Reviews of De Vere Latimer Estate 3 stars

Church Lane, Chesham, HP5 1UG, United Kingdom

#1 of 2 hotels in Chesham

• Junior Double Room

Room was too small. I dont see how it could be called a 'double' room. Leisure centre outdated, changing rooms poor and steam room stank.

• Superior Double Room with View

We arrived at 5, our room was not cleaned. We stood st reception 30 minutes while the receptionist tried to arrange the rooms to be clean. The receptionist asked if we would wait at the bar for 30 minutes while the room was cleaned. We were happy to do so, but when we got to the bar it took 30 minutes to be served (there were only a handful of patrons waiting) to be told by the staff they weren’t comfortable with wine pouring and would get the head barman. We sit on the lovely decking, drink our drinks and return to reception an hour later. But as we get their the receptionist laughs and tells us our room is still not ready and offers us a DOWNGRADE... at this point it’s nearly 7pm! This was to be the first night me and my husband had a night away since our baby was born in April and I was so angry and disappointed I cancelled our room then and there. The receptionist then begged us to write a complaint as this is far too common and she struggles with handling this.

Location was lovely and the views brilliant.

• Superior Double Room with View

Cost didn’t justify the room Problematic getting around with a buggy Lack of natural light in the room Bathroom was very narrow with no extractor fan

Beautiful location Friendly and accommodating staff Easy to find Adequate gym and “lite” spa facilities

• Junior Double Room

Room in the Waterhouse was poorly decorated, dirty, and badly situated. Too far from other facilities and not at all in keeping with the rest of the hotel. Dated decor, old heater which did not work. Waited 2 hours for a heater request. No room service available, room brochure said restaurant opened at 6.30 but didn’t open until 7. Waited 10 mins at the bar for someone to serve. No phone signal at all in my bedroom.

Pool is nice dinner, was very good. Older gentleman serving in restaurant was extremely helpful and charming.

Was a beautiful location.. stunning building. Very posh indeed. We needed a hotel near the harry Potter tour and it was only a 20 min drive away. The staff were lovely.. the breakfast is 5 star works. And the pool was a nice bonus. Like I said touch of the posh and I'm a tattoo artist and covered in tattoos. I was made to feel welcome. Me and my wife and baby were treated like royalty.

• Standard Single Room

The room was quite a distance from the restaurant so leave your self a few minutes if you are staying in the standard rooms.

Great choice at breakfast. Dinner was also very good, but a very select menu. The views are around the grounds. Lunch at the conference I was attending was excellent.

The service we received was poor. Reception staff were lovely. We were asked if we wanted to book a table at the restaurant but we were not informed that the restaurant was booked by a group booking. Instead, we were put in another room and only given a very small select menu, not the one we had seen in the guest handbook. My husband didn't end up paying for his meal as it was reheated packaged food. It would have been courteous to tell us about that as we would have eaten somewhere else.

The hotel itself is absolutely beautiful. The surrounding area is picturesque. The room we stayed in was clean for the most part and very well equipped. Breakfast was very tasty and plenty of choice.

Nothing - everything was great.

Exceed our expectations! Wonderful hotel, beautiful setting, super-friendly staff...would 100% recommend and will definitely be goung there again!

When we arrived they had no idea that we were a family of two parents and two children. They wouldn’t let us have our children in their own room and insisted that we share so it would’ve been me and son and wife and daughter. Not ideal when we booked as a family. We expected adjoining rooms. They did however get us a suite and we were all together in the end.

Facilities and food very good

Slightly frosty welcome but it got better as staff changed Doors in rooms sited in wrong place people in corridor can see you if you are in bed when door opens

Lovely surroundings clean nice breakfast

We were in a room in the conference building- it was very functional without any of the luxurious feel of the main building

Beautiful main house and lovely breakfast

Clear the fish pond of pond weed so the fish can actually swim around. The koi carp just scooted around the perimeter of the pond where the weed hadn’t entirely invaded it. With Mr Heron watching (a real one not the pretend one) I was slightly concerned for their welfare.

Beds were sooo comfy - the setting is beyond stunning - the facilities tick all the boxes.

Room was opposite the function suite - noisy conference guests leaving (1130-0130hrs!!) after evening dinner...……. noisy!

Beautiful setting/location.

No ice machines or refrigerator in room. Had to walk a distance to get ice from the restaurant or bar. They had a limited amount. Wedding guests seemed to take priority over regular guests.

The firts night we stayed there was a wedding party and the bar staff were overstretched we waited ages for a drink . Received a gin and tonic in a dirty glass with no ice or lemon- no care or attentiion, it was terrible service . The second night was diffetent with good service .

The fascilitird

• Superior Twin Room

The modern extension did not have the same appeal.

