Reviews of Bridge Inn by Good Night Inns 2 stars

Bolton Road, Port Sunlight, CH62 4UQ, United Kingdom

#2 of 2 hotels in Port Sunlight

Disappointing, badly in need of TLC. Staff friendly and helpful and restaurant good.

Check in was difficult, no staff at reception, took 15 minutes to find anyone as notice said to ask in restaurant but the only person there behind the bar was busy. General appearance of hotel and rooms is tired and worn, chipped paint and threadbare stair carpet. Bed hard, asked for an extra duvet to sleep on which was readily provided. Hottest week of the year but fan did not work, again readily exchanged. Water pressure none existent and shower temperature very difficult to control.

The staff were pleasant and helpful. Restaurant food and service good.

See you next time

Our second visit and we were more than pleased.Our family live in and around the area we like the atmosfer and the comarady It will always be our first port of call when we are back in the area. Will cetainly reco

Allowed us to book in early .

Allowed us to book in early .It was my brothers funeral and they let me and my sons use the room to get changed having drove up from nottingham.Friendly helpful staff

Dissappointed as facilities old as opposed to quaint. Staff helpful when asked but detatched attitud

Reception could be more welcoming. Could offer help with disabled or elderly guests.

Perfect location to explore the village and Merseyside. Quaint although old

Fair. Not up to previous standards.

Extractor fan and lack of tea/ coffee

Have previously stayed here. Staff always friendly. Rooms large and bedscomfortable. Overall a bit tired but so what - excellent value for money. Restaurant and bar popular - get in early to avoid disappointment. On the debit side avoid Room 12. The kitchen extractor fan sounds like a diesel generator and if there’a a function on downstairs.... A minor whinge - as a single guest hospitality is restricted to one tea bag and one coffee. Come on guys! Notwithstanding, would still book again, and Port sunlight is a great setting.

Not enough sleep, not enough food.

Restaurant closes at 9. I was checked in at 8.30 and wasn't told this, so I unpacked and came down and it was shut. Had to go a mile to a take away. The decor is tired, the heating cooling is primitive. Bed feels like the mattress has hosted a few too many wedding receptions. I was woken up by a noisy delivery at 3.45 am. To check in and out you have to go hunting for staff.

I love Port Sunlight and this place has plenty of car park space. It's a historic building.

Good value for money and perfect location to walk around Port Sunlight. Close to train station.

Mattress was a little bit old, but was ok.

I liked the the cosy room. The room was comfortable. The food in the pub was great! Had a lovely steak dinner and a pint for only 9.49. I slept well.

Great hotel. Wonderfull staff, lovely location - highly recommended.

No negatives - was all good stuff.

The staff at The Bridge Inn are fantastic. James on the desk was amazing, as was everybody else - we where there for my daughters wedding at nearby Hume Hall (also recommended) and your team not only took great care of us and my daughter but also arranged use of a separate room so the bride & bridesmaids could easily get ready in style! Great location too.

disappointing

Tried to ring the hotel twice to raise some queries - no one could help - "internet was down" No soap or toiletries in the room Tried to get a late drink - hotel said the bar was closed - ok, but barman and several others were drinking at the time No one on reception till 8am - needed to leave at 7:15am Poor customer-facing skills at reception - no empathy / welcoming face, with customers

Not much

The bed was comfortable.

The upholstery was perhaps from the 1970s, and although charming from outside, the interior looked a bit dingy. The room was not cleaned even once during the six nights of my stay even after I requested the cleaning lady. But of course, I did not know what instructions she received.

The bed was comfortable. I really liked the scrambled eggs made by the member of staff called Maria. But it came out of the microwave on days when she was not there. I asked for fresh fruits and was told they didn't have it. Then I saw another customer getting a bowl of fresh fruits.

Friendly, clean, comfortable and excellent value

The croissants. No heating - very cold at night and in the morning

Staff brought a blanket with no fuss Staff were friendly and helpful Parts of building getting a little tired but very clean and comfortable Food good and very good value. BUT a shame about the croissants which could not be described as fresh, fluffy of flaky! Many thanks - would come again - see TripAdvisor entry

A pleasant stay

The hotel is in need of a little TLC in the communal areas and our room only had a view of a roof but we didn't worry about that. We found the water pressure wasn't great for having a shower but there was plenty of hot water.

