Reviews of Boars Head Hotel This rating is a reflection of how the property compares to the industry standard when it comes to price, facilities and services available. It's based on a self-evaluation by the property. Use this rating to help choose your stay!

120 Lammas Street, Carmarthen, SA31 3AE, United Kingdom

#10 of 14 hotels in Carmarthen

• Reviewed: July 20, 2018

Comfortable stay in a lovely old hotel

I had no negative issues at all;.

Lovely old place brought to a modern standard. The staff I met were friendly and helpful. Dinner and breakfast were lovely. The whole stay was great value for money. The hotel is well situated.

• Reviewed: July 17, 2018

Disappointed

Rooms 8 & 9 are not in the hotel but in the carpark at the back, Access was out onto the street, though the narrow passageway for cars, and across the carpark. Unpleasant, especially in bad weather. The shower in the bathroom had no cubicle, water went all over the floor. The carpet was gritty. Bedroom area L-shape, and dark, as the window was in the top of the L-shape. Couldn't leave window open as on ground floor.

The staff were helpful. The room was quiet.

• Reviewed: July 12, 2018

Its location

The bed was really uncomfortable. For breakfast I asked for pot of tea. The first morning the staff member said she did not have one. Another customer told me she asked for a pot if hot water. This seemed ti work. Coffee and tea for breakfast was out of urns. Not what I would expect from an English Pub. Oh snd Saturday night, my room was directly above the band that went till 12 midnight. The noise was defining.

Its location

• Reviewed: July 11, 2018

Great service,great food, room was spacious and clean, with...

Great service,great food, room was spacious and clean, with what looked like a new on suit. Missed breakfast so the barman went in the kitchen and made us a bacon sandwich, didn’t have to do that! The place to stay at if your visiting Carmarthen

• Reviewed: July 7, 2018

Absolutely great. 👍👍👍

If fan provided in the room that will be great specially in summer. Its bit hard to sleep at night with open window because my room was facing towards to town and in night time you will hear drunk people shouting and screaming.

I parking facility which near to hotel. Breakfast was good and the staff. Room is also very clean nice and cosy.

• Reviewed: July 2, 2018

Nice hotel with private parking offering good breakfast and evening meals.

Housekeeping rooms were clean and tidy but housekeeping always forgot to do certain tasks over the 4 night stay.

The hotel is very convenient located in the centre of town, excellent bar and reception staff but very poor housekeeping.

• Reviewed: June 30, 2018

Ok for the one night

No porridge 😔 It was 27°outside and prity much the same inside the room 21, but friend's in 27 had a through draft so were ok.

Food fine, large portions, and not over priced.

• Reviewed: June 26, 2018

Great places to stay

Because it was so hot we had to keep the window open. So therefore we had the pigeons near the window. Then the fans from the kitchen. Plugs need to be more accessible.

Lovely room. Nice and clean.. Comfy bed. Great location and a plus it has a car park. Great staff very helpful. I would stay again and I would recommend

• Reviewed: June 26, 2018

It was comfortable; we will certainly return as there is a ground floor for disabled people.

I felt that the duvet was rather narrow for my husband although I had no problems but there is a difference of twelve inches in height between us.

The breakfast was filling and it was possible to have as many cups of tea or coffee as you wanted. Service was prompt and the staff very pleasant

• Reviewed: June 22, 2018

An ideal, reasonably-priced hotel, especially for someone like myself walking the Coastal Path

Nothing in particular

Central location as I did not have a car with me. Excellent breakfast, quickly served. The evening meal was also very good and reasonably priced.

• Reviewed: June 11, 2018

depressing

We were the only people in the breakfast room. The waitress took our order and we requested toast with our breakfast. As we finished our breakfast she reappeared and asked us if we were still waiting for some toastr. We said yeas but it was too late now as we had finished our breakfast. She then just bwandered off not even apologising.

Not much it looks and is run down, desperately needs a facelift

• Reviewed: June 9, 2018

There was absolutely nothing to dislike about the place,...

There was absolutely nothing to dislike about the place, I’ve worked away for over 35years and I can honestly say that is one of the best hotels I’ve stayed in ! Excellent !

