Reviews of Chartridge Lodge 3 stars

Chartridge Lane, Chesham, HP5 2TU, United Kingdom

#2 of 2 hotels in Chesham

6.1

• Reviewed: 20 September 2018

overall okay but wouldn't go again

Disappointed to have to pay extra to check out at 10.30 instead of 9.30. £10 an hour seems eccessive. Carpet in room was stained and looked like it needed replacement.

Staff were very helpful and cheery. Facilities were adequate if a little worn and tired. Surrounding areas are lovely.

Poor quality of rooms, damp, no hot water and poor follow through of request made for fru

I arrived to find the fruit I had requested (because I am a diabetic) had not been supplied as agreed on the telephone on booking so the receptionist collected fruit and some more milk because I had been given only one milk for my hot drinks. I did not like the two single rooms allocated initially because there was no hot water in the bathroom. Once upgraded to a double room I was disappointed by the poor quality pillows and the poor quality mattress where I could feel the springs. The bath had been fitted poorly because when I showered the water leaked out of the shower end because the bath was not level so it leaked where the screen did not fit the bath. The breakfast did not measure up to a table service in a hotel with a cafetiere, curled butter and brown toast with grains. There was no low sugar Alpen and initially when the waitress refilled the bread in there was no brown bread supplied. On checking out the receptionist knew about my poor experience but she did not offer an apology and did say the maintenance men had been alerted to the non-existent water in the rooms. In the first two rooms there was signs of damp on the shelves near the shower and dirty toilets.

The receptionist was helpful when I fed back I needed to get hot water in my room to have a shower. Melissa helped me to change rooms not once but twice due to the second room also not having hot water in the room in the LEA. I was taken to an upgraded room in the lodge which had a Triton shower. The room had solid floors which was an improvement on the LEA. I had a continental breakfast with small croissant and standard Alpen.

Could of been so much better...

When we booked the hotel we made a note on the reservation that this is our anniversary stay. We were allocated to the lovely cottage room but we soon found out that the calling was probably 100 years old and we could hear every step of guests who had their bedroom above us!!! They were probably attending the wedding as they were waking us up the whole night starting from 2 all the way up to 5am! Restaurant was shut due to the wedding but instead of letting us know that with some information about local restaurants in hand we had to go and ask where could we eat as no one bothered to do this extra mile and have some information as soon as we arrived considering that hotel was aware that it was our romantic weekend away.

Very clean room with lots of character. Lovely surroundings.

Fine location but could have been so much better for dining!

Clearly geared towards venues and conference facilities which we were expecting although it was very quiet during our short visit. The dining facilities were very poor for weekday stop overs and far from comfortable. Clearly geared towards tradesmen and run with limited staff. The staff did their best for us in the circumstances. Having said that the breakfast arrangements were surprisingly good and the dining room very light and comfortable. We believe that the Lodge is missing a trick here, as some guests were trying to eat evening meals on small bar tables to avoid the sparse dining room facilities with a large TV showing sports for the worker guests! The breakfast room was far more comfortable and was empty and not used for evening meals, a totally missed market in our opinion.

Peace and quiet due to the excellent semi rural location. Staff courteous and pleasant. Pleasant light decor with plenty of space to move around. Car parking excellent and checkout easy and smooth. We loved the setting.

Overpriced and underdelivered

The price is well over the quality of the facilities; the room was dated, small and it was a good thing to only be staying there for one night

The location was ideal for the wedding we were attending

Unlikely to return.

Very difficult to find. It was more a conference centre than a country hotel. The water in the shower was tepid. Didn't have the energy to tell the staff because we had arrived exhausted after a long journey at about 10pm. One of the floorboards at the end of the bed was sagging; possibly broken. Light switch by the bed didn't appear to be connected to anything.

The members of staff on reception were pleasant when we arrived. They had guided us, over the phone, to find our way to the hotel. Bed comfortable.

Simple, beautiful and relaxing. It's what anyone wishes for a break.

Some improvements might be possible in the bathroom: when you take a shower, it spills on the floor whether the glass screen is fixed or not (at least in the room where I stood); The possibility of dining to be more flexible than now (ordering meals throughout the day and not just in the specified schedule); I hope for loyal customers to have a discount.

