Reviews of Blazing Donkey Country Hotel 3 stars

Hay Hill, Ham, Sandwich, CT14 0ED, United Kingdom

#13 of 15 hotels in Sandwich

• Double or Twin Room with Garden View

A very enjoyable stay. Location suited our requirements though might not suit everyone as out in the country a bit. Facilities excellent and would not hesitate to stay there again

• Luxury Four-Poster Suite with Garden View

Difficult to find if you don't rely on Sat nav, definitely a remote countryside location.

Quaint location, lovely building with impressive bridal suite. Recently redecorated to a very high standard.

• Deluxe Double Room with Garden View

The bed was a little lumpy (springs gone) I stayed in room 15 or 17 That is my only criticism but it did not hinder my stay.

Over all a great little place to stay if you like a bit of peace and quiet. I stay in a lot of hotels and this one was very good.

All Good

We enjoyed our stay the two young men serving was excellent I think it was Luke and I cannot remember the other young man's name but they were very helpful Breakfast was very Good

• Double or Twin Room with Garden View

Room was smelly. Moist! Breakfast was very bad organised. We were waiting for more than 1 hour the first day (that night until 2AM wedding party) and the staff seemed tired. Next day same problem and the third day again. Thus, it was NOT the wedding party, they just cannot organise a breakfast for 2 to 10 people. Help yourself Breakfast buffet is strongly advised. Beware for wedding parties in the weekend !

Beautiful set amidst the countryside. Singing birds all day.

• Double or Twin Room with Garden View

The apartments are designed as 'stables' in context with the hotel name but they are a little tired and the bathrooms are not luxurious. But it was the party noise that had the biggest impact on us. We were unable to relax or rest so threw in the towel. We asked for a refund and drove 3 hrs home on the Saturday night after a difficult conversation with the hotel manager

This is a great location close to Dover and Deal. The hotel appears to be a quiet place for a weekend retreat but unfortunately they are trying to maximize their income by running weddings and parties in the central area this means that there is a conflict of interests; those wanting a quiet retreat and those wanting to party until 2:00am

• Executive King or Double Room

-Had to pay an extra £50 for them to pullout and make up a sofabed for a 3 year old, it was so uncomfortable she couldn't sleep in it. -Hotel over priced. -Rooms are tired and smell stale. - Waited over 30mins for tea & coffee for breakfast. Food basic. - No water at breakfast. - Attitude of staff was rude and unhelpful - No wifi in rooms as advertised - Couldn't get the kitchen to make a meal or even a sandwich for my child in the evening as we didn't book a table in the restaurant.

• Double or Twin Room with Garden View

Our only criticism was breakfast. The food was great but they were understaffed. It would have been good to have a breakfast menu and the organisation could have been better as they had run out of coffee, milk, bowls and pastries. It would have been good to have butter and sauces on the table as they were understaffed and absolutely run off their feet. It was at no fault of the staff as they tried their hardest to cater for your needs and were very accommodating.

Staff were very welcoming and accommodating. They work extremely hard, Luke and Adam were extremely helpful and offered fantastic service despite being run of their feet at times. The evening meal was most enjoyable. Great location and clean, comfortable room.

• Luxury Four-Poster Suite with Garden View

Nothing not to like the venue was outstanding

Friendly pleasant surroundings and staff Beautiful location well kept venue and rooms Nothing to much bother for staff Food and service excellent

• Double or Twin Room with Garden View

Under staffed. The staff were run ragged which impacted on service. Sian deserves a special mention for her amazing smile and attendance to customer service Room was stuffy and it was difficult to sleep. Double bed was two singles clipped together which really isn't the same.

Beautifully situated and quirkily styled. Easy to check in. Dinner was amazing. Cheese menu is well worth a look.

• Deluxe Family Room

Full length mirror in the living area. Better ventilation in the bathroom (steamed up a lot).

Very friendly and plenty of space. Restaurant very flexible to accommodate our children dietary requirements (chef made custom dishes).

• Economy Double Room

I felt the bedroom that we had could have done with some TLC. - Holes of the shower handles were plugged therefore not allowing pressure water to come through - When we arrive the room was smelling of humidity / fungus - Tiling grout was tired and showing black mold - we felt that the breakfast was expensive

The location was wonderful in term of scenery, peacefulness. The overall outdoor was well kept and offer nice outdoor sitting area during our sunny stay.

