Reviews of Quality Hotel Boldon 4 stars

Witney Way, Junc A19/A184, Boldon Business park, Sunderland, NE35 9PE, United Kingdom

#3 of 6 hotels in Sunderland

Good service with a courteous approach and a friendly, welcoming feel.

Breakfast service was a little slow, mainly due to items being cooked to order. No fruit yogurts!

Friendly, helpful staff, clean rooms, lovely pool & gym. The evening meal was quite simple 'home cooked food' but delicious and hot.

We liked the service, but had a very dark room, with no...

see above. And there is no necessity of changing towels every day. Room too cold and dark.

We liked the service, but had a very dark room, with no possibility to open the window. Breakfast poor.

A Gem of a Find

large comfortable beds, excellent spa facilities, a gem of a find. Excellent value for money, so good we booked an extra nights stay, will defiantly return.

Overall quite good

No air conditioning upstairs on a very hot weekend. Breakfast a little dried up on the serving plates attentiveness from chef could have been a little better with the hot buffet

Room and facilities were good.

The rooms were very comfortable and spotlessly clean.

The service and food n the restaurant was a disgrace. The home made steak pie had hardly any steak, mostly small bits of carrot. The rib eye steak was tough. Coffee arrived before desert. Had to remind waitress about desert. When asked if the meal was to our satisfaction she just smiled when we said no. We did get a deduction off our bill but no one bothered to come and see us. We didn’t see a waitress at the very highly priced breakfast apart from bringing coffee. No chance to order scrambled, poached or boiled eggs from the menu and the fried eggs had run out. My cousin, who was crippled with a bad back asked for a drink to be delivered to his table at the bar and was told no. The restaurant and bar service let the hotel down. This is the second time I have stayed at this hotel and the same problems at breakfast the last time.

The rooms were very comfortable and spotlessly clean. The receptionists couldn’t have been more helpful.

Clean.

No air con in rooms. Room 210. Sleep was impossible so made for a very uncomfortable night. No air com in function room. That was very uncomfortable and made some guests feel faint

Clean. Staff good. Attractive property. Bar reasonably priced. Nice bed

Good hotel just avoid breakfast.
    • Standard Family Room

Breakfast. Had to find staff to get tea and coffee ordered. One tea cup was filthy. Glasses for juice were way too small. Scrambled eggs were poor and fried eggs were dripping grease.

Comfy bed

Only one night but the hotel was good
    • Standard Twin Room

The only negative comment it that the lighting was poor and even with all the lights on it was dark. The bed was a little soft for my personal taste.

The room was far too hot, no fan etc my partner used the...

The room was far too hot, no fan etc my partner used the shower and sprayed deodorant about an hour later hotel manager and some sort of bouncer/ security came up to the room asking if we’d been smoking! Both of us are non smokers. Downstairs stank of fish which still lingered when we left the next morning.

Fine for what I needed. Didn't spend much time in the hotel which was a shame.

Noisy on Sunday night due to a wedding function. Pillows were poor so had a sore neck. Need a choice of pillows as sore necks are common.

Nice hotel and room. Good shower. Didn't realise the pool was so large which was unfortunate as I didn't have time to enjoy it.

It was lovely we went for a wedding and we couldn't if...

It was lovely we went for a wedding and we couldn't if enjoyed our day more than what we did.the staff were amazing with everyone would definetly be back

The staff are lovely and friendly, check in and check out...

The staff are lovely and friendly, check in and check out was straightforward, the extra large double bed was super comfy. The hotel is lovely and quiet and gave us a great nights sleep. The use of the pool and sauna was an added bonus.

Pool, staff, room and bar very nice

Join in bed where single beds had been put together was very annoying until on the 3rd night stay staff put mattress topper on

Pool, staff, room and bar very nice

Perfect for a short get away

This hotel is in a great location, only 15-20 minutes away from Newcastle and Durham and there is also the Boldon Business Park with food and cinema just a few minutes walk away. The hotel was comfortable, clean and the staff were helpful and friendly. I was very impressed with being able to use the gym and swimming pool facilities, this was a great bonus. Would recommend this hotel.

