Reviews of Cave Castle Hotel & Country Club 3 stars

Church Hill, South Cave, HU15 2EU, United Kingdom

#2 of 3 hotels in South Cave

• Double or Twin Room

I booked a last minute stay here for my husband for Father’s Day and we weren’t disappointed. Even thought there was a wedding reception and golf meal at the same time we were still treat very well by all the friendly staff and the service we received was fantastic. The room was spotlessly clean and comfortable. The food in the restaurant was wonderful too. We used the swimming pool, jacuzzi and steam room which were also great. We will definitely be returning.

• Double or Twin Room

WiFi in my room 2 was poor. This was not widespread and there was good WiFi on the landing and in public areas. There was also no desk although it was a lovely room for a leisure stay.

Excellent pool

Coming home!

Thanks Kim for allocating such a lovely room. Still love the pool and facilities. Breakfast , the best I've had at any hotel. Forgot last time to mention the towels. They are so big and fluffy....you go to some hotels and you can't wrap them round even a size 14!.. I would go and stay there every month if i could . I love it!

• Double or Twin Room

- There was no way to control shower speed/force. High force made showering bit uncomfortable. - No charging points near bed

- Helpful staffs and service - Great breakfast - Nice pool and facilities - Serene place - Nice little touches like complementary Cookies and Water

• Double or Twin Room

View from room. Car park view from restaurant windows

Perfectly located for our sightseeing to York and Hull. Beautiful surroundings and accommodating staff

• Double or Twin Room

I couldn't find any fault

We only stopped one night but wished we had booked for at least one more. Great location, lovely grounds a very pleasant stay.

• Double or Twin Room

Expensive dining, sub standard food other guest rather boisterous in the early hours

Good choice of breakfast, comfortable bed, quirky interior, beautiful locations

• Double or Twin Room

Well, I rung up as I wanted a bath in the room, and i asked for a pic, which I was told wasn't possible and told to look online. This was misleading because they was a massive bath in the middle of the room, and ours was a standard bath. If I had known this I would of upgraded this but was miss informed.

The castle was beautiful inside and out

• Double or Twin Room

The reception for the channels on the TV was very poor, so could not watch some programs that I would have like to. Water took a long to warm up in the mornings.

The hotel provided what I needed whilst being in the area on business. Its location was close to where I was conducting my business. Food was excellent and staff very good.

• Double or Twin Room

The staff were wonderful - very attentive and kind. Beautiful hotel, gorgeous comfortable rooms and facilities - fabulous pool and Jacuzzi - wonderful breakfast - couldn't praise it more highly

• Double or Twin Room

Staff are so helpful and the view from our room was out this world...we had a picnic by the lake and was allowed a wine cooler from the bar to take down with us

The grounds are beautiful and also we like that your welcomed in the golf club

• Double or Twin Room

The cleanliness was the only thing that could be improved. There were, what looked like cup stains in the bathroom around the sink, and there looked to be a leak in the ceiling of our room as there was a stain there as well. Other than that though, it was great.

The breakfast was fantastic, and the room was lovely and spacious. The surround pubs and restaurants are really great, and not too expensive, and it has lovely grounds, and views. The price was very good as well.

• Double or Twin Room

Poor internet connection Waiting staff at dinner Value for money in respect of dinner Waiting time for hot water in shower in our room

Staff at breakfasr were very good Facilities Location

• Double or Twin Room

It was a long journey, but that was hardly your fault !

It was a splendid stay. It was for our sons 50th , so we are no spring chickens but we loved it.

• Double or Twin Room

Our room ( no 33 ) must be one of the few with no view but instead a window onto a light well : not good. Layout of the rooms/floors etc bit like a rabbit warren.

Ideal location for our needs.

• Double or Twin Room

Nothing springs to mind. This was a great hotel.

The hotel was very comfortable, well appointed and in a great location. The room was large and of a high standard. The onsite bistro served a good range of food (we didn't try the restaurant) and breakfast was comprehensive.