• Economy Double Room

One of the waiter is very short to the point you feel unconfortable to ask for basic stuff (like poached egg instead of fried at breakfast or butter to go with your toast) it felt like he was always on the verge of exploding with rage. He was definitely under staff but a smile goes a long way! The pressure in the shower was very weak.

The area is pretty and very quiet the garden is lovely to have a drink. The food in the evening was nice.

• Executive King or Double Room

TV didn’t work for first day and night. Needed more staff on as there was a long wait for service. Walls were paper thin, could hear next door chatting. There were aspects of the room that needed finishing, for example holes had been filled and sanded but not painted and were a bit rough around the edges. £12 for one gin and tonic and a lemonade and lime is too dear for this location, that’s more than London prices

The location was ideal for us for traveling. The food in the restaurant was very good. The guy running the front of house was very good (possibly Greek)

• Double or Twin Room with Garden View

Love this place but they really need to employ more staff to cover breakfasts. My first morning at breakfast took ages to get served. One guy on his own trying to serve everyone plus deal with people checking out. Tables were not being cleared or juice topped up. Then another man appeared to help. No offers of more toast or anything else. On my second morning 2 couples actually walked out because they weren't served. One man running around: taking orders, serving & dealing with check-outs. Then when I checked out & breakfasts were done, there was 2 people in reception when all the hard work had been done. The guy serving at breakfast was still working in the evening. I hope they are paying him well....he is a keeper. Come on B.D get your act together.

Good size room, decent shower & comfortable bed. Nice breakfast with delicious sausages & properly cooked eggs.

See above.

Check in neglected to mention that the kettle power point wasn’t working. The only functioning power for the hair drier was nowhere near a mirror. Plus point was the breakfast which was superb. Seems short on staff. The reception and the bar both necessitated a long wait.

• Deluxe Family Room

More staff at breakfast time would have been good, as we did have to keep asking for coffee and other things which ran out. But the service was very friendly.

The breakfast was great, we enjoyed the dinner very much, and it's a very beautiful place, made very cosy by the open fires.

• Economy Double Room

Walls in the chalets very thin. Was kept awake all night by the people next door who were very loud. No fans in the rooms as it was very hot

Beautiful surroundings

• Executive King or Double Room

Got there and I had a standard room but I paid for a upgraded one and with breakfast which they said I didn’t hato show them on my phone and it took approximately 25 minutes to get to my room and next day also got a phone the next day saying my card had declined they tried to take another payment!

• Double or Twin Room with Garden View

The location Long heavily pitted single track road The aragance of the chef The hair in my food The 25 pet charge

I was not made aware of a £25 pet charge Also had a long blonde hair in my sausage from breakfast Staff were lovely

• Double or Twin Room with Garden View

The stay needed to be longer.. But that will be rectified by us.

On arrival I was met by Luke.. Who made me feel very welcome and comfortable. On my two day stay he went above and beyond to look after my needs. The hotel is one of beauty, ambiance and romance. The food was exceptional and the open fire next to bar made the place feel warm and comfortable. Me and my partner will be staying here again as it is just beautiful. I have never need to a place that made me want to come back every day.... Thank you to the team and especially Luke... We will definitely be back shortly.

• Double or Twin Room with Garden View

Called the Donkey to enquire about getting after midnight and was told by Louise that it wouldn't be a problem. On completing my booking I had a call back to confirm everything. On arrival the room keys were immediately available. All staff are very helpful, polite and friendly. The breakfast was excellent and the coffee was . . . wait for it . . . Perfectly fine! Astonishing for a British hotel to actually get coffee right. After we left I had a lovely email thanking me for my booking and informing me of ongoing / forthcoming renovations. The hotel is in a lovely location, the rooms are comfortable and well equipped, with an excellent shower in my room. I can only assume that the work being done to improve the Donkey will make it even more of an attraction.

• Deluxe Family Room

Not enough staff. Any issue was not with the staff it was because they were working alone and serving everyone.

The family room worked for us. Choice at breakfast was good. Really nice touch leaving Easter eggs for the children.

• Deluxe Family Room

The fact that we booked a family room For a night together. Then when we got there we were Told it was under renovation. This should have been addressed by email or phone before we Had left our home 😤

Food /restaurant vg

• Double or Twin Room with Garden View

No faults except we wish we could have stayed longer

Beautifully peaceful escape, out of the way from everyone. The staff were amazing, so kind and so helpful from the minute we arrived to the minute we left. Perfect couples escape. Sitting by the crackling fire after dinner was perfect way to end the evening. We will definitely be coming back.

