Reviews of Britannia Hotel City Centre Manchester This rating is a reflection of how the property compares to the industry standard when it comes to price, facilities and services available. It's based on a self-evaluation by the property. Use this rating to help choose your stay!

35 Portland Street, Manchester City Center, Manchester, M1 3LA, United Kingdom

#81 of 93 hotels in Manchester

6.2

6.2

• Reviewed: July 23, 2018

Beautiful building, lovely reception area

No electric in my room, phone didn't work, remote control didn't work also couldn't control TV on the actual TV. no hot water in the bath, keycard didn't work, kettle was very temprement. check in was far too long almost 30 minutes. We were only 8th in the queue. Some reception staff very helpful others looked like they didn't even want to be there. Breakfast was tasteless, although hot. Bacon and sausage tasted like fat as did the hash browns as they had been deep fried and therefore no middle left.

Beautiful building, lovely reception area

Disrespectful manager !!!
    • Double Room (No Windows)

The manager in this place is very bad black woman. No respect for customers, no care at all to people who been there. The hotel is old and not renovated at all since decades. Room which we got was ok, but staff especially manager was very bad. If I can advice I it is better to pay extra but stay in proper hotel. After small agreement with her she wanted me to changed, earlier booked hotel !!! What a nonsense ! She doesn't have any rights to do it! There was no reason to do that at all.

Location is great.

The room was ok had a window that wouldn't close properly bathroom wasn't clean, curtains didn't shut letting a lot of light in. Breakfast we were told at 7 then it was 730 and still wasn't we eventually got breakfast at 8 which the food was out for nearly an hour bacon had dried up.

Location is great.

Staff were helpful and room was clean
    • Double Room (No Windows)

The first room for £60 was terrible, but asked for an upgrade and was instantly given a much nicer room (with a window!) For no extra cost. Tv also didn't work

Staff were helpful and room was clean

• Reviewed: July 21, 2018

Very disappointing, would not recommend

Room stank of smoke, tiny room, small bed, sockets not working, no air con or fan , threadbare dirty carpet, ancient nets and curtains

Powerful shower and clean sheets

• Reviewed: July 21, 2018

Budget is too high of a ranking for this city centre hotel. Poor quality with unhelpful staff.
    • Double Room (No Windows)

Too long to check in... Four members of staff behind checkin desk, several computer terminals available only one member of staff checking customers in meaning the queue was nearly out of the main entrance - it took over 30 minutes to check in and when I finally got to the desk I was asked to 'wait a minute' while something was corrected on the computer. No air conditioning in the room. TV had poor reception meaning the nights entertainment came from my laptop.

Bright room, considering there was no windows. Thats realy all to say!

• Reviewed: July 20, 2018

Glad when we walked out
    • Double Room (No Windows)

Everything from the customer service to checking out

Avoid we had a room with no windows the room was dated and we had a shelf at the side of the bed which my partner kept hitting her head and also we complained and was promised a reply and action taken and guess what they didn’t have the courtesy to reply won’t stay again !!!

• Reviewed: July 20, 2018

Good location and typical hotel facilities

We stayed on the 5th floor which felt more like the hostel part of the hotel.the furniture was old and dark in the room.intial image of the hotel a little unsure as there were rough sleepers near by

The location and the friendly staff the facilities were typical for a hotel.

• Reviewed: July 19, 2018

Worked well lovely building

Room was very clean but a little dated. I feel that this was compensated for by the price, pay more you get newer and nicer pay less and get worse. Far better than a travelodge or ibis or similar

Fantastic building outside, location ideal for city centre lovely entrance reception and fantastic staircase.

• Reviewed: July 19, 2018

it was good value for money, The room was small but adequate.
    • Double Room (No Windows)

One of the two elevators was not working and it was very busy, both outside and inside looks very dirty and could do with a refurbishment, Carpets were loose in places also and because if this I did not fancy breakfast

it was good value for money, The room was small but adequate. TV and tea/coffee facilities was also fair.

