Reviews of Crowne Plaza Reading 4 stars

Caversham Bridge, Richfield Avenue, Reading, RG1 8BD, United Kingdom

#7 of 38 hotels in Reading

Fabulous time , we will be back.

We got charged for room service which we never had!! Staff were very good when I complained about this. Charge was immediately removed.

Very friendly staff and lovely hotel.

A relaxing and comfortable stay in what must be one of the best hotels in Reading.

We could hear noise from a function in the hotel when we returned to our room at 9.30pm. My husband asked if we could change rooms. We did and it was no longer a problem - we slept really well.

Excellent breakfast, watching the swans and boats, after a good nights sleep and early morning swim! The staff were friendly and very helpful. The rooms were clean and well equipped. Walking distance from the railway station.

Perfect for business travel

Dinner service can be slow

Rooms are comfortable and clean. Staff are great. Gym is very good. Breakfast and food in general is very good. Location is excellent

Great location for a short break or business stop-over
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The patio area seems sparse and could do with more tables and seating, especially during the current fine weather. Also tables on the patio needed to be cleared more quickly after guests left them.

The location on the banks of the river Thames, the comfort of the room and the friendly staff.

good facilities nice pool and sauna breakfast was nice

the aircon wasn't working in our room and didn't like the idea of cats walking around when we were eating breakfast

good facilities nice pool and sauna breakfast was nice

Enjoyable stay - would recommend and use again.

Although buffet breakfast was really good, self-service for hot beverages would have been easier and quicker than relying on busy staff service.

Location is great - restaurant overlooks the river and food was good. Car parking is convenient and secure.

Enjoyed their location and the lounge

They seems understaffed.

The location. Nice view of the River. Excellent for walks on Thames Walk. And not too far from the Station and the city centre. Their Executive lounge is excellent too. You don't need to worry about breakfast and dinner if you have access to the lounge.

Pleasant, quite large hotel right next to river.

The hotel is probably popular for weddings and there was one the night we stayed. Our room was over one of the function rooms so we wouldn't have been able to sleep while the music was on. Having said that, it did seem to stop reasonably early, at 11.30pm. Not much else in the vicinity so limited dining options (although there was a restaurant in the hotel if you enjoy hotel ambience). However, we found an excellent very small pub five minutes away with the best food we'd eaten in a long time.

Great position if you want to be next to the river (which we did). Would have been nice to have had a view of it from the bedroom rather than of the car park but I suspect you pay extra for that. Good sized room, clean, new bathrooms, good sized bed and very comfortable mattress. Effective air conditioning. Nice buffet breakfast.

It’s a great location for a business trip.

The hotel really needs a bit of refreshing. The toilets are clean but very old.

It’s a great location for a business trip. The food was very good and I liked the staff.

As I I booked 4 double rooms 10 months in advance I was very...

As I I booked 4 double rooms 10 months in advance I was very disappointed to be told by text on the morning of my stay that all my rooms we to be single beds. Profit is obviously more important than customer satisfaction

We look forward to returning to this hotel next year when we go to Ascot.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The swimming pool was disappointing. On Saturday evening no towels left and on Sunday morning the water level reached only half full!

The hotel is in an excellent location on the Thames and half a mile from Reading Station. The staff were very helpful and welcoming. Car parking was secure and free. The room was quiet at all times. Breakfast was delicious and plentiful. We enjoyed our stay.

Comfy hotel in a great location. Plesant stay, would stay again.
    • Executive Double Room with Club Lounge Access

Executive rooms were very small and bathroom quiet basic.

Lovely staff. Hotel kept spotless. Club lounge was a good touch, breakfast very nice. Excellent location.

Facilities in the room were very good, such as the...

Facilities in the room were very good, such as the information and the provision of portable chargers/adapters which I needed! Fridge was useful especially in the warm weather. Hotel arranged for pre payment by a third party with no problem. It was lovely to be served tea personally at breakfast , restaurant staff were efficient and very nice and the restaurant opening times were excellent.

