Reviews of Boathouse Hotel 2 stars

Newry Beach, Holyhead, LL65 1YF, United Kingdom

#11 of 20 hotels in Holyhead

• Reviewed: 9 September 2018

Pleasant stopover before getting ferry home

My single room (16) didn’t have a wardrobe nor chair, other than that it was clean and comfortable

Staff were friendly and food was excellent very generous portions

• Reviewed: 8 September 2018

Comfortable, cosy hotel with delicious home cooked meals.

We wish the stay had been a little longer as it is a nice, homely hotel with very pleasant staff.

The meals at this hotel were incredible. Delicious home cooking. The room was a little small but very cosy with a comfortable bed and private, spotlessly clean bathroom. Perfectly located for those needing to catch an early morning ferry to Dublin.

Comfortable and clean .

Room was very warm . Nice view overlooking the marina but window too small and very unclean . Needed a stool to look out through the window as it was rather high .

Comfortable and clean . Breakfast and evening meal good value for money and served with a smile . Staff fabulously friendly and gave us a warm welcome . Thank you for a most enjoyable stay

• Reviewed: 1 September 2018

Silver lining on a dark cloud

After a stressful day traveling, delayed ferries and rowdy passengers was delighted to have booked in last minute to the boat house. clean comfy room with friendly and helpful staff 💯 be back again.

Staff and location

I feel this was miss-sold.
    • Family Room

I feel this was miss-sold. I paid £140 for 3 x B&B yet their standard rate for this season up to September is £115 £25 less. When I asked them about this they said I had to pay extra for booking through Booking.com. This was not transparent when I booked, there was not warning that I was paying extra due to the mode of booking. This is not fair practice and I suggest a refund to £25 is in order and either do not allow booking through booking.com or be transparent that is more expensive. I would like feedback on this issue please.

Lovely Family Run Hotel.

Wifi signal wasn't always great in the rooms. I didn't particularly mind this but other guests might.

The staff were absolutely lovely and accommodating. The breakfast was great. Very tasty and plenty of choice. The hotel has a lovely friendly atmosphere.

A peaceful spot.
    • Small Double/Twin room Room (1 Adult)

The wifi didn't work anywhere in the hotel on either of my devices. I would have liked some healthier breakfast options. Fruit, granola c etc.

Reasonable albeit small room for the price. Peaceful. Bar & restaurant were ok.

• Reviewed: 18 August 2018

Very good will book again

Would have appreciated a choice ie just bed and no breakfast for a reduction

Love the quirkiness of the building-have stayed before and always a good experience

Check in staff were so kind.

Nothing. All great.

Check in staff were so kind. I arrived after the restaurant had closed and they took the trouble to arrange some take away for me so I wouldn’t miss dinner. Just really thoughtful, caring and welcoming. Would 100% stay again! Also has a lovely view over the harbour. Good breakfast in the morning too.

Lovely stay on seafront, food in restaurant very good too
    • Family Room

Advertises a "coffee shop" but not, coffee available but no cakes, biscuits etc.

Lovely bedroom, almost a suite with extra room for our daughter. Lovely white bedding & fluffy white towels. Delicious plentiful breakfast.

Just a nice place to take a break before we cross over to Dublin.

The payment. I Always book with my creditcard but we pay at the venue. This hotel starts asking 2 days before we arrive to pay by card. When you are on your way you don't like this kind of questions. We don't like that.

I stayed here with my parents before taking an early morning...
    • Family Room

I stayed here with my parents before taking an early morning ferry over to Dublin. The location was fabulous overlooking the harbour. Staff were extremely helpful and friendly. Food was good. I wish we had a little longer here.

Convenient location for the Welsh coastal walk, ferry to Ireland and harbour.

Very minor thing. It would have been nice to have a comfy chair to relax in bar area rather than hard wooden ones.

The view from our room across the harbour. Lovely lamb shank and fresh crab.

Convenient car drive to Irish Ferry terminal

No complaints

Well located to the Irish Ferry terminal & hire car drop off. We had a hire car & there was good on site parking. Was good basic accommodation prior to the ferry crossing to Ireland. Food was okay & is located opposite a marina.

• Reviewed: 4 August 2018

close proximity to the harbour and view over it.

can't think of anything!

close proximity to the harbour and view over it. friendly and helpful staff. could eat outside in lovely weather and enjoy the view.