Hot as hell!
    • Twin Room (No Windows)

The windowless room was hot and muggy with air conditioning that only seemed to heat the air. Spent the night attempting to sleep in sauna-like conditions. Staff were also quite unhelpful and seemed to be hiding in the back office rather than assisting.

The location is fantastic!

• Reviewed: July 17, 2018

A hotel in the heart of Manchester
    • Double Room (No Windows)

I had an heavy suit case. I found it a struggle to lift it ip the steps.

The hotel is in an excellent location for shops buses and restaurants. Breakfast is delicious.

• Reviewed: July 17, 2018

Great stay...after they changed our room :)
    • Double Room (No Windows)

We arrived at 2:30 am and on the first night they gave us a very small room, with no windows - as advertised - that was extremely warm, and with very little breathable air, quite claustrophobic, I might say, but we were tired and it was to late to complain for cooler air. However, next day we asked for some air cooler, which they were out of, so they changed our room in a much bigger one with a window as well. Therefore, our time there was better starting with the second day. I recommend the rooms with window from upper-floors.

The stuff was great and very helpful. Thank you! The hotel is located in city center, near all great stores, therefore, location was a very big plus for us.

• Reviewed: July 17, 2018

I always stay at this hotel but have never given it a 10.
    • Twin Room (No Windows)

Other parts of the hotel are dated but they are working through bit by bit. This is not an issue for me just mentioning to others.

I always stay at this hotel but have never given it a 10. On this occasion it was the first time I had been given one of the modernised rooms with no windows 112A. It was lovely and complete with air con. There was a little wait at reception but that is not their fault. The staff were great at check in and the price was excellent for what you get. Can’t beat the location. Very happy.

• Reviewed: July 17, 2018

Never again, gutted it cost me £31 because if I’d of paid anymore would of been devastated

Everything, 2 female staff was very rude upon check in-check out

No air conditioning, stuffy, uncomfortable conditions, noisy, dirty needs a serious revamp

• Reviewed: July 16, 2018

Wish the staff would smile
    • Double Room (No Windows)

Staff seemed not happy in their job. Room was ok but stains on ceiling and tired decor need attention and bath/shower took forever to drain.

Location was good , price was ok and housekeeping lady was polite .

• Reviewed: July 16, 2018

Old hotel in a central area
    • Double Room (No Windows)

Very old. A stayed in a very small room. No air condition and it’s warm during the summer. No good ventilation.

Very central in the heart of the centre City

Appalling
    • Superior Suite

Hole in the ceiling with water dripping, musty smell in room. Windows didn’t open no air con or fan in room. This room was a suite. Advised receptionist and no apology given. Would not stay if free.

Adequate

The Temperature in the room was excessive, I understand the extremely warm weather that we are experiencing but I thought maybe local fans in the room. Safety ! I found numerous Fire doors being held Open !! Even though it says clearly ‘ Fire door Keep closed ‘ written on it !! The receptionist at the desk of the breakfast room refused us entry for breakfast as it was closed ! It was 1010 Sunday morning! She said breakfast finished at 1000, I explained that it said 1030 on a Weekend, she replied by saying “ yes but it’s Monday” obviously I corrected her by pointing out that it was actually Sunday , her bad attitude surprised me. Thankfully we were able to have breakfast.

Location, Car Park Discount

• Reviewed: July 16, 2018

Mediocre; should be better considering the price.

You get 40 mins free WiFi then they charge you £7 a day. Check-in took 15 mins due to understaffing. Rooms not dirty, but not cleaned properly either (cigarette butts between window panes). Noisy - windows too thin to block out city centre noise, especially problematic on a Saturday night. Uncomfortable beds.

Friendly and helpful staff. Nice bathroom.

• Reviewed: July 16, 2018

Not bad, but certainly not worth the price.
    • Double Room (No Windows)

Took 15 mins to check in due to understaffing. Charge £7 a day for WiFi. Noisy - windows too thin to block out city centre noise. Not dirty, but not cleaned properly (cigarette butts between window panes). Overpriced - there are much better hotels in Manchester city centre for a fraction of the price.

