Reviews of Castle Park Guest House 2 stars

Based on 377 B&B reviews

• Reviewed: 8 October 2018

A Nice Place
    • Single Room with Private External Bathroom

The bed mattress was a little hard for me...This is down to personal preference though.

Staff I met were friendly....it was nice and quiet at night and it's situated an easy walk from shops and theatres etc.

• Reviewed: 7 October 2018

Clean, comfortable room.

The window latches need attention as the seals let in a draft.

Clean, comfortable room. The staff let us check in early and took care of our bags until we returned that evening.

• Reviewed: 1 October 2018

Hotel was comfortable,decent location and nice breakfast.

Hotel staff are not working after 7 pm makes it awkward for guests coming after that time to check in and if you need other assistance during the night.

Hotel was comfortable,decent location and nice breakfast.

• Reviewed: 25 September 2018

Amazing breakfast

The room was small and very cold (in September), double bed small. the accommodation was about 20 min walking from the centre.

The breakfast was amazing. Car park available.

Good location within walking distance of old city and castle.

Room was very dated. Drapes fell off curtain rod, reported this to staff but didn't get them put back up. Internal shutters hanging off hinge. Breakfast not as expected.

Good location within walking distance of old city and castle.

One day stay
    • Single Room with Private External Bathroom

I only received self-check on details a few hours before arriving at the property and had not been able to receive this when I arrived. Was very confusing and had to ask a stranger to help me make a call as I am from another country and did not have cellphone reception

The host was hospital and the breakfast was very nice. The bathroom was clean and there was lots of tea and coffee provided in the room.

Good location for city centre, WiFi and parking for car
    • Single Room with Private External Bathroom

Wasn’t the cleanest, parking is further down the road on someone’s drive which was a little hard to find, continental rather than cooked breakfast.

Good location for city centre, WiFi and parking for car

Good value for great location
    • Single Room with Private External Bathroom

May have been a miscommunication, but bathroom was shared, not private exterior as I thought. No issues though ... the bathroom was very nice and modern.

The staff was really thoughtful and helpful! The location was perfect ... I walked all over Old Town and New Town!

• Reviewed: 24 August 2018

Excellent location in quiet neighborhood with easy access to city center
    • Single Room with Private External Bathroom

My room was rather small, but well equipped

Great view from my room on the top floor. The location was great and easy to get to the festival and city center with a bus stop right across the street. Shared shower and toilet was no issue and the facility was clean and nice to use.

Great old apartment room in a wonderful city. Excellent location.

Breakfast was basic but the room was lovely...old but with character. Great location. Parking was a little limited and jammed in but we appreciated having a space once we sorted it out.

• Reviewed: 11 August 2018

Staff very friendly and everything was as expected,great...

Staff very friendly and everything was as expected,great value for money.once we found our bearings was great location bus stop right outside taking you In to town could be walked but was with my mum who couldn't walk far so found this great will definitely be back again next year for the tattoo

• Reviewed: 3 August 2018

Very good for the price
    • Single Room with Private External Bathroom

The major problem I notice is the lock on the bathroom door is really old and it was a little difficult to open and close the door. It also made a lot of noise and when it's 3am and everyone is sleeping and you're trying to make as little noise as possible it is really not nice. So if you have to go to the bathroom often this room is probably not for you. Unfortunately, I missed breakfast the 3 nights I was there. Twice because of some tour and the last because of my plane and I was only given a lunch box once. The breakfast is also only serve for one hour (I think between 8am and 9am, can't remember), so it is pretty easy to miss... Also the reception is not always open and keep weird hours and I sometimes had to call on the phone to get someone.

The inside of the bathroom had been recently renovated. I also met the landlady who was incredibly nice and gave me a lunch box because she knew I had to flew out early in the morning and would miss breakfast. The place is also very quiet and I could sleep without problems. The room was small but cosy. I would definetely stay there again.

Location, very easy self check-in after the reception normal...

Location, very easy self check-in after the reception normal operating hours, nicely decorated and spacious room, unbelievably comfortable mattresses for really resting sleep, good choice for breakfast.

As above it was just right for our stay and we would stay here again.

Perhaps a mat on the floor of the bathroom would have been good, and the breakfast time was a bit early and only for 1 hour.

It was a lovely room just right for our weekend stay, the bed was comfortable the bathroom just right and added bonus a hairdryer. In a good location too. We would stay here again.

