Reviews of Best Western Red Lion Hotel 4 stars

4 Milford Street, Salisbury, SP1 2AN, United Kingdom

#7 of 10 hotels in Salisbury

Honestly...words will never be enough to describe the service i receive every time i stay in this hotel. Every single member of staff do their best to help and keep the customers satisfied. During my last stay,the new trainee receptionist would do her best to serve me,as i needed to arrange a ''double'' booking (for two nights separately). She was so good that i haven't even realised she was a trainee! I don't know her name,i do apoligise. But i wish her all the best in her new beggining! Laura and Dawn even know my favourite room (20) and they book me there,whenever available! This last time, as i arrived very late,due to a train delay,i was given a quiet room and Laura also arranged a last minute dinner order,literally on the last minute before the kitchen's closing time. How could't i be thankful for that? The hotel itself is an amazing building in the middle of Salisbury city centre. It has a long history of hundreds of years,as it is supposed to be the first hotel purpose built in the UK. And if we believe the name of the bar, it was built on 1202! Which can be nothing but true, as in some of the rooms the old contrustion is visible through a glass on the wall. There is a variety of rooms,from more modern to more classic ones, suitable for every taste. But all with big and comfy beds, tea making facilities,iron and ironing board and TV and nice and spaceous bathrooms,with bathtubs inviting for a hot bath... I can say that i have stayed in this hotel quite a few times and it always is spotesly clean. Breakfast is rich, offering a variery of cooked and cotinental breakfast,beginning early morning,so it can serve working early birds... Everything is always fresh, tasty and well cooked,both at breakfast but also during any other time of the day.

I have stayed there a few times before & I think that they've changed the chef :-)

I love the place & the staff go out of their way to help.

We were told to park in the public parking lot... not so good: one sidemirror broken and a scratch on the second car.

Here one simply has to appreciate the historic charm. Squeeky floors and old carpets, it adds to the experience. Great location.

Rooms that I stayed for two nights respectively were too warm (28ºC at 3 am) even though it was cold outside - inadequate ventilation.

Staff were friendly and helpful. The garden was nice.

I have a bit of an issue with stairs.

Being visitors from outside of Europe, the age of the establishment and the atmosphere were truly an enjoyable experience

Room was very warm, no hairdryer (good job I bought my own) and a mirror that is beside a power point would be very beneficial. I thought the breakfast was overpriced for the quality of the food. Parking is limited to 5/6 cars at the hotel and must be pre-booked.

Cheaper bookable car park

Comfortable clean bedroom/bathroom. Larger room than expected. Great location right in the very centre of things and close to the cathedral. Pretty floral courtyard. Quiet at night despite being central.

The noise on Friday and Saturday night out of the windows was almost unbearable but nothing you can do about that besides earplugs (which is so loud they don’t help either)

Gorgeous old carriage house from the year 1220. Lovely entering into the courtyard where you can sit and enjoy your beer. We had an executive 20 room that had gorgeous views and a very modern large bathroom with a huge tub.

Lack of water pressure upstairs. (Room 62 and 64) Main light not working in room 62 Breakfast was just above cold in temperature. Night porter just generally struggled and seemed rushed.

It looked nice on the outside. Smoking area was good. Wi-Fi at 1.30am was very good. Bed in 64 very nice.

The shower was not very good.Difficult to operate, not powerful enough and hard to control temperature.

Staff were helpful and friendly.Nice historic venue.Room clean

Having spent the day wandering the Wiltshere countryside with friends I was knackered and just wanted to sleep. Room was comfortable but with no view, but the hotel facilities were very good and the staff were great. The night porter on my arrival on Saturday 12 May was superb so would like to praise him, but all the staff were friendly and helpful. would certainly stay there again!

• Loft Suite

Very poor breakfast, dry, luke warm and staff that did nothing about it even when told several times by several guests. Only 2 gins, we notice 7 guests ask for gin and tonic and everyone commented on the lack of choice.