Short but sweet!

Breakfast buffet had been left under the hot lamps too long, including the melon slices! Cooked eggs were very good though :-)

Very friendly staff :-)

Nice convenient hotel, but need more waiting on staff.

There wasnt enough staff at breakfast and when food ran out, such as fruit, they werent replenished quickly, if at all. One member of staff serving at breakfast was quite rude when I asked if a particular food was going to be replenished, but I guess it was because she was run off her feet. The room we had was very hot even without the heating on and the window did not open far enough to let cooler air in. On the last night we were given a fan, but it was very noisy.

The room was really lovely and clean and the bathroom was gorgeous

I was not informed that I would need to have my credit or...

I was not informed that I would need to have my credit or debit card with me upon arrival and was waiting upon a new debit card arriving in the post so it caused a little awkwardness at the check-in desk but this was sorted out rather quickly

I'll be back

All the staff were happy and helpful, the bed was large and very comfortable, a good choice at breakfast, the poached eggs were cooked to perfection, there is plenty of parking.

Somewhat disappointing.
    • Standard Twin Room

I was travelling with my elderly parents (the ‘family’ option in your feedback sheet only included having children under 18). Although there were two people in a room, only one key was issued, despite a second being requested. In each room there was one bottle of still water, and one of sparkling. If two people are in a room, there should be two of each. Some of the lights in each of our rooms, were not working. We felt that generally, the Hotel had gone down a bit since we were last there. The breakfast was ok, not great, especially the scrambled eggs, which were very dry and over cooked. There were no clean plates, so we had to use serviettes as plates for our toast. The first day we were not asked about tea or coffee, and there seemed to be only one person on duty, and she was helpful, if asked, but did not check that tables were fully set. For example, we had to get sugar and jams from other tables. The second morning, there were more staff there, and so things were better. The attention to detail, especially in the customer service area, was poor. An excellent staff anticipate a client’s needs, and if a client requests something reasonable, like a second room key, it really is not acceptable, that a reasonable request like that is refused. The staff were polite and friendly, but I think there needs to be more staff.

Staff were friendly and helpful.
    • Standard Family Room

When we arrived our room smelt strongly of alcohol. This was quickly dealt with by the staff and we were given free drinks while we waited.

Staff were friendly and helpful. It was great to have access to a swimming pool.

Will definitely book again if I am in the area and might bring my swimwear next time.

My tea at breakfast didn't taste very nice. Either the water was very hard or the cup had not been rinsed properly. I was not able to finish my drink.

The huge bed. The shower. The biscuits. The buffet breakfast. The friendly staff on reception and in the restaurant.

Waste of money . Apparently we should of went to reception and asked to change rooms , even thou it

The room we had was nxt to the pool filtration system and it kept us awake even with the window shut !!!! And the beds are two singles pushed together with a mattress topper on , but ours didn’t have the mattress topper which meant the beds were two different heights. The hotel that nite had 29 empty rooms and they gave us that one . Apparently the mattress topper was at the dry cleaners so surely that room shouldn’t of been used !!! We complained about it and we have since rang the hotel but still waiting for a reply !!!!! Poorly run hotel , we stayed the nite for a relaxing break but was really disappointing. Total waste off money .

Hotel is nice with lovely pool area . Breakfast nice

Overall very good

Breakfast was expensive and not cooked to order. Sat around and swimming in grease. However they cook the eggs fresh for you, so why not the whole breakfast??

Good location, near a great cinema and restaurants. Really friendly staff who made me feel welcome. Bar food was quite good as well. Room nice and had tea, coffee and hot choc which is a bonus.