• Double or Twin Room with Garden View

The only downside was the check out time of 10.30 latest. Would have preferred 11/12 o’clock check out.

Lovely location. Room was very comfortable and toasty. Our first stay here, my partner and I were very impressed. Staff were friendly and welcoming. Will definitely return.

• Comfort Family Room

Would have liked a wider range of food on offer in the restaurant and some less expensive options. Where we were sitting in the restaurant was also a bit drafty, so I was looking forward sitting by the fire after our meal but it had gone out and wasn't re-lit. Unfortunately the walls were paper thin between the rooms and we were woken by guest coming in at 12.30am and laughing and even just talking, we could hear everything.

Good size room and nice and warm, both children had their own bed.

• Deluxe Double Room with Garden View

Overall the room and bathroom were good but it looked a bit ‘tired’. Quite a few marks on walls which need to be painted, wash basin had a crack in it and there was quite a serious leak in the bathroom which needed more than a bath towel to soak it up!

• Double or Twin Room with Garden View

Not that I didn’t like, but the rooms perhaps could have done with an update and redec, for the price though nothing that detracted in anyway of the experience.

The guy on reception, fire, bar, waiter etc, was exceptionally friendly and helpful. The room was warm and comfortable, and the food was very nice. It is very rural and secluded in its location, but only a 10 minute trip to surrounding towns by car

• Economy Double Room

Location lovely bedroom with large bathroom great food lovely garden setting good parking not far to the village of Sandwich & a nearby field of friendly donkeys😀

• Economy Double Room

Only one slice of toast served with breakfast.

Love this place. Good size room & well planned. So many don't have an electric socket near a mirror.

location,

The room was clean, staff were friendly, Location poor as it was remote, to far from anything, also you should explain that you will need transport because of location.

The owner

The stuff was great,However owner did attack me for just asking him there’s no plug in the bath and fleece in the old mattress that eaten all my body 🤧

• Double or Twin Room with Garden View

Lovely accommodation, nice and homely excellent evening meal and breakfast. Wonderful roaring open fire in bar , great stay with special mention to Louise and Luke whos customer service was first class.

• Double or Twin Room - Disability Access

Breakfast tasted horrible and no staff anywhere. Didn’t even get tea or coffee and one member of staff crying as it was too much. Public started clearing tables and my complaint to the hotel went unacknowledged.

Nice room

• Double or Twin Room with Garden View

Leak in sink taps and basin cracked. Bath enamel damaged. Toilet seat did not fit. Towel stuffed behind sink pedestal to mop up leaking taps. Tv wasn't working when we arrived but wa fixed. PAT testing out of date (2015). Spills on carpet and radiator. Overall decor tatty .

• Double or Twin Room with Garden View

Drinks far too expensive! Shower was weak and kept pulsating - not very good. Paint was flaking off and wardrobe doors did not work. Plug sockets very lose and inconsistent (not easily accessible near a mirror either).

• Double or Twin Room with Garden View

The rooms lacked that little bit extra something that makes you think aww and feel at home away from home. E.g. Little shampoos etc. It wasn't very homely. The restaurant/bar was cold and although there was an open fire, it was not lit. The restaurant had a limited menu and the quality did not match the bill. My partner is a chef and we both agreed the food was overpriced for what it was. The cheese board was a mess and had obviously been sat there all day and looked like the locusts had been. The hotel was severely under staffed and quiet with only one member of staff checking people in, working behind the bar, answering enquiries and waiting tables. I felt extremely sorry for him and gave him a tip as he did an amazing job under the circumstances! The soap dispenser in the ladies was empty and the whole place had a general feel of somewhere on the brink of closure or whose management just didn't care enough. I felt that it could be so much more with its beautiful surroundings but it had no warmth or atmosphere. I would love to have visited here and seen it at its best.

The accommodation was good value for money, was cosy, comfortable and clean but basic. The main building and setting is beautiful. Parking was ample and close to accommodation. I liked that the hotel rooms were away from the main building and had their own front doors to outside, a bit like an American motel.