Good hotel

There was a wedding happening and for that reason we couldnt be on the river side. It was slightly noisy for the same reason.

Good breakfast. Generally very clean. Confortable bed. SPA and gym available.

Not good
    • Executive Double Room with Club Lounge Access

Got the key to the room wrong sent us to a room already had someone staying in . Come back and forth 4 times till got my room right booked balcony executive suite and got given a standard double room

Not much

Room good; other facilities not used as had evening meal and brunch with family who live locally
    • Deluxe Double Room

Did not appreciate cleaning staff knocking on the door at 9am on a Sunday to clean the room. Surely they are advised once guests have checked out and the room is then available for cleaning.

Largest double bed seen in a hotel

Average, nothing to get excited about
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

views = terrible Quality of the room = average Quality of shower – water flow & temperature = average TV quality = poor Rental or available movies = poor Quality of the bathroom = average Cleanliness of the room and bathroom = average Size of the room and bathroom = small Lighting in the room (is it bright enough) = average Mini bar and availability of products = poor internet service = terrible

It was average, The good things about this hotel was the staff attitudes. friendly, happy staff. The room however was in my opinion, average, It was a little stale in appearance and the bathroom was small and unappealing. The TV was dim. The selection of pay for view movies was very limited. The views from my room – a car park. In most “outstanding” hotels, I am offered a room with a view. this hotel was not booked to capacity and I was not offered, nor did I receive the offer of a better room with a view over the river. As a diamond member, I feel I received NO benefit whatsoever. I was offered the option of points or a drink at the bar, however, as I am travelling for work, I choose not to drink, so I selected the points. Quite frankly, I find the points system with ALL these hotels to be poor and certainly not an incentive to maintain any level of loyalty to any chain or group, hence I stay in all different hotel groups. so my estimation of the room and services was as follows • Location = good • Views = terrible • Quality of the room = average • Quality of the bed / pillows = good • Quality of shower – water flow & temperature = average • TV quality = poor • Rental or available movies = poor • USB charging without the need for adapters = ok • Quality of the bathroom = average • Cleanliness of the room and bathroom = average • Size of the room and bathroom = small • Room service (24hr) = not used • Food quality = not sampled • Speed of service and temperature of the food when delivered. = not used • Lighting in the room (is it bright enough) = average • Air-conditioning – control and can it be switched off. = ok • Is the air conditioning too loud = ok • Where the room is situated in relation to lifts and vending machines (is it too noisy). = ok • Mini bar and availability of products = poor • If and when I eat in the dining area, breakfast quality and customer service. = not used internet service = terrible

Staff very helpful

There was a problem with computers at check in as they were down but reception staff did their best to get us manually checked in and into our rooms as quickly as possible

Big disappointment

Problem with checking in (system doesn’t work) Carpet dirty,one water (instead two),no disposable bags (empty box)in toilet,they tried to charge us more for breakfast etc.

Location ,car park

Would stay again
    • Deluxe Double Room

Bar was a little pricey. Toaster at breakfast was very slow. Decaf tea available at breakfast but not provided in room with other teas and coffee.

Good location. On the Thames with a lovely courtyard overlooking it. 10 min walk to the train station and about 20 mins from the Oracle. Buffet cooked breakfast was tasty. Bar area open until midnight and then drinks still available through room service. Beds were comfortable. Good checkout time. We didnt have time to use the spa but facilities sounded good.

Will not be back at this location
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Breakfast. Room, nonchalant attitude of some reception staff

This is definate 3 star property but far from 4 star. I believe the main change that has happened here is change of name from Holiday in to Crown plaza

It made my wedding anniversary weekend an enjoyable stay.
    • Executive Double Room with Club Lounge Access

No Instructions for the Nespresso machine. Gave up on it in the end.

