Reviews of Castle Hotel 3 stars

Ladybank, Tamworth, B79 7NB, United Kingdom

#9 of 10 hotels in Tamworth

The staff were miserable but nice enough. Although didn't tell me where I needed to go to get to my room and just said "cheers" as I left the key on the side for check out? Just a little unprofessional really and not really a service. My room was clean and tidy although some table cloths were left in the bucket next to the bath and they clearly didn't check the toilet as it had stains and remenance of the last visit. It was very loud with the party two flights down and I didn't sleep well due to guests being drunk and loud outside. The water pressure was non existent and some of the plug sockets didn't work either.

Bathroom was big. Bedroom was clean.

The room was dated wallpaper pealing and the paint work was shabby an alarm went off at 7 am I was there for a function hence booked I also completed a form asking to be refunded but yet to hear back as the larger rooms price were cheaper than what I paid for a single. Not happy then I got a phone call reminding me of the checkout time

The exterior as it’s near castle grounds

• Family Room

Nothing was wrong with the hotel. The room was maybe a little tight for space to move around in the morning. I only mention this because our two friends said their room had 4 beds in it!

The Castle hotel was perfect for our needs. We were a small family and needed to stay close to Drayon Manor for the next day. Everything was clean and staff friendly.

• Small Double Room

The whole hotel needs an update the room was small but too much packed in to it a single room with a double bed. Windows did not stay open and were rotten no desk space and poor wifi not a business hotel.

Good value

No parking facilities at hotel nor possibilities close to the hotel for temporarily parking car for (off)loading luggage. Miscommunication with receptionist on use of disabled persons parking in front of hotel, when showing “ blue card” while checking in and offloading luggage , resulted in parking fine.

Top location near centre of town and parks, lake , river and leisure Area. Well located for walks with the dog

We couldn't find a hotel car park so had to pay for the nearest street parking.

Very central location. Laid back and comfortable. We'd spent the day at Drayton Manor theme park which was only a 10min drive away. Got back late and tired but the staff were lovely and I found my stay very pleasant. Close to a great little ale bar called "the Tamworth Tap" and a fantastic restaurant "Portabello" . All in all we had a great night and slept very well.

• Small Double Room

Really thin walls, could hear next door having a conversation, brushing their teeth and their 5am alarm going off. Could also hear the clubs/pubs all night. Bit of a pain for a quiet night's rest.

Location and cleanliness were perfect!

• Small Double Room

The bathroom was so small that you could sit on the loo and put your feet in the shower at the same time ! The noise from one of our neighbours went on until 4.30am...we did bang on the wall at 2.30am and 4.30am and at 4.45am a group of people left and the noise stopped..It did make the night very long and quite frustrating.

The bed was really really comfy, the lady who booked us on the desk was lovely

Every time any of the rooms used an extractor fan in the toilet (comes on automatically when the light is switched on) you could hear it. Would of had a poor nights sleep if I hadn't of brought ear plugs.

Nice staff. Great location (right next to the castle). Clean rooms.

The details regarding the accommodation were incorrect. There was no parking or Restaurant. I specifically looked for this and although the information on Booking.com says that the hotel has them, they do not. Also the breakfast was very poor. There were no members of staff available at all and I had to fend for myself.

Well I’n the morning the smoke alarm went off three times and recpetion kept on ringing the room to tell us we shouldnt be smoking but we wernt

Comfortable bed

No parking for my engineers so both engineers attending this hotel cold not stay the first night and at 10pm i had to source a travel lodge NOT AT ALL HAPPY costing me £100 EXTRA

There was very nice and helpfull staff. The place right in the historical centre of the Tamworth is perfect. The hotel itself is very historical building, but in the same time very nice and clean. Breakfast was great.

Very dated, could hear the man next door blowing his nose and going to the toilet. Really strong smell in halls and corridors

Very comfy bed and rooms were clean

• Small Double Room

Give this place a big miss. room terrible - example wash basic on plain worktop in bedroom, bedroom very small for a double. Central heating off over night on very cold night. no chair or desk area. Breakfast was horrible worst I think in ten years or more. So a big No No from me.

The pipes in the room over in the annex made a lot of noise during the night making it difficult to sleep. But did not tell anyone as we had to check out early.

Fantastic friendly staff nothing was to much for them, made us feel very welcome. Comfortable bed, very good value for money.

