Reviews of Marquis Hotel 3 stars

Belgrave Road, Torquay, TQ2 5HQ, United Kingdom

#114 of 119 B&Bs and Inns in Torquay

Based on 736 B&B reviews

The staff were helpful and friendly. The bed was really comfortable. We took our two dogs who loved it. Ground floor room was great for the dogs. Will stay again.

• Double Room with Sea View

Noise made late at night by other residents Breakfast rather basic Hotel fabric tired Garden overlooked and in urgent need of attention

Easy access to car Waiter at breakfast was very willing Car parking on site a considerable advantage Location close to Torre Abbey

• Quadruple Room with Garden View

The restaurant and bar were above our room - we didn't mind that and the Club Singer finished around 10pm so it wasn't really a problem for us! The garden has so much potential, there was a pond area covered over which we stayed away from and a few loose paving steps. No lighting of path etc at dark.

We booked a Garden View room as we took our doggy, excellent access to the Garden and park and beach beyond. Henry the Owner arranged for us to all have breakfast together in the bar area with our doggy - this wouldn't usually be possible for us so we appreciated that very much. The room and shower room were very clean and and all 3 beds (double and 2 twins) very comfortable. The location of the hotel is excellent. As a family we all enjoyed our stay :) and would love to stay again.

• Family Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

It was really hot when we went in Torquay but the room has no airconditioner at all. It was boiling there. The hotel is quite old already. It’s an okay hotel. Bed is comfy enough.

Beds are okay

Would be a bit of a trek walking to the town with younger children but taxi was only about £4.00 to town centre

we had a garden room with patio door leading right out to a footpath through the garden that led to a path taking you directly to the seafront. Each garden room (there's only 6!) had their own parking space. We were out most of the time so only used the room really to shower, change & sleep. We had a room with a brand new bathroom which was lovely. There was a group of about 30 of us and we used the bar and thought prices were reasonable. Breakfast was good as well and the staff were very accommodating with requests for extra toast, coffee, juices etc.. Well worth what we paid!

The hotel on first entering smelt musty the entrance and Folly was very dark. As you looked around you could see the walls, carpet, and general area was very dated and worn out. Not a good start! On entering my room by staircase (old people take note) it was very small for a double room, but clean. The room was also very dated. The bathroom, was well a bathroom, it had a bath be it only 4ft, with a shower that was so old it could have starred in a Poirot film. A basin and toilet. It was best to crack the window open to allow some circulation of air!

The staff really made this Hotel. They were friendly and very sincere at what they do, and made the whole experience a lot better. The full English breakfast could not be faulted. A great display of a well varied selection of food.

The staff were very disorganised serving breakfast and we had to ask for toast a coffee more than once with a less than satisfactory response. The room was very small and the windows draughty. The bathroom was cramped and no adequate space for toiletries and the toilet paper in a very inaccessible position.

We were attending a conference and I chose the hotel for its proximity to the conference centre. It met my expectations in this regard.

there was a smell in the corridor to our rooms a wet patch in the corridor carpet no flexibility with helping to give a slightly early breakfast as we needed to be at the conference hall just after 8

• Family Room with Garden View

-Externally the hotel isn’t tidy or pretty -Hotel could do with an update, very old fashioned -Staff weren’t very welcoming

-Room was spacious with a garden view and use of patio door - Perfect location

Would have liked more power on the shower but it wasn’t bad for an electric one! My mom and dads room had a wonderful shower I just think it was the location of my room’s bathroom which caused the difficulty! I was in 304.

Extremely comfortable bed! Clean and spacious. Breakfast was lovely!

The staff were very accommodating and nothing was too much trouble. The breakfasts were very good. There was comfortable chairs in the lounges so we could all meet and chat

Maybe a little short staffed at the time

Really friendly staff, good breakfast, great location. The lounge is a good place to go and have a drink after a visiting the town.

The single bed was a bit small. There was a coach party staying there and several of them were coughing something awful at breakfast. It really put me off my meal.

Good location close to the seafront with a large car park.

Too long waiting time to b asked if we wonted t and toast, breakfast cold on the Saturday, Sunday was better but no sauces on table and we had to ask for a cup of t, staff were lovely though,definitely going back there

Room and bed good for amount you pay to stay there.