Upgrade to balcony room fantastic view. Great breakfast. Club lounge was excellent value for the extra money paid for the room and happy hour was a wonderful bonus.

Very enjoyable. Will stay there again.
    • Executive Double Room with Club Lounge Access

Soundproofing between rooms could be better but to be expected for this level of hotel.

Very pleasant location being on the river Thames. Walkable to the city but most times we took a taxi which was reasonable and readily available. Lounge areas spacious, bright and comfortable. Staff were very friendly and professional. Food a little inconsistent depending on who the chef was for the night but was tasty and fresh.

Lovely comfortable overnight stay.

Perfect for overnight stay. Lovely clean room, great extras like pillow spray! Tasty breakfast, restaurant overlooking river is lovely and relaxing. Very impressed, great value for money.

Comfortable and adequate for a short stay.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

We arrived at about 4.15pm and were horrified that there was no record of our booking. thank goodness I had taken a print out from my computer and the hotel was less than full, otherwise we might have been sleeping in the car. We were told that Booking .com frequently fails to connect with the hotel and that this is a regular occurance.

The room was very quiet and beds comfortable. We were upgraded to an executive room but it was no different from an ordinary hotel room, small but adequate for our one night stay. Electric points were well sited. We appreciated the facilities for making a cup of tea/coffee and the wifi access.

After housekeeping making the loudest entry they could into...
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

After housekeeping making the loudest entry they could into the room, we weren’t ready so sent them away. Went out for the day and let them do what the needed to do. Get back from a day out, immediately notice that the bed sheets haven’t been changed, just straightened out. To pull back the quilt and find things then in the bed, almost like thorns, one makes you wonder how they got there and two, surely someone who’s job it is to change sheets would see. Tried to brush past this and not let it ruin my evening, but then when I get in the shower and notice mould spores on the curtain starting to form, I’ve got to wonder to myself how well they clean. Now, after I get out the shower I went to use one of the flannels. To my surprise I find a long black hair wrapped up in it. Where has this come from? Certainly not clean. I have short hair and my girlfriends is pink. Definitely not what you would expect. As if this hadn’t made everything bad enough, while sat in the room that never seems to warm up, even if you change or turn of the air conditioner, the tv then stops working for an hour. At this point we could have just gone to sleep so we could leave sooner but the whole thing has been so uncomfortable, if I book a double room, I don’t expect two singles pushed together. I think the same could be said for many people. Then again we wake up to the lovely sound of a manager having a conversation outside our room and housekeeping having a competition between themselves seemingly on who can make the most noise. Along with all this, while out of the room, whoever came in to clear up has ripped my girlfriends jacket. In total extremely disappointing place.

It’s ok, but not sure if I come back

Bfast to take away (cos of early check-in) was very poor for 4*hotel Small TV

Friendly staff Nice quiet location close to main railway station Sleeping spray to improve sleeping experience (no matter was consumed by the first night haha)

Near to where we wanted to be.

Outside space dirty and untidy. No bathrobes. No mini bar. Bathroom tiles a little mouldy. Shower head partly blocked. Bottom of toilet bowl filthy.

Next to river

This was our 2nd stay here and definitely won't be our last, absolutely love this hotel

nothing to dislike

beautiful looking hotel that sits right on the River Thames, short 15 min walk into the town centre (we walked along the canal then cut up a side road,) staff were great and helpful, room was lovely, massive bed, secure locked private car park that you need a code from reception to access/exit so for hotel guests only, amazing help yourself buffet breakfast, choice of full english, continental or both

Very expensive for what it offered.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Very expensive for what it offered. Standard hotel - Not great value for money.

Very expensive for what it offered. Standard hotel - Not great value for money.

Have stayed before and will again - provided

To have provided what was requested prior to arrival -a twin room would have helped. A replacement balcony room and king sized double did not meet requirements. A television that pixilated at night-time which spoiled continuous viewing and hence was switched off.

