Reviews of Caledonian Hotel 3 stars

67 Annan Road, Dumfries, DG1 3EG, United Kingdom

#16 of 24 hotels in Dumfries

• Classic Double Room

Nothing much not to like.

All up to scratch. Efficient staff. All as it should be. Enjoyed the proximity to the town centre which we walked into and found an excellent CAMRA pub for tea. Had a good feel about it.

• Family Room (4 Adults)

Could have a ‘hotel’ book in the room, eg meal times, fire escapes etc. Could consider a lounge for residents.

Well maintained, friendly staff and excellent food.

Very close to town and the station. The rooms were very cosy and well decorated. Buffet breakfast was really nice and the staff were very friendly. Free super fast WiFi was a great feature. Quiet and comfortable Hotel, will definitely stay again as I have family in Dumfries. Will highly recommend.

• Family Room (4 Adults)

Breakfast cant be served later than 09.30. Shower tap would switch itself from the temp I put it on to almost scolding hot so that was unpleasant to say the least. Towels are tiny - even the large ones will only fit a child and so one's modesty is not left intact.

My second time here. Great staff - very welcoming and hospitable. Bedroom was lovely and comfortable, nice beds! Very nice breakfast with lots of options - no request is too much. Very clean hotel throughout! Good location for the town centre and even though it's set back from a main road you dont hear any traffic.

• Classic Double Room

Some of the decor was really good - but in places the furniture didn't quite match it - but then again we have stayed in much more expensive hotels that that was try of as well!

Staff were very good, Meals in the restaurant were splendid.

• Family Room (4 Adults)

The hotel had a function on in the evening so the restaurant closed early. I wish the hotel had notified me so we could have planned for this.

Nice size room for three, two double beds. My son is getting too old for a sofa bed so a room with proper beds is a bonus.

We found the bathroom small, a tight squeeze in the shower.

The hotel was adjacent to the person we were visiting. They were happy to accommodate our guests for dinner. The porridge was excellent!

Bar meals were advertised but when I asked for one I was told I needed to book in advance so was refused. Disappointing!

Staff were very friendly. Good selection at breakfast which was hot and fresh. Very convenient for my purpose.

• Classic Double Room

Wish we could’ve stayed longer.

Amazed to get a room with a four poster bed for £50, including breakfast. Staff were great. Friendly & informative. Breakfast was perfect, buffet style full Scottish.

• Family Room (4 Adults)

I did not like the fact we were asked what we would like for breakfast the next morning at the point of checking in. It’s hard to know what you’ll want to eat the next morning. I was also asked when we would be coming down for breakfast - again hard to answer when you’ve just travelled 4 hours with two small children - who knows when they’ll wake up the next morning. I did however answer the question with “between 9 and 10am”. This was noted on my breakfast menu form. Next morning we went down for breakfast at 9.40am to be abruptly informed by a member of staff that breakfast finished at half 9. At no point were we told this - or we would have been down on time with two young kids to feed before another 2 hour car journey. Thoroughly disappointing way to be treated. We also had dinner in the restaurant but we were not given the 15% discount stated on booking.com website.

We had dinner in the restaurant which was very good.

• Family Room (4 Adults)

There was a 40th birthday party in the function room which is below the bedrooms. Music thumping until midnight and could sing along as we heard everything. Should be informed of this when booking. Bar closed very early, definitely before 10pm on first night as hotel quiet, however, if residents we should be able to enjoy a glass of something on holiday. Despite informing hotel of daughters dietary requirements, they had ran out of gluten free bread for breakfast.

Clean rooms. Friendly staff.

Property was excellent

Excellent stay, comfortable and clean throughout , room was large with a comfortable sofa and a four poster bed. Excellent food and drinks were very reasonably priced. Staff were very friendly and couldn't do enough for you.

Found the staff a little rude and curt over my issue with a shower door missing which in their words to quote, "doesn't effect me having a shower does it" The tiles on the bath room floor were cracked around the toilet basin with grout missing which is a huge health risk. An early breakfast was not accommodated. The first time in all my hotel B&B experiences. No discount or reduced rate at all offered especially for the priced paid. I will be stopping at a premier the next time.

A good variety on the menu

The food was really excellent, both at breakfast and dinner. The hotel restaurant was clearly a hit with local people as well as residents, it was busy (but not too busy). The staff are really friendly and helpful and the hotel is very well run. Good value for money too.

Stayed in single room. Easy 10 minute walk from train station. Friendly staff on arrival. Just had breakfast and food was fresh hot delicious and lots of it. Thankyou.

• Classic Double Room

Nothing of fault for the hotel but there were dinner guests leaving at night that were far too noisy considering the time of night that they left.

