Reviews of Bonningtons Stansted B&B 3 stars

George Green, Dell Lane, Bishops Stortford, CM22 7SP, United Kingdom

#6 of 9 B&Bs and Inns in Bishops Stortford

• Reviewed: 17 October 2018

The property was lovely we had a nice evening in the pub...
    • Small Double Room

The property was lovely we had a nice evening in the pub over the road then a great nights sleep and a quaint breakfast thank you for making my birthday special

• Reviewed: 12 October 2018

Lovely property in a nice location

No dedicated shower in my en suite

Great location, excellent breakfast facility, great staff and nice room. Local pub is good and right across the road. No vegetarian options on the menu though

• Reviewed: 4 October 2018

The room was not at all isolated and the planes were flying...
    • Economy Twin Room

The room was not at all isolated and the planes were flying very low over our heads until very late (after midnight), it was impossible to sleep. The breakfast was quite "industrial", no fresh bread or pastries of the day, very bad coffee.

• Reviewed: 20 September 2018

Really comfortable and quiet with a cottage feel 10min from the airport.

It would have been nice to have some shower gel and shampoo in the bathroom.

Really liked the self-contained ‘cottage style’ rooms as we did not disturb anyone when getting up really early to catch our flight.

• Reviewed: 20 September 2018

I would definitely recommend it to travelling friends. It was in a lovely area, plenty to see and do
    • Small Double Room

My other half makes beds so always critical of them. We both found the bed not too comfortable, it seemed to dip underneath. A bit if damp around the bed needs attending to before winter sets in. The breakfast room was lovely, but I would have liked a non-dairy milk for cereal and better quality bread, could eat what was there. My breakfast ended up being a croissant and a mini chocolate croissant and a tea.

The accommodation was lovely, very pretty setting. Although there were planes overhead most of the time, it didn't really bother me. Lovely clear sky at night, great for stargazers.

Great value for money & lovely location a lovely homely cozy surprise
    • Small Double Room

Nothing not to like it was perfect will definitely be going back again

Fabulous place, great reception from hosts very informative,we had the small double it was so cozy& a very comfortable bed, lots of outdoor seating areas as well, pub literally across the road, highly recommend 👍😀

6.0
    NOT GOOD.

Having to wait until exactly 4pm to gain access, and then being accused of being rude because I asked if we could have a room with a bath. The answer was quick,' we only have one room with a bath and it's been let'. I'd say go for it if you're only staying an hour.... but don't get there early.

All I can say is that the bed was too soft and the room so small, I should say tiny, but I am told that many people were happy with the guest house. We will not be returning.

Very quaint and neat!

No shampoo or bar soap was provided and my room only had a bathtub (no shower).

The owners are fantastic and very accommodating! The bed was very comfortable.

Nice property with plenty of character where your made to feel welcome.
    • Small Double Room

Personally prefer to have a shower rather than the bath which was available.

Handily located for our flight out of Stansted. Hostess was very welcoming. The meal at the The George Pub was good value.

Good location for bishops stortford and the airport,...
    • Small Double Room

Parking charge not managed through booking.com communications leading to confusion on both sides, perhaps better to email/phone owner directly

Good location for bishops stortford and the airport, friendly welcome, good enough facilities for a short stay

Love Bonningtons , will be back ..10/10 value for money

only staying one night :-(

brilliant place , lovely setting and great pub across the road , The George ..will be stopping there again ,no dobt ..great staff very friendly and accomadating ...10/10 on all fronts

Lovely. Great stay. Perfectly good location easy to get to the airport. Breakfast was great choice!

More pillows as an option!

The staff were absolutely lovely.. we arrived and were left a note as we wanted a late check in and everything was self explanatory. Breakfast was a great choice and help yourself which made it more relaxed and fitted in with our plans! Definitely recommend!