• Deluxe Double Room with Garden View

The bar was poorly stocked, maybe there had been a wedding there as its a popular venue. The staff were not really informative on the wines and the barman didn't know how to take a cork out!! The log fires were made up and ready to go but they refused to light them which was a shame as this would have added to the ambiance of the place. We had to be sat near the radiators when we ate!!

The room was lovely, lovely crisp sheets, and comfy bed.

• Deluxe Double Room with Garden View

Room could have done with an update. Cupboard door was broken and bed wasn't presented as I would have expected. Looked like someone had been laying on top of it.

Nice quiet location.

• Comfort Family Room

Quite minor but the room wasn’t as clean as it could have been (large cobwebs), also our lights didn’t fully work (bulbs gone - we did request that these be changed but nothing happened).

Staff were lovely - the bar setting was very welcoming

• Deluxe Double Room with Garden View

I cannot think of anything that could have been better. The staff were friendly and helpful, the hotel and dining area absolutely lovely.

Loved the location, very handy for Dover. A special mention to chef and the young lady (trainee) who made the desserts - the food was an absolute delight, but the desserts were a dream! Fantastic

• Double or Twin Room with Garden View

Although the staff were fantastic, service in the bar and restaurant was a little slow. I think this could be easily resolved by having an extra person on per shift, as the staff there were rushing around to do their best for every guest. I cannot fault the level of service, but speed needs a little improvement. However, if you’re looking to have a chilled out weekend in the countryside, away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life, speed of service isn’t really an issue.

The staff were extremely friendly and couldn’t do enough for us. Everyone went the extra mile to make us feel welcome and attend to our needs. A fantastic team. The food was beautiful, hats off to the chef! The drinks were plentiful and of great quality, they have a very good wine and spirit range! Which, I was extremely pleased with as I am a gin fanatic! The hotel team had a great product knowledge too, it’s always nice to get a genuine recommendation.

• Double or Twin Room with Garden View

The young waitress at breakfast could not cope with the number of covers she had to deal with. The communal coffee dispenser was empty and when we asked for a replacement it was taken away and never returned. The breakfast took ages to arrive and was lukewarm. The tables were covered with dirty cups, plates etc. so new customers had to clear their own tables. The waitress was so overwhelmed that she burst into tears. We felt so sorry for her. She did her best but it wasn't good enough. They needed more staff or somebody with more experience.

• Double or Twin Room with Garden View

Divan base was stained and bed hard

Bed was very hard and the divan base was badly stained-a valance would have greatly inproved the presentation. Had the window open all night as the room was quite warm. Bar/restaurant areas were lovely and a good breakfast though not a great choice

• Double or Twin Room - Disability Access

Shower not much good. Breakfast a bit mean. Got one large flat mushroom with my "full English" on the first morning. On second morning I asked for 2 mushrooms instead of the tomato but was told the chef gave me a whole mushroom instead of the usual half. It was a smaller mushroom than on the previous day plus I didn't have the tomato. Lovely lady serving but only filling in because of staff shortage so I didn't like to ask for more toast. I'm sure it will improve one you get more staff. Evening meals need more choice or maybe a specials choice. Having said this, I did enjoy my stay

Friendly staff. Nice meal in the restaurant. Lovely rural location..

• Executive King or Double Room

Eggs were not 'easy over' but that's just personal preference.....

Bed was super comfy with lots of pillows and cushions; modern decor and had lovely gardens.... used mainly as a wedding venue and business base by guests..... friendly staff.

• Double or Twin Room with Garden View

Breakfast sounded a bit overpriced so went somewhere else, stuffing a load of food in just to justify the price is not be bag!!!

Lovely stay, no problems, great facilities and great rooms. Everything was first class

• Double or Twin Room with Garden View

we were given key, and found someone else in our room! A double booking and took management an hour to sort out (by moving existing customer). Needs a system at front desk to be sure previous customers have actually left........ We were given drink on the house

easy parking, good big bed, friendly staff, dog friendly

• Deluxe Family Room

There was a wedding at the hotel. We were not told at time if booking. It was loud, noisy and guests did not settle until the early hours which meant that we didnot sleep for most of the night. We had 3 children who also struggled to sleep. We paid off bed and breakfast, told them in check in we would be leaving at 5am but were not offered a take away breakfast. We paid a lot of month for a bad night's sleep, no breakfast and poor water facilities. The water temperature was hard to tegulate, causing spells in hot and cold water whilst you were in the shower. Additionally, we booked via booking.com and realised 5 mins after the booking that the booking was for the wrong date. Rang the hotel immediately and were told they could not cancel the booking and couldn't offer a refund!!!! No family room available on the date we wanted therefore forced to book a second room to accommodate the 5 of us. Ended up paying double for a family of 5!!