Room was as described.
    • Single Room with Private External Bathroom

The keys and locks took some time to get used to, would have liked easier access to room. Breakfast was only from 8 to 9am.

Room was as described. External bathroom was located just outside the room. Breakfast included gluten free options. Quiet neighbourhood.

It had a friendly atmosphere.

I would have preferred a cooked breakfast but the continental breakfast was excellent......

It had a friendly atmosphere..staff were excellent and very helpful....it was quiet at night so enjoyed a good nights sleep...

Grand for a one night stay.

There was only one bulb working in the three bulb ceiling light. The curtains and shutters both had issues closing and the bed/frame creaked on every movement. Breakfast was included but it didn't specify it was only continental. The shower had poor pressure.

The property is very conveniently located for the Kings Theatre. Good price for the bank holiday weekend when other properties were considerably higher. There was plenty of choice at the continental breakfast.

Disappointing! Over priced

The place needed modernising, cleaning and a coat of paint. The bed was tiny but matched the quilt. Breakfast was terrible, cramp little room for the guest's with miserable service (what there was) I think this one slipped through the Scottish Tourist Board net of inspections!?

easy access to Edinburgh city centre.

Excellent place for overnight stay between flights.
    • Single Room with Private External Bathroom

On arrival I was greeted by a very happy smiling host who helped me with my luggage to the second floor. My host then provided excellent directions to local places of interest and to eat. She also booked my taxi and provided a packed breakfast to go due to an early flight.

Very good location and extensive continental breakfast

We chose the hotel for the location and because they offered a parking space, which was very key to us. We planned to walk everywhere and found the location was good. Friendly staff and comfortable room. The guest house is rather dated but it was very clean and suited our needs very well The continental breakfast was plentiful and varied

The bedroom is big and comfortable.

The hot water in the shower didn’t work in 4 days so we couldn’t took a shower. They charged us for breakfast but this is just from 8-9 thing completely ridiculous because if you are on holidays you normally wake up at 8:30-9:00 so you miss it as we do but the thing is they told us it once we arrived, not in advance.

The bedroom is big and comfortable.

Nice cozy hotel if you're on a budget..
    • Single Room with Private External Bathroom

Please check the shower because the water coming out of there was almost cold. Not very pleasant. A new mattress wouldn't hurt either. And the remote control didn't work

Breakfast was good! Sweet little Hotel with bus right in front of the building. Lovely staff! Would stay again for the price !

Quiet Castle

Room was very cold. Curtains didn't close fully. No tea bags and not enough milk.

Very comfortable bed. Freeview TV. No need to check in. Nice ensuite.

Perfect for those who want a tidy room to return to after visiting the city. I'll come back again!!
    • Single Room with Private External Bathroom

The staff is amazingly kind, i've been forced to stay longer because of the snow storm and they stopped my room for more days. Room and bathroom cleaned everyday, good breakfast!

Pleasant stay. I had a good sleep.
    • Single Room with Private External Bathroom

I would have love to have a taste of a traditional Scottish breakfast, but given the price of the room, it was fine the continental one. Enough coffee to start the day. Very good.

good location, clean, cosy room. It´s wonderful to have a kettle with tea and coffee in the room. Value for money. Staff very kind and helpful. No noise at night, sleeping was perfect. Just what you need for a short stay.

Nice location and a great host!
    • Single Room with Private External Bathroom

The lady who runs the guest house is so lovely! When I said I would have to leave early in the morning to catch my flight and wouldn't make it to breakfast, she brought me a breakfast bag. I didn't even ask for it but she was so nice to provide it. :) Also the location is nice, lots of places to eat with different cuisines on offer.

Castle park guest house made our stay in Edinburgh comfortable and convenient!

Even after turning up the heater the room was a little chilly. The option of an extra blanket would be helpful.

The beds were very comfortable. The WiFi was very fast, and the breakfast was very convenient.

Good value for money.
    • Single Room with Private External Bathroom

Breakfast could have started at 7:30. I missed breakfast one day because I had a tour early in the morning.

Good variety for breakfast. It is decent and affordable accommodation.

Avoid unless have to or do not expect much.

Shower cold no hot water. Had to ring to ask them to put heating on. Curtains hanging off rails. Customer service or lack of. Breakfast certainly not quality. Noisy can hear every creek. I would deffo pay more to stay somewhere else next time. Just not a good experience at all. Pretty much ruined our great time in edinburgh eith the poor quality. Basics were cut im assuming to save money... showers need replacing. Heating should be on without asking .... it was December!

