Reviews of Crown Hotel Brackley 3 stars

20 Market Place, Brackley, NN13 7DP, United Kingdom

#5 of 5 hotels in Brackley

6.1

There suppose to be 24hr Reception. I missed my check in time. As it was 22:00 last you can check after that you can’t . As doors are closed so first night I slept in front of hotel . In my car . Even though I paid to hotel .

• Standard Double or Twin Room (1 Adult)

Décor in room a little tired and TV reception occasionally interupted for a few seconds by vehicles going past. No on-site parking but free from 3pm until 11am opposite in market square.

Had an evening meal there in the bar area. The fish and chips were great and a great price too! Hoped to try the beer but antibiotics prevented that, but great value soft drinks. Good shower in room. Good nights sleep. They had a good staff team during my visit. Thank you Crown Hotel

• Family Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

Room was in attic up several flights of stairs one of which was extremely narrow and curved. Room in former attic. Dark.

Staff were friendly enough. Location was good in town and surrounding area.

Room wasn't ready when we arrived at the correct checkin time and no spaces in the carpark. This was important as we were going to a wedding at 3pm and I had telephoned the day before to ask if we could check in a little earlier but this was refused, so we expected the room to be ready. However after waiting for 20 minutes we were suddenly given the keys to a different room which was apparently ready.. We only had 20 minutes to unpack and change so we could get to the church before the bride. We were told to park in the market square which was fine but we were told it had a car park for guests. The TV in the room didn't work at all - no signal. The furniture in the room was very old and the upholstery on the chair was torn.

Bed was clean and comfortable ,ensuite was very clean with lots of hot water and lovely fluffy white towels.

The poor choice at breakfast!! Cold coffee as the coffee want checked or replaced for an hour of breakfast as we were watching and waiting for it to be changed

Felt like the flooring was all uneven! When walking across the bedroom floor felt like I was drunk. That was room 7 so I don’t know what other rooms aren’t like

• Standard Double or Twin Room (1 Adult)

The mattress was probably the worst I’ve slept on for years. It was ‘plastic ‘ covered with springs almost poking through. To be comfy I put doubled counterpane on mattress then half the duvet under me and the other half over. Only then was I comfy. The rails in bathroom were very rusty and the room smelt of stale smoke. When I complained in the morning the man was pleasant but seemed uninterested saying, “yes that room is ready for refurbishment ‘. This was not worth the money. I was very disappointed.

Convenience

Does no-one in the area drink beer;offerings poor (1) or non-available. Breakfast eggs cool

Hotel fine but decor tired in many places. Room and food good value for money. Good location.Grandaughter relocated to area so will re-visit

The only issue was the lack of plug sockets, we had to put the kettle on the nightstand and only one of us could charge our phone over night.

The free breakfast was actually surprisingly good for what is essentially a budget room.

• Standard Double or Twin Room (1 Adult)

We stay at this hotel often as it's convenient and usually cheap and understand it's not 4/5 star quality, maybe I just got the staff on a bad day but we seemed to be an inconvenience, as they had finished serving food I asked the manager if we could bring some thing in he said yes, at 22.45 we went to the Bar for our first drink and were met with a grumpy yes but we would not be able to have another that night, ten minutes later we where told we could not eat in the bar area and at 23.00 told that we along with other guests would have to finish our drinks some were else.

The mattress on the double bed in room 14 was so old it not only offered no support, the springs could be felt through it.The carvery meat was overcooked and tough. The breakfast was so awful we left it and went to a Toby restaurant down the road. A lot of the staff could not understand what we said. One of the bar staff had to ask another girl to help when we ordered a gin and tonic 😳

No soap in ensuite, shower gel was in packets, no hair shampoo,had to get hairdryer from reception, good breakfast but no staff available to ask questions staff arrived about 10 minutes after sitting down, little touches missing fire grate in bar had not been cleaned out for a few days. Needs updating.

Olde coaching Inn with character, comfortable bed, good shower we had a room at the rear which was quiet and gave us a good night's sleep. Good location in town centre also free parking.

When one of the customers through their food on the floor because he's misses it upsetting, but the manager handed it very well.