• Comfort Family Room

Excellent management, and staff overall. Made you feel very welcome and like you had been before and this was a reoccurring visit. Curtious, caring, went the extra mile in everything they did. The Hotel it's self was and is stunning, booked one night ended up booking another. And will defiently be back soon. Outstanding service by a mile. Will recommend to everyone and anyone.

• Double or Twin Room with Garden View

Manner of the management Breakfast basic Communicating with the hotel erratic Check in arrangements poor and need more staff to meet their obligations.

The wedding was excellent.

• Double or Twin Room with Garden View

The bed was too soft and too low. The site indicated l was going to have a bath in my room and there wasn't. The evening meal was overpriced for what you got and what you got wasn't good.

The view was okay.

• Double or Twin Room with Garden View

Steak very tough my husband had to leave half.I sawed mine into tiny bits.Steak needed a bashing but would stay again .but stay away from steak.also served olives and bread delicious but needed cocktail sticks as very oily.manager needs to be a bit more hands on as only 2 young girls had to do everthing.

Bed very comfortable and large

Staff food service hospitality

Manager Richard is rude. Terrible service... No service for 45minutes to be precise so rather than a beautiful meal we ended up at the local fish and chip bar. We would have waited and had a drink at the bar but they had ran out of beer and the starters we wanted. Management did nothing to help and ruined the whole weekend. Go somewhere else!

• Deluxe Family Room

I booked a family room but my booking was decided into two rooms which is not what I wanted. The staff at the restaurant were inexperienced, and slow. Forgot the order. I left some lost property and contacted the hotel but did not get any reply.

• Double or Twin Room with Garden View

I don't know if there was free wifi or not in the room as there was no welcome pack to say. I had to ask where I needed to go for breakfast as never having stayed there before I wasn't sure how things worked. Also i forgot to ask the times breakfast was served between and again nothing to indicate this anywhere. On the whole a great place to stay and I will go back but I would suggest a welcome pack in each room explaining these things will resolve the issues.

Food was excellent and the room was a great size with plenty of seating too. The staff were all great and if asked for anything were quick to help. The location was set in the countryside away from all the Dover traffic but close enough to take the stress out of the drive.

We had booked a Disabled Access room for my Mother-in-law which was not available when we arrived. As a result she was unable to use the bathroom unaided for the duration of our stay. While the staff were apologetic this was very disappointing, particularly as I made an extra note of the requirement and had paid an additional premium for the Disabled access room. We were also told we could not get a refund for this as all money had already been taken by Booking.com. despite it stating explicitly on the confirmation that payments should be made direct to the hotel on arrival.

Locations was great, staff were friendly and helpful.

• Economy Double Room

Think we ate the donkey for dinner! Owner needs training on how to work in hospitality. Very unhelpful on phone. Dirty towels in toilets to dry hands Room not ready on arrival though asked to pay £25 to have it at 1pm - this was not levied by manager however once we advised him Under staffed. Property in need of TLC. Wifi poor

Grounds pretty. Under staffed but willing staff who must feel undermined by owner's rudeness.

• Economy Double Room

Being told we were not booked in

The staff were so helpful considering Booking.com had taken the booking and money from me sent me a confirmation number but had not actually booked us in the hotel. When we arrived the staff said we were not booked in. They went out of there way to find a replacement hotel but eventually Lucky for us they took a cancellation and gave us that room.

• Deluxe Double Room with Garden View

The fact that we didn't have our own key to our room ☹️

The staff have amazing customer service very friendly and helpful they went out of their way to make sure we had everything we needed and nothing was too much trouble for any of them thank you for making our stay enjoyable we would recommend anyone to stay there 😉

• Deluxe Double Room with Garden View

The breakfast and the lack of beer at bar. They kept running out. The breakfast was appalling . The coffee was dish water, and the lack of choice was awful . We didn't eat breakfast the following day.

• Double or Twin Room with Garden View

the booking was very misleading as it was for a double room which was booked and non refundable but then said only one person was able to stay. i had to pay an additional cost for another person to stay in the room.

