Reviews of The New Dundee Carlton Hotel 3 stars

5.3

5.9

• Reviewed: 7 October 2018

Rubbish

The only time we saw anyone was to book in, my mum locked her key in her room and it to neumerous phone calls to get anyone , we left key on reception , it felt like the hotel and it visitors were afterthoughts, it was room only and there was no where to get breakfast , the owners were no help at all .

• Reviewed: 6 October 2018

3.0
    Worse stay ever - I wouldn't stay here for free, but since I paid I stayed, but honestly should have

Everything.

I never book without checking a few reviews, had I, I would have never booked. This place is worse then the reviews reveal unless you are already living in filth. I had to clean the bathroom myself. There is no positive that can be added here.

• Reviewed: 27 September 2018

This was a horrible experience, I would not recommend this hotel to anyone

The place is very run down and dirty. There was no option to have breakfast. The stairs were dangerous, not flat but sloping so that we felt like we were going to fall backwards when climbing, likewise a section very tricky to come down. The toilet smelled and everywhere was just not clean. The price was £65. I would barely expect to pay £35 for this, but there are number of health and safety issues

There is nothing positive I could say about this property. I did receive a call from the temporary staff manning the desk to ask when we would arrive, but this was because she wanted to go out. At least that was thoughtful not just to be not there when we arrived.

Faded Dundee Hotel
    • Double Room with Shower

I would like to see some more pictures on the walls, perhaps old maps of the area, a history of the hotel.

The hotel is a little run down but the new owners are working to improve the facilities. The price is very competitive and staff are very friendly and enthusiastic. The parking in front of the hotel is convenient and there is on road parking as well.

Barely budget hotel

The pictures online Do not represent the hotel to be honest it's a little dated The Wi-Fi was useless The tv kept freezing The shower was limp and the screen did not stop the water going everywhere even if you had it pointing down the floor was sailing!

Bed was really comfy and it was really close for everything that was Dundee.

Disappointed

The owner and the lady in the bar were fine but the room was dated, needed a good clean. The beds were uncomfortable, pillows were thin, the duvets were awful and the bathroom en suite was tiny and needed cleaning and updating. At £100 a night room only it was definitely over priced. The whole place needs gutting and refitting. We were let down by our original accommodation and this was all we could get. Would not book this place again. The pictures of the hotel are misleading. Our weekend trip was spoilt.

Worse experience so far with booking . Com
    • Superior Quadruple Room

I already tell you before. All of our family backs were aching this morning and whole day.

There was nothing to like. This was our worse experience with booking . Com. I have been staying hotels you advertise for last few years but I hand never been to a hotel like this. The room was too dirty. The beds and mattresses were in their worse shape. The carpet was too old. The leather sofas was very old and rotten. The towels were smelly. The toilet sink was blocked. The shower was not working properly. Booking . Com should not compromise on it’s quality. I mean I am staying in this craigmonie hotel Inverness tonite. Best hotel and on the other hand that was the worse one. So please don’t send your costumers there any more or send somebody fromyour company for a visit. Regards

Hotel from hell

Was unappealing from the moment we drove up to it. Weeds in flower pots by the entrance. Litter and broken chairs at the seating area at the front. Very untidy gardens. Rickety loose handrails at front door. Dirty dingy reception area and worse the further into property we got. Would never stay here again. Was filthy.

Nothing to like about this property

The young boy that was running the place was friendly.

The room we stayed in had dust that had probably gathered for a month, there were 3/4 used and 1/2 used toilet rolls lying on the floor and shelf. There was a mens dove shower gel lying in the shower which clearly hadnt been cleaned and we were told to leave the shower on the floor as if we stood it up it would start leaking, i dont think the carpet had been introduced to a hoover either as there were a pair of socks lying under the bed that didnt belong to us. I definately wont be back here to stay. I felt sorry for the young boy that was cleaning the rooms / running a reception / being a chef, that is the only reason i never complained.

The young boy that was running the place was friendly.

I would rather have paid an extra £40 to stay in the premier in closer to the city centre.
    • Superior King Room with River View

The river view rooms have a busy 4 lane traffic road do very noisy. The standards are very poor. Wall paper peeling on the walls, the bath panel all came apart while running the bath. The windows were rally dirty and bedside table had not been dusted in a while. They state to have B&B but they don’t serve breakfast at all.

It was close to the city centre

It was novel As I have a sense of humour but we won't be back!