Everything was just perfect. We throughly enjoyed our stay, highly recommend it. Shall look to stay in a De Vere hotel again. The meals were exceptional. Staff were friendly, polite and helpful. Our room was in the Victorian part of the hotel clean, comfortable and well equipped. The hotel and grounds were absolutely stunning.

• Superior Twin Room

The rooms are nice but they don't have a fridge or air con. Everywhere I have stayed we always get complimentary late check out due to having kids its not always easy, but here they were charging me £20 for late check out. Nice scenery and grassy areas but not much to do for kids.

Decent rooms, lovely outdoor areas with beautiful scenery. Felt comfortable and safe

The swimming pool and changing area were very shabby in comparison to the rest of the place. The room was nice but you could hear the upstairs guests walking around loudly at night.

The setting is beautiful, lovely grounds. The Library, restaurant and bar were all great, looked lovely and were very comfortable to relax in.

Not a major issue, but the 1st room was not cleaned! Guys at reception were extremely apologetic and quickly got me sorted with another room - in fairness I did only book the room at 17:00 and turn up at 22:00, so it was a bit lastminute...

Great selection of cereals for brekkie!

Leaving the hotel

Lovely staff so friendly, beautiful grounds and facilities, next time i have a couple of days of will rebook an excellent break, we loved it, Many Thanks

No drinking water in rooms. The throw on the bed was dirty. Staff a little inattentive at times

Food was very good. Staff were friendly. Beautiful setting. Board games in lounge a nice touch

• Junior Double Room

Despite the high price, there is not a refrigerator in the room and not even courtesy water. There is a long way to arrive from the room (in the secondary buildings around the main structure, to the reception and restaurant. Ristorant open at 19:00 a bit late for those who like to have dinner earlier.

• Junior Double Room

This is my first time of leaving a negative complaint- but I was so disappointed I feel I have too. The checking in service was embarrassing- being in a deal package through booking.com qualifies you for a room in an annexe that does not have room service- when I challenged this and advised it did not state this on the website I was told I was on a ‘cheap’ deal hence the location of the room. Either de vere needs to be clear or Booking.com do. I would say a big thank you to the manager for assisting. The cleanliness was not up to scratch neither

• Junior Double Room

I didn't feel welcome and the room I was allocated couldn't have been further away or more isolated than it was. As a single female in a ground floor room I felt very uncomfortable. At check in the receptionist was unsmiling and made me feel inferior as a Booking.com user.

The location....and the grounds. Main building beautifully refurbished.

• Superior Double Room with View

The place was understaffed, the majority of staff were poorly trained and some were just rude. They are the only aspect that let this place down, took the shine off an otherwise very pleasant stay.

Almost everything from the moment we arrived. Poor signs. Booking-in system lengthy, done by uninterested staff. Wrong rooms as requested. Wrong forms to complete. Extra charge demanded to get rooms we needed. No child friendly amenities or comfortable seating area in reception. No information about meals etc.

Can't think of anything we really liked that would encourage us to re-visit.

• Junior Double Room

The staff were terrible, I got evacuated from my room as the fire alarm went off at 3am then when I woke up I found a letter under my door saying sorry! Why can they not say something when leaving? I stay in Amersham every week and it was my first and last stay at this hotel

The gym

• Junior Double Room

My room was described as Junior Double Room, but I appeared to be given a room for a disabled person. I am not sure if this was it is classed as a Junior Double Room and whether they all have the disabled equipment within them, I was a little nervous about accidently pulling the wrong cord for the light as an example, as I did not want to set off the alarm.

Food was well presented and tasted lovely

Ironing board cover was replaced, but not before it covered my shirt in brown stains - wasn't ideal when I had a sales meeting the next day!

Great restaurant which served a fantastic breakfast and dinner, the rooms were clean if a little on the small side. Location was fantastic and the onsite gym, while small was great.

• Superior Double Room with View

Bar staff clumsy and unprofessional. Room service terrible had to wait for 2h to get the full order. At least the second burger was taken of the bill. Steam room in the pool area was bit warmer than our room.

One of the best hotel breakfasts ever-worth every penny. Comfortable beds, nicely decorated room and scenic location.

• Standard Single Room

Not much this time evening meal was fine and the breakfast was also perfect I guess the only thing was the coffee was poor ,

The main building is the part to stay in , not the extra rooms in the building on the far side of the grounds they where to small like shoe boxes I found my room was just perfect for a single person had all that I requested and needed wifi - tea machine- TV - walkin. Shower - very clean

Very interesting property to stay at and we would certainly return. The restaurant and kitchen staff were very helpful at dealing with my dietary needs.

The bathroom was quite small but very clean.

Had stayed in a newly refurbished room. Very clean, nice simple décor. Staff were all very friendly. Great choices for breakfast. Great bar food in the evening. Would definitely stay here again.

