Reviews of Hotel De Vie

22 Firgrove Hill, Farnham, GU9 8LQ, United Kingdom

#9 of 13 hotels in Farnham

Not a hotel we would ever stay at again or recommend

Parking area & grounds very untidy & gave poor first impression.Staff poorly trained in customer care.Facilities in room not as advertised on website.VERY NOISY location & this not evident when booking.

Comfortable bed & good shower

Room and bathroom clean to a high standard
    • Victorian Memories

No fridge, television too small for the size of the room, no iron or ironing board in room, only on request

Room and bathroom clean to a high standard Good breakfast

I loved that we had an upgrade already organised as there...
    • Decadence

I loved that we had an upgrade already organised as there was a repair needed to the window in the room we had previously been allocated. We ended up in the best room, with a huge bath and gorgeous bed. It was a hard decision which to spend more time in. Because we had to leave early we even had breakfast delivered to the room at no extra charge, which we pre-booked the previous evening. It was a fabulous stay and one I will be repeating

The property is well maintained.
    • Victorian Memories

The property is well maintained. We liked the decor and the ambience. The owner Martha cooked us very good breakfasts on the two days we stayed at the Vie.

Nice hotel for overnight stay
    • Lady Hamilton

Bed. I understand this is a personal preference so not a complaint. I felt the mattress was old and hard and creaky. I did fold the duvet cover in half to sleep on as felt every part of mattress but I am a bit boney.

Location, large rooms and clean nice staff

Excellent relax place to stay

I couldn't fault them.

The food was great.Snacks/ ji es were available at anytime and free. Place was very quiet and staff (Dawn) was very friendly and polite. She made us feel at home.

This is not a hotel. It is a poor guest house and the photographs give a total false perception
    • Lady Hamilton

Dirty carpets that desperately need cleaning or replacing. Walls are filthy and the whole building needs redecorating. The bathroom tiles were black in places with mould. The bath towels were old and needed replacing. I would not recommend.

The sheets were clean

• Gothic Nights

The car park sign was not well lit. The reception / bar was quite bleak and unwelcoming. The 'selection of snacks' was very limited, as was the selection of teas.

Reasonably sized room but limited table space for working. Decent breakfast

convenient location as very central but no premier inn
    • Lady Hamilton

there was no tea facilitates in the room while the coffee was excellent i like to take coffee in my room, my bed was old creaky and actually had one of the posters broken off.

the coffee was very good

Great food and good location but an exceptionally quiet hotel.

I was disappointed to find my room had not been cleaned. On day one the bed was made but not the bathroom, on day two not even the bed had been made. This was quickly resolved but would have preferred not to have to ask. I expected the hotel to be fairly quiet but I was the only person in the restaurant!

I would give the meals at the hotel 4/5 star for quality and service. Food was not only beautifully presented but also exceedingly tasty.

Interesting and would stay again if in the area.

Several different little touches - fresh free water in room; access to a fridge in lounge with cold drinks; snacks available. Very civilised and short walk into town centre.

Peaceful and quiet, but remote and not quite as classy as advertised.
    • Decadence

Location very hard to find, out of town. Decor was original and different but finish not great. TV was low tech and small. Expensive overall, not great value.

Very quiet, relaxing and service was good.

Great room, huge bed.
    • Suite

Wish we could have opened the room windows. After showering, our room was very stuffy & uncomfortable

Great room, huge bed. Lovely bathroom. Friendly, helpful staff & delicious full breakfast.

very disappointing

Bedroom number 6 is without exaggeration 9 feet square and the bathroom was the smallest we've ever had. When I complained to the owner he simply said he accepted my criticism and kept meaning to clarify the size of this particular room on his and Booking.coms website. For £100 per night it was unreasonable. At best the room could be described as a small single.

