Reviews of Cocoon @ International Inn + Apartments 3 stars

4 South Hunter Street, Liverpool, L1 9JG, United Kingdom

#44 of 86 Holiday rentals in Liverpool

OK for last minute bookings on a budget but the hygiene really let's it down.
    • Double Room - No Window

Room hadn't been cleaned properly! Toilet had clearly been used by someone and was a mess! Bathroom generally had a damp smell and there was a hair inside the sheets. Mattress was hard and uncomfortable.

Centrally located, cheap rooms and friendly staff.

Good price for the location
    • Double Room - No Window

There was a blue light on all night in the room which didn’t make the night sleep relaxing, it was the only thing that I could fault with the room

The location is good, the price is really good. It was clean

I won’t come back or recommend it
    • Double Room - No Window

Rooms are nice & clean except there’s no WiFi connection from the rooms which is very important for me & worst of all I couldn’t even make a phone call as there’s no signal so I’m not very happy with my stay 😇Difinetely not going back again .

Centre location, rooms are clean & quite nice

wouldnt stay again
    • Double Room - No Window

was no remote with telly the bed werent as comfy the room smelt sort of like mold plus the staff took are full deposit because she said it smelt like weed in the room

love the bathroom

When i entered the hosted with was excellented but after two...
    • Double Room - No Window

When i entered the hosted with was excellented but after two day of my staying the towel need to change and I ask the recieption the cleaners dont entered my room

Does what it says.
    • Double Room - No Window

A slight damp odour. Air con might of been a bonus.

An underground hotel, close to Hope Street, handy for the Philharmonic and the Everyman. Clean spacious room.

Fabulous apartments for the price, perfect for a weekend break.
    • Double Room - No Window

The bathroom was spotless but could do with a spruce up, A couple of bedside lamps in the bedroom would be nice so you can read in bed. It's not a complaint just an observation.

We stayed in an apartment at the Cocoon international, we were very pleased with the accommodation, very spacious and clean perfect for a weekend. Kitchen not that well equipped with pans etc but that didn't both us as we did no cooking, plenty crockery and cutlery. The staff are fabulous, very friendly and lots of advice and information about where to go.

Thoroughly enjoyable stay in appartment 6 i would highly recommend to anyone and will be back again
    • Three-Bedroom Apartment

Was not told in advance of £300 deposit Would like to see mop n bucket sweeping brush t towels in self catering appartment What did we not like ? only having to leave ,we wish we were staying longer than 2 nights as this place really is fantastic so homely we cooked twice a day for a group of 5 had such a lovely stay .

Spotlessly clean well equiped home from home 6bed appartment only thing missing in appartment was a brush , mop and bucket and a t towel but wow it sure was homely we felt so at home we did not want to leave.

Needs a little improvement in house
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

Bed was very uncomfortable pillows were flat..shower was a nightmare burning hot or freezing cold. Toilet was dirty it had been used before we entered the room .

Good position ..helpful staff and if it was cleaner with a comfy bed and pillows itcwould of been great!!

My birthday weekend
    • Double Room - No Window

No window..no aircon..stuffy..no air circulation in the room..no reception with phones..tv kept coming on through the night..very uncomfortabl!!

Staff was friendly..and shower was good..very clean

Beds were comfy reception was friendly not far from main...
    • Twin Room - No Window

Bad wifi connection, dirty towels , no tv remote , they got the wrong room to start with.

Beds were comfy reception was friendly not far from main square

The room was terrible.
    • Double Room - No Window

The room was terrible. Don't know from where it starts and where it ends. Bathroom had no exhaust. It's like living inside a tunnel. The room in the pic was completely different. Staff was good. Nothing with them just didn't like the room.

For the price you wont find better apartments in liverpool
    • One-Bedroom Twin Apartment

Booked on a bank holiday weekend for one night, only booked because it was much cheaper than everywhere else. I have to say my expectations were definitely blown away! It was a great size apartment, comfortable, clean and in a great location. Would definitely recommend!

