Reviews of Birches Guest Lodge

9.8

9.8

9.7

9.7

Exceptional value for money at £45 for a single person including in the price was a very nice breakfast. I was arriving late so phoned the hotel and the owner was really helpful. The room was really spacious, clean, and well decorated. The bathroom had a nice bath and shower. Good Wi-fi In nice grounds

Nothing, there were no negatives.

The location - close to motorways but I a quiet road. Breakfast was incredible and so much to have we left and needed a nap. The facility were absolutely amazing, great care has clearly gone into everything here.

Not applicable.

Attention to detail was impeccable. Very clean. Very comfortable. Very friendly. Information about local amenities and the opening hours were to hand. Invited to bring food in and eat on the premises. Food rubbish bag provided in bedroom as was an (unnecessary) hot water bottle! The sound proofing completely shut out the sound of the nearby motorway. Every item on the traditional breakfast was perfectly cooked, hot and nicely presented. Each piece of fruit in the medley was fresh and unblemished. I could go on but I don't think I need to.

It was a little disconcerting that there was nobody available to meet us on arrival. just written notes for every message. We had no sat - nav and nobody was answering the phone so we had to guess the directions. Luckily it was very easy to find.

The hostess was very pleasant when we met at breakfast, also the staff. A very pleasant house in a nice rural location close to the motorway. Excellent breakfast too. The cat that was determined to get into the house was amusing as the request to NOT allow it to get in was very emphatic!

• Triple Room - Ground Floor

I did not like the self-admission system on arrival with keys being left in an envelope at reception. I saw or heard no-one until the next day. I did not feel it was a warm or welcoming experience although the info pack in the room was adequate. The cooked breakfast was well cooked but I felt the ancillary fruit, juice and yoghurt (no plain or low-fat available) was not very exciting. Once again here as in other places the bread on offer for toast was thin supermarket slices and I would have welcomed some of the more interesting rustic wheaten or soda breads that Ireland is known for. I have been in the same business for many years and although there was nothing I could say was 'wrong' the experience to me felt rather sterile. The rural location whilst convenient for the main road is not close to a town with much to offer in the way of entertainment

My ground floor room was spotlessly clean, comfortable and had views over fields and a French door to the grounds. The breakfast I had was well cooked and timely and the breakfast room was light and airy. Parking was easy and the property easy to find with sat-nav. The instructions I received by phone were also accurate and easy to follow. The following morning Cathy who served breakfast was cheerful and helpful and I would have wished she had been there on arrival.

no complaints was well looked after.

breakfast very good, staff very helpful, room nice and big with clean and spacious bathroom, would recommend and return there in the future.

The toilet was too high but I'm only 5ft, so can't be helped :o)

Loved everything about our stay at Birches. Everything you might need was thought about and more!!! They should go on 4 in a bed, I'm sure they'd win!

Supposedly my card didnt authorise to hold the room but no body contacted me until about 3 hours before we were to check in even though i had booked two weeks prior. Thankfully they had a room left and took full payment off the same card over the phone so me and my fiancee had somewhere to stay on our anniversary. The only issue was that two other guest had problems paying as they checked out so i think it was an issue with the birches guest lodges card machine and not my card as the staff would make u believe.

The room was nice and clean. The breakfast was tasty. It seemed good value for money.

There was nothing to complain about.

It was away from the hustle but close to get dinner. The staff were really accommodating and the facilities including breakfast were top notch.

• Triple Room - Ground Floor

The accomodation was amazing, very modern and everything seemed to have been thought of to make it a very comfortable stay. The rooms were very spacious and the dinning room was well laid out. The staff were very helpful.

The coffee not brilliant And I think they should have facial tissues in the room

The location is good the place is very clean and excellent condition staff were very friendly polite helpful I would stay again no problem In my opinion better then some 3/4 star hotels Brilliant breakfast

• Triple Room - Ground Floor

Birches was a friendly place, nothing was too much trouble. It was clean and had a great location. It had everything you could want at a guest house. And I can recommend the full Ulster breakfast.