• Reviewed: June 6, 2018

Charming, friendly and great value
    • Master Bedroom

Very pleasant staff, nice nostalgic ambience, good food endorsed by the opinion of locals we talked to, great breakfast and all very clean. Very good value for money. As a bonus lots of chances to ymarfer siarad yn Gymraeg

• Reviewed: May 30, 2018

Would certainly recommend a stay here. Visit the Art Gallery next door- lovely people.

Old property, quite a difficult staircase, if you had mobility problems.

Easy to find. Well located for the shops and bus station. Train a little further away. Friendly, helpful staff.

• Reviewed: May 29, 2018

Great value for money

There's nothing I didn't like about the property

Everything the room the staff the food it was perfect location was amazing to for all local ammenaties

• Reviewed: May 16, 2018

Short but what I needed. Would stay again.

Sausage at breakfast. But that's personal taste.

Super clean new shower room. Real flexible with my checking as I was busy at hospital till early hours, Becoming a dad..😁

• Reviewed: May 5, 2018

Excellent accommodation at a very reasonable price.

It was a bit noisy outside.

The room appeared to be newly refurbished. The bathroom was larger than expected for this type of accommodation & extremely clean.

• Reviewed: April 29, 2018

Wouldn't want to stay on a Saturday night as I think it would be very noisy.

Welcome on arrival. Very creeky stairs which meant you could hear everyone going up and down stairs. Bedroom windows double glazed but woken by youths shouting choice language when coming back from nights out until early hours of morning.

Food was very good. Breakfast staff very friendly and efficient

• Reviewed: April 20, 2018

Great, everything we needed for our short stay

The Rooms were to warm.

The rooms were very comfy and with everything you needed. We needed a hairdryer and the was not one in the room, but the staff there were very helpful and found us a hairdryer very quickly.

• Reviewed: April 12, 2018

Very enjoyable and will return.
    • Master Bedroom

Car park could be tricky as this is an old coaching inn.

Loved the breakfasts and meals available all day. Cosy atmosphere in restaurant. Staff very helpful. Central location. Easy access to major routes.

• Reviewed: April 11, 2018

We enjoyed our experience in The Boar's Head.

The way we were told we were too early could have been more diplomatic.

When we arrived we were told to go away as we were too early. It was done in an abrupt way. Later on the staff were very pleasant. The restaurant was good and the different bars very pleasant.

• Reviewed: April 11, 2018

Very pleasant without being outstanding.
    • Master Bedroom

My only negative comment would be the lack of shampoo and soap in the bathroom. There was a body lotion.

The room was very nice and a good location for the centre of Carmarthen town. The bar was quite nice and served real ale. Breakfast was also very good.

• Reviewed: March 31, 2018

Warm, comfortable and well-positioned.

Everything was fairly great, although the cleaners might wish to pay more attention to small details, as once they left cleaning cloths in the room, the second time they left cleaning product in the toilet and the third night they left the window to my room open. It's hardly a big deal though and the hotel was very nice otherwise.

The staff were friendly and helpful, ready to answer any questions and offer sightseeing ideas, which is always nice to see. There were plenty of breakfast options, even for those not wanting a cooked meal. The room was a good-size although because it was over the bar it was a bit noisy in the early evening, though this usually quietened down before 10 pm.

• Reviewed: March 26, 2018

Slow service for breakfast when they were told we needed to...

Slow service for breakfast when they were told we needed to be checked out before 9 Got to breakfast for eight and no food to nearly 8.45 This took a little shine off an otherwise pleasant stay

• Reviewed: March 22, 2018

Thank you to all involved in making our stay bearable

Absolutely nothing.

As we were using the hotel as a base for a recent bereavement, nothing was too much trouble for the staff towards us and our family. We would like to say a massive thank you to all.

• Reviewed: March 19, 2018

Rubbish

The staff did not make us welcome at all except for one lady later in the evening, her name was nerys. The room was very basic the Windows rattled all night basically we will never stay there again.

• Reviewed: March 19, 2018

Very slow service in the restaurant in the evening.
    • Family Room

Very slow service in the restaurant in the evening. I had to wait to check out as there was no-one around and eventually I had to go to the restaurant to find someone.

