2. UK hotel reviews
  5. Reviews of Chewton Glen Hotel

Reviews of Chewton Glen Hotel 5 stars

New Milton, New Milton, BH25 6QS, United Kingdom

#2 of 6 hotels in New Milton

Read more- opens a dialog box

Showing 1 – 75

• Reviewed: 3 December 2018

Spectacular!!!
    • Croquet Lawn Rooms

We liked everything, all staff at the hotel where very attentive at all times and we where thoroughly spoilt. The facilities are the best I’ve ever experienced as was the meal we had in the restaurant. Can’t wait to go back next year.

Stayed in December 2018

• Reviewed: 16 November 2018

Peace, relaxation and warmth in a beautiful location.
    • Garden Room

Only getting the booking sorted. Few hiccups, lots of messages and calls

I loved everything and asked my husband for a trip back there instead of diamond earrings! He is having chemo and I can’t think of anything I would like more for Christmas than the promise of returning together to Chewton Glen when the treatment is finished.

• Reviewed: 12 November 2018

Living the life of luxury for 24 hours with doormen...
    • Classic Room

Five-star luxury doesn’t come cheap. But for once it was worth every penny.

Living the life of luxury for 24 hours with doormen insisting you change into Hunter wellies before wandering around the beautiful grounds and arming you with an umbrella...just in case it rains. While wife was at the In-house cookery school with TV chef James Martin, I was chilling in the stunning hydrotherapy spa. Cocktails, fab food at dinner, sublime service and a elegantly equipped bedroom and bathroom.

• Reviewed: 5 November 2018

Calm and peaceful luxury hotel.
    • Estate Room

The room was lovely and the staff (of which there are lots) couldn't be more helpful. We had an amazing stay, using the excellent spa facilities, lovely restaurants and bar and also the activities such as tennis and golf.

• Reviewed: 3 November 2018

Lovely location food was good although my wife’s meal was bad and had to be removed from bill.

Service

This was for our 20th wedding anniversary. Service was disjointed and exceptionally pore for the expected standard of this hotel. I’m happy to pay high prices for excellent service but Chewton Glen falls far short from providing high standard of service. I would go as far as to say that the service was even less than I would expect from 2 or 3 star facility.

• Reviewed: 13 October 2018

service was fantastic, room beautiful, food great

our spa booking was messed up and the staff handled it very badly. they were rude and unhelpful. the treatment was average and overpriced

service was fantastic, room beautiful, food great

• Reviewed: 9 October 2018

An excellent place for a restful stay in beautiful surroundings

Nothing comes to mind

The food and wine were excellent, we had a spacious room and the gardens were lovely. I would particularly like to praise the staff who, without exception, were friendly and went out of their way to be helpful

Hotel was fantastic loved every minute of staying there.
    • Garden Room

The breakfast was very expensive.

Hotel was fantastic loved every minute of staying there. We went for our wedding anniversary and we couldnt have asked any more from them.

Superb

Nothing on this occasion.

A genuinely first class hotel, well situated in beautiful surroundings. Professional and Courteous staff and high standards of accommodation and cuisine.

Superb stay
    • Suite

Very little. By aware that babies and children are very much in the mix so if you are a strictly adults only type maybe not for you.

Superb location, attentive staff and excellent food and wine list. Spa excellent but book ahead!

Lovely location, great services, very polite staff and could not do enough for you, loved it
    • Classic Room

Had a great time for a special occasion and would definitely go back.