Staff were friendly and helpful. Room was bright and clean. Bar and restaurant were perfect for our birthday celebrations. Will definitely be returning soon.

• Junior Double Room

The room was fairly generic. I tend to prefer slightly more characterful, unusual rooms.

Absolutely amazing manor house in beautiful countryside. I loved the library where I had food from the bar ( though it took a little while to arrive ).

• Standard Single Room

Both on arrival and departure there was no one on the reception desk. It took 20mins to find someone to check in despite repeatedly dialling ‘0’ on the phone as instructed by the notice left on the desk. It also took nearly 15mins to find someone to check out. Everything else was fine but this didn’t create a good impression at either the start or end of my stay

Staff for breakfast wasn't great & only a household toaster. Also very thin walls, we could hear above every step the person took

Location & reception staff

The leisure suite. The changing rooms were tired: no privacy; too small; shabby showers; no jacuzzi; it was unmanned. The mews accommodation was also unmanned and did not feel part of the hotel. There was no lift there to take luggage upstairs. When we asked if we could have warm croissants for breakfast, the cook just brought out fresh, cold ones.

The old part of the hotel is beautiful. The lounge bar was so relaxing and fantastically furnished. The staff were very friendly.

Room just showing minor signs that a refresh may be required.

Beautiful surroundings and grounds. Main building facilities stunning, staff helpfull, professional with Smiles.Amazing breakfast, so thumbs up from my Grandsons, Daughter and Myself.

Considering the standard of the hotel, the restuarant was very basic e.g. No table cloths, drinks were quite expensive.

The building and setting was exceptional The staff was extremely friendly, welcoming and efficient. Excellent food, breakfast was great. Would recommend to anyone, lovey atmosphere.

Loud banging noises above our room

The atmosphere the surroundings Me and my husband enjoyed Every min Staff were brilliant excellent a real pleasure

The man who checked us in didn’t tell us where the restaurant was or about the pool but the other lady checking guests in did so I had to find out from what she was telling other people

Food, room, facilities everything about the hotel was excellent!

The breakfast was very good. The bed was a bit small for us. Our main reason for visiting was to attend a celebration with friends at Little Chalfont so staying with you suited us well.

My (tiny) room was in a seperate building from the main hotel. There was no lift in the building and I had to do 2 trips up a spiral staircase with my bags. Then if I wanted to visit the pool or bar/restaurant I had to go outside, get wet (pouring with rain yesterday), and walk to the other building.

Lovely grounds, great food, good staff

Poor soundproofing in the rooms and squeaking, creaking floorboards in both the hallway and the rooms on all sides, we could hear every footstep, the door had little or no soundproofing. Such a shame to spend so much money on refurbishment and miss out a basic hotel requirement. They should drag the architect and contractors back in to rectify these faults. We stayed on the 1st floor of 400 block.

Bed was very comfortable, parking was good and close to reception. We had a good breakfast on the Saturday morning, but Sunday was manic in the servery area.

• Standard Single Room

There was still a very low amount of staff on the hotel bar. Takes a long time to get served. My second time at the hotel, and this is still an issue. Ordering chips at the bar and they took 50 minutes to arrive at my table!

No lift in the mews so heavy bag going up a spiral staircase was interesting. No-one attending the reception in the mews so any problems is a hike across to the main building. Tea for breakfast was cold and stewed. Large hotel with a lack of the personal touch. Toys and floats in the swimming pool locked away, despite several children in the pool at the time.

Beautiful surroundings in a lovely part of the country. The front of the hotel looks beautiful but sadly when visiting with children you are housed in the mews which is seperate and very much left to your own devices.

Reception Staff a bit formulaic. Bar staff slow. Steam room not working and swimming pool changing area (ladies) untidy. Rooms in mews very small.

Location and surrounding views were impressive. Library area was very old world and in keeping with the charachter of the building.

Even upgraded the room it was still quite small. From our room we could still hear the music from the wedding reception both nights.

The room was nice. Bed very comfy. Bath amazing!

The standard room in the mews building is average at best. Small and tired with chipped doors and furniture. Very disappointing. The welcome at check in was luke warm although the receptionist who checked us out was far more friendly and pleasant.

The setting of this hotel is fantastic. The food in the restaurant is excellent and the refurbished Manor House is lovely

A map of the site would have been useful as we only found out about the bar area serving food, after we had eaten in the restaurant! Also wasn’t aware there were two reception desks until the evening. Those with limited mobility may find our room location difficult, especially with luggage.