The hair dryer in the room was decent.... only good thing. Breakfast was acceptable just, however 1hr for breakfast is poor and ran out of food. Rooms very basic but accetable but do not expect anything. Bus is handy for gettin to royal mile to far to walk really we did it one way an it took like 40mins.

Very close to Edinburgh city centre, walkable.

Freezing when we arrived at 3:30pm and no heating on till 5pm so climbed into bed! Was lovely and warm throughout the night. We was in room 3 shower a waste of time only a trickle from it!!

Very close to Edinburgh city centre, walkable. The lady who was there to meet us on arrival and at breakfast was most cheery and full of local information.

Clean room and comfortable beds

Simple breakfast, lacking typical scottish breakfast Bathroom could have been cleaner (especially shower)

Clean room and comfortable beds Nice staff and helpful Free WiFi with good connection Really good location, quiet and close to city center and good restaurants

Having parking facilities available was very helpful.

We were disappointed with the property. We had no heating in our bedroom, and in November that is far from ideal. Cold and cramped. In need of some TLC.

Having parking facilities available was very helpful.

When I arrived, both my room and bathroom were completely...
    • Single Room with Private External Bathroom

There are not so many places to eat out around the property. I had problems to lock and unlock the door.

When I arrived, both my room and bathroom were completely cold; however, the staff turned on the heating immediately upon my request. They also gave me an extra blanket, just in case. Since my room was located on the second floor and I was there just for one night, they allowed me to store my luggage in a locked room downstairs which was very helpful as well. There is an easy access to Edinburgh airport by a night bus from Morrison Crescent - in about seven-minute walk from the hotel.

Good for a short stay
    • Single Room with Private External Bathroom

The fact that the breakfast is not getting served until 09:00 was a dissapointment for me as I had to leave earlier and to have a take-away breakfast prepared one night before, which consisted in a croissant, a cake and an apple.

The location is ok, the property looks quite old, but at this price you cannot ask for more. The room was clean and warm and had complimentary tea and instant coffee and the lady who welcomed me was friendly.

The location.

Breakfast started off ok the first two days with quite a few choices. Continental breakfast. On the third day a different lady was serving. We had one small pot if tea between us. Cereal and Two slices of toast and jam. She had to get the bread from the freezer and then only put 4 slices on the table for everyone. You had to ask for more. Cheese and ham. A few croissants and that was it. We never saw this lady again she Sat in the kitchen having a coffee. At least the first lady made sure the two breakfast tables were full including the fridge with yoghurt and drinks. Also clearing the tables as people left.

The location.

Excellent price/quality. A lot for the money.
    • Single Room with Private External Bathroom

In their website they should note that the parking requires prior reservation because it is very limited and better suited for relative small cars.

Staff were very friendly, excellent customer service. Unbeatable price/quality. Location is great. (Continental) Breakfast surprisingly good considering the price paid.

Very comfortable and convenient for my needs, I would go back again.
    • Single Room with Private External Bathroom

The breakfast could have been better, I thought there could have been a full English provided.

The staff were very helpful and obliging for any queries I asked them

The guest house was only a walk away from downtown.

The wifi was ok but could be intermittent at times.

The guest house was only a walk away from downtown. There were lots of shops and restaurants nearby.

An excellent experience. Enjoyed myself.
    • Single Room with Private External Bathroom

Excellent location---could walk to downtown. Close to pubs which offer excellent food. My room was small but cosy, very clean and had everything I needed. Very good selection of food for breakfast and excellent service.

Nice hotel with friendly staff

Bed seemed quite old and made a lot of noise during night. Air conditioning in the bathroom was extremely loud.

Hotel was very idyllic and family-run. It was located a little out of the city center but in a peaceful area close to many good quality restaurants. Staff was extremely nice and helpful and we felt very welcomed. Breakfast room was tiny but we had no problem to find an empty table.

