Reviews of Derwentwater Hotel 3 stars

Portinscale, Keswick, CA12 5RE, United Kingdom

#21 of 21 hotels in Keswick

Based on 1970 hotel reviews

• Manor Classic Two-Bedroom Apartment

It's a tad old and the doors (especially the bathrooms) need a bit of work!

The friendliest staff and the most charming cottages! We stayed in a two-bedroom manor apartment that was able to fit all six of my family, and it was cosy and lovely to have homecooked meals and a good night's sleep after hiking around the lakes.

It needs some updates in a big way. The corridors and stair wells were very shabby. The staff was kind but somewhat confused at times. The breakfast was a mess. The rooms were clean but worn. I understand this is an old hotel with a following of older clientele but it could be so much better with some simple updates and upkeep.

The location was good and the beer garden nice.

• Classic Twin Room

The room smelt a little musky at first as though it needed airing but the beds were very comfortable.

Loved the area and the walk to the river was great. Beautiful scenery.

• Double Room with Lake View

Grubby accomodation, not what I would expect for £150 per night. Hotel was understaffed and the staff were stressed out. They were working very hard so that is understandable so no complaints about any individuals but the hotel needs more staff so that the guests have a more pleasurable experience.

Fantastic location

• Double Room with Lake View

It is a place for people to go who have dogs. Dogs everywhere. Also further away from Keswick than expected, a long walk and further by car. Was not easy to find on GPS or with receptionist instructions.

I would never stay there again.

• Manor Classic One-Bedroom Apartment

The room was very outdated and over priced for what it was. It wasn't particularly clean as there were some stains on the carpet.

The location isn't too bad- it is a 15 minute walk to the main town center but it is a pleasant walk through a field. It is also located in front of a lake, which provides for nice scenery. Staff are friendly and helpful. Plenty of parking at the property.

Room 238!!

A lovely old hotel, clean but definitely old. Lovely gardens, good food....a pleasant experience. Our room was dark and dingy and the view was another wall with a window in it. My sister and her husbands room looked out onto the gardens.

• Manor Classic One-Bedroom Apartment

Noise from upstairs apartment between 1am and 3am on consecutive nights. Manager promises to deal but no feedback before third night .Had to ask at reception re any outcome but receptionist clueless. Manager not available til next day! Shower either scalding or freezing , again manager so off hand - I’ll get maintenance to deal, but no action. Access to under counter small fridge freezer - get on your knees to retrieve stuff from fridge , and freezer totally iced up. Fan oven dirty. Windows to lovely view but filthy! Finally, on leaving, I point out to Manager that he has failed to show any real concern for any of the problems ...no real apologies, which he disputed aggressively. He then says ‘You are disgusting ...saying ‘you did not want to be seeing the charity box for Dementia on the counter the other day’!! This referred to the conversation regarding two nights of noise , no sleep and I explained that this added to my stress as the purpose of my visit was seeing my mother who has Alzheimer’s/ dementia and I gestured to the box right next to me as I said this . He surely misheard what I said....to accuse me of wanting it removed? He insisted that was what I said despite my trying to explain the reality. By implication....accusing me of disability discrimination? For more than 10yrs I have done a 7hr drive to Cumbria to visit my mother (now 95 now barely knows me, ) using the Derwentwater Apartments on several occasions. I wonder why the manager did not give me his full name on request ? He wrote on the hotel business card Carl + Ollie. ?? So, never , never again will I go near the place.

Location and bed comfortable.

• Classic Double Room

The room we were given was shabby, very litte day light and very small. The small window looked out onto another wall. The bathroom smelt like a deep fat fryer and if we had the window open it smelt like cigarettes. Definitely not worth the £71 it cost.

Good location from the lake

• Classic Double Room

Looking a little dated could do with a good paint job inside . Food was ok but room for improvement.. breakfast in the restaurant wasn’t included to my surprise for price we paid.