Easy parking

Ok hotel I thought overpriced

My bed was so uncomfortable headboard and footboard no good for tall people I tried to sleep in the floor so I could stretch. I could hear the washing machine from my small room but I couldn't sleep anyways Breakfast was ok one sausage on egg tiny amazing of beans I paid £120 for one night I think even at £50 it's overpriced

Friendly staff Free coffee teas biscuits juice downstairs plus a kettle in your room

Highly NOT Recommended!
    • Lady Hamilton

The bathroom was pathetic and the tap was extremely difficult to turn on. The shower was alternating between very hot and like warm water. There was a constant buzzing sound which disturbed our rest through the night. Lastly, I was charged £15 for checking out late at 1150am. A reminder call was not given to warn us that the checkout time was 11am instead of 12pm. What a rip off!

expensive ,not welcoming, would never stay at this hotel again.
    • Lady Hamilton

bed could only be accessed from one side,no bed side tables only one chair in a double room, very poor lighting,breakfast was small portion and bacon was over cooked,there were no croissants only toast (one slice of very cheep bread)

Aimed at a certain market......
    • Gothic Nights

Having to ring bell for entry, and not a warm welcome when we arrived. Room was hot and if you opened the windows quite a bit of traffic noise (although they do provide earplugs!). Mattress needs replacing Cold tap had the centre "c" missing, hot tap hard to turn on, bedside lamp missing - which overall led to the feeling that this hotel has seen better days Had to ring bell for breakfast - so felt like we were an inconvenience and overall it feels like this hotel is a little tired. After staying here we realised that this hotel caters for a certain market - which is fair enough but then would have liked some warning of this - it explains the premium. I would not class this as boutique....and was very disappointed in cost of stay for the room. I would not book here again unless I was really desperate.....

Good location - easy access to transport and Farnham.

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

Great one night stay
    • Decadence

Need eye mask as too much light in room in morning. Confusing help yourself coffee machines in lounge. Tv in room very small. Town close but Need a car to drive into centre. On main road.

Style of room. Adult theme decor. Fantastic surprise under bed. High ceiling and spacious.

• Reviewed: 13 May 2017

Farnham is a beautiful village.
    • Decadence

My opinions are mainly based on the fact it's an adult hotel. The bathroom was tiny, it would have been nice to have had the shower slightly bigger to be able to share. The bedspread needed a wash, it smelt. I forgot to mention it to staff when I left Unfortunately it also had my pet hate, a noisy bed, creaks and squeaks with every movement.

The love swing in the room was great fun The location was beautiful, walking distance to the village of Farnham that has many lovely shops, pubs, and restaurants. The staff were friendly, welcoming and helpful.

• Reviewed: 12 May 2017

OK

Sadly no staff appeared to make breakfast for the residents...this was not intentional but did spoil the staying in a hotel experience... and meant we had to go else where after discovering nobody was coming to prepare it. We were compensated by a reduction in the room rate....

It was a quirky hotel, and suitable for our one night stay in Farnham needs.

• Reviewed: 5 May 2017

Nice enough 'ADULT' place, friendly staff, could do with a refresh in places
    • Victorian Memories

Not our taste, but everyone's different. This is an adults hotel... we read as no children (which we were indifferent to), but the sex swing in the room (fairly tired looking if I'm honest), the burlesque paintings and the promise of much more romantic suites if we came back suggest something a little more exotic.

10/15 min walk to town centre. Staff were nice. There's also free snacks and juices etc. Breakfast is good quality, although it's a shame the person on reception has to also cook as it's difficult for them to manage check outs and what is/isn't available from a food perspective. Unfortunately a lot of the menu was unavailable when we stayed.

A pleasant boutique hotel

There was nothing we disliked

The room was well appointed decorated in a french style. The hotel was located within easy walking distance of Farnham town centre.

• Reviewed: 13 April 2017

A Magical Experience !
    • Lady Hamilton

There was nothing that I didn't like.

I loved the beautiful homely yet sophisticated decor of the hotel. The breakfast was divine and the hospitality just gorgeous. What a truly exceptional place to stay.

• Reviewed: 4 April 2017

Excellent little hotel
    • Gothic Nights

A very friendly little hotel and helpful staff. Made to feel very welcome. Good breakfast and a close walk into town. Some might find the rooms quite old looking but this I feel was the theme of the hotel.

• Reviewed: 1 April 2017

It served a purpose but we wouldn't stay there again.