Fairly good value and convenient for where we needed to be.

The cooked breakfast was quite poor, the bacon had lots of white residue on it and potato triangles were like cardboard. The receptionist was pretty but spoke far too quickly and quietly so i had to keep asking her to repeat the information. One of the keys didn’t work at all.

The room was comfortable. Evening service was good. The location suited us well.

I was staying because I was involved in a charity event and...
    • Executive Double Room with Club Lounge Access

I was staying because I was involved in a charity event and broke my wrist so ended up in hospital which meant I could not stay the second night. The hotel refused to refund my second night which I thought was extremely unfair as I was involved in a charity event and was in my mind, doing a good deed!

brilliant
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The two halves of the bed were different firmness so one person was low and the other high

The bed was a good size, we both got a good night's sleep.

Liked the location, but don't know if I would want to return?

When booking in requested to be away from the 2 persons who had booked in previously as they were heavily in drink and given more drinks vouchers, we were moved and so were they but next to us? Tried to book Spa treatments but communication between Hotel and Spa wasn't good so missed out on Birthday treat! Made complaints at receptions and with duty managers but nothing sorted at the time, but if we go back to Reading in the future after a series of emails we have ben offered various things, but we probably won't find the money to enable us to go back?

Room and location for 2 night stay.

If you're driving to stay in Reading this is the place to stay.

Breakfast black pudding.

The style of the bedroom furniture and, especially, the 'hidden' location of the hairdryer, allowing one to dry one's hair sat in front of a large mirror. Location - easy to get to, 10-15 minute walk into the centre of Reading and easy access to the Thames Path. Car park.

Good hotel with choice of facilities
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The receptionist staff aren't that polite about questioning with ID commenting that we look "16" fair enough id being asked for as that is a policy but the comment really didn't need to be put in. On giving ID the lady also questioned my partners age when she was right in front of the ID and embarrassed my partner.

The swimming and gym facilities were excellent and how attentive they are at breakfast

Great location for weekend break
    • Executive Double Room with Club Lounge Access

The weather! Don't think the hotel could do anything about that!!

Location excellent. Staff very helpful and friendly. Facilities including swimming pool excellent.

Good hotel, decent stay and quality for the price
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

The fact the Jacuzzi wasn't working when we went and that is not a more direct route to the swimming area without passing all punters in the main entrance.

Nice clean hotel, only stayed one night, me and my girlfriend just wanted to get away and relax and use the facilities. The pool is good size with sauna and steam room but the jacuzzi wasnt working, so that was a let down. But apart from that good hotel.

A relaxing and comfortable stay. We hope to return again soon.

We were totally happy with everything .

The staff were extremely efficient, friendly and helpful. The room was a good size and very comfortable. The breakfast was well cooked and there was a wide choice.

disappointing. Going to premier inn next time for a comfy bed Same price.

the single beds were not very comfortable. There was a terrible noise of traffic. There was a spider in the bathroom. The maid did not clean the glass the first day. The maintenance had to be called due to three shower faults. small size TV screen.

Mixed opinion

Gym and pool closed eatly, staff veey blunt kicking us out well before closing. Asked for soya milk at breakfast, but never received it. Had issues with internet,

It had a gym and pool. Night staff helpful with internet issue

Disappointed
    • Deluxe Double Room

Hotel is tired. Not very clean. Cig buts etc all around front door Lack of management staff to deal with a drunk customer who kept trying to play The piano. This put other customers off as well as us Unfortunately we eat out Because of this

Great location!
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

We booked two single beds but were given a family room, not a big issue but good for people to be aware of if that is important to them. The Jacuzzi was closed for cleaning which we were not aware of until we were in the health club, but the pool and steam room were lovely!

Great location! Breakfast was great too, made better by the general manager who was friendly, welcoming and entertaining

The selection of fresh fruit for breakfast was excellent as...
    • Executive Double Room with Club Lounge Access

Areas of the dining room and reception display units were covered in dust, this area should sparkle as it forms first impressions. Carpets leading to the dining area look grubby and need cleaning.

