFF etc). To then pay an extra 10% just for someone to pour it seems very unreasonable.

Friendly staff and a nice clean room.

Shower was very poor really felt needed update people expect a better standard. I feel shower and bed quality will keep people coming back if either are not a excellent standard customers won’t return

Staff excellent accommodation good food was good

As above, condition of room.

Although the staff were very friendly and the breakfast was excellent and the bed comfortable, the condition of the room (No9) was disappointing insofar that the bathroom had black mould around the tiles, and the wooden window frames in the bedroom were completely rotten with black mould. In addition the toilet seat hinge fitting needed replacement/ repair. Overall we gained the impression the hotel was in dire need of a refurbishment. In addition a morning newspaper ordered, never arrived, and our early morning call for 8am, we later found out, was made at 9am!

• Executive Double Room

really large comfy room, great breakfast, we had attended a function in the evening & so whilst cannot comment on the hotel bar/restaurant, the food at the private function was really really good

The breakfast had a large choice but the cooked breakfast items were all cold and we had to wait along time for a pot of coffee.

The hotel was nice but a little dated for this reason I feel that the cost per night is a little steep.

Check in was at 3pm we needed to be at a wedding close by at 1.30pm. Felt the early book in fee of £25 was a little steep just to drop cases in a room when paying £135 for a room and staying to have coffee and lunch at the hotel. However what will be will be.

Good clean hotel Nice lounge and bar area Near A12

They used powdered eggs for breakfast. The room was absolutely freezing. The shower pressure was poor. There was an annoying light on the tv that illuminated the room all night until I put my t shirt over it.

There was a wide choice at breakfast. Staff were friendly. There was free parking. The bed was comfy. The tv worked.

The drinks were very expensive the rooms were expensive because you were at wedding and it's a bit of the beaten track you two choices not to stay or if you stay you have you pay through the nose two drinks cost over eleven pounds because you are at wedding spoilt for us

It was clean and comfortable

The tiniest thing and it's personal taste is I like crispy bacon for breakfast! :) Other than that, all good...

All excellent; staff, room, hotel overall, breakfast and room service were all great. Exceeded expectations and we had a free room upgrade - thank you x

Some radiators were cold and not working, bathroom wall mounted shower water pressure was extremely low so wasn’t able to be used. Staff were very helpful in trying to resolve the issues though. Tile grout had seen better days in parts and also some holes in walls/ceiling.

Very helpful and friendly staff, who were willing to resolve minor issues when raised.

The Spa facilities were not available at this hotel despite this being shown on the details. The Spa facility is available at the sister hotel 7 miles away!!!!

Nothing in particular

The cost. The shabby decor in the bedroom. The fact they don't tell you they want a £40 pre authorisation from your card then it takes an age to have it cancelled. The deputy manager was insistent the following day it had been cancelled and was rude and get unhelpful.

Nice breakfast

• Executive Double Room

Room service coffee was very cold. At check in, reception assured me that I didn't need to speak with anyone at check out as they had my card and permission to charge the extras to it. It was rather irritating when the same girl asked me to stop as I was leaving and to get my credit card out to have check out before leaving. Argh! This very nearly made me late!! The room (number 19) was right next to the road and the traffic was quite loud. I had ear plugs which saved me from a poor night's sleep before my busy work day. Be sure YOU take some.

The bed was fabulously comfortable and the room very clean. Room service was prompt and the food was very good.

Stayed in room 2 which is a nice room but the window is screwed shut in the bathroom an d there is no extractor fan so no fresh air could enter the bathroom.

• Executive Double Room

Lovely food .Lovely bed bedding.

First impression is lovely room good bit noisy neighbours and bit noisy from motorway. And disappointed no dressing g.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

Very comfortable stay, room clean and spacious, the bed very comfortable. We had a very good breakfast and dinner at the hotel. All staff were friendly and efficient. Thoroughly recommend this hotel.

Cold bathroom, radiator wasn't working. Noise from behind the wall of the WC that kept me awake from 5am. Breakfast was ok but could have been a bit warmer.

The room and massive bed.

• Executive Double Room

No stairs to the upstairs bedrooms - but staff quick to offer help with bags.