Everything was perfect, I've not had a complaint so far and doubt I ever will. Was pleasantly surprised with the four poster bed which I wasn't expecting!

• Classic Double Room

Breakfast choices had to be ordered the evening before, with a specified time which made us feel slightly pressurised about getting down to breakfast on time. Mattress was quite hard, though bed was a lovely four poster.

Friendly staff. Very clean attractive room. Lovely furniture. Good restaurant menu.

• Family Room (4 Adults)

Dinner wasn’t great with 2 dishes being sent back, chef didn’t take kindly to criticism. I felt the Menu doesn’t really cater for allergies to dairy, soya etc

Lovely rooms at reasonable prices, close to centre All the staff were helpful and lovely and very accommodating Rooms were clean and neat and well serviced throughout our stay. Was good if manager to discount the meal

Lovely hotel with amazing and helpful employees. Special thanks to Ian, who was a very nice and helpful. Amazing restaurant at the hotel with delicious meals. And a bag pipe performances of Stacy Hotel has great location

• Family Room (4 Adults)

Bathroom was a bit out of date but perfectly clean and suitable for needs.

Staff were very helpful and had good knowledge of area. Breakfast was amazing especially the eggs.

• Classic Double Room

Room was cold on arrival with both windows open wide. Other than this it was excellent . Staff very efficient and friendly .

Very comfy bed, breakfast was excellent .

It was all good.

What a lovely place to stay! Very well situated for Dumfries and the local area. We went to Caerlaverock Castle (about 10-15 mins drive) which was amazing! (see photo). The hotel room was lovely, very comfortable and with everything that we needed. We ate in the restaurant and I must say compliments to the chef on excellent quality food, which was beautifully presented. Breakfast was buffet style and also very good. The staff were lovely, friendly and polite. Highly recommend.

This was the worst experience any of us had ever had in a hotel, bnb, or even hostel! No hot water, no WiFi, no breakfast and no refund as yet. Hideous.

Radiator in bathroom wasn't working and only part of a shower screen in place. Room was small but that was probably my choice, other bigger rooms might have been available

Decor everywhere was lovely. Food was good.

• Family Room (4 Adults)

I didn't like that the taps have to run for a while before you get hot water to shower etc.

Probably the first family hotel room, worth that name, I have stayed in the UK. The room was spacious as advertised.

Room extremely cold when we arrived but did warm up after turning the radiators (which were off) on. The staff did advise when questioned why there was no hot water that a new boiler is being installed in January so we needed to let the shower run for about 10 mins. We did get hot water but shower head definitely needs updating alone with the boiler as water just about came out!! Breakfast was good the first morning however not much left on the second morning even though we filled out a sheet advising what we would like for breakfast. We had a lovely 4 poster bed but think everyone in the hotel knew when we moved as it creaked soooo loud.

Staff friendly

The hot water could not be described as hot on the first day so lukewarm shower was endured. On second day though this was rectified and by the time of leaving hot water was in evidence

The hotel is ideally located with plenty of car parking. Only a short walk into town centre where you can find food and drink if not wanting to stay in the hotel. A good base for the area.

• Family Room (4 Adults)

Breakfast was buffet - served fresh might have been nicer but no real problem with food. Coffee and tea from flasks wasn't ideal.

Very friendly and helpful staff. Quality food at dinner and excellent welcoming atmosphere.

The location was too far out of town for us to walk to the centre in the limited time we had available. Perhaps 20 minutes each way. We did not mind being asked to choose our fry up breakfast items the night before, but that course arrived while we were still collecting orange juice and tea and making toast (ask for a little delay). Saturday morning was buffet so not such problem.

We had dinner on two nights and the quality was excellent. Unfussy food but perfectly cooked. Very responsive thermostatic radiator valve so we could cool the room somewhat to sleep and warm it quickly on waking up. The bar and spacious dining area appeared to have been recently renovated very attractively.

Only thing was the level of noise coming through to my bedroom from the function room. Normally this wouldn't have been a problem for me - I love a good party too. But I had been travelling from very early morning and by 11pm the noise was just too much. Maybe a little soundproofing would solve that problem.

Food was amazing and wished I had time to try more menu choices. Staff first class, totally professional but extremely friendly too.

It was raining!