The early morning outside noise due to location

There is not much not to like it’s central to all Amenities Though can be a little Noisy due to location and no fault of hotel

• Small Double Room

Many things, for £50 it was awful. Little did we know we’d be sitting in bed at 2am, with the club 2 floors beneath hs being louder than the tv, vibrating our water and windows from 9pm - 2am. (Tv was only on till then because we weren’t even going to bother trying to sleep.) Finally at 2am they turned the music off, but we then had to listen to drunk girls screaming outside our window till 2:30. No staff were there, told us to go down before 6pm the night before if we needed everything. If there is a way to get our money back both me and my partner shall try. Awful stay.

Bed was comfy I guess.

• Small Double Room

Very basic and not worth the price

Not worth the money. Property is in a big need of an update. Walls are very thin and got woken up in the early hours by two gentlemen talking

• Small Double Room

The only thing I have to say witch isn’t really bad is the the deckor in the room was a bit dated but that really doesn’t effect anything still a nice sized room very comfortable clean and welcoming witch is all you really need

Just all round comfortable

stayed in room 19 a single room which didnt look like it had been used in years the wallpaper was peeling off the walls , the sink was cracked , the room was cold , bedside cabinet needs replacing holes in the wall by the side of the bed ,inside of the window needs painting ,door isnt level so let light in , looks like i got a bad room going by the pictures ive seen

location was ok , staff friendly ,was cheap ,bed was comfy

I last stopped here 2 years ago and it was run down, it's even more run down now. I asked to change rooms because the one I was in the shower was terrible and it was cold. The second room had been slightly modernised and had a better shower. But the room was still very run down.

The location is handy for going for a meal and drinks. and staff were very friendly.

• King Double Room

Staff that could care and duvets that keep you warm and thicker curtains and windows that block out the noise from the street

good Italian restaurant a few doors down

Only one shower gel and one shampoo samples for a double room, sorted very easily at Reception. Felt a bit cold, only one heater working, two others were there for decorative purpose. For the same money, my partner, my 10 yo son and myself had a buffet breakfast included in our double room + sofa at Holiday Inn Tamworth the next day.

Good positioning of the furniture in the room, very clean, comfy bed, large screen.

• Small Double Room

The room was adequate but did smell of stale tobacco, there were cobwebs and dust in places.

The staff were friendly, the hotel is in a perfect location for Town Centre. Though can be a little noisy at night to be expected.

• Small Double Room

Change your bar floor as fell off a step dropped my pint & so did the father of the bride at a wedding it could of been nasty & broken an ankle etc etc! Reported a lose lock on room 18 too.

Bed was good too. ;-)

• Small Double Room

I didnt like the bed pushed against the wall, but for 1 night it was ok.

Perfect for a night stay, Staff on check in really pleasent and chatty. Bed’s comfy.

The hotel appeared to be very run down. The condition of the bathroom was not up to standard as there was a lot of mould on the ceiling. The décor in the room was very dated and worn out. The choice of menu in the restaurant was poor especially evening meal

Staff were very friendly and helpful and the room was very clean. Tea/coffee making facilities

I had several bags as my husband was arriving seperately, the receptionist was rather abrupt and no help was offered despite our room being on the 2nd floor. Breakfast was charged for seperately and wasn't worth £9.50, minimal choice, small, quite shabby restaurant area. In fact it was the most disappointing part of our stay, we'd have been better not paying extra and having breakfast elsewhere.

The bedroom was lovely, very spacious, comfortable. Nice furnishings, all amenities including wifi, it was also really quiet. The bathroom was a real treat, huge bath, seperate double shower, warm and luxurious. We were attending our works Christmas party, this was well organised and the food better than average for an organised event. We had a very enjoyable evening.

Absolutely nothing

We had a Vow Renewal at the Castle Hotel, and it was absolutely brillant. From Mike the Manager to the waiting staff. Nothing was too much trouble. All the staff were happy and polite. I would recommend this venue and hotel. Thanks

The room itself was a bit on the small side and I felt didn't really match up to the pictures. I was only staying for the night though, so it wasn't really a problem. The rooms and halls were all very close together so I could hear people coming in and out constantly and due to this it didn't exactly feel private and I was woken up very early by people.

Very friendly and helpful staff who had a good sense of humor. The bathroom in my room was great and very impressive, with plenty of clean towels. I'd say this place is more than acceptable for a one night stay, but if you are staying for a few, I would say book one of the higher end rooms (though I haven't tried them out yet) or stay somewhere a little more expensive.

