Reviews of Central Hotel Cheltenham by Roomsbooked

7 Portland Street, Cheltenham, GL52 2NZ, United Kingdom

#21 of 24 hotels in Cheltenham

• En Suite Double Room

Not very welcoming approach to the hotel, also parking not good.

Hotel was very convenient . Thought the hotel needed updating, very old. Carpets desperately need changing.

• En Suite Single Room

Nothing, staff were amazing, and went to great lengths to make my stay comfortable

This hotel has parking behind the hotel, very rare for Cheltenham, even at the Holiday Inn, one would have to pay for overnight parking.

• En Suite Single Room

Hot, cramped rooms, and unbelievably noisy. If you're looking for a hotel where you can't sleep a wink, this is definitely the place for you. I can't believe Booking.com even has this place listed.

The only thing I liked about this hotel was checking out of it

Everything was dreadful.

This hotel was nearly a vacation wrecker. The rooms are cramped and hot, there's no lift, and the bathrooms are smaller than airplane lavatories. There was no cold water in the shower so we had to clean up in the sink. Worst of all, a pub crawl ended right underneath the hotel so there was drunken revelry until 5 am right outside my window. Truly one of the worst places I've ever stayed. I'm not happy with Booking.com for even listing it among their properties, so I won't be using that website again in the future.

• En Suite Double Room

We were unable to open the sash window more than 6 inches due to s security device and had to prop the sash up with a glass. The only other thing was that the work top where the tea & coffee facilities where was sticky.

The external views front and back of the property are a little jaded . The Room was small but perfectly formed , the shower / toilet spotless .

• En Suite Twin Room

Very poor avoid this hotel we booked 3 twin rooms got to hotel to be told were being moved to a house rented by the hotel what a dump i would not of put a dog in there went back to hotel like magic 3 twin room were available.

• En Suite Single Room

It was a bit tired in places, and there was a big stain on the ceiling that looked like previous water damage.

Fantastic location, very comfortable bed, and unexpected facilities like a microwave, fridge, crockery and cutlery, along with a very clean albeit small shower room.

• En Suite Double Room

Car parking is hit and miss but we managed to get in and they were very accommodating to let us leave it and do a few hours shopping in morning. 10am check out just too early at least 22am.

• En Suite Double Room

Room was a bit dated and noise transferred from the corridor and front door

Great location and private on site parking which was a real bonus. Great Pub 40 yards up the road with live music Friday and Saturday night.

• En Suite Twin Room

That there were no photos of the front of the hotel in their pics should have been an indicator that this hotel wasn't what it was supposed to be. There was only street parking which would be hopeless on an average day (we stayed Sunday night). Not in the best part of town and a very noisy hotel on the corner nearby.

Staff were friendly and helpful.

Transferred to a different location was told it would be better and closer to the town obviously due to them overbooking, shower was cold as the boiler was banging luckily weather was ok so didn't need heating on, TV had satellite but some channels had no signal, other tenants above were noisy bashing around woke us up at 6am, taking empty recycling bottles out on a Sunday morning, no on site parking as detailed off road parking in residential area so lucky there was a space otherwise told to use public car park.

Bed was clean.

• En Suite Twin Room

Enjoyed the helpful welcome of the staff member together with his knowledge of the area. Also there is a great music pub just 2doors away called The Cotswold, run by a young woman called Natasha, Tash for short, and her Dad Freddie. The night I was there it was a Karaoke night and Tash has a brilliant voice. There are different music events at this pub every night. It should be noted that TV sport of any description is not shown at this pub...hooray!

• En Suite Twin Room

Rooms were dated. Room was absolutely boiling so had to have the window open, which helped a little but then you had to put up with noise till 4am! Beds not very comfy. Parking is extremely limited.

Location and price

• En Suite Double Room

The smell was tooooooo bad, all the room was fully with dust. Its located in the town center and very close to many pubs but at night it was too noisy and I found very hard to get a car park space. This hotel gave me a nightmare I coundn’t sleep at all. The bed was so smelly and so hard. The sofa seems have no clean at all. I woke up in the morning with bad headach. The light in the room was not enought to see anything. Overall poor!!!!

