Reviews of Campanile Swindon 3 stars

#16 of 21 hotels in Swindon

Based on 2079 hotel reviews

4.9

• Reviewed: 15 October 2018

We have stayed here on many occasions and we haven't had a bad stay. Good value for money.

Breakfast was very busy and some items wasn't available.

At the last minute I requested a cot for my granddaughter to stay the night with us and when we arrived everything was ready in our room including the cot all made up. Excellent service and friendly staff.

• Reviewed: 15 October 2018

Good value for money and a pleasant place to stay for a short term .

The lighting.. not all the lights worked.. Without a vehicle the hotel was a bit remote from the shops. I was tired and hungry with a headache and despite me sharing this with the restaurant manager he wouldn't let me sit in a quiet corner of the room despite there being loads of room to do so, and insisted I sat in a noisy busy table amongst lots of other diners. This upset me and I ended up taking the food to my room to eat it.

The receptionist who delt with a very awkward booking muck up on a second night done by another person using my name without me knowing. She handled it well. I really liked the room design with the green metal tree like structure that served me well for drying my washing as well as hanging clothes.

• Reviewed: 15 October 2018

The bed was terrible, got hot so asked for a fan and it was...

The bed was terrible, got hot so asked for a fan and it was small and full of dust! The rooms are so old fashioned needs a serious update! Not good value for money at all and defiantly would not return, the staff are helpful but I didn't even want to go downstairs and eat because I figured if the rooms are in such a bad way then the food mustn't be as good.

• Reviewed: 15 October 2018

Amazing hotel, staff and food. Great location.

Fabulous staff, couldn't do enough to help. They are a credit to the hotel. Rooms very nice and clean. The evening meal was amazing. Freshly cooked, good portions, very good quality. Also good value. Breakfast was very good but it would have been nice to have fruit as an option. The 'full English' is cooked to order and was amazing. Can't fault this hotel and we will definitely be back.

• Reviewed: 14 October 2018

Lots of food places, hotel itself has good food at cheap...

Window didn’t shut properly and u can’t have takeaway in the hotel

Lots of food places, hotel itself has good food at cheap prices, room was tidy and cosy to stay in, really lovely.

• Reviewed: 9 October 2018

Brilliant!!

The whole experience was great the staff were lovely we took our two little dogs with us and they were made very welcome. The room was clean and bright. We had a lovely breakfast too.

• Reviewed: 7 October 2018

Obviously will stay again and have recommended to friends. Very nicely set out areas wellkept.

This was a second stay in Swindon. We wouldn't stay anywhere else. Bed so comfortable, staff extremely friendly and all facilities we needed. Our dog also enjoyed her stay.

• Reviewed: 6 October 2018

Needed a comfortable overnight and this exceeded our expectations.

We were perfectly happy. Actually had pizza and it was excellent. Didn't expect that.

Decor was different and fun. Location was a challenge because we were driving in a very unfamiliar environment. Once settled, it was ideal.

• Reviewed: 6 October 2018

bed comfortable

air fresher/aerosol sprayed in my room , on my bed made me ill - i had a sore throat from it. avoid spraying aerosols on bedding, carpets and upholstery, this was done on day 2. i was ill from it

bed comfortable

• Reviewed: 5 October 2018

*Great location

*Someone else's vomit came up out of sink plughole *Slightly lumpy bed *WiFi not free - bizarre for 21sr century!

*Great location *Room generally clean

• Reviewed: 3 October 2018

Hello there . Thank you for the opportunity for my review of my staying at your hotel. The staff was extreamly welcoming ☆☆☆☆☆ Very clean entrance ,the bar ,the reception ,the restaurant and my room too. The only few things which I'd suggest to be changed or improved would be : 1)the shampoo shouldn't be mixed up with a shower gel 2)providing the hair conditioner 3)the lights in the room should be a bit more bright That would be the only three things I'd improve. All the rest was absolutely amazing. Kind regards A.M.B

• Reviewed: 3 October 2018

Nice service overall from hotel staff

Room small and not clean. I had to request new shower curtain. Bathroom sink not cleaned . And carpets hoovered but still unclean .