Amazing, friendly and clean

Although it can’t be helped my room was passed outside by staff dragging trolleys etc but that’s the only thing I could fault

Amazing to see the functions that you allow, the outside space was really nice and clean

Average

The bed was awful as it was two singles joined together and the mattress protector wasn’t thick enough to hide this!

The room was lovely and clean and the facilities were spot on

Very convenient location for our stay in the area.

Rooms in our opinion still not to required standard. Bulbs missing from lamp, very dusty in areas like the space where a fridge would be. Check in staff not very attentive while checking us in. When asked questions we had to repeat ourselves as the check in staff where doing multiple things while checking us in.

Location of the hotel to family and friends living close by.

Excellent.
    • Standard Family Room

A silly dislike, but I guess I just wish this hotel was in a nice location! Like out in the country and not in a business park! :)

This hotel really lived up to the great reviews; it was fantastic and despite only living in North Tyneside, I think we will be back. The room was excellent, beds really comfortable, heat was just fine, there were lots of little extras ( bottled water - glass bottles too!, toiletries, biscuits and a good range of drinks) and it was really quiet. The fixtures and fittings were excellent; I really liked the bathroom decor in particular, all the building work and finishings were faultless. It was spotlessly clean. I don't think I have ever been in a cleaner hotel. The spa ( pool, jacuzzi, sauna and steam room) was great too and we almost had it all to ourselves. I wish we had used the gym as well. The food was fab; we ate in the bar in the evening and the food was of a really good standard. I had fish and chips they were delish. Finally, the staff....so helpful and friendly, right from the reception desk to the cleaners. Brilliant,.

An excellent hotel for business stays.

Observations. Unsustainable use of plastic in shampoo/conditioner bottles and individual packs (food spreads) in the restaurant. I am a vegan. The Quality Hotel catered for vegans but was rather limited. No plant based milk equivalent at Breakfast. Evening meal (stuffed pepper with boiled potatoes and watercress) was not nutritionally balanced - no protein.

The location was great for my purposes. The attached leisure centre exceeded expectations. Staff were superb. Good car parking facilities. Room very comfortable; huge bed. Restaurant - very good.

Nice, comfortable stay, ideal for our needs.

Checking in and out was pleasant as the receptionist was friendly and efficient. The room was modern and spotless with a very comfortable bed. Arrived hungry at three in the afternoon so a reasonably priced, tasty bar meal was a plus.

We'reseasoned travellers and we would be very happy to stay here again.

Nothing. The only comment I would make is that the staff didn't know what time breakfast finished. We were given three different times which meant we were late on one occasion, and, although it was sorted out and we had a normal breakfast, it does need to be communicated more accurately!

Everything was well thought out from the standard size kettle to the positing of plug sockets and hairdryer. Bath as well as shower with good pressure of very hot water. There were also excellent extras, including bottled water and toiletries

Well priced, clean and comfortable hotel. Staff pleasant and welcoming.

Breakfast slight issue as hardly anything left although should have still been serving for another 45mim. Staff sorted promptly when asked for cooked items...but had to ask.

Modern and clean room with comfy bed. Excellent facilities and location

Nice place but member of staff was poor

Member of staff on checkout, organised alarm call , didn’t happen so put me behind and staff member said wasn’t my fault I wasn’t here so tough, tried to charge me twice for breakfast as she didn’t seem to believe I had prepaid I then had to phone for receipt as was not given one

Nearly all of it

Hotel noise

A party of girls partying till 4am, no sleep untill manager sorted it after 2 complaints and was awaken by staff at 730 in the room next door marked private and later found out it was a staff room, would not stay in 108 again

Our room was large, clean and the bed was comfy, the resturant was great, fantastic meal good value for money, all staff were friendly despite not being asked on leaving did we enjoy our stay

Better than Premier Inns

Minor Point Would have liked to had an adjustable shaving mirror

The room was very comfortable and we enjoyed the breakfast. Staff were very happy to help and went the extra mile. Facilities were excellent. I would definitely stay at this hotel again

Stayed at the hotel for a bit of R&R and thoroughly enjoyed my stay.

