Reviews of Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian 5 stars

Princes Street, Edinburgh, EH1 2AB, United Kingdom

#51 of 138 hotels in Edinburgh

Na

The breakfast buffet, especially the black pudding was excellent and the staff really attentive, without being intrusive. Went there to celebrate Dad’s 80th and the hotel made sure that all our requests for the birthday meal were met

• Premier Twin Room

Hotel was in the midst of renovation, and my room was in a corridor full of workmen, ladders, plastic on the floors and lots of Noise (albeit post 8:00 am, which was appreciated). I felt very much like an inconvenience, in the way of the workers, which I didn't feel reflected well on the hotel. Had I been told in advance about the works I might well have made alternative arrangements. At the least it would have been a simple, welcome courtesy to ask me if I was OK with being so close to them (In fact I wasn't). I completely understand works need to happen, but given the cost of the hotel, and the timings (half-term) I was disappointed with the manner in which they were being conducted, from an aesthetic pov if nothing else.

Friendly staff on the whole (reception more generic and less so). Great quality and variety at breakfast and some of the best service here I've experienced in years. Great huge rooms, with super views of the Castle. ON the whole a well-appointed hotel, with good facilities, but not great value for money & not in the league of their other Group hotels I have stayed in.

• Premier Twin Room

was really surprised when we had breakfast on the morning of our arrival they had no Earl Grey tea for breakfast. I was told they would have it for the following morning but that didn't happen. Found a hair in my scrambled eggs which was quite unfortunate and unsetting

Our twin room was very comfortable and quiet. The gym and pool areas were also nice too. Great location

• Deluxe Queen Room

The fact that went fir breakfast on Sunday 10.30 not told it finished then only when sat down told clearing away in 10 mins then was charge 46.00 plus service charge (buffet) ??? Style yet 15per cent charge what to be served a cup of coffee

Location and staff

• Deluxe Queen Room

Asked for room with view of castle as was in City celebrating husbands 60th birthday. Told no problem. Arrived and put in rear overlooking car park and building work :( disappointing

• Deluxe Queen Room

Brilliant location in the heart of the city. The hotel provides a beautiful and comfortable stay away from home. The staff went above and beyond to ensure we had a memorable stay. I would recommend it to anyone wanted a little piece of luxury away from home.

• Deluxe Queen Room

The airport transportation was a disaster. My flight was delayed but they didn't offer me another option instead of just cancelling the driver who was supposed to wait for us so I had to wait another 30 minutes (I already had to wait 2 hours in the airport for my flight) at 3 am for a cab.

The breakfast, the location and the hotel itself is perfect!

• Premier Double Room

The buffet breakfast is not up to a decent standard. The 1st morning the food was overcooked, we didn't bother the 2nd morning and the 3rd morning the sausages and bacon were cold as someone hadn't turned on the heaters the food was in. I had a baked egg and it was raw at the bottom, the 2nd one I had was fine, very disappointing.

Staff were very friendly and helpful. Room was a great size though a little dark. Location was excellent.

• Premier Double Room

Outlets! From US, we found the outlets challenging - nothing in bathroom. In main room two different types so our adaptors didn't work on all of them. Not a huge problem but all should be converted.

The castle view was amazing. Staff attentive and helpful. Loved the location and mini bar fridge. We didn't use products in fridge but found it essential for our snacks and leftovers from other venues.

• Premier Twin Room

Check in was not good. Arrived at 12,30 but did not get room until 5.15. Had to be at function for 6.00. Lighting in room quite poor The pool is too hot. Couldn't use the jacuzzi it was 40 degrees

room was spacious and beds very comfortable. Breakfast was excellent. Paid extra for room with view of the castle but windows quite small in my room, but location was excellent. Staff were excellent

• Premier King Room with View

At 3 PM our room was not the one that we booked,so we had to wait 1 hour more to get a room. In the bath it took several minutes to have hot water. The room is nosy cause of lack of double window.

• Premier Queen Room

Absolutely loved the staff. Extra lovely, extra caring. Also the castle view we had was magnificent! Definitely will rebook again when we will return to Edinburgh

• Deluxe Queen Room

There was an issue where I was overcharged on my room rate, however, as soon as I bought it to the hotels attention, they rectified immediately.

Quite simply a beautiful place and the staff were fabulous.