Nice service overall from hotel staff

• Reviewed: 1 October 2018

The location was convenient for us.

The first bedroom that we were given had a faulty heating which we complained about and they transferred us to another room. (Not very convinced as receptionist mentioned that no one complained before (although we were almost intoxicated with the burning smell!) The bathroom is a little stained and with some fissures on sink. The WiFi is payed extra. But for the price the conditions are quite reasonable.

The location was convenient for us. Good price short notice. The breakfast was reasonable but there is an option to upgrade to full English breakfast. Free parking on site.

Good enough!

I checked in at 11pm, appreciate maybe the night staff by then but but wasn't informed when (or where) breakfast would be. Also maybe should have been offered a Wi Fi code, as although big sign outside saying it is "offered throughout the hotel" it isn't actually free (unless you booked via their own website) The room was clean, nice hot shower but the carpet in the room had seen better days.

Nice fresh breakfast

• Reviewed: 1 October 2018

Ideal for a two night stay where hotel was being used merely as a place to sleep.

Staff in dining room were not as always available. I had to knock on kitchen door when another customer was waiting to be seated. Situation of the toilet in the bathroom was not good for use by a tall, larger person.

Value for money. Beds were comfortable and lighting was good. Lovely dot find an actual bath in the bathroom.

• Reviewed: 30 September 2018

The room for that rate was fine.

1) Service at the Restaurant was not good ... firstly/constantly ignored, than slow and McD might be better burger choice. The Bar/Restaurant should work as a Team and supporting each other, not blame and shame for single staff member. PS: My highlight was: Making the ordered tea by ourself after 20 min at the CoffeeMachine (used for Breakast), instead of getting served at the table and being ask if we had paid. 2) Use of Internet should be free of charge.

The room for that rate was fine. Parking space available.

• Reviewed: 30 September 2018

Terrible.

There was nothing I liked. They think it is a good idea to have the smoking area surrounding the door of the property. It is intimidating to walk through crowds of contractors, not to me nation having to go through plumes of smoke. Could not open bedroom window as smoke cams through window. Paid WiFi which did not work, although Virgin have refunded. Bedroom carpet stained badly and bathroom in need of update. £119 without breakfast was a joke!!

• Reviewed: 29 September 2018

it was adaquate for my needs

interior paint could have been better in bathroom. paint flaking off walls and what would appear to be the start of mould on the ceiling above bath/shower. extractor fan needs to be stronger.

bed was comfy

• Reviewed: 28 September 2018

Quality bed.

A pleasant room but work still in progress - grout wash still on walls in the bathroom, plinths missing and kitchen not completely finished. Otherwise the potential to be above average

Quality bed. Quiet room on third floor.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2018

Accommodation good but let down by the poor breakfast experience.

Breakfast. I asked for cooked breakfast with scrambled egg which was very dry, grey and unpalatable as if it was over done or left standing for quite a while after being prepared. This put me off the rest of the meal. The serving staff were apologetic and kindly had two poached eggs prepared for me.

Staff very pleasant.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2018

More or less as expected, but previously acceptable to good restaurant is no longer so.

Continental breakfast is not as good as it was on previous visits. The "full English" breakfast, (which I admit I did not have), looked very poor value. Indeed guests sitting near me were vocal on the matter.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2018

Clean and tidy - fine for my stay.

The windows were noisy when it was raining outside. And the pillows were a little flat with not much support

The location - close to family I was visiting

• Reviewed: 25 September 2018

Basic but worth it with discount for an overnight stay. Eat before you get there though!

Was left waiting at check out while the receptionist was chatting and smoking out the front. Bathroom shower was awful and mouldy. Barely a dribble from it. Food very standard and over priced. Basic but only worth it if you’re not paying full price.

Great at check in and was very helpful. Bedroom had facilities that were ok.