It was very beautiful as location and tranquility, a perfect oasis of relaxation. The park and the garden are extraordinary. Serving almost irreproachable, very serviced.

nice hotel, lovely location, lovely staff.

we were kindly upgraded to a superior double room, it wasn't that superior. the bed was two twin beds, ( although large singles ) pushed together. the room was on the small side for a superior. we were woken early in the morning by the continuous noise of other guests showering because of noisy pumps located near our room. Also, there is a noisy fire door by room 85 that bangs loudly when open and shut, that also disturbed us. we couldn't find how to operate the bedside lights. but still managed to get a good nights sleep.

staff, especially at breakfast on sunday morning were exceptionally helpful. the lady in the light blue shirt went beyond our expectations to get us some more lovely coffee.

Comfortable room in lovely location

I felt that 85 for a single room with no breakfast was quite pricey... And the corridors are squeaky social was woken early by the housekeeping staff

It was clean and comfortable with good facilities

Good location but premises are rather worn. Excellent breakfast.

The room and bathroom were rather worn. Although we had a large bed, there was only a bedside light to one side of the bed. We obviously had two twins pushed together and you could feel the join down the middle of the bed. There should have been a thicker matress pad over the top so you couldn't feel the ridge. The toilet was very clean but badly stained due to age.

Excellent location. Quiet with lovely grounds. Excellent breakfast and very nice to have tea and coffee in the room.

Pleasant room but uncomfortably hot!

We had a wedding locally at midday so couldn’t check in until approximately 9.30pm. It had been a very hot day and when we arrived in the room it was very hot. All of the windows were closed and the radiators were warm to touch. There was a fan in the room but it took a long time to cool down and be able to sleep. We felt that as the weather was very hot that the windows should have been left open

Lovely room, great location

We were only booked in for one night at Chartridge Lodge on...

We were only booked in for one night at Chartridge Lodge on our drive over to Suffolk. We found the staff to be very accommodating but the rooms were in need of updating.

• Reviewed: 27 July 2018

Nice location, lovely staff shame there was no food

Room was small, bathroom a bit dated. There were events all weekend and the restaurant was closed except for breakfast, we failed to find a good restaurant which rather spoiled the weekend experience. The venue is popular for events so the Saturday night was very expensive and no food.

Staff were very good, polite obliging. Breakfast was good but we thought it was expensive.

Staff friendly and helpful

Unfortunately ventilation did not appear to be working in bathroom but stayed during very hot weather Would prefer a more powerful shower! Although booked for 2 adults only one bath towel in bathroom but staff soon rectified this. Small point but little things matter!...toilet roll holder needed refixing to wall. Breakfast ...prefer a stronger cup of coffee

Staff friendly and helpful Good sized room and generous sized bed Although dated building it was clean and tidy Pleasant grounds and appreciated the outside seating areas Location was ideal for access to 3 day cricket game at Chesham Cricket Ground

Good for a wedding.

Overpriced by booking.com, needs some updating, tired and worn out units and no air con, really expensive bar £3.50 for a pint of diet coke!

Good for a wedding..

Quiet location.

Poor pillows. Uncomfortable. Notice saying do not drink tap water: bottled water should have been provided. No internal lock or chain on door. Shower temperature too high. Hot weather, so no cold water.

Quiet location. Option to upgrade room. Helpful staff.

It’s situated beautifully in calm surrounding.

what made the rating low was that it was unbearably hot. We had a fan but that didn’t help. You could only open one little window a bit.

It’s situated beautifully in calm surrounding. Everyone was really friendly and helped out.

The room was fine.

The restaurant wasn't open in the evenings - you had to eat by the bar which is some distance away from where the food was prepared. Staff carried plates of food from the kitchen to the bar uncovered. This is totally unacceptable in the best of times, but even more so in hot weather with flies flying about. Food for room service left outside another guests room and I overheard him complaining that there was a fly on his food. He sent it back of course but not good food hygiene practice.

The food was very presentable and was nice but my cesar salad was made from inferior ingredients ie salad cream and no parmesan cheese!

Good

Weren't able to print a receipt to get expenses back on reception. Though manager extremely helpful would go again

Breakfast well cooked and the personal repoire with a waiter was pleasant too. Some hotels are going completely self service with no front line other than the chef? Ridiculous

Disappointing and never to be repeated.