The rooms were nice
    • Double Room - No Window

We had no Wi-Fi for a few days and when we complained we were told to go down the hall to get Wi-Fi. The lift wasn't working either

The rooms were nice

Property was good,but lifts were out of order.
    • Twin Room - No Window

Property was good,but lifts were out of order. Also WiFi wasn't working a night before my check out till I actually checked out. No mobile connection in my room😐

Good value room in central location, safe, warm and comfortable.
    • Double Room - No Window

I know the room is advertised as not having a window as it's in the basement but I was still surprised by how oppressive that felt! I was only staying for one night so it didn't bother me too much.

Really warm comfortable room. Provision of tea and coffee was a nice touch. The staff were friendly and helpful and really it felt more like a hotel stay than a hostel. The location is great, just a short walk away from all the main sights and lots of shops and bars nearby.

large room, clean, friendly staff, comfortable bed
    • Double Room - No Window

some small things: remote didn’t work, room in basement (no window), room was constantly a little warm

large room, clean, friendly staff, comfortable bed

Stayed for Rock and Roll half marathon weekend - liked it so much, we’re booking again for next year
    • Twin Room - No Window

No soap in the bathroom but that was the only fault in a lovely stay.

For a busy weekend in Liverpool, the room in the basement was lovely and quiet which was perfect!

A good choice for Liverpool city center
    • Twin Room - No Window

The room gave me the sensation that the cleaning could be done better. The floor was a bit sticky, but that could be only my feeling. The room was a bit noisy because of a fan they have on the hallway for ventilation.

The location was excellent. Both for exploring the city center and traveling to Manchester. It was also very close to Baltic Triangle. The room was an windowless/underground, so most probably less noisy than other rooms in the city center of Liverpool. The staff was very helpful and pleasant to talk with. Good value for the money.

Boutique Hotel Fantastic for anyone, families, solo, older travellers, friends.
    • Double Room - No Window

I should have put the heating on abit in the room because when l woke the next day it was abit cold. Probably because it was a big double pod type room with no window. My error. Every thing else fantastic. I DIDN'T mind the pod room with no window as it was lovely and big, spotlessly clean, kettle and free teas and coffee plus a plug in desk fan on big desk , chair, cupboard wardrobe had a safe in it plus a hair dryer, all bright white lights, shower and fresh modern feel to it. Plus big TV and large modern en suite bathroom with big powerful shower, free toiletries and Fresh fluffy towels. ALL EXCELLENT FOR THE PRICE. Would stay for a week when l visit Liverpool again as located a 10 minute walk from lime St Station also on bus routes. Also quiet at night even though others staying had been to football and were a bit merry. They didn't wake me, the whole hotel was relaxing and staff could not do enough to help. There was a sitting room with big TV to meet up with friends or family staying there, plus a computer games room and free WiFi in hotel. There was food cafe in the apartment side of the hotel next door. There was also a good traditional pub with restaurant on the corner by the hotel (the flute) with great British food at good prices. I would even recommend this boutique hotel - even with rooms without windows to families or couples as well as solo traveller like me. It was so clean bright and airy. Fantastic value for anyone of any age.

See negative comment as whole comment there. It really is a fantastic find for anyone of any age. DO Not be put off by pod rooms with no window - because of the feel of the rooms and hotel in general is fantastic. I would stay a week next time with family or friends and have recommended it to my elderly parents and their friends because it's so good and location great with bus routes and a 10 minute walk to lime Street station. Great for any age. Please read my negative comment as l could Not fault this hotel and explain all good things in more detail.

It was clean, the staff were friendly!
    • Double Room - No Window

The beds were uncomfortable, We had a basement room, although we were aware there was no window, it was very warm and stuffy! I had no phone signal and the WiFi was temperamental!