Excellent airport stop over hotel
    • Economy Twin Room

Excellent location and rooms were quaint and homely breakfast was amazing so much choice and lovely to be able to help self and enjoy rest time without being rushed

• Economy Twin Room

Out of date bread and crumpets in breakfast room, tissue and rubbish under the bed. uncomfy beds and bedding, loads of big cobwebs everywhere.

Highly recommended for a relaxing & quiet stay.

Bed was a little soft & pilows too thin. Croissants cold & dry, have a hot plate maybe?

Room was charming & set in beautiful grounds. Owner incredibly friendly & helpful. Very good value for money.

Very pleasant and all I need in a B&B.
    • Small Double Room

This isn't a gripe at the Bennington's ,more a reminder to future guests that the location does lie in the take off/landing flight path to Stanstead airport and as such there is aircraft noise. We would normally pack earplugs but forgot this time. I find leaving the TV on at a low volume does a good job of negating the flight noise. Anyway I will stay here again for sure.

Our host greeted us in a friendly manner even though we were later than anticipated and showed us to our room, then as we were likely to be away early ,he made sure we knew the routine for breakfast etc. Very pleasant location and for the cost excellent value for money.

Very Enjoyable.
    • Economy Twin Room

The hosts were very friendly and we felt very welcome. I liked the self service breakfast which had fresh fruit, assorted breads, cheese, ham, cereals, coffee Tea. Would stay here again

Nice situation, great local pub, cute but disappointing brekkie.

In Stansted flight path, noisier than expected, woke us up. Breakfast a bit basic, usually enjoy a lovely cooked breakfast at a B&B, this was cereal and a toaster so we went out for brekkie. Not enough pillows on bed, very thin.

Sweet, compact room. Good value for money.

Very happy stay!
    • Small Double Room

It was very comfortable, warm and homely and we received a wonderful welcome and friendly customer service from the owners during our overnight stay. Enjoyed our morning breakfast where we had a variety of food to choose from, fruit, toast, pastries, cereal, yoghurt and drinks. Couldn't have asked for more and would definitely return if we were in the area again. Highly recommend!

Warm comfortable return stay.
    • Small Double Room

Left too early to really enjoy the breakfast setting.

Warm and cosy room with shower. Brilliant continental breakfast facilities and choice available for early departures with filter coffee. Very hospitable hosts. Pub restaurant directly opposite with good menu choice. Off road parking, 18 minutes to airport.

- good location in a quiet street at close enough to a pub...

- nothing really

- good location in a quiet street at close enough to a pub and within easy driving distance of Stansted Airport - good WiFi - helpful staff, flexible in accommodating individual needs

Excellent stay. I would recommend

I was met by the owner with a warm welcome and a smile. The room was clean, tidy and quite modern. I stayed in room 6 and the WiFi had a great signal. There was a pub literally 40 yards over the road with lovely food. You’re left to help yourself to breakfast. Great stay.

Four out of ten

What I didn’t like is written in the above box!

No water glasses in the room - I did not like having the bed against the wall - I could not turn off the bedside light without getting out of bed. It would have been nice if the owner said hello when we were having breakfast (in a cold room) - she just put her head in to ask if we had knocked at the door.

A very nice B&B.

The only thing I would like to say is that the Mattress needs renewing,as you keep rolling into the middle. The aircraft from near by Stanstead Airport was noisey but it stopped late evening.

Very nice B&B, nice bedroom & bathroom. The Breakfast room is lovely. Its in a nice rural setting. I would book again.

The room was clean and tidy and host very friendly

Breakfast was basic continental and did not find out until after booking. Room was missing things like bedside table , glass in bathroom

The room was clean and tidy and host very friendly

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

Great place to stay, especially if your flight is at Stansted airport the next day!

The only thing that was a little bit of a hassle was the space of the shower, it didn't have anything to divide the water from the rest of the bathroom so there was quite a bit of water on the floor which made it really slippery.

I arrived late due to heavy traffic from Heathrow airport but the hosts were really thoughtful and left a note on the main door giving me all the information I needed to feel comfortable! I really liked the space in my room (number 5), it was comfy and very homely. The breakfast (which had a good variety) was situated in a really cute open space where lots of light came through in the morning.