Lovely location, staff very polite, beautiful grounds well labled, food and drink a bit on the high side, but seeing how the other half live was great and it was a special occasion. The spar was very nice but our only grumble was the sauna and steam rooms being in the separate changing rooms, so we could not go together, it needs a comunial system next to the pool, food was out standing in the pool bar wowww, was surprised when we went back to the room and found a young lady from house service turning the bed down and peeping the room for night time, we where not told this was part of the system. Bit it was nice, all the nice treats left on the table where lovely,

Chewton Glen 5 star
    • Classic Room

Nothing wrong with the hotel just the awkward connections but that’s not a hotel fault. Might be worth getting some covers for the buffet food in the morning as it was warm few flies around the food

Beautiful location and such a lovely place attended the cooking school with James Martin it was great fun finished off with a fab hotel stay the hydro pool was fantastic and I will return I even booked an additional night I had the pleasure off two different rooms

you haven't stayed in a hotel until you have stayed at the Chewton Glen
    • Garden Room

Hated having to leave! Already planning to return in December to see their Christmas tree!

On face value this hotel appears to be very expensive. But at Chewton Glen you feel like your coming home to a wonderful grandmother or aunt that you haven't seen for a while. You can't wait to arrive and get a big warm welcome, cup of earl grey and a selection of home made cakes! The welcome you receive is warm and cozy. The food is exceptional, full of flavour and the chef clearly is exceptionally creative. Lydia our waitress was bubbly, wonderful and attentive. The chap who seated us for our evening meal told us all about his experience growing up in Hong Kong and was kind enough to give us a lovely booth with air conditioning, which was really well received as it was a very hot day! Holly the reception manager could not have been more pleasant and welcoming to our needs. The room was immaculate, everything you could need was provided, the housekeeping staff clearly take pride in their work. The spa is stunning, the best in the UK and kids are allowed in the spa for an hour here and there meaning it's great families looking to keep the kids entertained as well as catering for couples looking for some zen peace as well. All the staff made every effort to make our wedding anniversary and my birthday special. Thank you to all the staff for your dedication to customer care and quality. Please don't waste your time trying to book into any other hotel. If you're travelling from afar or out of Hampshire and this hotel is within your price range you should stay here, even if it's for a one night treat. Trust me when I say expensive doesn't mean it's good, it can mean boring tomato pasta meals, low grade rooms with wallpaper hanging on for dear life in Draculas Castle for £400 a night. Hey if that's your thing then go for it.

Facilities very good but coffee at breakfast a 20min wait...

Hopeless service at times

Facilities very good but coffee at breakfast a 20min wait every day and an inability shown to improve that. Also the transport arrangements to the off site restaurant NEVER worked despite repeated requests. We ended up walking the 1km. We are experienced luxury Travellers and consider this is well overpriced for the service provided.

A marvelous stay in a gem of a hotel which epitomises British culture
    • Garden Room

It was an incredible hotel. Everything was pristine and the staff could not have done more. I had one of, if not the best, meals I've ever had at The Dining Room. An unbelievable experience.

Luxurious hotel with friendly and attentive staff.
    • Estate Room

Luxurious hotel with friendly and attentive staff. One of the restaurants in the hotel grounds is a 10 minute walk from the hotel or a battery operated buggy shuttle service can be easily arranged to take you there and back. There is a 20 minute walk through the hotel grounds, across a road and over a nature reserve which takes you to the beach. Hiking boots are recommended but I believe Hunter wellies are available near to reception. We stayed in one of the hotel suites which I would consider quite expensive but it was my partner's 50th birthday treat so well worth the extra £££. The one question I always ask myself after visitng a hotel or restaurant is "Will I be coming back?". The answer is "Yes".

The place is nice
    • Croquet Lawn Rooms

The service is dreadful The waiter are not knowledgeable enough It is far of being a fice star hotel

The place is nice Near the sea Nice property

Elegant, quality country house hotel with excellent, friendly staff.

No lift.

Very comfortable, elegant room. Excellent service. Nice touches ...chocolates and nibbles. Extensive spa. Many facilities including indoor and outdoor tennis courts.

Really nice hotel but ridiculously over priced
    • Estate Room

I was invited to join friends at this hotel. At £625 per room per night it is ridiculously expensive (this not including breakfast!). I bought breakfast and it was cold, I had to sens sausages back 3 times! Lovely hotel and if the price was reasonable I would go back. It's probably only worth half the price I paid.