• En Suite Single Room

My room was the first as you come through the front door. I didn’t get a good nights sleep given the noise of people coming through all hours of the night. The reception is also opposite the room, meaning you could hear the phone ringing constantly and receptionist speaking on the phone.

The staff were very helpful and accommodating. Well located with NCP car park nearby.

• En Suite Twin Room

Absolutely terrible!!! This place is a joke, booked 3 twin rooms, when we arrived they told us we had been upgraded, they moved us to a 2 bedroom apartment with 5 beds, there were 6 of us, the appartment was also a 1 mile walk out of town we had all our bags, they said we could either walk or pay for a taxi ourselfes. The appartment was pretty horrible nothing really worked and one bathrrom between 6 isnt ideal. We complained but they said because we had used the toilet they wouldnt move us.

• En Suite Twin Room

as we only stayed for one night, there was nothing we found lacking

the room was comfortable as were the beds, and it was well equipped with crockery, cutlery etc:) ....

• En Suite Single Room

Bed not very comfortable. Room layout not very convenient. Bathroom rather stale smell and lacked decent towel rail or ledges to put things on.

Accessibility of car park

• En Suite Double Room

Damp up the walls, uncomfortable beds, there was a cockroach in one room, no WiFi. Horrendous overall and complete waste of money..

Nothing - it was a hole.

• En Suite Twin Room

The room is just a room with fridge and microwave. The advert suggested it has kitchen facilities but it didn’t have enough to make it self catering. A little confusing.

Very nice bathroom, location

• En Suite Twin Room

Just a simple thing!! Coffee table by sofa to put ones drinks and to watch telly!!!!! A few cushionstoo on sofa!!!! Only two coat hangers !!!

Central location

• En Suite Double Room

Receptionist at the time of check in was not helpful and gave us wrong address for the property. We had to wait for More then 30minutes in rain searching for property. Also, we booked for 3 double ensuite rooms however we were given an apartment with only 1 bathroom with 3 rooms. In addition, WiFi did not work.

• En Suite Single Room

The approach to the car park has huge potholes! I used my sat nav to find the car park and it sent me down bus lanes because apparently the one-way system has changed recently.

Very nice single room which was a good size. Excellent en-suite facilities, full-sized fridge. Friendly staff.

• En Suite Double Room

We had a really comfortable stay here. And like the name says, central to everything and in good walking distance! The rooms were clean, even had a microwave and fridge!

• En Suite Double Room

The key for the door was stiff & uneasy to operate. The bedside lamp had no working bulb. The bathroom is small & having a towel rail over the toilet wasn’t a pleasurable arrangement for me & resulted in a towel falling into the lavatory bowl. Unecessary high chest of drawers simply not needed for short stays & room would feel bigger without it.

The room was clean, tidy & smelled fresh.

• En Suite Single Room

Room needed updating very old style Staff need to be more aware of how there talking to the customer no Thankyou or goodbye when I checked out . Bathroom was clean but small Room was cold had to keep the radiator on

Situated locally to the main city centre and close to where I was working . Bed was made twice didntvexpect it very nice

• En Suite Double Room

The toilet seat didn't fit the toilet so you had to hold the toilet seat up. There was damp on the walls with paint coming off, damp in the bathroom. If you're looking for some privacy, this is not the place. We had staff knock on our door about 4-5 times throughout our stay. Also, you may aswell forget about the parking because they barely have space for 4 cars.

Came with a kitchenette which I wasn't expecting. Good location.

• En Suite Double Room

A really low budget hotel and you get what you pay for, it reminded me of a kind of hotel that you would hire the room for a hour or so with a cheap brass if you get my meaning, groty and seedey,

• En Suite Double Room

Thought it was rather expensive especially as there was no breakfast included but I realise that I was lucky to get a room in Cheltenham at the beginning of the Cheltenham Gold Cup Festival. The bathroom was rather cold, it was fully tiled and there was no heating. There was no bathmat so I had to use the hand towel instead. Although it was a double room there was only one chair

Staff were lovely. Room clean and tidy and location was excellent, just behind the High Street and near to all facilities. Hotel was surprisingly quiet. It was useful to have a full size fridge and a very good microwave

• En Suite Double Room

Parts of the hotel were rather dated. As it's central and cheap, it attracted 'lads out on the town' on Saturday night, and the thin doors and layout of the hotel meant it was quite noisy.