Spacious bar area with nice beer garden to rear overlooking lake and hills. Clean enough with helpful staff

• Manor Classic Two-Bedroom Apartment

The self catering flat was in need of total updating - black mould around the bath, a freezer cabinet in the fridge with the door missing so food which was in the fridge froze, and a sticky extractor fan and cooker controls. Old; tatty bathroom fittings. Taps in the bath which moved when you turned them on. We logged these issues whilst we were there, but no one wrote them down - they just said they would'deal with it'. The Room looked nothing like the pictures on the hotel website.

Clean bed linen and towels & fantastic location

• Classic Twin Room

Basic room. Food is overpriced for what it is. They should have a shuttle to Keswick the nearest town. I've stayed in B&B's which offer better value...

Location - was close to Keswick Extreme Adventure which is why we were there.

• Classic Double Room

Needs decorating and plumbing sorted out. No hot water in sink tap. Loud noises when others used their showers or sinks and toilets.

Great position, next to lake

• Double Room with Lake View

The bathroom had some mold and the toilet had a problem with the cistern, which eventually stopped but could not be fixed at the time of the complaint. We eat at the hotel in the evening, the first steak I ordered was returned as it was burnt (not over cooked but burnt) the second was not the sirloin I ordered but rump and was not cooked enough very rare. To top it all off the waiter smelt like an ash tray as he kept going out to smoke, really unpleasant to have someone smelling of stale smoke serving your food. Reception advised the manger would contact me re-my complaint, they never contacted me at any time, poor customer care.

Hotel is pleasant enough, and in a very good location.

• Classic Double Room

The only thing I would recommend is that they have a little better menu in the bar area, and they would make more money if a staff member was to come over every so often and ask if you wanted, more drinks, coffees etc.

Perfect for Dogs, Huge Garden with bowls of drinking water for them, gorgeous private walk down to the lake. I would definitely return for the dogs point of view. They also do COFFEE or TEA to go which we did for our long journey. The reception staff are VERY friendly and very nice and the housekeeping staff we met were also very friendly

• Classic Double Room

Brilliant place and superb location. Excellent facilities, clean and comforting and inviting. Staff seemed thin on the ground and Jessica on the bar was doing a fantastic job . She has a natural rapport with people and is a real credit to the hotel. She will go far definitely.

• Classic Twin Room

Good sized room, comfy beds. Breakfast buffet was nice (Full English plus cereal/porridge/fruit) - they have a lovely large garden which must be great on a nice day. Walking distance to Keswick centre through fields which was lovely.

• Classic Double Room

Room needed some maintenance, shower not working 100%. Decor looking a little tired. Would have been more helpful if all staff could communicate in full.

Great location. Friendly Staff. Good basic accommodation and facilities. Jessica Gibbs was the outstanding member of staff. Helpful, friendly and seem to be doing other staff members jobs as well as her own. She was excellent and took the initiative when the fire alarm went off.

• Classic Double Room

The room was tired. The cutlery at breakfast was quite dirty. Also, they put the clean bed sheets and towels on the floor outside the room on a dirty floor before being changed by the maid

Close to the lake. Nice view from the window.

• Classic Double Room

Could do with a lick of paint but other than that it was great

Paid for a double room and got a free upgrade to an apartment - lovely and spacious, had everything we needed. Staff were friendly and happy to help. Made my stay great

• Classic Twin Room

Hotel is very run down needs a complete revamp although it seems carpets and exterior have been upgraded room was clean and comfortable but bottom of shower screen was filthy with accumulation of dirt,top inside of window was dirty,mattress had a broken spring which scratched my leg!! I didn't even bother to complain as staff were very unhelpful

location is good and grounds well looked after especially for dogs

There was no condiments for your meals on any tables when asked they didn’t have them, hotel had dogs in it from other guests which you heard non stop. In the evening outside non guests who used the bar could be heard well up to midnight.