Our friends room was 205. this was classed as a single room, no bedside lamp, no headboard, plug socket that stuck in they back when they sat up in bed New Years Eve meal only 2 veg had to pay as soon as we walked in door to book in. Veg was sprouts and red cabbage. When we booked in Feb. 2017 we booked 2 double rooms we ended up with our friends having a single room with a double bed in it. The Hotel said they only had 6 single rooms they must have over booked the double rooms and ended up with putting our friends in a single room If we had booked later we could understand it but booking in FEB 2017 is not expectable

Breakfast was good and fresh and plentiful The view from our room was good Good New Years night

For the size of the hotel the car park is small once there is a coach parked up there was nowhere to turn my recovery truck round, the staff were helpful but had to wait for the tour bus driver to turn up.

The staff were help full and welcoming throughout my stay. And the breakfast was excellent.

On arrival/booking in there was some confusion re booking names via booking.com but sorted out.

Overall stay was good, easy walking distance to sea and Torquay town centre.

My only fault with the place was the nescafe original coffee I can't stand the stuff but I really like my coffee so I couldn't have my morning coffee and the breakfast looked tasty but it was so cold in the canteen area as soon as the food left the hot plate it was cold by the time we got to our table.

Our greeting was brilliant and our room was lovely and warm considering how cold it is outside at the moment also the bed was nice a comfy so I can't really complain about the comfort of the place. We had a problem with our shower not heating up but we got ahold of the receptionist and she sorted us out with a warm shower in no time which was great.

I wasn't able to use their wifi due to poor signal. Also, the breakfast was slightly disappointing - the staff were helpful but busy so I didn't get offered toast or coffee until I was finished.

Great location and value for money. Have stayed here before and would stay again.

The room was freezing. My friend also had other room bed was damp plugged in heater he is disabled with a heart failure problem asthma we both have heart conditions and asthma. I had allergy to the dust as I suffer with this. I complained to the manager a women she said it was last minute booking which wasn't true I said to her booked 4 and half hours notice. What sort of hotel is this disgusting!!! I had to use to covers quilts over my bed twin room.

Breakfast was reasonable

|Nothing really not to like.

Friendly welcome, nicely decorated clean room, with plenty of space, and a buffet breakfast with a good selection of cereals and hot foods.

Very tiny room. Very poor directions to room and back to reception. No lift. No offer from receptionist to help with luggage up the stairs. Poor selection at breakfast and 'hot ' food was cold.

Room wS clean

Did not get the rooms we booked ie.. disabled ground floor, stuck on 1st floor when we specifically requested ground on the booking request. Bed side cabinets had tea or coffee drips on the front, very small shower cubicle. Lots of late night noise, singing from the public house close by, football songs etc.

Good breakfast.

Bedside lamp didn't work and wasn't sorted out.

Overall a good hotel for the money. Breakfast was a bit "samey" but perfectly adequate. Staff were helpful and friendly. Good access into town and harbour area.

• Deluxe Double Room with Sea View

It was well over priced at 135 for one night, I had expected something more luxurious but it was equal to my friend’s accommodation when they paid half the price for the same night and in the same area. It wasn’t even a proper shower, it was a bath with shower taps. Very disappointed.

The hotel man was quite friendly. The breakfast lounge with the big window was quite nice.

I thought the walls in the bedroom looked a little worn and the shower head in the bathroom needed cleaning. Also the curtains needed to be repaired as they had come adrift at the top of rail.

I enjoyed my stay as the hotel was close to the train station, local shops and the beach. It was also a short taxi ride from Living Coasts - a coastal zoo and aquarium- which I visited as one of my friends got married at this venue! The cost of the room was good value as included a cooked breakfast in the room rate. I paid £92 for 2 nights accommodation with an ensuite!

Unfortunately the building and furnishings do not live up to the same high standards of the staff. Its a very tired and tatty building, and the furniture is on the verge of disintegrating in many cases. We had 4 windows in our room, 3 of which were jammed shut and the bed was very creaky and uncomfortable. Such a grand building in need of some TLC.

The staff were brilliant, very helpful and cheerful,

In my opinion the Marquis is overpriced, we paid £100 for an average room with ingrained dirt on radiator & bathroom door. OK it was September and end of season but the room should be cleaned. The shower was feeble and not enough water to wash our hair. The breakfast was disappointing - tinned tomatoes and the only fruit was tinned grapefruit and prunes. At breakfast we were asked if we were on a coach trip - which we were not! Perhaps they got a better breakfast!! I stay in Torbay quite regularly to visit family. This was not good value.

Location was in walking distance of the beach and promenade.