• Double or Twin Room

Poor service, lack of attention to detail, no newspapers for guests to read in the lounge. Bedroom small, sound proofing terrible, bathroom not clean, stains on bath towels. Electricity supply to room buzzed so much at night we went looking for the source of the sound - when we found it we turned the breaker off so then had no power but also no buzzing!

Outside of the building looked great

• Double or Twin Room

I was really happy to find out you were now a dog friendly hotel. So I booked one of your rooms for a stay for my partners birthday. Although the room was lovely & comfortable & I loved the fact there were some new food bowls & a dog bed provided. Also the room was on the ground floor so it was easy to take my dog out for breaks. I was really disappointed that that was as far as it went. If we wanted to stay at the hotel for a drink or something to eat we would have to leave our dog in the room. So really there was no reason the bring him with us. In the end we found a bub in the village who allowed dogs so we had drinks & something to eat there instead. But we would have liked to stay in the hotel.

This is our 4th stay at the castle and have always enjoyed our stay. However this time we stayed with our dog & have to day we were a bit disappointed.

• Double or Twin Room

Because we had a dog with us we felt that our accommodation was like the staff quarters ,

We found the restaurant food expensive , however the breakfast was excellent .

• Double or Twin Room

"Booking.com" stating that it was only 12.2 miles from Scunthorpe where we had tickets to see an artis when in actual fact it was 32 miles away!!!

Beautiful inside and out. The staff made us feel welcome and helped us to celebrate our first anniversary.

• Double or Twin Room

Some bar staff off hand. Food in the cafe varied greatly, had both goid and bad meals.

Two of the reception staff were excellent, breakfast manager good (lady).

• Double or Twin Room

Wonderful location. The spa area is excellent with great facilities we loved it. Room and hotel areas are very clean. Breakfast was great with lots of variety and choice.

• Double or Twin Room

A view from my first floor room would have been nice!

Excellent room comfort & facilities. Very comfortable bed. Dinner in the restaurant was excellent as was breakfast. All staff I met were extremely helpful & welcoming. Wonderful setting

• Double or Twin Room

The pool and facilities are excellent. Free aquatonics classes have helped my rehabilitation with broken bones . Breakfast is excellent. Carol in the dining room is so kind and helpful and all staff address you by name. I love it. I wish I could afford to live there!

• Double or Twin Room

The welcome from the restaurant manager left a lot to be desired. They had a few bookings in and made us feel like they couldn’t fit us in and we were an inconvenience. We weren’t asked if we would be dining in the restaurant when we checked in. The food was very disappointing and extremely expensive for the quality. We paid more for our 2 course meal with 2 drinks than we did for the bed and breakfast stay at the hotel! The bin in our bathroom had not been emptied from the last occupants. The quality of the decoration is really bad - scruffy sealant around the sink with brown mould starting to appear. Cheap shoddy shower rail with old looking shower curtain. There were stains on the bathroom tops that made it look dirty. The hotel has the potential to be excellent but lets itself down on things that are easily fixed.

Gym and swimming pool are good although if it was busy it would feel too full and not enough space. Breakfast is considerably better than evening dinner. I would suggest putting the buffet table in a different area to allow more space for people to help themselves. The cereal is in a corner that only allows 1 person at a time to serve themselves. The hot food is better spaced out.

• Double or Twin Room

Dinner was not good, we had the steak, and it was definitely not cooked properly. I had high expectations on breakfast given the reviews it had, worse coffee I had in a long time, horrible orange juice and not natural as it said. Honestly, I expected much more from this place. Wouldn’t recommend. I had the feeling they rely on people coming only because of the building itself and the parks, but the service is appalling as it’s the food. It needs remodelling, feels old.. not antique.. just old and not looked after.

The building is gorgeous, as it’s surroundings, but that’s it. The place itself looks run down.

• Double or Twin Room

Not much choice for vegetarians in the restaurant. No staff on lounge bar during day, till 5 p.m. Not the best shower in the world!

Lovely view from room no 2. Pleasant staff. Smashing breakfast, although we weren't aware of vegetarian options till we asked.

• Double or Twin Room

I think robes and slippers for guests that do like to use the health spa that have rooms at the front castle section of the hotel. It just saves having to get changed to go down to then get changed again.

