Reviews of Blorenge House 4 stars

Staplegrove Road, Taunton, TA1 1DG, United Kingdom

#15 of 25 hotels in Taunton

nice friendly and easy place to stay

It is a little bit of an odd place as it is apartments and not really a hotel. The pool is not particularly nice and had rather too much chlorine in it. The breakfast was very average - again staff lovely

The staff here are lovely and the bed is incredibly comfortable - we had a wonderful nights sleep.

Very nice clean tidy room.

Shower was in need of a new head. For nearly £90 the cooked breakfast could have been a little bigger. I’m veggie so I got one Linda McCartney sausage ( bloody awful things) hotel in general was very nice.

Very nice clean tidy room. Gent I spoke with on phone was lovely as was the receptionist when I arrived.

Great overnighter

My poached egg was like rubber and the sloping ceiling meant you couldn't sit up in bed

Location spacious room decent shower with a shelf for toiletries car park friendly staff

Well run hotel

More varied breakfast ie kippers but that been picky. It was a good breakfast, good fruit and cereal selection

Very well run hotel, nice room and bathroom, very friendly staff, good internet available in room especial for an older well built property, every thing clean

Excellent breakfast at this prime location hotel. Excellent service.

The bed was too hard for my liking but it's a personal choice. The cooked breakfast was very good, especially the bacon whilst the poached eggs were cooked to perfection. Everyone we spoke to was very friendly and helpful.

Apartment was very spacious, partly renovated, nice and...
    • Two-Bedroom Apartment

They turn off all heating during the night. Not a nice thing to do in an old house in freezing february. We woke up trembling in the night and since we already had a cold it turned into a fever that kind of ruined the rest of our trip. Wouldn´t recommend it.

Apartment was very spacious, partly renovated, nice and clean.

Full of characcter, comfy bed, would stay again

Room 2... The toilet is far too narrow. I lost the fight with the toilet roll holder. I ended up using the WC in the corridor. it wouldn't put me off staying there again though.

Bed was very comfy. The hotel was delightful. Full of character. Parking great, would definitely stay again.

Very enjoyable stay in quiet, clean well equipped and well positioned appartment.
    • Two-Bedroom Apartment

Bigger, more comfortable sofa(s) in the apartment would be the only improvement needed.

The apartment was comfortable and very clean with everything you could need for a short or long stay. Wifi was great. easy walk to town. Quiet apartment.

The room was very spacious and kids beds were comfortable,...
    • Family Room

Stairs up to the room are VERY steep & narrow - might be a challenge for younger children and was a challenge to our dog who isn't usually allowed upstairs. This wasn't an issue for us but it is not advertised anywhere that there are accessibility issues.

The room was very spacious and kids beds were comfortable, which isn't always the case in a family room

I was very happy overall with the quality of the accommodation and its location

There were no facilities for eating and drinking if we decided to eat in the evening. It would be useful if they could make some plates, cutlery and glasses available

Location was excellent. Within walking distance of the town centre. Beds were firm and comfortable. Staff were polite and friendly

Satisfactory...

Not enough towels or toiletries

The breakfast was sufficient, but really too much money for an overnight stay.... Comfortable bed. Short on teas, coffees etc..

Location great, room not comfortable. Booked for one week. Would not use again.

"Bijou" room for a solo traveller was cramped. Furniture and feeling of room was "worn". Chair provided was a worn but fancy gilt vanity chair about 4 inches off the ground.

Location was excellent. Food was good.

lovely hotel, easy parking

Shower in the room was a bit odd

The staff were very accommodating in setting up the lounge area so we could have breakfast with our pet. Otherwise we would have had to leave our dog in the room.

Friendly staff, excellent facilities

Nothing. Family room at top of house has no real view but we did not stay for view but for close proximity to train station

Wonderful staff and lovely room. Price included breakfast which was cooked as requested. Can not fault staff or facilities.

They were very accommodating for the fact that we checked in...
    • Family Room

We got to the place quite late on both nights and the parking was not easy as the most of the space had already been taken. It could be improved if they put bays in the parking area.

They were very accommodating for the fact that we checked in very late.

