Reviews of Hotel Citystay 2 stars

5.9

5.7

6.2

• Double Room with Private Bathroom

The staff could have smiled more. When checking in I was told if any if I did any damage to the room it would be checked and charged to me on check out. So don’t know what they thought I would do to the room. Yeah and common kitchen for breakfast I found rather unwelcoming and uncomfortable.

The room was clean.

• Single Room with Private Bathroom

Room smelt musty but was clean. TV remote refused to work until I was leaving :-) Well suited for single traveller ... not for families

Location for where I was going was excellent. (Excel London) It was very basic with no extra facilities offered or asked for. Checking in & out was no problem. Towels were changed on both days.

• Double Room with Private Bathroom

Need more attention to details. Carpet need fixing, some walls painting, there was no toileteries or enough towels.

Check in staff was great and fast. Location is what we needed, great transport links.

• Double Room with Private Bathroom

So I stayed here on 14.06.2018. I walk up the the big black front door and with 2 buzzers in it was hard to tell which one worked as they both looked broke. I pressed both of them anyway. 5 minutes later someone answered and i was bought into the reception. The smell of damp ( i think) hits you quite badly. Not sure if the walls or the carpets tbh? I went to my room 201 and i entered. I was like OMG. It was very tiny and yes it had a double bed of which i was only just about able to get around the sides. Now beear in mind this is a hot sunny day and has been 25c all day and the curtains were closed....i went to open them to reveal no window, well there was but about 3ftx1ft and was way above my heigtht of 6ft to reach them. All i wanted after a busy day was to chil and this felt like a prison room ( not that i have been in one by the way ) I felt I just had to go out and stay out as late as possible to avoid this depressing room. Dont get me wrong it was clean and the bed was spot on really comfortable. Food and drinks you need to walk about a mile towards Mile End I went to the Greedy Cow pub which was brilliant tbh really liked it there with spot on service.I left the pub at 1030pm to head back to the hotel. Had a shower which was good and powerful and lots of hot water. I then tried to go to sleep - OMG not a chance. There must be some serious crime there going on every day there as all i heard was sirens from 11pm until 2am ( not helped by the fact the police station is across the road which i didnt know about) Eventually when i did drift off to sleep i was woke again. By planes. At 0530am. The hotel sits under the flight path for London City airport and when a plane isnt coming over then you are being disturbed by the tube underneath you :( I had a business meeting today and i felt shattered after this experience not helped by a 2 hour drive back home. I really wouldnt bother with this place unless its for something quick that doesnt drain you.

bed was good

• Single Room with Private Bathroom

Everything! They didnt clean the rooms, the curtains where hanging loose, the lamp was not working, the shower was broken..its just a really nasty place to be. Very noisy on the street side.

Distance to the center was perfect

• Single Room with Private Bathroom

BE AWARE that although the front desk is stated as 24 hour this does not allow 24 hour check in. I was called back from a night out by the hotel in order to check in at 11:30pm and wasn't greeted in the friendliest manner.

The location of the hotel is great and the hotel is really good value. The room was dated but spotlessly clean. The addition of a glass to the room to allow you to have a drink of water would be useful!

No kettle in the room

This is a cheap place to stay, looks grim from the outside but ticked all the boxes for us, comfortable beds and the room was clean.

• Single Room with Private Bathroom

Room was overlooking a main road and the glazing was an absolute disaster - windows couldn't be shut properly, so I could hear traffic all night and barely got any sleep as a result - investing in double glazing won't hurt! Hotel entrance was locked shut when I arrived and couldn't get in until I called reception via phone - found that rather bizarre. Again, no one at reception when checking out.

• Double Room with Private Bathroom

The room was on the main road so very noisy but I’m a deep sleeper so it didn’t bother me too much. The mattress and pillows were very thin. Not a room or establishment you’d want to spend a lot of time in.

The price and location were good for a 1 night stay in London.

• Single Room with Private Bathroom

- Property needs some modernization (but fully in line with what one can expect at that price level)

- Value for money - Friendly and helpful staff - Clean rooms - Comfortable bed

• Double Room with Private Bathroom

Lift not available in hotel. Customer has to shift luggage bags to room on its own. Difficult for customer of 1st and 2nd floor. Room price seems to be higher to what you get.