Room badly dated and worn out, but toilet and bed sheets were clean. Shower was dreadful. Terrible smell on entry to cottage and no idea why a filthy mop would have been left on display. Took ages to check in and it wasn't much of a warm welcome. Chose to eat out after enquiring about food and getting the feeling that it would be much preferred if we did! A soul less and run down establishment charging almost as much as far better hotels. Suspect it survives due to its location and no other close competition plus the amount of contractors who were checking in.

Location and ability to open bedroom windows.

Not as expected lots of areas of the hotel need money spending on them,

Room was tired/dated, woken at 04:30 by the constant banging of a door beneath our room which appeared to be the kitchen door so have to assume staff going in & out let it bang, room overlooked a small courtyard area which doubles as a smoking area so expect the cigarette smell to enter your room if you have the windows open

Room facilities were as expected

Very comfortable hotel with good food with easy access to the sights in and around Buckinghamshire

The room was not cleaned on one day.

Very nice hotel, lovely grounds, breakfasts were excellent, the evening meals were bar meal type food but really good. Very nice grounds

Great location and good value for money.

No cold water on a hot day, plus poor ventilation/no air con to cope with hot weather Also no tissues and it’s hayfever season

The breakfast had good choice The location was great for exploring the area

Disappointing. It was an anniversary. Restaurant unavailable, if known would have gone elsewhere

Having asked if we needed to book for an evening meal , the receptionist failed to say it was it open that evening. When asked for directions to the restaurant we were sent in the opposite direction which turned out to be the bar. We were advised to dress smartly when booking and found ourselves being offered a meal in the bar where someone had football on. Hardly what we had expected. Young girl in bar was very pleasant and hard working

Building

Diasappointing.

Staff on reception seemed uninterested in anything. Four ordered food, two came out ten minutes before other two. Vegetarian curry was all green beans. We did complain and was told it was noted, waiter very apologetic. Rooms very hot not all windows could be opened as stuck up with old paint.

Bed comfy

Appalling on all accounts

Upon arriving at Chartridge lodge my impression was not great. The reception was not occupied by staff and there was no bell to ring. When someone eventually showed up, who I believe was the manager, there was no greeting but rather, a stance of - right who's next. I asked if the reception/manager could phone me a taxi, which seemed like a further inconvenience to which the reply was, "I'll call one when you're ready." A better answer would have been, "what time would you like to be picked up." I asked for a phone number as I felt it would be better to organise this myself. When going to my room, it was a huge disappointment. The image of the room which I chose on Booking.com which sold the room, was in no way similar to what I was given. I immediately returned to reception to make the manager aware that there may have been a mistake. The manager said "we can't photograph all rooms but we do have a photographer visiting shortly." I wanted to say how is this my problem. I asked to be given the room that I had ordered. The manager said that this was not available and that my room was one of the best. I returned to the room disappointed but with a tight schedule to keep, I telephoned the local taxi firm that was suggested. With a wait time of over an hour, I telephoned reception to find an alternative. Nobody answered. I eventually after some ringing around managed to get something booked. Just to focus briefly on the room. The decor is serious outdated and looked like it had been furnished with the same kind of furniture you would find in a nursing home or hospice. Not what was advertised. Something that I found a little odd and disconcerting was that there was no internal lock to provide that piece of mind that someone isn't going to walk in to your room in the middle of the night.

The bathroom was basic but functional and on the plus side the water pressure was excellent.  I also found the bed to be very comfortable.

lovely and relaxed

the room didnt have much air circulation but was provided with fans in the room which helped the shower was great once you turned the stiff handle to start it

the staff were very friendly and helpfull

We could not use the bar because of another funttion. The rooms and hotel was very hot. The landscape gardens were unkempt overgrown and in places strewn with kitchen rubbish, black bin bags and baked bean tins, even if that was foxes it should be cleaned up. The mattress in our room and other family members were very uncomfortable cheap!! No wouldn’t recommend this hotel. The night porter, was insistent we could not use the bar and also moaned how exhausted he was! Really!! We had a two day stay the second night we didn’t bother even asking about the bar. We went to bed only to be woken by other guests smoking and beingvery load till the early hours of the morning. Surely the hotel is responsible to ensure that dispruptive guests are asked to keep the noise down.