Nice Hotel in a great location

The staff was incredible and when we arrived they made us...
    • Garden Room

The staff was incredible and when we arrived they made us feel right at home. They made our check in seamless and allowed us to use all facilities before our room was ready. We were able to eat, drink and play all within the area of the hotel, and they made the whole experience completely stress free and wonderful!

Brilliant with lasting memories. Our friends first stay left them speechless.
    • Garden Room

We have dined at the Chewton Glen on many occasions. We decided for my 70th birthday to stay with friends at the hotel. The whole occasion went very well and was enhanced by the excellent service provided. An excellent stay with memories to treasure.

Perfect
    • Classic Room

My boyfriend and I had the best steak we ever had! The room was unbelievable and staff were lovely. Would definitely recommend. Perfect place to go for a special occasion.

Just perfect
    • Classic Room

It was just perfect in every way - down to the smallest detail - from the welcome to being offered water and biscuits for the journey home - nothing too much trouble - totally spoilt - staff are extremely friendly

Lovely week-end only tarnished by medicore restaurant service

Service in the restaurant not great especially when compared with the standard of everything else.

Quality of facilities, location and cuisine were excellent. Reception and porter staff were very good.

Pampered luxury in a superb hotel.
    • Classic Room

All of the staff were excellent, attentive without being 'pushy'. Facilities are superb. Room quality , from size to furnishings, is excellent.

A real pleasure to visit the New Forest area and staying at Chewton Glen added to the experience.
    • Classic Room

The staff was very helpful with all our requests. The only thing I wish they had available was an in house hair salon. After using the spa facilities massage etc., a hair salon would have been a plus. The food was good and the new on campus restaurant The Kitchen was excellent.

A very relaxing weekend in a beautiful location with great attention to detail.
    • Estate Room

All the beds by the outside pool were taken with peoples towels and belongings even though people were not using them all. People seem to think that if they have put their towel on a bed and wish to go off and have lunch that it is ok to keep the bed. I think this should not be allowed and should be made clear to guests that this is unacceptable. We would have liked to use the pool and probably would have only used one of the beds for an hour max. I think we could have easily done this if other guests had not thought it their right to save a bed when they were not using it. I have no objection to all the children in the pool and in fact enjoy watching them have fun. None of the children were using any of the beds or chairs so cannot be blamed for the lack of chairs/beds. Every chair/bed was taken even though there were probably only 30% of them actually being used. Had I asked one of the staff to sort me out a bed by the pool I am sure that they would have done this as nothing was too much trouble for them. It is more a case of the guests not being aware - being able to afford to stay there doesn't mean you can just do what you like regardless of others.

We will definitely stay again soon. Both the hotel and staff were wonderful. The hotel grounds are beautiful and it must take a small army to keep them so well groomed. Will recommend this hotel to friends. The hotel staff make you feel like you are the most important guest there and nothing is too much trouble.

Chewton Glen has the potential to be perfect, spoiled by pandering to families first.
    • Garden Room

Shame that it's a family friendly venue. We had a family with noisy spoiled brats above us. Running around at all hours, ringing their doorbell constantly etc. It took a complaint to reception (which was dealt with quickly) to make them respect their neighbours (surely what the parents should have done already!). The restaurant was much the same. If the venue must welcome families, couldn't the staff use their common sense, and seat the families away from the couples and singles? Breakfast was a nightmare of snotty children talking with their mouths full, spilled drinks and brats running around tables. Not to mention groping the food with their dirty hands. The staff and management were very quick to listen to our complaints/suggestions and to apologise, but a bit of forethought could have removed the issues in the first place.

Valet parking was an unexpected surprise. Upgraded to a suite on arrival, the location and facilities of which were exceptional. Food was very good, staff very helpful without being over-attentive. The grounds are stunning, and the walk through the grounds and along the river to the beach was lovely.

Too brief!

For the price, breakfast should have been included.