Location of hotel. Very convenient for transport. Staff very cooperative and friendly but some were frustrated.

• Triple Room with Private Bathroom

Very little room, very old building

Clean beds, location is excellent near tube and DLR and National Express- transport to Stanted airport stops in from of it

Flatlet was accessible only via the fire escapes - had to cross a small outside courtyard to get there.

Our flatlet had a kitchenette, we could have done self-catering if we'd realised. Breakfast is entirely self-service. Food and tea/coffee is provided in a communal kitchen.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

It was quite a hike to the 2nd floor bedroom up an outside metal staircase. My husband is disabled and staff carried his suitcase up the stairs to our room. There was a power point not working propery in the bedroom but we were able to use another one.

Hotel Citystay is like a cross between a hotel and a hostel. I liked the do it yourself breakfast (no time constraints) and access to the kitchen at any time. I was surprised to find we had a fully equiped en suite kitchen when there was no en suite bathroom. We were visiting London just for the week end for a family wedding and didn't need the en suite kitchen but for a longer stay it would be very useful. The hotel was clean if a little shabby but for the money it was very good value. Staff were helpful and offered to look after our luggage on departure day.

• Single Room with Private Bathroom

Poor policy on protecting and managing night hours sleep and rest for customers. Extremely disappointed that staff allow customers to talk, shout and laugh loud on the phone at 4 a.m.in their rooms. Hotel staff allows drunk people to get into the rooms to disturb all the facilities.I have my neighbours walking corridors and knocking outdoors as idiots at 3-4 a.m.

Large room, clean, with kitchen facilities, friendly and helpful staff.

• Single Room with Private Bathroom

Heating wasn't working the first night so it was really cold. Cleanliness is horrible. It's been also three weeks from my stay. I was charged pre-authorisation and still haven't got it back. At check-in I payed the full price. I am still dealing with the matter and having a lot of trouble because the sum was quite high.

• Double Room with Private Bathroom

The property visibly doesn't match the 3 stars style as described in the website. Good location and easy to get to, but the property is run-down and the service is not what expected from a 3 stars hotel. Sheets changed once every 3 days and same for the bed to be made up. Not nice experience

• Double Room with Private Bathroom

Was a lovely room great service from the staff very friendly and welcoming and helpful with anything we needed great facilities would definitely recommend and book again

• Double Room with Private Bathroom

That is not a fair question. We are not critics.

Two minutes to tube and prefer smaller establishments. Everything you need is minutes away. Would recommend it to all.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The head board on the bed was not cleaned properly, the dust was overwhelming. The side lamp on the bedside table was crooked to the point of it being broken. The curtains were not attached to the rail properly, which made the room look a bit scatty. I found a hair in the shower- hygiene wise, I do not think this was acceptable. We didn’t feel like this was a good standard of hospitality. I suffer from asthma and I didn’t believe it was a safe environment. These rooms need to be double checked by management to ensure the safety and respect of the guests. My partner came downstairs and asked whether it was possible to change rooms due to the amount of dust. The management at the desk at the time handed him a baby wipe, expecting him to clean it! Absolutely horrified at this behaviour, the disrespect and the lack of care by this establishment.

The location was convenient for our plans.

• Double Room with Private Bathroom

We paid the breakfast and it was ridiculous, only bread with jam, totally ridiculous for the price paid, it should be for free or a buffet but not this shame

Nothing really, It looks much better in the pictures of booking than really is.

• Double Room with Private Bathroom

The staff was very cold, even got mad when we brought a friend over and didn't stop until we paid for her being there. The shower only gave a bit of water pressure and went from scorching to cold very quickly.

Cheap.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The hotel was more of a hostel. We were in a double room with shared bathroom, which actually was more like a small student flat- there was even leftover food in the kitchen fridge! We didn't brave the shower in the bathroom. Our room was out of the back of the main building and up the fire escape- luckily the snow had melted by the time we had our stay. The whole place smelt a little musty. I regularly stay in London in little £50 rooms, but this was by far the worst I have stayed in.