It was friendly close to the town, I had friends that came for an evening meal with me and the food was good

Good meal in restaurant but slow service (it was not busy). Need to improve on this.

Location. Parking. En-suite room. Breakfast included. Bar. Restaurant / Bar meals.

The food was unfortunately not of the best quality. However, when we raised the issue with the manager we were offered a refund on the final bill without demur.

Staff were friendly, polite, attentive and helpful.

• Standard Double or Twin Room (1 Adult)

Bed was very hard, had a cold shower in the morning and the curtains were so thin that the sunlight shone straight in to the room at dawn. Breakfast, burnt croissants and danish pastries and no eggs!

Good location, large rooms, inexpensive.

My only slight gripe, without which it would have been given a 10 for everything, was an out of tune telly. Many channels were unavailable.

A lovely centuries-old coaching inn, with signs still evident of the archway passing through, and the stables at the back. It's also in an ultra-convenient High Street location.

Mattress in Room 3 a little... challenging

The staff are really friendly and helpful. The rooms have always been well presented and clean. Breakfast sausages and bacon are good quality from the local butcher (next door - also worth a visit).

Maybe they could start earlier and have a member of staff on duty earlier than 7.30

couldn't experience breakfast we had to leave earlier than they provided!

• Standard Double or Twin Room (1 Adult)

Waited 10 mins at reception whilst the receptionist finished his phone call. No heating in room. Very thin quilt. So I was cold all night. No plug in the sink. Breakfast was lukewarm.

Was convenient for the venue I was attending.

Dated decor, peeling walls & ceiling Flat pillows Breakfast - burnt croissants, long wait for eggs & bacon to be replenished on buffet. When they arrived eggs were swimming in oil. Low quality sausages. Lack of dressing table & mirror in room Poor lighting to get ready No hooks on bathroom door Stale musty smell throughout

Formula one memorabilia Wi fi good Location

• Standard Double or Twin Room (1 Adult)

Didn't like 2 x persons arguing in bar area. The staff eventually dealt with this and one person was asked to leave whilst the 2nd remained. Food again was an issue. It took a long time in coming and the starter was omitted. I wasn't offered a discount. Previous week there was an issue with chips. The hotel really needs to get a grip on this. I didn't really like the room I was in this time ... perhaps next visit will try to get a ground floor option. A look at the cleaning in the general areas is a must and toilets. Even in the room ... toilet bowl badly stained. Little bleach or loo cleaner would be great.

This was my 2nd visit in just over a week. I was in the area and thought would give another try.

Wonky steep stairs that my 80 year old Mother struggled with.

Don’t believe the bad reviews. I asked for a modernised room and was give a nice attic room. Full English breakfast was a nice surprise. Bar area was good with an open log fire and drinks were very reasonable.

The first choice of room given was not very safe or comfortable

The hotel manager was very kind and gave us a different room because the bed wasn't comfortable. Scrambled egg made to order just how I asked

• Standard Double or Twin Room (1 Adult)

Customer service was an absolute minimum with little to no interaction. Greeted at check in and check out extremely poorly to be honest. Crown hotel wanted £60 for a single person! Luckily I got a refund from booking.com of £25 making the price £35! Wouldn’t pay anything over £35!!! Couldn’t have a shower in the morning due to no hot water, bed was ridiculously squeaky and the place is so dingy. Overall the experience was bad, staff really need direction as far as basic hospitality is concerned.

Room was freezing no radiators were on in bedroom or bathroom only small plug in heater found in wardrobe which hardly made any difference. Told staff and they said they had fixed it but when we returned to room radiators were still cold.

Food was nice. Lots of character with nice fire in bar. Staff were very friendly.

• Standard Double or Twin Room (1 Adult)

Car parking a pain as had to keep moving it in morning to fit in with parking restrictions. Although very nice,breakfast a little disappointing after high quality of evening meal.

Great location right in the heart of the town. Very friendly and accommodating staff. Evening meal in restaurant outstanding! Room new and lovely.

• Standard Double or Twin Room (1 Adult)

A little dated, and in need of a face lift in places, but was a nice stay. Noisy with the road frontage but at present the hotel have tried to compensate with the use of secondary glazing. I advised waitress that the chips were a little hard, but nothing was said and I did not get a discount on the food.