Helpful, friendly staff. Good bathroom.

regrettable

The room was not clean, hair all over the place on the bed, bathroom and floor. The room smelled awful like food rotted in there. I informed the staff in the morning on checkout, he clearly gave me an attitude he wasn't bothered. I have been here before, just this time it wasn't a pleasant stay. Not happy at all.

Nothing to be honest

Room was nice just would of liked the bath abit cleaner
    • Twin Room (No Windows)

Staff was a little rude waiting time to check in & out was too long other than that was great

Room was nice just would of liked the bath abit cleaner

3.3 is still too high
    • Double Room (No Windows)

1. Windowless Room, yes we were aware as it was a cheaper option 2. Not being told that it was a smoking room, it stunk to high heaven and the smell was all over our clothes 3. No air con, the room was like a furnace all night, unbearable 4. Towels that were big enough for a size 8, bigger towels required!!!!! 5. Tea and Coffee facilities in the room, one of each, if you didn’t like coffee then you had to have tea and vice versa 6. I was accosted at the breakfast reception and told your not on the list for breakfast, I told her to go and check whilst we started getting our breakfast and she cane back and said your not on the list you can’t have breakfast, I was half way through serving myself so I had to stop and o went to reception where they said of course you’ve paid, I don’t know who the other person spoke too. 6. Watered down fresh orange juice 7. Beans that looked like they’d been there for several hours 8. Sausages that were dry and shrivelled up 9. Watered down coffee........ ..........the list could go on and on!!!

The building is fantastic

• Reviewed: July 16, 2018

Service and facilities poor, not value for money, very disappointing
    • Double Room (No Windows)

The customer service is poor. The initial room provided was in a smokers area and had no windows fan or air conditioning. The tv didn’t work and there were spider webs everywhere. Once we complained about this at an additional cost we were upgraded to a room in the non smokers area and with a window however this room was also dirty, noisy and the hot water was too hot. There are no mixer taps and the bath tub got so slippery I slipped and fell over. No railings or anything to hold. All in all a terrible stay and would not be recommending or staying again. For the amount you pay the service and facilities are poor. Really disappointed.

The building itself and the location are great

• Twin Room (No Windows)

There was no air conditioning, one small open window in a triple room, very uncomfortable, difficult night's sleep

Great location, helpful, friendly staff

• Reviewed: July 15, 2018

Good hotel for a short stay
    • Double Room (No Windows)

We were on the 5th floor. There was no fan in the room. The weather was very hot and our room had no windows. We couldn't get staff attention as each time we tried there was queues at the desk. Also very noisy. Lots of music from the bars until 3am.

The hotel is central to everywhere. We could walk to anywhere we planned on bisiting

Everything.

Everything. Cannot even start from something in particular. . The room 358 (if im not wrong because I'm trying to forget honestly) was hot like a sauna under the roof. No air conditioning basically. We changed the keycard coz was not working and we were not alone in doing so other guests were experiencing the same issues.the following morning the Breakfast was a run for safety. We did not had much anyway (try to avoid possible food poisoning by the way the food looked and was stored). We did get back to The room and had a bad surprise (no it wasn't only the smell of old) and basically we found very uncorfortable to sleep. Parfume was overused to try to cover the smell of old unused furniture. The complaints did not work and the duty manager (probably ay his first experience ) just tried to save the face. Obviously did not work. we will never go there anymore even for free. Mistakes from staff could be avoided by a good training course (a simple suggestion based on the inconvenience when the receptionist told us about the leaving time). But I must be precise it wasn't her mistake. The hotel is probably bad managed. Follow my suggestion. Run away from the Britannia unless they don't change in a big (and I mean (BIG) way.

• Reviewed: July 15, 2018

Reasonably priced and well located.
    • Standard Single Room

Check-in hadn’t improved since I was there last year; 15 people in the queue in front of me and only one, uninterested member of staff on the desk. Check-in took around 45 minutes. Room incredibly noisy; thin walls and doors kept out little noise from other guests. Room wasn’t really ‘secure’; a reasonable push would have opened my door even without the keycard.