Not a lot would no recommend to stay here

• Classic Double Room

The hotel in general is very dirty,stairs carpets ect.,lots of dogs and no cleaners not ahealthy combination,rooms painted in emulsion to look good on a photograph,the first room we were given was shocking we would not have stayed in it,they gave us an upgrade which was better,but still poor,this hotel is set in the 70s/80s,not upgraded since,I trust booking.com to give reliable information,you should have a look at this place

The location is good.

• Manor Classic One-Bedroom Apartment

I booked early check in saying I would get there at 11am but when we checked in the receptionist did not give us a key but simply checked us in. When I asked for a key she said the room was not ready and we couldn't have it before 1pm. I could not see why she would allow us to check in but not let us have the room. There was little point in checking in!! Apart from that the stay was lovely

• Double Room with Lake View

Unable to have lunch on the Saturday at the hotel due to staffing issue. No salt and vinegar with chips when brought to room or ketchup.

The lady on reception was so helpful as I was unsure if I was heading in the correct direction for the hotel so she walked to meet me so that I did not get lost. Much appreciated. No fuss location where I was able to walk around in socks after my footwear was drenched from Ghyll Scrambling....

• Manor Classic One-Bedroom Apartment

The apartment was tired and in need of paint. the spring door closures on the doors we too strong and closed as I was walking through it and the handle ripped my shirt The wall were dirty and damaged The oven dirty Cobwebs hanging from lights in kitchen and hallway Holes in the wall near boiler Mold on shower screen Fan in bathroom not working Mold on net curtains Our car door got damaged whilst parked in our allocated parking bay, by another car opening their door onto ours and denting our door We went to reception and complained about the state of the room when we arrived and was told that was the only room, they couldnt do anything. We reminded them of the room when leaving and also the damage and not even a sorry! Pity really as this would be a great hotel apart from these points. We quite often travrl to Keswick and was hoping we found the ideal hotel We have photos and going to email the hotel management directly

Location- a 1 mile walk down a stone path to the town Dog friendly

• Classic Twin Room

The decor needed attention, especially in the bathroom. There were no curtains, just frosted glass in the bottom half. - Room 109

The location just across the fields from Keswick is excellent. Very peacefull during the day and night.

• Manor Classic Two-Bedroom Apartment

Apartment smells musty & damp (unbearable!!) Extremely dated (1980's) Sofa/chairs extrememly uncomfortable Nets have brown stains on them Cups dirty (didnt use anything) Put items in fridge - came out frozen!! No door on internal freezer box Bathroom absolutely disgraceful, large cobwebs, mouldy around tiles & missing grout,  mould on ceiling. Huge gap down side of bath panel Floor DIY bodge job Old bathroom furinture tarnished Bath taps constantly leaking Wallpaper.peeling Light switches filthy Mould around windows Beds uncomfortable - again furniture very dated. Didn't want to touch anything!!! Just awful, worst place if ever stayed!!! Internet does not show true style. Not stay for the second night so checked out on cut trip short and went home Wanted to switch to hotel room but nothing available for both nights.

Location, bar area, gardens.

• Classic Double Room

The place was absolutely disgusting. A terrible excuse for a hotel. Everything was so worn and tired from the carpets to the door and window frames and everything in between. The bath and shower barely worked and were just a trickle. The hotel felt grubby and unclean. It needs some serious work to bring it up to an acceptable standard

Nothing at all

• Manor Classic One-Bedroom Apartment

The apartment we stayed in needs updating / refurbishment and it was not very clean - however overall it was good - lovely location and gardens, quiet at night, good size bedroom and large separate living / kitchen area

• Classic Double Room

Kept up by noisy residents till 4am drinking. Issues with the hot water where our room was meaning I couldn’t shower on the day we checked out/my birthday

Nice location, staff very helpful.

• Classic Double Room

The hotel is dated and the rooms maintained poorly, particularly the bathrooms. The restaurant had pretensions of grandeur and delivered horrible food: overcooked steak and raw vegetables.

Convenient for walking the Cumbria Way. Amazing grounds on the shore of Derwentwater.