Email from owner day prior to arrival saying that payment preferred was cash on arrival and 2.8% surcharge for credit card. I refused to pay receptionist cash or let him use credit card details in system on arrival, stating surcharge not lawful and I would pay by debit card when leaving, as I was discouraged by ambience on arrival. Were barely in our room when receptionist returned - owner of hotel on mobile and asked why we hadn't paid on arrival! I have never experienced anything like it. He then said that there was no surcharge if I paid by credit card and I did so to keep the peace. The place is extremely tired and in urgent need of improvement.

Room only as hotel being refurbished so can't comment on food. Very few staff but as helpful as could be, provided extra little milks, much appreciated. Kettle, iron and ironing board provided in the room.

Our 11th wedding anniversary and my birthday destroyed by complete dump of hitel

Explained to owner i wanted a refund said no chance you didnt book through hotel see booking.com

This hotel is filthy disgusting shocking that booking.com has it on the site.hotel isnt staffed during the night however doors are open so anyone can get in so worrying for theft and firestarters.no one there to book you out in morning just a nitice saying leave key here.my husband sometimes contracts away from home he said if boss out him in something like that dump it would be last day working for them

Dusty dive
    • Superior King Room with River View

Dust everywhere in the room including the cups and kettle. Pillows were paper thin. Toilet made really loud noise after it had been flushed and seemed to back wash into the bath slightly. The tv had no reception and when it did it lasted for around ten mins. The room was suppose to be river view and you could see anything because of the dirt on the window and the massive trees across the road. Should not he advertised as river view in my opinion!

The wifi was free

Enjoyable, relaxing, cosy stay with everything you need and we had an Excellent sleep.
    • Deluxe Quadruple Room

There was no lifts and quite a lot of stairs.

Beds were extremely comfortable & cosy, the family suite has everything you need and is so spacious. The owner couldn’t have been more attentive nothing was a bother. Definitely will go back to stay with the children

Booked it last minute while working up here, staff were...

Booked it last minute while working up here, staff were excellent with us and couldn’t have done anymore. Great friendly place and owner was great! Would have been better if we found out about it before the last week of work 👍

It was easy to get to and
    • Superior Quadruple Room

The bathroom was useless. The door did not close properly and the shower was hopeless as it did not fit on the rail like it was supposed to. The TV was too far away from the bed at the other side of the room.

It was easy to get to and

Great staff, couldn’t have been more accommodating
    • Deluxe Quadruple Room

One of the blinds on the window didn’t work

The staff were so lovely which made the experience so much better. More than happy to put me up for an extra night with a couple of hours notice

Yo get what you pay for

Hotel is very run down, shower was a disgrace all covered in mould etc! Needs cleaned!!

Cheap accommodation ideally located for an event I was attending! Good off street parking!

Staff are exceptional and made my stay what it was. This will now be my go-to hotel when I travel.

The place was pretty quiet but being January can understand. Place has a lot of business potential with the space they have, ie birthday parties, theme nights etc

I loved the personal customer service from the staff, all very approachable. One member of staff suggested I leave the car in car park after check out due to extreme weather coming and I am glad I did.

Had a great sleep, will visit again
    • Double Room with Shower

Not really a problem or a complaint: the restaurant was not open when i stayed (new years), would have loved to try it but maybe next time!

Absolutely lovely room, recently done up by the looks and feel of it. Loved the view of the docks. Plenty of parking and easy to find. Was given a later check out which made all the difference to my trip.

would not advise another visit mould in bathroom and freezing cold shower first thing

shower did not work on hot even after leaving on for half an hour to try heat up mould around almost every part of the bathroom bedsheets felt like paper beds creaked everytime you moved waking you from the sleep noone at front desk when checking in noone at front desk when leaving not much shown to us when room was shown to us

Great for a last minute stay & pleasantly enjoyed our evening meal.
    • Superior King Room with River View

Sat Nav took us to the street behind the hotel - not the hotels fault.

Decor of the room and size was great. Tea making facilities available. Discount for hotel guests at the attached Malaysian restaurant. Proprietor is attentive. Short drive to Broughty Ferry. Asda & Aldi near by.

The hotel is under refurbishment, the bar / restaurant...
    • Superior Twin Room

The rooms are a little dated but are clean and will be getting renovated, a bit of patience while the refurbishment work is being completed is something I can live with.

The hotel is under refurbishment, the bar / restaurant is complete and is fantastic, modern and the food is good.

Room was basic but it was clean

Security was very poor and the building was musty, could be to do with renovations but still musty

Room was basic but it was clean The wifi was good strength, I've been in top hotels with poor wifi in the rooms

Needs TLC
    • Superior King Room with River View

The place is getting renovated. However meantime it looks unkempt. Front garden a mess. Just cut the grass!? Also first thing you see is a room on right full of chairs piled up. Bad first impression.