Reasonably priced and well located. Room was basic but well suited to the needs of a single traveller just requiring somewhere to sleep. Room was clean and of a good size although I must have been upgraded as I booked a single and the room I was given contained both a double and a single bed.

• Reviewed: July 14, 2018

Will not stop again sorry

Too many idiots being allowed in the hotel. Needs security at front door always. Saw many drug dealers wandering the hotel and thief’s are getting in and ripping the guests off. I do not appreciate being a target for a distraction thief at all. Not good

Location fantastic

• Reviewed: July 14, 2018

Needs to be security on front door. Too many idiots can just walk in. Not stopping again
    • Twin Room (No Windows)

Window in room not big enough. Not enough fresh air. One tiny open window Also did not appreciate being targeted by a distraction thief in hotel bar.

Location great

Not much
    • Standard Single Room

There was no air con, food was embarrassing, their was blood on the toilet seat. The pl3ace was full of the weirdest people ever, unsavoury characters and I felt unsafe anf intimidated.

Not much

• Reviewed: July 14, 2018

Worst hotel I’ve ever stayed in!

Very tired looking reception area. Waited over 20 minutes to check in. Room was airless (tiny windows) wardrobe doors falling off, bathroom - grout dirty, paint chipping. We were moved I even offered to pay for an upgrade. New room slightly bigger with a larger window. The condition was exactly the same except it smelt of smoke, had stray hairs in the bathroom and the bed footer had stains on! Really unpleasant.

A grand looking building with so much potential.

• Reviewed: July 13, 2018

Wasnt happy this time
    • Standard Single Room

Wait 1 hour to check in new staff there dodnt no what to do i regularly stay there spanish guy had the place under control always checked me in early this time 330 in afternoon now hes left great shame place gone down hill

Food downstairs

• Reviewed: July 12, 2018

Very basic rooms compared to what think of the britannia hotel
    • Double Room (No Windows)

Mattress was hard, only 2 small towels between the pair of us and windows were tiny and high up to reach

Basic rooms but expected as much, had room with windows but they was tiny apart from that it was good!

Okay

No aircon in the rooms so it was very hot. Some rooms have no windows and no aircon inside them. Tiny TV

Great location. Reasonable price for what it is.

• Reviewed: July 12, 2018

Worst place iv ever stayed
    • Twin Room (No Windows)

Can’t open windows . To hot in room no fan , ur air con it must have been in the 30 st so we only had 30 minutes sleep on and off . Breakfast was Un cooked

• Reviewed: July 12, 2018

Blistering hot room with no windows.
    • Double Room (No Windows)

Blistering hot room with no windows. No air con in all of the hotel. Outside temperature was 24C so hardly blistering. No chance of much sleep. Reception no help at all. Several people asking the same questions having checked into their rooms. Dangerously hot in rooms.

Very poor
    • Double Room (No Windows)

Where to start I had been trying to call them since 4.30 pm till I got there and no one picked the phone up it was to see where the best place to park my car for the weekend as I am not from around there as it cost me £48 pounds to park and at the hotel when I got checked in they gave me room 50 ground floor no windows and the air con didn’t even work so after I unpacked my stuff I went for a shower got dried of but with no were for the heat to go I was as wet as when I came out of the shower so about 1am went to see the staff about they moved me to a other room with a window but was not happy with the service sorry

Well it was close to everything

Night club hotel

The hotel is above a night club so loud music till 2am, windows were thin, very hot and no temp control. Chose between heat or loud music.

Staff were good

• Reviewed: July 11, 2018

First class for my needs.
    • Twin Room (No Windows)

A fan or air-con would have been nice in the hot weather. Did have trouble logging into wi-fi. The breakfast in Jenny's was overpriced and well below the standard I would have expected.

The hotel was well located for the city centre, the room was much better than I expected. Overall very pleased with the room and exceptional value for money.