Breakfast was good. Parking plenty.

Would return.

It obviously needs maintenance in places.

The lodge is in a quiet, rural location hence the rooms were quiet, which we like. The room was adequate and fair for the price. It was clean and comfortable. We had breakfast which was pretty average although it wasn't expensive. We were near to the finish time and food was depleted. They were hosting a wedding that weekend and the room looked fantastic. The grounds are beautiful and well kept. Overall we were pleased.

The food and service were good.

Tiny tv. Not enough ventilation and the room was tiny .

The food and service were good. Bed was very hard and uncomfortable. Shower was very difficult to operate but once it got started was good.

Surprised by the smallness of the shower.

We had room 45 and unless you are exceptionally skinny then you will struggle to shower in something that has about the same size as a coffin. Really! very small shower, difficult to move in. Whatever you do check that the rooms have showers bigger than room 45...

Nice area, nice gardens.

Very poor bar meal

Dinner was appalling. A burger came with caked on, bitter-tasting charcoal - as if the griddle was dirty. It went back. Next "eggs, ham and hand cut chips". The chips were out of a freezer bag.

Good reception staff.

Visting re parade, overnite stay, lovely location and setting

Wish the bar dining room had a bit more character as per the bar itself

Location, setting, grounds, helped Father in law who was disabled with room (although this was done on line with message, but when arrived didn't seem to know of message, however it was sorted straight away

Great place to stay if you don't need to access the internet.

Second time I've stayed here and been unable to access the internet. This is a real problem for me as I like to be able to do work online and a reason why I would book somewhere else instead.

Lovely quiet location

Nice grounds

Internet does not work if not staying in main building no restraunt just a very. Small bar serving food short of staff

In lovely grounds. Nice breakfast served ito table in midweek buffet at weekend

Not great.

The rooms and associated facilities are very tired(!) and the whole place could really do with a general overhaul. Unfortunately, a previous occupant of the room I was allocated had clearly suffered somewhat of a toilet related accident on the armchair in the corner of the room (the kind that leaves a dark mark). Clearly hadn't been spotted by cleaning.....need I say more....I was not impressed, (and apologies if you're eating!). Conclusion = Won't be returning out of choice.... plenty of other places around the area that simply offer much better value for money.

If I could take a positive from the stay its the staff, food is OK, and the grounds are,..well, really rather good!

Overall, was an enjoyable short stay

Room size was on the smaller size and didn't have trouser press or iron/ironing board as advertised (room 65). Funnily though was meeting up with family and the other 3 rooms they had (1 Deluxe , 1 Standard double & 1 'small double') were all considerably larger and much nicer than ours, however after saying that, our room was ok and comparable to other Hotels we have stayed in the past.

Breakfast was good, nice ambiance in Bar and other public areas

Overall I was satisfied but could have been much better

The service was very inconsistent, the bar meals ranged from quite good to poor. The bar man kept disappearing and we had to keep looking for him. The breakfast was excellent.

I booked with 6 other members of my family. The rooms were of a very different standard. My was very good, however 2rooms were not as as good.

Service at reception was above and beyond - my wife had a...

Service at reception was above and beyond - my wife had a dress disaster and the lady on reception managed to locate a sewing kit so we could sort it before the wedding we were attending!

Very basic, look elsewhere

very narrow staircases, dark, no lifts, staff very unhelpful and would not offer to take our bags. Old and worn out and furniture. No air con not even a fan in the room. Extractor fan in bathroom was broken. Shower was a dribble. Toilet shredder was noisy at night. Floorboards incredibly creaky and some of the doors would hit you. Breakfast was very overpriced for what it was. Ironing boards had holes in it and left marks on my clothes, unidentifiable marks on the wall. Would not go back

Bed was comfortable although it was two singles pushed together. Was a nice sauna and a small mediocre gym. Some kettle bells and dumbells would have been helpful. The bar was cosy although a better selection would be an improvement. They insisted that it be put on the room which can be annoying when trying to check out quickly. Spacious car park.