Staff good. Location decent. Room large and bed comfy

this was great value for money and although basic it was...
    • Superior Quadruple Room

this was a budget price and probably was in that category although owner did say that he was going to refurb in near future.

this was great value for money and although basic it was perfect for our needs - the staff were really friendly

bed comfortable, pillows good, fairly clean

poor condition decor, paper thin walls, very noisy, no telephone to reception, reception not manned, payment on arrival, not good value for money, worth about 50% of price. Bathroom okay but poorly stocked, no shower gel or shampoos.

bed comfortable, pillows good, fairly clean

Updates needed.
    • Double Room with Shower

Room needs to be updated, the bathroom facilities were small and tight. The kettle didn't fit under the tap. The blind had holes and no cord to pull open or closed. Needs updating.

Staff pleasant, out side looks good. Cheap room rate.

Never again!
    • Double Room with Shower

Nothing like what was advertised! I cried it was so bad! car park advertised was under construction, no license for the restaurant and pots of paint, dust sheets etc all over, hotel was having a refurb, appreciated that, but should have been closed until finished. Rooms were not clean, carpets were dirty, holes in the walls, shower was filthy, sorry but i would not recommend.

Bed was comfy and bedding was clean

I would stay there again and would recommend it to friends and family.
    • Double Room with Shower

No comments as it was just taken over by a new management who were working very hard to get the place looking great.

We were upgraded to a bigger room which had a very comfortable bed, clean room and nice big bathroom. We were quite delighted to try the Penang cuisine which was personally catered for by a Malaysian from Penang. The customer service was good and staff friendly and very helpful.

Clean and cheap, but poor facilities.

Reception was not well staffed - I had to ring a mobile number to get attention. Restaurant was being refurbished and so was out of action. TV was on the blink.

Never again.
    • Superior Twin Room

blinds didn't fit windows big lights buzzed when in use the room was dusty the tv was not connected to an ariel and therefore didn't work the windows were not secured into place and therefore whistled in the wind.

• Reviewed: 20 August 2017

The cost of the room and the location was what I was looking...

A new mattress was needed. The room was 'tired' but acceptable for the price.

The cost of the room and the location was what I was looking for. Good enough value and surprisingly quiet at the back of the property.

An extremely disheartening experience in an otherwise lovely holiday

This property is extremely dirty from the entranceway to the rooms. The stairs and hallway are unsafe, the bed linens were unclean, the mattress little more than a thin foam slab and the bathrooms were grimy and mould-covered.

Absolutely nothing to recommend this property. If the Dundee Tourism Board was to review/inspect this property, I would expect they would revoke any applicable licences offering tourist accommodation.

Low point of our trip. Booking.com should vet these hotels. They are destroying your reputation
    • Superior Quadruple Room

Hotel was undergoing refurbishment. Was dirty with tired facilities. Windows were duct taped shut. No soap. Carpets dirty. No lift. It was difficult for my 80 year old mother to get up the steep stairs.Photos on website bore NO resemblance to reality.No bar, no lounge area, no welcoming reception. Empty beer bottles and fag ends at front of property.

• Superior Quadruple Room

Didn't like the room in general wasn't clean no handle on bathroom door gaffa tape on Window 6 year old cut her leg on nail or sumfin share at back of sofa no breakfast Even low it was stated at time of booking

Expensive for what it is

Not really walking distance to city. Looks to be under construction. Not very clean, only "surface clean" ie clean sheets and hoovering done but skirtings dirty and table dusty etc Not great. Rooms are nicer than you will expect them to be based on first impression. No breakfast available. Bar restaurant not in use.

This property was close to where we had to be (friends house in residential area)

St Andrews
    • Superior Quadruple Room

The staff what we saw of them were very nice, but I found it a bit strange that no-one was there to check us out in the morning. I was told just to leave the room keys on the r3ception desk.

The room was a good size.

Good value for money think it will be improved once they have finished working on it
    • Superior King Room with River View

Not enough coffee/milk for the morning. We were meant to have a river view however there was only a view of the trees in front of the river so slightly misleading. We thought this hotel was getting renovated as there was paint pots and the bar/dining area was not accessible. There needs to be better signposting as we drove past the hotel twice looking for it.

The bed was comfy and the room was nice.Would go again once the work being done has been completed.good value for money.stayed in the superior king room. Staff were nice.

Spacious room for me and kids.
    • Superior Quadruple Room

Doors couldve locked from inside. Didnt feel safe with them not locking properly. No breakfast with the amount i paid for the room. Room advertised as £70. But added £15 VAT wasnt impressed

Spacious room for me and kids. Bathroom was lovely

Unacceptable. Not recommended.