• Queen Room

Didn't like the room it was too dark and no bath which we didn't know from reading the internet and no dressing table with mirror so very inconvenient only mirror my wife had to use to dry her hair was in the wardrobe and was not very practical When arrived and got to the room we found a letter that the pool and spa was closed and we had to go to another hotel(we were not told at reception) we did use it on the first day but very inconvenient to go across to the hotel to find they didn't have the same facilities so we didn't go again Air conditioning was too noisy to leave on

Bed was comfy We enjoyed the afternoon tea in the restaurant

• Premier Twin Room

Was disappointed after room was cleaned and beds made to find my nightdress on the floor behind the bedside cupboard. Had problem with the safe, it would not open when I put the code in, the manageress did all she could to sort out the problem and we did receive a complimentary dinner in the hotel as we couldn’t get in the safe to retrieve our money to go out to dinner.

Excellent location. Breakfast amazing. Staff very attentive. Altogether a very enjoyable stay, would recommend this hotel.

• Deluxe Queen Room

I thought the room was very small, the bathroom was tiny and it felt like we were stuck in a room as far anyway as possible.

Excellent breakfast and very helpful staff!!

• Queen Room

Break fast on last morning was rushed and very noisy and toast didn't arrive etc etc. I distinctly got the impression they were a little under staffed that day!

The staff were exceptionally engaging. Please thank Willie!

• King Suite

Disappointed with my suite - thought it was a little tired looking ? Poor shower. Only two teabags available in room. Slow connectivity with smart Tv . It was ok but I expected more

Outstanding staff - a huge credit to the hotel.

I got downgraded at check in due to being double booked which was a really bad start to the trip!.

The staff were excellent and the breakfast was brilliant

• Deluxe Queen Room

The beading around the window was rotten and came away making the sash window unsafe. I reported it to housekeeping but 24 hours later was still unsafe and unrepaired. You could really use a full length mirror in the room, there was a Henry vacuum in the hallway for the entire stay and at one point there were two vacuums. There was a very loud drilling noise at 8.30am in the morning.

Great location, doormen on the ball, reception very good, Caley Bar staff were lovely, cocktails amazing

• Deluxe Queen Room

I just loved how friendly everyone was, nothing was too much and the hotel itself is stunning! The bars, the restaurants, all made for a perfect birthday trip.

• Deluxe Queen Room

The cooked breakfast was very tepid verging on cold the toast was cold and burnt, which I did say something about and we were provided with fresh warm toast.

The shower was amazing

• Deluxe Queen Room

It would be difficult to point out any particular individual thing the whole experience was made special by the staff, attention to detail, etc. A truly special weekend.

• Deluxe Queen Room

Tiny room, long wait for drinks on Saturday evening, power cut meant we couldn’t use facilities in our room as planned ( although it was late at night). Bill was incorrect when we checked out ( when I made a written complaint I was told ( very politely) that this why they run through the bill with you as you leave, but I don’t think that’s ok that I’m overcharged for drinks and non-existent car parking. This is fine if you’re English is good!) Spa totally underwhelming, not to mention dangerously slippery. Wobbly table at breakfast- promptly moved- to another equally wobbly table). These things seem petty in isolation but lead to an overall impression of being undervalued as a guest.

Perfect location, lovely lounges. Prompt response to our concerns. Very pleasant staff.

• Deluxe Queen Room

The room was a bit disappointing given the cost but only a bit Cannot answer the question about the bath as we did not have one. There was almost no pressure in the cold tap on the sink.

• Deluxe Queen Room

Didnt like the extra charge we had to pay of 50 pounds for the room as we had already paid 300 for 1 night already, this is enough to pay in the first place for this hotel.

The rooms where to a very high standard in quality. The bed was very comfy and the shower was powerful and clean

See above

The communal areas were very pleasant, light and airy. The staff were courteous and helpful. We were initially given a room in an area of the hotel undergoing renovation and it felt as if we were living on a building site and on complaint were relocated to another room. This room was adequate but suffered from a lack of hot water in the bathroom. Maintenance visited to test the water and after running it for several minutes it did gain warmth but much water was wasted to get the temperature up to a satisfactory temperature. Not acceptable for a ‘luxury’ hotel.G

• Deluxe Queen Room

Unfortunately some of the rooms were being renovated and we stayed on the corridor next to those rooms. There was plastic covers over the carpet and some noise. However, I was Glad to see they were being renovated as we found our room a little rough around the edges.