The hotel was tired and filthy with dead flies on the window Cill in the dining area. The bedroom was dark and looked onto a wall. The hall carpet looked like it had never been vacuumed. The food was pretty unpleasant. I have never stayed anywhere as depressing. We stayed one night and couldn’t wait to leave. We checked out before breakfast.

• Classic Double Room

Refurbished apartment which met all our requirement. Bed super-king size and comfortable.

Lovely country location 15 minutes flat walk along the river into Keswick. Large beer garden with walk down to lake. Breakfast self service and very nice.

• Classic Double Room

Room was too warm and could only open the small window at the top. Shower pressure was really poor

Large bedroom with comfy bed. Good food at the bar lovely gardens and walk down to the lake

• Classic Double Room

Fried eggs under lights not good.

I was worried about staying at this hotel because of reviews on trip advisor. Had a lovely stay, good room over looking the garden and lake. The conservatory was lovely for drinks and bar food. The breakfast was good. I’d definitely stay again.

• Manor Classic Two-Bedroom Apartment

We booked an apartment and actually ended up in a 3 storey house!...unfortunately the property was badly in need of renovation, which was a shame, as it was a lovely stone/slate built house typical of the area...it could be beautiful, but should be better maintained. Having said that, everything worked, great shower, great wi-fi, and immaculate bedding...all you would need really.

Excellent location, just a short walk into Keswick town centre....nice grounds/garden with a short private path to the lakeside. All the staff were friendly and helpful. Ideal location for both dog-lovers and families with children as there is plenty of space in the hotel gardens to walk and play....quite a laid-back atmosphere!

• Classic Double Room

The bathroom could do with an upgrade.

The room was spacious, bed and pillows were really comfy. It was nice and quiet with a lovely 20 minute stroll into Keswick. The bar, restaurant and beer garden was really nice with fantastic views.

• Classic Double Room

Overcharged on arrival but credit given straight away. Room 155 was spacious but above restaurant kitchen so heard noisy staff at odd times. Yelling etc. Food average.

Spacious room.

• Classic Double Room

The attitude of the manager in the restaurant. We had booked bed and breakfast for our 3 night stay but decided to have dinner in the hotel on the last night. We had a dinner in the bar area as dogs are not allowed in the dining hall. This was fine by us but when we were served our dinner you expect to be offered water with your meal. We thought they would bring it but it never came so I went to the dining hall and asked for two glasses of water, only to be told to get it from the bar. When I looked at the bar two people were waiting to be served so I left without it because by now my food was cold. So me and my husband just had to drink the water out off the bottle i had in my bag. So all i can say it ruined it for us on the last day.

Everything was good up until the last day.

• Classic Double Room

Ordered club sandwich on white and medium rare steak and got a club sandwich on brown and a well done steak. There was no check back so could not bring to anyone’s attention and were very hungry after our day so just had to eat it.

For the price nearly £150 we had a musty smelling room with paint peeling off the walls and a view of the bins not really what I expected. The staff and downstairs of the hotel looked fantastic and the bar and dinning areas were really nice. We had food that evening which was nice enough although we ordered a club sandwich on white bread and it came on brown

• Classic Double Room

Currently undergoing renovation and our room clearly had a lick of paint however the bathroom was old and dated and needed a deep clean. I was disappointed that the couple who checked in before us paid a much cheaper rate than I did.

Great location and very quiet hotel.

• Classic Double Room

The Hotel was not particularly clean either in the stairways or rooms. I moved an information folder and was covered in dust and the skirting etc was dusty. The night porter emptied a number of bins on several occasions loudly at 4.30am on the Saturday morning and on the Sunday morning we were woken by birds in the hatch above the bed squawking and rummaging about. This went on for several hours. On checking out we informed the receptionist and the 'handyman' at the desk and said that they should not let that room until the birds had been cleared. The chap informed us that he couldn't do anything about it and the girl just said thanks.

The beds were comfortable, the room a good size and the hotel accommodated twin beds after I had booked a double by mistake. The location was excellent for the activities we had planned and just a short walk to a nice pub, lake side and Keswick

• Family Room

Sadly the hotel is in desperate need of a good clean and a facelift. The staff are working hard in difficult conditions.

