Reviews of Brynhonddu Country House B&B 3 stars

Pandy,, Abergavenny, NP7 7PD, United Kingdom

#20 of 23 hotels in Abergavenny

Based on 102 B&B reviews

• Large Double Room (En Suite)

Very old fashioned and building work going on whilst not while we were there but untidy around the place. Beds were ok but hotel needs upgrading. Entrance to property needed clearing too but don't think the ownerowned this. Their family taking over we were told eventually so probably will improve.

Breakfast was good and it was clean and very quiet. Host very friendly and willing to help and they took our dog.

• Small Single Room - En Suite

Very comfortable - I appreciated the single room as I was solo and fed up being charged single supplements elsewhere. Took a packed lunch in lieu of breakfast which kept me going after my very early start. Thank you

• Small Single Room - En Suite

Access road was a rough track and not easy to find.

Lots of thoughtful extra touches like an alarm clock; shampoo, conditioner etc in environmentally friendly dispensers rather than in wasteful plastic mini bottles. Off the beaten track so very quiet and peaceful.

• Double Room Ensuite

Need little extra cleaning ect on tv .could of done with extras on cooked breakfast.such as beans tomatoes or hash browns black pudding .only had 1 bacon 1 sausage 1 egg

The owners friendly and the beds lovely and comfy

• Twin Room en suite

It was difficult to find for us when walking the Offa's Dyke Path. The bathroom of our room was very small.

The breakfast was very good, especially the locally made plum jam. We appreciated very much that the owner gave us the directions to make our way out on the Offa's Dyke Path shorter.

• Small Single Room - En Suite

It is a lovely ‘old worldly’ property. Set in large grounds just out of Abergavenny, it really is a fantastic location. The breakfast is beautifully cooked with sourced local ingredients. The friendly owners are keen to tell you of the property’s history and how it evolved. This place has lots of character. Will definitely revisit when I’m back in the area.

Decore a little tired looking. Breakfast was good quality, but could have eaten it twice. Addition of baked beans, hash browns, and/or black pudding would pad it out without increasing the costs much.

Beautiful location, owners were friendly and helpful.

• Small Single Room - En Suite

The single room was small for me at 6ft but ok for one night. The breakfast didn't really cater for vegetarians as there wasn't an alternative for the bacon or sausages, food cooked well though. The B & B is part of a larger building, it was hard to see which area was the guest house and which was the private residence, a totally separate area. The owner looked fed up when yet another guest for the immediate neighbours came knocking on their door. Clearer signage would obviously help the unfamiliar.

The setting was quite and had a pleasant rural feel. Owners very amenable and helpful. Lots of atmosphere in the old house with interesting furnishings, wall hung photos, original paintings and creaky floorboards which I like. Good value with lots of places to eat nearby and easy to access hill walking. Comfy bed with en suite, tv and tea making facilities. I'd definitely stay again.

• Small Single Room - En Suite

Due to the location the walk from the car park to the reception is quite steep but it was not an issue.

The single room was small but perfectly comfortable with nice en-suite. Perfect for the single traveller on a budget. Breakfast was excellent and the hosts very welcoming.

• Small Single Room - En Suite

The lovely rural position was perfect for my dog and I. The breakfast was delicious. The hosts were very friendly and helpful, gave good advice for walking, sightseeing and eating locally.

• Small Single Room - En Suite

the only fault is that sat-nav doesn't pick it up, so it easy to get a little lost, the country lanes are narrow but then that is expected

The hosts of this property where very pleasant & helpful, gave a brief history of the place, the bed was so very comfy, there was also a cooked breakfast which was very nice, I would recommend a stay here to anyone it was very homely & comfortable, pet friendly as well, I would certainly go again

• Large Double Room (En Suite)

Have very mixed feelings about this property. Arrived as it was getting dark after a long day's walk on the Offa's Dyke Path. House in quite a long slog up (and I do mean up) a long driveway from the road. Room was just large enough to accommodate a double bed and not much more. Nearest facility for dinner was a mile away. Owner reluctantly agreed to take us to the pub, but we were not up for the long (uphill) walk home in the dark and rain. So had dinner in room of trail food we were carrying. Very disappointing. Also, no direct access to the ODP even though it runs a short distance above the property, so to access again it is back down the long driveway and along the road a distance to the path. Maybe okay if you have a car, but would not recommend for walkers.