Staff were very welcoming and helpful when we needed them. Great location wise and the views of the castle were outstanding!

Not a thing

We couldn’t fault the hotel, the staff were really pleasant from entering the hotel to leaving. Especially in the Pompadour restaurant where we had a fabulous dinner. The food was excellent.

• Deluxe Queen Room

The first room we were in was a bit dark and the only view was of the air conditioning units outside. Bit pricey!

Helpful staff, nice bar, great location. Staff were very helpful and changed our room for a better one.

• Premier Queen Room

Brilliant stay, faultless. Would love to be able to stay here more regularly. I even got a birthday card and a bottle of bubbles delivered to the from as it was my birthday. or room want ready for us so we were invited to complimentary drinks in the Caley Bar. We were upgraded to a larger room as we had our young son staying with us and we were extremely happy with the amenities and comfort- really luxurious. Unfortunately, the person in the room above ours kept us awake from 3 - 4am. Hardly the fault of the hotel but when we called to raise a complaint, the manager apologised profusely and immediately dealt with the problem. Finally went quiet and we woke to a hand written letter from the manager apologising for the disturbance. A problem for us which was fixed without delay and with such professionalism and courtesy. Delicious breakfast and we were even handed a surprise box of fresh muffins and doughnuts to take away with us. Wonderful service, we loved our stay left with happy memories. Hope to come back soon.

• Deluxe Queen Room

Only thing that could have been better was our view - we were stuck in a corner overlooking the heating and cooling systems and the walls of other buildings. Given the hotel's location, I would guess most rooms have spectacular views though. Lighting also was a bit dim, but didn't affect us, really.

The concierge was awesome and so helpful. Food was great. Bar man was great. Perfect location in the city between old town and new town. Requests for additional pillows and such (I'm pregnant) were immediately met. Would 100% recommend.

There was nothing we didn’t like really - all that I would say was the bed and pillows we didn’t find as comfy but that is just a personal preference.

It was my daughters birthday and it was a lovely surprise to have a ballon, card and a lovely half bottle of champagne in our rooms it was a really nice gesture and very much appreciated. The staff we met were lovely from the young man serving us at breakfast, the lady at the check-in and the concierge gents were all a credit to the hotel.

• Queen Room

The process of breakfast, buffet vs a la carte could have been explained to us a better on arrival as we checked in as in the morning there was lots of confusion with the staff as to what we had paid for.

The hotel was beautiful definitely worth its stars. The spa was a real treat and the gorgeous peacock bar was a lovely place to finish off the evening with drinks.

• Premier Twin Room

The mattress in my room was like sleeping on a rock!! I requested replacement and that too was worn and hollowed out and very uncomfortable! For the price and a six night I was extremely disappointed. The staff tried to accommodate my request/complaint and were very helpful but the mattress itself was awful.

Excellent service, dining and entertainment in hotel!! Lovely ambiance!!

• Queen Room

Room was very stylish, if small,but it had dark coloured walls and at back of hotel was very dark even in the morning I found out when I arrived the hotel was part of Hilton Honours scheme of which I am a Gold member; however as I booked through Booking.com I was not allowed the points for my stay- I did get a couple of vouchers for a free drink. If I booked direct with hotel I would have got the room cheaper and an upgrade.. From customer point of view I was at the hotel and i am a gold member no matter how I booked. Suggest Booking.com should have any hotel's membership scheme details in one's account details

Lovely breakfasts, and good selection. lovely bathroom

• Premier King Room

Extremely poor value for money. Decor is old and dated. Draft from bathroom window in a Premier King Room. And barely a dribble from the taps.

• Queen Room

Room was wrongly advertised with a bath. Room couldnt have been any more different from what we rhought we were vooking

Was very welcoming. And tried there best to sort out issues

• Deluxe Queen Room

We booked a room that was supposed to have a bath - told that they don’t have baths (despite what it said on booking.com) had to haggle to get upgraded to a room with a bath on a floor that was being refurbished with workmen, power lines and plastic floor coverings down. Still not a great room - made to sign an agreement for the upgrade for extra payment. Breakfast is not as good as it used to be and very busy. Parking is expensive. Coffee sachets not replaced after each night. Overall penny pinching - not the luxury the cally used to be.

