Reviews of Crowne Plaza Birmingham NEC 4 stars

Pendigo Way, nr Birmingham Airport, Bickenhill, B40 1PS, United Kingdom

#9 of 19 hotels in Bickenhill

Close to airport and Genting Arena.
    • Queen Room with Sofa Bed

Poor quality of food. Club sandwich on over toasted bread, Beef wellington was microwaved with the texture of a soggy pastie. No bottle openers in room bar .. I had to ring in room service whenever I wanted a bottle opened. Bathroom door locked itself and I had to ring housekeeping at 5 am to open it.. they just used their key card to turn the lock with leaving instruction to “try that if it happens again”. This hotel isn’t elegant or 4 star by any stretch. Loose hanging air conditioning switch. I’ll stop now

Close to airport and Genting Arena. I stayed overnight pre flight

Good fatcilies pity we could not stay for our second night in because I was ill
    • Queen Room with Lake View

Just the bat food , fish and chips where more like from ice land

Good clean hotel but bar food was not good breakfast my wife said was good i was not well so I missed out on a thatj

Very good breakfast with excellent staff serving, big car...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

I used the ironing facilities in the room. They had the cheapest iron you could ever find, which doesn’t work that good.

Very good breakfast with excellent staff serving, big car park, 10-minutes walk to NEC, few restaurants close by.

No air conditioning in the room, given a fan, had 28 degrees...
    • Queen Room with Sofa Bed

No air conditioning in the room, given a fan, had 28 degrees all night in the room - I complained and they said they can’t do anything - we left one night into a two night stay. Our young son had a terrible time and we could not enjoy the wedding the next day

The room was nice enough
    • Queen Room with Sofa Bed

The air conditioning didn't work the temp stated that it was 17 degrees it was more like 26 degrees couldn't sleep all night

The room was nice enough

A fab hotel.Very clean and pleasant reception staffs.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The reception girls were fantastic.always smiling and very helpful.i fancied chinese for dinner.i googled restaurant but no luck.the girls helped me find a retaurant willing to deliver to the hotel.

NIce hotel - perfectly located for NEC
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

No room service although it was advertised - had to go to reception along with everyone else so there was a long queue of irate people. We were then told things weren't available. Eventually ordered lasagne which came without garlic bread as advertised. There were some nachos on the side but this wasn't mentioned when ordering.

NIce hotel - perfectly located for NEC

Staff good, upgraded room as the hotel had reserved a double...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Wasn't made clear on booking that a £10 per day parking charge would be made, also coffee machine broken and then filter coffee cold - £11 for a glass of wine "ridiculous"

Staff good, upgraded room as the hotel had reserved a double and requested a twin when booking so good and bad Location good for NEC

Superb

Can’t think of anything

The fact they have vibrating alarm for us - I was impressed with that! The breakfast were gorgeous Definitely come back again for next event

There's a super smiley lady at the front desk named...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

There's a super smiley lady at the front desk named Maria who is very helpful and cheerful despite the huge number of clients she has to deal with.

• Queen Room

I booked and paid for two nights and when we got to reception to check in they said we only had booked one room. He was very rude and I will never come here again. I was definitely booked for two nights as when I called they said I am booked for two nights. Also I paid for breakfast and I had to pay for that again. Awful service you better off going to the genting hotel. Really wished I booked with them

Perfect hotel for the NEC
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

No complaints at all - but a shuttle bus to from the station would make it perfect!!

Excellent hotel with very helpful and friendly staff. The room was great, plenty of space and views over the lake. The location is brilliant right next to Resorts World. Will definitely stay here again.

Good location, but room service wasn't up to scratch.
    • Queen Room with Sofa Bed

24hr Room service wasn't great. The food wasn't great, and the telephone manner of the guy on the room service number wasn't helpful. Also the food didn't turn up on time, and when it did, it was missing cutlery and napkins. Also we'd been charged for chips when we didn't have any. It was removed from the bill.

A friendly and helpful service on check-in.