It was clean, cheap and cheerful. Good location for central Cheltenham and we got parked in the small car park. Great to have a fridge

• En Suite Double Room

Bulbs not working in both bedside lamps on arrival & bed matress is a little thin/cheap feeling.

Room was warm on arrival, clean & smelled nice. Shower temp & tv reception was good.

• En Suite Single Room

1. Staff made me wait 15 minutes while they worked out if I had a reservation - training need. 2. Damp on the ceiling 3 poor shower 4 Tiny room for your money 5. I was told Parking was outside hotel down an ally way (not guaranteed to get a space (easy to get lost on 1 way system. In the end I paid £10 at a long stay car park. 6 thin walls - I awoke to a hotel phone constantly ringing a 6 in the morning 7. Tea and coffee facility's without spoons or mugs. 8. No signal on most tv channels. 9. Uncomfortable bed 10. Need I go on????

Not a lot.

• En Suite Double Room

Wi-fi poor on top floor Reception area and corridors not upto spec of bedrooms No breakfast offered

Comfy bed Clean fresh en suite Fridge in room was handy

• En Suite Double Room

Everything we liked bout the room...so clran & adequet for the two of us

The layout of the room waa really nice.drink facilities were amazing.the cleanness of the room was amazing

• En Suite Double Room

Where shall I start. I was in hospital in Cheltenham with heart attack. My partner who had barely slept for 48 hours worried out of his mind about me. Was greeted by cold, rude staff with no moral decency or compassion for what was going on in his life that day. We booked the room so he could stay close by the hospital. What a mistake. He was discriminated against as he looked a bit deshevilled as he been hanging around in hospital with me for 48 hours he was not looking his best. They treated him like some drug addict off the streets. He had to make several journeys to and from hospital 1st for passport 2nd for card . When he was in the room trying to relax a staff member let themselves into his room and demanded a card for 100 deposit which was not stated in the booking. He was threatened with police when he was just stating that nothing on booking about 100 deposit accused of being aggressive. He is not an aggressive person he was tired frustrated worried and they got it all wrong . It was like the staff were out to victimise him . One staff told im with a smirks you not getting your deposit back. He left the room immaculately slept on the bed and didn’t use he shower he turned up at the hospital next morning with tears in his eyes saying it felt like he was being bullied, felt so unwelcome. I’m still in hospital and to be honest don’t need the stress all I was trying to do was keep my loved one nearby.

Room was ok

• En Suite Double Room

The shower facilities were poor. The shower only had one temperature as when it was on the dial became immovable. The shower basin was also clearly blocked so it steadily filled up as I showered, therefore I only had the time in which the basin took to fill up to shower. Any longer and water would have gone everywhere. There are also no bedside tables so you have to put things like phones or water on the floor next to the bed.

Having a microwave and a fridge was really useful.

everything

it should not be advertised as a hotel it was more like a poor student bedsit. police were trying to get into the room below us and some residents were obviously living there think it was a half way house for released prisoners. and people on bail. Never stayed in a hotel where they want a copy of a driving license or bank card to prove we have stayed there.

• En Suite Double Room

i booked 2 rooms one for me and my partner and one for my friend and her hubby but when we arrived we all had to share 2 bedroom apartment and wasnt told this when i booked so i would advise to check this out when booking. Lucky neither of us minded but could be awkward for some!!! But the place was clean and comfortable just as well.

was well equipped and comfortable beds and warm not to far from town center

• En Suite Single Room

The place was not clean when I came nor was cleaned during my stay. After extending my stay due to work my employer moved me to a different job up north . The duty manager claimed he will help me get a refund if I sent an email . After sending the email i got conned in leaving and no refund was given . He claimed he’ll give me a transfer of stay at another hotel within certain areas which never happened as a worst case scenario . No refund given and the staff were unprofessional in dealing with situation .