• Family Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

Room (No.116) was nicely appointed & comfortable within itself, but the continuous traffic noise was very disturbing until at least 4.00am or later - before we could sleep.

The general ambience of the Hotel was very pleasant and we were well greeted and shown to our very clean room. The staff in general were very helpful and friendly. Breakfast good

• Family Room with Garden View

Base of bed broken and collapsed through. Given different room after complaining but had the same problem. The rooms and hotel were very tired and grubby. Breakfast was ok but nothing brilliant. The rooms boasted garden views. I would be embarrassed if my garden looked like this. Very poor value for money. Disappointed that this hotel was on your website.

Location and car parking.

• Family Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

Hotel reception was very unhelpful due to booking.com booking a room twice that made me have to pay twice for it so would never ever use this hotel again I would not recommend it

It was close to the centre

• Family Room with Sea View

lock broken on window and a staple an asp with a bit of wire was used to secure window . hotel needs updating just looked a bit tired.

good parking very friendly and helpful staff great location for walking to torquay .not bad entertainment .

• Double Room with Garden View

Dirty bedroom, stains on seats of chairs, floor & skirting boards dirty, offensive smelling, & no ventilation. Rusty bathroom radiator, mould on tiles. Cold breakfast, asked 3 times for toast

The only likeable thing about this place was the parking.

The room was nothing as advertised. Dead fly in the bed rotten woodwork. Room was freezing. Left on Sunday and stayed at a hotel not far away half the price and a million times better the the manquis

Not a lot apart from the staff was pretty friendly

Room was waiting decoration but everything was useable.

Comfortable beds, Great staff, super meals and fantastic breakfast. Good view from 1st floor room.

Despite reviews stating this hotel had been recently renovated,we thought the facilities looked a little tired.

Accommodation very comfortable, room and bathroom nice and clean. We had one of the garden rooms with access directly onto the car park which was very convenient. Fabulously easy walk down to the beach out the back of the hotel. Lovely breakfast, reception staff very friendly and accommodating.

The lifts were out of order which was a bit of an inconvenience as we were in a room on the top floor.

The beds were very comfortable, the rooms were very clean and well maintained, the food was very good and the staff very friendly and helpful.

It was a real pity that the breakfast plates were unheated. It spoiled the self service meal. To get round that I had scrambled eggs each day which came hot and and on warm plates. Great shame. We missed having fresh fruit to start breakfast as we get in all Hotels and B and Bs and were disappointed that there was just tinned prunes or grapefruit!

The bedroom was large, clean and comfortable. The bedding was perfect.

Bathroom was very small and extractor fan not working. Room very warm could not keep windows open because we were on the ground floor over looking car park.

Breakfast was good and location was great. Staff were friendly.

The night life was too rowdy in the town, it was a bank holiday but there were so many drunk groups it was awful, it spoiled our enjoyment of the town, the bars played the music so loud that we were put off going into them which was a shame as Torquay is a nice town overall.

Breakfast and the views over the bay in the evening.

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

The curtains in our room let in lots of light as they were really thin. When I say "one for yourself" buying a £13 round of drinks, taking £4 is cheeky! Obviously I only said it once. A bar price list on display would be good too, as prices appeared to vary!

Our room, 216 was a good size with a double bed and two singles. Bathroom was fine. Breakfast was fine, decent choice on hot buffet and staff polite and efficient. Hotel bar hardly used so we had it to ourselves! No permanent bar staff (not needed during our stay) so we just asked at reception and they served us. Our children enjoyed the free pool table.

Would have been nice if the lifts were working.

The room appeared to have had a major refurbishment but did not seem to be quite completed. There were no towel rails in the bathroom- no hooks on doors to hang anything. We had a lot of stairs to get to our room but this may have been because I had asked for a bath and not a shower as I knew we were arriving after a long drive and I need a bath to soak the kinks out.

Our room was noisy drains outside on the morning we where goin you could smell the drain in the bathroom for what we paid for the room it was abit small also water damage on wall by radiator

The location was good and the breakfast was good

Arrived late evening, minimal staff. one chap doing it all, booking in, keys & the bar.

Location was very good. Parking was great. Hotel Is tired but I believe is being updated by new owners. For £90.00 pn in high season it was good. Breakfast buffet was plentiful. Staff were friendly.