The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The hotel is ideally situated for exploring the lovely village of Port Sunlight. The food in the restaurant was of a good standard and reasonably priced.

Brilliant, going to stay again soon.

We stayed for just 1 night at The Bridge Inn, it's in a lovely location, Port Sunlight is a lovely pretty little village. Our room was brilliant, large, spacious, clean and comfortable with a large bathroom. We had our evening meal there which was served fresh and very hot, we also had a great breakfast. The staff were very friendly and very accommodating. Already planning another visit to stay!!

Initially i was not happy because the room window facing to...

Initially i was not happy because the room window facing to cemetery. Later i requested to change the room she (staff not sure her name thin young lady between 20-25) is very helpful and changed the room with no extra cost. Thank you.

A dreadful place to stay they obviously

The bed was soft and springs were pushing up into you, The tea/coffee tray was minimal with only one cup when there were two of us staying, The shower was a waist of time no water pressure and the shower gel/soap poor quality and only a small amount. Reception was never manned had to wait to book in and book out

The location is great

Was a great choice for our stay.

People who are noisy in the early hours

Staff and location excellent but hotel in need of a facelift - stunning building which could do with a bit more tlc

Enjoyed stay. Staff great. They all worked very hard.

Room needs paint work particularly re decorating . Walls could do with a little too. Would make a big difference as carpet etc good.

Bed comfy,nice bedding All facilities worked well.Great views from bedroom. Spacious room.

Only stayed one night, pleasant staff comfortable clean bed.

Needs a bit of a refurb, for example the pull light in our bathroom was hanging off from the ceiling and you could see the cables.

Bed was very comfortable and clean. Lovely building in a pleasant area. Had an evening meal in the restaurant reasonably priced and tasty. We have already booked again for a week in June.

Convenient location, nice friendly staff.

No lift, and I have problems with stairs sometimes.

OK, I booked a single room and got a single bed. Bedside table was right next to the bed and my arms kept hitting it during the night. Food in the restaurant was excellent.

Convenient location, would have preferred if it was better decorated and

The restaurant menu didn't offer much in the way of healthy options. The whole place could do with some TLC - repainting, repairing some places. Water temperature and pressure in the shower varied

Beds were comfy. location is good with easy access to Liverpool

Was a place. Lots to see.

1.The front of house was miserable 2.The staff excluding a lovely man that tried his best weren’t helpful at all or smiling. 3. The water in the bathroom took ages to warm up. 4. When checking out, not one member of staff asked if our stay was okay, it was like they just wanted the money and for us to get out of their hair.

1.The size of the room 2.That it was always warm(no drafts) 3. The beds felt clean 4. The breakfast was yum!

Value for money, but very disappointed this time around

It was the smallest room we have been allocated on any of our annual visits. No heat in the bathroom on our second day so it was quite cold showering and the window in bathroom very draughty. Bed could have been firmer, sagging slightly in the middle. Our room was on top of their Bolton Room which had been hired out for a function on our first night, very little sleep until after 12 pm as it was extremely noisy, We had to turn T.V. up as we could not hear it.

Cleanliness, and the Television was excellent. Breakfast was lovely, beautifully cooked and presented as was our evening meals. Staff are excellent, nothing is too much trouble for them.

good facilities and food

The rooms and outside of the building was tired but a beautiful building

The bed was comfortable and we had a good night's sleep and breakfast good

Basic but ok in a nice location.

Basic but ok, no instructions as to how shower worked. Signs warned of very hot water - not sure where as not in our room! Very dusty in places too. No staff about on arrival in dining room for breakfast, had to serve ourselves initially. Croissants were quite dry, toaster but no bread (!), coffee machine but no coffee!

Bedroom was a good size and bed was comfortable. Nice area and good parking. Staff in reception were very friendly and efficient.

Ok

The fact it took 45 minutes to check in due to no staff, after waiting half an hour I then had to que in the restaurant and ask the bar man to come and check us in as we had been waiting that long

The room

Great location in a quaint village.
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Upon arrival Saturday at 430 half the place was closed. Only one member of staff running check in and the very busy bar. Our visit was during the cold snap but the whole place was cold heating was on but inadequate.