• Reviewed: 3 August 2018

Served the purpose, Ferry to Ireland the following morning

The room had a lingering smell of dogs, dark and dated, could have only managed one night in it,

The bar and restaurant where fine staff very friendly.

Bright, comfortable room in a great location.

Great location on the marina. Beautiful walks were close to the hotel. Staff were friendly and helpful. The room was very bright and comfortable.

EXCELLENT VERY HAPPY WITH LOCATION AND HOTEL

nothing to dislike its what you make of your holiday that makes it enjoyable with a good hotel and staff.

the room was lovely and the staff were very polite, and the food was very nice we had a room with a view. although it rained the whole weekend l would recommend this hotel, We had a lovely time. THANKYOU

Good location, five minutes drive to the ferry port.

Good location, five minutes drive to the ferry port. Nice clean room. Plenty of parking. Good breakfast cooked to order. friendly staff. Checkout was very easy. hotel located in a fairly isolated part of town but close to the water.

Excellent situated and comfortable for catching the ferry to Ireland

On our trip to Ireland this hotel is well situated to catch the ferry in the morning. Lying just outside of Holyhead on the harbour, it offers comfort and a nice restaurant. Notably well, as visited by locals. The room are non-standard with a personal touch. Breakfast personally served in the morning was ranging from full English to simple eggs and toast. We loved it.

Clean rooms, close to Holyhead ferry port.

Hotel was old fashioned, could do with refurbishment and expensive compared hotels in other areas. Breakfast on Saturday mornings was too late for early ferry (check in at 8:00)

Clean rooms, close to Holyhead ferry port. Nice location opposite the sea. Staff friendly.

The heat demanded ventilation, therefore we had our window...

The heat demanded ventilation, therefore we had our window open as often as possible. Unfortunately, 90% of the people (guests and employees) sitting on the patio area were smokers, so that wafted into our room on a regular basis. I closed the window when I smelled cigarette smoke. And we got hot. Not good. Other than that, very pleasant stay. Aaah yes—nothing to do with the hotel, but Booking.com had my name listed incorrect (not including my surname!) so I was startled at first when they said there was no room under my name. Shame on you, Booking.com ...

Fine for a stay for one night.

Walls very thin, room very small but I have stayed in worse single rooms.

Clean, room seemed newly decorated and although small was comfortable. Only stayed for one night but everyone seemed friendly. Needed to leave for early ferry but was told to come down to breakfast before official start time and grab some cereal. Lady in the breakfast room brought me a pot of tea and offered to get me a bacon or sausage sandwich to take with me (I declined as I had to leave but it was very good of her to offer).

Wouldn’t go back.

Reception lady was very unhelpful and miserable when we arrived. Beds uncomfortable with very cheap linen. Very dated decor.

Breakfast staff were friendly and helpful. Breakfasts very good.

Good nice one-night stay-over to be able to catch the morning boat to Dublin.

The mattresses on the bed we slept are due to be replaced. I was sleeping in quite a big dent... Everything was cleaned up very nicely, except for the air vent in the bathroom above the shower. I probably wouldn't have noticed it if the rest hadn't been so clean though, but yeah, that made this stand out which was a shame if you ask me.

This is a great family hotel. The service is very good, with friendly staff and good food (both the breakfast as the dinner in the Bistro).

A great place to stay in Holyhead, Wales!

Location right near the beach was good and a short walk into the town centre - beautiful seaside walks nearby. Excellent, hearty food in the restaurant and wonderful service.

Comfortable

Tea & coffee making in the room. The water had to be boiled on the floor no electric point near kettle location.

Did what if said on the tin. Warm friendly helpful food good for standard hotel would use again

Very enjoyable ,only about 6minutes away from treaddur bay

Couldnt fault it staff very friendly nothing too much trouble

Room very nice ,shower absolutely spotless bedding pure white immaculate ,towels pure white ,made everything seem extra clean

Comfortable but disappointed about the late service fair breakfast

Unable to have a proper breakfast (which was included in the price ) as the kith hen didn’t open until 0730 abs we had to be at our ferry by then . It opens at 0700 through the week. It advertises how close it hsvyo the ferry do you think it would serve breakfast at a time to suit customers going to the ferry

Proximity to the ferry

It was a short distance from the port so we could catch an early ferry

Breakfast could have been a little earlier to reduce the stress of catching an early ferry.