• Reviewed: 25 September 2018

Clean, dog friendly with convenient facilities and friendly staff.

Seating in the bar wasn't particularly comfortable. Seating options were limited and less than ideal when we ate at the hotel as we had our dog with us. The pillows on the bed were quite thin and there was only one spare for two people. The TV was boxed in preventing me watching my own source. To get the meal deal you have to specify whether you want two or three courses at the point of ordering and we were told we couldn't change our minds! I've never known a restaurant were you couldn't have the starter and main, and then decide whether or not to have dessert! It also puts the staff in a catch 22 situation if anyone says (as I did) that they don't know if they'll be hungry enough for desert because they don't know how big the mains are. What are they going to say? If they say the the portions are big and filling they are effectively saying not to order dessert, if express any confidence that the customer will want dessert then they are telling the customer that the meal isn't filling! As it happens we went for two courses and found we could have happily eaten dessert, but we didn't as we couldn't add it to the deal.

Fantastic warm welcome from the young lady on reception when I checked in, every time I saw her over the weekend she was really friendly and helpful. The dog-friendliness was great and one of the main reasons we chose you. The room was nice and clean, and the bed was comfortable. Plenty of well laid out parking. Good wifi signal and speed. Everything was convenient, I was there for work, long days over a weekend, so I was very pleased to have a bar and decent food available in the hotel and to not have to worry about finding parking or being blocked in.

The price, location, and breakfast

Smoking outside the main door entrance and you have to pay for the wifi shame you couldnt do 2 hours free then pay i know its only a couple of quid for 24 hours.

The price, location, and breakfast

Disappointed that we were unable to book the restaurant for...

Disappointed that we were unable to book the restaurant for an evening meal until late as there was a large conference party dining. This was not explained to us when we checked in. Had to go into town to eat, but plenty of good places to eat in Swindon.

• Reviewed: 22 September 2018

Fairly good experience, except for bed position.

The disabled room bed was large, but due to size one side pushed against the wall. Difficult for one of the persons to get out of bed in the night to use the toilet. Use a smaller bed, which would allow this.

Price and location near to m4.

Ideal property for an overnight stay at reasonable cost

Breakfast time on t5he Sunday morning. There was a coach party there with about 50 people taking over the breakfast room. As a result service was poor with no cups left and food supplies needing replenishment. The staff were trying their best but from what I saw some of the coach party were filling their bags with food to take away.

Room was as expected, comfortable andmet all requirements for overnight stays.

Comfortable, value for money - we will return!

Cannot think of anything!

Our requirements were matched exactly - room on ground floor, away from traffic noise, accessible shower. Were extremely impressed by the helpful and friendly staff. All went out of their way to help.

Very friendly staff very clean and tidy anything we needed like a fan for our room we got given straight away couldnt ask for any better excellent accomodation for the price

Basic Hotel

Bed was soft, only one pillow, and we were kept awake much of the night by people outside using neighbouring roads as a racetrack...lots of souped up engines and screeching tyres. Plus other residents were noisy.

Room was clean and price was cheap.

Wonderful bed.

Room was very hot.

Wonderful bed. Very comfortable. Breakfast was very good value and served in pleasant surroundings. Everything very clean and modern. Good value over all.

Good for a night

No wifi. I paid (the cheapest available) over £13 for wifi as it’s not included and drops out. It should be standard. No soap. Breakfast set menu - can’t change, not allergy friendly

Well signed and easy to locate, great parking facilities, late check in available, comfortable bed

Staff friendly, room lovely and clean very close to town

I thought the breakfast was Pricy £6 for continental Around £8/9 for cooked breakfast

Staff friendly, room lovely and clean very close to town About 10 minutes drive

Wouldn’t Stay Again

Rooms were far too hot and the window barely opened to cool the room down - no air conditioning available. Very uncomfortable in the room and had little sleep.

Friendly staff, reasonably priced, not far from the motorway.

Good value budget accommodation.

Smokers constantly hanging about the hotel entrance.