Great location in a quaint village. Good size room with very comfy bed

Over priced and very out dated

For £80 this was very disappointing. We had to wait 20minutes to check in as there was no staff. The bathroom was freezing and looked like a public school toilet. The rooms were in no way sound proof and you heard everyone else in the property slamming doors all night. We had to put our bag against the door to stopped it rattling due to the constant draft from the windows. An ok room if the price had been far less, but for £80 this was shocking.

very pleasant

Could have done with more staff as having to wait a while to get served/checked in as it seemed staff were multi tasking with other job roles

The Staff where very helpful even though they were busy

not so cheap and cheerful

shower was poor, bath mixer with no riser rail. restaurant is where we had breakfast the furniture is in need of a clean or needs replacing. the staff left us to make our own drinks from a luke warm hot water container. one of the staff could not be bothered to get out of her chair when i asked for milky coffee and not instant which is the only choice.

the room was large with fresh bedding, comfortably warm.

Location was good but I wouldn't go back.

The room stunk of cigarette smoke. When I told them and asked to be moved they said that they'd had to move someone else out of the room. I needed a twin room and they only had a double left so I had to stay in it. Consequently all my clothes smelt of cigarette smoke. The cleaner tried to tell me I was imagining it! The windows in the room that did open, wouldn't open more than a couple of inches and 2 of them were broken. The curtains didn't cover the windows so there was light streaming in all night. Breakfast left a lot to be desired and was not worth the money.

The bed was comfortable and the linen soft and clean.

Staff are friendly enough.

I have stayed here quite a few times and there’s something funny with the waterworks...some rooms u stay in the showers are fine and other rooms it’s about as powerful as someone dribbling on you

Staff are friendly enough. It’s not the ritz but it’s good for a one night stay for business purposes

Awful

No staff at reception. A notice said go to the restaurant. No staff in restaurant or the bar. Eventually a guy showed up at the bar and, after he served some other customers at the front of the queue, I asked if I could check in. He said “OK, after I have served these customers” and asked me to step aside. I was not at all happy as I had already waited for more than 15 minutes. I had to insist that there was a queue and I was now at the front of that queue. He did accept that and check me in. When I got to my room, I found it to be in need of redecoration and very “tired”. Then the music started thumping from some function in the room below and did not stop until about 11:30 pm. I had wanted to work on my notes for a meeting the next day and get an early night but that was impossible due to the noise. This is the worst hotel I have stayed in for more than 20 years. In the morning, breakfast was not open at 7am as advertised. I had to wait until 7:15. Finally, again, there were no staff at reception and I had to wait for the breakfast lady (who had temporarily disappeared) before I could pay and leave.

Room was clean, warm and comfortable.

Run of the mill food but good prices.

Room was clean, warm and comfortable. Staff were friendly and helpful. Great location for walking round Port Sunlight. Very easy to get into Liverpool Centre by train. Value for money.

The staff were really helpful

The staff were really helpful Location was easy to find and plenty of parking on site View from window of church lovely even the bell ringing practise was interesting if a little loud The area has lots of history would like to visit again as a tourist

Waited 20mins before i had to go and find somebody to check in with. Didnt get any better after!

Room very basic and old fashioned. Had a not nice feeling about it and didnt seem clean. Needs a new lick of paint and a full refurb! No phone to ring reception just a piece of paper with a mobile number on incase of emergency. Noise till 4:30am with a van cleaning out bottles and glasses smashing. Just awful was put of romm bu 8am and no member of staff to check us out! Place was deserted. Will not be returning and will tell friends and family to stay clear!

My partner who i was with that convinced me to stay.... £47.50 was a rip off.

Cheap accommodation

The bed was lumpy. It needs a new mattress. The bathroom window eas broken and covered with clear perspex rather than fixed

Staff friendly. There was a slight issue with the door lock but they gave me a discount which was very good service

Dissapointing - as usual

As usual no one on reception at check in. No tv control for room - were told people steal them and were not replaced. Make sure you check in early to get one of the limited controls. !! The rooms feel grubby, as does the rest of hotel. Have given up on breakfast and will only stay again if there is nowhere else available. We travel to the area at least once a month, and have given up on this hotel. Usual lack of staff which leads to dirty rooms, lack of staff in the restaurant/bar, breakfast not as advertised.