Stayed for a social visit, was thoroughly impressed! Thank you :)

Couldn't fault anything!

Really welcoming at the house. Lovely tranquil settings with a pub opposite. Everything was emaculate and clean. Comfy bed. Had everything we needed for the nights stay!

was there 2 nites and overall was a good stay

heat was a problem as every thing was by space heater not a u.s. kind of situation breakfast was continental do it yourself----

VERY pleasant environment ---- host was courteous and helpful

A very pleasant stay!

A bonus that breakfast was included - though there was some mouldy fruit, might need to check the fruit basket more often

A lovely room for what i needed it for. The room was very cute, bed was comfortable and the bathroom was a good size!

good place for Stansted and pretty in own right

Sound proofing between rooms isn't great but fine assuming neighbours are considerate.

I really like the relaxed attitude to arrival and breakfast; basically sorting out yourself without worrying and specifying time.

Location was convenient, close to family we were visiting.
    • Economy Twin Room

Room had only a bath tub, no shower. The roof sloped low over the bath tub. Made it difficult to use.

Location was convenient, close to family we were visiting. Liked the self serve breakfast area.

One night stay at Bonnington's which was not connected with trying to access Stansted airport.

I guess for most people stay here in order to access Stansted airport -which is quite close and I had noticed noise from airplanes which were passing quite close on that day.

I was just staying at Bonnington's for one night for a party nearby.

Wonderful stay in beautiful surroundings
    • Economy Twin Room

That we couldn't stay longer

Loved that we were in the Coach-house, soooo cosy. Loved the breakfast room & the choice of foods available. The accomodation & setting was fabulous with a fantastic pub just across the road that also did fantastic food as well as a large choice of ales & ciders.

I was left standing in the rain

At the booking they say no check in before 16.00. My arrival was announced for inbetween 17.00 to 18.00. When I arrived the door was locked. Nobody was there. I tried all 3 different phone numbers. Nobody answered. I thought now at the last day of a 2 weeks journey without any problem I am stuck and have to search for accomodation on my last evening in Britain. Then after several more trys at the phone numbers given the man of the house appeared from his workshop. He was friendly and said his wife should be here where she wasn´t. If you have a business you have to be there! It is impolite to leave your guests standing in the rain without any information. Not even a "I am sorry".

It is good for a one nights stay if you have to get a flight at stansted early in the morning. Quite close to the airport. The best thing is the nice pub on the other side of the road. The staff at this pub is very friendly and the food is nice.

• Small Double Room

If you book through Booking.com then all the toiletries will be taken from your bathroom! Apparently you only get them if you book direct. Imagine most people only stay 1 night, we stayed for 2 and the bed wasn't made nor room cleaned, again possibly as a result of using Booking.com

If you are using this as a base to fly from Stanstead then it's ideal, being on the flight-path, as you'll hear

Wish I had not bothered
    • Economy Twin Room

Under flight path for Stanstead. Cold, gap under door. Bed against the wall, not good for night visits to toilet. Breakfast adequate, but cooked would be much better, even if it was for a bit more money.

Staff very nice, clear and friendly.

Superb location very welcoming owners, perfect location for the local bus to Stansted.

Leaving, we'll be back.

Such a lovely welcome from Peter when we arrived late, nothing was too much trouble. Even the directions for the local bus was spot on. Such a cosy place and perfect for our flight the next day from Stansted. Breakfast was great, help yourself and all fresh items to choose from.

Had a great and comfortable stay here. I would recommend to anyone as suitable for all ages!
    • Small Double Room

The decoration was lovely and felt very homely. Got a good vibe from the rooms which were like mini houses ! It was a Very nice and pleasant experience and would stay here again :)

Great idea. Poor execution.

