Reviews of The Clifton 3 stars

43-46 Marine Road West, Morecambe, LA3 1BZ, United Kingdom

#25 of 27 hotels in Morecambe

Room size - in particular the space in the ensuite very limited

Good location on sea front - free parking - welcoming friendly staff - good substantial breakfast - spacious comfortable lounge and dining area - good food - great sea view of morecambe bay

Breakfast from 8 to 9 would have liked till 10 and although breakfast was not bad it was all pre cooked so eggs where rubbery

Very clean hotel. towels where perfect . Beds perfect.

Bad view in my room I was at the back of the hotel overlooking roofs My dad had a front view which was lovely

Lovely friendly staff, clean bedding and rooms a little outdated but that didn’t matter

• Family Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

As we was at the back it was very noisy form the kitchen fans also very warm as the opening window was small.

The room was comfortable and only a 5 minute walk into town.

Very small bathroom down a couple of steps... the sink was in the bedroom... the door didn't automatically - so you have to remember to make sure you've locked it before you go out..

good location right on the sea front, friendly staff, very nice breakfast, in the basement was a bar, a pool table, and a dancefloor...!!! Lots of coffee, tea and milk in the room, and even though the room was quite small there was ample storage space.

Very dated, furnishings old fashioned.Neither of the bedside lights worked. Room smelt very musty and only a small top window to open to try to get rid of the smell which made no difference.

Breakfast was ok, about what you would expect for the price. The two staff we saw were both pleasant.

Nothing really, just remember that it is supposed to be a budget hotel and NOT The Ritz.

Great location, right on the Prom'. Clean and comfortable with a place to park your bike...perfect for coast to coast/way of the roses rides. A lovely breakfast served VERY quickly by a very efficient young lady......I even had a sea view room. I got that lot for 35 quid....Brilliant value for money.

The only thing I could fault was that there was no towels supplied in the bathroom, just as well I fetched my own, don't know if it was an oversight on the staff as I didn't complain as I had my own.

It was really well located for my needs, can't argue with the price, and staff were great and breakfast was lovely...

At breakfast only eggs available were fried, scrambled or poached were not available. Area at the back of the hotel was run down and as we were unable to park our car on the sea front for the first night of our 2 night stay it was difficult to find a parking space in one of the streets at the back of the hotel as most spaces were restricted parking for 2 hours.

Room with sea view, clean room and comfortable beds. Had a good nights sleep. My husband enjoyed his cooked breakfast. Cereal, fruit, yoghurt and toast were also available.

We were told to dispose of used toilet tissue in the bin rather the toilet :-S didnt understand it at all

Very pretty very friendly and accomodating ... Apart from the toilet sitch

The lift is a bit small when carrying luggage, but otherwise fine

It is a three star that thinks its a four star. Rooms serviced daily. Owners very helpful. Wifi free throughout the hotel.

quality of some of the breakfast items could be improved - sausages for example seemed of low quality. The breakfast could have been warmer when served. I had the impression it had been kept warm for too long - the bacon was quite hard on 2 mornings.

Although the decor was very dated, the room was very clean and was comfortable. The bathroom facilities, although compact were more than adequate. The shower was very good, hot and powerful. The breakfast was more than adequate and offered a vegetarian option. The staff were very pleasant and helpful. Good value for the price we felt.

A (bit) far out of the main town (which didn't bother us but might be a negative to some people)

The staff are lovely- very friendly and helpful. Our room (49) had a great sea view. A very nice touch on Easter Sunday was the inclusion of hot cross buns -and little chocolate eggs, to the breakfast table. A great value stay in a good location.

everything was perfect

nice comfy room ,,great views across Morecambe bay ,,,,nice breakfast ,,,,very nice staff ,,,,we stayed for 3 ,nights ,,,,and had no complaints at all

Incorrect information - we expected private parking but on arrival, discovered that this was actually street parking

Plus and minus - As we were hoping to go diving in the morning, we asked if breakfast could be served earlier at 0730 - this was kindly agreed upon (although it seemed from staff feedback the following morning, that the chef was not really happy about this. The cereal and fruit were out at 0730 but the hot breakfast came served closer to 0800 without us being asked about our personal preferences (all either full English or vegetarian)...

The hotel is three houses joined together. This meant we were not near each other as we were there in all three sections. Although there was a ramp to the front door for the disabled we were not offered it's use for one of our number who struggled with the steps. Parking was also difficult near the property. They had a car park at the back but it was awkward to get to.

The property was near the Platform theatre which was our reason for going. The staff were friendly and choice of breakfast good.