• Reviewed: July 11, 2018

Overall location was good and room was present enough
    • Twin Room (No Windows)

Check in was very long and staff didn't seem to care you waiting in a long line of people wanting to check in with only 1 staff member checking people in. It was horrendous

Location is excellent

• Reviewed: July 11, 2018

We got upgraded to a better room after the room we were in...
    • Double Room (No Windows)

The lack of help from the staff with regards to payment was very appalling even from the manager as well. I had hoped some leniency would have been shown especially as my friend had just travelled from far away but this didn't materialise.

We got upgraded to a better room after the room we were in did not meet our expectations / the description on Booking.com

• Reviewed: July 10, 2018

Victorian grandeur, city centre location, value for money.
    • Double Room (No Windows)

Like many of the Britannia Group hotels it has faded glory - architecturally impressive but looking rather tired. No major complaints but a lot of minor improvements needed.

Victorian grandeur, city centre location, value for money.

Not staying there again.
    • Twin Room (No Windows)

Car park a 10 minute walk away - and 20 pounds No air conditioning and only one very small window that opened partially Requested a ground floor and were put on the 5th floor Woken very early morning by late night revellers

• Reviewed: July 10, 2018

A small double room with no windows in very hot weather.
    • Double Room (No Windows)

Why is the kettle lead not long enough, ended up using it on the floor.

A small double room with no windows in very hot weather. In fact the room was air conditioned. Clean, comfortable and nicely decorated.

• Reviewed: July 10, 2018

Magnificent building, low rent interior. Most staff pleasant but check-in team was awful.
    • Standard Single Room

Really poor check-in; no AC in rooms; police interviewing homeless person in the lobby; room not cleaned properly two days running; beggars and homeless immediately outside the hotel.

Value for money and in a central location.

Britannia

Our room wasn't particularly clean, large cobweb hanging from the ceiling. Bathroom floor didn't look as if it had been hoovered.

Close to city centre.

Very nice
    • Double Room (No Windows)

Really nice hotel it's the best Britania hotel I've stayed in.very well looked after & staff was great only bad thing no one answers phone at reception.

• Reviewed: July 10, 2018

Always stay here when visiting the vicinity, staff good very friendly
    • Double Room (No Windows)

I paid extra for a later checkout when I intially checked in and requested I do not be disturbed I was woken twice once by a knock on my door advising that it was time to leave and I advised that I paid for a late check and secondly by a phone call requesting I come down as they cannot see that I paid for a late checkout I think this was quite bad as I was disturbed twice and the staff haven’t done their diligence

Always a pleasure to stay here, staff are generally very helpful and attended to the needs of the customer

The staff did their best and it's a beautiful building
    • Double Room (No Windows)

The room was too hot and everything seemed to be coated in dust. The quality of the rooms needs to be imoroved

The staff did their best and it's a beautiful building

Worst experience
    • Double Room (No Windows)

So the rooms are like a prison or torture if you will, it has no windows, no air conditioning, no fans or anything. So you're trapped in a room of heat to boil overnight. Paid for 2 nights, couldn't even stay more than 1. Awful awful rooms. I don't recommend this to anyone ever

• Reviewed: July 9, 2018

The receptionist was helpful, but the overall state of this...
    • Standard Single Room

no air condition dirty carpets very old, non refurbished no sound proof windows; very noisy from nearby main street

The receptionist was helpful, but the overall state of this hotel is screaming for renovation . The hotel has a very good potential with some renovation , sound proof windows, etc good price

Good central location.
    • Twin Room (No Windows)

No shower gel/bath soap or shampoo. No window in our room (knew that before we booked though to be honest) Sense of faded glory...

Good central location. Very grand and impressive hall.

• Reviewed: July 9, 2018

Not as good as I expected
    • Standard Single Room

Wireless internet was promised but was only free in the lobby. In the room, the charge was £7 per day after 20 minutes of free access. This was not explained in the details provided. The room only had one mains socket so if I wanted to make coffee or recharge my laptop I had to unplug the television. The receptionist told me to wait when checking in because the card payment terminal was unavailable. After ten minutes, when a queue had built up, he realised that we could use another card payment terminal on the next desk. Cooked breakfast was provided but the choice was limited and, again, I had to wait while the receptionist checked if I had pre-paid for it. The advertised luggage storage desk was provided but was unstaffed when I tried to leave my case, so I had to carry it around with me all day.