• Reviewed: March 18, 2018

A pleasant surprise

Access to the car park is a nightmare if you have a larger vehicle, but very secure once you make it.

Friendly staff, good choice of food on the menu and well kept beers- a very comfortable overnight stay.

• Reviewed: March 2, 2018

Very homely atmosphere and realy clean

Having to leave

The room and the food was excellent and the staff looked after myself and my family very well as there was a few of us there fir my dads funeral

• Reviewed: February 27, 2018

A pleasant and friendly pub which probably would impress more if experienced on a "normal" night.

Bit of a hassle over payment when I checked in. Despite my receiving confirmation the hotel said no payment had come through - and it still hadn't when I checked out but at least they accepted your email as proof of payment. Sunday evening is not good for dining. Half the listed specials were unavailable (the chicken had "run out", the duck had "run out", although that's hard to believe as there were no other diners) and what was offered had been clearly undergone a quick warm-up and reheating.

Breakfast was standard as offered by hundreds of hotels - juice, cereals, wide selection of cooked items and toast that was barely tanned on one side and completely free of any sign of toasting on the other. Good welcome, helpful and friendly staff throughout my stay, off-street parking, central location.

• Reviewed: February 23, 2018

The staff were very welcoming and the location was good, everything else could be improved

The bed could have been more comfortable, and the food was disappointing, especially the breakfast which was cold and tasteless.

The location was good, but noisy. The staff were welcoming. The rooms were clean, but very hot, the bed was hard though and I couldn't sleep.

• Reviewed: February 19, 2018

Visiting our grandson at the University, who was also made very welcome throughout our stay.
    • Master Bedroom

No real dislikes, but a mat in the bath would have been helpful when showering.

Location excellent. Beds extra comfy. Service excellent. Large bathroom excellent quality, cleanliness, and size. Large roomy bedroom, with plenty of drawer and cupboard space.

• Reviewed: February 15, 2018

I needed a bed for the night and I got one

No way of putting on the radiator and the room was cold. The kettle was furred up. Traffic noise outside on the very busy street with no double glazing. Too much banging of doors and noise of people on the wooden stairs. No breakfast was offered to be left in my room overnight (I had to eat before 6 am).

Acceptable, just

For what was described as a 3* hotel, I am afraid that we travel widely world-wide and I fear UK hotels are losing their way regards facilities compared with Europe and the USA, they have not moved with the times.

Food was very good cuisine-wise. My wife asked for a poached egg on one piece of toast for breakfast, she got two eggs and and two slices of toast.

• Reviewed: February 15, 2018

Treat us is person not how we look

In beginning the stuff was worried about me because I was wearing hijab for clearly see on his face . I had sempaty for him because social media say wrong things about us unfortunately people do believe in it.

Everything were ok

• Reviewed: February 12, 2018

Nice and clean. Fab location

No mirror in bedroom restaurant service poor. Stayed last year and all was good. Gone downhill this year. Staff didn’t seem very happy

Rooms nice and clean

• Reviewed: February 3, 2018

Don‘t book on weekends!

Booked on a saturday, got a room above the bar - the live music was equally loud in my room as it was downstairs. So as i figured that my room had zero use for work nor recovery - i asked for at least a free drink in return - Nope! No deals on anything. The breakfast was plenty but not very tasty... the room itself was ok. Cleanish, warm etc... but I wouldn’t want to know how clearly you could hear it, if a couple was having some „happy time“ next door XD ! Just don’t book on weekends!

• Reviewed: January 27, 2018

Town centre location.

Room on second floor probably contributed to sometimes not so good WiFi connection. Stayed 4 nights, but one evening no room in hotel carpark, which meant l had to leave earlier than planned the following morning to avoid parking charge / fine.

Town centre location. Ensuite with bath. Good menu, and value for money. Beware portions large!

• Reviewed: January 26, 2018

Nice town with character only an hour from Fishguard

Absolutely fab little hotel , stayed before and I'll stay again . Very friendly and helpful staff,Super bar and great food. Piping hot Full Welsh breakfast was the highlight ,well cooked fresh to order on a hot plate , what more could you want ??