Good location let down by a lack of investment in maintenance
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Was here on a hot day and air conditioning was non-existant ... had the room settings as low as possible and all I was getting was a slight puff of tepid air. Staff had obviously been over run with complaints about it and were a bit nonplused about adding mine to the list. The TV in the room didn't work either. I didn't realise this until the morning when I was getting ready so didn't raise it until I checked out. As far as I could see, the receptionist did nothing with this information other than smile awkwardly.

Location is great and the vast majority of staff are very friendly and helpful.

Beautiful
    • Queen Room with Sofa Bed

The coffee, it didn’t taste nice at all

everything, the staff were so friendly and helpful, the hotel itself was beautiful and it was so close to the NEC as well which was great for us

Porridge was lovely for me
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

No gluten free porridge for hubby. Pillows were hard ! No walk in showers, Just had hip replacement, not advised to lift leg bath level. Two hot days no shower !

Porridge was lovely for me

very good apart from the parking charge
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

the car parking charges which i think should be free to guests

the staff where ultra efficient particulaly the bar and restaurant staff . the tunisian bar man was realy friendly and very good at his job as was all his other staff well done

If you're visiting the NEC this is the place to stay
    • Queen Room

Very close to the NEC but managed to make the location feel more rural. Lots of parking, dinner, breakfast and reception all excellent, staff very helpful, bedroom & bathroom very good.

Overpriced accommodation, average restaurant and whilst good location we won’t be staying again
    • Double Room - Disability Access

Restaurant service was poor and food was only average and overpriced. At £109 for room only on a Thursday the price to stay was too expensive for what you got.

Location idea for NEC. Quiet. Comfortable bed.

If you be food intolerances this is the hotel.
    • Queen Room

There was only 1 toilet in the gym changing room and had no seat.

If you be food intolerances this is the hotel. I didn’t eat in the restaurant but the breakfast was brilliant, everything I needed was no trouble. Was able to get soya milk for the tea in the room also with ease. Makes a big difference.

Excellently situated for NEC /restaurants and bars. clean and comfy room just what we wanted
    • Queen Room

View from room over rear but did not matter as not there to look out of room.

Lovely spacious clean room /beautiful bathroom / staff very courteous and helpful. Excellently situated foe NEC

Brilliant stay. Great hotel, great location. Would recommend.
    • Queen Room with Sofa Bed

The service was fantastic throughout the stay. The room clean, bed comfortable. Michelle on reception was so nice. It was our 25th wedding anniversary and she upgraded us to a suite. Just a lovely gesture.

All in all the short stay was relaxing and comfortable though the drinks prices were rather high.
    • Double Room - Disability Access

The room was meant to be for disabled but there was insufficient space to move a wheelchair and the lavatory was too low, it was even too low for a tall able bodied person. There were no grab rails in the room situated at strategic points only a drop down bar alongside the toilet. The comfy chairs in the room were rather worn and a light stand fitting was broken. Maintenance was called and they came immediately to fix it. The bed was wide enough but a bit short for a tallish person (193cm).

The breakfast was in my opinion outstanding though the smoked salmon could have been served with lemon wedges to squeeze juice from not lemon slices.

Great hotel
    • Queen Room

Modern and spacious rooms. Restaurant and lounge bar are very spacious and there is plenty of room between the tables. Lots of staff available and happy to help.

Worst stay we ever had ! Never going back.

Very un organised , overbooked on the night ! We booked 4 rooms on arrival we were told they only have 2 rooms . We had 11 months and elderly with us . Staff was defensive and blaming systems showed no willingness to help. communication between staff was really poor, one staff says one thing and another one says different !

Location - close to NEC and Shopping centre

Hotel and staff great resturant rquires a decent chef or sourcing of better quality food
    • Queen Room with Sofa Bed

The food for evening meals see above

3rd visit we should have learnt from previous experience not to eat our evening meal in your restaurant, by far the worst meal we have experienced anywhere. Battered cod thin piece of overcooked fish with more of a cross between crumb and poor batter, salt & pepper squid overcooked and cold, regret ever paying for the meal .