Location was ok for food

• Family Room (3 Adults)

It was freezing in our room and when we went to turn the radiator on it started leaking badly! There was also a big wet patch on our floor when we arrived and it stayed like that until we left, so could have been something to do with the leaking radiator if the people that were in the room previously had the heating on. We didn't try to get it sorted as we got in from a night out around 4:30am so as you can imagine we just wanted to go to bed! We were FREEZING. Also there was part of the wall/ ceiling coming away from the wall. It was good for a place to crash after a night out, but please SORT THE HEATING OUT. It was so warm in the corridors but like an ice box in our room!

Beds were comfy, seemed clean, nice bathroom.

• En Suite Single Room

The WC/shower ventilation persisted quite a long time, only a problem at night. The only view from the window was the back of another wing of the building.

Good sized room, comfortable bed. No disturbances. Staff extremely helpful, and always there. Close to amenities in the centre of Cheltenham.

• En Suite Double Room

The carpets around the hotel were very old, and needed some cleaning.

Bed was very comfortable, room was well laid out and the staff were very friendly.

• En Suite Single Room

Staff were not very helpful I had to wait almost 1/2hr in front of the property to gain access after calling 3 times. There wasn’t even an apology at the end. Shower facility was also not the best electric shower had to walk from my room to the shower across communal corridor with only my towel on. Also no mixer taps on the sinks Bed sheet is for children use not adults

WiFi was excellent!!

• En Suite Double Room

The decor of the reception area and communal hallways is a bit dated. I think a face lift would really improve the overall feel of the hotel. No breakfast facilities

Very convenient location and quiet room

• Family Room (3 Adults)

There was a bit of a draft coming in the room. Possibly would benefit from having a long mirror in there

All round good can’t complain for the price we paid ... we stayed for one night in a family room. Clean and tidy

• Family Room (3 Adults)

1. Family room (19) had no privacy in the bathroom due to the broken venetian blind that did not work, I was moved to a double room (20) - my family moved to another hotel as they were very upset and distressed. 2. When I returned alone to room 20 in the evening it had no heating, there was a radiator control but did not work - temperature outside was at freezing point with windscreens on cars outside thickly iced up, needless to say I was very cold. 3. TV remote was present but did not work so had no TV to watch. 4. Bed mattress was sunken in the middle so did not sleep well. 5. Extractor in bathroom did not work. 6. The room was in fact quite basic, with the exception of the bathroom. All these points were shown to the receptionist ( Sabina) when I checked out next morning. I don't complain about many things but on this occasion my family's post Xmas weekend in Cheltenham turned out to be very upsetting and distressing for us and a total disappointment apart from a waste of our money.

Very helpful staff

Very dim lighting.

Very comfortable beds and a bonus having a bath as well as a shower! Useful having a fridge in the room with some crockery and cutlery as well as tea/coffee facilities, which made having breakfast easy especially with an M&S food hall nearby. Great location, and with on site parking there was no need to use the car as everything was within walking distance.

• En Suite Twin Room

Nothing the hotel could have influenced. The one-way system in Cheltenham is a nightmare, if one misses the turn-off to the back street car park retracing one's route involves a very long detour.

The room was clean and spacious, beds were comfortable, staff very helpful. Location in central Cheltenham is really good. Off street car-park is valuable but requires some care when parking.

• En Suite Single Room

Mattress was uncomfortable, head of the bed right next to door, which in turn was next to the front door and reception so could hear staff and guests and see lights, so could disturb light sleepers/ nervous travellers.

Bathroom was clean and modern, plugs near mirror, fridge, microwave, and hairdryer

• Suite (4 Adults)

We arrived at 5.00.p.m. on Christmas Day, check in was excellent, directions to apartment clear. On arrival the apartment was freezing, and took a while to heat up. Cooking facility good, Twin room good size, bathroom clean. We went to see family and got back just after midnight to make up the bed settee, only to find that the legs on the double settee were broken, my husband then had to spend the night on the floor. The single bed settee was fine. Disappointed that this had not been checked prior to our arrival.

• En Suite Single Room

The room did smell a bit funny but it was clean which is the main thing.

I didnt have great expectations of staying here after reading reviews online. However it was fine. Very central, clean and it suited my needs for a cheap hotel room in Cheltenham. Dont get me wrong, I wouldnt stay here for a Romantic weekend away but as a stop over on my own it was fine!