• Deluxe Family Room

The young lady on reception and who took our order at the restaurant later on was extremely helpful, polite, knowledgeable about the area and super efficient - a credit to the team. PAY RISE IN ORDER. Please pass this message on. Regards, the Strovers

• Double or Twin Room with Garden View

The room was on the small side - which you'd expect for an old converted building - and had no towels or toiletries. The staff were both competent and friendly but obviously struggling to deal with the admin of guests alongside a weekend wedding, and I think they have quite a lot of weddings... so go equipped with patience if you're there over a weekend.

Friendly staff, stunning views, pretty building, good food. 7-year-old describes it as 'cosy but fancy' and is keen to go back.

• Double or Twin Room with Garden View

The menu didn't seem all too enticing to us, so we didn't eat at the hotel, however the staff helped us find somewhere suited to us

Beds were spacious and the staff were so friendly and helpful and just so lovely. Super romantic place too.

• Deluxe Double Room with Garden View

No internet in the bedroom as advertised.Food average quality at high prices.Drinks absolutely EXTORTIONATE.For example £10 per glass for a mediocre wine.No draught real ale.Other than a 4gallon pin placed on the bar in a cardboard box!!!.Restaurant bill presented on unofficial slip of paper.I had to demand a VAT official receipt.

Our room was fine very nice & comfortable.Lovely outlook.Good car parking.Staff (3 Girls)very amicable.

• Reviewed: 23 June 2017

• Double or Twin Room with Garden View

This was a family wedding . The wedding breakfast was appalling. But accommodation disgraceful have sent pictures an complaint to yourselves.

Putting our case in the car. I would never recommend this hotel to my worst enemy .

• Reviewed: 23 June 2017

• Deluxe Family Room

Everything, Wifi is a bit weak

This is a really nice place. It is old style on the outside and very modern on the inside. A real jewel!! Staff are really friendly!!

• Double or Twin Room with Garden View

Booking.com had failed to book our room despite email confirmation, luckily the staff were so helpful and friendly they sorted the situation within 10 minutes. Bad on you booking.com will be booking direct in future!!!!

• Reviewed: 15 June 2017

• Double or Twin Room with Garden View

Staff is always lovely and helpful ,makes you feel home. Beautiful countryside,excellent choice for a runaway. Its our 4th time returning and will definitely be coming back

• Economy Double Room

I found the narrow country lanes I had to use to get there a bit disquieting and would recommend drivers set out a little earlier to take account of the fact that they will have to slow down for the last few miles of the journey. I didn't initially realise that breakfast wasn't included in the cost of my room so I had to 'upgrade' and pay extra for it, which was disappointing.

The rooms were comfortable, the food superb and the maitre d' (Richard) charming, immensely helpful and very welcoming.

• Reviewed: 2 June 2017

• Deluxe Double Room with Garden View

Breakfast awful..Full breakfast? more like 1/4 breakfast. unsure what meat sausage was and egg was well overcooked....

Stunning property in quiet location. staff very friendly and accomadating..

• Deluxe Double Room with Garden View

We arrived and had difficulty finding the reception. A sign indicated that the building we were entering contained a bar and restaurant so we thought we'd got the wrong building. Having walked round the side, we found the bar. Reception was actually in the restaurant area downstairs to the right (where we'd first gone in). A sign above the reception and outside would be very helpful. We arrived at a difficult time for staff as the manager had been taken ill and gone to hospital. Young staff (who were all lovely)did their best to cope that evening with a very slow kitchen, a broken till and a staff member who hadn't turn up for their shift so I'd feel mean being really critical as it obviously wasn't the best day to judge the hotel, but it did feel we'd arrived at Faulty Towers! On another day, our experience might have been completely different and so I'd give them the benefit of the doubt and visit again as there seemed a lot of potential for a great rather than good stay. Some maintenance issues - the main one being that our door wouldn't lock - it seemed to, but a slight push and anyone could get in without a key - may just have been our door as I didn't check anyone else's! Breakfast could include some chopped fresh fruit and yoghurt but what we had was fine. Would rather have a hair drier than an ironing board.

The setting of the hotel was lovely, in the middle of the countryside and the gardens were very pretty. The food for our evening meal was freshly cooked and well prepared.

• Deluxe Double Room with Garden View

Food and service were very poor although the staff were nice. Room wasn't ready with cot as requested. Bathroom sink had leak and entire room needed a lick of paint.