The selection of fresh fruit for breakfast was excellent as were the pastries.

Ideal location for a quiet stroll along the river...

The shower was out of date. And the shower curtain sticks to you when showering. Would be nice to use a modern glass shower...

The location was brilliant

Great break

Very pleasant and helpful staff. Room plenty big enough with good facilities.Food very good except on Monday they were very short of staff and curtain foods. The smoothies were great.

The staff are very friendly and helpful.
    • Executive Double Room with Club Lounge Access

The staff are very friendly and helpful. I liked using the spa facilities. And the breakfast was great. We got the executive room so we had access to the club lounge which was also really nice. We did not want for anything!

Most things
    • Executive Double Room with Club Lounge Access

Paid for club lounge only to find food was very slow arriving and we went without one night as it was very busy but that should not happen did complain at desk

Most things

A really enjoyable stay that contrasted with the "Fawlty Towers Experience" that we had come to see.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Only things that I could fault was the lack of real ale on tap and that the Guinness ran out as well.

Breakfast; Plenty of variety and choice and of good quality. The swimming pool clean and a good size. If I was staying longer, I thought the spa and gym facilities would be something to make use of

It was OK and a Tobys was literally next door.
    • Deluxe Double Room

The rooms are very dated and the walls were very thin, could hear everything next door said even in a whisper. The toilet did not flush had to pump it by pressing it several times in quick succession. I had no hot water for the entire stay, the most it ever got was slightly warm. Due to this, we showered in the "spa" changing rooms. Could not get reception on the TV, it kept breaking up and making a high pitched screeching noise. We tried to get help on it but was told to do some bizarre ritual before they would help us. The ritual didn't work so we didn't bother. The so called spa was actually a public swimming pool. There were supposed to be child free times, but there were always children in there even during these times. They were allowed to be loud, run around and exit and enter the sauna and steam rooms. Children cannot regulate their temperature as well as adults, so this is a major health and safety concern. The lockers are terrible, flimsy and I did not feel safe leaving my things in there. The only way to secure the key was to your clothing, had to pin it on as it is attached to a huge safety pin which I did not like as it ruined my bikini top. You also have to write your room number on a piece of paper in a publicly accessible reception, so it would be easy for someone to know you were not in your room at this time. Not sure they realise the safety issue there. The food is very overpriced for what you get. The breakfast is also not worth the price paid and they don't even have decent coffee. The so called club we got access to was terrible. It is a tiny room with hardly any space and they give lots of people only 2 hours to get the benefits, so it is always overfull. The coffee machine in here was broken and made a terrible noise even after they supposedly fixed it. The free drinks and snacks were also not worth it at all. There was wine, budweiser beer, tiny 150 ml cans of diet and normal coca cola.

The chair in my room was one of the most comfortable chairs I have sat in. The view of the Thames was nice. Lots of Swans, Canadian geese and Geese. The staff were very friendly. The balcony was a nice bonus, but not very pretty or private.

Overall a lovely hotel , well placed with all amenities close by,
    • Executive Double Room with Club Lounge Access

Room was nice but the executive suite was a normal room with a bigger bed. Bathroom was standard it also looked tired , sloppy painting and the electrical cord for the iron had exposed wires and not recently PAT tested

Staff were ready to help and really professional , food in the restaurant was perfect, breakfast was plentiful even when it came to lady 10 minutes of breakfast they were still adding fresh

Quite expensive for what you get. Would maybe stay again

Shower curtain was awful and caused a soaking of the bathroom everytime you used the shower. We weren’t on the river side of the hotel so our view was of the road.