Lots of nice extras, like welcome snacks in the room on arrival, personal message from the manager and complimentary drinks. Wonderful staff for whom nothing is too much trouble and a fantastic bar and barman. We only stayed for one night which was lovely but next time we will go for longer to make the most of all the facilities available.

A wonderful way to celebrate a special occaision
    • Classic Room

The whole experience from the time we arrived until we left was very special. Nothing was too much trouble. The staff were brilliant and very attentive. Our friends enjoyed their meal with us at the Kitchen and the ride to and from the Hotel in the pouring rain in the buggy was quite special as well. Our room overlooked the front of the hotel and so we could see a great deal which was interesting The lavender pots on our terrace gave off a glorious smell in the evening. The only thing that was a problem was the rain as it stopped us going to the beach. We have always enjoyed our visits to the hotel and this one was no exception

Lovely Luxurious Stay
    • Estate Room

Expect to pay roughly double the price of an average hotel for everything. Staff dropped the ball abit with regards to supplying towels around the pool. Breakfast service was poor. Bags were left in reception for an hour unattended.

Facilities amazing, Staff friendly, We received a room upgrade which was very nice.

Review
    • Estate Room

As explained above, my husbands trousers were visibly wet but no offer of a reduction in our lunch costs but another guest was offerred this, seemed unfair treatment

The spa treatments were superb, and the staff welcoming. Only sat outdoors and some cushions were wet and we didnt get the same service as some others guests who complained

Would have been excellent all round without the poor Breakfast Service
    • Classic Room

Breakfast service was slow and inefficient - especially poor as it was beginning of Service with few guests and plenty of staff.

Front Desk staff excellent throughout. Bedroom very clean & bed extremely comfy. Complimentary soft drinks in Fridge welcome

• Reviewed: 23 June 2017

Five star !
    • Garden Room

Sadly our room was probably the furthest from the reception, bar, restaurant and all facilities! Such a shame as other rooms were available nearer all the above facilities!

Everything was perfect

We were happy to stay and wind down from our cruise, but it cost us about 1000.00 US dollars a day
    • Classic Room

I didn't find the beds overly comfortable. The receptionists were very sweet and accommodating but some of the wait staff were less than congeal. The guy who worked the bar area was amazing as well. I thought the dining room was a bit pricey for the quality...but I think that is maybe normal in this situation.

We really loved the Kitchen and the help there was marvelous.

The staff were incredibly helpful and professional and went...
    • Garden Room

The staff were incredibly helpful and professional and went out of their way to make our stay a special one. They upgraded our room as it was my friends birthday. All the little touches such as the hair straighteners in the room, the paper in the morning made our stay pleasant. The spa and swimming pool and tennis facilities made also our stay fantastic.

Nice place but a pity they are understaffed and or badly organised. Far too expensive for what it is
    • Garden Room

The room was small, with very little storage for clothes etc. We also had a heavily stained chair in the room. The Breakfast service was terrible the first day, although a slight improvement the second day. Also the Bar service was very slow.

I like the set up of the building and its grounds. The dinner in the Hotel was excellent.

• Reviewed: 18 March 2017

Just 1 nights break but upgraded and felt like we'd had...
    • Garden Room

We couldn't of found fault if we tried ..

Just 1 nights break but upgraded and felt like we'd had a week away .. so stress free and relaxing ..Thankyou

• Reviewed: 26 February 2017

Ideal relaxing short break
    • Classic Room

Wi-fi was patchy but acceptable and really not an issue. Outdoor jacuzzi could have been hotter.

One of the best British hotels I've been too. Excellent facilities. Great service. Good food. Knowledgeable staff. Loved indoor tennis court. Needed a relaxing break and this delivered. Room was lovely and seemed very clean. Great drinks selection too. Relaxed vibe - had lunch in my tennis gear and didn't feel out of place.

• Reviewed: 10 February 2017

A special hotel.
    • Estate Room

Paying for breakfast, it should be all included in the price. Also the large gratuity for drinks ordered in the lounge.

Home from Home feeling of the hotel. Some nice little touches.