The room was clean and cosy. The food was first class and the breakfast was good self service and tasty. All staff were helpful and friendly

• Classic Double Room

The Bed!!! it was terrible we swapped rooms with the other couple who stayed the 2nd night they were not happy with the bed either The mattress needs changing and soon I did not pay all that money to get no sleep

Because the bed was so uncomfortable I didn't sleep well I didn't have an appetite the toast was either animic or burnt the cooked breakfast looked horrible with tinned mushrooms and tomatoes the coffee was terrible and the tea was stewed it's premade and put in flasks disgraceful the money it cost to stay here I would have expected better

Self service breakfast is OK, provided all the items are out - no bacon for 20 mins on the Sunday we stopped Poor shower in room 8

Good evening meal. Comfy beds. Smart bar. Nice staff

• Classic Double Room

Would have liked a hotel directory in the room or an A-Z of facilities at the hotel and the immediate area.

Breakfast was good. Room was clean, tidy and functional.

• Family Room (4 Adults)

Self service breakfast lost its personal touch this time now more intested in getting the customers than one to one with guests

Everything was what I thought it would be as I'd been there last year a mark improvement also isn't the layout

• Family Room (4 Adults)

The room was extremely hot

The staff was very friendly and helpfully . The food in the resturant was lovely . The family room we stayed in was lovely and clean and plenty of room for 4 of us .

• Classic Double Room

Some area's need some TLC - but should sort in time. Last food order is 8:30pm which is a bit early when on Business.

The location is obviously being renovated and you can tell the staff want it to work

I found the bedding a bit too hot. My son was fine with it, though. I'm a bit fussy!

The porridge was excellent, and my son really enjoyed his fried breakfast

A working WC would be great.

The bed was comfortable and the food was lovely. Our main problem was the room and shower room size, The WC was badly in need of a plumber, it took ages for it to flush and steadly got worse. We did report it when we left

• Family Room (4 Adults)

Decor and bathroom suite could do with some uodating.

Myself, my wife and our 5 year old son stayed in a family room, 2 double beds and room was still spacious enough. Room and bathroom were very clean.

• Classic Double Room

Bathrooms small, water pressure average. 4 poster bed squeaks with every little movement and bed hard as a rock, pillows very hard too. Breakfast included but didn't get separate table, sat at table with other guests. Must be a hotel that contractors stay at regularly as there were quite a few staying & had a special menu for them. Bit of a pungent smell in hallway outside room doors

Good sized room, free parking onsite. Breakfast included. Friendly staff. Good value for money.

• Family Room (4 Adults)

Staff were very friendly however the wait time in the restaurant was horrendous, the rooms very very old fashioned and poorly decorated and the shower was horrendous with temperature choices of scolding hot or freezing cold.

Staff were friendly and a good location

Due to early start for an event in which a few customers were participating, breakfast was served from an earlier time than normal. Very thoughtful and appreciated.

Seemed a little disrespectful to the guests to carry out speaker installation in the bar at tea time whilst customers were present.

Good location with friendly staff.

• Reviewed: 15 June 2017

• Classic Double Room

Terrible bed. Four poster that squeaked horribly. Really uncomfortable. Remote for TV didn't work. Shower hot but not powerful Disappointing hotel

Clean and good location

Had to pay for everything separately instead of one bill at the end. Also had to order breakfast the night before!! Finally, big party/disco going on so quite noisy. Probably OK on a "normal" night

Staff friendly & cheerful and a good breakfast

Buffet breakfast on Sunday bit chaotic but the only waitress tried hard . Can I suggest need marmade ( not jam ) for breakfast with

All aspects of hotel acceptable

• Reviewed: 2 June 2017

• Family Room (4 Adults)

There is no lift and my suitcase was extremely heavy to lug up the stairs but no help was offered. There was no hot or warm water to have a shower or a shave, it was stone cold and after travelling all day we had to go out for our tea all sweaty which was quite awful really. In the evening we had a drink at he bar and the few soft chairs to sit on we're taken so we had to sit at the dining tables. The bed was harder than a goats knee. The next day we had an emergency at home and we had to leave forfeiting our last nights stay. My wife sought some recompense but, no chance, in fact they took more than was agreed.

The breakfast was nice. The room was clean.

• Family Room (4 Adults)

Outside door being locked at 10pm - however we were given a key to let ourselves in.

The bedroom was spacious, quiet and very comfortable. We had breakfast which was well presented, ample quantity and good quality

Bar closed at 10pm. Breakfast not served till 8am. Owner very grumpy and not willing to open bar for a drink after our 5 hour drive.. or open half hour earlier for breakfast

• Reviewed: 12 May 2017

• Classic Double Room

Double booked and put into adjoining accommodation. The double bed was 2 beds put together and barely any room that could just open wardrobe door as it rubbed against the bed

The main hotel reception, parking facilities and breakfast.

• Classic Double Room

Staff did not seem interested that we were staying with them (the lady serving breakfast was at least more pleasant and polite). When we left we got little more than a grunt as we handed in the key. There was a very loud disco going on until midnight which meant we got very little sleep.