The setting was beautiful. Keswick within easy reach. Friendly staff.

• Classic Twin Room

The decor was a bit tired, with places where the wall paper was coming away from the walls. It was the attention to detail that was missing The food in the dining room for the evening meal was very poor and we did hear another resident complain. There was no atmosphere in the restaurant however this was more to do with the age group of the guests than the staff or hotel.

The reception staff were wonderful....so helpful and polite. We had to report a problem with our apartment door, and although they couldn't get it fixed straight way, they kept us informed on when it would be fixed. The man who was in charge for the weekend (I feel awful for not getting his name) was particularly helpful and helped in getting us a taxi on Saturday night despite how busy it was and lack of availability of cars. The bar staff and restaurant staff were lovely. We also got upgraded to an apartment which was lovely, particularly as we went from the expectation of sharing a twin room to the reality of a two bed ensuite apartment. After returning home we realised we left some valuables behind and contacted the hotel immediately. Both Amy and Gail were incredibly helpful, staying calm despite my obvious distress, locating the valuables and going down to the post office that day to return them to me. The grounds and views are stunning

• Classic Double Room

We stayed here several years ago and felt that standard had dropped. Although comfortable the hotel was looking a little shabby and in need of a makeover.! Also felt it was understaffed.

An excellent location. Facilities in conservatory area good and a.c. feasible all day. Food was v. Good.

• Classic Double Room

Nothing, already booked a return visit

Friendly staff, great location and the bench at the bottom of the gardens overlooking Derwentwater is such an beautiful spot. Great ‘all you can eat’ breakfast sets you up for day of walking.

The bed. The decor. Rubbish facilities

I have never slept in such an uncomfortable bed! Honestly, springs poked into my back. The decor is very dated! No hot water just tepid warm. The only thing going for it is the location and that is it!

• Classic Twin Room

Bedroom was basic, bathroom very shabby. Noisy, which disturbed our sleep. Bar area could be cleaner and although breakfast was ok the bar food was awful.

Convenient location and child friendly. Polite staff.

• Classic Twin Room

The room as fine but possibly in need of updating, however it was very reasonably priced so really not an issue!

Lovely hotel, perfect for our trip to the Lake District. The room was perfectly adequate; clean and comfortable. The gardens were lovely with Derwent Water just a the bottom of the garden. There were games to play (putting and balls etc) and the staff were all great. The conservatory area was lovely to relax in too.

• Classic Twin Room

Our room 001 was mouldy due to the fact that you had to climb onto the windowsill to open the window - therefore it was growing alot of mould round the window. The bathroom also had alot of mould on the shower. We were moved on request. The customer service from some of the staff was pretty shocking - although some of the staff were excellent - a real mixed bag. The way the food orders are managed through the kitchen is unacceptable - leaving us with an hour wait for our evening meal.

• Manor Classic One-Bedroom Apartment

We didn't like the fact that you were allotted two toilet rolls, 4 tea bags, 4 milks, then expected to pay for extras. Hotel food left a lot to be desired, the vegetables were far from fresh, yellow broccoli and rubbery carrots but the meat course was OK.

Very comfortable bed, the apartment was well supplied and larger than we expected. Good situation close to Derwentwater.

Apartment a bit musty but it was early in the season (May bank holiday). No draught ales served in the bar, there were only bottles, which was a disappointment for the men in our party.

Fantastic location, right by the lake, but also a pleasant walk into Keswick. Great to have the independence of an apartment with the facilities of a hotel next door. Spacious apartment although decor a little tired.

• Manor Classic Two-Bedroom Apartment

I booked with booking.com in December and traveled to the hotel in may. On arrival they tried telling me that the prices for pets had risen from £7 per pet per night to £15 per pet per night. I argued the point as I had not been informed of this in writing and as it was a huge leap in price I wasn't prepared to pay it. They also tried to charge me more for the appointment, luckily I had printed the information from booking.com and taken it with me as I had secured the price at the time of booking. They did honour the prices but it was quite stressful sorting it out. Shower in room was awful, we couldn't regulate it.