Very relaxing and enjoyable

Friendly staff. Lovely room did have to change room as there was a annoying noise but this was done immediately with no problem at all and the seconds room was really lovely.

Not a very enjoyable stay. The receptionist did not ask us if we enjoyed our stay wonder why ?

On entering our room the first impression was very good but as soon as we started walking across the floor it started bouncing which made the wardrobe move and creak,we do realise the building was old but the floor needs attention. The carpets where stained and the room was very cold. Never mind there was a oil filled radiator in the wardrobe we could use. We Read the menu in the room and went down to dine at 18.20 ordered steak but they had run out after 20 minutes ? and they said the menu,s in the room where old ones so we ordered beef burger they had run out ? wife not impressed, so i ordered Fish and chips the batter was nice but the fish was not very nice and chips not very tasty. We had friends that came to see us glad of that, but they shut the bar at 10pm.

The staff where very helpful, and the property was idyllic set in nice grounds, first impressions was very good.

Property was lovely with beautiful country views, room was a...

We arrived and needed to eat unfortunately menu was limited as most things had gone off the menu. Breakfast was early 7-9 and had to check out before 9.30 so quite restricted on times we were told it's because it's a conference centre and they need a quick turnaround so wouldn't recommend for a family relaxing stay. Though place was a little tired looking and the shower was only a trickle was an ok stay.

Property was lovely with beautiful country views, room was a good size and the staff couldn't have been more helpful 😊

Was a reasonable stay but not what we hoped for due to the wedding

We weren’t informed that there was a private function, therefore the bar was out of use. Carpet was stained. Window was smashed Room was roasting hot, fan was small and exceptionally dusty, blowing dust round the room. No plug socket by mirror to plug in hairdryer

The grounds were lovely and picturesque.

Won't be going THERE again!

Very tired decor - old fashioned facilities - very restricted Fire Escape route - no Air Con - stained carpets/furniture - no arragements for evening meal on Sunday - room with unpleasant outlook and no alternative available. All attention appeared to be directed towards Wedding & Guests and no account taken of those not involved.

Location - in beautiful grounds.

A bit disappointing

The room we were given was NOTHING like the pictures on booking.com. I asked to move and was given a better but not amazing room. The tv was broken. We reported it. No attempt was made to fix it all weekend.

The breakfast was great. The staff were very friendly.

need a car to get about breakfast very good

nothing was happy with are stay

you need a car to get to the town but buses do come along past the hotel when booking pictures shows the the old part of the hotel but we stayed in the new part of hotel

Lovely comfortable stay

Thought a continental breakfast could be included, toast and cup of tea, would be great

Very helpful, I did not have breakfast included, but it could be added, the staff were very helpful and friendly and tea and coffee was on hand, on arrival free, after a long drive, great service, thanks

Quiet rural lodge

The food in the restaurant wasn't very good and the bar was overpriced. It's also a little far off the beaten path, although that's obvious from maps and there is a small town 5 min away for other food & drink options.

The room and bathroom were good-sized and comfortable and it is in a pretty setting. The front-desk staff were also very helpful.

Very nice setting in big garden and hiking trails at the...

Unfortunately there was a problem with warm water. Staff was helpful to address the problems; general impression is of a hotel that needs a bit of redecorating and upgrading to really maximise the benefits of its great location.

Very nice setting in big garden and hiking trails at the doorstep, excellent dinner for good price, friendly staff.

Okay, wouldnt be rushing back but the room was nice and the bed comfy with great tasting food.

The guy on reception, the phone ringing was more important than checking us in, kept us waiting for 5 mins when we arrived and then answered the phone again whilst he was checking us in leaving us stood there for another 5 minutes before handing us the key. We were told the restaurant was open until 9pm, at 8.30pm we were told it was only bar food available form the bar. Luckily that was very nice and had a good mix of food available, this was our only option as the hotel is in a bit of remote location.

Nice location, Very nice grounds, Interesting looking building. Bar food was amazing and good value!

Stayed the night after my nieces wedding so a good sleep and breakfast was all we needed

Needs a bit of updating and then it could be wonderful as the grounds are beautiful

Friendly staff, ok rooms, wasn’t expecting the ritz, clean comfortable.

Disappointing as other member of my family had far better rooms for the same price.