Everything about this place was perfect. The treatment we got from the staff was incredible. They were so friendly and polite. Helped with any queries or requests. The food was amazing and I liked how they use local produce. The staff at breakfast were passionate about this and were happy to help us with dietary requirements. The use of the health spa attached to the hotel was fantastic. It was really relaxed in there and very quiet.

• Double or Twin Room

Would have preferred a room overlooking the main grounds as this is what we asked for but was given a room overlooking side of hotel instead Room was nice though.

Breakfast was outstanding

• Double or Twin Room

The restaurant side of the property wasn't the best experience for me.

Location Value for money Lovely room, quite, clean, spacious, com Spa facilities thrown in with the stay. Good breakfast, lovely Lincolnshire sausages.

• Double or Twin Room

The location-view across pond & towards South Cave. Breakfast - great choice of both traditional English & Continental. Loved the fruit selection and special pastries e.g simnel cake & bunny biscuits wrapped for our two grandsons. Staff helpful, attentive

• Double or Twin Room

There was two of us and we invited two guests into the restaurant for an evening meal none of us were impressed. The meal was served then the vegetables came too late to be eaten . It wasn't very busy but we were put on a table next to a very large noisy table we were also overlooked all through the meal by people outside smoking. If we went back to the hotel we wouldn't use the resteraunt. We also used the Court yard earlier and it was more like a transport cafe .With dirty tables radio type music blasting out nothing to go back for . Breakfast in the morning was served in a room that looked like a school sports hall ??. Nothing like a castle. Very disappointing with all those beautiful views surrounding the hotel.

The location was excellent . The staff were friendly. It was very clean . The Spa was very pleasant but I thought it was a shame slippers and robes weren't provided for residents to walk back to their rooms having to get showered and dried then dressed twice put us off using it in the morning .

• Double or Twin Room

From the insults shouted out to anybody walking past the entrance by the drunken wedding party guests, this was mid afternoon we knew it wouldn't get better. The room was in the annex of the hotel. The double bed was 2 singles strapped together with 2 single mattresses on it. Need I say more. Avoid

Although expensive the meal we had on the night was very very good. And Morag couldn't have done enough for us.

• Double or Twin Room

- Bed was particularly hard (personally not an issue for one night stay). - Double room small (as described on bookings.com) * * if we return we would highly recommend a larger room in the main castle as these I imagine have better views.

Clean, well equipped bedroom. Complimentary access to the swimming pool, gym, hot tub, steam room and sauna was all very good. Quiet with only a handful of other guest in there at the same time. Towels provided and good range of opening times into the evening. Food available in either formal setting (main restaurant) or relaxed (bistro). We ate in the bistro, good value for money and good size portions. Wide variety of drinks available at the bar. Excellent breakfast choice (cold meats, cheese, cereal, fruit, toast, full english breakfast, hot/cold drinks) +++. The two female waitresses were very polite, welcoming and engaging a particular highlight of our stay!

• Double or Twin Room

Although it stated the bed in the room was a double, I am 5ft 7in and my feet were hanging off the end of the bed. My partner is 6ft 2in so it wasnt a comfortable night sleep for him either.

Food was good value for money. Very clean and well maintained staff were pleasant. Only 30min drive to either York or Scarborough.

• Double or Twin Room

Minor staff issues on dinner service forgetting wine etc but easily rectified.

Beautiful location with modern well presented facilities. A good mix of old and modern in lovely surroundings. Large spacious bedrooms

• Double or Twin Room

The hot water tap in the bathroom was lukewarm., it didn't heat up properly. The first night my room was cold, it was windy and there was a draught from the window.

My room was small and quiet., the staff were welcoming and friendly. I had a lovely treatment on Mothering Sunday and lunch with a pianist playing throughout the meal. Had an extremely relaxing weekend.

• Double or Twin Room

Drains in the bathroom were smelly, when the bathroom door was open made the room smell also. Evening meal room service: steak overcooked, chips soggy, water from salad filled the bottom of the plate.