A pleasant hotel in a nice area with helpful and friendly staff

The room was compact and it was an attic room (with bag carrying assistance available if required with a sloping ceiling

It was a pleasant older style hotel with nice furniture in a nice part of Taunton

Fantastic

The only thing I didn't like about this stay was it was only for one night. The hotel was amazing and I will definitely return

Normally I do not leave a review after staying somewhere, which is bad I know but this time I felt compelled to. Blorenge House is a must visit to anyone in the area, I cannot rate it highly enough. It is as far away from the bog standard chain hotel as you can get with fantastic staff, excellent facilities, a huge personal touch and a wonderful location. I was checked in by a girl called Louise who was absolutely professional in every sense of the word and showed me to my room, which was just up the stairs but still, took me to my room and opened the door showed me around etc, it really is these little touches that make Blorenge House absolutely amazing to visit. Breakfast in the morning was swiftly seen to with a smile and again lots of effort but not over done on the effort to make you uncomfortable, just perfect. I was after all, at the end of a hiking and camping trip but didn't feel too out of place. After breakfast when I checked out, I was seen to by a lovely chatty chap who enquired after my stay as expected but also showed genuine interest in the rest of my travels and again showed absolute porfessionalism on a friendly and welcoming level.

A pleasant stay despite the noise and the stairs.

The tiny staircase to our room - if we had known that we would need to climb that we would have asked for a room on a lower floor. This should be detailed when booking. I have osteoarthritis in my knees and ankles so it was extremely difficult. Also the pillows need to be softer they were very very hard. We live in a rural location and found the constant noise from outside all night very disturbing.

We liked the ambience, the cleanliness and the room

Location and space of the room was out of this world!
    • Two-Bedroom Apartment

A lift would be useful but it was overall amazing.

The location was one of the highlights of the hotel, it was so close to the centre that you don't need to bring a car. The room itself was also really nice, and has space among the other bedrooms.

Perfect. Wish we could have stayed there longer.
    • Two-Bedroom Apartment

Nothing - all was perfect.

Spacious and light and clean. Beds comfortable. Nice outside area outside our 2-bedroom apartment plus additional areas below with a swimming pool too. Great location, perfect for us as we wanted to be close to town and the cricket ground. The owners and staff were very friendly too. Loved our stay in Taunton.

Shower of $ hite

The shower was awful, a sprinkle even when fully on. The bathroom was the size of a shoe box but when I came to shower there was not enough water to wash the shampoo away. I couldn't believe how bad it was. The temperature was cold despite running it for several minutes. When I went to reception in the morning to complain no one was there. I stay in Taunton regularly as do many others I work with, I'll certainly be avoiding this place.

Gem of a hotel in Taunton

Bigger bed, but it was an antique four poster so you can't have everything.

The bed was a small double, a little snug! Breakfast was great, freshly cooked and good range of items and choices. The pool was a wonderful treat. Staff and proprietors were very helpful and friendly.

A pleasant stay
    • Family Room

Our room at the top of the house was very warm. A bar at the property would have been good

The pool is a real bonus in nice weather. Good central location. Breakfast was more than adequate

• Reviewed: 15 June 2017

Good location for watching Somerset cricket matches.

Room 15 is a good size but the ensuite is small and the water pressure is low. It is an attic conversion accessed by a narrow and steep staircase requiring careful navigation. We wouldn't stay in this room for more than 2 nights.

The room was clean, staff were friendly and the cooked breakfast was good. The location is good for cricket and restaurants listed in the info book in the room.

Excellent town location with very friendly staff

Staircase to room was very steep and narrow and although I managed I suggest older or more infirm people might struggle. The breakfast could have more variety but was sufficient if a little repetitive after 4 days

Decor of whole house was tasteful especially the lounge. The staff and in particular rather owner were very friendly and helpful.

Lovely hotel for long or short breaks.

The scrambled eggs at breakfastnot up to scratch but the rest of the breakfast was good. No bar but plenty in the vicinity so not a major problem.

The hotel was beautifully presented with old furniture I.e. Four poster bed, Chaise, old masters etc and. lovely aura throughout. Nice garden and pool. The service was excellent and nothing too much trouble!

• Reviewed: 26 May 2017

Very easy check in.
    • Family Room

Very warm in our room but it had been a very hot day. Be careful when selecting rooms as I picked x2 rooms with three beds in for my 5 staff and was charged more at check out. When I questioned it I was told I had selected a family room but for single occupancy. Slightly confused why a single occupant would book a family room with 3 beds.

Very easy check in. Modern, nicely decorated rooms and bathroom. Comfortable bed. Out door swimming pool which after a hard day's physical graft in the sun felt amazing. Decent breakfast.

Lovely, friendly venue

Although the shower was fine, a bath would have been nice when I got soaked on the Friday night! It wasn't a major omission, though.

Four poster bed an unexpected luxurious bonus!

• Reviewed: 27 April 2017

Had booked a late arrival, no formality to sign in went...