Lovely comfy room and bed. Chose this hotel for the leisure facilities and enjoyed both a late afternoon and early morning swim, and visited the sauna, steam room & jacuzzi, all excellent! Staff all very helpful and friendly :-)

Great for families or business.

Would be helpful to know that there was a fridge in the room beforehand. The room was on the First floor with no A/C so was very hot and the open window was facing the A19 and the A/C plant so hot or loud were the choices.

Big room. Good toiletries. Liked the fridge.Staff were very friendly and the whole place looks lovely. The facilities were excellent - the pool was great.

Business trip perfection

Everything about this hotel was perfect for a business stay Staff very friendly and helpful Rooms very nice, clean and spacious bar and restaurant again very good and food was first class will definitely be using this hotel again for any business trips to the area

Comfortable room, comfortable bed, helpful and friendly...
    • Standard Twin Room

Bar and food prices a little high, noisy kids running around the corridor late on Saturday night.

Comfortable room, comfortable bed, helpful and friendly front desk staff

Overall a great stay, clean ans friendly.

I didnt like that even though the pool and gym closed at 8 the "pool boy" as he called himself began his "you need to get ready to leave" round at 7.15

Staff were natural and very friendly. We ate in the bar and our waitress was super. Room was clean, comfy and the bathroom was well equipped. Leisure and gym areas were fantastic and not to busy.

Been there before; will go there again.

Slightly noisy/clunky heating system in the room, but it did work.

It's the staff who really make this place; they are unfailingly helpful and welcoming. Even though the hotel hosts functions and other events, decent soundproofing between the main part of the hotel and the bedroom corridors ensures that sleep is still an option!

disappointing
    • Standard Twin Room

the staff at breakfast were too busy to tell us what we could have nobody took our room number or told us what had to be ordered the bacon was not cooked properly and we were not told that you had to order toast and that you could order fried or poached eggs the girls that were serving did there best but there was only two of them very poor service on checking in we were not given a key card because they didn't have enough

bed was comfy that's about it

The staff they were very helpful and welcoming.

I booked a double bed and we thought we would get a double bed but in fact it was two single beds put together.

The staff they were very helpful and welcoming. The room was just about perfect.

The bed was big , lovely and comfortable rooms very clean...

staff was friendly but when i checked in we was only given the key . Was not given information on breakfast times. also we reported that the TV was not working in our room on the Saturday evening and then had to report it again on the Sunday afternoon as no one came to fix it. other than them 2 minor things our stay would have been perfect.

The bed was big , lovely and comfortable rooms very clean and the gym and spa was great

Eventful !

There was no running water due to a burst pipe, not down to the hotel so they did offer a swap to an alternative which I accepted but had to travel 25 mins in the dreadful snow to get there.

Comfortable room and bar/restaurant really good value

None residents came in a assaulted a guest. The night security guy did absolutely nothing. The whole incident was intimidating and would make me look for another hotel in the area next time. No apology from hotel upon leaving.

Comfortable room and bar/restaurant really good value

The room was not cleaned once an bed was not changed at all

The clean mess off room An bed An they wernt changed at all for the hole time I was there I won't full refund for the 4 days

The room was not cleaned once an bed was not changed at all

Lovely hotel

My partner and I book this hotel every year for the pool and spa facilities. Unfortunately the boiler had just been replaced which meant that the pool was freezing and the jacuzzi not much better. I’m already full of cold so ended up avoiding the pool which was disappointing as relaxing was the sole purpose of our stay. Having a new boiler fitted is a valid reason for this however it would have been nice to be informed of this before our arrival, as we probably would have rebooked for another time. That said the hotel and facilities are normally excellent so this shouldn’t put people off. Maybe the hotel could improve by communicating better with the guests.