Bed was comfortable and staff very friendly

My husband and myself enjoyed our stay as the hotel had a relaxing approach to it
    • Executive Double Room with Club Lounge Access

We upgraded to executive room which says there were views we looked onto a rooftop also bathrobes ect never had anything like that don't know if it was worth upgrading

The staff are awesome to this hotel couldn't do enough for you especially Caroline the waitress at the bar you have a special lady there working for you nothing is a problem

Excellent is the word for this hotel!

Nothing vas. All was excellent.

Comfortable room with large bed. Well tested room. The restaurant is very good and the pool facilities and spa just awesome. I travel around UK for work at least 10 days a month, and this is the best hotel I've stayed. Just wonderful. It even has a free parking and downtown is 10 minutes walk.

Perfect, left feeling very relax.

Tea being served from staff would rather had a pot to pour ourselves.

Only had breakfast, this was very well displayed and of very high quality and plenty of choice, had lovely breakfast didn’t need anything else to eat until our evening meal

Good hotel!
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Noisy hen party in next door room but that couldn't be helped and not hotel fault.

Nice gym and swimming pool. Nice room. Food was good and staff were polite

Great value for money, although a bit worn down.

The room was a bit dirty and worn down at some places. The bathtub was leaking despite only taking a short shower.

-Very friendly and professional staff overall. -The gymnasium and the sauna. -The breakfast buffet.

certainly stay again but not worth paying for a deluze room
    • Deluxe Double Room

Wasn't told I needed a code to get out of car park. Booked a deluze room and paid an extra £30 but it was no different to my sisters room and she got hot breakfeast included.

Nice pool, friendly staff, great location nice view of the Thames from the restaurant. Great security

Enjoyable break could have been better
    • Executive Double Room with Club Lounge Access

Location on the river quite close to the shopping although a little map showing you how to get there would have been nice.parking was good and the exec. Lounge was good if you could get into it.

For an exec. Room it was disappointing to have a river view of sorts over the main dining room roof structure,was led to believe on site that I would have a balcony this was not the case. Also silly things which I had booked for like dressing gowns etc we had to ask twice for them before they were put in our room also only one bottle of water when two adults in room trying to get an extra bottle was like trying to get Crown Jewels, got it eventually. The exec. Lounge was overcrowded on the Saturday and had standing room only which was disappointing so just retired to our own room. Sorry got the likes and dislikes wrong way around.

A good city hotel with good facilities

Think the entrance area could be cleaner.

Excellent breakfast everything cooked really well and good choice. Great to be able to have free secure parking.

QCD: Quality OK. Cost NG - value for money. Delivery OK - speed check-in & out good.

The view of the river - for a river view was very limited. One nearly needed to use ones imagination.

Check-In was expedient and the receptionist was very helpful.

Clean, comfortable rooms.

Road noise of my original room at the front of the hotel - but I am used to very quiet locations and staff were more than happy to find a quieter room at the back, which I was happy with.

Clean, comfortable rooms. Staff friendly and very helpful, happy to move me a couple of times until I found a very quiet room (I am very fussy!). Good location for access to Reading town centre and station without being too noisy. Lovely riverside views. Great choice at breakfast. Small but pleasant spa area.

All staff were helpful and the hotel was clean and comfortable.
    • Executive Double Room with Club Lounge Access

I was very disappointed with lunch I ordered a sandwich the bread was dry. And the salad that accompanied the sandwich was a few rocket leaves. Service was slow and a few people were complaining. I presumed they were short staffed in the kitchen. So I chose to eat out for dinner. I went in the spa and there was no room to swim as there were a lot of children in there and I presume they were due to start lessons. I had no problem with this I just wished that I was informed before I went in the pool and I would have gone in the pool later.

The staff were very polite and helpful. I booked an executive room but it was basic but very clean. The breakfast was very good and a lot of selection.

Childeen weren't allowed to use swimming pool from...

Childeen weren't allowed to use swimming pool from 12noon to 15pm.?! Absolutely ridiculous and very disappointing for a very keen 2 year old swimmer.