The location was great for an easy walk into the town centre and there was plenty of onsite parking. Breakfast was tasty although we had to ask for toast which then took a long time to come.

I was ill during the night. I had eaten at the hotel the night before but am not sure if this had caused my sickness. I had to cut my business trip short and return home. I left the hotel early and called out of courtesy later to advise that I wouldn't be wanting breakfast. The owner took the call but when I explained what had happened only enquired whether I had paid, no enquiry into how I was . I am currently I Dumfries, staying at a different hotel.

• Reviewed: 12 April 2017

• Classic Double Room

I could have appreciated a lift however I managed, I don't think it would stop us returning.

The food was so good, staff very friendly and comfortable bed.

• Reviewed: 12 February 2017

• Classic Double Room

The only issue that I had was finishing touches such as paint touch ups and repairing the plastic in the shower but other than that there were no faults that hindered my enjoyment of my stay!

Was very cosy with comfortable furniture and great facilities - loved the peace and quiet!! The staff were wonderful, accommodating to myself leaving early for a competition by making me a packed lunch, couldn't thank them enough! It's very underrated for facilities and food - I will definitely be returning!

• Reviewed: 21 December 2016

• Classic Double Room

We stayed here 2 weeks ago and enjoyed it so much we booked for our last trip. As before everything was excellent, the bed, the quiet, the food, the cleanliness. It is a really lovely place to stay

• Reviewed: 8 December 2016

• Family Room (4 Adults)

The hotel was lovely. The room was beautiful and everything we needed was provided. Very clean & comfortable. The beds were so comfortable. The breakfast could not be faulted, it was piping hot and ready for us two minutes after we sat down. It was delicious

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

Faultless , room was spotless and staff were excellent throughout my stay , would certainly recommend anyone going to Dumfries , and will be back when in the area .

• Reviewed: 17 October 2016

• Classic Double Room

Hotel was spotless. Nice white bedding and towels. Service was great couldn't do enough for you. Had dinner two nights and really enjoyed them. Couldn't fault it.

• Reviewed: 8 October 2016

• Classic Double Room

Being checked in at the bar, very unprofessional. Being asked when checking in to chose breakfast for the following morning. No option at breakfast for vegetarians, some hotels have a separate menu, veggie sausages, bacon, hash brown etc would have all been welcomed. Oh and the very large spider that was in the bathroom!!

Good location, comfortable bed and spacious room. Evening meal was lovely with a good selection.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

• Classic Double Room

Wifi did not work in the room at all :( - I am also still waiting for a copy of my VAT receipt that was not ready in the morning. I was told it would be emailed to me and to date it still has not.

Price was within my usual budget and close to the place I was working at.

• Reviewed: 18 September 2016

• Classic Double Room

room and bathroom could have been cleaner, a few cobwebs etc. Massive door keyring and overall décor was a little dated. Duvets supplied were too heavy for the time of year and the old double glazing was not strong enough to withstand the wind outside so room became very hot and stuffy in the night.

Good sized room

• Reviewed: 5 September 2016

Location, in the middle of a housing estate with no views. Felt "closed in".

Good selection of drinks, breakfast and dinner were very good. Parking safe and plenty of it.

• Reviewed: 18 August 2016

• Classic Double Room

Food wow factor very surprised Hotel more 5 star Everything in the room you couldn't ask for more Staff couldn't be more helpful friendly I'm very very happy with this Hotel Breakfast well fantastic choice I'll be back next year

• Reviewed: 17 July 2016

There was no rail to hang the towels in shower room and smoke drifted up from people smoking outside front door if you had window open

Very good breakfast nicely presented

• Reviewed: 5 July 2016

• Classic Double Room

The mattresses were extremely thin, and you could feel each individual metal coil spring in the bed. There were two beds in the room, and I considered stacking the two mattresses on top of each other to potentially make one comfortable bed.

Very authentic, country B&B feel to it. The breakfast was excellent.

• Classic Double Room

the whole experience was excllent no complaints

Fantastic place to stay

• Classic Double Room

Croissants and pastries not available at breakfast, although this was not a big issue.vv

Ideal location for visiting family.

• Classic Double Room

No interakshon with the guest

Room ok to much money for wot it was

I left my shower gel

All round comfort

• Deluxe Twin Room

Shower in room needs renewed

Food was always piping hot

• Deluxe Twin Room

Restaurant menu very good.meals were delicious.

• Family Room (4 Adults)

Nice clean family room excellent breakfast

• Family Room (4 Adults)

Very friendly staff - breakfast excellent