Staff were warm and friendly. If I could take this hotel with me to everywhere I go I would. Food was excellent and the owner was a genuinely warm person.

The bed was very uncomfortable and the pillows were wafer thin. Apart from the check in we never saw anyone apart from 1 foreign waitress at breakfast

The position of the hotel on the sea front. The hotel was very clean even if a little dated.

Trying to get into the building on our arrival was difficult, we eventually had to phone them to say we where at the locked door. Unfortunately we could not shower as there was no hot water from the electric shower. Was unable to report this as could not find anyone

The breakfast was really good,

The breakfast times were 8 until 9 which I found difficult as I need a while to start moving in the morning due to osteoporosis. This meant that on a Saturday and Sunday morning, on holiday, I had to rise extra early. Having said that they offered to make me a sandwich if I didn't get down in time. I do think that an hour at this time isn't enough although I do understand the staff have to clear away then do the rooms. Next time I will make sure that I choose to stay where there is a later breakfast.

The breakfast was lovely and great choice. It was hot and the first morning I had a pot of tea the second morning it was servemyourself as much as you like.

The bathroom area was very small you could not move around. Very difficult to use shower facilities/ toilet due to the size. Breakfast times were early for a Sunday 8 am till 9 am

The hotel its self was welcoming. Clean and tidy There were lots of original features bedroom area was good. Bar was good Breakfast food was good

lify extremely small and felt like it was on its last legs !!

very clean although room a bit dated.breakfast excellent, overall felt had good value for money

The hot tap just dribbled. Maybe calciumed up. Shower temp varied so made showering difficult to maintain the temp without keeping on changing the controls.

Lovely sea view from our room. Good breakfast and friendly staff

Bedroom could do with a coat of paint round the door frames/skirting board; hot water in bathroom intermittent; washbasin in bathroom not cleaned properly & bed not made up properly on daily basis.

Bed was very comfortable; lighting in room was good; staff were pleasant; hotel handy for bus stop; food reasonable; good view from bedroom window over Morecambe Bay; lovely plant display in garden.

The place is old run down and could do with a serious lick of paint. Concerned that the polystyrene tiles on the bedroom ceiling would not meet fire regulations. No bedside table

It was close to the sea

If I had to pick something it would be slightly bigger pillows but that's just my taste

We liked everything about our stay the place had got character

It was all lovely.

Wonderful and warm welcome; delightful family running it; the two adult sons happened to be there and couldn't have been nicer to talk to at the bar; fun table tennis area; comfy beds, breathtaking views out to the Isle of Man; delicious breakfast. What more could one ask for?

The clinton is a clean comfortable hotel we had a seaview which was lovely. But could do with some up to date tlc. Though saying that we enjoyed our stay.

The breakfast was very good lots of choice and tasty.

The single room looked liked it had just been created. It was very small and a large piece of wall missing near the door.

Staff were helpful and the breakfast very nice and plenty full

The breakfast had already been plated up and kept warm but having said that it was edible if not a bit on the cool side

The room we were allocated (No 35) was very nice overlooking the bay with a table and 2 chairs located in the bay window - lovely to see the bay and for people watching - Towels changed daily

The floor in the room was very uneven causing a few stumbles. The bed was tilted so feet were higher than head. Constant banging of doors in neighbouring rooms. Walls paper thin could hear next rooms conversations and also upstairs.

The room was clean

It's a little dated but that did not matter.

The hotel staff, management were fantastic. Very friendly and helpful. Good breakfast served and I was offered extra toast after service was finished. They loaned me a plug to charge my phone and came to my room to help me with the tv. I got a good sea view too!

• Reviewed: 19 August 2017

When we booked the hotel was advertised as 9 miles from Cartmel racecourse, it is in fact 30 miles away. While the hotel was clean and comfortable, the bedrooms could do with decorating and updating. Breakfast would have been lovely but mine was only lukewarm, to be fair I could have sent it back but they were very busy so I let it go.

Staff were so helpful and friendly

Very dated throughout. In need of total re-decorating. Very small room. Two Steps down into shower/loo room were very dangerous in our double room (room 35) exspecially in the dark! Sink in the bedroom was "unusual" with mixer tap almost hanging off. Odd sized tea/coffee mugs and sour milk. Dirty net curtains up the small window with a wonderful view of a back alleyway, and curtains which were to small to draw properly. Wouldnt stay here again, but was only staying one night, whilst on way home from Scotland.

Directly on the sea front. Great breakfast. Comfortable bed. Friendly staff. Free parking.