Staff are very warm and friendly, rooms are warm, lovely and clean and have everything I need. Nice cold choice for breakfast.

• Double or Twin Room

Staff very friendly and helpful,hotel immaculately clean and well maintained . The food is a credit to the chef , a very pleasant stay thank you to all that work here well done

• Double or Twin Room

Not a great deal but noticed cobwebs on the ceiling and lamp shades which could do with a clean...

Spent a couple of days here and its set in a lovely location.Really enjoyed the stay made even better by the friendly staff.It was cold outside but nice and warm indoors with the fire on at reception and the heating on in the rooms.Excellent facilities with the gym and swimming pool and enjoyable breakfast.Would love another visit in the future.

• Double or Twin Room

I think the ambience in the bar area could be improved. The bed was to small.

The restaurant dinner and breakfast was very good, staff very good, but the first days breakfast was not hot due to a lot of demand from guests from a wedding party

• Double or Twin Room

Hotel was looking a little tired in places, could do with a lick of paint Food was a little well done but still very nice and no long waits. Only major bug bear was in the restaurant on the evening there was a singer on. She was a very good singer but there was absolutely no need for a microphone and a noise level coming from the speakers that could rival the take off noise of a Lancaster bomber. It was so loud that when I tried to order a grey goose and lemonade with the waiter, and neither of us knew sign language he came back with an actual goose. I didn't drink the goose, I'm not an animal!! When I saw my partners ears start to bleed we decided to take our deserts outside and eat them whilst sat on the cannons We're both having to learn to lip read now

Location and the grounds were very pretty and well kept. Spa and pool was excellent and the staff where all very helpful and cheery

• Double or Twin Room

Room was a little ‘tired’ - as was much of the place. Such a shame - beautiful building / lovely old rooms in part of it, and polystyrene ceiling tiles.

Lovely breakfast. Plenty of choice. Outside the building looks stunning.

• Double or Twin Room

A little dissapointed in my evening meal, my pear starter had no nuts or cheese on it at all just lettuce and pear, the pork was very tasty but a little tough, but a good meal generally.

Lovely friendly staff, comfortable room, excellent breakfast. The pool was exceptional, really enjoyed the swimming and sauna.

• Double or Twin Room

Some of the communal areas of the old part of the hotel were a little weathered, but this did not spoil our stay.

The room was very comfortable. Breakfast was magnificent with a huge choice., and it was all extremely good. Staff were wonderful.

• Double or Twin Room

Maybe,and this is only a suggestion it would be nice to have a bar menu alternative available up to about 9pm.

The breakfast and evening was excellent as usual. The spa was wonderful. There was discreet furniture improvements noticeable in the room

• Double or Twin Room

We asked at the bar if we could have a Sunday lunch at around 2.15 as we had just arrived. We were left standing at the bar for about 10 mins while waiting for a lady to come and see us. She came to inform us that much of what was on the menu was unavailable and suggested we sat down in the bar area. At this time we hadn’t been told if we could eat in the restaurant or not! It was all very confusing! Eventually, we were led to the bar and had a beautiful meal but the original service was poor which was a shame.

Such a beautiful place. Love the historical elements. Comfortable bed. Great surroundings. Will definitely come again. Carol in the restaurant couldn’t have been more helpful. Lovely lady. Amazing Sunday lunch. Enjoyed the gym and spa.

• Double or Twin Room

Noise at 3am, carpet worn out in bedroom hot tap very hard to turn off, soap dispenser broken near sink and not enough staff on bar one person to cover three functions. Reception near offered to give information without residents asking lots of questions to find out where to locate spa ECT. For our very first visit to Cave Castle Hotel this did not exceed expectation.

Spa

• Double or Twin Room

We booked a double room and got twin beds bolted together. Unacceptable as one of us kept going down the cracks between the beds. Valentines meal was extremely poor for the price. The sirloin was so dry even the pepper sauce didn't sort the issue. No orange juice at breakfast. What's that all about then the hotel had 2 Valentines functions on on 2 consecutive nights. All in all very poor all round, very badly managed and very lazy staff. The hotel clearly relies on the fact the external pictures give the WOW factor but internally it's more of a poor sea front B&B standard with the 5* prices attached.