Not far from a district line tube station and the mcdonalds for breakfast. Our room was actually in another building, so felt secure! There were spare pillows in the cupboard.

• Double Room with Private Bathroom

Unclean bathroom, with my booking condition I has to pay £179, but on demand of hotel receptionist I was paying £186, and after I paid when I asked payment voucher then he refused to give me any payment receipt !!!

Common kitchen

• Double Room with Private Bathroom

The conditions in the household did not meet our expectations. After payment, I did not get a pay for a paid stay. for breakfast we had to pay for self-service. Apart from these things, the hotel smelled of the Asian cuisine and in the stands was noisy and the other guests were heard...so we left earlier than planned

• Twin Room with Private Bathroom

The neighbours upstairs from me kept me up all night my last night there. Unfortunately, there was no one from the hotel staff to speak with to try to help me because they had already gone to bed themselves.

• Single Room with Private Bathroom

Was unable to get my breakfast, since no one was at the reception from 7 to 8 a.m., and I failed to find the dining room on my own. Very uncomfortable stairs, if you're travelling with huge and heavy luggage (as in my case).

Room was quite cozy and warm. There was not much noise from the outside. Wi-Fi was fine. DLR metro is in the building nearby, and tube is 5 minutes walking. Supermarket Tesco is 15 minutes walking.

• Double Room with Private Bathroom

Bathroom (a bit moldy shower), small window which can't be shut properly, tv unable to watch from bed

Located next to DLR station, tube station is also close. 24/7 grocery store next to hotel. good equipped kitchen, quiet place, comfy bed, private bathroom

• Double Room with Private Bathroom

The attitude of the staff at reception was the worst. They were most of the time rude and not friendly. Reception is empty during the evening and early morning, they're not easy to reach. Furthermore, they are not aware of their facilities; such as electricity, heater and the hair dryers. At one morning, we woke up in a very cold room. The heater was not working, we were hardly warmed up later on that day. It was a very bad experience. I don't know if it's intended or not but they probably do something with the facilities during the night to lower the usage and expenses. You have to borrow a mobile hair dryer from the reception every time you need it. Sometimes, they give you a broken one. I had a discussion with one of the receptionist on that matter. He blamed us on having multiple hair dryers (which we always brought back after borrowing) and breaking them. He even blamed and convicted us on not using the dryer properly like we're idiot. It turned out the electricity of the room on the sockets were tripped and he's not even checking this before throwing rude blames. So we woke up in a room without any electricity, phones were not charged, lamp was not working, hair dryer was not working. The room and the hotel was in general not clean. The bed seems ok but for all other, you can see all dirt and dust. To conclude, it was my worst experience ever in lots of countries I visited. I wish I never booked this hotel. I don't recommend it to anyone.

It was not in the best location but easily reachable.

• Twin Room with Private Bathroom

Hotel is clean but needs renovation. So if you don't mind old fingerprints on window or door frames take it!

Perfect location - last Tube station in zone 2, i.e. the cheapest transportation zone. Breakfast should be paid but turned out to be free! Lots of fruits, cereal, bread eggs, cofee, milk, tea. Small room but wih clean linen. Hot water, towels changes daily. Price reflects quality which is at least 7.5

• Single Room with Private Bathroom

Just right for a solo traveler who only needs to have a place to sleep and have a quick shower+breakfast. Located conveniently close to Stratford where you can buy anything and international railway stations.

• Double Room with Private Bathroom

the facilities could definitely use some upgrading, especially the showers. The curtains/blinds don't block out enough light either.

you get what you pay for its cheap, good location, its clean enough and the staff are friendly. all in all nothing wrong as a place to lay your head for a night just don't expect too much

• Twin Room with Private Bathroom

Plug sockets hanging off wall. No tea coffee facilities in room. No soap or anything in bathroom inly a really small bottle of shampoo (ironocally both me and my cousin are shaven headed). Booked a twin roim and the second bed was in an alcove next to 2 walls so you had to climb in bed frim the bittom.Tv not working and when we asked staff was told if there is no remote they couldn't help, when I dropped my key on floor we found remote kicked just under bed and when we told staff this he just said "ok" surely things like this should be checked. White quilt cover had brown stain in middle and it wasn't coffee! Wasnt charged for breakfast so when we told them we should have paid £4:95 each he said its ok which at first I thought was extremely generous until next morning when we went down in breakfast area to find the whole staff sat in area and the continental breakfast consisted of an apple and a banana. Also told that if we wanted tea or coffee we had to help ourselves in the kitchen and make a cup of instant. We both travel quite a lot and have stayed in dozens of differing hotels and B&B but this was by far the worst.