Staff were very friendly and helpful nothing was too much...
    • Queen Room with Lake View

I don’t like it when you have to pay to park.

Staff were very friendly and helpful nothing was too much trouble. Room was clean and comfy. Walking distance to Nec which was great for us.

Excellent hotel, clean rooms and customer service very helpful and efficient.
    • Queen Room

We ate in the bar in the evening which was fine, nice views and exceptional service. My meal was slightly let down with my risotto being over cooked but I still ate it, not quite what I was used to. Other than that I was very happy staying at the hotel.

Room was excellent, beautiful and clean and most importantly we heard no noise from either outside or adjacent rooms. Breakfast were buffet style or you could have it freshly made, nothing was too much trouble. You helped yourself to hot drinks too but the machine dispensed drinks to a very high quality.

Ok customer stay could be better
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Having to pay for parking a bit of a liberty. When I got there I was in a large car park next to hotel. As a pensioner carrying my bag up to the hotel was difficult.

Staff efficient and helpful room clean and welllocated for NEC

Staff were lovely, very informative and welcoming
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

I didn't like the Ten pound charge every 24 hrs for parking to stay at hotel , It should be free for hotel guests.

Staff were lovely, very informative and welcoming

disappointing for the cost
    • Queen Room with Sofa Bed

Poor food quality for the price and over priced drinks especially as next to a number of restaurants. No hot water so had no shower or washing facilities for the morning, no option for refund so very disappointed. poor gym also.

room was good and

Excellent location , overall nice hotel .
    • Queen Room with Sofa Bed

The bed in room 136 was appalling. Definitely had its day a long time ago. The base was wobbly with movement all the time. Wants immediate replacement!

Excellent location , overall nice hotel . Have stayed here many times . Always a good selection at breakfast. Staff always helpful-

Did the Job
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Smell in reception possibly from toilets. Paying for parking £10 and no breakfast after spending £210 for one night,

Location good. staff nice. room clean.

Nice hotel, but a double bed with sofa bed is not a twin!!!!!
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

When booking the room I was not informed on the fact that my request was only on availability. I wanted a twin, and was offered a double with sofa bed. This was also not explained on booking.com website. 1 of the reception staff blamed it on myself booking via your site! And was not willing to help. After being cut off from yourselves after waiting on hold for 15min, another very nice receptionist at the hotel managed to find a double twin. So it was resolved, but I should not of had to have this situation in the first place. I'm not happy with booking.com and I will be questioning ever booking with you again, having not been given all the facts.

The receptionist that tried hard to accommodate me.

A good choice if the locality is NECessary
    • Queen Room with Sofa Bed

Running a gauntlet of geese to get along the lakeside path to the hotel! The NEC is a sterile, soulless place to stay outside business hours, lacking the liveliness and variety of the city centre.

While the NEC isn't the most thrilling of places, if you do need to be there, the location could hardly be better. The arena and exhibition halls are accessible within 1-5 minutes by foot, and the hotel adjoins the entertainment/shopping complex and lake. Room was spacious and well appointed.

Good location as I went to an event at the Genting Arena.
    • Queen Room with Sofa Bed

The room was dated and over priced. Next time I go to a gig I’ll be staying somewhere else.

Good location as I went to an event at the Genting Arena. The guy on reception was friendly.

Big fan of Crowne Plaza group. Stay in London Westminster often - but never again at NEC!
    • Queen Room with Lake View

Poor, slow check in service. Regular issues with key fobs not working with door, so up and down every day to get access to room. Rooms worn out and need a make over and clean up, curtain hanging of window. Very cramped room & worse of all, the food served to our table was clearly OFF, but shockingly, the response was as if it was a regular occurrance!

Position close to NEC. Bar staff were excellent.