How much softener do you need on bed sheets? My eyes were burning. I woke up choking and considered moving to my car. I had to lie on a coat and put my cardigan over the pillow so I could breathe. Not something I have experienced in a hotel ever before! The wet room. Badly laid out. No towel rails. Towel on floor to stop water running on to carpet in bedroom. Badly thought out. Badly finished. Tardy. The breakfast room wasn't opened in the morning and I had to listen to other guests congregate outside my room at 7:45 and complain waiting for it to open.

The breakfast room is lovely, with good cold selection. Located not far from the airport, so be prepared for lots of planes. Situated in nice countryside, opposite decent pub.

Just a perfect little room.
    • Small Double Room

The room brochure needed breakfast timings- such a tiny tweak to an otherwise lovely place to stay.

Breakfast was more varied than expected (and very tasty), the room was so cosy, and it was really easy to check in late.

Comfortable, flexible and well situated for Stansted

With leaving for a very early flight and returning a few days later after midnight, the hosts could not have been more helpful. The room was comfortable without being luxurious and of a reasonable size. A good breakfast of coffee, tea, juice, yoghurts, cereals, breads, pastries is permanently available and travel to and from Stansted is simple. With the low prices for leaving my car this was easily the best way to take advantage of the much cheaper flights at antisocial times of day.

Lovely stay at Bonningtons
    • Small Double Room

Lovely breakfast room and very friendly and helpful owners. Perfect position just outside a lovely town. Close to Stanstead Airport and across the road from a great pub.

A great place for a stopover on route to southern England
    • Economy Twin Room

We received a very warm welcome from Angela and our room (2) was very pleasant. We were upstairs and had a small lobby with easy chairs to ourselves as fortunately the other room (3) was unoccupied. It was a very hot day and Angela had kept the blinds closed to help keep it cool. Room 2 had 2 single beds both very comfortable and a decent sized bathroom with an over the bath shower attachment. The breakfast room was very pleasant and it was all "help yourself" to a very well stocked continental breakfast as advertised in the booking so we never expected hot food. There was plenty of space for parking and just a few steps across the road was a great pub The George for food ( particularly their excellent range of sausages) The accommodation is in the direct flight path for Stansted but flights seemed to stop about 11 and didn't start until 7am. so not a problem.

Cosy one night stayover!
    • Small Double Room

Whilst the bed was very pretty & appeared squishy & inviting......it was such a soft springy matress that it was a real struggle for two of us in the same bed. Luckily we didn't mind sleeping rolled up into each other (there wasn't much choice otherwise!) It probably wouldn't be a problem for one person staying but for a couple it was a litttle difficult for the one nearest the wall to get up as the bed was against the wall on one side. As the bed was extremely squishy & springy & also a very pretty metal bed with a bottom end with knobs on, one couldn't climb out the end either. The only option is to climb over the other person with much boinging & springing (& much hilarity, if nothing else!)................or ask them to get out! Also whilst the bathroom was small & very nicely decorated & furnished there were slight shower issues. It was an 'Italien' style shower but the angle of the floor was not quite enough for the water to drain away fast enough resulting in water flooding the rest of the small bathroom & a very sodden bathmat! Made it not quite such a nice showertime for the next person as everything was soaked! Maybe this could be looked at it was otherwise a great shower!

Pretty house in a nice little village & a lovely, warm & friendly welcome. The room was delightful. Small but very comfotable & it had everything you could want from a comfy armchair each & tea & a kettle! Very tastefully decorated & srupulously clean. It really felt like you were in your own little cottage in the woods! Was worried we might have been disturbed by other guests leaving in the very early hours to catch flights but didn't hear a thing & slept right through. Neither did being under the Stansted flight path intrude on our stay. It was enjoyable to pop over the pathway to sit in the conservatory for our breakfast which was self service/buffet style continental. All in all it was a very cosy one night stay. Thank you!

Decent B&B at a good price.

Wifi reception in room was poor. On flight route from Stanstead.