It was clean, the staff were friendly! Pretty good for what we expected in terms of value for money

Enjoyable for a short stay
    • Double Room - No Window

We were in room 201 and the maintenance lift woke us up with a sound like someone was trying to drill through the wall. Not had this issue before when we stayed but we were in a different room

Always a hassle free stay

Fantastic weekend reminiscing with uni friends made so much better by the comfort of the flat.
    • Three-Bedroom Apartment

A couple of minor faults in flat (broken toilet light and no corkscrew). Staff were helpful with this though. Only sockets near mirrors in 1 room.

Modern, well equipped kitchen, quiet location despite being in city centre. Slept very well in the bed. Excellent value for money.

Short & sweet excellent extra hour to leave was biggest bonus (friends 50th) staff are excellent
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

There why s nothing to dislike

We only ever go to the cocoon to the apartment side it’s spacious clean the service of checking in is always friendly & they remember us as we’ve been a few times now it’s only a small taxi ride to main places

Didn’t sleep well!
    • Double Room - No Window

Room was tiny. You could barely walk round the bed. Had to stand the chair in the clothes hanging area to make more room. There was a constant whistling noise which was the air filtration vent thing I think. Annoying bright blue light by door (I’m sure this is a legal fire requirement). Bed very hard and was told beds were all kingsize but I’m not sure it was. I knew the room would have no window which was fine but it just wasn’t comfortable really. You get what you pay for and it was cheap.

It was cheap. Shower very powerful. Good location. Liverpool were playing at home so all hotel rooms ridiculously expensive.

Nice staff.
    • Double Room - No Window

Beds were uncomfortable. Awake all night. Smelt damp. Water leak right outside apartment door. No parking close by. No wifi. Overpriced. Very small.

Nice staff. Clean room and bathroom.

Great place to stay and not to far to walk fron the Station.
    • Double Room - No Window

Only a small point but the door to the room was very hard to lock from the inside. Just a bit of adjustment needed.

I have stayed at the Cocoon before and always found it comfortable and the staff very friendly.

Perfect for short stay. Accommodation as described and close to city centre.
    • Double Room - No Window

Shower was extremely hot with no temperature control. Bedroom door had to be slammed to close.

Handy to city centre and transport. It was cheap and cheerful and was perfect for a short trip.

Booked a room without windows so it was dark enough to sleep.
    • Double Room - No Window

No wifi in the room and on top of that no roaming so was without any communication whilst in room. Matrass could have been better and maybe needs replacement. Shower was good but one morning in lack of hot water so at end of March when it's still cold outside a real bummer. First night I came back in and my key card didn't work. It needed to be reactivated, which is a drag at 5am. Pretty noisy hotel so had to wear earplugs to sleep.

Booked a room without windows so it was dark enough to sleep. Room was clean. Fair price.

We knew that there was no Windows but would of thought there...
    • Double Room - No Window

We knew that there was no Windows but would of thought there would have been some air conditioning we had too cut our stay short has we couldn't breath that ruined our stay

It was very central, had lots of eateries and bars nearby.
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

On arrival it was very cold, I'd advise maybe having staff pop the heaters on in preparation for guests checking in, the bed was quite uncomfortable possibly in need of a new mattress, the walls were very thin to hear every time someone entered or left the building.

It was very central, had lots of eateries and bars nearby. The check in and check out was easy and the apartment was a great size, clean and tidy.

Could not fault the Cocoon but I replied to Booking.
    • Double Room - No Window

Could not fault the Cocoon but I replied to Booking.com about the extra person you never passed this on to the hotel, they couldn’t accommodate all 3 of us on Sat night the reception she tried her best couldn’t fault her. Only my son and I stayed on Saturday night my husband roamed the streets couldn’t get an affordable room. So I was disappointed as you didn’t send my request to the cocoon. They got me a room for the Sunday night. In future I will contact them direct as you’re not helping Sorry

Nice clean bathroom and tea making facilities.
    • Single Room - No Window

But poor wifi (I know this info is given on booking) but also only radio available on the TV. Stains on the sheet under the pillow

Nice clean bathroom and tea making facilities. .

