Reviews of Chelsea Hotel

St Swithuns Road, Bournemouth, BH1 3RH, United Kingdom

• Family Room with Private Bathroom

Absolutely nothing. Will definitely stay here again!!

What an AMAZING find! This used to be a run down little B&B but is now under new management and completely refurbished, all bedrooms with very comfortable accommodation, new paint, well maintained. I have stayed in many nearby places, both B&B's and hotels, and this is the CLEANEST by far, immaculate! It's a pleasure to come back from a day of business to a clean and welcoming small hotel where you feel part of the family almost. The staff are superb, they bent over backwards to make sure I had a great stay. Since my son attends school locally I took the opportunity for him to stay with me when I was in Bournemouth on business and he was made very welcome; the staff could not do enough. They really do cater for both the business person and for families. The breakfast was beyond expectations of a simple continental breakfast of cold meats and croissant for example as advertised, and it was a complete English hot breakfast, delicious, served to order, and very filling! The location was fantastic, not only walking distance to business areas, but also to the beach, and many restaurants and eateries nearby. And there's free parking by permit, too. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this little gem of a hotel for short couple night business stays and or for a family stay. Graham L.

• Double or Twin Room

way too expensive for what it was stay anywhere else unless you.absolutely have to be close to the train station!! even then likely better value to just take a taxi or bus from somewhere else. supposedly the hotel was full though we only saw/heard a handful of othet guests. our room was tiny and boiling hot, no fan or air con. our neighbors were straight out of hell and ridiculously noisy at all hours. they also appeared to be friends with the owner and freely went between rooms on the top floor, including trying to access the toilet which was supposedly our private one in the hall. absolutely horrendous and probably my worst hotel stay ever over at least a thousand. avoid!!! wifi reception in room was also very bad, no new towels over 3 days and door very slow to be answered/had to wait for guests to leave before going in.

it was close to the train station. they let us keep our luggage there for a few hours.

Some noisy in the morning, the heat didn't work all the time and I'll would appreciate a blackout curtain.

Really kind staff, very good atmosphere in general.

• Double or Twin Room

Tv in room was quite small but was great otherwise when you consider the cost of the accommodation

Breakfast was cooked fresh to order and spot on! Only being a two minute walk from the station was a great bonus.

Was unsure about permit parking on the street but both us and our friends were able to park outside the hotel

New owners so in the process of updating but clean and tidy

• Double or Twin Room

I would have appreciated some shampoo sachets in the bathroom as I didn't have my own toiletries. There was soap however.

I ended up here by chance because I wasn't able to get home from work one evening as all trains had been cancelled due the weather. I was not expecting such good quality accommodation given the price and I particularly liked the continental breakfast, which included a pain au chocolat, a croissant, toast, yoghurts, cereal etc. (in lots of hotels "continental breakfast" seems to be a fancy term for just bread and jam!). The owners were also friendly and made me feel welcome. Will definitely stay here again if I am ever in the same situation!

New owner Chris was a great host plus down the bar out for my 50th with cakes and bubbly and my name in lights,plus my group were well happy will visit again x

• Comfort Quadruple Room

The b&b had literally just changed hands so they were busy re-painting and organising the accommodation. This did not affect out stay hugely other than the smell of fresh paint, however our room could have been cleaner, i put this down to the owner having so much going on during our stay. It wasn't hugely dirty but was dusty in the bathroom and around the room generally. Beds were not amazingly comfortable but ok for 1 night and budget accommodation. The room was spacious enough for our family and we felt welcome.

The owner greeted us warmly and was helpful and informative with location and parking details. Allowed us to use a parking permit with a deposit to ensure return and told us where he would be if we needed any further assistance. He even turned the radiators on in our room for us!

• Comfort Quadruple Room

Cobwebs. couldn’t find sockets as they were behind furniture. A lot of money £140 for a dated dusty room with mismatched furniture

We were allowed to have parking permit for an extra day. To be fair the owner was new but very helpful.

N/a

I liked the fact that the owner change my room from a single to a suite because it was more inconvenient. That was kind. I needed a bigger room because my sister was staying with me.