Not a lot

No real complaints but was a little overpriced for this type of accommodation

Rotten old window frames in rooms A bit pricey Was quite noisy as there was a function on but did quieten down by 12.30

Convenient location for our needs Enjoyed the bacon at breakfast. Good sized tv in room

In a very nice location and staff were excellent just needs updating !!

The rooms although comfortable they are quite tired and dated this hotel could be so much more and command higher prices for their rooms if they made it into a boutique hotel and spent some money on it....it has so much potential!!!!!

Staff location

Staff very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was very good and would recommend.

Unfortunately unable to regulate the shower temperature due to the mixer taps not working very well so either the water was very hot or too cold.

Brilliant size room and having a settee was a bonus. Room was very warm and comfortable.

Disappointing.

We booked three rooms in one there was no heating, in two the hair dryers didn't work and in all of them the water pressure was low. As we had stayed here before and had recommended the place to the other members of our party we were really disappointed.

The staff were very friendly and the food was good.

The staff couldn't have been more helpful but no matter...

The whole place is really tatty and needs refurbishment. Breakfast ok but the selection advertised on the menu was not what was available eg no fresh fruit on either of the mornings of our stay. Had to ask for juice , bread and clean plates for toast .

The staff couldn't have been more helpful but no matter how helpful the staff they are the fighting a bit of a losing battle against the building and its fittings. Shame really as the location is fab

I had a nice stay, and would use them again for future visits to the area.

The outlook from the room wasn't very nice and could hear all the bottles being empty at the end of the evening. The single bed was short. It was a good job I wasn't very tall

The location was very central for me as visiting family and friends. Great for shopping and not too far from buses and trains. Nice staff and very helpful. The room quite nice size for a single and that we could control the heat. Bathroom was nice and clean.

As usual - disappointing.

Wi-Fi needed life history to use it. Never anyone at check-in desk, have to go looking for staff. Rooms were freezing on arrival, heating switch was broken, and didn't work. Bathroom full of condensation for whole of stay. Windows need secondary glazing. Had to wait at least 40 mins for food to be served. Waiter was asked for second round of drinks - his comment was wait in line at bar. Only one person taking food orders and serving drinks - meal was cold when finally got drinks. Meal was overcooked, steak was ordered as medium but was rare on one end. Breakfast was not as advertised - seemed to be whatever was left. Place needs more staff - especially at night. Only stay as is close to relatives.

Location. Staff (when found) were very good. Check-out was fast.

Basic we did not find staff very friendly.

Bed was uncomfortable, didn't expect cleaning over Xmas but could have left us extra tea/coffee for us to use. Could not order a meal. at 6.15 as restaurant was closing at 7pm and 45 min wait so there was nothing to eat after 6 hour journey.

The breakfast was delicious, although I only got 1 sausage.

The parking was OK but a little congested when I arrived.

The breakfast was delicious, although I only got 1 sausage. I would have preferred another one.

Home away from home

No room service. I mentioned it to the manager and she said if I stay again she will organise it for me (I don’t like dining alone in public restaurant) Maria is her name and she is delightful

The staff were amazing. Very homely and comfortable old style hotel.

Pleasantly surprised, better than expected.

Noisy fan in the bathroom was our only complaint.

Rooms clean & comfortable, plenty of tea & coffee supplied, even a bath - not just a shower. Staff friendly & helpful. The restaurant within the hotel had good food & was very reasonably priced.

Room was very comfortable.
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Room was very comfortable. Restaurant was very cosy, and the choices on the menu were very good, a lot of choices. The staff were very friendly, very helpful and it was lovely to meet Father Christmas before we left. We will definitely return to The Bridge Inn!!

Clean but very average

Building very tired and in need of internal refurbishment. Stairwell carpet threadbare needs some TLC and money spent on it. Walls very thin and can hear noise from other rooms.

Room functional, clean and bed comfortable. Good location with plenty of parking.