• En Suite Twin Room

No heating in room - had to fetch (really small and ineffective) heater myself from reception where they remembered to tell us that the boiler had broken. They apparently hadn't thought to warm the room before guests arrived. Toilet dripped throughout night but if that hadn't kept us awake there was the dishwasher coming on in an adjacent room to help. Ground floor room with no blinds or nets so no privacy unless curtains closed. Altogether a miserable experience.

It was relief to check out

• En Suite Double Room

Blinds in the bathroom were broken and falling apart. As they covered a clear window ( not obscured glass) meant everyone could see in when in the shower or on toilet. In the middle of the night there was hot water running from both sink taps. Not great for a drink!! Room was small and hotel seemed to cater for back packers or students and hotel was run by young students. Pleasant as they were.

We were moved into an apartment, with a double room and a twin room. I was travelling with my wife, my sister and a friend who had not met my sister before. So he had to go and book into the Queens Hotel in a single room, to allow my sister to have the twin room. Why was I not asked with whom I was making the booking for ??. I originally booked a double room and 2 single rooms !

kitchen was a bonus

• En Suite Double Room

The worst hotel I’ve ever stayed in and I’m also a hotel owner . The room had holes in the wall the shower had no hot water and pipes hanging off the wall. The room had an awful smell and the bed matrice tilted to one side and was very uncomfortable . The bed clothes had cigarette burns . Flimsy plastic cups to drink hot coffee out of . Complained and switched room which was a little better but the matrice was still awful

• En Suite Double Room

Odd to have to phone in advance to give full details of each guest and for photo I.D. to be required on arrival. The hotel is shabby. The public areas need redecoration and some of the carpets are long past their replacement date. The room furniture is basic. However this is a budget hotel: the room rate is less than a third of the cost of the upper echelon of Cheltenham hotels and our room was warm and clean. There was plenty of hot water in the shower and the receptionists were welcoming. We would use this hotel again.

The price: for the nights we stayed the cost was exactly the same as at a YHA hostel room for two. The location: just as close to the centre as the more expensive Cheltenham hotels.

• En Suite Double Room

The stair carpet needs replacing as it doesn’t smell very nice and gives a terrible impression.

I was pleasantly surprised. Reading the reviews before i arrived I expected a real dump. However it was fine. It was clean and comfortable. We had everything we needed and for the price it was brilliant. Location was excellent. Parking is limited but there is plenty nearby anyway.

• En Suite Double Room

The whole hotel was in dire need of an update, the room was not as bad as the reception. Carpets filthy and stains everywhere , girls very poorly dressed!!!!!

the bed was comfy,

• En Suite Single Room

Nothing. It was quite central to where i needed to be

They gave me a free upgrade, Staff was amazing an friendly, they even let me leave my car in the car park after checking out. Room was ultra clean (not what i expected) only down fall is i though there was a DVD player. but that don't take away from a 5* rating

• En Suite Double Room

I pulled up in the car park, although the joining email did not give you the road it was actually in. My partner had to ask a member of staff to join her in her car to direct her to the car park. I started walking around the block to the front entrance as the only signage was 'Do not park in front of this fire escape'. The sign 'rear entrance' would avoid this confusion completely. The room had a double bed, but was really a single room. It suffered from a lack of chest of drawers which is really core furniture. The reception staff had little local knowledge. Also on Saturday evening at 1800 I reported to reception, and took with me, the duvet cover as it was soiled. Was disgusted to return at 2330 to find the replacement had not been fitted. Due to a lack of an internal 'phone to reception, we had to visit and get it replaced. The Night receptionist agreed that this service was unacceptable. Would not return as overpriced at £100 for one nighter.

Free wifi

• Suite (5 Adults)

Shower didn't work. Didn't get explained where the property actually was. Chewing gum under the bed. Freezing cold in apartment when we first arrived. Missing bed slats under one bed so friend fell through bed.

• En Suite Double Room

Disgusted by the room. The Heating and Hot Water did not work. There was also a Cracked window which not only had a Draft but was also Dangerous. Extremely Disappointed.

Checking out and Leaving

• En Suite Double Room

The place was shabby overall. The bedroom window was cracked, and the heating wasn’t working properly. For £100 a night, you shoul be able to afford proper cups- not just plastic ones.