The only thing that I did like about the property was its proximity to tube station convenience store and takeaways

• Double Room with Private Bathroom

Small room.. i would like more space. I didn t like the extra charge if you pay with the credit card.

I liked the location (right next to the station) very much and the facilities around. Clean room, friendly staff, extra hot water. It was perfect for the one night we ve stayed.

• Double Room with Private Bathroom

It was very poor, they have to do some maintenance work in special with the shower... and also the receptionist attitude it was like i m tired i dont care ...he make me feel like I'm pretending to much...

The bed

The stairs outside were kind of a pain considering we had a pram and two little infants but other than that it was a great experience.

Before our stay we read some negative reviews about the hotel which nearly put us off but we decided to book a room regardless, i decision we never regret. I don't understand where the negative reviews came from, definitely good value for our money

• Double Room with Private Bathroom

The kichen is really dirty. Late check out is not allowed at all. Neither the use of a shareable batheroom is allowed after the check out.

It's close to the bow road station (underground, zone 2, district line) thats leads to all main atractions of London.

• Single Room with Private Bathroom

The staff were very friendly great location, very close to the tube, tesco close by and a great little cafe called the greedy cow just down the road. Cheap and cheerful, could do with a little renovation but the price and location more than makes up for it.

• Single Room with Private Bathroom

Cleaning of the room 111 was not done effectively and efficiently as expected of Hotel centrally located.

The WIFI was not too effective during my stay.this made the stay booring.

• Single Room with Private Bathroom

My room was not cleaned throughout my stay. I had to leave papers, wrappers and shopping boxes everywhere to engage the cleaner when i was checking out.

Location is paramount. I coiuld connect the west end so easily and shop closeby at westfield in stratford.

• Twin Room with Private Bathroom

It didn't feel like a hotel. More like a bedsit building. My bed was a sofa. Nowhere to get a drink of water although there was a kitchen, it seemed wrong to delve into someone elses cups.

It was quiet although it is next door to train station.

• Single Room with Private Bathroom

There could perhaps be a bit wider selection for breakfast.

Nice bathroom with modern tiles, LCD TV, forthcoming staff, fruit for breakfast and use of the kitchen.

• Triple Room with Private Bathroom

The staff was not helpful at all... never offered to help with our bags just sat and looked on as 2 women and a child struggled... the entire properly smelled funny and there was mold all over the bathroom tiles which was disgusting

I liked the location, very close to the O2 arena

• Triple Room with Private Bathroom

Receptionist discuss about payment by cash while we want to pay by card. no help to bring our luguage to our room not very friendly welcome bad smell in the corridor old carpet and bedsheet left on the corridor

• Twin Room with Private Bathroom

It was not very clean and the shower was unusable due to the shower head being filthy and full of limescale.

It was convenient for the tube and good location for the Olympic Park

• Double Room with Private Bathroom

Apart from cereals and milks, nothing else is provided. The room is different from the photo, much more smaller. There's no toiletries provided in the shower.

You get lots of cereals and milks, located near to fried chicken shop (open until 12am).

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Had to make own breakfast but if you weren't down early there was no breakfast left. I paid an extra £20 for breakfast for 2 for 2 days, no food available. Feel ripped off. We were going to be given a room up 3 flights of fire escape steps that were wet and slippy, I use a walking stick so told the man I couldn't possibly get up. He changed the room but we had to pay an extra £30. These rooms would not be suitable for people with children as the access is dangerous.

Beds were clean and comfy.