Great location for a budget trip to Liverpool
    • Twin Room - No Window

We left our bags at the hotel's luggage storage room the day we left to explore the city. Upon our return to the hotel there was nobody at reception and no contact number to call. After a ten minute wait somebody came to reception, but we almost missed our train...a bit of a scare!

Cocoon was great value for money and in a fabulous location close to Bond Street and only a ten minute walk from Lime Street train station. Room was clean and staff were friendly. Don't expect the Ritz, but a great choice for a budget stay in central Liverpool. Would recommend to others.

Grand now
    • Single Room - No Window

Lack of natural light, but at night that doesn't matter.

It was what I needed, a comfortable bed before a long day of meetings in the University next door.

The staff were welcoming and helpful but friendly and...
    • Twin Room - No Window

The loo didn't flush very well. I had been going to mention it but had to leave early

The staff were welcoming and helpful but friendly and unfussy. The room was simple, clean and comfortable. Also quiet.

I thought I was in a sauna.
    • Double Room - No Window

The heat of the room at night.

I have stayed at the International Inn Cocoon many times before and always enjoyed my stay. This time we were given room 221. It was a lot smaller than previous rooms I have stayed in at the International Inn. The heat at night was unbearable. They had supplied a desk fan to cool down the room but it did very little.

I was pleasantly surprised with the room;
    • Twin Room - No Window

I was pleasantly surprised with the room; comfortable and roomy. Plenty of tea and coffee, good shower. Great value for money and the location is great.

Comfortable friendly accommodation.. met my needs
    • Double Room - No Window

The room I had was fine and comfortable but there was a constant background noise most of the night like a constant door opening and closing. Only disappointing part

Staff were friendly and efficient

Value for money in a central location
    • Double Room - No Window

Everyone who worked there was super nice. The location was good and the general feel of the place was ok. However the maintenance on certain aspects of my room (loose bathroom tiles and wall affixed toilet) should have been addressed before renting the room out. Apart from that a really satisfactory stay

Just OK
    • Double Room - No Window

Internet connection and very poor mobile signal WiFi unavailable in room and limited availability in corridor OK in commonal kitchen

location, clean, good hot shower

fair
    • Double Room - No Window

Safe door would not shut and where it was you hit ankle on it whenever you walked around the bed. Please no phone signal so my family was worried as could not contact me

Clean room

Everything.
    • One-Bedroom Twin Apartment

The only one bad thing was the double bed was actually 2 single beds that were pushed together and kept sliding apart.

Everything. Location was fantastic. It was like a home away from home

Bed is really comfy and the hotel is in a good location.
    • Double Room - No Window

Wifi connection is poor as the room is underground. Wardrobe area not cleaned - sticky substance all over it. No soap in the bathroom.

Bed is really comfy and the hotel is in a good location.

Brilliant for the price
    • Double Room - No Window

My one and only thing I didn’t like was the blue light over the door in the room. I understand why it’s there in case of a fire but I found very bright. So when I stay again I’ll bring an eye mask

Excellent location less than a 10 minute walk to Bold Street and about 13 min walk to central station. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Room nicely decorated and very clean. As it windowless remember to set your alarm easy to oversleep hehe

The hotel is well located and the service is operating...
    • Double Room - No Window

The water wasn’t enough hot the first day of my stay but was afterwards. Rooms are not soundproofed so I could hear people walking and discussing in the hallway.

The hotel is well located and the service is operating 24/24. The staff was friendly and helpful.

It was a terrible experience I had.
    • Double Room - No Window

You can’t use wifi in the room and my bed spring was broken, and there has a lot of dust. There has strange smell in bath room. My room was like the basement. There was no sun!! Because there has no window! I stayed 2 nights:( It was terrible.

Just location was good.