I stay at Hotels most week nights, however, The Bridge Inn must be the worst Hotel by far.
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

I picked the Bridge Inn as it had a fair score, however, how wrong that was. 1 No TV remote 2 No Toilet paper 3 No soap in dispensers 4 No Lights in room over entire stay 5 The lights in the ceiling were full of dead flies, no light could be seen from one in the bathroom due to the number of dead insects that is if the lights had worked 6 The window wouldn’t close which explained the number of dead insects on the window ledge and the filthy net curtains 7 The shower wouldn’t work 8 I left early in the morning with many red swollen lumps from bed bugs, flees or what ever bites in the night.

There are no reasons why anyone would stay at the Bridge Inn

Friendly staff, good location but tired and needs decorating and repairs.

Although the inn has character due to its age, it is rather tired and needs redecorating and repairs. There was an extractor fan outside the room so a background hum was present.

Friendly staff, good location.

Good days but very uncomfortable nights.

Cleaning of rooms. Heater in my room would not turn d own or off and bed was tight t o it s o far too hot in bed. Reported it but not fixed. Did get small reduction.

Couple of staff very friendly and helpful.Restaurant quite good.

Perfect location for our needs this trip, but wouldn’t stay there again.

The bathrooms left a lot to be desired. Shower water pressure & volume was almost non existent. The place was clean, but needs a coat of paint & some renovating / modernising of facilities.

The people were friendly and attentive, with a nice atmosphere

Caught up with friends over dinner in the restaurant, so a happy start to the holiday.

Realised we had a trip ahead of us dragging suitcases up stairs but that is our problem, not that of the accommodation house.

Enjoyed our first night in the UK in such a lovely village and an old historic inn.

Could do with an upgrade.

The Bridge Inn could do with a major cleaning overhaul and a bit of updating. The hair dryer didnt work was given a replacement and that didnt work either third time lucky. Not so good if you are looking for an early quiet night. We enjoyed the Jam session even supplied our own drummer.

It was easy to find. Staff Friendly and helpful. Plenty of choice of food. Nice breakfast.

Pleasant stay in clean hotel, lovely area.

A TV Remote control would have been nice!!!!! None in room and couldnt be bothered going to reception as i was about to vacate room. Only 2 sachets of coffee in room, would have appreciated a couple more, but i expect thety want us to purchase coffee from restaurant..

comfortable, clean, as it should be

Good weekend

Good breakfast but disorganised. Tables not set up properly ie we had to ask for spoons or side plates etc but still enjoyed our meal

Good value, clean comfy beds, lovely staff all very pleasant, nothing too much trouble. Near to train station. We will definitely stay here next time instead of a liverpool hotel.

Good customer care.
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

A function was being held and our room was right above it. We were not informed of this and was unable to sleep before the event ended (at midnight).

Good customer care. Very comfortable beds. A beautiful building, a little bit of 'faded glory', but okay for us. Right next door to Port Sunlight.

port sunlight is a wonderful place,but it is poorly served by this hotel

the bed was comfy, the water hot, owning to a party on sat night , there was vlittle consideration to paying guests I don,t believe they were booked up so we could have been moved ,but that wasn't offered. the continental breakfast was low standard ,the coffee weak and warm only. I have never actively wanted to stop the payment through ,but I am going to try

Charming and convenient hotel in interesting historical village.

All bathrooms have showers over baths and the water pressure wasn't great. There isn't a lift. There is no assistance at check in with luggage. Rooms are 'refreshed' daily i.e. not cleaned. Bath towels are often the small size which isn't satisfactory in a hotel.

Train is 10 minutes walk and the bus goes past the door. Easy access to Chester, Liverpool, North Wales, Lake District. Location in centre of Port Sunlight is perfect to walk around the fascinating historical village. The hotel building has loads of character. Very helpful, friendly and supportive staff. Issues are attended to promptly.

Short quick stay.

Location was very interesting as the Lever Brothers Village built for their workers 150 years ago. Staff were helpful and friendly. Was dropped off by a colleague so do not know how difficult to get there. Would be very interesting to spend some time walking around the area and exploring a bit the vicinity.

The owners need to spend some money on the place.

I could not recommend the room we were in to anybody. The wood work was rotten , windows didn't open and some didn't close .Additionally , all the electrical equipment was not fit for use as the test certificates had run out months before.