Good location and nice room

As above and they make an arbitrary charge on your credit card allegedly to cover anything else you might order and then claim they would refynd the residue. Highly suspect process, especially if the charge will be in foreign currency as you will be charged higher fees by your bank. Certainly would not recommend the hotel to anyone

Staff were at best satisfactory, except for one older woman on reception who was officious and unhelpful

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Extra bed was not comfortable.

Good location. Near shopping street, market, and within walking distance to cathedral. Traveled with an elderly, hotel arranged a room near the lift.

At check in I asked the Staff if breakfast was included and they said yes. At check out they charged us £10 each for breakfast

Hotel was very nice and typical

Some of the breakfast staff were not very welcoming and the cooked breakfast items were not very appealing. Grey scrambled egg is not to my taste and I have never seen hash browns quite like those being offered. I felt as if leisure hotel users took second place to the business users. The historic bedrooms looked romantic but were not very comfortable. The hotel also needs to make it very clear on there website that parking needs to be pre booked and also costs £15 per night.

The reception and porterage staff were very pleasant welcoming

We loved everything about this hotel, as we stayed in the Seamstress suite, we experienced such luxury for the price we paid! We really loved staying here. Staff were very helpful, room was very clean.

I requested dinner but was told that, because of 2 functions there was no availability. I was informed that I could have a snack in the bar which I ordered - a baked potato with cheese, bacon & cranberries with a side portion of chips. The baked potato was just about passable but the chips were dreadful - soggy, limp & grey & certainly didn’t match their description on the menu. If I hadn’tfelt So tired after a very long day I would have made a fuss and sent the whole snack back. When I was asked at reception about breakfast I was told that breakfast wasn’t served until 8am. Not acceptable I’m afraid. I had to be ready to leave the hotel at 810am so I had to settle for toast & coffee in the lounge and as I had a long day ahead of me and then a long drive home a more substantial breakfast would have been preferred. I have never stayed at a hotel where breakfast on a Saturday starts at 8am.

The room was very clean & comfortable as was the bathroom but was really a single room. Two people sharing would have been cramped.

Nothing but didn't try the food etc so hard to say.

Loved the room - we were given one with a very ornate old head board. Bed, although little high for my short legs, was very comfortable. Room and bathroom both very clean

Nothing really under the present circumstances

The primary reason for our stay was to beak our journey for a holiday on Hayling Island which did not commence till the Monday 16th April, we really enjoyed our short one night stay but we did get time on the Sunday afternoon and Monday morning to explore the city, we also went to the Choral Evensong in the Cathedral on the Sunday. Really sad about the terrible situation at the moment and hope that the city returns to normality before too long.

Unfortunately, the hotel facilities did not meet our expectations. The room was small and extremely noisy at night. The hotel atmosphere and facilities were outdated; I'd not recommend it for a couple looking for a romantic getaway. The shower was grubby. The breakfast was average, without the option of continental breakfast.

Staff at reception were really nice and attentive; we left an item in our room and they kept it for several days. The location was perfect, very close to all you want to see in Salisbury.

We were in an outer building (not the main building) which apparently handles parties - as there was a party on Saturday night with loud music till 2:00am. While not a problem, we were up a flight of stairs with no elevator - just a good thing to know ahead of time. Restaurant looked very nice but also expensive compared to other nearby options, so we never ate there.

The room was a really nice size with a large bathroom, including a bathtub! The hotel was an old building with lots of charm. The staff were quick to help with anything we asked about and very kind.

The shower in our room was appalling and we were very disappointed with the staff apart from the night porter who was very polite and is a credit to the hotel.

The location was excellent.

Furniture a little dated but adds to the rustic charm.

Great central location, large room and bathroom, well heated. Cafetiere and fresh ground coffee in the room was a welcome addition to the usual instant stuff. Perfect base for Stonehenge. Cathedral is definitely worth a visit too with its copy of the Magna Carta.

Maybe a bit noisy from street noise at the weekends but nothing too bad.

Lovely period hotel. Wonderful courtyard, would be great in Summer. Central location next to large car park.

An odour coming from the bathroom which wasn’t pleasant. Parking is too small, no instructions on Booking.com about needing to be buzzed in.