Car park was a bit muddy however I am sure this will be rectified when work is complete

Had booked a late arrival, no formality to sign in went directly to room. staff excellent and friendly

• Reviewed: 23 April 2017

Very good breakfast

There was a comfortable residents lounge but no bar.

Very good breakfast Beds were very comfortable Location is within walking distance of Taunton town centre Friendly staff

• Reviewed: 23 April 2017

Very please tell stay

Breakfast until 10.30...

Comfy hotel close to town, great for a visit to Taunton. Breakfast finished at 9.30 a little early for us. Friendly staff and wifi free and easy to access 😀

• Reviewed: 13 April 2017

Pretty good

In the hotels book it said the pool was open during April, which was why we went alongside the location, but the staff said it would be open in may which was a bit disappointing.

I loved everything that was avaliable

• Reviewed: 5 February 2017

The room was great being able to open Windows was lovely.

The hash browns and bacon could have been cooked a bit more,the eggs a bit less . Why can't hotels use real bread?

The room was great being able to open Windows was lovely. The mushrooms were great.

• Reviewed: 10 January 2017

Comfortable, quiet and a clean hotel

The bathroom is a bit small, shower is nice. But no place for make up stuffs and other toiletries.

The bed is comfortable is big. The room is very clean.

• Reviewed: 19 December 2016

Not bad, however definitely a 3 rather than 4 star experience

Staff service when requesting an ironing board wasn't the best, and the lady doing breakfast was borderline rude, lacking in any warmth and not interested in providing a good experience to the guests.

Great service at checkin, - the room was immaculate and looked like it had recently been renovated

• Reviewed: 13 December 2016

Excellent location
    • Family Room

We stayed in a family room as there was 3 adults,steep stairs to climb but oh it was worth it, a huge spotlessly clean very comfy room. Breakfast was good the waitress wasn't over friendly but ok. We will definitely stay here again.

• Reviewed: 8 December 2016

Excellent! Great central location...

The room was a bit cold but an electric heater was provided which did help.

The Hot breakfast was good with many other options included as well like croissants and pastries. The room was comfy and clean with good tea/coffee facilities and toiletries all provided for. Good Central location with a walk to the High Street only 8-10mins away and free parking!

• Reviewed: 5 December 2016

We stopped in the family room which was very classy,...
    • Family Room

We stopped in the family room which was very classy, beautifully laid out. The bathroom,though very compact was to a high standard . The beds were extremely comfortable. The staff were very welcoming and always polite and helpful.

• Reviewed: 24 November 2016

Really beautiful and interesting building.

Really beautiful and interesting building. We had a large modern bathroom with our room. Excellent staff. Massive bonus to find out they had Linda McCartney sausages for the veggie breakfast!

• Reviewed: 9 November 2016

Nice place to stay but some improvements needed.

The room was very noisy as a consequence of the team of Sumo wrestlers occupying the room above and a bathroom fan that outdid the average leaf blower. Breakfasts were somewhat limited.

Helpful staff and a clean and comfortable room.

• Reviewed: 8 November 2016

Very nice place to stay, staff really friendly but way too exspensive @ £139 a night
    • Family Room

the fridge in the room making a lot of noise . no double glazing so you can hear all the outside traffic. the water heater making noises at night.

the room layout, the staff

• Reviewed: 2 November 2016

No breakfast before 7.30 am - too late Very expensive for what it offers Top floor bedrooms can only be reached by mountain goats Sparsley occupied so no atmosphere No bar

Nice character building

• Reviewed: 30 October 2016

Historic hotel in centre of Taunton

See Likes.

Lovely building and rooms. All good, although there were only two staff apparently to do everything which gave the impression that they were a bit short-staffed. Not the staff's fault though, as owners were on holiday. Would recommend as a competitively priced b&b/hotel in the centre of Taunton.

• Reviewed: 22 October 2016

Nice Hotel and friendly staff just avoid the breakfast.

The twin beds were tiny... the worst nights sleep ever. I had to stop myself from falling out of bed. The stairs were challenging with a suitcase and not for the unfit. English breakfast - poached eggs were solid. The Croissants and Danishes seemed to be stale - not at all crispy and fresh. Horrible.

Room was lovely. Not far to the Pomegranate Theatre. Staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 7 October 2016

Best accomm we've stayed at in England.

Only minor annoyance, the bathroom door opened into the bathroom blocking the toilet. A bit of manoeuvring required.

Beautiful room. Guest lounge. Location. Friendly helpful & effcient staff. Can't fault.