When I made the reservation I should have been informed that breakfast would not be provided and that the cable TV was not working. This is simply unacceptable. The reception desk was never manned. Arriving guests are required to phone a mobile number.

Enjoyable stay in a nice hotel 😎
    • Double Room with Shower

Restaurant still under development so had to go to city centre to eat, not for those that find it difficult with stairs

Staff, room helpful and really nice, bus service on door step to get to city center, good parking. Room nice and clean, with shower really comfortable bed like the room a lot. Considering next to main road very quite

Wait for the renewal - if there will be any (at least don't take room #2)
    • Superior King Room with River View

Going into detail, I found a lot of dirty and ugly details. Construction behind the toilet was broken, load street noise through the bathroom window, towels did not seem to be clean.

Big room, pretty nice at the first look, huge bathroom. Very friendly welcome at the reception.

The member of staff I dealt with was very helpful as I...

The member of staff I dealt with was very helpful as I missed check in. He went out of his way to get in contact and make my stay as helpful as possible.

A comfortable night
    • Superior King Room with River View

It wasnt clear from the booking app that the restaurant was closed so there was no breakfast included but the price remained the same. The tv had few stations and the view wasn't really as advertised.

The bed was comfortable. The bathroom was nice and big and roomy. The shower was good. The receptionist was helpful.

Good value for money

Room was OK, bit tired, but they are in the process of renovating the hotel. Restaurant was closed for renovation. I'll definitely stay again as back in Dundee in a few weeks - and hopefully restaurant will be open..

3.5
    Never again
    • Superior King Room with River View

Upon arrival we had to ring a number as there was no one on reception. He came downstairs with gloves still on as though he had been cleaning toilets. Room was not clean window sill was black window in bathroom would not close. No breakfast on offer and no bar facilities. To me it should not be a hotel wil niver stay here again extremely disappointed its disgusting and the room smelled of sick.

• Reviewed: 2 June 2017

Wait until renovations are complete

There was no attempt from the hotel on Booking.com to explain that there wouldn't be any breakfast available.We were none the wiser and had to go and catch a bus to find a cafe. A lot of door banging around 6 am repeatedly for an hour or so. When the restaurant is finished they would be a good option but no attempt was made to warn us.

Reasonably clean. Room was adequate. Wifi good

• Reviewed: 25 May 2017

POOR!

Quite poor all round and to add insult to injury we were charged twice; after contacting the hotel and told we would hear by the end of the day about our refund we have heard nothing yet!

• Reviewed: 20 May 2017

Cheap, and at best 1 star .....not worth for vacation, just about ok for overnight sleep.

The Hotel had not advertised properly that it was being renovated, but very haphazardly. So no breakfast or meals available. New Paintwork was extremely poor. New and old furnishings mixed up. None of the usual modern hotel features were working - eg using yale lock on room doors when they had a card system on the door - but not working . Walls and stairs worst I have seen for a long time. Owners obviously not around to oversee renovation or dont have the budget to make the best of it

Good location . comfortable bed and a good water supply, but nothing more.

• Reviewed: 14 May 2017

Slept well competitive price well done

The property is in the middle of being renovated but it did not affect the room itself

Everything you could want was there the bed was comfy and that means a lot and the manager friendly

• Reviewed: 12 May 2017

Ideal for workmen working away from home as long as you don't mind not having breakfast
    • Double Room with Bath

It was obviously a run down b&b that has been refurbished very cheaply, it has no breakfast even if you wanted to pay extra

Would class it as very basic, not somewhere I would go back too

Need a car for this one or use taxis
    • Superior King Room with River View

Under remodeling, will eventually have a restaurant and bar. Buses were hard to understand and ecoensive

Big spacious room and bathroom, big windows facing waterfront

• Reviewed: 20 April 2017

could do better for the money paid elsewhere....sorry!
    • Double Room with Shower

room was very small, needs redecorating throughout, blind needs replacing, amateur decorating, tiny basin with a powerful tap (not a good combination)......extremely noisy toilet system and toilet seat not fixed properly. good powerful shower but in a tiny shower cubicle and shower room

the bed was comfy......powerful easily used dismountable shower....staff were helpful and welcoming. lots of parking space...nice view from front of hotel

• Reviewed: 14 April 2017

Cheap and cheerful
    • Double Room with Bath

One of the lights by the bed was broken. There was no stopper in the washbasin. There was no breakfast available as the restaurant was closed.

There was plenty of space. There were facilities for making a drink and a small refrigerator.

• Reviewed: 12 February 2017

Carlton hotel is closed for renovations
    • Double Room with Bath

The hotel was closed for renovations

The carlton hotel was shut and we had to stay across the road at a guest house.luckily the stay at the guest house was a good one.