Very good breakfast. House has interesting history.

• Small Single Room - En Suite

Breakfast - some fresh fruit and proper muesli would have been nice. Packed lunch - good value but poor quality The proffered short cut to reach the Offa's Dyke Path heading North - avoid!! Very nettley and brambly and not worth taking!

good wifi and good though traditional breakfast

• Large Double Room (En Suite)

Sleeping and bathroom accommodation was rather cramped and did not meet the standards most people have come to expect of b&bs. Attention to detail lacking and breakfast very ordinary, with little or no choice.

The house was perfectly placed for the areas we wanted to explore. The setting was very attractive and characterful.

• Large Double Room (En Suite)

However, the room was very small and the decoration was rather tired. We had actually booked a room with a double bed and a single bed, but got a very small room with a small double bed. The mattress had seen better days and we slept very badly as a result.

• Large Double Room (En Suite)

We are not keen on sharing a breakfast table. Very hard to find without contacting establishment

Lovely location, friendly and helpful staff. Gave loads of information about an area we didn't know.

Can't think of anything

Very quiet location in the Black mountains. Very friendly helpful owners, good starting point to hiking routes and great breakfast.

Alot!!. My 'single'room was no more than a box room measuring 6'4" x 7'6". It was literally a passage way to the tiny en-suite with a bed one side and a radiator the other side. The end of the bed was so close to the door that you trapped the duvet in the door if you weren't careful. The shower room was so tiny that you really could hardly turn round in it. The linen ie the towels should have been changed some time ago as they were fraying and the hems gathered. I am a biggish person but the 'bath' towel was no way going round me!. I could go on but breakfast was nice although when I asked for grilled tomatoes he said he couldn't do that. My friend asked for poached egg and he said he only did steamed!!. What is going on here?To be fair the steamed egg was what I would call coddled and was fine BUT..... The property itself was a nice old semi-detached property but my goodness it had seen better days. The garden was supposed to be lovely but all we could see were signs of building work and discarded garden furniture. The furniture on the terrace was dirty with green algae on it.The wider surroundings were pleasant with beautiful trees all round. I wish I had had a window to look at them from but my only window was in the shower room and could not be opened. This was just my room. My friend was also not at all happy but that's another story. Luckily both places that we ate at were good The Skinnridd? and the Pandy Inn. To finish, this B&B is 3* but in our opinion it needs to do more to deserve it. They have good local knowledge but it takes more than that!!. One last thing although the details do warn you, the walk from the car to the house is only short but is quite steep and could cause problems for older people, the staircase to the attic room is also demanding. My Mum would not be able to do either easily so be warned.

Breakfast good though sadly no fresh fruit. Good Coffee .

• Reviewed: 18 May 2017

• Small Single Room - En Suite

Super old house with character and a great location for visiting the area or as was doing passing through on my way further South. Plenty of places to eat locally, I chose to go a little further a field and into Abergavenny where I had an excellent Nepalese meal at the Gurkha Corner.

• Twin Room en suite

Duvets were too heavy and room too hot, unable to sleep well. The room very cramped, it was impossible for both of us to move about at the same time. We arrived early (just to locate the B&B) and got a feeling of unfriendliness.

The breakfast was excellent. I was able to walk the dog directly from the property. The staff were attentive.

• Reviewed: 23 April 2017

• Small Single Room - En Suite

Finding the location with sat nav proved to be difficult, proprietor said some are good others the opposite. Booking dot com' s booking sheet does advise this, but it would be very helpful if that advice was put on the front page by the post code address in red large letter. Quite frankly like so many people I do not read everything in detail, there is far to much information with so many transactions these days. Trying to find this place in the dark took some 30 minutes of hassle for me and the proprietor.

Good breakfast, quiet location.

• Double Room Ensuite

A stunning old house with so much history, very comfortable, and the best breakfast we have had in a long time. Our hosts were friendly and very knowledgeable. Only local produce used

• Reviewed: 17 November 2016

Staff were a little bit overbearing - i.e. the 'tour' when showing us our rooms, explaining where every item of the breakfast came from, hovering over us while we ate etc... It's also very much a family home with hundreds of photos everywhere. Glad we didn't have to share the full size dinner table with any other guests - awkward!

The beds were very comfy, the breakfast was delicious and very creative use of the loft rooms. Good local information provided.