Our room was tiny and the ensuite was the smallest we've ever had. There was no room at all for us to relax or to prepare for the wedding we had come to the area for. On the plus side the room and the communal areas were clean and tidy but a big no no was with the lady that cooked our breakfast. She had on dirty clothes and boots ..both days... which was a bit off putting, especially as she was actually very friendly and helpful. She really needs to wear a clean apron and spotless clothing to give a better impression. The welcome to the hotel was also lacklustre and the gentleman who booked us in didn't make any effort to make us feel valued guests.

The bed was very comfortable, the shower was strong and hot and the breakfasts were good.

• Reviewed: 31 March 2017

Comfortable and convenient

An easier key to get into room. It was large and sometimes took a while to find the hole!

Very comfortable bed. Friendliness of staff. General ambiance. Free coffee available from machine at any time.

• Reviewed: 29 March 2017

Great place to stay just out of town

Nothing to report

Great place to stay...staff great to talk to. The lady in the morning was absolutely brilliant and great personality. More than happy to go again

The bath
    • Suite

Bed was lumpy and uncomfortable. Health and safety issues with hooking the swing. Breakfast was a little well done ! Couldn't get knife or fork into the bacon !

The bath

• Reviewed: 23 January 2017

Romantic, quiet little retreat.
    • Suite

Heating could have been on before we got into the room, as it took a while to warm up. The water was very intermittent, not enough for a hot bath. But the staff compensated our evening meal for the inconvenience.

The staff were warm and welcoming. The decor and cleanliness was great. Food was delicious.

• Reviewed: 5 December 2016

Good place

Bedding a bit old and tattered, sheets a bit smelly (mouldy smell) - in fairness I was there only for one night and I was so tired from traveling that I didn't complain, so I guess it's my own fault to an extent

Nice hotel, good night's sleep, good customer seevice.

• Reviewed: 14 November 2016

It was o.k. but would not recommend it except for peoble visiting someone in til close neighborhood.
    • Business King Room

Cleanliness was questionable and our room was not attended at all before our last night.

The hotel suited our needs this time because we were visiting friends living in the neighborhood.

• Reviewed: 2 October 2016

Scarlet room never fails to impress.

Nothing. It was lovely.S

Bed was extremely comfy. Bath was luxurious. Room had all the comforts anyone could want and spotlessly clean. Beautiful decor too. 👌

• Reviewed: 25 September 2016

A little tired...

The hotel is tired. All the carpets need replacing. The photos make it look a lot fresher & fancier than it is. The 'love swing' broke off the ceiling. Fortunately the injury was minor & we saw the funny side but given that was the hotels quirky feature & it broke within a few mins it was disappointing.

The bed was huge & really comfortable. Staff were friendly & helpful. Town was walkable & the choice of good restaurants was excellent.

• Reviewed: 17 August 2016

Convenient location to town.
    • Gothic Nights

Breakfast room coffee & tea all a little painful, machine too complicated - ran out of water & none to hand, prefer a simple cafetiere.

Convenient location to town. Comfortable room, friendly helpful staff. 'Love Swing' gave us a laugh if nothing else.Endearingly chaotic breakfast arrangements.

• Reviewed: 7 August 2016

Ideal location for a couple enjoying weekend. Great location for me heading for 100 mile run.

Extractor fan stayed on for 30 mins. Small point but I had to go to bed early and it kept me up for a bit.

The bath was amazing. A bit lost on me as I was on my own but great for releasing tension/relaxing pre 100 mile run.

• Reviewed: 29 July 2016

• Gothic Nights

The location was noisy until late at night The mattress springs were shot The breakfast was self service except for the cooked element which was very good

Hotel was generally clean and smart

• Reviewed: 23 July 2016

Wonderful Stay
    • Suite

Lovely Hotel and Scarlet Suite was beautiful. Hotel staff were very friendly and I would definitely recommend staying at this Hotel as you won't be disappointed.

Breakfast was nice.
    • Decadence

It was not very clear on the booking website what "type" of hotel it was. It made us feel a bit uncomfortable.

Breakfast was nice.

Comfortable
    • Victorian Memories

Freshly home made breakfast good. Good blackout curtains.