• Reviewed: 14 January 2017

Unbelievably poor Rooming house. Not a hotel by any stretch of the imagination.
    • Double Room with Shower

The lack of Security,eg, a front door that didn't lock. Lack of even basic customer service. Lack of information regarding local eateries.

No food available,no staff available.

• Reviewed: 30 December 2016

Good value
    • Double Room with Bath

Bedroom had a slight smell to it and the walls between bedrooms were paper-thin. I could hear what was being said in the next bedroom at 4 am.

Comfortable bed. Good parking. Helpful, pleasant staff.

• Reviewed: 5 December 2016

beds were comfy
    • Double Room with Shower

there were holes in the walls, heater wasn't working and interent wasn't working ! plus every time you flushed the toilet it made a weird noise!

beds were comfy

• Reviewed: 22 November 2016

Cheap
    • Double Room with Bath

No breakfast available even though we had booked it. The hotel looks run down and basic fixtures where broken and in need of repair.

Very cheap comfortable room

• Reviewed: 11 November 2016

No staff and no attention!
    • Double Room with Shower

Reception was ALWAYS empty, with no way to contact the staff! The WiFi didn't work in my floor, so I had to be on the second floor stairs to check my mails. And although there was a cafeteria prepared for breakfast in the hotel, no breakfast option was given.

The room was really big, with a huge bed and a decent bathroom. The stay was comfortable.

• Reviewed: 3 November 2016

Dreadful
    • Superior King Room with River View

No one was there to meet us when we arrived just the key and a piece of paper saying my name. The blind was too short for window so I had to trap a towel in the window to get privacy in the bedroom. Chair was broken. Chewing gum on wardrobe. Dirty marks on bathroom floor. Sea view I think that misdescription ! Definitely avoid!!

The room was big.

• Reviewed: 2 November 2016

House of horrors
    • Double Room with Bath

No wifi, I booked as it had free wifi, no breakfast available, no one on reception, room was cold and dirty - An absolute disgrace this hotel I am shocked booking.com let people stay here

Nothing - it was shocking

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

Thanks, but no thanks!

There could have been batteries in the tv remote. The Tv was so high up on the wall you could not reach it. Shower was dirty and old, room bare, a kettle but no cups, though we booked through your website as no breakfast the hotel's own site advertised the possibility to get breakfast- which then did not exist.

• Reviewed: 25 October 2016

It's in Dundee
    • Double Room with Bath

blocked toilet - tiny room (although room 2 was empty & available??? ) no breakfest option - stairs dodgey and key just left in reception for you

It's in Dundee

• Reviewed: 23 October 2016

Horrible bathroom
    • Double Room with Shower

Literaly couldn't sit on the toilet due to it being so close to the sink. Not an expression. You actually had to sit sideways. I know it's not most expensive hotel in the world but one expects a certain minimum standard in their room.

• Reviewed: 18 October 2016

Don't advise any other customers to go here
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Nobody on reception on arrival, 2 phone numbers on pieces of paper and nobody answering either, man from restaurant next door tried to help (no hotel restaurant and bar as advertsed) owner eventually appeared, got room. Nobody in attendance after this as owner left. Had to order in a takeaway for supper, no room service as advertised. DIY Breakfast was a feckin joke. Frozen out of date milk, so no milk for cereal nor coffee, no butter for toast, had to take kids to MacDonald s for breakfast so had to pay for this in addition to accommodation. Nobody available to complain to in morning, owner had my card details so have been charged for bed and breakfast without breakfast so feel I have been cheated big time. If he hadn't had my card details through the booking system I would have went elsewhere before we had even checked in. Daylight robbery, spoiled our family break from the start.

• Reviewed: 17 October 2016

Never again

No cooked breakfast,very dirty and no receptionist to talk to.window in the bathroom did not Close.no remote control for tv.the water was pooring through the sealing

The room was warm

• Reviewed: 25 September 2018

Absolutely filthy.

Absolutely filthy. This hotel should not be allowed on your site.

Ok but premier inn would be better

Dirty and very dated

Not pleasant
    • Superior Quadruple Room

The place was filthy, had holes in the walls, stains on curtains and furniture. Was definitely not worth the money.

Dundee Carlton

Bathroom was a bit cold

Super king bed

Comfortable and convenient.
    • Double Room with Shower

Host was friendly and helpful. Bed was confortable and clean. Nice dining experience close to hotel.

Fresh town

Short walk from the centre of the city

Curtains in the room.
    • Superior King Room with River View

Curtains in the room. Damp and dirt around bathroom window. Carpets dirty. Generally tired and dated .