• Double Room with Private Bathroom

No facilities to make coffee or tea in the room but we were able to use the kitchen and all was provided for free

We Liked the friendliness of the staff, the bed was very comfortable and the shower hot and strong. The bed linen was very clean and the towels were changed every day. Overall the hotel was clean except of the handrails on the stairs which looked and felt grubby

• Double Room with Private Bathroom

The room was not remotely how it was advertised. Small, badly maintained and extremely expensive for such a terribly level of quality. Dirty marks on the walls, doors didn't close properly, huge amounts of dust. The list goes on and on.

Very little. There were no redeeming features about this awful hotel.

• Double Room with Private Bathroom

Stubbed my foot on the unmarked step into the bathroom. light in shower not working. No instructions for shower. Slow hot water. Bedroom right next to office reception- wine me at 5.30am when i heard printer at 5.30am! Planes starting taking off at 6am.

Convenient and close to the school I was visiting.

• Single Room with Private Bathroom

Ambience, looked very neglected. Used for convenience only

Very poor area, very noisy with road traffic, excellent location for tubes, room very shabby, bed nice and clean, all needs decorating or at least a good clean.

• Single Room with Private Bathroom

!!! There's some major problem with the drain system - at least in the basement. In my room the water stayed in the sink, shower and toilet. They should clean the pipes !!! The floor in my room was always damp, even wet. Probably because of the same problem. Breafast is poor Room is supersmall They take money for 1 night when you book, although their profile said "free booking"

Quite cheap for London Not too far from the city centre Kitchen with everything needed Iron available in the common area Free wi-fi

• Double Room with Private Bathroom

The price is quite high, probably because I booked too late. The double room is a bit small, which is hard for two people live.

Great location, and serve breakfast.

• Double Room with Private Bathroom

Room size was too small,bed was just half in size. Bathroom was so small one can't take even a proper bath there. This property is high priced. This kind of property should not be more than 40 pounds.

Actually I was shocked to see property. Rates are much much higher as compare to the comforts.actually I didn't like it.

• Single Room with Private Bathroom

I arrived at the hotel one hour later than the check-in time (my mistake) but always in contact with the staff and apologizing. But when I got there the employee was simply very unfriendly... Also, on the first day no hot water for shower. My room just fited the bed, really really small.

The cheapest center hotel with a private bathroom, that's why I choose this one!

• Twin Room with Private Bathroom

My bed wad the worst i have ever slept on for comfort.devorating was awfull.

Room was clean but very basic.was near to tube and bus stops.supermarket across the road.

• Reviewed: 23 June 2017

• Double Room with Private Bathroom

The staff were a bit miserable, the room could have been a bit cleaner. They had 2 dubious parking spaces which they charged £5 a night for, there are 2 Barclays bank spaces next to them which is were I parked as I came back when the bank was closed and left in the morning before the bank opened, winner. Breakfast was bit weird you basically had to make your own and clear up after you, I gave it a miss.

There wasn't much to like about it really. It was a last minute booking for me so didn't have time to look around.

• Double Room with Private Bathroom

Rather dirty room. Curtains dusty and bathroom with old and dirty sanitation. Very noisy and uncomfortable. Asked for a silent room but they didn't settle for us. It was impossible to sleep well during the night. The staff is pretty good.

• Reviewed: 9 June 2017

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

It could do with a bit of a paint work and new furniture.

The staff was great and included a free breakfast that was free of charge !. I got a really quiet room for £50 as every hotel that I have stayed in London before were so noisy so this made a change. The staff gave me a free breakfast and it was free of charge !

• Double Room with Private Bathroom

Staff are grumpy... don't say hi back and don't smile.

Location, ideal for airport bus transfer from Stansted! Great location in general for exploring London, particularly the East and so close for Field Day festival.

• Double Room with Private Bathroom

Brilliant location being right next to underground, and bank. Petrol station and co-op over the road. Clean and basic with en-suite bathroom, and the room we stayed was quiet. Very good value for money.

• Reviewed: 1 June 2017

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Staff relationship was poor with the exception of one. They need to work on it deliberately. Niceness does not take anything away anybody. Cheers

• Double Room with Private Bathroom

The hotel is on a VERY loud street. We were in room 3, which is essentially on the street and we had to wear earplugs to get any sleep. We were woken up every night and morning by people entering and exiting the hotel because the front door slams loudly and shakes the front wall. When people put the key into the front door, it sounded as if they were entering our room. Toiletries are not provided, so bring your own. The bed is hard but if you are tired enough, you can get some sleep. The hotel is basically a hostel with private rooms, but we were desperate due to another hotel cancelling our reservation.