Looks can be deceptive
    • Double Room - Disability Access

Accessible room only just wide enough for wheelchair (if you moved desk chair!). Accessible bathroom has grab rails but bath and no accessible shower. No wheelchair accessible path to NEC or Genting arena, has to walk across car park and duck around barrier Parking was expensive Air conditioning didn't work properly despite speaking to reception several times. Saturday night main restaurant was closed which wasn't sign posted

Well decorated On site parking

No breakfast option before 7 which is poor for an airport hotel.
    • Queen Room with Sofa Bed

No breakfast. Breakfast isn't served until 0700. For an airport hotel, you would expect at least a bowl of cereal or a continental option at an earlier time to accommodate those flying in the morning. Disappointing.

Handy location for Birmingham Airport.

staff were so friendly and accomodating, perfect location...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

staff were so friendly and accomodating, perfect location for my NEC visit, plenty of restuarants and bars to choose from in close proximity. Rooms were perfect size bed was extremely comfortable and cleaniness was second to none. would definitely go there again.

Great place to stay for NEC.
    • Queen Room

There was nothing to dislike though the breakfast seemed a little expensive until you saw the quality and choice. A lovely hotel with fabulous staff.

Loved the hotel and it was a great location for the gig at the NEC. Pleasant, helpful staff and a great breakfast. What more could you ask for.

Pleasurable.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

I would really have liked a firmer bed.

Hotel is in an excellent location for access to both the NEC and The Genting Arena. It's really easy to get to too - we travelled up from South Wales in a little over 2 hours and found it without any problems . Staff were extremely polite, hotel was clean and the facilities were good - the air conditioning was brilliant! We left clothes in the wardrobe - but Mandy from housekeeping could not have been more helpful. Bit miffed at having to pay £10 to park. My only quibble would be - and it's a small quibble - that the bed was soooo soft that we spent the entire night stuck in a ravine in the middle of the bed!!

Good location.
    • Queen Room with Sofa Bed

The room was a bit too warm and we couldn't turn the air conditioning down any more. The ice machines were not working so we weren't able to get ice for our room.

Good location. Lovely comfortable and clean room, had a great nights sleep and loved being so close to the NEC. Also loved the pillow spray. Friendly staff.

Very good other than..
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Awful check in experience - waited 20 mins to be seen. Delayed as payment card expired even though fully prepaid. When finally given key card, it did not work in the door and had to queue again to get it sorted. No apology offered.

Large selection at breakfast buffet - something for everyone. Friendly welcome. Parking onsite (£10 a day though). Good location for NEC - 5 min walk.

Good location, comfortable, but disappointing
    • Queen Room with Sofa Bed

Check in took an exceptionally long time. Person at desk was clearly focused on something else on his screen. He also took our parking information wrong, risking us a fine. Television in room did not work. Kettle in room was dangerous - it failed to switch off when boiling point was reached and continued boiling more and more aggressively.

Bed was very comfortable.

Everything was fantastic, for a four star hotel it somehow...
    • Queen Room with Lake View

The only slight downside for me was having to pay £10 a day to park, as a paying guest maybe the charge shouldn't apply.

Everything was fantastic, for a four star hotel it somehow has a small friendly feel , also location is first class for NEC.

Good location, friendly staff and the best breakfast I’ve...
    • Queen Room

Was disappointed with the meal in the restaurant. Food wasn’t great, chicken burger was dry and not much on plate for price paid

Good location, friendly staff and the best breakfast I’ve had in a long time

average
    • Double Room - Disability Access

shower in the room was not hot enough,also you get charged for parking over night,this was not mentioned when booking made!! surely when you book a room you shouldn't be charged parking(you check in at 10pm & depart at 9.00 am next day).Bar prices seem rather high as well..one small peroni & double brandy £18!! very expensive!!

staff always helpful

Would definitely stay here again perfect for live music at the n.e.c..
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

We stayed for one night and the hotel was excellent, staff very nice and nothing too much trouble. The room was spacious, clean and nice and quiet, bed very comfy and breakfast in the morning was very good.

high standards great staff rare in a very busy hotel nowadays

all good

Location perfect for Genting Arena. Checked in by Hassan who was very welcoming. Pleasant spacious room with plenty coffee/toiletries etc.The whole hotel spotlessly clean. Breakfast at last a hotel that gives a good solid breakfast and is well run .The lady managing breakfast was on point directing staff whilst being appreciative of customers needs at a busy time. Hilton etc please take notice!! Not often I gave a 10 but faultless for me

Well placed for NEC.
    • Queen Room with Sofa Bed

Air con in the room was noisy but other than that, all was good.