The welcome was warm and I was pleasantly surprised with the hotel. The prices appeared very reasonable for food and drink. Has again the makings of being a great hotel with a little TLC. Lots of character, creaky floorboards and stacked with history allegedly going back to King John and the Magna Carta days.

Production of the second course at the evening meal took longer than I would expect for a "bog" standard item on the menu on the first evening when hardly anyone was there...

Dinner was not good, lamb shank was tough and fried fish well over cooked. We were given free drinks and pudding as a consolation so not bad but need to improve.

Comfortable beds, nice homely bar.

I actually was at the Hotel early and waited for about 15mins for someone to come to reception - but no-one appeared so I left and got a coffee at Costa. Then came back because I was concerned i would get booked for parking and waited about 5mins for someone to appear, which they did and I was able to check-in a bit earlier - which was great.

• Standard Double or Twin Room (1 Adult)

No soap in the room not enough staff,receptionist and the girl who served meals , seemed to have cope with reception bar and meal serving. They worked hard in my view.

No hot water in bathroom which was unheated (towel rail not working. Bedroom cold on arrival when heating came on it was inadequate and had to supplementes with electric radiator. Ordered steaks for dinner,both medium rare,mine was rare and my wifes was so rare it was inedible and had to ask staff for a steak knife which did not help.

Comfortable bed

Admittedly we stayed on the 17th March when the temperature had plummeted and it was snowing, but our room was freezing cold - the radiator which was turned up high couldn’t cope, and it speaks volumes when you find a spare one in the wardrobe, however even with this on it was still very cold in the room. Some proper double glazing and heavy duty curtains would probably do the job. The breakfast was a buffet, but there was nothing available when we sat down and then each item was brought out separately ie bacon, then a few minutes later sausages, and so on, so first items were cold by the time the plate was full. The towels in the bathroom were placed on the toilet seat, somewhat unhygienic, rather than on the towel rail or a shelf or even the bed. And finally, clothes hung in the wardrobe, when removed in the morning smelt musty. Not good enough when your charging £75 a night!

NOTHING, (maybe price, for £39.50 each, too cheap, I defy anyone to find better). Well done Crown.

EVERYTHING FROM START TO FINISH. It was nothing like the previous reviews. Packed out, due to St Patricks day, did not have to wait, given room 34. Perfect, best to date. Breakfast, lovely. Would recommend and return.

Room was freezing since i was put in the attic. the heater was barely on. it needed an electrical one since its possibly the coldest room in the building especially since it was snowing outside.

The breakfast, the staff were nice,

• Standard Double or Twin Room (1 Adult)

Bed was on the firm side. Better like this than too soft. Room small. But expected given the price.

Room was newer than expected. Nice and clean. I guess in the coach house outside the rooms have been recently refurbished. Great location, especially when you are stranded in Brackley and don't want to move much the car. Breakfast was ok. Great value for for money

• Standard Double or Twin Room (1 Adult)

Bacon & Sausages badly under cooked, no one was eating them, the fried eggs were not hot or cooked yolk part. Disappointing as before breakfast was fine.

Toast and hash browns were fine.

• Standard Double or Twin Room (1 Adult)

Probably, cleanliness could be improved. The carpet floor in my room looked like it hadn't been vacuumed properly, although the bathroom looked alright.

The single room was very comfortable and the breakfast was good. The quality/price ratio is great.

• Standard Double or Twin Room (1 Adult)

I arrived and was ignored at the reception desk, whilst staff played in the office with children. I was then met by a stone faced woman, who gave the impression that I was an inconvenience wanting to check in. I went to the room which STANK of stale alcohol. The bed sheets were dirty, the lamps were broken and hanging off. The only clean part was the bathroom.

The restaurant staff were really lovely and welcoming. The breakfast was delicious- I chose the fry up.

Superior room might have been superior in 1935, but not now. Seats with broken legs and completely threadbare upholstery. Brown furniture of similar era, with similar signs and stains of wear. Incorrect size of bath plug that meant you couldn't keep the bath full. TV not watchable as a big dark square covered the centre 50% of screen. So, the furniture needs throwing away, and there needs to be attention to detail. Clearly this place is on its last legs.

the burger meal in the evening was fine, and they had an open fire. Bed was comfortable.