Pleasant Welcome. Clean room. Good food. Comfortable bed. sensible price.

The property is beautifully located by the harbour, so very convenient for ferries.

Service at breakfast

Loved the location - as we were catching the ferry we were only 5 minutes' drive away, so no fuss getting there. Breakfast was a little slow in service, but staff friendly and evening meal enjoyable.

The staff were very friendly and helpful the property was...

Wished we could have stayed longer.

The staff were very friendly and helpful the property was located near the local boat yard had nice views of the sea the local people were lovely as well, we booked 2 rooms 1 for our boys and 1 for us both were lovely the evening meal was very delicious generous size as well and the breakfast that came as part of the booking was also very delicious I would definitely recommend this property to all.

The property was lovely and clean.

Nothing to dislike, only the heavy rain spoiled it for us

The property was lovely and clean. Great decor. Good that we had our own door from Outside directly into our room as we’d taken our little dog Marley with us. Difficult to find a dog friendly hotel but it was great could even eat our meals in the conservatory and have Marley with us 🐶Staff very helpful & friendly. Meals delicious! Excellent choice of breakfast included in the price. We opted to pay for evening meal which was on the large size ! But again excellent home cooked food. Definitely recommend 👍

would stay again as location ideal for my meetings at the port

Room slightly small and single bed. An observation rather than criticism

Very clean and friendly staff. Breakfast was excellent. Didn't need to eat until the evening as plenty of it and bacon perfectly cooked

The rooms were nice and the food was good.

Getting served was difficult as the staff spent more time in the back room talking rather than attending to customers. Service was very poor apart from one young lad who was clearly trying his best.

The rooms were nice and the food was good.

The friendly staff who were very helpful.

Can't say there was anything we didn't like. All went well.

The friendly staff who were very helpful. Food was good rooms clean and comfortable and a lovely location.

Enjoyed the stay. Good location & value for money. Friendly and helpful staff

Breakfast was average - not much choice. Décor a bit dated and no lift

We stayed one night on the way to the ferry to a holiday in Ireland. The evening meal offered in the bistro excellent. The steak and ale pie was delicious. Friendly and helpful staff made the stay very enjoyable.

Dog friendly hotel, with amazing views and great food!
    • Family Room

- Family and pet friendly - Clean room with no dog smell (considering they take dogs) we were very impressed - Food in the restaurant at dinner was amazing, home cooked and large portions - Great location, beautiful walks, our dogs loved it

Disappointing, hope this is not the best Holyhead has to offer.

Far too expensive for the facilities offered, It is NOT "Pet-Friendly", they charge far too much for pets to stay. They made charges on my card without my permision. Food poor and quite expensive. Generally run down and dingy.

The members of staff are very helpful.

Beautiful location, brilliant staff a happy pleasant stay & eager to return.

Wished there had been a bar of soap for the shower.

Cleanliness & decor/colours uncomplicated & beautiful. Food good portion/tasty family menue. Cedrick my Westie stretched out comfortably on his blanket placed on the carpet. He slept very well too.

The Food and staff make this the best hotel in Holyhead.

wi-fi is very unreliable.

The staff are friendly, the hotel is 'homely' and the room was massive and well equipped. The food is truly fantastic,

Good breakfast and room was clean

Security light at the back of the property lights up room 16 all night as the curtain are away from the window, so don’t block the light. Radiator pipes made a lot of noise the night I stayed so trying to sleep was not good.

Good breakfast and room was clean

Relaxing

Owner and staff were very helpful and friendly, room clean and comfortable although a little dated, but did not mind that at all. Bathroom extremely clean. Will definitely go back again.

Would definitely stay there again.

It was all good. Even the weather! I have stayed in some expensive hotels but none could be cleaner or more welcoming! To be critical, the English breakfast was deep fried in the main... not very healthy!

The staff were superb and the cleanliness was outstanding. Excellent value for money.

Brief but Lovely

The room and bed were a little on the small side with a view of the parking lot.

The hotel had a restaurant in it which always makes travelling a little easier. The location is right on the water. I would have like to explore the are a little more.

Ferry stopover

Although it's great for the ferry, it's a bit isolated from anything else.

It was close to the ferry terminal. The staff were very helpful and ordered pizza in for us, as we arrived too late for the restaurant.