• Reviewed: 10 February 2017

Amazing! Thoroughly enjoyed stay
    • Garden Room

I would of liked tea and coffee making facilities with fresh milk in the fridge. Nothing that I didn't like

The room was amazing, the reception staff very informative, bed was really comfortable, the evening dinner was really nice, thoroughly enjoyed stay

• Reviewed: 30 January 2017

Golden Wedding Anniversary, sleepless night
    • Garden Room

Due to fire on our Golden Wedding Anniversary, Leaving our room for three and a half hours , no hot water the next morning, we were charged full rate for that night. Cost should have been removed from the bill

• Reviewed: 15 November 2018

Fabulous
    • Garden Room

Room upgrade given. Great staff.

• Reviewed: 8 November 2018

Atmosphere

The property needs a new roof quick! All is leaking The restaurant not at the level of the rest

Atmosphere

• Reviewed: 5 November 2018

It was excellent.

It was excellent.

• Reviewed: 27 October 2018

Too many children in all areas.
    • Garden Room

Too many children in all areas. There should be areas for adults only

A wonderful weekend with family.

More information on the rooms and shooting prior to booking.

Spacious rooms, beautiful views, excellent spa and delicious food.

Would go again, this hotel is fantastic with great staff!
    • Croquet Lawn Rooms

Service at dinner was a little slow

Gorgeous rooms and fantastic spa

• Reviewed: 1 September 2018

Go there

That there was no lift

Every things

Lots of space for kids to run around and explore.

Lots of space for kids to run around and explore. Food was delicious and service was great.

Lovely hotel and staff
    • Suite

The Kitchen Restaurant

A return visit from over 30 years ago

Bit old fashioned

Comfort. Cleanliness. Service.

Enjoyed very much to celebrate our 40th anniversary.
    • Classic Room

Did'ent really think the kitchen was good value for money and also the food

Comfy bed lovely breakfast

Faculities and food are great.
    • Classic Room

Room Decor, faded and a bit old looking

Faculities and food are great.

Nothing was too much for the staff

Nothing was too much for the staff

The best weekend ever
    • Classic Room

our room was sooo much better than expected, best hotel room we have ever had!

Peaceful location.
    • Garden Room

Thought it was a bit dated, not as manicured as I would expect, overpriced.

Peaceful location.

Fantastic

All amazing

The whole environment

The whole environment

Relaxing and felt very well looked after

Somewhere to hang towel by the shower

Bed and pillows extremely comfortable

Genuine staff, very relaxed and friendly exceprional food,...
    • Garden Room

Genuine staff, very relaxed and friendly exceprional food, comfort and the hydra spar out of this world

Fantastic Spa - large patio looking out onto grounds - great...
    • Garden Room

Fantastic Spa - large patio looking out onto grounds - great shower & lovely staff

we loved it and will come back
    • Classic Room

steam rooms not mixed for both male and female

the hot tub outside as the snow came down on us

Relaxing location
    • Garden Room

The location and level of comfort.

3.5
    Completely overpriced and overrated

Completely overpriced and overrated

the hotel and location are stunning, staff are extremely...
    • Classic Room

the hotel and location are stunning, staff are extremely helpful

Service

good except breakfast coffe much to strong

the breakfast,not good value

Execellent location . Comfortable hotel. Some staff I felt could have been more professional & court

Some staff!

The setting is stunning

It was a fantastic stay enjoyed by the whole family.

Great hotel with very friendly and welcoming staff.

Bliss

Everything was perfect

Brilliant
    • Classic Room

The all round excellent service and comfort coupled with excellent facilities

Loved the heated outdoor pool.
    • Garden Room

Everything was pretty great. Cannot fault our stay.

Loved the heated outdoor pool. The staff were really friendly.

Care snd attention

Weather!

Perfect in every area. A must place to stay for s short or long break

Showing 1 – 75

We Price Match
We Price Match
Low rates • No booking fees • Find cheaper? We'll refund the difference!