Location was excellent. Apartment was well equipped and clean. Beds were comfortable. Very pet friendly. Grounds were well kept. Beautiful location in a very pretty little village. Most of the staff were friendly and helpful

• Classic Double Room

Three rooms booked mine was ok but one of the other rooms the shower was broken and both other couples with me commented on how noisy it was due to the rooms above them even at 05.00 in the morning, lots of shouting and noise which could be the staff starting early.

good location , a nice walk into Keswick, breakfast was good buffet style with plenty of choice

• Classic Double Room

The room was tatty - the decor, the finished in the bathroom. There were stains around the toilet base and the shower screen was mouldy and the rubber seal broken. No pillow case protectors and there was a blood strain on one pillow. The mattress protector was disintegrating and stained. The decor was chipped and stained plus the carpet liked dirty.

The view from the window was pleasant.

• Classic Twin Room

Initial room not really suitable for a 3 night stay as below ground level on the roadside with frosted glass window and bathroom in need of refurbishment. However when we raised this we were upgraded to an apartment so all was well from the 2nd night. Very helpful reception staff.

A very friendly atmosphere and great lounge areas and outside seating in pleasant gardens. Lovely views and walks to the lakeside. Very comfortable and well appointed apartment. Delicious and good value food.

• Double Room with Lake View

The tea facilities in the room were a little lacking in choice of tea. Our 'lake view' was a slither of lake from the window.

Great location and a healthy 10 minutes walk to Keswick along a picturesque path. The staff were all lovely and went out of their way to help - they provided maps of walks and a DVD player.

• Classic Double Room

Room was very hot Bathroom was very small Small car park (with plenty of bad parking and people opening doors into cars!)

Location, only about a mile walk from Keswick centre. Lovely garden and views from the conservatory.

• Manor Classic One-Bedroom Apartment

A little bit out of Keswick but it's a nice walk around 20 minutes, so if you want something a little bit livelier it's not the place for you. However it suited us!

Spacious flat, with all the necessary equipment needed if you want to cook. Nice touch that tea towels dish cloths and dish washer tablets were left out for use and tea and coffee. Flat was clean and furnishings modern. Lovely setting, gardens were beautiful and a lovely walk to the lake. Staff were friendly. Staff were friendly, and we were greeted well

• Classic Double Room

There is absolutely nothing in Derwentwater no corner shop one pub and one tea room which the tearoom closed at 5 and the pub had bad reviews so had to go back into Keswick. Also very small tv in room with no mini fridge.

Loved the walk down to the lake from the hotel gardens and how close it was to the walkway through to Keswick

• Classic Double Room

The room faced directly onto the street and could really have done with some blinds up, as to retain any privacy the curtains needs to be permanently closed (or a sheet carefully positioned). The shower, and I use the term loosely, was a trickle at a best not even strong enough rinse out shampoo. I found the lady on reception most unhelpful bordering on arrogant and rude, to the point that I felt like an inconvenience to her. Breakfast was under cooked and lukewarm :-(. Dirty plates and unclean tables. Outside needs a thorough clean as I found my elbows sticking to tops of the benches and detracted from the pleasantness.

The location of the hotel is ideal, close to Keswick with a beautiful garden area to the rear. Breakfast was buffet :-) Outside area really was a treat. Room was clean though and the bed comfortable.

• Classic Twin Room

We payed £150 for one night(26th May) for a room that needed an update,breakfast was extra at £10.95 each, and it was the worst breakfast we've had in any hotel,there weren't any grilled tomatoes, only tined,no fried eggs only scrambled that looked like porridge, think it was dried eggs (didn't try)it was all a compleat ripoff.Dogs allowed to run riot in well kept garden. Don't go by the photo's on Web site they are very misleading.

Grounds are well kept,the hotel is going through an update.