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

If this was luxury, looking onto an overgrown garden, and the embarrassment of the first room we were shown to was not clean, evidence of previous occupants. We were told two different things by managers about parking, when we said we were told something different" well he wouldn't know!" Poor service

The tap in bathroom was missing a handle, there was no ventilation for bathroom, did not open bedroom window because coach drivers used the area to smoke in. Breakfast was not a good start to the day, toast of the cheapest variety smelled of vinegar, tea did smell of semolina and zero taste. I could not face the cooked breakfast and the waiter smelled of cigarettes

Bedroom was small and so was the bed, the room was tired and it could do with decoration. Paid extra to have a sea view but I was disappointed with room

Breakfast was lovely

gardens desperate to be attended to,would be lovely to sit out in garden.looks like an old swimming pool covered over badly.

single bed very comfy asked for softer pillows and housekeeper was very obliging left in my room on my return.Good size room for a single.bathroom,clean white tiles nice fittings lovely large shower.fluffy white towels.reception staff very friendly and helpful.breakfast help yourself,good selection of cooked foods,dining room large and bright.staff very friendly.lots of sitting areas with lovely sofas ,all in keeping with either the historical part rooms, or the modern part .

We had 2 rooms. The shower in 1 room (113) was barely a trickle, and the shower in the other room (112) was either freezing or boiling to the point of burning

Breakfast was lovely. Beds were comfortable. Hotel was in a great location

• Family Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

Room not clean enough. Cobwebs a lot of dust and found animal hairs on the bed. Managment unhelpful. Double booked room and didn't help sort out problem only interested in being paid.

Not a lot. Breakfast was ok and room fairly quiet during the night so slept fine.

the toilet although clean had a faulty roll holder which caused damage to floor also radiators not cleaned in between which seeing as everyone watches four in a bed now we all know where to look

the staff at breakfast were fantastic good value for money and have as much as you liked

I was impressed with the receeptionist Samantha as she was very efficient in resolving an issue with the room I booked.

The breakfast was magnificent with an excellent choice and as a bonus there was a lovely garden and Seaview. This is meant to be one of the best views from a breakfast/dining room in Torquay and I was quite impressed with it.

• Family Room with Garden View

I can not recommend this property enough. It was not only in an ideal location, but everything about our stay was great. We had a family room which there was more than enough for all three of us. And a good hearty breakfast to start off the day - couldn't have asked for more. Would definitely stay again.

• Family Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

The only thing hat would improve the hotel would be the outside landscaping if Regis was improved it would be perfect

It was a lovely hotel and great staff. Perfect location

The general decor of the hotel was poor and the rooms smelt of dirty carpets and chlorine in the bathroom. The lady at reception had a poor attitude as was not welcoming at all. Felt dirty so refused to stay for breakfast which was included.

The location that was all.

• Quadruple Room with Garden View

1) Being misled into believing we were having a "Garden" room 2) Smell from the shower 3) Hotel grounds were unkempt 4) Clearly needs a major uplift 5) Parking offer not what it seems

The staff

Staff... not a lot of them.. my friend came around to see me.. and I went to reception to order a coffees..the receptionist was doing the bar job as well.. her answer to me was - don't u have coffee in ur room? Omg I'm ordering coffee from the bar... she shouldn't work with customers.. we went to roof terrace ... we didn't expect to get any coffees... thank god we got them. But rest was ok.

English breakfast only, no choice of hot drinks. Coffee or tea and no sweet options (croissant, etc.)

Very old-fashioned but nice style. Near the main beach.

They took £50 without telling me. Accusing me of things I've done which I hadn't. Says it to pay a fine. Not one member of staff mentioned about this fine until I realised they took £50 and emailed them and not considered to pay it back. hotel and food was poor. Never step foot in there again.

Nothing. It was all perfect.

Needed somewhere to stay for myself and family with our pet dog. From our arrival to departure we was absolutely impressed with the service the rooms and more especially how brilliant it was for our dog too. A nice garden to exercise the dog and area in the breakfast room for our dog to accompany us too. My parents are retired and find stairs difficult but the hotel found them a ground floor room with a patio door leading straight onto the carpark, ideal for unloading our luggage from our vehicle. The staff were amazing and the rooms very clean and comfortable indeed. If your a family with a pet dog, I highly recommend this hotel. It's absolutely brilliant.

The grounds were unkept rather spoilt the view from the bedroom window.

V,.ery central location, 5 minutes walk to the seafront, hotel was clean and room was clean and tidy

I didn't see any evening dining but was dining elsewhere while investigating the area.