Lovely location, friendly staff, comfortable bed, friendly...

The bridge inn is a lovely old building, with lots of history, it does not an update though, as in many of the wooden window frames there were large amounts of wood missing, the bath in our room had a hell of a large chip missing from it which has been clumsily filled in

Lovely location, friendly staff, comfortable bed, friendly atmosphere

If you want a cheap stay it's fine but don't expect any frills or modern decor.

The reception desk was sticky and the hotel had an unkempt feel. In need of serious refurbishment. The door into the room had a security chain - no explanation as to why, windows were open slightly and wouldn't open fully. A note left by the window mentioned it was for guest safety and security. No tv remote control in the room - we had to go back to reception to pick one up - reception staff said it was due to customers stealing the remotes! Very noisy in the evening as the pub was situated under the bedroom. The lamps by the side of the bed didn't work and the tv was placed on the wall in a position were it partially obscured the mirror. A member of staff was dressed as the "Grinch" which during August seemed a little weird even if they were trying to promote Christmas season!!!! All in all I would avoid this place until they upgrade facilities.

The location was ideal and the surrounding area was lovely.

God Bless victorian philanthropists

the windows need repainting properly so they shut!!! the doors are very heavy and difficult to open. .A pity greene king don't invest in this national treasure,with a bit of TLC it could be outstanding. Ideally change perspective and move from run down pub to an up market experience.

Great site to visit port sunlight,easy access from main road. An edwardian architecture with spacious facilities,quiet and surrounded by vernacular history. The reception was arcane,like stepping back in history.

Al lovely break lovely hotel lovely surroundings lovely people

All the staff were happy friendly and helpful ,the room was lovely and comfy ,dinner at the hotel restaurant was lovely and plentiful , Breakast was really nice and presented well ,thank you for a lovely stay ,will be back again

Relaxing,,lovely staff,,food delicous...

The bathroom..Bit clinical,,but,,adequate for needs...Could do with with bit added decor,,us,,to fill the bath,,we had to use the shower,,but,,seved its purpose.

Room was small,but nice and comfy,,,lovely views ,,facilities in room were very good,,everything you need...

Really pleasant place to stay in one of the nicest areas of Merseyside

Nothing to complain about, except maybe would have liked a bit more water pressure in the shower.

The area around the hotel is lovely. The hotel itself is charming and it's only a 5-10 minute walk to Port Sunlight Metro station, so really easy to get into Liverpool city centre.

• Reviewed: 19 August 2017

One night stay so could put up with the above

Annoying noise coming from fire alarm sounder all through the night, curtains wasn't long enough to cover the window, so floodlights shining up the building , shined through into room . Informed the staff on came and looked but didn't offer any resolve

Great food

Historical building run by efficient and very helpful staff.

The Bridge is looking more than a little tired, lets call it 'historical' Come on Goodnight Inns this wonderful building deserves a little TLC.

The Staff, wonderful service all round.

A good location for Port Sunlight Staff were very friendly...

The shower was difficult to use and the décor was slightly faded however it was good value and very convenient location if you wish to visit Port Sunlight.

A good location for Port Sunlight Staff were very friendly and helpful.

Excellent value for money, brilliant location.

The window restraint was rather unecessary, and could restrict escape in a fire.

The room, and the adjacent/ensuite bathroom, were both generously proportioned. It was nice to have a bath, rather than just a shower. It was very convenient for us that the restaurant served food until 10pm, as we were late arriving. Food, and accommodation, were excellent value for money and we'll definitely be returning.

Well worth the cost and an enjoyable stay.

Room was unmade from last guest and we had to have it cleaned before we could use at 10pm.

Majority of staff were pleasant and helpful. Breakfast was lovely and good value for money.

Home from home, a friendly hotel with a warm welcome

Can't think of anything.

The hotel was very homely, the staff couldn't have been more friendly or accommodating, nothing was too much trouble. The meals were amazing value and very tasty, breakfast was wonderful, they made me two bowls of porridge especially. The rooms were clean and very comfortable. We slept at the back of the hotel, very quiet and a very comfy bed, so we had very good nights' sleep. Easy to find, lovely walking around the village at night, so beautifully maintained, and then back to the bar for a relaxing glass of wine, perfect!