The hotel is in a great location in the centre of Manchester. It is a splendid Victorian building with a magnificent central staircase. The room was relatively large, with a large en suite bathroom.

Nice
    • Standard Single Room

no body answers the phone for room service .

I arrived late there was a Polish guy on the reception , who was very helpful, also upgraded my room to business class , and told me near by nice places to eat .

Quite unhappy and dirty
    • Double Room (No Windows)

The smell was dreadful in the rooms and all ways carpets were very dirty and stained very badly

The rooms with no windows had no fans also the smell in the hall ways and rooms was dreadful the showers were cold only one towel also we had to wait for 20 mins for our check in as only 2 staff won't stay again

Very disappointing
    • Twin Room (No Windows)

Probably everything. The room was dirty. Dusty, the bathroom looked like it had t been cleaned. The beds were so uncomfortable that I didn’t sleep when I had an early shift for Work the morning after.

Leaving the morning after.

• Reviewed: July 8, 2018

A basic hotel with no frills. Clean, safe and well located.
    • Standard Single Room

Steet noise. Couldn’t open windows to ventilate the room. 27• greenhouse!

Central location was easy to find and great for getting to other parts of the city.

Awful.
    • Double Room (No Windows)

The very few spare plug sockets in the room, even the ones that were there didn't work all the time. We called reception for some fans to be brought to the room and was told that won't be a problem, (the room was stifling) 3 times in 3 hours we asked to be told on the 3rd call that all the fans had been allocated, would have been nice to have been informed of this earlier. I went to the shop, came back with a few full carrier bags of shopping, I had seen food was being served down the restaurant, I asked reception if they would mind just to keep an eye on my bags whilst I went to get food to bring up to my room to be told no. The lady in the restaurant I paid for my food wouldn't even help when I ask if she would kindly pass me some cutlery. We had booked the room for another night the morning we were due to leave, the chambermaid then knocked on the door and we were told we had to immediately go to reception to sort this out, whilst my partner was doing this I tidied up the room, I took all the rubbish out and had locked myself out the room half naked, I asked the chamber maid to open the door to be told no, it's more than her jobs worth. With the way we had been treated by that time, plus the fact I was left to stand outside our room door half naked I was furious, down I went to reception half naked and had my rant at reception (who wernt in the slightest bit concerned about what I had to say to them) i told them their customer service was sh%$e and stormed back upstairs, I was then informed if I swear again I'm be asked to leave the hotel.This is in every sense a budget hotel, don't let the pictures taken from certain angles fool you. The only member of staff who was nice also helpful with us was the maintenance man. The rest of the staff were rude, unhelpful and in no hurry to do anything, the queue at reception was always long even with 4 members at reception who seemed to be taking everything in their stride. A truly awful experience.

The bed was comfortable, the location was convenient.

• Reviewed: July 8, 2018

-The room was big and spacious and the -staff were friendly
    • Double Room (No Windows)

-The hotel is too old -At first they put me in a small room without window but I upgraded to much bigger room with 20£ -No free WI-FI.

-The room was big and spacious and the -staff were friendly -free storage for luggage

• Reviewed: July 8, 2018

My stay was not enjoyable.
    • Twin Room (No Windows)

I was given a disabled room. Staff could not assist a visually impaired woman to take her belongings to her bedroom. Staff not helpful only the black guy was nice.

The bathroom was big.

• Reviewed: July 8, 2018

Although i paid 118 for 2 nights room only it was very central and not sure i would stay here again
    • Standard Single Room

Very tired rooms with stained carpets.shower did not work.very noisy from main road traffic and police presence often in hotel during my stay removing non paying guests from communal areas

Friendly staff

• Reviewed: July 7, 2018

• Standard Single Room

Everything else, especially the staff. Never before met people who made a point in showing how displeased they were for your arrival. Ah about the car park agreement, the discount price, well they will tell you on your arrival that’s not the nearest car park but one well away from the hotel. The hotel is pretty old I wouldn’t give it more than 2 stars⭐️

Location. Nice staircase. Pretty clean. Vintage furniture.