Such a comfortable and welcoming guest house. i love the little touches, like the clear information folders in each room, advising where you can order food on delivery. Plates and cutlery are available and you can use the fridge if desired. these are touches I haven't seen elsewhere and really make you feel welcome. The room was spacious and immaculate. The king size bed was so comfortable

• Triple Room - Ground Floor

Lovely surroundings and very quiet (car essential). Our room was spotless and opened onto a terrace overlooking fields. Smart dining room. We only had the continental breakfast but could have paid a £3 supplement for (what looked like) an excellent cooked breakfast. Very friendly and helpful staff. We would definitely stay again. They are happy for guests to use the local takeaways (brought in or delivered)

All was great

Fantastic B&B. Beautiful Rooms with all that was needed. Big room. Very comfortable bed..so comfortable I fell asleep instead of writing a speech. Breakfast was excellent. Staff were very friendly. Hotel did not do Evening meal but all were welcome to bring food and eat at the table in the restaurant or the room. Really enjoyed the place!

Price including breakfast did not include breakfast. No staff on duty when i arrived at 8.30. Just an envelope on desk with keys and a sign saying do not let the cat in... Booked a rate of £42 INCLUDING BREAKFAST but they charged me for breakfast twice... because i had porridge as well as cooked breakfast.

Initial price booked......

• Triple Room - Ground Floor

Not sure if it just happened to be the one day we stayed there but on the evening of our arrival, there wasn't a single member of staff (or at least appeared to be) on site. Room keys were all in named envelopes in a basket on the front desk so it made me a bit wary of the security. The radiators were also on the entire night which made the room a little stuffy. There was also no ventilation system in the bathroom so it made it really steamy after showers.

Everything were neat and tidy when we've arrived. Room was big and pleasant to stay in. The buffet breakfast had a great selection and hot meals were also available for very cheap (£3 per person). Our room had direct access to the garden and parking spaces were free and plentiful.

Brilliant breakfast layout, lots of options if you had continental breakfast.. cereals, fruit, yoghurt, cheeses, breads etc.. the croissants were just yummy. We paid the £3 for the cooked breakfast option & we were thrilled as it was cooked to order, very generous & yummy..

Spiders, seemed to be a lot of small spindly ones in the room and a huge one on the bathroom ceiling which put me off having a shower

Clean, comfortable, biscuits in room. Large mug and teapot provided. Good variety of continental breakfast. Staff lovely.

it is a little out the way but you will have a car and it is so quiet and peaceful. only a few miles to food and drinks. ideal as it is close to the main road, but far enough away to be quiet.

this is not a guest house it is a boutique hotel and the staff are fantastic, the cleanliness is excellent. the breakfast is one of the best i have had and i stop in lots of hotels. i cannot rave about this hotel enough and the next time i am anywhere near the North i will book here. love this hotel, thanks to the great team that run it. amazing value for money, you have to book to stay here.

• Triple Room - Ground Floor

A great B & B. Beautiful room. Friendly people and good breakfast. Very convenient for travelling to or from Portadown area via M1. In pleasant surroundings.

Nothing!!!

Birches lodge was the best accomodation that I have ever stayed at,and I have been all over the world,including many cruises. Spectacular to say the least,and exceptional value for money

• Reviewed: 15 June 2017

We stayed in a family room with patio doors to a sit out area, a big plus. (Large communal sitting room also available ). Had the option of taking breakfast to our room.

• Reviewed: 7 June 2017

• Triple Room - Ground Floor

The property is easy to find, being handily located 2 minutes off M1 and is half hour travel to Belfast, The facilities were excellent and the choices at breakfast were superb. I can not recommend the Birches any higher and you certainly get value for money.

• Reviewed: 13 May 2017

• Triple Room - Ground Floor

I forgot my hair conditioner an there wasnt any there. everything else was very good.

lovely fluffy towels which were nicely displayed on the beds. double doors opening onto little graveled area, [ we were ground floor at the back of the house]. Good supply of coffee and tea in the room. Bottled water and very nice biscuits. Not your usual thin cardboard types!