We would be happy to stay again but hope the breakfast arrangements will have improved.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

On the Saturday and Sunday a conference was in progress and because of the numbers, the breakfast service was poor. There were not sufficient staff in attendance, some food was in short supply and the bread rolls were dry. Since the hotel regularly hosts such events, this cannot be considered acceptable.

The lobby and reception area is good and the reception staff friendly, helpful and informative. The bedroom was roomy, clean and adequately appointed.

I’d booked bed & breakfast with booking.com but at breakfast we were told it was room only. I’d booked a room for £109. When we checked out it was £89. Poor communication somewhere along the line. I would never have booked that type of room for room only. Might as well have stayed in the Premier Inn. Totally spoilt our stay. Hotel breakfasts are the best bit!!

Relaxing and comfortable
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Restaurant and bar facility at the heart of hotel - comfortable & pleasant and offering very good food. Hotel location excellent. Very quiet room.

A reasonable stay in a conveniently located hotel.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

I asked the reception to call me a taxi to get me to the railway station but without being informed a hire car arrived and I was then charged 50% more than the taxi fare.

The location met my needs.

Although we didn't spend much time at the hotel, when we were there it was a lovely place to be.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

It would have been great to have choice of either hard or soft pillows. We struggled with using the air-conditioning/heater and just didn't have time to ask anyone about how it worked. Some instructions in the room would have been really useful.

The location was lovely, right on the river and with great views. The staff were excellent. So obliging and friendly. The food in the restaurant, both next to the bar and in the main restaurant was very good. On our first night there, after we had gone to bed, a person began smoking in the room next door. Because there was a connecting door, it came through. As it was too late to do anything, we reported it the next morning. We had an immediate apology from the duty manager and were offered another room, which was an upgrade. I was also given some flowers, which made us feel very welcome.

Very pleasant staff and excellent food. We shall return!

We found the lighting in the bathroom and over the dressing table in the bedroom to be insufficient for a lady to apply her make up, as they were really quite dim. However, the remainder of the lighting was excellent, as was the system of inserting the room card to activate and de-active the lights generally. For your information, we noticed that the downpipes from the roof are all clogged with foliage growing out of them! This could cause you serious problems in the future. This was viewed from the landing by the lifts, looking out towards the river.

The evening meal (i.e., dinner on the a la carte menu) was absolutely delicious. In fact, it was remarkable in its presentation and content. Our compliments to the Head Chef! We had two starters and two mains, which were par excellence.

Wasn’t worth the price
    • Executive Double Room with Club Lounge Access

I stayed in the executive room, paid extra for river view, and club lounge and wish I had not! The executive room was small, with a small bathroom, which I ended up burning my hand on the towel heater, and my towel almost ended up in the toilet because the towel rail is above the toilet. my river view was blocked by the foyer roof! The pictures on the website are misleading, The photos are taken of the room are taken in wide lense, so the room and bath room appear to look bigger than what they actually are. The club lounge was very, very, small, we arrived and had no where to sit, luckily enough after 5 minutes two people were leaving so we took their chairs. The stocking of the food/snacks were very slow.

Ideal location

Check in and out was seamless. Would have liked a bottle of water each in the room and perhaps another tea bag, but that's being picky! Car park very convenient and location of hotel meant we were able to walk by the river to shake down the excellent breakfast.

Average hotel, ovepriced for what you get
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

Spa facilities (weird smell in steam room), restaurant (food was average for the price), cleanliness could have been better - hairs on sheets

Good staff, good location, good breakfast

Location great, room pleasant.

The cooked breakfast was poor, the eggs particularly had been cooked and left in a heater and had gone rubbery and almost inedible. The coffee was lukewarm and tasteless. We stayed in a twin room and there was one bath towel and one hand towel and the dressing gowns were tired, stiff and rough.

Location great, room pleasant.

Browse Crowne Plaza Reading traveller photo gallery