Pleasant stay in a lovely location

Thought rooms were very clean but could do with an update. Not much sound proofing between us and room above. People were smoking and chatting after 10pm outside our room which had a dedicated plant holder for cigarette ends! Seemed a bit strange in this day and age.

The staff were friendly and polite. The location is very handy for the ferry. The breakfast was good.

Room was not cleaned after the first night.

Room was not cleaned after the first night. Breakfast the second night, there were no vegetarian sausages (okay, can happen) but the information was given while the plate was put in front (why not before so that I might have decided for something different???).

Never again will I stay there, I was made to feel like it was my fault.

The attitude of the hotel because I was arriving after midnight. If I booked directly with them I could check in but because I had booked through booking.com I couldn’t. Four phone calls later they relented but it’s totally unprofessional to make a guest feel anxious and uncomfortable about their stay, both the hotel and booking.com were happy to take my money but not let me check in. The person I spoke to in booking.com was useless.

Welcoming

The rooms are very small. The food whilst good could be greatly improved with some fresh vegetables and salads.

We got stuck in Holyhead during Storm Emma. We had our dog with us. The hotel team were extremely welcoming and kind. It is very clean.

Very positive spoilt only by minor issues. Would definitely visit again.

No information booklet available. Was informed this was because they were updating them. Had to go downstairs to get WiFi code as result. TV didn't work - batteries in remote control at fault?

Room was generally clean, warm and very comfortable. Breakfast good. WiFi connection good. Location brilliant.

Awful and overpriced hotel with disgraceful service

The hotel management was rude, unprofessional, unhelpful and utterly offensive. I spoke to the manager about a complaint I had and his response was:- “I DON’T HAVE TO JUSTIFY MYSELF OR MY BYSINESS TO YOU!!!.” My understanding of running a business especially in hospitality is that’s exactly what you are required to do in the most professional and diplomatic way possible. I think they must have watched Fawlty Towers and mistakenly thought it was best way to run a hotel. I will never stay here again and I will ensure none of my businesses use this premises ever again.

The restaurant and the restaurant staff were terrific.

Perfect for what we needed.

Room was cold took a while for the heating to kick in. Would have been nice if it had been turned in before we arrived. Food was quite expensive. Towels were very small!

Great location, quite old fashioned but very homely. Room nicely decorated, nice ensuite. Staff were friendly. Decent breakfast.

Stay was ok but staff wasn’t over friendly or helpful and good and drink over priced. Location was g

Food looked over priced so didn’t eat in the place other than breakfast which wasn’t anything special and drinks expensive. Soda and Lime £3.50... outrageous

Hotel was clean

Lovely spot, location was great. Wish we could have enjoyed it in daylight.

The room was very cold when we arrived, however this was rectified when brought to the attention of reception.

The staff were friendly and very helpful. The restaurant was welcoming and the food was lovely. Good menu choice. Breakfast was great, a good start to the day.

The fact that it was close to the ferry terminal.
    • Small Double/Twin room Room (1 Adult)

That the desk where you sat to use your laptop, there was no power point. In fact, part from the TV and the bed side lamp, there was only 1 more power point and that was on the other side of the room near the bed for doing everything. Charging appliances, coffee making & hair drying.......

The fact that it was close to the ferry terminal.

Will never cross into this place again.

The staff where rude and very un helpful , i was 3 mins late for breakfast which is my own fault but was even refused a cup of tea, outrageous to be fair very poor service.

Perfect for me.

Very convenient location for ferry and great for walks too. Lovely setting overlooking the harbour. Lovely staff. Very comfortable bed. Quiet. Clean and has everything you need. Good breakfast.

Wonderful relaxing break near the marina
    • Family Room

One tiny thing: no towel rails in the bathroom (except for a flimsy hook attached to the top of the bathroom door and the towel kept falling off).

Fantastic location in a quiet area opposite the marina with a great view through our window. The room was clean, bright and comfortable. The bathroom was pristine with a nice large shower cubicle with proper sliding door. Plenty of fluffy white towels and extra pillows. WiFi worked fine. The staff were pleasant and welcoming.

Good value hotel ideal location for ferry port.

Everything was fine for our overnight stay.

Easy to find, good location for catching the ferry to Dublin. Room was clean and looked like it had recently been refurbished.