Arrived in the late evening, greeted by the night janitor who was efficient and friendly, explained about breakfast arrangements ,showed us to our rooms (2 singles and a twin) also served in the bar until beyond midnight. The room was clean,comfortable and overlooked the car park . The hotel garden led down towards the beach and seafront gardens. Good view from the comfortable and large dining room towards the garden and sea. Breakfast was excellent with fruit juices, various cereals, full English bacon,egg,sausages etc. Pots of tea or coffee served at the table. Good value booking.

It was really hot and my window didn't open more than a crack, so the room was stifling. Impossible to sleep well unfortunately.

Good sized room, really nice bathroom. Great breakfast.

• Family Room with Sea View

Very basic with old furniture

The location was good. Nice and friendly staff specially those who are serving breakfast😊they let us leave the car at the hotel car park for few hours after the check out. Thank you

I cannot think of anything there was to dislike Staff were brilliant (all of them) food was lovely, and room was nice The evening entertainment was great

The staff were excellent and always cheerful. They could not have been more helpful If possible I will be returning next year

• Family Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

Possibly croissants and/or yoghurt on the breakfast buffet. However there was a good included breakfast offered.

Sliding doors to the garden was perfect to walk out to in the mornings with our dog. Staff very friendly and nothing too much trouble.

On arrival we could not help notice how run down the outside area was.broken fences,weeds,cigarette butts every where, lawns uncut and the biggest eyesore was the swimming pool covered by a dirty tarpaulin. We decided to view our rooms, what a mistake that was, dirty carpet with a burn mark left by an electric iron, the room needed a good over all deep clean. The bathroom was just as disgusting, did not look as if it had been cleaned in months.

We did not like anything about this place, we only stayed for ten minutes.

- Decor is a bit dated - Old wooden windows with thin glass make it very easy to break in

- Very helpful staff - Comfy bed - En-suite bathroom - Flat screen TV - Kettle + cups and few tea bags and coffee sachets in the room - Nice breakfast buffet

The Whole Hotel Needed Complete Refurbishment Throughout ...furniture was cheap and dated ....shower was appalling told them but nothing done ....ripped bathmat which I stood in corner wouldn't stand dog on it Habours Germs ...don't think room vaccumm during 2 weeks stay ...Garden terrible .....would never stay again and would not recommend....But Staff was Brilliant not there fault if management won't do anything to Correct the Situation...

All we liked was the staff ...breakfast was nice but sometimes nearly warm

Room was dated and en suite very small.Friendly

Hotel was in a good location, close to all amenities. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Enjoyed eating breakfast overlooking garden, with the sea in the background. Enjoyed sitting out at night on roof garden (it did help that the weather was beautiful).

Wifi was not good from our room

Breakfast was very nice and plentiful , the setting was very pleasant with good view it was fairly quiet when we visited and therefore the evening time was very quiet enabling good nights sleep

There are no lifts and to get to the third floor bedrooms the back stairs have to be used. It's a long way up or it feels like it!!.

Excellent breakfast Good clean rooms.

I forgot my hair straighteners they were left in the room on window seal . I tried phoning no answere . Hoped they would forward on in post but no they haven't .

Helpful and friendly

• Deluxe Double Room with Sea View

It was fine for our short stay. There were a few moans on the site about the decor etc but they have a new owner who will be refurbish it in new year. It is an old building but the facilities were good and we did read before we decided. I must add that the car park is good and NOT open to non residents. Good value for money.

The breakfast was good, the room looked out onto the terrace and spacious. The staff were very pleasant. The location was perfect.

Bedroom Bedroom door old external areas shabby Carpet throughout shabby Reception area poor No yoghurt Lift didn't work Lots of stairs Hotel needs a full refit as it's old and tired and a 2 star maximum Staff lovely and friendly

Bathroom suite Sheets nice Room size Plenty car parking space Windows can open Allow pets Good breakfast range

We had to move from first room we were put into as there was water leek from ceiling, as it was raining, and the shower stunk of sewage, the general cleanliness of that bathroom was poor. we were offered second room but window would not close and as it was very cold we declined, and settled for third room offered to us reluctantly, This room was a good size, but the cleanliness was very poor, toilet area shocking, shower shocking, also getting sewage smells but not as bad as first room, tea cups dirty, spoon had dried remainder of food on it, we managed to get through the week by spraying Dettol and air freshener. we now wish we had gone home and not bothered .

room size,