• Reviewed: 2 October 2016

• Large Double Room (En Suite)

Bathroom was tiny. We were in an attic room that really shouldn't be used. No head space. Place was really difficult to find.

Wifi was good in the room.

• Reviewed: 25 September 2016

• Small Single Room - En Suite

As others have said, the single room is very small with no window, and the bathroom in the adjacent (tiny) bathroom would not open. I felt the consequent lack of air during the night and had to keep the room ajar to improve air circulation. I also had numerous insect bites during the night and eventually found and killed the bug responsible (which I think was a flea). The hosts' response was entirely sympathetic and appropriate however, and it could be (as they said) that it was 'brought' by a previous guest. I still feel I should mention it.....

Hosts were pleasant and helpful. Breakfast was good.

• Reviewed: 4 September 2016

• Double Room Ensuite

Location of the property was very difficult to find. Although we were told google maps would locate them it took us on a goose chase. Frustrating after a long day of driving.

breakfast was adequate.

• Reviewed: 20 August 2016

• Small Single Room - En Suite

Might have been better slightly nearer the pub(s) for evening meal but I enjoyed the walk and needed some off-bike exercise.

Cosy room, friendly, informative owners, motorcyclist friendly.General location is quiet/rural but is well placed to access stunning countryside and interesting towns and villages

• Reviewed: 11 August 2016

Nothing, lovely place

What a wonderful place to rest after long day on Offa's Dyke Path! Keith was super welcoming & everything about the accommodation was so well thought out & comfortable- apparently water from taps comes from a spring. I left too early to enjoy breakfast but I have no doubt it would have been hearty! Thanks Keith for making me so welcome.

• Reviewed: 8 August 2016

• Large Double Room (En Suite)

The welcome from the owner, his general helpfulness and excellent local knowledge. Top quality food and efficient service. Immaculately clean room (both bed and bathroom).

• Reviewed: 20 July 2016

• Large Double Room (En Suite)

middle of nowhere, can`t find it with GPS, price too high, breakfast only from 8:30, no drinks served (nearest bar mile away), not the best parking

not a lot

• Reviewed: 15 July 2016

• Small Single Room - En Suite

I did find it a little too warm, and it would have been perfect to be able to open the bedroom window.

The sausages were to die for, and the tomatoes were done just as I like them. Welsh harp music was played while we had breakfast and we could ask anything we wanted to know about the house and the locality. The proprietors were very friendly and helpful.

• Double Room Ensuite

Historic building with interesting character and charm, and friendly hosts

A warning that sat navs do not work there, with a clear map from the main road is essential.

• Double Room Ensuite

Breakfast with local produce was lovely. Owners were nice and friendly.

• Large Double Room (En Suite)

This B&B was very good. The owners were friendly and informative. Lovely breakfast and room comfortable

• Large Double Room (En Suite)

Narrow check in window Difficult to find even with owners advice to use google maps took us to wrong place

Was great that the dogs could stay

Was great that the dogs could stay

No complaints

The hosts were great and harp music with breakfast! It was awesome!

Mostly everything

• Twin Room en suite

Bathroom very tiny but that’s unavoidable

The house was full of charachter the food was delicious and it was ideally located for our trip

• Small Single Room - En Suite

Absolutely fantastic setting nicely out the way

• Double Room Ensuite

Room a little tired, but in keeping.

Keith was very hospitable and breakfast was cooked well and a good choice available.

• Double Room Ensuite

Bad location to find, rooms dated and not the cleanest. Carpet in the bathroom???

Accomodated out large dog

• Small Single Room - En Suite

Hosts were very friendly and helpful

• Twin Room en suite

No baked beans wife told rudely they are American not English. We were in the attic eaves a problem, beds uncomfortable

• Twin Room en suite

Nothing suited our needs perfectly,

Wonderful friendly hosts quiet location ideal for hikers / walkers

Breakfast not early enough

Overall good

• Small Single Room - En Suite

Lovely house and very friendly and accommodating hosts.

• Large Double Room (En Suite)

The feel of the house and its history. The owners were so helpful and very welcoming.

• Large Double Room (En Suite)

a little out the way from everything

beautiful house (i wish it eas mine) beautiful views friendly staff dogs free car parking space

• Small Single Room - En Suite

Very small bedroom with no window to the outside and very dated decor

Nice breakfast room

Nothing - everything was good!remote

Excellent breakfast

• Twin Room en suite

Lovely, friendly owners and a lovely breakfast.