Location to Salisbury cathedral plus other local attractions was just left. Proximity to Stonehenge was also not bad either. The room was comfortable, medium sized and bed was super soft

Our booking was for 2.00 , we arrived at 2.5 our room was not read . We had to wait 45 mins before we could go to our room . Not good after driving 3hours . Yes we had complimentary coffee but did not expect to wait 45 mins . I was surprised how small the room was for 82.50 a night . The room was dark . Our window looked out on to a pigeon poo encrusted space between other roofs electric cables un fixed , broken slates .. it just looked like a scrap yard . Toilet seat was broken , the toilet bowl did not look as if it had been cleaned , perhaps a cursory wipe with a cloth which I reported to reception . This was fixed in short time but not a very good first impression.. on the second day the room had again the look of just the bed being made there was still a sweet paper that I had missed in picking up .. your staff obviously didn’t pick it up .. on going to the bathroom to use the toilet I had the embarrassment of discovering no toilet paper .. my wife had to go to reception to ask for this . We traveled as a party of 5 .. two couples and a single .. my sisters room who paid £140 for two nights was a far far better room than ours at £165 . The other down side was parking . In the first instance of contact I explained that two of the party had walking difficulties. This was not taken into concideration . I wanted to complain at the time but was talked down by the rest of my party .. but I’m not happy . I’ve stayed at other best western hotels ,sorry to say the red lion didn’t come up to my expectations

Proximity to the center of town

That the restaurant was unable the first night because it had been booked by a masonic group staying at the hotel. The same group had their grand dinner in a function room and because the kitchens could not cope with both the restaurant was again closed. We were not warned of this in advance and only found out when we tried to book a table. Food was available in the bar and lounge.

The staff the feel of the place and the appearance. There is a definite sense of history every where you look. The location is ideal for exploring the city.

In good weather, the public car park round the back of the hotel would be a sensible and simple option for somewhere to leave one's car, but on one of the coldest and snowiest evening of the year I felt like Scott of the Antarctic by the time I arrived at the front door. Not the hotel's fault bit something to be borne in mind!

The hotel, built round a series (?) of courtyards had an old-fashioned charm though much had been sensitively modernised. The breakfast buffet was very good. It is conveniently situated for visiting Salisbury's major attractions.

Shower drain did not empty quick enough therefore the bathroom flooded as soon as the shower turned on. The room was also on a uneven floor so the front door of the room had an inch gap under it, so people could of peeped in. Didn’t feel very private. I room was also right on a stairwell and because of the gap in the door, anytime someone walked there, it woke us up.

Hotel was in a great place

We couldn't open the windows so it was quite warm and stuffy in the room, which stopped my partner from sleeping properly. Although there was an iron in our room, there was no hair dryer!

We lied the big bath and the pretty courtyard.

While the bed was very comfortable, it was against the wall so the person on the inside had to crawl in and out.

Very central. We didn’t use the restaurant but had fabulous afternoon tea!

See above

The sheets on the bed were too small, slept on the matress the whole night as they did not fit. Not very good for one of the best hotels in salisbury.

The prices in the bar were very, very expensive. I was charged £5.40 for a pint of Becks Vier lager. Across the road in the Cathedral Hotel the same pint was £3.99. BIG difference. Also £15 for a car parking space is nearly double the White Hart up the road.

Everything was good. Staff, room, cleanliness etc.

The food was disappointing. Lamb was chosen by both myself and guest. She returned hers because it was not cooked properly and I returned mine because it was too fatty. whilst we waited for the meals to be returned the chips and vegetables were getting cold. Breakfast was good

Excellent location, large comfortable room and friendly staff

Cannot find a fault

The hotel has been kept beautifully with its temp passé decor. Love the old clock in reception. Buffet breakfast was excellent. Staff very helpful.

A lovely old coaching inn and typical of the older English hotels. Very well run by delightful staff who looked after me with such care. I was comfortable and enjoyed the food. I was trapped in Salisbury for three nights because of snow but enjoyed myself. I surely recommend the Red Lion.