• Small Double Room

This was probably my worst hotel experience. The staff were non engaging, unhelpful and the lady who was on front of house the morning I checked out was particularly unhelpful. The breakfast has to be the worst I have ever had. The tables were dirty with dirty cups etc on them, I think the reason for this was because the lady in question was too busy chatting to the chef in the kitchen. I had to interrupt them just to get a napkin. It was a truly awful experience.

I had parking problems and, as a result of misinformation , managed to collect a penalty charge for unwittingly leaving my car in a disabled slot (it was late and dark, so I did not bother to check the signs), but I have taken this matter up directly with the hotel, because it could have happened to anyone, although it could have been avoided with a bit more staff training.

The room was small, but comfortable, warm and quiet and the washing/toilet facilities quite acceptable, so I had a good night's sleep.

No heating on in the room. The rooms are very large and the little wall mounted fan heater was nowhere near sufficient. There was no heating in the bathroom, not even a heated towel rail!

Close to town

• Small Double Room

The shower was dire, hardly any pressure and the tray started to fill up with the trickling water straight away. That was the only down side apart from the parking which was recommended at the end of the street, it is only a 2 hour stay car park.

The room was lovely and clean, location brilliant, lovely building, staff very helpful and friendly.

There was no heating , towel rail didn’t work and the parking is a problem. It’s a 2hr. 3 hr no return.and believe me the traffic wardens are on top maybe the hotel could speak to the hotel and arrange a pass or something so you can park.

The staff was good and friendly the room nice clean and comfortable relaxed atmosphere

I know it's an old building but the floor board outside the bathroom was very loud to the point it woke me up when it was stepped on. The window was quite stiff to open and when entered the room first time it smelt like someone had been smoking in the room but once turned the radiator off the smell went away

Room was clean and bed was comfortable, the bathroom was immaculate. The staff were friendly when arrived and helpful with directions to the room.

I chose not to have breakfast at the hotel as I thought it was too pricey.

The hotel wasn't fancy but it had everything I needed, bed was comfortable and staff very helpful.

• Small Double Room

Only 1 electric socket. No bedside table or stand.

Comfy bed. Nice and quiet. Right next to the Castle Park. Plenty of drawer storage space. Iron & hairdryer in room.

Decor was past it's best but I was comfy and it was clean.

It was welcoming due to receptionist, it was comfy and very clean, it just had a warm atmosphere. I felt quite relaxed and not bombarded with dos and don't dos.

Okay, so our stay wasn't exactly perfect, but it could've been if it weren't for the singing drunk in the next room giving us 3 very loud choruses of God Save the Queen at 2 in the morning! Oh well!

Loved this hotel and the "superior" double room certainly didn't disappoint. From the big soft bed with the plush pillows and extra cushions, to the solid furniture and the extra large TV - sheer quality! Plenty of floor space and storage, too, plus a hairdryer, a phone, and the electric sockets have usb charging slots built in for i-phones etc. The bathroom is gorgeous and comes complete with a huge bath, walk in shower and a Champagne bucket for the romantic in you! Well worth the extra tenner! Perfectly located for town centre shopping / dining, and right next door to the fabulous castle grounds and park with its tennis courts, bowling green etc. An easy stroll across the park brings you out at the Snowdome and the nearby "Ventura" retail park.

• Small Double Room

shower was very basic and hotel decor a little tired. I felt for what we paid breakfast should of been included.

Great location with very friendly and helpful staff.

There is no onsite parking. Something I'd overlooked when booking the hotel. However there is public parking nearby.

Window glazing really cut down street noise. Television screen is a good size.

Nearly every thing. The hole place needs revamping. Not enough staff for jobs in the hotel went to the bar in the hotel nobody was there waited about eight minutes for someone to come nobody came so my husband went to reception to find someone to help. The receptionist came through to help because apparently the bar tenter was bizzy. She didn't know what todo so told her we would find another bar to go too. Breakfast wasn't much better same receptionist was asked questions which she couldn't answer as she said she was the receptionist. The hotels smelt as you walked in of the street the carpets are dirty the decor was dated just over all disappointed with it

The bed was clean

Quick inspection of room found room wasnt 100 per cent clean found some button on floor and wallpaper looked like it had been scratched off and to be fair outdated apart from that the room gave me what i needed

Very close to all shops services

• Double Room with Four Poster Bed

Did not find the croissants. Only problems the noise from the bar. Went on until 12.8 am. Not let Pom number eight when function going on. Some of us like to turn in earlier we attended a wedding in the Tudor Suite and could not stand the noise from the disco. Returned to our room but were unable to sleep, read because of the noise.