Place was spotless, staff lovely and breakfast delicious. It was so easy to reserve online and pay on departure. Have stayed in higher rated hotels that were nowhere near as luxurious as this.

• Reviewed: 3 March 2017

Couldn't Recommend This Place Enough, The Rooms Where Spotless & Service Was Exceptional. The Breakfast Was Excellent & Staff Very Friendly! Would 100% Stay Again. Short Taxi Ride Into Centre Of Portadown For Nice Evening Out.

• Reviewed: 3 February 2017

There was no one there to greet me when I arrived and I did not see any one on reception for the fist day I was there. I wanted some normal milk but there was no one to ask. It was not very clear on the form that was left that a cooked breakfast was £3.00 extra. The toilet seat was stained yellow/orange at the front.

Room was nice by quiet noisy at times but it was not a problem.

• Reviewed: 17 November 2016

Nothing at all.

Absolutely lovely guest house, unbelievable value for money for the price. Cooked breakfast was best I've had in a long while & only additional £3. Some of the large chain hotels could learn a lot !!

• Reviewed: 3 November 2016

• Triple Room - Ground Floor

The house is beuitfully presented with large rooms and is spotless throughout. We didn't have time for breakfast so they gave it wrapped up in foil to go, which I thought was really nice of them.

• Reviewed: 13 September 2016

Very impressive interior and facilities.Room was beautifully presented with patio door to landscaped garden area. Visited many b&bs but this was by far the best. Amazing value and welcoming,helpful staff.Great location for visiting surrounding area. Looking forward to next visit !

• Reviewed: 4 September 2016

The only thing that could improve the room is a powerpoint near a mirror for using a hairdryer.

The whole experience at Birches was first class. The place was well-equipped and immaculate. The dining room was beautifully set out for a fantastic buffet breakfast. Everything was beautifully presented as well as delicious, and every little detail was covered.

• Reviewed: 16 August 2016

If I must pick nits; Unless attended, the doors close loudly. There are dampers (the doors take a long time closing), but give out too soon, resulting in an unfortunate slamming. A 5pm check-in seemed a bit inconvenient, but as I found, a phone number is provided at The Birches web site for texting a request for an earlier check-in. That's it. Trivialities all.

The B&B operations manual must somewhere state that an intrusive host is required. If that's something a traveler can do without, The Birches is a gem of a B&B. The amenities one expects are all there, the guidance a potentially overbearing host provides is clearly written in the room's brochure and in tasteful signage throughout the gorgeous accommodations. Voila - the best of B&B and hotel in one. All aspects of my experience at The Birches rise to my highest expectations. The bed and the breakfasts are excellent. I was pleased to find the pricing is brilliantly flexible, too. The very reasonable room rate is offered without breakfast with a discount, or (and this was my easy choice) one may upgrade from a generous continental breakfast to a menu of appetising hot breakfast options for a very reasonable few quid. The irresistible choice for me was the full Ulster fry, it was equal to any other, and better than most. The room was clean and tidy. Welcoming touches include mirthfully arranged towels, cloths and high-quality washing product. The expected tea, coffee, and accoutrements are all at hand. A personable touch is the fresh real milk in the communal fridge, which guests may use for their food and drink items. The dining area is bright with natural light and very roomy. The continental breakfast choices are plentiful and nicely laid-out. The juice is very fresh and cold, and I loved the nice glasses provided for same. The croissants were perfection. Believe it or not, I am not easily pleased with travel accommodations. The Birches simply provides everything a guest requires, niceties above and beyond, and beautiful surroundings and that's rare enough. The staff are expert at hospitality and attentive. They even provided a fan on request. The "fifth-star" if you will is that there is no intrusion on guests space and time by your host. Something that tends to get out of control and simply grates.

• Reviewed: 14 August 2016

• Triple Room - Ground Floor

On arrival we were early we were offered tea and toast and the room was done extra quick for us staff very friendly nothing to much trouble would stay again.

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

This was a real oasis of calm&luxury.we were so pleased with everything about our stay.we were greeted like old friends,and given great directions on how to get to our friends party.the room was lovely&the breakfast was delicious.added bonus was the opportunity to eat in our room&access to fridge/microwave etc downstairs.we will definitely be back!