As somewhere to sleep it was ok but new beds would be appreciated as would better sound insulation
    • Double Room - No Window

The bed was ok but the springs were rather too obvious! The wifi did not reach the room - as it is 'communal' and most of the time did not even work in the corridors. There was a lot of noise from upstairs and the corridors in the night

The location was great for the universities where I was attending a conference

We came for NYE & the Liverpool game. Great location, can walk to everything, much cheaper than else
    • Double Room - No Window

There was no aircon & as there was no window in the room it was very hot. There was a small fan but it didn’t really do much. We stayed in winter, not sure if I would have coped if it was summer.

Great location, friendly staff & great value for money.

Comfortable
    • Double Room - No Window

No wifi in the rooms and barely works in the common spaces

The room was a good size and very clean and comfortable. Bathroom was nice with hot showers! Staff were very friendly and helpful. Location is great!

Great location for a great visit to an area of Liverpool that has a buzz
    • Double Room - No Window

Was a little noisy in the corridors and from anarchy or club nearby. The bathroom although clean had a smell to it.

Location is great for central Liverpool

NO WIFI, NO TELEPHONE RECEPTION ...
    • Double Room - No Window

Although one was informed on website that there would be no windows in the room, I was unaware that the rooms were UNDERGROUND until I arrived .... NO telephone reception at all - and not just from service provider.. NO wifi in room nor even in my corridor standing directly by the "WIFI zone" sign No drawers - only a few hangers No kettle in room. Soap in bathroom was only provided in the shower, none at the sink which meant one had to step into the shower every time to wash one's hands for example. Having said that, the soap dispenser in the shower was glued to the holder and the pump on lid was ill-fitting and therefore did not work at all. Television was placed too high to view efficiently

Room was a decent size with plenty of mirrors!

No WIFI, No telephone reception ...
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

Room was a decent size. Big long mirror + a small one

Close to the train station, very close to a good pub and some nice restaurants. Great price too !
    • Double Room - No Window

Five minute walk from the station. Cracking pub two doors down. Nice large room and the shower was fantastic. I was warned the room had no window but it was large, airy and the bed was excellent. To be honest I was so drunk at the end of the night I wouldn’t have been able to see out of the window anyway.

The staff @ Cocoon International where exceptional at making...
    • Double Room - No Window

The staff @ Cocoon International where exceptional at making our stay extra special. They really pulled put all the stops in helping my partner plan his proposal. Very nice people. Thanks again!

Brilliant for a short stay
    • Twin Room - No Window

Being picky would say bathroom was slightly worn but for the great price it was easily good enough and was still extremely clean.

Friendly staff great location and value for money. Very clean!

Great weekend away in a fab city.
    • Double Room - No Window

Rooms are small but very clean and adequate for our needs. Third time we have stayed here and find them ideal for our stay. Reception staff very helpful and friendly. Good location with approximately 15-20 minute walk into city centre.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

Warm.
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

Settees ripped..no bedside lamps..other items on list of items provided missing..reported to reception who apparently were passing to management!!

Warm..good location for theatre

• One-Bedroom Apartment

The bathroom stunk of damp The bed was lumpy and uncomfortable No bedside lamp Towels were cheap Bedroom and bathroom felt like not very nice student accommodation Sofas cheap and uncomfortable

Room was clean, hotel is a 15-minute walk from city center
    • Double Room - No Window

Rooms with no windows can be pretty gloomy. Wi-fi basically non existent anywhere in the hotel (not even in the communal areas, where the staff say it works).

Room was clean, hotel is a 15-minute walk from city center

Very clean, modern comfortable rooms.
    • Double Room - No Window

No Wifi in rooms is the only downside. In fairness they do not try to hide this fact and it is well documented before arrival.

Very clean, modern comfortable rooms. Great shower and really nice staff.