Getting to the hotel was difficult because of the one way system, but street parking was OK, and the location was central. There was plenty of hot drink making materials and biscuits in the room.

• En Suite Single Room

The room was very small though adequate for a one-night stay - the en-suite bathroom was absolutely minute with no room to swing a cat ( or bath-towel ) though. ( Shower tiling could do with freshening-up. ). I guess the girl who checked me in was a student working part time - she admitted she was new and apologised for not knowing the answer for a couple of simple questions ( where's my room ? & do I need a late key ? ). Most disappointing was the lack of any breakfast provision - other than a fridge and microwave in the room - which I didn't spot until I'd completed my no-refund booking.

The Central Hotel is, indeed, Central so handy for everything Cheltenham has to offer .......... except the station which is anything but central ! ( and the racecourse, of course )

• Suite (4 Adults)

The staff didn’t seem to have any common sense, putting us on the top floor of accommodation that didn’t have lifts, with an elderly person! When there was a First floor apartment available! Sending out a new member of staff who didn’t know where our accommodation was, we walked around for 15minutes trying to find accommodation in the rain. I thought we were in the hotel we had booked for not elsewhere! Looking for accommodation at 8.30pm/9pm in the dark when we were tired from travelling all day was outrageous! Especially with my 85 year old father in tow!

• En Suite Twin Room

I was lucky to be able to pull up right outside the hotel and get excellent directions from reception staff on how to find the car park. Because of the vagaries of Cheltenham's one-way system, it's not easy to find! I can see why the curtains were pulled when I arrived. In the morning I discovered the windows... boy do they need sorting!

This is a superb choice for a single night, low cost option. It's bang in the centre of the town, so really convenient. My room (4), which had 3 single beds was spacious and excellent value for a single traveller.

• En Suite Twin Room

Described as a 'self-catering' room but very limited crockery, no sink to wash up in other than the bathroom washbasin, and no table at which to eat or work. Fridge noisy and not very effective. Cheap furniture with drawers that fell apart if pulled out.

Beds quite comfy. Free parking if you get in early.

• En Suite Twin Room

Ridiculously expensive, everything was done to the cheapest standard yet cost the earth. Very basic, very disappointed, will definately not be staying again

easy access to centre of Cheltenham

• En Suite Double Room

Every element is dreadful. Not worth staying in at any price.

Nothing. Having travelled most of the world. This is a dreadful example of a hotel anywhere. There is nothing to commend it. It is dirty and uncomfortable. Staff are pleasant but helpless. There is no manager apparent.

• En Suite Single Room

At 1.30am water started dripping from the ceiling ( was dripping and making noise for one hour probably, the big coloured mark was there already when I have got to the room so it must have happened before..... did not sleep after because of of the noise, needed to wake up at 4am to catch the bus to the airport in London.

In the centre

• En Suite Twin Room

No one contacted me asking me if I would like an upgrade. No parking at the hotel had to pay for ncp. Apartment didn't have heating and was on the ground floor down a side street and the single glazed windows allowed all the noise from the street to come in so made it hard to sleep. The bathroom radiator was also hanging off the wall. Apartment door was also hard to unlock!!!

Comfy beds. Free upgrade to an apartment

The 10am check out, but they do a later check for £15 extra

The location is nice to go into town for anything and not to far from the leisure centre for tournaments or fitness session

• En Suite Single Room

The sofa was a pull out bed settee which was covered in faux leather that was peeling off and uncomfortable to sit on. One of the beds needed the mattress to be turned and it had a body shaped dint in it, would have like a hot bath but the system was not good enough to fill the bath with hot water.

The booking was 2 single rooms and we were upgraded to a flat, which was great, the flat was clean, well decorated and clean, For a one night stay it was very good

• En Suite Double Room

Needs better sound proofing. Drunk people coming in at 3am arguing over KFC woke us up!

Excellent location, comfy room comfy bed. Excellent facilities.

• En Suite Double Room

The hotel is nothing like the pictures. The property is in very poor condition - carpets are covered in stains and the furniture needs replacing. I’ve sent images of the room i was staying in to bookings.com which are nothing like the images on the website. I tried to get a refund within a few minutes of arriving so I could stay elsewhere. I’ve tried uploading the photos on here but won’t work.