Leisure facilities were good.

• Double or Twin Room

Very noisy shower, cold room with windows not closing well. Food from the restaurant not so great and way too expensive for how bad it is.

Nice breakfast, tasty sausages. Nice swimming pool and spa.

• Double or Twin Room

Picture of the room is not what you get. Payed to stay in the castle was put in a lodge at side of castle. Food menu not up to much limited choice and very overpriced.

Nice surroundings.

• Double or Twin Room

Was very easy to get lost the hotel was like a maze, had gone for a quiet night away however there was a wedding going on so had loud music playing til after midnight so was very noisy in the room even though was on the third floor.

Really nice surroundings, nice area the castle looked really nice, really nice decore

• Double or Twin Room

bar area lacked atmosphere, no option to swim in morning for children (only stayed one night and nearly missed the afternoon before allocated children slot too as it finished at 5pm)

location, history, pool facilities and food in bistro

• Double or Twin Room

Building inside is scruffy some modern some old which doesn’t look right . Bar area very scruffy and strong smell of fish . No atmosphere or music . We booked for a quiet night away - quiet night was definitely not what we got there was an event at the hotel ( wedding or something similar ) which meant a live band played till after 1am right below our room and then noisy drunk people in the corridors till even later - I would not of booked this hotel if I knew there was going to be loud music until this time as it totally ruined the purpose of our trip . The bed was rock hard and a very small double meaning we were hanging off the edge of the bed most of the night .Our room also smelt like sewerage . Receptionist also would not of told us about use of leisure facilities if I had not of asked . Breakfast was remarkably average and luke warm . Definitely would not recommend this hotel for a relaxing break . The only thing we enjoyed was the swimming pool and jacuzzi other than that total waste of money and a rare chance to get away for a night !

• Double or Twin Room

Attentive staff who work hard to help you have a great stay. An interesting menu for evening meal in the restaurant which changes on a daily basis or a quick bite to eat in the bistro. Relaxing in the pool, working out in the gym or walking in the grounds, you can do them all here.

• Double or Twin Room

The bed and pillows were Avery hard in room 29. That was the one and only drawback.

Facility we’re great, Staff were great , really nice place to stay and great value for money.

• Double or Twin Room

The bacon at breakfast was like cardboard, hard, hot cardboard.

15 cars in the car park won't fill 40 rooms so I really fail to understand the logic of allowing any guest to occupy a room who's only view is of another bedroom window, exactly opposite and only a metre away and with a step ladder in between. That really should be the last room let and I suspect is saved for Booking.com guests as it's accessed via the backstairs. A great shame as otherwise it's a nice hotel. It';s worth noting that otherwise the room is great, clean, well appointed, good bed, tea,coffeee, wifi all good but the thing I remember most is opening my curtain to see the light on in the opposite window and hearing them talking.

• Double or Twin Room

Stunning property and grounds. Our room was beautiful, clean and comfortable. We found the leisure facilities to be of a very good standard, very clean and we'll maintained.

• Double or Twin Room

Whilst fully aware we were booking a three star hotel, the place is looking a little tired. There are many rooms not in the main building but in the extension at the back; two of these rooms are their allocated dog rooms and our room was very spacious. Dogs or no dogs, please try to advise guests they may not be in the main building. Hairs on bath tile surround from an average room clean, poor water pressure (shower) although we were given a satisfactory discount on check-out for these two issues. No ales on pump (in bottles), dated furniture in bar - ideally the open fire and the winged-back armchairs would be where you sit for a pint, not next to/opposite the reception desk! Please make the bar more inviting. If - in establishments such as this - you are not staying in the main building, but an extension, I think the rooms in these parts of the hotel should make up for this.

The hotel served its purpose for our trip. We were visiting friends in Hull who have a new baby and thought we'd bring the dog too. For this particular trip we wanted to stay outside Hull and the Cave Castle Hotel was booked. The grounds and breakfast are great. Friendly staff. They started accepting dogs as recently as beginning of Feb 2018 (last week). Great food and drink in the nearby Fox & Coney (dogs allowed in bar area where tables cannot be booked). Has restaurant too.