There was too much furniture in the small room. The tv did not work. The whole duration of our stay even after reporting it. No safety paperwork in the room. Ie no meeting place for fire, no breakfast times.

We were pleased with the overall cleanliness. And comfort. There

• Standard Double or Twin Room (1 Adult)

This is potentially a very good property/location but badly in need of a thorough overhaul. Stagnant from the 70s is the first impression with very average food to match. The bedroom was freezing on arrival and I had to request the heating be turned on as I could not even sit in it for long. A very cheapskate approach by the management. The foreign staff were super though but, I felt embarrassed that they were working in a UK establishment that did not reflect the current high/21stC standards that I see everywhere across Europe. Cost wise it was fair for what was offered but, the management must do better at this place as I was glad not have my wife with me.

Location. Staff

• Standard Double or Twin Room (1 Adult)

Room was very tired and cold. TV only worked occasionally. Room was left unlocked and on the latch after being cleaned. Bed was very lumpy and uncomfortable.

Location was great and the burger I ordered was good.

• Standard Double or Twin Room (1 Adult)

The TV in the room didn't work, The Radiator in the room didn't work (there was a wheeled electric radiator in the room), the bathroom light was faulty. The decoration was tired.

The staff we're very good, polite, helpful and keen to please.

• Standard Double or Twin Room (1 Adult)

I had to wait 15-20 minutes for the bar staff to get the receptionist. The layout of the rooms was quite confusing.

The room was spacious and had a portable heater. The bed was incredibly comfortable. I needed to stay in Brackley overnight and this was the cheapest option. It may not be modern but it is definitely good value for money. I cannot fault the facilities.

Overall a lust of items that I sent off to the management of this hotel group. The rooms were a disgrace,

Service was dreadful, waited 30 mins for hot food to be placed in the buffet. Bedroom was dirty

The room was very cold, we had to ask for the heating to to put on at 19.15hrs. The heating not normally put on until 19.30 irrelevant of outside weather conditions (on a positive, they did switch it on for us). I know this is picky but an English bar in an English village service serving traditional Roast Lamb dinner but the waiter had no idea what mint sauce was nor did they have any in the restaurant!

The quaintness and character of the building. The lovely warm fire in the bar area.

The room standards were low. I had 3 power-cuts within 3 hours of checking in. I met another resident in the hallway, who had come out of his room to switch the fuse box back on. I asked him if he'd been affected much this evening. He laughed and told me it had been going on all week and that it was like Faulty Towers, staying here. The room was also cold, along with breakfast, which had been put out earlier in a heated unit. A member of kitchen staff came out to put out more place settings while I was attempting breakfast; he sneezed into his hands and carried on putting out cutlery and plates etc. Clearly he'd not received any hygiene training. My advice to anyone thinking of staying here is, don't bother!

Nothing springs to mind.

Bedside light not working. Shaving mirror light not working. Had to repair the curtain myself. This should have all been spotted by the “cleaner”. Room felt dirty. Won’t be back anytime soon. Also if breakfast is at 08.09 then the breakfast staff should be on site at least 30 mins before not trying to get things working at 08.00

Very little

I was completely happy. My daughter said her bed wasn't very comfy, but mine was fine.

Oldy worldy , with character. No complaints except you have to move your car.

Hot chocolate and coffees ordered at the bar were tepid, room wasn't done after the first night so no fresh crockery, toiletries. Bed not made. No useful info in the room regarding breakfast times, wifi login, no phone, hot food at breakfast was left under hot lamps and dried out and made bacon tough and eggs rubbery.

The disabled room 26 needs to be condemned. It was freezing cold and smelt damp and mouldy, we had to ask for them to heat the room as the radiator was not working. The bathroom was not safe for my disabled partner, rusty bars and black mouldy ceiling. We went to breakfast at 8.45am and by then a few of the items were run out. We were given a discount as this was not the room we were originally meant to have. We are an elderly couple and it was not an enjoyable stay.

The only thing I did not like was the swinging CROWN HOTEL sign outside my window, it would be fine if it was not windy.

The bed was very comfy, there was an amount of noise before I fell asleep, but it did not bother me. The breakfast was enjoyable.