Glad to see the china drinks mugs have returned to the rooms after we complained about the disposal cups on our last stay! Our elderly dog is always made welcome when we stay here.

Answered my needs of a budget hotel whilst travelling.

Answered my needs of a budget hotel whilst travelling. Booked in quickly, had a meal everything I could expect from this type of accomadation. There were plenty of car parking spaces.

Double charged by Booking.

Double charged by Booking.com and by Campanile Swindon for the same room. Campanile claim their systems are down and don't know when they'll be up. Unacceptable customer service from Booking.com and Campanile Swindon. Still waiting for refund 2 weeks after stay.

Happy with stay

Redictious internet charge of over £8 for 24 hours use.

Dog friendly, reasonable charge. Requested a quite room and lady on the desk was happy to help. Very friendly lady, very welcoming. Proper cups and spoons for tea/coffee, much better than other of chain stayed in that only gave a single use paper cup and a tiny wooden stick for a spoon. Had area you could dine with dog present too. Had a relaxing stay.

The free parking

The pubic hair we found in our bed, bathroom and on the toilet seat! The pillows might as well have just been a case. Not only this they tried to charge me twice for the room as the hadn’t been checking with Booking.com on payments. We just couldn’t believe you could charge £55 a room when a hostel would have been nicer!

The free parking

• Reviewed: 8 September 2018

There was drunk people outside the hotel with hot were...

There was drunk people outside the hotel with hot were shouting, which started at 03.30. They threatened to beat up the hotel night staff because they could not book a room at that time in the morning..and refused to leave the carpark.. Shouting went on for over an hour until police arrived to move them on which was 04.45..

• Reviewed: 8 September 2018

Stay here whenever in the area

When we arrived they had no record of our booking. (Booking. Com) Staff dealt with it efficiently. But we had to go upstairs with the dog

Convenient, inexpensive. Rooms are small but perfectly adequate for a short stay. Breakfast is lovely, freshly cooked to order. Staff friendly and helpful.

Ak

The evening meal of fish and chips i had was very dry ie over cooked and for 10 pounds 50p you would expect better.

Easy excess to M4 and M5. Close to town centre and places I wanted to visit. Breakfast was well worth the money.

• Reviewed: 5 September 2018

I was happy with the stay just think I should get a free stay as I go there a lot of the Romen x

Nothing I didn’t like Wes happy with everything just think I should get a free stay as I’m all way staying at that hotle

I like everything bout it and I like going to thy hotle and like we’re the time u have to cheak out is late and would like it we’re I all ways go there should have a free stay at the hotle

Great hotel for one night or a few very friendly place to stay .

Lovely 2 night stay here food was served hot & fast , Would recomend this hotel to anyone wanting eerything you need !🤗

Everything staff were super lovely !

It was ok and the room was a bit small but the bed was very comfort and value for money

At the bar didn't have peanuts and the plug in the bath didn't work and found hair on the side wasn't happy with that

Had my favourite drink at the bar

Really happy. It was a great value experience.

The breakfast could have offered a better selection of cold meat and cheese. Cheddar and ham was a little bit of a poor selection for a continental hotel.

Staff were great, the room was clean and comfortable and there was a nice continental feel to the place.

• Reviewed: 1 September 2018

Everything was amazing

The waiter he asked weather we would like any sauce and left us waiting over 20 min for it them we went to kitchen to ask as was fed up of waiting so then brekfast was cold . He had been asked about 5 times before we had to get it our self

Nice rooms friendly staff comfy beds

• Reviewed: 30 August 2018

Clean,tidy,good staff, nice meal

Situated on a retail/industrial park,boiling hot in the room with no air con,but stuff did provide a fan to assist

Clean,tidy,good staff, nice meal

A good place

Car parking a bit limited for 7m long Luton van, but no real problem.

Staff were friendly and helpful. This was a relaxing place to stay after a long drive.

Staff was nice, room was tiny but didn't need bigger.