The security was poor. The windows in our room looked out onto a brick parapet. The handles were broken and the one window could be opened from the outside. There were old sandwich wrappers outside the window. There were no fire regulations up and escape routes were not indicated inside the room. The bath panel was rotten where water from the shower had spilled over time. The breakfast was average but not hygienic in that there were no tongs for picking up bread etc, people could handle the food and replace it. On the first breakfast I asked for a full English which was to include black pudding but was told that it had not arrived yet... at breakfast the next morning it was still not in evidence.

The grounds were amazing.

Dissapointing

No hot water for our 3 nights stay, matress very uncomfortable could feel wires through the topper they had put on,toilet holder pulled out of wall,leaking radiator in bathroom,Wi-Fi constantly dropping signal not good when trying to reply to clients emails. Receptionists answer to these faults "it happens with older buildings!!!!"

Breakfast was plentiful and good of choice

relaxing, lovely surroundings but disappointing on some aspects

No restaurant menu. Bar menu strange and limited. Sausage & mash seemed a safe bet. Chef (who we were told on numerous occasions) was on his own, had obviously lost his masher because the potatoes were very lumpy, frozen peas not cooked enough, onion gravy had never heard of, let alone seen, an onion and was thin and wishy washy (probably was onion gravy granules and not the unctuous gravy I had hoped for)and 3 sausages - which were tasty - but all in all a poor version of sausage & mash for £11.Bed was comfy but the floor boards were terribly creaky all over. Barman could have been on his first day - very sweet but did not know what we wanted when we asked if we could have coffee and cake and had to get the manager. Later he did not know what gin was or where it could be found. More training needed...I could go on

Receptionist very helpful. Nice breakfast. Beautiful grounds and a pity the weather was so bad that we could not take full advantage of them. We had such a laugh because it felt a bit Faulty Towers but it did not spoil our weekend.

Drop in standards

No Wi-fi in superior rooms, no discount or anything in lieu. Bar menu been stripped back and basic - frozen freezer food at top notch prices...has the chef left?

Superior rooms are good

Faded grandure but well worth the money.

The WiFi didn’t work. The tv control needed new batteries (I told the person on reception the next day) and the only programme that I watched, which was the news, disappeared mid programme. The paintwork outside was jaded.

It was a single room with a four foot wide bed, which is unusual and it was very comfortable. It was very quiet, which is so important. I asked for a meal to be brought to my room. There was no additional charge. It was well presented and tasted good. The breakfast was okay. The gardens were truly beautiful.

I would highly recommend staying here. Great value , relaxed atmosphere.

The TV coild do with updating, the decor on the landings was tired. Breakfast was not included even though it statrd on booking it was.

Wonderful location, relaxing and quiet

Staff were pleasant and efficient

My room window opened on to the entrance/exit so every noise in and out of the hotel was heard. The hotel is used for events, and luckily i am a heavy sleeper and was very tired as I still slept though most of the noise or got back to sleep quite quickly once i was woken up - music from the wedding and other events, car doors opening and shutting, people leaving etc. So moral of the story - don't take a cheap rate on a booking.com room before you check why it is cheap

Staff were pleasant and efficient

The grounds were beautiful, the staff were lovely but I won’t be staying there again.

The restaurant was closed with no prior notice due to a wedding so needed to go elsewhere to get something to eat. There was one towel in the bathroom for two people.

It was mainly clean apart from the bath. The grounds were beautiful.

The grounds

On arrival no lights on upstairs had to use our phones to see . Broken toilet seat downstairs also unclean . Bar shuts at 10 pm never been in a hotel that does that . Hard to find someone to man the bar too . A lot of money to stay here this hotel is a 2 star at best .

The grounds

Lovely location but we felt it was geared to conferences and large groups rather than individuals.

Our room was small and in the eaves so the warm temperatures made it very stifling ; just one small window to ventilate. After seeing the photos had expected a restaurant ; we were given a bar menu and shown to a grotty room with tables, like a school canteen, and a huge screen on the wall. We left and found a pub where we could eat.

The grounds were stunning. The breakfast was very good and Claire was very welcoming. Vegetarian sausages were offered when we explained my partner was Vegan. In fact we had informed reception of this when we checked in but this had not been passed on to the kitchen.