• Double or Twin Room

Slightly on the expensive side for evening dinner. Poor ( no ) view from bedroom window, although we did get the room at a generous discount.

Great setting, sympathetically refurbished to a very high standard. New carpets throughout, warm, cozy. Fantastic pool, sauna, Jacuzzi area. Lovey large modern room. Very friendly staff, fantastic breakfast all with top quality products. All you would expect from a castle setting from Knights armour to large carved Bavarian bears. Good golf club attached.

• Double or Twin Room

Light socket hanging down and bathroom looked a little tired had to chase down staff in the evening when ordering drinks

The room was large and bed comfortable

• Double or Twin Room

Dated decor, although classic old house and building, the decor was dated. Furniture dated as well. Disappointed with bathroom. On,y bath a difficult to work shower over bath. Lights outside shed through window all night.

Staff very pleasant.

• Double or Twin Room

Shower was cold on my last morning and wouldn't heat up. Decor downstairs was dated but suppose it's suited to the building.

Gym and pool are was excellent. Clean modern room. Wifi was brilliant.

I hadn't visited sooner!

We could not fault the property in any way. The food and room were first class and the staff were very helpful and friendly, we shall be returning!

• Double or Twin Room

Swim times for kids could of been on a wider spectrum, not as if the hotel was busy at this time of the year, we was told we were the only room to have kids staying over.

Rooms were large and spacious, beds comfy, food was nice

• Double or Twin Room

We really enjoyed our stay at the hotel. The staff were very welcoming and attentive. The spa treatments were excellent and the pool, jacuzzi and steam room were of a good standard. We were on a dinner, bed and breakfast rate. The food was great, breakfast had a large selection. I would highly recommend a stay at this hotel.

• Double or Twin Room

Everything was great, we will be returning.

Fantastic staff, couldn't have been more helpful. Fabulous breakfast. Amazing property, lots of atmosphere but bang up to date where it matters.

• Double or Twin Room

Food for private function that we booked wasn't very high standard.

Beds really comfy and staff friendly and very helpful. Delicious breakfast with lots of choice.

• Double or Twin Room

Messages not recieved( booking.com's fault) about a wedding happening while we stayed. The noise was terrible with drunken idiots throughout the early hours and hardly slept! Very disappointed!

Old features, beautiful surrounds and friendly staff

Leaving! :-)

Cave Castle hotel is a beautiful building with lovely features, spacious, spotless and well furnished rooms and fabulous food. There was plenty of parking space and despite the freezing temperatures the whole building was warm and welcoming. The leisure facilities were very good and we enjoyed using the on-site bistro too. However, the outstanding feature of the hotel for me was the staff! Every single member of staff that we spoke to was welcoming, friendly helpful and polite. From reception, bar staff, cleaners, waiting staff, leisure centre staff and outdoor worker...all were a credit to the hotel and themselves. Have already planned our next visit!

• Double or Twin Room

Breakfast was a little late and I wanted to get away. It was not great. The bacon was a bit tasteless and although other eggs were offered by a notice, only very insipid scrambled eggs were on the breakfast buffet.

The bed was very comfortable.

• Double or Twin Room

1000am breakfast cut off for a Saturday, perhaps a little early.

Staff reacted well to the room 18 which we rejected - odd smell - and offered a satisfactory alternative 109. Both slept well.

Check out was 10.30 - would have liked longer in this lovely place

A feeling of grandeur throughout - from the driveway to the reception to the bedrooms. Suitably furnished throughout & very comfortable. Great leisure facilities, good food, friendly/efficient staff.

• Double or Twin Room

Moved rooms without letting my know asked for a double got 2 singles pushed together left a day earlier due to the poor standard and sent an email to the property who have just ignored me

• Double or Twin Room

As a Lancastrian, that it was in Yorkshire!

Warmth of the staff, particularly in the breakfast room. Staff to customers very high and it showed in excellent service. Lovely building with very nice rooms. Great location near to motorway. And great value.