Disappointed

No parking provided so add at least an extra 10 pounds for a 1 night stay. A free parking was announced and booking.com says that reservation was not necessary --> this is NOT true ! That was a selection criteria for me and the owner did not even seemed to be sorry about it. The room looks old and dirty. Lots of things are in very bad shape see pictures. Nobody asked us the kind of breakfast we would want... So if you don't ask you will not receive anything but continental and coffee :-(

Staff problems and poor managing skills

It looks like they had a staff problem so we could not have breakfast in our second morning (which was included in the price), our room was not cleaned/made, the whole place looked unattended, etc. The manager, instead of taking a constructive approach, was very rude to us and had a defensive attitude. She even said that her staff problems were not HER problems (¿?). We did take breakfast in the first morning and it was not good at all but I don't think it was a consecuence of all this but the usual thing. I wouldn't recommend this place.

The street was nice and quiet. Parking was provided and it was very convinient.

Beds were comfortable and room was very clean.

The breakfast was poor, no cooked breakfast availabe only cereal, bread which you could toast by yourself there was a limited selection of cold meats and sliced cheese or jam

Beds were comfortable and room was very clean. There were also coffee and tea making facilities and a TV in the room. Free WiFi too which was a good bonus travelling with children

Scentsy girls stay

There was nothing that we didnt like about the property

It was a great b&b clean tidy helpfull staff room was great enougth room for 3 adults in our room

Beds were very comfortable.

Didn't like the fact that the front door key also opened the bedroom door. ? Can any key open any bedroom!?

Beds were very comfortable. Nice big ensuite room.

Good but not impressive

The room was too hot. We could not sleep at nigh and there were not way to reduce the heat. It made our stay very uncomfortable.

Staff was really nice and helpful. Breakfast was good and the view from dining area was beautiful.

Inviting and relaxing.

Our bed seemed to be broken, there was a large dip in the mattress, making for a less comfortable sleep, as I kept falling into the dip. Breakfast, is simple with small variety and with packaged items.

The woman who greeted us was SO kind, walking us to our room and bringing us maps and guides, offering suggestions of how to see and spend our time while there. She was respectful and provided us with many ideas! The house itself has so much character, with beautiful high ceilings and large windows. The bus stop across the street is very convenient when getting around. We were also able to leave our luggage there as we toured around, which we were very grateful for! Made travelling around so smooth.

A small friendly B&B with very friendly and helpful staff at a central location.

No specific dislike. Early mornings tended to be cold [ after all in is Edinburgh] in bed- if the heating could come on a little earlier would be more comfortable.

Clean en suite bath/toilet, Tea making facility in the room, free wifi, central location yet not noisy, very helpful staff, comfortable double bed I left some belongings whilst checking out -staff contacted me on my phone to arrange to return the belongings. Close to bus stop.

• Reviewed: 5 January 2017

Lovely breakfast and comfy beds

We arrived at seven at night and the lady who opened the door seemed to be surprised and complaint that we were late (even though Check in times on the website state 2- 8 or so) She didn't make us feel very welcome. The two girls who made breakfast were lovely though!

Great cooked breakfast! Bed was very comfy!

• Reviewed: 26 December 2016

Excellent value for money, great breakfast, clean comfy rooms

Excellent cooked breakfast extra toast if required. Lovely big room for three, comfy beds, warm room, clean towels daily. Easy access to city centre - walking distance or bus literally outside hotel. hotel staff very friendly kept our luggage on day of departure letting us keep a key to collect our bags whenever we wanted, resulting in making the most of our trip without carrying bags around.

• Reviewed: 19 December 2016

Ideal location, smelly and in need of a serious revamp

The room absolutely stunk off smoke, the bedding and everything really badly smelled of smoke. It wasn't that the bedding was dirty it was fresh bedding but the whole place just stank of smoke and greasy cooking. The shower cubicle was filthy to the point we didn't use it. We also didn't realise till the taxi drivers told us that the guest houses in Edinburgh are letting the homeless people stay in them. I was looking for a plug to charge my phone and pulled the plug for the lamp out to fined the lamp at the side of the bed the plug was broken and the wires were all exposed this was a fire hazard. Also the dust behind the bed was actually disgusting. We got up first thing the next morning and left and came home for a shower. We can't rate breakfast as we didn't want to eat the food the smell of it was enough for us.

The location of the property was great, the woman who checked us in was lovely.

• Reviewed: 20 November 2016

Staff friendly & helpful.
    • Single Room with Private External Bathroom

B&B interior incredibly dated. Mismatched bad furniture, frightening electrics in bedroom, worn plugs, old sockets,old thin carpets, old (clean)towels etc. Very poor quality breakfast. Cheap nasty sausage etc. Wouldn't visit again or recommend but couldn't fault the staff.