The wifi was very slow and kept stopping. I found it a nuisance as I had need to be in contact with people due to my unexpected stay.

I ended up staying a night at the Red Lion because I was trapped in Salisbury by the exceptionally bad weather (heavy snow which meant I could not reach my home in Dorset). It was a very nice place to be trapped. The staff were exceptionally kind and helpful - in particular the middle aged lady (sorry I don't know her name) who was on the reception desk.

The waitress at breakfast tried to double charge me for a breakfast already paid during the check in,the first day of my stay. But the issue was resolved by the reception straight away.

Stuck in Salisbury due to the snow, I was trying to find a place in walking distance from work. This hotel, except the very good price,had also very positive comments so I thought to give it a go. Oh my God. I thought I was given a suite... The hotel itself seems to be the first building in England actually made to be a hotel. In the room I was given,parts of the old walls were visible behind a glass. It was stunning! The bed was from carved wood. A real piece of art. The rest of the furniture,even though new,they were made to look vintage and the whole room had an air of luxury. The bathroom was spacious,with a beautiful bathtub. Sadly,the cold and the ice damaged one of the pipes and I suddenly found the bathtub full of water. But the staff couldn't be more nice and helpful,moving me to another room immediately. The new room was even bigger but in a modern style. The hotel is spotlessly clean and the room offers whatever someone can possibly need. Toiletries,iron and ironing board, hair dryer, kettle,coffee and tea. The breakfast was delicious. And endless variety of fruits,pastries and full English. The restaurant,where I had dinner both of nights of my stay served really nice food. The hotel is overall a great value for money. And I will definitely stay again!

Unfortunately, purely because of the unfriendliness of the staff, the whole experience was marred... Wifi non-existent - my son was told the wifi doesn't work with Apple Macs?!

The summary of the overall review score is: pleasant - this must be a booking.com computer generated word, I wouldn't use that word!

The bathroom in our room was shocking. It was up a couple of stairs near the bed and it was such a contrast to the room. It looked like it belonged to an institution. It wasn't clean, it stank. The towels stank and were ancient. The shower was dodgy and the tiles were mouldy. It gurgled in the middle of the night.

The hotel has an old world charm and its set around a very lovely old courtyard. It's public areas are smart and comfortable featuring some great antique furnishings. The staff were all excellent. The tea and coffee making facilities in the room were great.

The bedroom radiator seemed to be stuck on high heat setting, so we had to open a window to lower the temperature. Conversely, the bathroom was freezing cold.

Very attractive building, full of character. Very restful lounge area with open fire, and tea/coffee service running. Superior double room had plenty of space and a large comfortable bed.

Rooms were really stuffy even after turning off the radiator. Couldn't open the window due to excessive noise. Got woken up at 3am as a club was closing just outside the window, wasn't aware there was a night club basically below the hotel. Water pressure was appalling, basically a dribble of water for a shower

Bed was lovely, nice staff when I got their attention. Clean room, tea coffee facilities were great. Bathroom and towels lovely and clean

Super comfy beds. Brilliant location in the centre - walking distance to everywhere we needed. We were told parking was £15 a day so opted to park at Wilton park and ride which charged £4 for 2 adults and 2 teenagers to get into town. Just a couple of minutes walk to the hotel from where we were dropped off. Perfect!

Shower pressure very poor. Good temperature, but a very large shower head fitted that was a complete waste with such low water pressure. Parking is a little distance away in a public car park, it's a bit of a pain that your vehicle is not much closer, or even under cover at the hotel, especially when raining.

All areas were clean. Staff at breakfast were attentive, Laura at Reception was a delight.

En-suite clean but in need of refurbishment. Sink basin cracked, shower door did not close properly. A bit tired....

Staff were great, room was comfy and the meal we had in Vine restaurant superb.

Rooms were noisy till 11.00pm after they turned the music off downstairs and no double glazing so you could here the people leaving after 11.00pm room was overlooking the courtyard.

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

The night receptionist on the night of 3rd feb needs a gold star for how he handled letting us into the hotel after closing the main door. True gentleman.