• Classic Double Room

The breakfast could have been a bit more imaginative. It was self-service and the price was £10.95 per person whereas it said £8.50 on the sheet I had printed out the day before from booking.com website. so they need to keep the price up dated. the chipolata sausages were not the best, and the bacon not the best.

The location and the access to the lake along a wooded walk with fantastic views opening up are just wonderful. We were given a superior room instead of the classic room we'd paid for so that was nice. I expect other rooms would have spectacular views across the lake.

• Manor Classic Two-Bedroom Apartment

I really really impressed nothing to dislike.

Apartments were very spacious, very clean and staff were very friendly! Views are great and its only 10 min walk from Keswick centre!

• Classic Twin Room

Bathrooms very outdated. Rooms very hot, no air-con. Beds and Pillows uncomfortable. Food & drink expensive. Staff aren’t overly friendly.

Location. Lovely Beergarden. Dogs very welcome.

• Classic Double Room

Booked a classic room - offered an apartment as an up-grade, which clearly wasn't an upgrade, extremely shabby. requested an alternative room and eventually offered a classic twin. Price of breakfast advertised on booking.com website was less than charged by hotel and I don't think offered value for money - service poor.

The grounds were attractive with direct access to the Lake shore.

• Classic Double Room

Poor shower in room very low pressure. (Hoping to upgrade soon to shower with pump)

Great setting and views. Lovely garden and conservatory. Lots of walks nearby.

• Manor Classic One-Bedroom Apartment

I would have liked to be able to do some washing, however Keswick has a laundromat and us only a short walk away.

Stayed in the apartment. Having extra space was so good. Only a short 10 minute walk into Keswick or lovely beer garden/ dining area in front of hotel with a short stroll to the lake. Great position to explore the lakes district and not busy like Windermere and other areas.

• Classic Twin Room

Hotel looks great on the website but pricey for what it is. Food very mediocre: salmon hollandaise (potatoes not cooked, fish overcooked, soggy veg, custard for a sauce) @ £16.95. Barmaid took the complaint personally, saying she didn't cook it, just served it, and we still had to pay. Receptionist sorted this though - and we didn't pay for the fish

Great location. Room and beds comfy and clean. A path leads to lake.

• Classic Double Room

The dinning. Breakfast starts too late at 8am. Evening food is very mediocre. My 'rare' rib eye steak had clearly been cooked slowly and was served medium well done and a belly pork with 'crackling' just had soggy fat and no crackling. The restaurant is only open for a short time in the evening.

Nice location with direct access to Derwentwater. Parking was available in the car park or directly outside the hotel. Friendly staff. Good breakfast.

It is very run down and needs painting and new carpets. Man hole near the lift was uncovered. Change of linen placed on the dirty floor outside the room. The food was really disgusting in the evening in the restaurant with what we ordered did not appear on the plate. The smallest sole I have ever seen and loaded with balsamic vinegar!!! At breakfast the glasses although had been washed were not clean and shiny. We left early the next morning and did not bother about breakfast on the second day. The hotel is not ditectly on the water's edge. I would not recommend this place.

The view from our room was beautiful. Plenty of parking.

• Manor Classic One-Bedroom Apartment

The doors in the rooms either creeped or banged but that is an easy fix.

I loved the apartments it’s self it was spacious! It could do with the decor being updated but apart from that it’s spot on! The bed was the best bit as it is so big and comfortable

• Classic Double Room

For dinner the fish portions in restaurant were extremly small, not to recommend. I told this also to the waiter and reception.

The Hotel is in the Middle of lake district close to Keswick. The Staff was very friendly and helpful. The beergarden has nice views to lake derwentwater.

• Manor Classic Two-Bedroom Apartment

Superb 2 bedroom apartment on ground floor, spacious and well equipped. Hotel breakfast superb as was Beer Garden overlooking Derwentwater Lake. Our weather was superb and our break was idyllic. 15 minute walk through the countryside and you’re on Keswick high street half an hour on the car and you’re ascending through Honister Pass, perfect situation for both walkers and motorists