• Reviewed: January 16, 2018

Washbasin would not empty, this was fixed the day I reported...

Saturday night there was a lot of noise outside until the early hours, possibly from the regulars.

Washbasin would not empty, this was fixed the day I reported it.

• Reviewed: January 15, 2018

we enjoyed are short stay and it was convenient for Carmarthen town centre

Room situated on busy street was noisy at times despite double glazing, stairs to the room quite steep no lift

friendly staff.great breakfast,bedroom cleaned daily,bathroom spotless.teas and coffee/milk replenished daily.

• Reviewed: January 1, 2018

Great little pub right in the centre of town.

Shower lacked any kind of power, differences in room size for ‘double room’ ours was very small in comparison to two other couples also staying in a ‘double room’. Very early check out.

Great little pub right in the centre of town. Comfortable bed. Good selection of breakfast items.

• Reviewed: December 29, 2017

Lack of trust for this hotel

heating was turned off at 8 pm and did not come on again untill morning despite talking to staff. IN the morning we forgot to pack a couple of items, when we went back there was no knoledge of them.

• Reviewed: December 16, 2017

Location in town centre

Vegetation breakfast wasn’t great,the sausages were chopped up onion in a roll. Booking via Booking.com wasn’t easy and in the confusion the wrong room was cancelled.

Location in town centre

• Reviewed: December 13, 2017

The Staff were very friendly and helpful.

The hotel has a very limited parking availability - I had to park on the street and move it before 8.00 .m. Our room had a shower as part of the toilet - without a shower curtain and a hole in the floor to drain the water. It looked very primitive.

The Staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was clean and comfortable. The location was excellent for our needs. We ordered a meal in the evening. It was fantastic - a good amount and tasted wonderful - congratulations to the chef! The food was reasonably priced. The breakfast was freshly cooked - plenty of choice and tasted delicious. Overall very good value for the cost of the stay.

• Reviewed: December 4, 2017

Good clean rooms but not good for family accommodation due to parking, noise in the night.

Staff not very attentive on arrival. The hotel is near pub and clubs so can’t sleep due to noise of music and street until midnight and later. Not for family accommodation.

Good Clean Rooms.

• Reviewed: November 11, 2017

Quiet hotel in the middle of town

The room i was in had no Wifi. Complained about it twice but nothing was done . I was put in a room for disabled guests and the bathroom mirror only came up to my chest so i had to constantly bend down .

In the centre of town.

• Reviewed: October 22, 2017

overall satisfactory.

Only one staff looking after restaurant bar and the hotel guests. Room heater not working. No idea with the only staff what to do when Wi-Fi is not working. The password doesn't works and so on.

Location. Food is good.

• Reviewed: October 16, 2017

Great location and was upgraded at no extra cost

The receptionist at 5pm was rather stiff and although I asked for a letter-headed invoice both on the booking website and when I checked out I wasn't given one. I have since emailed the manager and five days later haven't received the requirement.

Great location and was upgraded at no extra cost

• Reviewed: October 12, 2017

Short but sweet

More staff presence. Couldn't often find staff members. Maybe staff could be more welcoming check in seemed like more of a hassle to the staff. However the lady that served us breakfast was lovely.

I liked the room sizes and the breakfasts were very delicious.

• Reviewed: October 8, 2017

Charming historic building, friendly staff, delicious food, very clean. Overall, gorgeous time had.

Just the same as staying in any town centre, 'light' sleepers staying on a weekend might find it noisy and so take your ear-plugs! Very happy revellers enjoying themselves is, at the same time, a very warming sound to nod off to :)

Vegetarian cooked breakfast was delicious. Staff friendly, very helpful and kind. Quaint 16th century historic building of real charm with original features and an old-fashioned cosy bar situated on the oldest street in Wales, it is said, which is now centrally placed in a tiny, lively, friendly countryside town. Bathrooms beautifully modern and everything so clean. Great shops just outside the door for stocking up for the next part of your adventures in South Wales. Even a speciality and vegetarian food shop just opposite staffed by local young people or from the near university. Small own carpark reached through a narrow coach and horses tunnel arch - scary to negotiate but my large car did fit. Loved our stay!