Dinner in the brasserie was nice

• Deluxe Queen Room

The hotel location is great as a base and we had a room with a view of the castle. The only negative is that it's on a busy junction so there is quite a lot if traffic noise overnight. The only other niggle is the bath / shower tap which was a little difficult to find the stop position.

Staff were fantastic and there was a good breakfast menu with plenty of choice and excellent food.

• Deluxe Queen Room

Bed and pillows extremely uncomfortable so had a sleepless night. Swimming pool area really dated and run down. The water and air temperature was freezing so we couldn’t wait to get out.

Concierge staff and valet parking

• Premier Twin Room

We stayed in room 140 and the spa/ swimming pool seemed to take for ever to get too, through several corridors, up a lift.And then you had to walk another flight of stairs once changed to get to the pool area, and these steps were pretty slippy.This is the only big bear I had, but the smiley polite staff more than made up for this.

Staff were so smiley and pleasant, couldn’t do enough for you. The hotel couldn’t be better placed for shopping and the old town, local attractions etc.Beautifull Art Deco style features and really comfy beds.Wonderfull cooked breakfast.

• Queen Room

We had an amazing stay at the Waldorf Astoria, and would highly recommend to anyone looking for a Hotel that offers everything and caters for everybody. I can't wait to revisit.x

The location was fabulous, central to a wide variety of restaurants and shops. Our room had an breathtaking view over the castle. The breakfast we could not score any higher, it was delicious, and our waiter Chris was extremely welcoming and friendly, which made our breakfast experience one of the best we have ever had in a hotel.

• Deluxe Queen Room

Breakfast was so so. Awful scrambled eggs. I’m not sure how you can mess up scrambled eggs but it was bad. Staff at breakfast were running around stressed so much, it was not relaxing. Swimming pool was not impressive. Lounge beds looked tired and noise from jacuzzi was considerable. View from basement room was into a set of ventilators or something of a kind.

Good quality bed

• Deluxe Queen Room

Car park was not included, and there was no electric vehicle charger. The Sheraton next door has an EV charger and we parked there for a lower price and the electricity included for our Tesla.

• Deluxe Queen Room

We had an amazing time at the Waldorf Astoria. The staff was as discreet as helpful, providing an excellent service at all times. The hotel and facilities were great. Our bedroom had a view on the castle and the bed was so comfortable. Do not hesitate!

• Deluxe Queen Room

We loved the overall atmosphere at the hotel, the staff were very friendly and really efficient, the service was great! It was a very relaxing and enjoyable stay, and we loved the spa 😊

• Queen Room

The upkeep of the rooms was disappointing, my room felt unkept and dusty, I was here 3 nights and the mini bar wasn't filled once with my stay. Also, the bathroom radiator was loose and one day actually came away from the wall - all pictures attached to this review - shocking maintenance for a 5* hotel I was lucky I had a towel on the rack to catch the radiator otherwise its VERY HOT...

The service in the hotel from the moment you enter is excellent, the breakfast is more than you could imagine - again with a 5* service.

• Deluxe Queen Room

The fridge did not work and they did not manage to send someone to look at it during our 4 days staying there. Shower drain was blocked and I had to report this 3 times before someone came to sort it out. Both of those things could be checked before new guests arrive! The room was very small and overlooking their cooling system in the inner courtyard. Therefore there was a constant humming all night.

Very good breakfast. Nice pool. Central location.

• Deluxe Queen Room

We booked a deluxe queen room and,was disappointed in size plus no bath.

The location was excellent.staff very good. Waiter at breakfast was very tentative and courteous.

• Queen Room

We stayed in a Queen Room and the minibar wasn't stocked / fridges weren't working A few bits in the bathroom were a little rough around the edges but generally a nice stay

Breakfast was great

One tiny issue was that the mini bar had not been restocked and was also dirty with drink spillages. We had to request this was refilled after being in the room for several hours, which it was immediately, but the mess wasn't cleaned up. Our second room was very small for the price.

Staff are wonderful in the hotel and in the bar and the larger room we had was fantastic and the hotel happily added a small bed for my 10 year old daughter. The location is second to none and the hotel feels very luxurious.