Should have enquired about disabled facilities; However, we enjoyed a really delightful venue

Because we are both elderly and my wife has some mobility difficulty because of arthritis, we were surprised at the lack of facilities for disabled. eg no lift; only one disabled parking space. We ordered newspapers but only received them on the first morning.

Food was well cooked and adequate portions. Comfortable and warm bedroom. Exemplary staff - nothing was too much trouble. Beautiful surroundings and nice décor.

Comfortable bed and bathroom

Reception often not staffed. Had asked for ground or first floor room but were given bedroom up narrow stairs on second floor.

Comfortable bed and bathroom

Nice, quiet location which served our purpose well.

No wifi / phone signal without going to the furthest corner of the car park. One of us was given a twin-bedded, rather than a double-bedded, room - as the individual in question is very tall this wasn't ideal!

Nice, quiet location which served our purpose well. Excellent breakfast!

Awful

Very noisy room due to water system, didn't get any sleep.It was like having a generator in the room. Beds very small. I'm only 5ft 4 and my feet were hanging over edge. Springs in bed digging into body.worst night sleep I've ever had. When I mentioned this in the morning I was told I should have let them know at 2 am and moved rooms.with a 9.30 check out, I'm not sure this was a reasonable solution. Only offered £4.50 discount. Poor customer service. This is the first time I have ever made a negative review.

Not impressed to start with, but Claire saved the day.

The initial room given to us in the Cottage No 53 was not to standard and is in need of updating. Broken curtains and bathroom/shower not as clean as I would have liked. We were unable to sit at the Bar due to a wedding reception being held and we were put in a tearoom to have our meal on our own, as there was nowhere else to sit. We were there for our 30th Wedding Anniversary and having mentioned this to Claire she upgraded us to Room 89 without a request for a change from us. Claire provided us with her attention the rest of our stay and is a credit to the Lodge and recovered the situation.

Our stay was OK but not perfect

No secure lock on the inside of the door only one chair and one bedside locker for two people and only one of three lights working in the bathroom

The bed was comfortable the bathroom was fine and it was clean

A very pleasant, quiet hotel with lovely grounds.

There were three light bulbs not working including a bedside one. Therefore it was too dark to read in bed. As we were only staying one night I put up with it. We reported it at reception on check out.

Reception tried to phone to say I had left a bag behind.. Unfortunately my phone was still on silent!!! However, I had realised so came back to collect it.

Bed was super comfy.

Decor needs updating! As it's not a purpose built hotel, it feels a bit cramped as rooms are very close and noise travels easily between them.

Bed was super comfy. Nice location. Good breakfast.

The place needs some TLC, but it was clean & comfy, food excellent, and staff were very helpful.

Our special request for a twin room for our sons wasn't met, so they were put in a room on a different floor instead of the next door double room. They only had one towel between them...Our shower wouldn't switch off, and the staff knew about the problem, so why wasn't it fixed before putting new guests in? The bar closed at 9pm on the Thursday night which was a surprise & disappointment, (but was open late on Friday which was a relief.)

The food was excellent. There was a wide range to choose from and the cooked breakfast was one of the best I have had in a hotel. we even got fried bread which wasn't on the menu! The bar was open later on Friday and we had some delicious bar snack. all bar staff very friendly & helpful. Wood burning stove was lovely. The grounds looked beautiful through the pouring rain!

Past its sell by date

Bigger TV no grab rails for shower over bath....danger. Lack of tea coffee with no complimentary biscuits or hot chocolate. TOO early check out 9.30 am on a bank holiday is not acceptable. The majority of hotels is 11 a.m. Only two ground floor rooms in separate building.

Comfortable bed and warm room. Nice grounds.

It was value for money

Cracked sink in the bathroom didn’t look nice

The staff were friendly and informative. The communications were very good and the value for money was good.

A very pleasant stay

Evening menu.

The hotel was immaculate throughout. The staff were pleasant and helpful. The grounds were large and well kept a very pleasant place to stay.

Surroundings

No WiFi No phone reception in rooms Some staff couldn’t be bothered Breakfast full of pepper and tinned fruit hard and inedible Depressing view from room and dreary room Carpet old and worn on stairs

Surroundings