• Double or Twin Room

Would have like the option of a cooked breakfast rather than just continental

New owner was very friendly, likeable, approachable and accommodating which made you feel welcome and set us up for a great weekend, even managed to arrange a late breakfast on the Sunday which meant a little bit of a lie in which was fantastic given we were partying until the small hours,

• Family Room

Owner selling, so apologetic for mess when I arrived, but old, painful mattress. Scary part of town. Had to park way down a nearby street, and was worried about my car the entire time. Thought I'd paid for B&B, part had to pay extra for breakfast, and was shamed in front of all the other guests.

• Double or Twin Room

The area was a bit unsavoury and the communal areas of the hotel were in a bit of a mess for my entire stay. The owner was very difficult and unprofessional. I asked to borrow a hairdryer and she told me I had to pay £20 cash which I didn't have on me at breakfast. I offered my car keys/laptop as deposit which she refused despite me explaining I needed to get ready for an interview; she said her dryer is always stolen but in such a way that was very derogatory towards me, just telling me to go to the ATM nearby. She then announced my room number to the entire breakfast room with all the other guests being much older men - this made me very uncomfortable as a solo female traveller. She was very rude to another guest demanding £5 on the spot for breakfast in front of everyone rather than doing it quietly and politely after the breakfast. I went to grab a banana from breakfast to eat on my way up to my room due to being in a rush (which I explained), and she told me to put it back as I can't eat out of the breakfast room, so I paid £5 for burnt toast. I 100% won't return to this b&b - I have just started a 4 year research project at the uni and will need accommodation regularly but would pay more to avoid this place.

Near train station. Room was okay. Free tea and coffee in room. Free street parking. Very nice younger staff member who was helpful and chatty.

Having to pay cash upon arrival One of the rooms wasn't ensuite Had to wait forty minutes upon arrival before we could get checked in It is more of a residents hotel than a tourist hotel

It was available over the Bournemouth Air Show Weekend It was a ten minute walk to the beach and close to ASDA It was somewhere to lay your head Free parking with a residents pass

• Comfort Quadruple Room

Way to expensive for what it had to offer(£180 per night for 3 single beds-for 2 adults and 2 children-3yrs and 20 months)They dont provide shampoo or shower gel or hairdryer. Beds not comfortable. I wont pay more than £50 per night for this "hotel". For £180 per night you get a 5* hotel.Will not visit again or recommend this place.

The breakfast was fine.

• Double or Twin Room

It's a budget hotel in a good location. Does what it said on the tin !

Booked a cheap and cheerful night in bournmouth. The Chelsea hotel provided me with a comfy bed, a shower, a telex to watch and a breakfast in the morning. That's all I needed.

• Family Room

I'm not very good with stairs, so it was a bit of a problem but easily overcome. Wouldn't affect anyone else.

Hotel an easy walk from Bournemouth Railway Station. My room was comfortable and the staff were friendly and helpful. I liked the Continental breakfast.

• Family Room

The beds were not comfy need new mattresses. Could only just stand up straight in the shower if u dropped the shampoo u were out of luck to wash ur hair. We only met the cleaner on arri parking was minimumval never saw the landlady til check out and it was brief.parking was limited.

It was a base at last minute.

• Family Room

Everything , lots of bird noise, next door television on whole night,

Book double bed but end up in small twin beds only one bed to use, very small room

• Double or Twin Room

Ordered double bed - got two singles. Not en suite - shower room across corridor No soap! Shower very very low due to sloping ceiling Noisy

The price

• Family Room

Unfriendly and uncooperative staff. Refused to give me a receipt of payment for the room and said I would be charged for one.Hotel smelt, carpet not hoovered, hairs in shower and sprung mattress so old you touch the bed base.

• Double or Twin Room

Advertised as a hotel but actually its a B&B. Poor hospitality. Dusty and dirty room, uncomfortable bed, unclean toilet. Very noisy floor board, couldn't get a decent night sleep.