Staff are friendly. The hotel is next to tube station and bus to airport. The room was clean.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Despite what the advertisement says this property isn't 10mins away from major attractions by the underground it's about 20-25. The bed wasn't put together properly which means it moved everytime we did. The building and facilities are run down and there's a ugly mess out the back when you walk towards your room. The rooms are dusty which my bag and clothes collected sitting in there was pretty gross. The carpet is also falling apart. The staff aren't very welcoming and approachable. Pretty abrupt and rude.

Close to underground station. Shared fridge you can use and kitchen with supermarket across the road.

• Reviewed: 10 May 2017

• Double Room with Private Bathroom

No space in the room, no hot water, no daily cleaning, room are full of dust, angry and ungently staff... Disaster.

Near the underground and train station.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Enormous amount of dust in the rooms- from the carpets, broken locks on the windows, frames of beds are in bad conditions, mattresses are limp

Close to the city centre, hotel near to underground station, clean towels every day, friendly staff, allow to use kitchen for the breakfast

• Reviewed: 5 May 2017

• Double Room with Private Bathroom

The bed was quite uncomfortable. Quite a lot of wear and tear to the room.

It was very cheap so can't really complain. If you just want a bed for the night and a hot shower then it's fine.

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

The room was too hot.

The bed was clean and comfortable. The towels provided were fairly soft. Convenient for working at excel exhibition centre as it took less than 10 minutes in rush hour to get there from hotel

• Reviewed: 23 April 2017

• Double Room with Private Bathroom

It was a very dirty property in a horrible location not very comfortable bed and no spare pillows and very rude staff that didn't really make feel welcome toilet didn't really flush and when you looked out the bedroom window all you could see was a dirty bath tub the shower was horrible and didn't use it as looked horrible the internet provided was free but was rubbish

• Double Room with Private Bathroom

The traffic was noisy even through the night Requested extra pillows 4 times before actually getting them

Easy to find Clean Great for somewhere to just get your head down

• Reviewed: 14 March 2017

• Triple Room with Private Bathroom

Wifi speed need improvement.

Location Central between two metro lines and bus stop at the door. Help your self breakfast. Coop supermarket opposite side of the road. Halal restaurant few meters away. Sam at the reception was helpful during check - in changing the room due to poor Wifi connection.

• Double Room with Private Bathroom

Thought it was a nice little room, nothing fancy, but ideal for two 27 year olds who needed a place to stay for 2 nights after being out in London all day.

• Double Room with Private Bathroom

Very uncomfortable, thin pillows and duvet though clean. Loud road as poor window glazing. Curtains didn't fit the window breakfast was self-service (cook yourself)!

Very poor overall though staff friendly (when you could get hold of them)

• Reviewed: 18 February 2017

• Double Room with Private Bathroom

-the room was very dusty and not cleaned enough on daily basis

-excellent location near metro station -good price for a budget hotel -access to kitchen anytime

• Reviewed: 5 February 2017

• Double Room with Private Bathroom

TV reception was erratically poor....although we didn't have time to watch, it was nice to try and catch up with local and world news. Couldn't fault the place. Although we didn't use the kitchen as much as we had had intended, it was well serviced with everything that you would need. We would come back for sure!

The staff were extremely friendly and polite and were able to offer helpful / knowledgable advice. The cleanliness and condition of the room and hallways and kitchen exceeded our expectation. Everything was great. The bonus is the safe left-luggage area (after 2 p.m. they might charge 5.00 pounds ...but it is worth it, if they do). We did not have the breakfast, but it seemed ok value and convenient to take that option. The location is brilliant. You always get a seat and you are not far into and out of town. East London is a great area to explore! The internet connection was wonderful, as was the hot shower . The room was not stuffy, nor smelly at all and the windows could let fresh air in. Huge bathroom and Quite room. We stayed in 205

Browse Hotel Citystay traveller photo gallery