• Deluxe Queen Room

The layers of dust on the mini bar,the room and the bathroom. Scales in the bathroom didn’t work Replenishing of tea facilities poor. Cost breakfast very expensive,not very good quality,and should be included in room rate. Spa area and pool need updating

The general hotel amenities and staff were very Nice

• Deluxe Twin Room

Room was cold. Shower water temperature was too cold and the water pressure wasn't great. Mini bar was empty. Beds could have been a bit more comfortable. Swimming pool was too cold. The flip flops provided at the spa are slippy and uncomfortable as they are plastic - this mixed with oil from treatments and water from the spa makes for a dangerous combination!

Room was very well decorated, spacious and comfortable. Hotel is gorgeous, staff are very, very good and the spa is just different class. Location is perfect. Would certainly return and would recommend to others.

• Deluxe Queen Room

The fire wardens could have been more organised when all guests had to evacuate when the fire alarm went off.

The staff were friendly. The smell of perfume in the lobby. The towels were fluffy. The door men were very attentive.

• Deluxe Queen Room

Reception staff VERY slow ( we found out that Scottish Hospitaly is somehow slow and unfriendly ) . Waited for a very long time for check in with baby . Ordered 3 rooms , asked for rooms near each other long time in advance but received rooms away from each other. Had to upgrade. On a last day maid woke me up just after 7 in a morning and ask if she could clean my room !!! I was shocked and scared as I was not expected someone knocking in my room so early and straight away thought that something bad happened. Staff in peacock bar downstairs is so slow ( you need to wait ages to get served cup of tea, and allow good few hours for food or afternoon tea) . Also there is some building work going on in hotel so expect noise in a daytime .

Pompadour restaurant was very nice . Consierge very helpful all the time . Nice breakfast Great location

Nothing. Everything was perfect for my Parents Diamond Wedding Celebration stay.

My Parents had the most wonderful time. It was a surprise for their Diamond Wedding Anniversary and they loved every minute of it. The Staff were attentive, kind and friendly, nothing was too much trouble. The Bedroom was large, with lovely furnishings and a great view of the Castle.Breakfast was lovely with lots of choice etc. Everything was perfect. The best hotel they have ever stayed in.

What’s no to like !

Management and staff extremely welcoming , courteous and friendly ! They all ensured everything was perfect ! Alex manager fabulous ! Lots of little extras for husbands birthday - chocolates etc . Gordon on door extremely friendly and helpful. Breakfast waiter so happy and so efficient and accommodating ! Girls in guerlain spa professsional and clearly very knowledgable and proud of products and treatments - very nice !

• Deluxe Queen Room

I didnt like the cleanleness half eaten food in fridge and not replenished, HAIR IN SHOWER PLUG ,STAIN ON PILLOW ,CRUMBS IN BED and was reported all ready and had no reply at all

• Premier Twin Room

On arrival I was charged more for the room having paid in full on Booking.com. Why was I charged more? It was a guaranteed price and paid in advance of check in. Charged £50 a night for incurrences that I did not want. Had to leave early due to bad weather and flights being cancelled and not even a gesture of a refund for checking out two nights early. Room was cold. Decor was nice but the colours made the room very dark and there weren’t enough lights.

• Premier King Room

BOOKED TWO ROOMS AT SAME TIME, TWO COUPLES. ONE ROOM PROVIDED WITH COMPLIMENTARY CHAMPAGNE, ONE NOT....NO IDEA WHY. HOTEL WAS ASKED BUT COULD NOT EXPLAIN. ONE ROOM HAD NO MINI BAR, IN SPITE OF IT BEING REPORTED AND A PROMISE THAT IT WOULD BE DEALT WITH IT NEVER WAS. AT CHECK ALL THIS WAS RAISED AGAIN AND WAS MET WITH A SHRUG OF APOLOGY........NOT THE SORT OF SERVICE EXPECTED OF SUCH A HOTEL.

GREAT BREAKFAST, EXCELLENT RESTAURANT SERVICE

• Deluxe Queen Room

Not a 5 star room. No view ( see photo) despite a written request months before at the time of booking and this was not on a deal - we paid full price. The bathroom was small and water took minutes to heat. Cleanliness was dubious (see photos) Money seems to have been invested in front of house and public rooms - all top show.