Near the train station

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

• Double or Twin Room

I was disappointed by the absence of even a basic chair in the room and whilst the breakfast room was available part time as a lounge I was advised it would close at 9pm :(

Friendly, welcoming and clean

• Family Room

Mattress springs made noise during night. I didn't realise I had booked a room with shared bathroom, thought I'd been careful. Thought it was overpriced for that reason

It was near the train station & restaurants

• Comfort Quadruple Room

- The room was not ready when we arrived, no apology for this from the staff. - We had booked a room which had a double and 2 singles to which we were given a room with 4 singles. When queried this the staff were adamant we had booked 4 singles and said just to push the two singles together. - Parking was a nightmare, whilst we were given a permit (£20 refundable fee) it was very difficult in finding somewhere to actually park near the hotel as all of the spaces had been taken by residents

Can't comment on much from a positive side, other than it was an average stay and they don't mind people coming back late at night.

• Standard Triple Room

On the second Landing where we had to share a Bathroom with Others, If we had been told the room did not have an On Suite we would not have Booked there.

• Double/Twin Room with En Suite Bathroom

A fleeting visit, but this place did what was required of it. Clean and comfortable on top of being in close proximity to the train station. Would have no problem stopping here again i in town.

• Reviewed: 7 November 2016

No complaints.

5 minutes from Bournemouth station, clean and tidy place friendly and helpful staff. Second time I've stayed and its met expectations

• Reviewed: 4 October 2016

• Double or Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

Little expensive for a room with shared shower & toilet but all clean and well maintained

Fantastic location to bars and restaurants and a 15 minute walk to the sea front. Staff were extremely welcoming and helpfully

• Reviewed: 3 October 2016

• Double/Twin Room with En Suite Bathroom

We had to clean the bathroom sink from hair and the dust from on top of the fridge so not that clean, i know it would be cheap and cheerful but didnt expect to clean before we used. No proper wardrobe to store things in only a rail. Room was very noisy.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

They took 210 pounds for this stay they have refunded 70 pounds back still owe me 70 pouns took my statement to show them they say they havent had the money my bank saya they have owned not helpful

• Reviewed: 24 September 2016

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

The hotel it seems is in an area of close proximity to folk who are down on their luck & shall we say of least affluence (Boscombe)! No offence intended & not fault of the hotel!

The facilities were nice & clean. Staff were excellent. There was a problem with my third night stay but credit to the manager who acknowledged their error & who then preceded to get me fixed up elsewhere in Bournemouth for the final night so sincere gratitude. They also reimbursed me very promptly.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2016

• Double or Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

There is an issue with my booking , I have requested two rooms for two people and we ended up at 4 people in one room and got charged the amount of two rooms , so not happy and want the refund of one room.

• Reviewed: 29 August 2016

• Single Room with En Suite Bathroom

As the hotel was explained as having parking I did expect a car park which it did not, however this was easily rectified with a parking permit instead, providing you could find a space on the road! Nothing to grumble about though, the hotel is directly opposite the train and bus station so we didn't move the car once!

The staff were very friendly and the rooms were more than adequate. The lady who owns this hotel was amazing making sure the rooms were on the ground floor as requested.

• Reviewed: 27 August 2016

• Double or Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

There was a single pull down bed in room -addition to the double bed. The pull down bed was very uncomfortable. Was near front door and staircase, could hear people coming through front main door and going upstairs/downstairs all the time, can get a little noisy. But once your asleep wasn't so bad after 11pm. T.v was really high up on wall can get neck ache after a while.

Double bed was comfy. Only a stone throw from train station, a 5/10 min bus ride away from beach and main town centre for only £1.60 single fare &-bus stop near hotel. Supermarket & small convenience store petrol station across the road. Situated off main road - So no traffic noise. Parking permit given for car outside front of hotel, but noticed there is also free parking around the other side streets as well. Good for staying here for a night or two, it's very basic but your getting what your pay for because it's cheap & convenient to stay here.

• Reviewed: 24 August 2016

• Double/Twin Room with En Suite Bathroom

The lady owner went away for the weekend, we got back early because of the rain, could not go to the bar, because the daughter was not allowed to serve us! But we are not allowed alcohol in the room otherwise we get charged extra! No one said 'good buy did you enjoy your stay etc' will not stay again.

• Reviewed: 23 August 2016

Disliked nothing....liked everything!

Loved the welcome. My teenage son has Asperger's syndrome and finds different difficult. Chelsea was warm and welcoming and all was exactly as promised. The room was ideal, ensuite also ideal. Met two housekeepers, both delightful. I highly recommend The Chelsea.