This is the fourth time I’ve stayed at the quality hotel. It’s a lovely hotel with amazing rooms, there’s also lots of restaurants and a cinema nearby.

Excellent base for visiting friends and sightseeing .we had our little dog and was all looked after
    • Standard Twin Room

2lights kept going off but were on more than off in our room 105 and no marmalade pots (Paddington was annoyed ) .very minor things

Cumberland sausages and eggs for breakfast cooked fresh and to your taste ,cooking eggs sounds simple surprising how many hotels can't manage it ,no problems here ,

Disappointing on this occasion, although the staff are doing their best to make it bearable.

No hot water for days due to failed boilers...and a very large and very noisy air conditioner/heater situated next to the bed in my room 106 that switched on every 4 minutes, 24hrs a day due to icy cold air pouring in from the wall cavity around the air conditioning unit. Poor air sealing to the outside cold weather and way too large an air con unit for the room size meant it ran all the time ensuring poor sleep quality and an impossibility of watching TV unless silently or very loudly to overcome the aircon noise every few minutes. The boilers were replaced on the last day of my stay and hot water was restored just as I left.

The staff are all cheerful and helpful!! The beds are comfy. There’s a restaurant on site that serves breakfast and dinner and the bar serves food all day.

Very average lots of issues

No hot water for 2 days, no apology or info. 1.5 hours for room service only to be brought cold soup. Overcharged for breakfast for guests on my bill Cold poached eggs and arrived 10 mins after my breakfast

It was clean

Large room, very clean, lovely helpful staff.
    • Standard Family Room

Could provide travel cots. Bacon was a bit tough but rest of breakfast was lovely.

Large room, very clean, lovely helpful staff. Didn't use the pool on this stay but great bonus that we will take advantage of when we stay again.

Quality stay at the Quality

Efficient reception, light and airy restaurant with a remarkable waitress who worked the tables solo and never missed a beat. Easy to locate and park. Clean and well appointed room.

I only stayed one night. Staff were friendly, room was spacious and bed comfortable.

The sheets were clean but they had a blood stain. I didn't notice until I was leaving or I would have complained at the time.

The receptionist was so helpful and friendly. She is an asset to the hotel

Clean comfortable and respectful
    • Standard Twin Room

There was nothing I did not like.

Been here a few times as I have family in the area. Unfortunately it was my fathers funeral this time. Once the staff realised this they were respectful And offered their condolences.

Hotel was great.
    • Standard Family Room

I was quoted an estimate taxi fare by the hotel reception for a taxi into Newcastle but in reality rather than the £13;50 est. taxis were £22 on average to and from the city centre. It would be good if the hotel could book a fixed rate for taxis.

Hotel was great. Rooms clean and comfortable and staff all very nice.

Seems hotel more interested functions, rather than individual guests... Shame as nice place to stay

Room not made up and after waiting hour, gave up and complained again Restaurant breakfast was almost inedible, as had been on pass so long was totally dried out, even the ladles were too hot to handle Restaurant evening meal was poor and due to functions, made to wait too long, with function guests invading restaurant

I will NOT stay here again.

My room had a stupidly unnecessary and incredibly noisy combined heater & aircon unit: on the lowest fan speed I could not sleep for its noise, so I had to turn it off and woke up to a very cold room. Also, for such a large room, the wardrobe hanging space is absurdly tiny. The designer of this place should be in some other line of work!

Spacious well lit room, with a nice big desk for doing some work.

Overall a good stay.

Breakfast is very poor quality and most of the "hot" food wasn't. Very noisy air con in room - fortunately we did not use it at night.

Comfortable beds. Very good wi-fi. A very pleasant room

Other guests were screaming and running up and down the...

Other guests were screaming and running up and down the corridors till 4 am although hotel was clean and nice enough but the way people were going on was totally unacceptable

very good

I'm not too keen on the restaurant menu and price,s so I dine out.

I've stayed many times and always enjoy my stay here. The rooms are excellent along with the gym and pool.