• Reviewed: October 2, 2017

Great rooms and friendly staff on arrival. Slow and poor service on Sunday

Very slow and poor service at Breakfast on Sunday and had to leave our lunch booking because service was too slow.

The room was spacious and very clean and comfortable.

• Reviewed: October 2, 2017

good location would have been nice to park in hotel car park

Pillows very hard no mirror in bedroom to use hair dryer only mirror in bathroom and no plug there.

Very clean room ok we attended a family party at hotel buffet very good also breakfast.

• Reviewed: September 26, 2017

Centrally placed but do not expect much sleep if you stay at the weekend.

Car park to small ( not enough spaces for guests/ staff cars fill it) Room very noisey, i.e music from bar until very late, taxi rank outside window, shouting & fighting in the street until 03:00 at 05:00 street cleaning begins. Breakfast on Saturday great, Sunday rubish everything cooked in deep fat frier, waitress service dier.

• Reviewed: September 22, 2017

A cracking break in a fab hotel.

We were on the top floor alot of steep stairs.

The staff were excelent.The beds were very comfortable.The food was excelent massive portions,freshly cooked.

• Reviewed: September 19, 2017

Absolutely fantastic

Leaving😐

Everything:Fabulous comfortable old style Pub/Hotel.Slightly worn but in a "lived in"style.Friendly down to earth staff,excellent food.Just great.My 3rd stay and already looking to book again!!

• Reviewed: September 16, 2017

Would like to have stayed longer.

A very enjoyable stay - unfortunately only one night. Hotel is in the middle of town and easy to find. The room was a good size, with everything I required. There was an excellent, well provisioned bathroom. A very extensive dinner menu and breakfast was also very good.

• Reviewed: September 8, 2017

Very cosy, friendly staff

Very friendly staff - I was travelling to Carmarthen by train, and the receptionist phoned to check when I was going to arrive, and greeted me on arrival. Very comfy, quiet room.

• Reviewed: September 5, 2017

Room was nice and very clean

The noise on Saturday night was awful up until around 3:30 am and then the street cleaner started at 6. No one came to take my breakfast order on the 2nd morning although I sat for 15 mins. Breakfast 1st morning was nice

Room was nice and very clean

• Reviewed: September 3, 2017

Very nice and was made to feel welcomed

Tea and coffee ran out quick, would of been nice to stack the tray more and st night we were kept awake from 0230 until around 0500 in the morning with drunks arguing outside the bedroom window and you could here every word but that's not so much the hotels fault

Very friendly staff ideal location for me. Bedroom was nice and bed was so comfortable

• Reviewed: August 29, 2017

Overall, the stay was pleasant. i would go back again!

Our room was on the second floor, but the stairs were quite steep and not ideal. The window in our room wouldn't shut properly which caused a lot of disturbance during the night, hearing late night party goers until 5am! Breakfast was ok.

Lovely staff. Our room was good with a large bathroom.

• Reviewed: August 29, 2017

Not the best .Total lack of maintainence.

The hotel is very tired.Their is an obvious lack of maintainence. We stayed in room 23 the bathroom very nice just a shame the drain in the bath was blocked.the toilet roll holder was loose on wall.The window in the room needed maintainence the sash window would not stay up we had to prop it open with a toilet roll .secondary double glazing had seen better days.trying to open the wardrobe proved near impossible the doors were stuck firmly.

The breakfast was good staff friendly

• Reviewed: August 27, 2017

Nice, shame they dont promote or warn on evening activities

We stayed on a Saturday night & they had a band, nothing that we saw when checking in indicated there was a band, at 9pm, the pub was dead, by 10pm it was a hive of activity. If they let patrons know, we would have come down & joined in, but we were in our PJ's by then trying to sleep

Good food, lovely charm about dining area

• Reviewed: August 26, 2017

Bit of a disappointment, but passable.

Location was poor. In the middle of a high street, just near a bus/coach/taxi stop. It was very noisy, especially early in the mornings. The hotel was a bit run down and dark, without lifts and we were on the top floor with steep and narrow stairs at the end. Not good for us elderly people.