• Reviewed: 19 August 2016

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

I was woken up a few times in the night from banging of doors, but I think that was just other hotel goers who weren't aware of how loud the door would bang. I was on the ground floor, so it was probably that.

Perfect for what I needed - nice wide single bed with a sink in the room and a toilet just across the hall. Great price and friendly staff.

• Reviewed: 4 July 2016

• Single Room with En Suite Bathroom

Very defensive owner. Not the best welcome, ignored all the good feedback I left on Trip Advisor and focused on all points I made for improvements. My shower was being held up by an elastic band and she called me a liar. I should have taken a photo. Seems she does this on all reviews who leave even the slightest bit of negativity. She should spend her time listening to customers rather than responding to all the negative reviews, calling people liars and defending herself. Lots of people are saying the same thing, so we can't all be wrong!

Great location, coffee/tea in room, great price, comfortable. TV worked well. I was only in the room from about 9pm and left at 7.30am, so didn't use any of the facilities or have breakfast, so unable to comment.

• Reviewed: 27 June 2016

• Double/Twin Room with En Suite Bathroom

It was quite noisy as we were on the ground floor, and heard doors slamming quite a bit, which in turn made our door bang every time somebody left the premises.

The staff were really nice, the room had a mini fridge which was great as we could store drinks etc. My daughter was really happy with the WIFI connection.

• Double or Twin Room

Nice and clean. Very close to train/bus station. Comfy double bed.

It was beautiful and very clean, excellent room!

nothing i disliked

clean , great atmosphere, welcoming

• Double or Twin Room

Very small en-suite. Parking not great

Well presented/decorated accommodation. Good cooked breakfast

• Double or Twin Room

Location and staff are all very good

• Double or Twin Room

Super friendly staff, great location and great value.

Great price and location. Staff friendly and helpful. Would stay again

• Double or Twin Room

Walls thin and could hear next room.

Room really clean,breakfast excellent and landlord happy and helpful.

• Comfort Quadruple Room

Breakfast was superb and excellent value.

• Double or Twin Room

Did not know what to expect of this small hotel, but it was a lovely room, clean and comfortable. Will certainly return

Parking wasn’t too good, because space was limited.

Rooms were neat,

• Double or Twin Room

Stayed overnight and the staff were lovely and accommodating. Breakfast was delicious. Would definitely recommend!

• Family Room

There wasn't any shampoo etc in the room , ensuite bit small

Great Staff , great Bar

• Double or Twin Room

Owner was lovely. Breakfast was good! I’d definately stay there again

Nothing that wouldn't bug you about any other hotel to be honest.

Friendly staff, great location.

• Double or Twin Room

Good but I was not in the b and b

Chris is top man

I didn’t appreciate the family with noisy young girls up at 6.30 every morning!

Location was perfect for my needs

• Standard Triple Room

No hotel parking

Staff very helpful

On site parking

Lovely clean room, cleaned each day but couldn't open window

• Double or Twin Room

Toliet flooded on the first flush, dirty stains on carpet and bed, unfriendly staff

It had a bed

Beds

Most of it

Nothing to say

Comfort bed

• Double or Twin Room

Not keen on having a separate bathroom across the hallway... The other rooms where ensuit.

Staff were friendly and continental breakfast was good.

• Double or Twin Room

Very nice for a weekend stay.

• Reviewed: 3 June 2017

• Double or Twin Room

Unfriendly reception, down at heel room.

Cheap. Quiet location.

Check out at 10am. Too early

Cheap

no offer of breakfast

• Reviewed: 26 November 2016

• Single Room with En Suite Bathroom

Single bed very narrow but I am slightly wider than average.

Friendly staff. Clean room.

• Reviewed: 11 November 2016

• Double/Twin Room with En Suite Bathroom

have stayed in better for £60,plus payment went out of my account on 5th october over one month before stay.

• Reviewed: 3 October 2016

• Double or Twin Room with Shared Bathroom

Very small room. Dirty furniture.

Small room, dirty wardrobe and draws. Dirt on walls. Uncomfortable beds.

• Double/Twin Room with En Suite Bathroom

Bed very uncomfortable Further than expected from front

Staff friendly