Everything you’d need for a stay over in Liverpool
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

Their wasn’t anything we didn’t like wed of preferred a 12 o’clock lock up n check out time lol

We had an apartment it was just what we wanted clean large with little extras like towels toilet too ( only missing some fresh milk) for the tea .. friendliest staff helped us with our bags and showing us where we could get breakfast too

Good, with a few problems.
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

Bathroom was cold, no heated towel rail, shower cubicle really dark. No bedside light in bedroom so unable to read in bed. Entrance to apartment 2 in like an alley, very dark, not lit . The entrance quite a walk from entrance to hotel reception. Tears in the comfortable chairs. Building work nearby so not a nice area outside. No breakfast quite bad for £90 especially as it was advertised as £65

It was an apartment with kettle, microwave, fridge etc really nice free wifi which was good.

unless you are a student with University of liverpool , DO NOT USE THIS PROPERTY.
    • Double Room - No Window

The rooms are noisy for anyone coming down or up or moving, since the hostel is underground. they say that hotel has internet, YES and NO! because they have one router that can reach a couple of rooms. but no internet neither in lobby nor in rooms. not even paid internet. and of course you are underground your phone wont have coverage.

it was 5 minutes far from philarmonic hall where we were graduating . also close to shops are restaurants.

Was ok. Bed let the place down
    • Double Room - No Window

location was a bit of a walk to the centre. The bed was horrible and springs all poking through on one side of the bed. The room is not cleaned daily.

Nice staff members.

Ok, good location but would not return to this hotel
    • Double Room - No Window

Basic budget rooms, cool shower, annoying blue fire escape light in the room on at all times and the doors didn't always lock automatically when leaving the room

Location is good and staff were friendly

5* Star in a 5* city
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

The apartment was one of the cleanest I have ever stayed in!! The kitchen was well equipped. The location was perfect, only a 10 mins walk to the city centre

The staff were very friendly & helpful The room was very...

Nothing at all

The staff were very friendly & helpful The room was very clean and tidy and excellent value for the money. Location was quite good too

Terrible.
    • Double Room - No Window

The ceiling leaked we were moved to hostel rooms where the noise keep us awake all night. No tea or coffee facilities and no tv. Left at 7am with the promise of a call from the manager. Thus hasn't happened. Would never go near the place again.

Man in reception was helpful and friendly. That's it.

Good value.
    • Double Room - No Window

Freestanding toilets that didn't feel very secure and no hot water. As there were no windows, the air was very stale and dry. Could be quite noisy at times.

Nice sized rooms and friendly staff. The bed was quite comfortable and there was plenty of tea, milk and sugar. Good heaters too.

Nice hotel
    • Twin Room - No Window

WIFI wasn't working, there was no phone connection in the room.

Very nice room, comfortable bed, kettle and tea was in the room. Very good location. Direct bus to the airport is just around the corner.

Home away from home
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

A lovely apartment in an ideal location for bars and restaurants. 20 mins walk to the main attractions and a nearby secure and good value car park on Heathfield street.

Very central location , room soundproofing excellent .
    • Double Room - No Window

Initially the below ground bedrooms were a little strange ... no window ...

Very central location , room soundproofing excellent .. very comfortable beds

I booked that hotel as a kind of emergency and had a room in...
    • Double Room - No Window

The hotel is practically in the city centre, so for the price I paid, with the comfort provided, you could not honestly complain about anything.

I booked that hotel as a kind of emergency and had a room in a basement without a window, which I wasn't quite sure I could like. Surprisingly, it was arranged in a way that gave it a lot of charm. The bathroom was very simple, but clean and did its job. Overall, bearing in mind that I spent the days outside and only needed the bed to sleep on, I will probably chose that hotel for my entire next trip to Liverpool.

Over-priced for a basement room without windows.
    • Double Room - No Window

no air conditioning in basement, just a very small fan, which, if left on all night, would have kept me awake. The price of £58 for one night in a room without windows was far too expensive

lift access to basement; coffee making facilities