Well located property, good value 'coach house' style accommodation way from the main house. Good size and good quality room with outside seating area. Decent pub less than 100 metres away

Perfect stopover for Stanstead Airport

Nothing to dislike

The room was ideal for a short stopover. The breakfast building was especially good giving you the option to cater for yourself. I will look to use again if flying from Stanstead.

I would happily come back. I will recommend to anyone who needs somewhere to stay before flying.
    • Small Double Room

Our bedroom was tiny. But for the price we paid this was fair enough.

The breakfast was in a lovely room separate from the accommodation. A good selection of food at breakfast. The hosts were friendly and thoughtful.

• Reviewed: 21 April 2017

Excellent overnight stay
    • Small Double Room

Very clean and comfortable, small private "cabin" style accommodation. Very nice breakfast room with everything needed for a continental style breakfast. Very pleasant and helpful host. Great little village pub 100 paces from the door with super food. Great value for money. Super for an overnighter. Didn't use it for this purpose this time, but will use it for Standsted airport trips in the future. What else would you want?

• Reviewed: 14 April 2017

Good value for
    • Small Double Room

The room was just a little dated and the quality of breakfast could have been a little better but for the money was actually pretty good!

Good breakfast room, value for money, nice surroundings

• Reviewed: 8 March 2017

Comfortable and Friendly

minor point xpelair fan in shower didn't work

Quiet location Easy to find Breakfast on a help yourself basis - good explanation of what was available by host when checking in. Check out simple

Conveniently close to Stansted and so cute!
    • Small Double Room

Noting is horribly wrong with this b&b. I would (and will) definitely visit again. Breakfast room was a bit cold, as we had an early start. Some condiments like Nutella and peanut butter were almost empty and I couldn't find a way to warm up milk. I would suggest maybe adding a microwave for warming up food (if there is one I appologize for being blind).

Our hostess was friendly and helpfull. We enjoyed staying in big instead of small room, as the big room was available. The room was warm, tastefully decorated and really cosy, wi-fi worked perfectly. Both bathroom and room itself were spotless. We also loved the breakfast room and good selection of food and drinks. It is a self-serve breakfast and conveniently for early departures it opens at 4am.

A relaxing night before a flight

Water was a bit slow but we managed, if your rushing to a flight, just give a bit of extra time for a full bath

We enjoyed having the top of the annex to ourselves, perfect four a family of four as one room is a double and the other two single beds, very handy for stanstead without the plastic feel of on-site airport hotels

• Reviewed: 15 February 2017

Close enough to stansted for stop over
    • Small Double Room

Where the bed was located the sloping ceiling above meant I bumped my shoulder when I got in or out if bed, the footboard had high knobs and stuck in my tummy if I bent over it to avoiding my shoulder. The bathroom had a hand shower over the bath, the water wasn't hot enough to run a bath, standing up after a sitting shower in the bath was awkward with the sloping ceiling. The breakfast was self service continental, all cold items but would have been nicer with an option of a hot choice for the men.

Separate accommodation from the main office/house

• Reviewed: 5 February 2017

Lovely comfortable B and B, excellent value and perfect for getting to and from the airport.

I arrived in the dark and it took ages to find the place. I had to ask at a neighbour in the end! Sign posts in the village could be better.

Excellent room with really comfy bed and lovely cosy sofa to curl up on! Owner really helpful and I loved the breakfast room too. Fantastic value for the price, all of it!

• Reviewed: 30 January 2017

Lovely weekend in the perfect location!
    • Small Double Room

There was nothing we didn't like the whole weekend was great!

Absolutely loved this guest house. Perfect location only 5 minute drive into the bustling town of Bishops Stortford with on site parking. From the warm greeting on arrival by Angela to the beautiful room, decor and cleanliness of the room our weekend was just so lovely & relaxing. The breakfast room was lovely. A great choice of cereals, lovely bread, croissants, crumpets, waffles and jams as well as hot & cold drinks.. Just a lovely way to take self service breakfast. We loved every minute of this weekend experience.