The staff were very attentive, kind and polite. The food for the wedding breakfast was very good. Cleared away very quickly and set room for evening entertainment.

• Small Double Room

I previously contacted the hotel about parking as I could see there wasn't any at the hotel. I think the hotel should give advice on where there is to park within close proximity. However this is the only downfall I could think off.

Easy to check in and a fantastic location. Room was comfortable with a spare pillow and blanket.

• Small Double Room

All I could say was we had the fire escape stairs out of our window, again didn't really cause much of an impact

Overall the hotel was brilliant! Staff and atmosphere were second to none. Rooms were a little dated with the decor however they are doing restoration which did not impact our stay. Would definitely make a return visit

• Small Double Room

Lack of spyhole in bedroom door to corridor plus Lack of double lock on inside of door-these are personal security issues (room 18) Some street noise at night as bar below but not for long periods of time Noise from other guests at night slamming their doors Faded stairway carpets as you climb to first and second floors

Central location near river and castle Great price on Booking.com-best price in area

The breakfast was terrible!!!!! truly awful ! 'sausages' were disgusting..scrambled egg tasted like ashes. Staff were bored and inattentive . Couldn't wait to get out

The room was clean and spacious ..however it wasn't in the main building ...a 3 minute walk away

No elevator. Reception closes at 11 so you must checkin until that time. The give you a key to get in on your own after that time. THe key is the usual type susctible to losing rathe than the interchangable current magnetic chip cards used on most hotels.

Room size was ok and the room and the area around the hotel very quiet. Bed was comfortable. Bathroom size was ok. THe price was really cheap so good value for money. No airconditioning and while the weather was not hot so the room temperature in that summer nice was good I fear the lack of aircondiotingn might be a problem on a hot night, The room and the facilites were clean.

• Small Double Room

Lack of free park and the only car park nearby has a 2 hour restriction, meaning I had to return to my car and pay extra parking and display the ticket on my dashboard every 2 hours until 6pm. Reception not attentive at all. First impression on arrival was poor. The door lock to our room was broken and a forceful shove would have opened the door. Wallpaper was peeling everywhere. The en-suite was a toilet with a shower with not even an arms length between them and the wash basin was separate in the bedroom. The shower head wouldn't stay in the holder to shower and a previous occupants hair was stuck to the shower. There was a light above the basin not working. The window catch was worn and the window wouldn't close firmly and as a consequence we could hear everything from outside as if the window was open. The room was over the bar and finally at 3.30am we had silence enough to get to sleep. The whole hotel needs updating. Carpets are old and discoloured, lots of things are in need of repair e.g. A broken window on the stairs just has some plastic stuck on it to hold it together . I felt completely ripped off when for £48 a night I could have stayed at a nice travel lodge a quarter of a mile away. Breakfast wasn't included it was an additional £9.50 per person on top of the almost £100 a night room rate. Never again!!!! How on earth this hotel is classified a 3 star I don't know. It doesn't deserve 1 star.

It was fairly clean, but old and withered. Near the town centre.

Room smelled of old cigarette smoke despite being a non smoking room. Foyer and stair carpet were very worn and grubby looking.

Prime location. Bathroom refurbishment was really good. Bed linen was clean.

• Small Double Room

Staff standing around gossiping around the reception area about someone in the restaurant or who was stopping there, very unprofessional.

Room clean and adequate.

• Small Double Room

Everything, we only paid £41 and I wasn't expecting the room to be so lovely! All staff were amazing and extremely helpful! Had lots of places to shop/eat around the hotel! Can't fault it

This was very good value for money. It was clean an tidy and the staff helpful and friendly. I resent paying a load of money, basically just to sleep somewhere and do a bit of work on-line. That said, establishment have to cover costs and future investment.

At the time of my visit the hotel suffered from a couple of power cuts. This was difficult for the staff, who were most helpful.

I dont know whether there was a night club nearby there was quite a bit of music late at night

Everything was in order the receptionist and staff were very helpful

• Reviewed: 9 June 2017

In a family room a little fridge would have been very useful For baby milk, soya yoghurt etc for special dietary requirements,.

Separate TV room in family large double, made it easy to let my baby boy sleep!

• Family Room

I hate to say anything negative but I found the upstairs accommodation slightly dated and messy although to be fair they were having a refurb whilst we were there.

my daughter booked this hotel for her wedding, because we live in wales we decided to book a room to stay in. The castle hotel staff were absolutely fabulous! welcoming and friendly and very professional throughout the whole of the wedding. Thank you all for a day and night to remember!! you all worked so hard!!!