• Reviewed: July 6, 2018

The windows are not clean.
    • Standard Single Room

Rom was too. Very small window. Alot of street noise during the night. Hotel is very tired looking. Although room was clean it felt unclean. Synthetic bed linen is not pleasant to sleep. 100 % cotton is much better and indicates quality.

Location ok but alot of noise from the street

• Reviewed: July 6, 2018

Amazing room, the bathroom facilities and bedroom facilities were incredible. Thankyou so much!
    • Double Room (No Windows)

The rooms are amazing! I was not expecting to get all that just for the price you pay. I was shocked, I will be back very soon for deffinete. Amazing chandeliers and building, was a pleasure to stay everything was just gorgeous!

• Reviewed: July 6, 2018

Staff were very friendly and helpful.
    • Standard Single Room

Very noisy until 1am in the morning from the main road and guests - room was a bit smelly and no main light in the room just bedside table lights and high windows which didnt feel nice. was not given wifi code.

Staff were very friendly and helpful. Sheets and bathroom were clean. New kettle and clean mugs for tea and coffee.

4.5
    Disappointed for price paid!

Poor interior in room 501 Milk for complimentary tea etc..all 'off' Extremely noisy extractor right outside our window Disorganised staff at breakfast Breakfast very underwhelming Parking a bit of a joke!

Convenient for shopping and Manchester arena
    • Double Room (No Windows)

Staff were OK when we arrived. However the room did not have bulbs in the bed side lamps. The shower was cold. The room was hot and stuffy but I must note that this is not in any way the fault of the staff. We went out and upon returning a fan had been placed in the room . This was without requesting one so that was proactive. When we handed in our key card the receptionist was not overly friendly. To be fair we did not spend a lot of time at the hotel and I would recommend.

Convenient for shopping and Manchester arena

• Reviewed: July 5, 2018

It's not bad, Perfect location.
    • Double Room (No Windows)

It's not bad, Perfect location. I'd say it's good value for money based on the location, nothing special but it was a place to sleep for us rather than a treat!

Ok for nights sleep

Not many plug to charge, no free Wi-Fi. No refill off coffee ,tea sugars for 2nd day stay. Need to ask fan for the stay the room were hot at this time of this month.

The decor

• Reviewed: July 5, 2018

There’s a lot better in the Centre
    • Standard Single Room

Lots of noise outside all night, curtains didn’t close properly, most channels on tv didn’t work and not many plug sockets.

Location to train station before an early start was the only positive.

Prime location, clean room

Fire alarm went on 3 times at 4 am no formal apology just a notice on the board downstairs. Bathroom needed to be updated and queue time was ridiculous. 1 hour stood in the queue.

Prime location, clean room

Location given it’s city centre - only positive
    • Double Room (No Windows)

Poor staff - didn’t seem interested and lacked courtesy or knowledge of the hote Room was extremely dated with marks on the ceiling/decor etc Carpets were horrible - I couldn’t feel comfortable taking shoes/socks off Wouldn’t recommend for families at all and if you’re going out after 10pm-ish, isn’t best being alone - a lot of folk directly opposite in Piccadilly gardens outside doing spice etc - no fault of the hotel this but not recommended especially for families

Location given it’s city centre - only positive

• Reviewed: July 5, 2018

The staff were really friendly and helpful.
    • Twin Room (No Windows)

The beds and pillows were really hard and not comfortable at all. There is no air conditioning and we were staying in a room with no window. At the high of summer this was unbearable. Walked out of the room to hear ‘I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday’ by Wizzard being played whilst we waited for the lift. It’s July. JULY!

The staff were really friendly and helpful.

Browse Britannia Hotel City Centre Manchester Traveler Photo Gallery