• Reviewed: 13 December 2016

Excactly what was needed. Great value.

Breakfast selection was excellent. Were flexible about the check in and check . Father in Law liked it so much booked there are then for the following weekend.

• Reviewed: 12 December 2016

Romantic property in the English countryside - if that...

It's a bit in the middle of nowhere, you can take a long walk but that's about it - for anything else you'll need a taxi.

Romantic property in the English countryside - if that sounds like your thing, go for it!

• Reviewed: 15 November 2016

Great location, comfortable but a little "tired" in places
    • Small Double Room

The room is comfortable but the floors are showing signs of wear and could do with being refreshed, some broken tiles in the shower and cracked laminate in the bedroom.

Great location and the George pub across the road could not be more convenient. The breakfast facilities were excellent, I particularly liked the self service approach which meant I could take as much or as little time as I wanted. I had an early start so settled up on arrival and, after a decent breakfast, left at my own pace with no fuss.

• Reviewed: 30 October 2016

Good Stansted stopover
    • Small Double Room

The water is very hard so unfortunately the tea in our room was undrinkable - maybe a kettle with filter would be good.

Really good value and just right for a stop over after flying in to Stansted. Decent self service breakfast, fluffy bed sheets and easy late check in. Easy to find and friendly host.

• Reviewed: 27 October 2016

Perfect for the purpose of our visit and would book again.

Everything fine. Think my hubby would have liked a cooked breakfast.

Comfortable and warm ideal location for the purpose of our visit. Very friendly host.

• Reviewed: 26 October 2016

Pros and cons
    • Small Double Room

There was a dangerous unmarked concrete step in the middle of the bedroom. The knobs in the shower were difficult to turn initially. The water in the shower turned cold after some time in the morning.

Neatly decorated dining room. The whole place was clean. The bed was large and comfortable. Not far from Stansted, but not very close either - a taxi cost £20. The late check-in instructions were e-mailed in advance and were clear. On my request, a hairdryer was waiting for us in the bedroom.

• Reviewed: 19 October 2016

Comfy and friendly
    • Small Double Room

The airport noise very loud - but what one should expect,

The room, including the bed, bathroom etc all fine. The breakfast room well stocked for choice and easy going help yourself system.

• Reviewed: 10 October 2018

Great location, excellent facilitied
    • Economy Twin Room

Great place, excellent location for Stansted. Self service breakfast was really good

• Reviewed: 5 October 2018

Did exactly what I wanted it to do.

Very close to Bishops Stortford where i was working for a couple of days. Great pub over the road for meals. Very comfortable overall.

• Reviewed: 1 October 2018

Lovely rooms with comfy beds, in a good location, a great...

Lovely rooms with comfy beds, in a good location, a great place to stay, and would definately recommend it.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2018

Comfy, clean, friendly

Planes 🛬

Comfy, clean, friendly

Basic facilities but relatively close to the airport
    • Economy Twin Room

small room, no shower only bath, very basic breakfast with old instant coffee. need GPS to find the B&B.

provision was made for late arrival

D
    • Economy Twin Room

Can't think of anything. ...Good value for money

Plenty of choice for breakfast we were not hurried at all

quaint room, excellent breakfast.
    • Small Double Room

Room was small, double bed hard again'st the wall on one side, had to climb over my husband to get in.

quaint room, excellent breakfast.

Super convenient.
    • Small Double Room

Super convenient. We arrived late and left early. The owners were very accommodating. The place is clean and well finished.

Great value, comfortable B&B

Convenient, excellent value for money and very comfortable room with good continental breakfast.

Very friendly staff

Electronic card payment did not work.

Very friendly staff

Very pleasant would definately return
    • Economy Twin Room

very friendly staff and gorgeous location

Such a lovely b&b the owners were very welcoming and...
    • Economy Twin Room

Such a lovely b&b the owners were very welcoming and gave us plenty of info. Very quaint breakfast room with personal touch.

Good couple break