Good value for money

Hardly any bathroom products left each day. No ice making facility - you have to go to the bar for ice Reported the light was off above the shaving mirror at the start of the stay plus the bathroom door was sticking making it difficult to open and close. Neitehr were taken cae of after 1 week of staying there.

Rooms were very clean. Staff pleasant.

first class if it don't live upto your expertations that your fault
    • Standard Family Room

there was nothing i didn't like

steak was done exactly as i asked everything was done just perfect will be using the hotel again staff were great could not do enough for us.

As always when I stay in hotels, the first impression when I...

As always when I stay in hotels, the first impression when I enter is the staff. I must say this hotel have fantastic staff, and for that reason I give this hotel team a 10 out of 10. I will be back one day.

Very friendly and welcoming hotel with good facilities.
    • Standard Twin Room

We have stade here twice in the last two months and both times the bathrooms were spotless but the rest of the rooms were very dusty as if not used for a while and all surfaces were very scratched. This didn’t spoil our stay though.

The location was excellent as were the facilities near to the hotel. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend this hotel to business or leisure users.

Loved every minute!

That I couldn’t stay longer

I’ve stayed at this hotel many of times before and that’s because it’s fantastic value for money. It’s very clean, modern, nice staff and has really good swimming facilities.

Won't be rushing back

There was a problem with our first room but got sorted quickly. There was a lot of noise and an incodent on our floor which wasn't very good

The pool and the steam room

came home very relaxed beds very comfortable and had 2 good nights sleep

Staff in restaurant to quick to take my plate I had a mouthful of toast and could not get my words out before waitress toOK the rest away. Breakfast was supposed to be till 10.30. However residents coming in at 10 found the breakfast food cleared away. I felt very rushed.

Loved this hotel Spa was great staff very friendly

My stay at Boldon hotel was good and I would come again.

Children running about the corridors early hours of the morning screaming this carried out for about an hour or two.

I liked that set out of the room as it was comfy and it was beautifu the beds were comfy.

The evening menu I thought was limited and the atmosphere in...

The evening menu I thought was limited and the atmosphere in the restaurant is horrible. Its not a relaxing area......maybe its because its very open with the side corridors separated by plants. I don't know, but its not a place for a relaxing meal. The staff were helpful and charming, but they always rushed around between tables......and this wasn't calming. Pity!

Convenient for family visits comfortable pleasant staff at a reasonable price

No concerns disappointed we couldn't have stayed longer

The hotel is so n a central location for South Shields, Newcastle and surrounding areas Although on the edge of a small trading estate it is well planned so as not to be disturbed by it

Room was extremely clean

Bed was advertised as as a kingsize however was just 2 single beds pushed together with a kingsize quilt so when you rolled over in the night it was a bit uncomfortable as you could feel where the beds had been pushed together

Room was extremely clean

excellent facilities, good food, very comfortable, perfect for relaxing and/or keeping fit

large bed very clean and modern room and bathroom modern looking hotel excellent small gym facility other leisure facilities available but i didnt get the chance to use all staff were very friendly

Clean modern efficient hotel with easy access and plenty of...
    • Standard Twin Room

Clean modern efficient hotel with easy access and plenty of car parking. Whilst close to major roads the room was quiet. Staff friendly and helpful. Would stay again if I was in the area. Great value.

Friendly staff, nice rooms. Pool area is a good addition.

I thought I had booked an extra large double bed - turned out to be two singles pushed together. So basically it was a single bed, unless you go in the middle and start falling through the join! It was the same for my colleague.

The staff were friendly and the room was nice

excellent, very clean , new spacouse rooms, big comfy bed, bay window for extra ligh. complimentary

could,nt fault it. as i said we were visiting relatives so did,nt eat or drink there. but the bar and meal menu looked very nice

bed was indeed extra comfy and the gym and pool were excellent, we were visiting relatives so did,nt eat or drink in the hotel.