Whealen Wedding
    • Victorian Memories

Location was perfect and easy to find .

Pleasant
    • Gothic Nights

Not enough coat hangers or kettle

Clean room

Defintely recommended
    • Victorian Memories

Lovely little hotel with fantastic and helpful staff. Great location, 10 minutes of walking to centre, definitely recommended !!!

Everything was as I believed it should be, excellent.

• Decadence

Free upgraded room on arrival was a very nice touch

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

The room and facilities were one of the best I have stayed at for a long while
    • Lady Hamilton

The TV hanging bracket was faulty in my room (Lady Hamilton). It would not turn to watch in bed. A minor thing really

Didn't have breakfast

it was all good

it was all good

Excellent. My second visit

Excellent breakfasts!

Excellent breakfasts!

Convenient

Rather strange decor

Lack of staff and service sums up this hotel

The lack of staff - got back at 10 and couldn't get a drink

Not A Lot

Glad it was one night

Pathetic tv facilities.

Bed was comfy everything else underwhelming

Nothing to write
    • Lady Hamilton

Shower was erratic, turns cold suddenly

Nothing - too expensive for what we got.

Intimate and friendly. Great host and near to town centre e
    • Decadence

My wardrobe was leaning forward.

Comfort, quietness, and service excellent, plus the breakfast I choose was superb quality

Lovely stay, room was perfect, hotel was perfect and we would definitely go back again.
    • Suite

Breakfast, portions were very small and not much choice.

Personal touches, bubble bath in room, candles in room etc. Perfect for couples.

Peaceful Farnham stay

Nice size room, quiet location 5mins walk from Farnham centre. Good on site parking. Great breakfast options and decent coffee machine.

Awesome for couples

No applicable

Extra extra large bed, extra extra large bath. Stunning room, stunning bar all was immaculately clean

Naughty but nice!

Leaving Sunday morning!

The double bath, candles and the four poster bed and the love swing!

Beautiful room I would only ask for air conditioning as...
    • Suite

Beautiful room I would only ask for air conditioning as rather warm

Great atay

Na

Just a quirky hotel friendly ataff

Great place to stay.
    • Suite

Great place to stay.the suite was lovely. Farnham is a great town to relax in.

Lady Nadia who served breakfast was amazing!
    • Lady Hamilton

Lady Nadia who served breakfast was amazing!

• Reviewed: 13 April 2017

Staff

Staff

perfect romantic night away

Nothing bad all good

Amazing hotel, room was beautiful, very clean, lovely staff, lots of pillows

• Reviewed: 18 February 2017

Friendly staff

Breakfast could be improved

Large room, convenient location to walk to centre of Farnham. Staff were friendly.

• Reviewed: 12 February 2017

Excellent breakfast

Bedroom had everything you need but a bit small

• Reviewed: 9 February 2017

Very clean.

Didn't have breakfast choices. Room tiny.

Very clean. Good value

• Reviewed: 28 January 2017

Excellent shower

Room was small and we were the only guests so why not upgrade to a bigger room and encourage us to come back?

Excellent shower

• Reviewed: 19 January 2017

Quiet.
    • Gothic Nights

Quiet. Friendly. Spacious room & bathroom. Walking distance to local rail station. Free snacks, coffee/tea. Free WiFi.

• Reviewed: 14 November 2016

Best weekend get away for couples

Staff were great . Lovely and quiet . Really nice room

• Reviewed: 1 November 2016

Amazing bath, and amazing breakfast, staff were very helpful

Amazing bath, and amazing breakfast, staff were very helpful

• Reviewed: 21 October 2016

Excellent stay for adults!

Everything!!!

• Reviewed: 2 October 2016

An older pleasant hotel

Noisy road

Good sized room. Good parking

• Reviewed: 27 September 2016

Lovely stay for a local wedding
    • Gothic Nights

In centre of town - lovely staff and clean room

• Reviewed: 25 September 2016

Best little hotel I've stayed in. Perfect 👍
    • Gothic Nights

Beautifully clean. Hidden gem. Staff were amazingly friendly. Room was big and airy. Fit for a princess 😀