Staff were rude

Liked the location , hotel is beautiful, front desk and door staff were lovely Unfortunately the restaurant staff let the hotel down in both the breakfast restaurant and tea room

• Deluxe Single Room

i booked the usual room but was proposed to be upgraded ($) to more spacy one and with castle view, i agreed and paid for upgrade. before visiting the room i expected something really good,upgraded, but it was a good but small room, mainly occupied by the bad. please check the room size during upgrades and booking. it is too small for this value.

The location is wonderfull. SPA facilities are ok and start to work early.steam bath, sauna and swimming pool with complimentary mineral water help you to relax.breakfast is good and the choice is quite wide.

• Premier King Room

The room was noisy as it was next the air conditioning . The side of the room not good with the inline took away how comfortable it was .

Bed comfortable and bathroom good.

• Deluxe Queen Room

The mattress on the bed was very hard, which we don’t like and gives us both back pain. When returning will ask if they have a good quality mattress topper.

There was lots of choice at breakfast. The staircase is beautiful as is the peacock lounge, which is nice to sit and enjoy a night cap. The rooms are spacious and decorated tastefully. There is lots of history in and about the building and it lends to tell it’s historical background. The spa looked fantastic, and would use on a return trip. When staff knew it was our silver wedding anniversary a wee bottle of whiskey was left out for us and felt we had the personal touch. Staff were friendly, helpful and polite and were welcoming without being intrusive. Fantastic hotel and will definitely return!!!

• Deluxe Queen Room

The room wasn’t cleaned, the lights in the changing room for the spa weren’t working properly and went off and wouldn’t come back on while I was in the shower. Staff told me they already knew about the fault when I told them.

Bed was very comfortable, bathroom was nice. A bath would have been better than just a shower.

• Premier King Room

I didn’t like how I was not told about the spa or pool facilities or how to use the tv or anything else in the room. Also the toilet brush was filthy

I loved loved loved the hotel it was gorgeous. For it being a five star hotel I’m not happy we were not told anything about the room or the facilities when checking in. We were not told about the spa or the pool and also were not told how to use any of the facilities in our room. I can not fault the room as it was beautiful although needs a dusting and the toilet brush replaced as it was filly. Would recommend to friends and family

• Deluxe Queen Room

The bed was a little harder than we were used to

The high tea was amazing! Overall the staff and location made this an excellent base for a break in Edinburgh

• Deluxe Queen Room

The condition of the room and hallways were not up to expectations, the room was small and dated. the hallways leading to the rooms were in need of some refreshment, the condition was very poor.

The reception area, caley bar and peacock lounge were really outstanding very clean and modern while retaining the history of the building and hotel. The spa facility was also really nice and clean. The staff were also very attentive, always friendly and courteous.

• Premier King Room with View

No turndown service in room which was cold and bathroom freezing Also room didn’t get made up second morning till afyernoon

Bed ok coffee ok supper and drinks overpriced

• Premier Twin Room with View

Hairdryer broken. No hot water until we rang and it had to be reset by maintenance. Would be nice to have fresh milk for the tea and coffee. Difficulty using the pool as no family changing which caused a real problem for mum and nervous 8 year old boy travelling together.

Lovely greeting by doorman Willie who took our bag and led us to check in. Great view and well appointed room. Room was ready early and nice leisurely check out time

small note - hook and heat in the bathroom was not working - so could not hang towels and no heating - room was really cold first thing in the AM

Comfortable bed, great breakfast - accommodating staff, afternoon tea was a hit!

• Deluxe Queen Room

No minibar fridge in the room (had obviously been removed at some point as the plug was still visible in cupboard), and drinks simply stacked into the empty cupboard - not what you would expect from a hotel of this standard Carpet torn up on the floor near the bed

Teatime in Peacock Alley

• Queen Room

I stayed 3 days with work in a king room with view of castle. In that room it took over 10 minutes of running the water before it was hot. They sent a maintenance guy right when I was getting ready and then never sent him back. Beware of room 240! My colleagues had the same issue. It was an expensive room so I expected perfection. Then I switched rooms to a superior room for the weekend. It was very dark with black walls and much smaller. It only had accent lights and a small window so it was hard to see! The lighting made it difficult to apply make up.

Location is amazing and the overall look and feel of the hotel is very impressive.