Worst night's sleep I've ever had in an English hotel. Incredibly noisy. Bar just beneath hotel rooms. Inner courtyard with people shouting all night (I mean ALL night... from 8pm to 6am). Noisy inner doors with people walking and shouting all night. After hours of interrrupted sleep, at 5am I had had enough - I called reception to ask them to tell the people in the courtyard to be quiet, but there was not much improvement. Horrendous night overall.

Maybe car parking was difficult! Long stay multi storey is available but pay and display!

The hotel is very central to Salisbury. Lovely old building which has character. Nice spacious room which was very clean.

Having to leave by 11 am would be good to extend to 12.00

We love the attitude of the staff it was friendly and very welcoming. We will visit again very soon. Every room is unique and interesting

No fridge in the room. Shower was too hot and lacked pressure. The bar was unattended twice when we went for drinks and so we went elsewhere. Some staff could be more friendly and helpful.

The hotel premises is stunning and full of charm! Buffet breakfast was very good albeit pricey relative to other providers in town. Bed was very comfy. Dawn, the reception manager was very good to deal with, as were the house keepers.

• Loft Suite

I can only describe the evening meals over x mad as strange , I stayed Boxing Day night , my parents all over xmas ! There was food it just didn’t make sense with the accompanying food ! Breakfast was good to be fair though

The room / suite was large and comfortable , what I would expect from this rating

The Festive fare meal on Christmas Eve was poor. Why serve chicken when most people will be eating turkey or some other fowl the next day? My cheese and onion tart pastry was very hard and the filling almost non-existent and served with massive carrots and parsnips "plonked" on the plate. Also the chocclate tart pastry was very hard too. I didn't finish either plate of food.

Special shout out to Stuart in the bar who served us when we got back from the midnight service. Cheerful and helpful. Thank you

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

There’s the possibility to reserve a parking spot for a fee as I did, but I would have liked to be informed that there’s a massive car park just next to the property.

The property is just amazing! The little courtyard and the fireplace and the maze to get to your room.. it has that typical British charm which I love. The staff contributed to create this charm.

Our room was not ready upon arrival at 2.50pm we were finally offered an alternative room at 3.50 which we had to reject due to holes in walls and bathroom door handle not fully attached to the door. We were told they had been very busy the night before and housekeeping was behind. We eventually got into our originally booked room, around 4 pm, which was very nice, and spotlessly clean. The Staff really tried their best but Management should have known they were busy and resourced themselves accordingly. We requested a review of our room charges and upon check out a reduction of £20 was made. Outside of the hotel's control was the Street noise through to 4 am in the morning with drunks, shouting and vomiting in the street. We were so exhausted we checked out by 09.15 and went and got breakfast elsewhere. Again the Reception staff were very helpful and were clearly coping in an under resourced situation.

We arrived for prebooked table at the bar for supper at 21.00 hrs and told the kitchen closed at 9 so they could not serve us food we had no prior warning of this. So after a very long delayed journey towards an ancient coach inn/hostelry this was not the attitude expected. On persuasion the staff relented only on the basis of room service. Parking was booked as we were advised, but had to block others to get in. We were shouted at by an annoyed customer when moving the car out of the way for them next morning- not nice. Next evening when we returned to park we sustained damage to our car due to so little room to park in the remaining space. The base of the wall protruded, looked as though many previous people had had the same problem as the base had a plastic cover but this did not prevent damage. This will be costly to us in time and money to repair. We were very upset and will not be staying at the Red Lion again because of these things.

Position

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

I was not told when I booked that my room was directly above a party. The whole room vibrated with the noise and I was told there were no rooms to swap. I could not sleep when I wanted to. It blighted the stay , which was a shame. I should have been given the chance to change. Other than that the hotel was fine. The staff were friendly but were not able to help.

I liked the location, very central and the lounge and bar were very smart. The room was ok too but a bit expensive.

• Reviewed: 12 December 2017

• Loft Suite

I booked the seamstress suite as it was our wedding anniversary and it had a bath in the room, the taps didn't work and no water came out so we were unable to use the bath which is the whole reason I booked the room.