Non enthusiastic staff, they all seemed despirited. Place felt sad, lacking a warm welcoming atmosphere. Much potential but not reached at our visit sadly.

Liked central location. Lack of Eve I got food a disappointment. Breakfast poor, unskilled cooking! Premises tired and lacking in staff. A

This is the poorest hotel I have stayed in in 35 years of business travel. The bedroom we had (17) was freezing cold, huge amounts of condensation on the windows, dirty, very poorly decorated and poorly lit. The public rooms were ‘threadbare’ and seedy. The check in was over a dingy desk, where immediate payment was required following which both the access keys and the TV remote control were handed over. The passage ways were very poorly lit with lots of stained carpet, missing plaster and flaking paint. The bed was incredibly uncomfortable with no real springing or support. It was all but collapsed. In the morning the heating was not on and we went to hand the keys and TV remote to the reception desk, stepping over the food and plastic cutlery on the main stairway. We decided that the dining room was dirty and could only imaging the hygiene standards in the kitchen, bearing in mind overall condition of the hotel. We decided to pass on the breakfast we had paid for and ate elsewhere. We have tried to speak to the owner and were advised by Linda that he is too busy as he is a businessman and suggested we send an email, which he may respond to!

Other than the town of Brackley itself, there is nothing to like about this hotel.

• Reviewed: 12 December 2017

A few of the staff members as they were ignorant and rude also we had no dinner one night and no breakfast the next morning due to the kitchen being closed although we paid for it. My first impression wasn't so good whilst collecting our keys; everytime I asked a question or just confirmation I was shut down abruptly by the woman with a very abrupt what! And was looked at like I was an idiot when filling my form I put no to a couple extra facilities and the woman slammed her hand down and pointed at me and said "no do not write that I just want a signature" this woman has no people skills let alone any kind of decent customer service...A long day of driving to be greeted by a moron.

The room was very cosy and comfortable definitely enjoyed our stay but only when we were in the room.

• Superior Double Room (1 Adult)

Breakfast was a buffet but all completely cold every day, think they just have normal light bulbs in the heat lamps. Room I was in had the hanging sign for the hotel/pub outside and on the last night it was windy so got the added bonus of squeaks and banging all night as the sign swung about in the wind. Wifi is a bit on the slow side, other than that it was banging.

Bedroom cold, bathroom radiator not working, sink plughole blocked, waited 45 minutes for starter then it was served with my wife's main course. Needs a serious makeover if it is to survive.

Had to change rooms because of no heating. Room in main building was poor. Shower was cold and water in basin was barely warm. Bar area was very pleasant and bar food good.

Room was very old, building old and seemed unstable. There would be a small creaking noise at times in night and whenever the door was closed downstairs it would shake the room. The room floor was also on a slope.

Nice bed

the walls are paper thin, you literally thought that the people next door were sharing your room. we got there on the Friday and the heating and TV aerial did not work, so Friday we were freezing and without a TV. Saturday the TV did work and the radiators seem to come on but then switched off again. there was a party Saturday night and the noise of the people and music was ridiculous. The breakfast was a lot to be desired

bed was comfortable

No one around when we checked in. Room very dated stuck in the 80s!! I can honestly say it was the most uncomfortable bed I've ever slept in, The mattress actually had Dents in it. There was no noise draft it actually felt like we were sleeping on the street outside as we could hear every car and every voice. The fire alarm went off waking us up when we eventually did fall asleep. The breakfast was okay. Apparently they are revamping some of the rooms we did not get one of them, really disappointing stay!!

Nothing very disappointed thought going through booking .com it would be to a high standard didn't even stay the second night extremely disappointed would not use booking. Com again

• Standard Double or Twin Room (1 Adult)

The room was nothing like advertised on booking.com. It was very basic with no bath, telephone, hairdryer, trouser press, radio, desk seating area. There was paint peeling off the walls and ceiling. The heating did not work and after complaining, it was turned on. (It was three degrees outside!) When I got in bed I found that the bedding was wet. I was given another room with the same 'features'. The excuse for wet bedding was that it was raining when the linen was delivered from the cleaners. However, when I woke up and looked out the window I saw that all the linen was left out in the courtyard all night without being covered (see photo). I know it had not been delivered that morning because I had been awake most of the night due to the all-night party in the next room until 6am. Ironically I had got up just before it stopped.