Slightly understaffed, but the staff were friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: August 25, 2017

The restaurant was lovely, good choice of food and very good...

The car park is very tight and someone scraped our car going out of the car park and didn't even have the decency to leave a note or tell reception they had done it!

The restaurant was lovely, good choice of food and very good value for money although portions a little too big for us!

• Reviewed: August 25, 2017

The car parking was really tight.

The car parking was really tight. My Mum's car was hit by a red Renault captur that was parked in the car park as they left. They didn't even have the decency to let us know.

• Reviewed: August 21, 2017

Would never stay here again.

Few staff smiled,& an older lady needs to learn a great deal from her younger colleagues.We had a problem with our car so needed to call out Green Flag which meant being 5 minutes late for dinner. We asked for just some cheese-NO-KITCHEN'S CLOSED! Neither would this particular lady even give a slice of lemon in my tonic water! Everything (for her) was too much trouble.However another waitress was charming & helpful,although we had to wait 1hour for our lunch order.As said, the young staff were very efficient,but no-one smiled! The room was basic in the extreme-only one mirror, no loo roll holder,tiny shower you had to switch on before showering or you'd get cold water,but when the doors opened the floor got wet.Also,nowhere to put soap or shampoo in the shower. The net curtains in the room were absolutely filthy.Next time we come we'll stay further along the road!

The breakfast was good, but little choice.Coffee and tea both awful. We needed to go out to get a decent cup. Dinner was very good.

• Reviewed: August 14, 2017

Very pleasant stay and hotel much better than expected.

Road a bit noisy in the morning

Very clean well appointed rooms and hearty breakfast with a good range. Fantastic shower in my room and modern clean bathrooms

• Reviewed: August 12, 2017

This hotel has a lot of history and was our first pick for this stop.

No elevator.

The Boars Head is located downtown Carmethan with parking to the side of the hotel through a narrow passageway. We had a large car and just made it through the gate but our car was safe inside a walled parking area. The hotel is old but well cared for. It has no elevator. We were on the third floor and our friends were on the second and our luggage became heavier and heavier. We ate in the hotel restaurant and even thought they were shorthanded due to the manager being married that day, we were well cared for. The hotel is located on main street with shops, restaurants, banks and the post office. The area market is nearby but we arrived too late in the day to go--arrive before closing at 5PM. Our room and ensuite bathroom was clean and comfortable.

• Reviewed: August 10, 2017

Average and served a purpose

As a single traveller taking a single room the bed was a very small single and was not in the best condition. Well used and had a dip in the centre

Friendly and helpful staff.

• Reviewed: August 6, 2017

No Problems - modern rooms & decent breakfast in the centre of the town

Car Park is tight & you need to get there early... but it's an old coach house in an old town - so any gratis car parking is a bonus.

Our second visit. No problems - clean modern rooms & decent breakfast. Great location.

• Reviewed: August 6, 2017

Avoid staying on Saturday night.
    • Master Bedroom

Saturday night bass noise from the downstairs disco was vibrating the furniture and plumbing works to the room. This noise went on it to the middle of the night. No efforts were made by staff to resolve the issue.

Lovely Clean, tidy room. Spacious bathroom. Comfortable bed. Excellent breakfast and evening meals. Convenient location. Friendly staff.

• Reviewed: August 3, 2017

Great stay at The Boars Head, Carmarthen.

Grondfloor room with walk in shower. Great fresh local produce served at breakfast and evending meal. Very warm and friendly staff who were very helpful and kind.

• Reviewed: August 2, 2017

Very pleasant the town is full of history I would stay there again

The room was a bit noisy but it's a 17th coaching inn so a I can live with that a beautiful building

The staff were very welcoming and food was good well done to the staff

• Reviewed: August 2, 2017

Central if you require this type of stay, we prefer out of...

Little bit noisy with drunken yobs outside when we arrived but they could have come from another pub as it was in centre of town at 5.00 pm

Central if you require this type of stay, we prefer out of town but was last minute change of plan. Room was clean with comfortable bed and nice shower. Good food in restaurant and nice breakfast.