Well placed for NEC. Staff were excellent. Very good room service. Extremely comfy bed!

Hotel of choice when going to a concert at the Genting Arena even if it is pricey!
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Expensive, furnishings in room dated and booked a twin room but allocated a double which wasn’t really a problem but considering the price I expect what I book! The breakfast was superb with the variety but as a vegetarian I would like vegetarian sausages available.

Great location, clean, fab staff and yummy breakfast

Typical Crown Plaza with a good location for business meetings. Parking extortionate though.
    • Double Room - Disability Access

Overpriced for the services offered and the bath still had hair in that wasn't mine when I arrived.

Friendly helpful staff and nice location, iron in the room meant it was a good business hotel

In one word excellent
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

It would be easier to say what I didn't like & that was the weather, the hotel was good but not that good that they could control the weather,

The staff treat you as important customers, the hotel was clean tidy and extra comfortable we had a great view from our room can't wait to book again

Fantastic location and lovely staff

The location. What made it for us also were the staff. I have a disabled son and they couldn't do enough for us. The restaurant staff in particular were so considerate.

Bed comfy, size of room great, location brilliant (was there...
    • Queen Room with Sofa Bed

Aircon fan in room was very noisy and at times woke me and my partner up in the night.

Bed comfy, size of room great, location brilliant (was there for a show at the Genting arena).

• Queen Room

Shower head had a split in it meaning I got water cannoned in the morning, I did advise the staff, but nothing was done to rectify it. (Powerful jet of water in the face is actually an effective way to wake up but may not be to everyone's taste!)

Great location for NEC, the arena is only a short walk from the hotel. Good facilities and a decent breakfast which was not as overpriced as some hotels. Will stay again.

My stay was pleasent and quiet. I would absolutely stay again.
    • Queen Room

Not much. I can not comment on the resteraunt as i did not eat there. It is a shame there was no pool.

Staff were friendly, room was lovely. Nice touches

The room was very musty smelling and the air conditioning...
    • Queen Room with Sofa Bed

The room was very musty smelling and the air conditioning didn’t work so the room very very hot and uncomfortable. We did report this to reception on leaving.

Great mini holiday with ups and not so ups

We had problems with our room key, every day we had to check if it would work and it did not. So, we had to go to the reception desk daily to make sure that our key card would work. Very annoying! The explanations that was given, made no sense and it made us feel as if we were doing something wrong because the other room did not have these problems. We've noticed that the kitchen is not always as great as we had dinner the first night (Wednesday) and that was amazing but the third night (Friday) it was really mediocre and it was in the bar area because the restaurant was moved upstairs. That was a bit of a disappointment.

We enjoyed and loved our breakfast! Not only because of the great selection with full English, egg white scrambled eggs, continental or the healthy choices they had, but also the staff were welcoming and enthusiastic. And because we stayed for 5 nights, it was a great to have a chat and feel welcome every time again. The rooms were great. They were cosy and roomy at the same time. It had airco and the beds were okay. Enough pillows and not those fluffy/soft ones, where you drown in if you are not careful. Everything you need, you can find in the room or you can call the reception desk if you need anything.

Good stay overall and nice and handy for the nec
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Air conditioning in the room did not work States has a gym on website. A room with 3 pieces of cardio equipment and light dumbbells is not a gym

Staff excellent and really helpful. Good full English biggest style breakfast.

We really enjoyed our stay. The upgrade was unexpected but very welcome
    • Double Room - Disability Access

There was nothing I didn’t like.