The real fire. The staff were very friendly and helpful, although it appeared they needed a lot more training and management.

No heating on in room on arrival. Plugged in a portable storage heater that was in the room and then complained to reception. Promptly dealt with it and was assured that he had now put the boiler on! Went out and when returned radiator in room still hadn't come on although rad in bathroom piping hot. Was in a hurry to get ready so didn't bother complaining again. Not good enough for November and the fact that this has been complained about before by other guests and still not sorted is a disgrace ☹️

There were a couple of niggles about the room, a bed side light didn't work neither did the vanity mirror light. The TV Arial cable was broke so no news or weather for the day ahead. The sausages were not to my taste and the baked beans were a little on the cool side.

Nice big towel, clean bathroom and a nice size of room. Great bacon and very good coffee at breakfast. We also got a room upgrade on arrival, a nice, quite one at the back of the main building.

Car parking is a disaster and staff seem a little clueless as to what the solution is.

I like it here although it can get a bit noisy at the weekends in the market square late at night. very good value for an Oxfordshire hotel and close to the M40 and Bicester. Building is very old and has charm and is comfortable.

Only Hotel here attitude! Don’t stay here unless you are really desperate! You can tell it’s the only Hotel in the area as the standard is very poor but they still charge a high price. The room was so small it was like something out of Alice in Wonderland. You had to duck under beams and walk sideways to get past the bed. The bed itself was very uncomfortable and had a wood frame which made it awkward to sit on the edge. The pillows were also uncomfortable. There was only 1 layer of covers on both the mattress and the pillows which I don’t think is very hygienic. Our room never had a shower, just a bath with a showerhead attached to the taps which would mean kneeling in the bath to shower. There was nowhere to hang your clothes apart from hooks on the door. The walls were paper thin and you could hear everything from the room behind our headboard including bathroom activity. Breakfast was terrible, not replenished enough and looked awful and was cold. I like a fry up but I just settled for toast as it was so uninviting, everyone was complaining but they were understaffed. The attitude of the management was appalling. When we complained he acted as if there were no issues and couldn’t understand why we were so upset.

The carpets in our room looked fairly new and the Hotel looks quaint from the outside.

Room new but small. Bathroom VERY small (and we're small people). Had to ask twice for more towels.

Staff helpful. Dinner good, breakfast very good. Central position and a suitable overnight stop on the way South.

The room number was not in sequence so we had difficulty locating it.

We enjoyed having a large room with a bathtub. Breakfast was delicious and well-balanced.

Breakfast was like Fawlty Towers. Came down at 8.15am to find no food in the hot plates. There were no covers on the hot plates. Fried eggs were left on a plate and looked like they had been there since 7.00am. Asked for fresh food which we had to wait 15 mins for. New eggs were brought in and the chef put the two old eggs on top of the fresh ones. Toaster only browned one side. No glasses for orange juice. Only one yogurt pot which had a crust round the edges. No staff available to ask for things or clear tables. Not impressed.

Room was excellent after asking to be moved from original one which was not good.

The room was small and would be very warm in hot weather,the bathroom was tiny with nowhere to put any toiletries.We were told breakfast was served until 10am but when we arrived down at 9am were abruptley told that breakfast was finished even though the cooked food was still sitting there. We complained to the manager who set up a table in the bar,for a very substandard breakfast.

Not a lot

Although you could check out from 7.30am breakfast wasn't served until 8am. We asked if there was anything we could have food wise as we had to leave early. They advised we could have a continental breakfast (croissant, yoghurt, apple and biscuits) in our room but brought it up at just gone 11pm which woke us up as we had gone to bed early..not ideal! It was noisy in the hotel too; walls were thin so heard nextdoor's television, the bar downstairs and the road traffic.

It was close to where we needed it to be. The restaurant food was lovely.

The room ....shower dribled ...no remote for the t.v so only 1 Chanel .. but the bed was the worst we have ever laid in think the mattress was brought back in the 1970 s very uncomftable

Friendly staff great location