• Reviewed: 20 May 2017

• Small Double Room

Dirty towels and cups left dirty when room cleaned, work in the hotel made it impossible to work in the day, 0530 work men arrived and very noisy. Wi Fi was none existent, as I have a van parking was nowhere within a mile radius. On departure the night manager finally appeared at 0805 after 4 calls and then found it a chore to service me with the bill, flinging it on the counter as she went off

• Reviewed: 27 April 2017

• Small Double Room

Room was small - OK as travelling alone There was no hairdryer in the room - didn't realize until had wet hair. Noise from other rooms from 4:45am

Friendly staff

Shower in room was a little broke but everything else was perfect Stayed in the four poster suit room the hotel is a little dated but u can not fault the service the staff are amazing

Staff made our stay Saturday night couldn't do enough for us when we arrived and also when we came back from our party they was just very welcoming and lovely

We booked 2 rooms, what was not made clear was that these would be in an annexe. One of the rooms was very small and in both the water was barely lukewarm even after running for 20 minutes. Bed was extremely uncomfortable and sleep was very difficult.

The staff were friendly and food was good

Constant waking from sleep due to multi occupancy groups of people smoking. Banging doors...loud multi language communication in corridors until 02.30....Low quality of room and ben in an ANNEXE.....charged for a decent hotel...stayed in a hostel....i have stayed a few times but this will be the last .

• Double Room with Four Poster Bed

I went to my room at approx half past ten but the noise from the bar on the ground floor was absolutely shocking. The bed was vibrating in tune to the music being played in the bar. Their is no way you will sleep until the bar closes. The worst experience I have had in a hotel. Shocking!!!!!!

• Reviewed: 14 March 2017

• Small Double Room

I did find it rather noisy in the main hotel, above the bar. but they moved me with no fuss to the quiet house across the road (part of the castle hotel) Both rooms were fantastic. And would DEFINETLY stay there again.

The bed was really comfy and each room has a hairdryer and iron in them. Also complimentary tea coffee and biscuits.

The room we were in was a bit more of a walk from Reception than initially expected and the main area of the hotel smelled of old chip fat

Location of the hotel and comfort. Staff were very friendly and the room itself was lovely and clean. There is an Indian restaurant just up the road called Blue Water - if you stay in Tamworth it's must!! Beautiful view of the Castle from the room too.

• Reviewed: 9 March 2017

• Small Double Room

Disappointed that room was in an annex 100 yds across the road from the hotel. Parking details were not available at time of booking, did not advise that you could purchase a 24 hour car park ticket at hotel, after walking 1/2 mile from an area to park with case. Shocking lack of information.

• Double Room with Four Poster Bed

Loud guests in the middle of the night around 02:30, door slamming and someone was sick on the top of the stairs and it smelled really bad. Run down does not show up in the photo's. I hada 4 poster room so should have been one of the best rooms, it was comfy but a bit "drab"

Quaint location

• Reviewed: 19 February 2017

• King Double Room

Nothing it was all perfect

A fantastic room plenty of room The girls ( 2 little westies )enjoyed their valentines break to the max Excellent staff what a credit to the hotel Thank you 😇😇

• Reviewed: 2 February 2017

Some of the staff were not very helpful the room was over the disco & it did not finish until 12mn. The room was very small not at all like the one advertised on your site.

The locationn near to the facilities

• Reviewed: 19 December 2016

• Family Room

Decor and carpets are tired and dated.

Excellent choice for breakfast nice touch with complimentary water for the room..also tea/coffee making facilities. Staff really nice.

• Reviewed: 19 December 2016

• Double Room with Four Poster Bed

The front desk staff, the fact I got a parking ticket although I paid on the desk for parking, the carpets and furniture all need updating

Bed and bath were comfortable and rooms spacious. The lovely guy at the bar! So lovely!

• Reviewed: 5 December 2016

• Quadruple Room

Room was dirty, old pieces of chocolate cake left on dressing table. Toenail clippings on bedroom floor. Very tired decoration to the room and communal areas. Family room was very cramped and not impressed with one bed being a z bed.

Not much

• Reviewed: 21 November 2016

• Family Room

Carpets in corridors were very dirty and need replacing.

Breakfast was very good and plenty of choice. Full english...toast cereal fresh fruit and fres fruit juices. and cold