• Small Single Room - En Suite

The downers were very pleasant and extremely helpful. The breakfast was cooked perfectly.

A little too quirky

• Reviewed: 5 November 2016

• Small Single Room - En Suite

An absolute gem of a find with wonderful friendly owners and excellent breakfast.

• Reviewed: 18 October 2016

nothing really

location & Breakfast

• Reviewed: 18 October 2016

• Small Single Room - En Suite

Very tranquil setting, even had their own spring water. Perfect breakfast and overall very friendly and helpful hosts.

• Reviewed: 1 October 2016

Deceptive photo .. Parking.. Attic room

Friendly owners

• Twin Room en suite

potential fire hazzard unable to use shower as roof was too lowbed linen and towels old the only daylight and ventilation was by a skylight

• Reviewed: 30 August 2016

• Large Double Room (En Suite)

Long drive to walk up to, little bit hard after a whole day of walking.

The breakfast was 1st class, locally sourced, delicious food.

• Reviewed: 28 August 2016

• Twin Room en suite

Having a room up in the attic!

Excellent breakfast

• Reviewed: 21 August 2016

• Double Room Ensuite

The booking.com website links to the wedding location on google maps

A place of enormous character in a brilliant location for exploring

• Reviewed: 1 August 2016

• Twin Room en suite

No breakfast before 8.00 o clock, so got no breakfast!

Fair comfortable house

• Reviewed: 10 July 2016

• Small Single Room - En Suite

It is a little old- fashioned,but that is also it's charm.

Extremely hospitable hosts,and a lovely breakfast,as well as environment

• Reviewed: 27 June 2016

• Twin Room en suite

Tight compact bathroom. Had a bath but a shower would have given more room.

Location was perfect for walking Offas Dyke path. Good breakfast.

• Reviewed: 25 May 2016

The room was cramped and the décor dated and depressing. The dining room, corridors and staircase cluttered with ornaments and family photographs.

The shower in the ensuite was roomy and comfortable. The English breakfast was good.

• Reviewed: 16 May 2016

The rooms and ensuite were very small, but good value for money. It rained, but we can't blame anyone for that. A separate lounge for us to sit in and relax would have been welcome.

Lovely old house set in lovely countryside. Mine host was most helpful and informative. The dining room is beautiful.

• Reviewed: 13 May 2016

Single room was very small - almost a broom cupboard........... Only window was in the shower room.

Good location! Wild and remote. Interesting property - subdivided into 4 units only one of which is B& B. Breakfast very tasty and hosts very genuine. Shower hot and refreshing.

• Reviewed: 31 March 2016

We stayed for three days and told them we had problems with the shower from day one and it wasn't attended to. The shower was either drip drip freezin cold or boiling hot. Couldn't wash my hair. Didn't feel clean when I went to bed.

I liked Carole the owner's wife who was very helpful and friendly - Keith seemed to know everything, except how to fix the shower! We told them we were vegetarian and we had a lovely scrambled eggs on toast or beans on toast breakfast.

• Reviewed: 29 March 2016

Everything! Run by a lovely couple, friendly, clean, helpful, tasty breakfast, close to eateries, close to offa's dyke path and other treks. Make sure you give them a call when you get to the Old Pandy Inn for directions as GPS will not get you there.

• Reviewed: 6 March 2016

I arrived later than expected and was instantly made to feel welcome. Offered a fresh jug of milk to take to my room. The single bed was the most comfy I have ever slept in. The bathroom and room were spotlessly clean. On my return on the second day Keith gave me a guided tour of the gardens and explained the history of the house which I absolutely loved. Breakfast was perfect and afterwards I enjoyed hearing a little about the local history. Would definitely recommend.

• Reviewed: 18 October 2015

The weather!

Owners put themselves out to ensure a comfortable and informative stay. Happy to answer any questions and provide an excellent tailormade breakfast. Nothing seemed to be too much trouble and there was a geniune openness and willingness to safisfy their guests. I loved all the family artefacts and attention to detail in the dining area .

• Reviewed: 13 October 2015

My attic room had a sloping ceiling. This made the shower situated over the bath very awkward to use, as there was little room to stand upright. To reach the room I had to carry my luggage up 40 steps.

Wifi in the bedroom. Tasty breakfast.

There are also 27 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.