• Reviewed: 12 December 2017

On the first night the shower didn't work , the basin taps didn't work THe hairdryer didn't work and when we requested one to be brought to the room it never came

Not a lot of good vegetarian choices on the bar menu....lasagne and stuffed potatoes being the main ones. Milk and shampoo in the room were not refilled for the whole of our four day stay. Shame that the lovely courtyard is a designated smoking area....spoils the ambience.

Loved the history...can put up with a lot when the building is historic....the history of this building is very well preserved and displayed. Breakfast service staff were very helpful.

room could've been bigger....plumbing could be a bit less noisy (coughing and spluttering-no hot water in shower)

lots of charm and character...........

The shower in my room was not working probably as it not even a trickle of hot water coming out. There seemed to be a water pressure issue. The hot water for the bath was only luke warm and seemed to take forever to fill up

love the location very central , staff were very pleasant

Decoration looks a little tired and in need of an upgrade. Paint peeling off window frame and above shower in my room. Window didn’t shut properly so more noise from outside than I would have expected

Very central location. Rooms were clean and comfortable. Nice breakfast with plenty of choice, and staff all very pleasant

Location of room on the High St proved Very noisy from Sat night revellers. (Understandably not the hotel's fault) Water from the Hot tap, Not 'Hot' at all, ran a bath and gave up waiting for it to get any hotter! Pillowslips smelled of Damp washing when dried indoors. Felt the almost 'transparent ' blind in the bathroom was insufficient covering on the window that faced the high st. Should have been thicker. Breakfast could have been warmer, (and included in the price!) and wished there was another choice of style of eggs appart from Scrambled. There needed a mirror by the desk/dressing table?

The staff were pleasant and helpful. Bed was comfortable and great sized room. Great location. Car park nearby and voucher system worked well.

Staff ignored me at first to busy on computer Hotel overpriced for whats on offer, I travel alot both in and outside London and this is poor in terms of facilities, service and quality.

Lots of character in this hotel

Our room (90) was unpleasantly cold, as was the corridor leading to it. The equally cold bathroom had a lingering smell of drains. Car parking (for six cars) was very cramped, requiring much shunting; the situation was not made any easier by the presence of piles of building materials.

Convenient location

• Loft Suite

Poor arrangements on arrival. Incorrect room booked and overcharged initially. Room had odd smell, heaters dangerously positioned near wooden doors, shower lacked water pressure.

Parts of room needed refurbishment, eg wash basin was cracked. No instruction on use of shower. Due to small size of car pak i had to reverse out onto a busy road.

Service was attentive but not intrusive; food excellent quality. Hotel was comfortable and housekeeping excellent. Car parking was a bonus. Location was a real bonus right in the centre of everything but no real problems with noise.

The history of the place being included on the information sheet made me take particular interest in certain aspects of the hotel. Lovely quiet rooms. A relaxing bath to start the day. A lovely selection of drinks in the room. All the staff we met were very pleasant.

The building is older, but nicely renovated. The hallway is a bit winding and narrow.

Quaint older hotel in the center of Salisbury. Friendly staff. Coffee and tea service in the room.

Bed could have been a little bit better. Carpet was tired. Shame I couldn't get any sort of food late at night, was working in the city, got back at midnight, had hoped to at least find a sandwich or packet of crisps

The hotel itself was beautiful Staff were lovely.

No hot water on arrival until the following morning. Lights in bathroom had fused so had to shave and shower in partial darkness. Constantly had to harass reception to get bar service. The waiter in the bar did not have a clue how to serve a gin and tonic.

A large and comfortable bed.

The bar staff were never there had to go looking

Breakfast was vast and fresh receptionist was extreamly helpfull nothing was too much trouble and she got things sorted top class

I am disabled. Although there was a lift there were 2 short flights of stairs (3/4 step) with no handrail to get to room. We had to make the hotel aware of our request for parking space, room near lift and breakfast.

Excellent breakfast choice.