Staff are very helpful and friendly. Leigh was our function co-ordinator and he couldn't have been more helpful.

Air Fresheners X 2 in the room? The smell was nice but far too overpowering

Fabulous location with lovely surroundings Overall cleanliness exceptional bed linen lovely white and crisp gorgeous white fluffy towels Attentive friendly staff Delicious food and great menu choices

I didn’t like that breakfast started later on Saturday mornings. It meant that I had to miss breakfast as I had to go to college.

I liked the presentation and the huge bath it was also pretty quiet despite its location

Poor staff service (lack of interest or care), lack of afternoon tea availability despite advertising and breakfast esp. the supposed hot food which was cold!!!

Arrived early in order to enjoy afternoon tea at the hotel (advertised as one of the best in Essex). Was rudely told that this was 'not possible' and so we asked another member of staff who explained that they 'did not have any of the ingredients needed, as people don't usually ask for it'!! Disturbed by loud toilet cistern in next door room during the night as the person in there was clearly ill. Breakfast was stone cold even when we had waited for items to be replenished ... inspite of the signs 'careful hot' alongside the food!! Waitress said they were busy as there was a big party celebrating a birthday the previous night - not good enough!

• Executive Double Room

No double glazing in rooms, drafty & noisy ( if it's a listed building maybe some secondary glazing ) radiators not working and outdated

Friendly Reception Staff & Housekeeping girls where lovely & polite x nothing was too much trouble when asked! 10/10

I didn’t like the cobwebs around the hotel, dust in the sink, damp smell in the bedroom, draft from the bedroom window, horrendously loud traffic heard in bedroom, the preorder breakfast offering croissants and danish pastries with orange juice which when I got it was coffee which I’m allergic to, crisps, a banana and a yoghurt!! Not a good experience at all, won’t be back

The receptionist was polite

• Deluxe Double Room

That I got to the hotel at about 4.30 and you could not feed me till after 9 o’clock .. which on my birthday I had to drive to another restaurant . I can definitely recommend the Indian at the top of the road. Unhearing it was my birthday he appeared with a card a bottle of Prosecco and two brandies on the house .

Holly On reception was very polite

Room needed heating.

Fantastic location, the staff is very professional and always smiling. Have been twice to this hotel and will sure come back when I visit Chelmsford

The hotel generally was a little too warm, although there didn't appear to be any heating on anywere

The room was very comfortable and the bed gave me a good nights sleep. Breakfast choice was very good

slight noise from public bar area from a wedding - perhaps closing internal doors at night would have cut the noise down

Very comfortable hotel with friendly helpful staff who were attentive and welcoming

Plug in air freshener are not to everyone's liking emitting chemicals which I had to turn off and loud pipe noises!

Friendly helpful staff and location close to A12, room & ensuite comfortable and a decent size.

All good but no fruit such as grapefruit at breakfast

Eager to help us in every way. E.g. we asked for a very quiet room - they upgraded us so we could have a quiet room. We also asked if we might have the room for a little longer than 11am (we were attending funeral). They said keep the room for as long as you wish! We asked if we could have a bar snack (as we had eaten at home at lunch time). Although only available until 5:30pm they still provided the hot food.

• Executive Twin Room

Our room had a couple of 'dust bunnies' I couldn't get an outside line on the in-room phone.

The staff were fabulous. Everyone was very friendly and very helpful with my elderly mother. We ate in both the restaurant and the lounge and the food and service were lovely.

The hotel was very dated and had a fousty smell to it, the bed was also very uncomfortable and we could feel every spring. Far too expensive for what it was.

Very good breakfast, good selection and very tasty.

No canned music at breakfast rather than just having it turned down.

The room felt spacious, with a desk a table and two chairs. Food in the restaurant was excellent.

• Executive Double Room

Rooms were too warm and stuffy with no air conditioning or fan system. The windows were able to be open all the way but made no difference.The room itself was fair with all we needed for a nights stay. Clean and functional as you'd expect however no "in room" tea or coffee making facilities and at least 1 USB plug socket would have appreciated its 2017! The corridors and room doors need new dampeners as every time someone used them the door would slam which travelled straight through our room and so you get rudely awoken at 4-5am Sunday morning by inconsiderate guests and slamming doors. Upon checkout we were not asked how our stay was so was unable to provide feedback. Overall not a great place to stay and will not be staying again.