Good hotel close to the ferry with great food and staff

Bed was a bit small and not amazingly comfy

Great location for getting the ferry the next day. Food was delicious and huge portions! It is also a pet friendly hotel

The Boathouse was the ideal place for us to say as it was very convenient for the ferry port.

The building is a little bit old fashioned, but added to the charm!

Bed comfy. Staff so friendly. Stayed for one night before we took ferry.....very convenient. Our boat was early and we did not have time to have a complete breakfast....the staff were worried about this and gave us bacon sandwiches to take with us!!!! Would definitely stay there again if taking the ferry.

Great location for a quiet break, views & comfortable stay!

Staff couldn't do enough for you. Excellent location for a quiet break. Safe car parking. Food was served quickly, and was delicious - couldn't fault it. Theres a bar with a great selection of drinks. Room had everything you needed and was very clean. Fab location if you want to pop over to Dublin as its a ten minute walk from ferry terminal. The view from the hotel is the marina, and also the Breakwater - which is surrounded by some lovely walks.

Would not stay here again.

Room was quite expensive for a 2 star with no breakfast £75 And Then Hotel Charged £30 For 2 Little Dogs in their own beds for the night. Meal in the evening not great £4.40 for a garlic bread is too expensive.

Totally disappointed.

Breakfast should have been included as per booking .com website.Was refused when requested. Confrontational staff. Full ammount was taken on booking. Not as per website. Food was appalling and sent back.Refund given.To

Nothing regrettably.

comfortable, suitable with the dogs and convenient for the ferry, would stay there again

due to early ferry, breakfast was rushed.

the room was quite spacious and the dogs were well accommodated for. there was also lovely walks for them from the hotel.

Good overnight stay to break journey to Ireland.

Some noise from room above and road at the back of the hotel.

Food was very good and staff attentive and friendly. Location very good for the ferry to Dublin.

Pleasant enough place, room was fine although Internet was non existant. Breakfast really good.

The reception lady seemed very unfriendly and unhelpful in general. The lady who served breakfast was a gem and absolutely lovely - couldn't do enough for us - major contrast to reception staff.

The room was absolutely fine with a lovely view towards the marina. The bed was very comfortable. Bathroom was a bit tight and awkward but it was nice and clean

the room was small but nice, with a good bathroom and shower.
    • Small Double/Twin room Room (1 Adult)

The TV remote control did not work, and the only way to control the TV was by standing on a stool and pushing switches on the set, mounted high on the wall. BAD for a short person in her 70s!

the room was small but nice, with a good bathroom and shower.

Perfect location and very comfortable

Slow wifi connection ( but that applies to the whole of Anglesey )

Absolutely superb location and yer very convenient for train or ferry transport - We have been staying here when visiting family in Holyhead for many years - It has been improved - Is spotlessly clean , comfortable. The staff are very welcoming and helpful. The food is excellent - Highly recommended

Catching a ferry...or coming in late this hotel is a great location for you....
    • Small Double/Twin room Room (1 Adult)

The hotel isn't a modern hotel but does reflect the website description well....

Staff extremely friendly and lovely location a short walk to the break water with spectacular views, allowed me to stay on in the morning and work from the bar area using free wifi.....excellent. Great location for ferry terminal (5mins)

Would definitely use the hotel again, staff very friendly and helpful.

The town was about a 10 minute walk, and very dissapointing it was dirty and there are no clothes shops or big shops. There is a bus that takes you to a small outlet centre, with a nice pub ( the standing stones) cost €5.00 to return to the hotel.

The area was very quiet and relaxing. The ferry for Dublin is just down the road if you fancy a day trip. The menu is good and the breakfast was excellent.

After the insufferably long and late boat trip from Dublin,...

After the insufferably long and late boat trip from Dublin, the staff was friendly, accommodating and helpful. The room was comfortable and the breakfast was excellent.

pleasant place, friendly staff

it is a very pleasant place to stay, we always stay there the night before catching the ferry. initially it was just avoid the stress of being late for ferry, but now we treat it as a very pleasing part of our holiday.

A very clean hotel, will certainly go again.

The lack of swimming pool, sauna, steam room and hot tub.

First time at this hotel and I do not think it will be the last, the staff are very friendly and the hotel is very clean, parking is easy and it is ideal for taking your dog for walks with plenty to go at, we would certainly recommend this hotel.