• Reviewed: 2 October 2016

It looks lovely

Not a lot of privacy where we were in the building, could hear breakfast and lots of people talking from very early. The bathroom fan is having issues where it sounds like a washing machine, we told them as we left but they knew about it, this meant we didn't enjoy the bathroom facilities as we couldn't deal with the awful noise. The bathroom floor was very slippy too.

It looks lovely

• Reviewed: 30 August 2016

Great summer location for local festivals.
    • Family Room

The cooked breakfast left a bit to be desired but the selection of fruit, yogurts, juices and pastries was great.

I wasn't aware there was a pool which was a shame as weather stunning but beautiful garden. Pool not available on Sunday's though! Staff helpful with maps. Tea/coffee plentiful if toiletries a bit low for three people.

• Reviewed: 21 August 2016

Very near to town and all restaurants and bars

As no bar took our own wine beer etc but only plastic glasses in room

Near to town and cricket ground which is what we went for. Rooms were very clean and staff very good

• Reviewed: 14 August 2016

Lovely property in great location
    • Family Room

Average breakfast In our family room at top of house Could hear other person in next door room being sick in his bathroom - not pleasant - had to turn TVs on at .3am to drown out the sound !

Lovely property in great location

• Reviewed: 6 August 2016

Quirky luxury well placed near central Taunton.

Cooked breakfast was generous but if I had to find a tiny fault there wasn't a really nice muesli for a healthy option.

Great four poster bed and plush bathroom. Felt the height of luxury.

• Reviewed: 4 August 2016

Wonderful Hotel - strongly recommended

No complaints whatsoever.

The garden and pool were superb and a great facility. Very enjoyable place to sit on a sunny evening. Breakfast was great too.

• Reviewed: 25 July 2016

Nice stay at Blorenge House
    • Family Room

My rooftop is a bit hot. The staircase is narrow which makes it hard for me to take my bulky luggage upstairs and downstairs.

Big room, clean toilets and shower. Tasty English breakfast served by friendly and polite staff. The common living room downstairs is classic and beautiful. Staff are helpful.

• Reviewed: 24 July 2016

Business visit to Taunton.

Thought it was expensive. Room was in attic, small so very hot and overpriced.

Visited on a hot day so the pool was amazing to rest/work by. Staff are great, reliable and attentive.

Blorenge House , charming and comfortable

Lovely staff, relaxed environment, great outdoor pool

Excellent friendly staff

Very hot, aircon would have been lovely

Excellent friendly staff

An excellent stay.
    • Family Room

My second visit in recent weeks, so much nicer than staying in one of the chains. It has the added bonus of being very central.

loved the atmosphere and proximity to the town

loved the atmosphere and proximity to the town

Convenient to town center and our family

Convenient to town center and our family

A pleasant stay which we wish could have been longer.

Lovely place to stay, beautifully furnished and close town centre.

Very enjoyable

My single room was very small and the shower was not well designed.

Very helpful staff

Staff were extremely helpful, room had an excellent view.

Staff were extremely helpful, room had an excellent view. Hotel was just a short walk from the town centre.

No air conditioning and on a hot day this was not good.
    • Family Room

No air conditioning and on a hot day this was not good.

Very comfortable and had everything we needed. Good breakfast too.

Didn't know there was no bar.

Good attention to detail. Super room

The room was very big and clean
    • Family Room

Very steep steps to the room

The room was very big and clean

Bed was comfortable and friendly staff.

Bathroom was not clean and cooked breakfast was cold unfortunately

Bed was comfortable and friendly staff.

Great location, pet friendly, great room

Pillows were too hard for us

The location was brilliant right near the town centre and room was lovely

Lovely place,disappointed with taunton couldn't take kids in pubs after 7 and was nothing else round
    • Family Room

Would be better with a bar

Fresh bright and clean and very roomy

Fab hotel do not stay anywhere else in Taunton

Staff super helpful

The massive four poster bed in room 9 is amazing!

The massive four poster bed in room 9 is amazing!

Most enjoyable place to meet up with family.
    • Family Room

Excellent standard of cleanliness and nothing was too much trouble. Very friendly too.

A nice break.
    • Family Room

Everything,the room,the breakfast,the parking facility,and the location 10 minute walk into town.

Beautifully renovated old house.

No food in the evening

Beautifully renovated old house.

Great for overnight stop in Taunton

Lack of Tea / coffee decaf alternatives

Great breakfast

very good value for money,parking good,breakfast very good.

n/a

very good value for money,parking good,breakfast very good. Overall, very good.

Brilliant