Breakfast selection and quality was very good. Location just of the junction was very convenient for how far we had travelled. Road noise was not an issue.

• Deluxe Double Room

Room 30 too hot, even with 2 windows open could not cool the room down. this was also the same for room 29 as well. We were put on the same level/section as a wedding party LOUD, SCREEMING, SHOUTING, DOORS SLAMMING AT 5:00 IN THE MORNING. This completely ruined the whole experience for us, Lesuirely weekend visitors should be given separate sections to LOUD wedding party guests. probably will not go back or recommend this hotel.

The position of the hotel was beautiful, the breakfast was also very good, well appointed conservatory. Our room was very spacious, but NO airconditioning,

• Deluxe Double Room

Being put in the next room to a wedding couple who kept us awake from midnight till 3 in the morning. Complained to night staff not a lot done

Staff very helpful nothing too much trouble

Waited a long time to be served in the bar on my first evening and then on my 2nd, I returned from work just after 5pm and went to book a table in the restaurant for dinner, only to be told that my only options were 6pm or 8:30pm. When I took my table at 6pm, it didn't appear busy, nor was it by the time I left at 7:15pm. There is no bar menu and although the food was good, the menu is short, with few lighter options. Breakfast options were very limited if you didn't want a cooked breakfast.

Staff were polite, helpful and efficient. The room was shady and therefore blissfully cool, which was a bonus given the temperature on the dates I stayed.

• Executive Double Room

Perfectly happy with everything we experienced.

We love this hotel and have stayed here numerous times and held events there. The staff are especially helpful and friendly and do all they can to make your stay great. Its a great place to meet friends for a meal and a drink so no one has to worry about driving, with a relaxing breakfast in the morning.

• Deluxe Double Room

Cleanliness of the room not up to standard: dusty, leaking toilet, etc Strong smell of paint in the room No air conditioning

Comfortable bed Great breakfast incl. continental breakfast selection

• Reviewed: 9 June 2017

Poor choice of beers 2 lagers that were really expensive. Food also was expensive, as there were no 'basic' meals available. Was an upmarket restaurant. Wooden windows in bedroom did little to keep out traffic noise.

Individual hotel, not a faceless chain that all look the same. Comfy bed, nice ambience. Great location for my meeting the next day, and great value for money. (apart from food and drink) There were local pubs nearby that also served food but were a short drive away.

• Reviewed: 12 May 2017

• Executive Double Room

Breakfast not self service but cooking to order understandable with small number of guests to avoid waste.

Staff attitude was excellent. Room had all facilities one would expect from this level of hotel.

• Executive Double Room

Too close to 6-lane A12. Pollution levels high. Effected us both, particularly my wife who suffers some respiratory problems. Maybe air filters/purifiers would help. Also noise levels uncomfortable roadside and low level hum elsewhere.

Good breakfast. Nice public spaces. Comfortable bedroom (room 2), although a little dark.

• Deluxe Double Room

Tired decor. Allocated room had a connecting door and screaming baby and child next door kept us awake all night. Not sure why a two mature adults were allocated a room with a connecting door with a family/children. Didn't get any sleep and therefore would not stay here again.

Very comfy bed, room quite a good size. Easy to find hotel and easy to park.

• Reviewed: 15 April 2017

Maybe just repair the parking place at the front entrance.

You did not ask about the food but it was wonderful. Really nice cosy hotel. I will recommend again and again!

The toilet seat was wobbly and one of the bedside lights didn't work. Not a big problem - we reported faults when we left

We were attending a party - the food was very good but wasn't too happy about having to pay 10% service charge on already expensive drinks

• Reviewed: 6 April 2017

No complaints

Every staff from the person at the receptio, people attending at Bartella for Dinner and person at the breakfast were welcoming,warm and helpful . Fantastic service. Loved our 3 day day stay.