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

nothing!! what's not to like in a place that is reasonably priced, good parking, ultra clean, modern, and nothing is a problem for them to solve.

everything!! one of the best guest houses, or even hotels we have stayed at, you cannot fault this place and the pair of us can be fuss pots at times

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

Accommodation of a very high standard. All most efficient, welcoming and friendly. Assistance was given concerning local area. Food was good and plentiful. Full Irish was most enjoyable. Room amenities were comprehensive.

• Triple Room - Ground Floor

This is a superior property with high standards of furnishing and attention to detail. Good insulation prevented noise problems from the nearby motorway (although we did have a room at the rear of the building) and our room was always beautifully warm. The included continental breakfast was of a high standard and beautifully presented. A cooked option was available for a very reasonable £3. A fridge, with milk included, was available for use in the public area, as was a microwave oven.

• Reviewed: 26 July 2016

If we had more free days we wished to stay more some days.

The room was very clean and big with all we needed. And if not, we get that from very friendly staf.

• Reviewed: 16 July 2016

Absolutely nil nothing not to like☺

This accommodation derserves 5+ rating. Superb facilities beautiful double room wonderful bathroom. Our room had rural views and we even got up to cows in paddock in morning. Dining area beautifully fitted out. Whole decor stunning but homely. Breakfast was amazing and cooked to order. Wonderful array of cereals/fruit/yogurts to start. Staff were amazing and friendly. The only con a little out of the way but well worth the effort. We will go back on our next trip.

• Reviewed: 4 July 2016

Nothing could have improved our stay, we were very pleased with everything.

Extra comfortable bed and spacious room. Very friendly and welcoming staff. Quiet and peaceful. Lovely breakfast, lots of variety

• Triple Room - Ground Floor

You would have to drive or get a taxi to the town.

Great staff, value for money and very clean.

• Triple Room - Ground Floor

The excellent facilities and the great breakfast The staff are lovely and easy to talk too

Modern and clean, spacious room and well furnished bathroom Excellent breakfast

• Triple Room - Ground Floor

Everything was spot on- couldn’t fault it

Clean comfortable and good staff

• Triple Room - Ground Floor

Everything provided to make you feel comfortable, great place, lovely people

Nothing I didn't like

Friendly, welcoming, spotless, overall excellent guest house, would recommend 100%

No dislikes

Room was cosy warm spotlessly clean and very comfortable

Warm cosy clean

• Triple Room - Ground Floor

The staff was amazing food was excellent and the room was very clean and lovely looking out onto the countryside 👌👍

The overall experience was great, the bedroom and bathroom was nice and clean, the bed was nice and comfy, will use again

More than one option for breakfast, tried 3 and all were excellent.

The food is local and fresh, the croissants are amazing, bed very comfortable, room warm and lots of natural light with great view

Bed was comfy

There was nothing that I can honestly say I didn’t like

The atmosphere, and cleanliness

Great porridge with honey, cream and red berries.

Staff very friendly,breakfast excellent,room very spacious and comfortable.

Location suits distance from work.

Very clean, great staff good breakfast do stay here often and it never disappoints.

immaculate

Love this B&B. Clean comfortable great staff. And the Breakfast is the best.

Long black hairs in bed. I am blonde.

Big room, nice staff, comfy bed.

Nothing. All really good

Very clean and comfortable. Nothing too much trouble. Great breakfast

Spotless

quiet silence close to town

Lovely rooms, great breakfast. Staff was friendly and very accomodating.

Spotless clean, modern, well appointed and comfortable

Nothing everything was 100 out of 198

Took breakfast on my first visit beautiful. Had to be on the road early.

• Triple Room - Ground Floor

Super nice hotel, very fluffy pillows, luxurious feeling (not outrageous) for a very affordable price

• Reviewed: 20 August 2017

it was my second time in this place and I will definitely come back!!!

Great breakfast

• Triple Room - Ground Floor

Very remote location, far from shops

Everything was perfect

It was a beautiful. The breakfast was beautiful. Staff was very nice.