No complaints really just what I wanted for my short stay

The staff were friendly nice and quiet and had sea view and very nice breakfast just everything needed for couple of nights

The location of the hotel on booking.com said it was 8.5 miles from where we were going when in actual fact it was over 33 miles so the information given was very misleading and incorrect .

The rooms were nice and clean,staff friendly and breakfast freshly cooked and nice and hot.

Was a bit noisy due to being on the sea front despite double glazing - if noise effecrs you might be better to request a room away from the main road. Also the drone of the people talking in the next room was a bit tedious.

The view of Morcambe Bay from my window.

No lift as advertised. Parking a nightmare in very small space. Room so small had no room to open bathroom door once bag inside room, bed hard, pillow flat no spares, had to dry myself in bedroom as not enough room in bathroom. Tired old hotel. Would not stay there again ever.

Breakfast was ok.

The 'ensuite' facilities were awful. The sliding door made a horrible squeaky noise, and it looked as though the whole ensuite had been built on as an addition. The pillows were very hard and uncomfortable. Although it said there was a bar with pool table and a dance floor, it wasn't actually open so we never saw it. We had to walk down the road to the bar in another hotel!

The breakfast was ok and the dining room was bright and clean. The staff were fairly friendly.

I slept soundly in the bed. The view from my room window was wonderful. The breakfast was filling and tasty. The hotel in general is very clean and the staff very pleasant and helpful.

The location isn't great at the West end and the steps are horrible for me to climb

I like magdalena very much she is always friendly and helpful.John the manager helped me when I was very unwell and I now consider him afriend

Shower room was small.

Great view from the room.Room was small but very cosy..Beds were comfortable and had a good nights sleep. Breakfast was good and the staff were very pleasant.

We were slightly concerned about fire safety; We found two fire doors wedged open. Even the unusually hot weather doesn't really excuse this.

All that a seaside guest house should be: Friendly, clean and comfortable and in a great location.

• Reviewed: 8 June 2017

It's a fair walk to central morecambe but there is a bus stop near

The staff could not have been more helpful.I have cancer and they helped me get in touch with a local physio

I had to pay upfront No parking No one on site One other person staying in hotel Minuscule lift to top floor Very POOR pre cooked, leathery breakfast, which I left My partner asked for scrambled egg and the foreign waitress looked at her strange and told us there was no one in the kitchen to cook it I would not recommend this place to anyone Is this why Morecambe is so far behind anywhere else in the NW England Looks good on the website, but think again if you are considering booking.

Working tv

tired and dated decor, and an unsightly broken bedroom door leaning against the wall on the landing opposite the lift

Close to the beach and easy parking

The housekeepers were knocking on the door at 9.45 am hurrying us out of the room for our 10am check out. At this point they had filled the corridor with linen and towels and we had to tiptoe through them with our luggage. Made to feel in a rush to get rid of us.

Location was good.

Friendly staff, great view from room. They let me have a late check out as I was running the 10k race in the morning. Couldn't have asked for more.

• Reviewed: 2 June 2017

We were put right at the top, Too many stairs, no lift. Owners didn't check that the room was locked accidently by previous guest. therefore we had to change rooms a couple of times.

Warm Friendly staff. Plenty to do if staying longer than a night.

• Reviewed: 12 May 2017

Attention to detail poor. Shabby in places but appeared clean. TV said it had a cable problem which I didn't bother to report.

Older style traditional seaside B&B. This is a large property and has games room, bar etc but was not busy when I visited.

• Reviewed: 6 May 2017

• Family Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

Bed was like a brick, as was the pillows room was cold , ensuite was cupboard / pantry!,,,,,,, the furniture was out dated breakfast was cold on the whole very very disappointing and will never return......

The wifi didn't work at all.

Very old school style hotel, with tonnes of character - however it is not modern so if thats what you're looking for this is not it. The room was spotlessly clean and faultless in that aspect. Great location right on the bay front and the town centre is just a 10 minute stroll away.

Had a bit of a problem parking the car as on street parking was full and had to park it a few streets away ....Also stairs up to the property was very steep...Not good if you have a disability.......

Nice and comfy beds and the lovely view

Room needs decorating damp on the walls if you like your shower hot cold hot cold you will be ok. Breakfast got smaller each day the tv in the bedroom didn't work very well and the bed had so many springs gone you moved and it made such a racket. The bar was never open even though it advertised dance floor and karaoke. The hallway downstairs was littered with broken doors and ladders not what you want to see when you walk down

View was beautiful from the bedroom and the hotel was close to the town centre

• Reviewed: 13 April 2017

Breakfast wasn't the best. Full English was just luke warm as if it had been prepared a while before serving

Bed really comfy, shower powerful and water hot, staff frienfly and helpful

• Reviewed: 3 April 2017

Great hotel! huge building and the staff are fantastic, very welcoming, we didnt have time for breakfast due to a very early start, the room i stayed in was small but more than enough for what i needed.