• Executive Double Room

All the delightful cheerful staff who were helpful. Cleanliness etc. We were with family some also in the hotel and others joined us and we had an excellent meal in the evening in the restaurant. Staff enjoyed the fun we were having. Chef did four chocolate fondant puddings to perfection and all the steaks were cooked as ordered.

• Reviewed: 26 February 2017

The noise of the air conditioning unit that was just outside the window and hummed the entire night. The breakfast wasn't ready at 8am and was very uninteresting.

Staff were very friendly.

• Reviewed: 23 February 2017

Location was ideal for the purpose of our stay - interview at university college in Chelmsford. Staff were friendly. Food, both evening meal in restuarant and breakfast, were ideal.

• Reviewed: 4 February 2017

There was a bit of noise from the motorway during the night.

Very comfortable night followed by a really good breakfast the next morning. The staff were very helpful and extremely pleasant.

• Reviewed: 27 January 2017

Room 14 was noisy all night long because of external water noises and electrical appliances plus insulation of the doors in corridor.

The staff was nice and competent.

• Reviewed: 22 December 2016

• Executive Double Room

We stayed after a family party held at the hotel. The staff were fantastic helping set the room up for the party and great throughout the whole evening

• Reviewed: 26 November 2016

Enjoying a function that was well organised and staying in comfortable surroundings without having to drive after enjoying a pleasant meal and glass of wine also at the hotel later.

• Reviewed: 16 November 2016

We could not fault anything, the staff was very friendly and helpful, the bed really comfortable and the food was very very good. All in all, we had an excellent week end and would definitely go back when the occasion presents itself.

• Reviewed: 1 November 2016

Price of drinks at bars I know you expect to pay more in a hotel but £4.80 for a 25ml of tia Maria ridiculous

Attended wedding food was great also ate in restaurant also brilliant.

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

• Executive Double Room

Difficulty getting something to eat after our 2 pm arrival but special arrangements were made for room service

Staff very helpful. Bed was particularly comfortable and our overall stay was very good.

• Reviewed: 30 October 2016

The cooking smells in the room from the restaurant in the evening were unpleasant. A better selection/quantity of tea bags and milk would be nice. 2 Typhoo, 1 Earl Grey and 1 herbal with 3 milks was on the mean side. No fridge, why should you have to phone down for complimentary water and fresh milk? Doors banging in the morning outside in the corridor- can't they have soft closer's on them?

The staff were extremely welcoming and professional especially the young man on breakfast service. The bed was very comfortable, the room was bright and clean. Breakfast was good with quality bacon and sausage, a good choice of continental.

• Reviewed: 16 October 2016

Nothing not to like. Staff were attentive, polite, friendly and extremely professional.

The food in the restaurant was absolutely fantastic. I would eat there even if I wasn't staying!

• Reviewed: 3 October 2016

• Executive Double Room

Breakfast. For the price being charged I believe that a pot of tea/coffee and some toast should be brought to the table by the staff. Having queued to make toast then take it to the table and return to make tea and coffee is not the best start for a day.The English breakfast buffet was largely cold and uninviting. Pity about breakfast as the rest of our stay was positive.

comfortable bed and clean room.

• Reviewed: 18 September 2016

• Executive Twin Room

Grossly overpriced at £170 room per night. Should have been about £100 max . Experienced similar room facilities for £70 per night earlier this year in England. No fridge in room. Noisy as near A12.

Good breakfasts.

• Deluxe Double Room

Staff allowed guests from wedding party to drink outside until small hours right below our bedroom window. There was also a fight in the corridor from drunk guests. On check out was told manager would be in touch within 2 days regarding issues but was not contacted to date.

Very comfortable bed

• Deluxe Double Room

All excellent nothing needing improving

Friendly lady behind check in, super efficient checking in and out of hotel. Waitress who served our afternoon tea very polite. Rooms comfy. Excellent cooked breakfast

• Reviewed: 30 August 2016

Our room no.35 was extremely hot. And even with a large fan and windows wide open it was still hot. My partner is 35 weeks pregnant and found the room unbearable and as a result didn't sleep very well.

Location to family friends is excellent. Stayed last year for a wedding and loved the property, food and location. Was lovely to visit once again.