Staff was nice, room was tiny but didn't need bigger. It was clean and nice (smelled good-which I had never realised before in different accomodations🙂)

Okay ish

No hand towels and not enough pillows in room. No bath mat,you have to ask from reception if you need one. Nowhere to keep toothbrush in the bathroom. Tiny towel rail right by the toilet. And also wifi is only free if you book directly with them

Friendly staff. Good check out time

Terrible....

Dirty room, stains on bed throw and cushions, stains on floor, hair in bed linen, spider crawling among bedding, smokers right outside main door, all smoke in reception, no soap in basin holder, lumpy pillows, generally very poor condition.Booked for 2 nights, stayed elsewhere the 2nd and cancelled Campanile, will not stay again and would not recommend.

The food was excellent .

We had a disabled room the matress not good a all and the door to room that should be a fire door big gap under it which let the passage light in.

The food was excellent .even continental breakfast was excellent and included in the price.

Small rooms but very neat, clean and tidy.

Small rooms but very neat, clean and tidy. The bar was very pleasant and the breakfast was excellent value for money with a great range of items on the buffet.

Can't really fault this hotel

I have stayed here many times in the past,it is great value for money well situated especially for the M$ always clean with courteous staff, couldn't fault it

Comfor table. Clean and safe

On one visit i stayed in the room for people with disabilities as my disabled husband was with me. In this room the shower badly needs refurbishing and the room is not very well arranged.

I visit Swindon frequently to visit family and always stay at The Campanile because it is close and as a woman on my own I feel safe. It meets all my needs and the staff are always friendly and welcoming.

Good reasonably priced accommodation. Perfectly adequate for a night's stay.

Disappointed that no hand towel was provided (only shower towels). We are were told this was company policy. Ordered coffee at the bar but it was the same as was provided in the room, so not worth it!

The room was modern in style and perfectly adequate. The bed was wide and very comfortable. Very useful to have the restaurant on site which provided a very enjoyable and reasonably priced meal.

Disappionting

On arrival was told that Continental breakfast was not included in price even though it stated it was. Staff said it was Booking.com fault, Food very poor, accommodation bed uncomfortable.

easy to find and parking, The restaurant was spacious clean and tidy. Staff very helpful quick to sort out any problems.

A convenient place for our planned activity. We stay here frequently.

I t would be nice if there were two chairs in a double room although I appreciate that there is little spare room.

Very good curries served in the restaurant on the Thursday .

• Reviewed: 10 August 2018

Used to be ok place to stay, now in very poor condition.

Used to be ok place to stay, now in very poor condition. First room had a broken shower, given a noisy and pretty useless fan to use. No wifi available for free which is pretty ridiculous in this day and age. All very aged and a bit smelly! Parking ok, pin on google maps takes you the wrong route though!

• Reviewed: 10 August 2018

Amazing service - you can’t expect more from a hotel!

Can’t really find any downsides to that hotel. Maybe that it’s a bit away from town centre.

Amazing service - you can’t expect more from a hotel! Very comfortable bed, room pristine clean. Large car park. Nice food in restaurant.

• Reviewed: 8 August 2018

Good & Bad

Our rooms weren’t as good. Room 12 the window wouldn’t shut so we had to move room. Also room 17 didn’t have a window lock so couldn’t leave window open at all. Plus very hot in room didn’t help.

Staff were friendly & helpful. I usually love the place.

• Reviewed: 8 August 2018

Ok, not as good as the last time we stayed

Being told they would be shutting the restaurant from 19.30 to about 21.00 because they had a big party coming in and they would be served first. So we got to restaurant at 19.15 placed our order but told we could have our starters but please be patient for the main it might take an hour, the other party wasn't even sat down!! I said I wasn't happy to wait so they did get our mains out first. As a paying guest who they knew was staying a week in advance, I felt that service was poor, an email in advance could have warned us so we could eat else where or we could cancel our booking.

Clean and comfortable

Good value for money, safe and conveniient.

its a hot summer and no air conditioning seems old fashioned even in a value chain. Also, toilet roll holder was loose on wall and fell off. This seemed an old fault and even if no-one reported it cleaning staff should have noticed.