We were kindly upgraded to a suite by Rebecca to make our stay more enjoyable. She went the extra mile to call at our room to give my little one some colouring things and some sweets. He felt like a super star.

Easy to find from the motorway, staff were lovely, bed...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Easy to find from the motorway, staff were lovely, bed really comfortable and the breakfast was tops! Was staying for an event that was on at Genting Arena and the location was superb for it. Fab all round!

Would come back IF the prices were lowered a lot
    • Queen Room with Lake View

Room was great although definitely not worth what we paid Very disappointed with the hotel “fitness centre” Requested early check in before arrival and was told it wasn’t possible so our bags were kept in holding for hours

Staff were lovely, room was beautiful

Pleasant overnight stay
    • Queen Room with Sofa Bed

Room overlooked bins / delivery area so I was woken up very early 5.45 am and I did not need to check out until 11 am. I couldn't get back to sleep because of the noise. Breakfast was expensive so I did not take it. The carpet could have been vacuumed better and a mug was a bit grubby but I rewashed it.

Room was spacious. Well equipped room with trouser press, hairdryer and fan. Reception staff were helpful and pleasant.

Great Hotel and Staff.

Nothing it was perfect.

The hotel is fab, clean rooms a nive size beds comfy just an all round great hotel. Breakfast nice. People on reception great so helpful. Also close to the genting Arena. If you are useing it for the genting go out the door of the bar it is far quicker the going all the way round. Food in the bar was nice aswell.

Really comfortable bed, all facilities you'd like, nice...

Going home!

Really comfortable bed, all facilities you'd like, nice sized bathroom. All very clean and fresh feeling. The temperature of the room was perfect too not too hot/stuffy but not cold either! We stayed before and would definitely stay again. It couldn't be more ideal if you're going to the NEC arena.

It was a nice stay but I feel a little over priced for what I received.
    • Queen Room

The pillows were very hard and not comfortable at all. There wasn’t any dairy free alternatives offered at breakfast. Everything had cows milk in. I amended my booking online to add breakfast to it. When I checked in at the hotel this didn’t show up on the booking.

I liked the cleanliness of the room and the staff were very pleasant.

Crowne plaza NEC
    • Queen Room

Didn't have a hairdryer in the room and only one complimentary SMALL bottle of water for two of us. We have stayed in a less expensive hotel with more facilities.

Very close to NEC .

Enjoyed stay and would definitely come back and recommend to family and friends
    • Queen Room

Service charge just for bringing a drink to yr table in the bar !!

Rooms were comfortable, breakfast had plenty of choice. Great location if visiting Genting Arena or NEC.

I’m still waiting for an invoice by email that’s 2 phone...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

I’m still waiting for an invoice by email that’s 2 phone calls & a request via here - how hard can it be??? Over priced would be my general summary

Wonderful stay at the Crowne Plaza! Would definitely recommend.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Room was a little hot, couldn't seem to get it cooler.

Location perfect if seeing a show at the NEC etc. Room was fab and all staff were friendly and helpful.

Comfortable bed.
    • Queen Room

Not so much a dislike. But on booking I stated it was a surprise booking for myself and partners engagement and asked if possible for anything extra available to make our stay special, unfortunately it was just a normal welcome and nothing extra. But still enjoyed my stay.

Comfortable bed. Amazing breakfast. Would definitely stay there again.

Will never come back
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Very disappointing to know that hotel does not reply to e-mails. I have left something in a room, e-mailed the next day when I unpacked my luggage and find out that one item is missing so I knew I have left it in the room. Didn't get answers by today - 7 days after my initial e-mail. I know I should not leave my stuff behind but you will expect it will not get missing in 4* hotel, or at least I can get answers from them. Simple I'm sorry we didn't find it will be better that being ignored.

Hardly any noise from other customers.
    • Double Room - Disability Access

The air conditioning unit in the bedroom didn't work at all. And the chair under the desk, never actually went under the desk therefore leaving hardly any room between the chair and bed.

Hardly any noise from other customers. Room sizes we're great.