Staff friendly & helpful. Really pleasant. Clean bedding, bathroom & dining room.

• Reviewed: 25 October 2016

Very nice place

Very nice place, nice staff, good breakfast, room consistent with the description, great location- very close to the Castle, quiet and calm environment.

• Reviewed: 23 October 2016

Breakfast was good

Room looked nothing like the pictures on Bookings.com Establishment looked "tired" Car parking was a little strange - nearly got a parking ticket

Breakfast was good Room was clean Location was good Value establishment - so got what I would expect - but based on pictures possibly expected better - this was chosen more for location & parking criteria but did base elements of selection on pictures of rooms

• Reviewed: 20 October 2016

Excellent breakfast

Couldn't connect to WiFi A slight tricky check-in

Excellent breakfast Comfortable bed Good location - near bus stop, in takes about 10 minutes to get to the center Friendly and helpful staff Good prices for what I get

• Reviewed: 20 October 2016

Great Family Place

The wifi was not very strong. I did not bring my work with me, which was good as I would not have been able to connect well. I often go to Edinburgh for research and this would have been a concern for me.

The staff was very friendly and accommodating. They ensured we had an en-suite as I have two daughters and did not want them having to get up in the middle of the night to go out to the toilet. Everyone was quite friendly, which is great as my youngest makes friends everywhere we go. This is the only place she wants to stay next time we are in Edinburgh :) It is less than a mile's walk to the Castle and the Royal Mile, plus there are restaurants and a Sainsbury and Tesco right around the corner. The city busses pick up and drop off almost on the door step. For a family, this is great. We took the bus one morning but found it easier to walk everywhere so we could see all the shops and enjoy the city.

• Reviewed: 17 October 2016

Cheap and cheerful
    • Single Room with Private External Bathroom

Bed was a little bit uncomfortable but fine!

Very quiet and peaceful, and everything is in walking distance. Nice private rooms and bathroom Lovely to include a basin and mirror in my single bedroom, and a tray of tea and coffee and biscuits with a tv too! Staff were lovely at breakfast in the morning.

• Reviewed: 13 October 2018

very basic, old furniture

Shared bathroom

pretty good continental breakfast included

• Reviewed: 9 October 2018

The staff was friendly and helpful.

The room is a little dated, but there was plenty of light.

The staff was friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 3 October 2018

Probably would not stay here again because I can afford better.

No common area like a living room. Did not have remote control for TV. Stairs were step and thin.

Low cost

Castle Review
    • Single Room with Private External Bathroom

Friendly people. Convenient location for me.

Great place to stay within 15 minutes walk of centre recommended
    • Single Room with Private External Bathroom

Mattress as discussed with landlady she appreciated feedback and said it would be changed

I have already done this with you

It was very clean, comfortable and quiet.
    • Single Room with Private External Bathroom

It was very clean, comfortable and quiet. Highly recommended. The staff were also very helpful and kind.

• Reviewed: 18 August 2018

Very cozy room, close to city centre and very friendly staff.

Very cozy room, close to city centre and very friendly staff.

• Reviewed: 10 August 2018

Good value

Couldn't use garden.

Good location for visiting. Restaurants close by. Rooms are not remarkable but fine for a night.

We had a lovely stay

The stairs were very steep and narrow in places for the children.

The bedroom was very nice. Children liked breakfast

Zona tranquila.

Alejado del centro. Far from the city centre.

Zona tranquila. Quiet zone.

Castle Park guest
    • Single Room with Private External Bathroom

Not a major problem,but my room was small with the bathroom across the landing.

Clean,comfortable.

Close to the city.

TV didn't work. Curtains need reattaching to the rail.

Close to the city.

L'arret de bus en face, la place de parking.

L'arret de bus en face, la place de parking.

Good value

No cooked breakfast

Bed was comfy. Very quiet.

Good breakfast, cozy room, very nice place and building.
    • Single Room with Private External Bathroom

Good breakfast, cozy room, very nice place and building. Friendly staff.

Not worth £80, I wouldn't go here again. The staff on site were lovely.

Bed hard, no hot water, curtains falling off, breakfast very poor - very long life pastries.

The staff

Value for money was fantastic

Value for money was fantastic

very disappointing

poor value for money... very average and really nothing special in comparison to other places in Scotland...no effort made poor bathroom facilities