Very good value for money. Continental breakfast good value and good quality. Staff friendly and helpful.

Wifiis charged if booking through booking.

Wifiis charged if booking through booking.com. Free if you book direct. Only outside area to sit on a warm Summer evening is smoking area with broken pots and dead plants

The staff were really friendly and the hotel is in a great...

There is no air conditioning in the room so we could not sleep. The beds are not comfortable at all. No fridge in the room and they gave us only one towel.

The staff were really friendly and the hotel is in a great location if you are driving.

• Reviewed: 4 August 2018

Staff service was great and meals were excellent.

No air conditioning in rooms. Free WiFi only available if you book with them direct, not available if booking via Booking. Com.

Staff service was great and meals were excellent.

The breakfast waiter didn't welcome us or show us to a...

The breakfast waiter didn't welcome us or show us to a table. There were empty glasses of juice on the breakfast counter! All other staff were pleasant. Needs air con!!

Angry staff - tough getting car back! Great shower!

Day 1 and check in, the staff were good. Organised. On return from airport to pick up my car, I waited 20 mins on the right bus stop then shifted to a number 8, as the lady mentioned a number 8... as I shifted, I saw the driver pass the bus stops... not very slowly, and I was flashing a torch at him to get his attention... nothing. I called the Reception lady who was quite angry with the world at this point ( it was no hassle from my end... it was my own fault for moving... But she was furious ) I waited another 15 mins for him to come back around, called again and the angry lady said he would be another 15-20 mins... I got an Uber! ( still no issue from my end ) When I arrived and spoke to the lady behind the desk, and I asked for my car keys... gave her my details... She replied... "you sure you have the right hotel?" Not exactly the response I was looking for?! After a 12hr travel day! Yes I replied... "unless I slipped into an alternative universe on Thursday night?" She then, angrily and confused looking , started throwing keys out of boxes to try and find my keys! As well as looking for me on a computer system where I never existed apparently?!? This was all still ok... not a problem. Then she said, I have found you, it says 20/07... so you owe us £6 per night for the parking you have had ( it's the 22nd now ) I had already paid for parking. I checked in on the 20th... departed in the 22nd... she seemed incredibly confused again... and very angry... She said "I don't think your car is here???" Then a colleague came in and said it may have been moved... this started getting me a little worried, as when I checked in I told the guy at Reception where I had parked, and he said that "it's fine there!" We eventually found my car keys... so I went to get my car... it's not in the car park... anywhere! And the car park is now incredibly full! So I walked back and told the lady....

Be careful if parking here! Great shower tho!

July 2018

The room itself was very small and basic, however with the recent weather and the room being warm, the only window opened so those sitting at the outside bar could see in along with the cars that were parked outside of the window.... Not the best.

Very dog friendly and the staff were extremly helpful and polite; day OR night.

Did not expect to be in a middle of an industrial estate and technically a MOTEL

The rooms were hot, the shower was connected to the bath taps and the bedroom should have been refurbished with better furniture IKEA does not suit the extravagant prices. Feel that they took advantageous of the Air show and overcharged would not recommend this hotel to anyone. Was informed by staff that if I booked on the day of stay it would have cost £280 which is laughable as paying £99 was overpriced and pre-booked November 2017

The bar was reasonably priced for an hotel

Expected more for my money

My room could do with a fresh lick of white paint The advert says fill up on a full English breakfast given you the impression it was a buffet style far from it precooked slightly dry breakfast not very good

My review has no reflection on the staff staff were hard-working and friendly

Happy if hot stay

Not the staffs fault at all but all rooms ridiculously hot, surprised no A/C but reception had fans thankfully.

The whole visit as the staff were nice, friendly and helpful The place was very clean too and breakfast plentiful.

Could be better, but was a good time

Beds weren’t made good plus pillows didn’t smell clean. Shower wasn’t very powerful it kept changing temperature too which was annoying.

Tv, drinks and bathroom.