• Reviewed: 3 April 2017

The location was great, the staff were brilliant! they couldnt do anymore for us if they had tried, we were cycling from coast to to coast and they let us secure our bikes inside.

• Reviewed: 19 March 2017

the room I had was to small on one night and the door handle came off the following morning couldn`t lock it so changed rooms, and the other was to cold so got small heater to heat the room.

the breakfast

Very small. Bathroom main light did not work. The lift did not work when checking out so precarious trip down the winding narrow stairs with the bags. Breakfast was dry and basic.

Sea view room

Couldn't find any access codes for free wi-fi

Breakfast! Comfortable bed, good facilities, lift a little frightening for my friend's partner, all in all a very good and comfortable place to stay.

• Reviewed: 2 December 2016

Shower was scolding hot or freezing cold!! Breakfast was pre - cooked and slightly warm!! Please don't invite Gordon Ramsey..... Bacon and sausage were like cardboard.

Cheap, comfortable bed and a nice view

• Reviewed: 8 November 2016

Decor maybe a little quaint in places but our room was lovely.

Breakfast was delicious and plentiful.Bed was clean very comfortable and extra pillows were available.

• Reviewed: 6 November 2016

Liked this value for money accommodation and the welcome from the owner. The room I had was comfortable and I slept well. Breakfast next morning was ok. There are plenty of food outlets in the surrounding area.

• Reviewed: 3 November 2016

Double room on third floor was very small. Walls very thin. Extremely small reception.

Wonderful view of bay. Rooms had everything you needed. Delicious breakfast. Good facilities.

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

Stood outside for several minutes in the drizzle before someone came to let us in. Mouldy bathroom in bedroom and chairs so low your knees are up by your chin if you sit on them. High noise levels if anyone walked past. Breakfast was horrible, all precooked and kept warm until they served it to you. Another person staying there asked if they could have a runny egg and were simply told 'No'

Clean white sheets

• Reviewed: 8 October 2016

The lovely welcome. Made to feel like a family member. Was truly unexpected and lovely. Quiet nights stay. Good clean rooms. Hearty breakfast. Would stay again.

• Reviewed: 27 September 2016

Shower suffered from low pressure at busy times.

Brilliant staff especially Magda who would be an asset wherever she was. Brilliant location, would happily stay there again.

• Reviewed: 8 September 2016

Would have liked to have had our evening meals in the hotel. This may have allowed us to meet other people and used the facilities ie. bar, games rooms and lounge. This would be an advantage to the owners to increase there profits as no one was using these good facilities. Not many good eating places locally.

Good size room overlooking the bay. Nice lounge and dining room. Bar was nice and homely with large T.V. and plenty if comfy seats pity there were not a lot of guests using it.

• Reviewed: 8 September 2016

I could not fault this hotel

The staff were really friendly, and went out of their way to make your stay perfect, I would be recommending this hotel to my friends.

• Reviewed: 5 September 2016

The on street parking is difficult so not ideal. The hotel is in need of some renovation.

The hotel is located well on the seafront. The breakfast was very good and served quickly.

• Reviewed: 31 August 2016

Leak in bedroom from ceiling on 3rd night, then some ceiling fell on to the floor and on to me, didn't get much help from owners especially as I was injured

Staff were pleasant

• Reviewed: 30 August 2016

Room had a musty smell Breakfast was good but the bacon and egg wasn't Wifi was good when it worked but didn't work for a couple of hours

Staff were very friendly Easy to park

• Reviewed: 30 August 2016

......but on check in I was not informed what the wifi password was or when breakfast was served... which was at a ridiculous 8.15 to 9.30!!.....

The bed was very comfy........ ......However, was cheap!

• Reviewed: 30 August 2016

The electrics in room are a bit in need of some tlc. bathroom a bit tight , cupboard in bedroom blocked off access to next room but not noise Place needs an make over

Lovely people running it.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2016

"Chemical" toilets in some rooms very noisy, and mine backed up into the shower cubicle, which was pretty gross. Proprietor advised "That happens". Check: book a room with a normal loo!

Breakfast staff attentive but not obtrusive. Brilliantly has an residents' lounge.