We stayed for one night only due to participating in an activity the following day. We were pleasantly surprised with the location, our room and the general appearance of the hotel. Had a room on second floor, main building. An awkward walk with a suitcase but fine for us. Comfortable, stylish decor with nice extras that enhanced our stay. We eat in the restaurant-delicious food, though service was a little slow but not because the staff weren’t working very hard! Breakfast was delicious and loads of choice.

The bedrooms were quite a walk from the main hotel. You had to walk over for dinner. There was no room service. You had to walk over for breakfast. There didn't seem to be many staff on duty. I waited 15 mins in the main reception and then had to go and find someone

It was convenient

We left some items in the baggage room by accident and despite calling three or four times, over three days no one ever calls back as they say they are going to. The customer service in this regard has been very bad.

The night managers were great when i was up at 4am with a grumpy baby.

• Standard Single Room

Why when i am stood at the desk could i not book in. Having to stand there and go on line on my phone to make a booking. Then to wait for conformation email and Then pay at the desk DAFT. Also no USB charging in the room.

• Standard Single Room

The rooms and hotel are very good to excellent but the service at the bar and bar food is dire. Staff are not trained at the basics and I have had to cancel food orders due to very lengthy delays and have witnessed other customers in similar situations as the norm. These are not unusual occurrences At the hotel.

Great rooms

• Superior Twin Room

Car park was very full and a couple of cars badly parked meant I had to squeeze into a very tight space making it hard to get out of the car. only one person on reception at 11am and bit of a queue

good breakfast selection, room and bathroom seemed very new. Long way from room to dining area which would not have suited anyone with mobility issues

I had a late arrival and so it was dark, I was unable to see signage as it was unlit. This led to me pulling over to read them, and a few impatient cars, tailgating me, wanting to push past. The website gives the impression that you are in the main house, where the restaurant etc. are situated, and many of the photos represent this area. Instead I was in a room in an out-building with a view of an ivy wall. The building was pleasant enough but away from amenities. The room had a good standard of finishes but smelt musty and the carpet needed a deep clean. As an asthmatic I am quite sensitive to dust and mould and woke up feeling very congested and chesty. There was a smoke alarm above the bed with 2 intermittent flashing red lights, not the best thing when you are trying to get to sleep. Room service was not offered despite being away from the main restaurant. Brown blanket over bed was dirty with several stains.

Lovely setting, fantastic staff and lovely breakfast + swimming pool. Large, warm and quiet room with good storage, iron and ironing board. The main house is stunning. Easy check in and out.

Reception – this was a bit confusing as the girl asked for my credit card to take a deposit, after giving her the card and adding that I had pre-paid a colleague mentioned that this happens with Booking.com. I asked her to cancel the card as I thought it was for what I spent in the hotel and not to pay again. She told me it was cancelled but I never received a receipt for that Room Update – after trying to take a nap after an early start to the day I awoke and was freezing cold. The radiator was not warm and there were no instructions how to warm the room up. After a bit of trial and error I managed to adjust the valve to get it to come on. I noticed that there was a creaking of floorboards when somebody moved in the next rooms or a louder creak when somebody walked in the corridor. In the bathroom some silicone sealant was loose around the bath and there was black mould around some of the bath. Surely this should be a maintenance / cleaning issue. Leisure Centre – disappointed that we had to wait until 6pm as there were swimming lessons. Changing rooms were small, pool was nice but quickly got crowded. I tried the steam room and realised no steam was coming out of the vent and the vent on the ceiling was covered in rust. Then tried the shower outside the steam room and nearly scalded myself, I was unable to adjust either the water flow or temperature control to get a temperature that was too hot to use. On the way out I looked at the notice board and realised the last maintenance certificate was for just over a year ago. I consider the shower issue a very important health and safety issue backed up by an obvious lack of maintenance in the centre. Breakfast – greeted by a man who checked us in and then said you have continental breakfast. When I queried this he said oh if you have been told full breakfast then that’s OK.

Approach – the drive up to the hotel gave superb sight of the main house and grounds Room First Thoughts – first thoughts were good, although it didn’t look to be a superior room to me. Everything you needed was there Breakfast – good choice of food

The restaurant was very cold even though they put me by a radiator. They kindly provided a blanket to wrap me in. There was like a wall of cold that met you at the entrance. I wish I had eaten in the bar which was warm. The bathroom towel rad was off by 8.30PM meaning that the bathroom got very cold. I realise that the weather was very cold when I was there but the floor in the bathroom was tiled and was really cold.

Room, food and service all very good.

Restaurant and bar service was very very slow and under manned and not organised by the leaders in these dept. The bedrooms and bathrooms are too small

Location and building is fabulous

• Superior Twin Room

I reserved superior twin room - not a standard - the room was very poor size and poor decor - I did feel like we were in a cheap accommodation Pool - very poor standard for hotel and the spa and steam room very rather small and not very good standard

The location is fantastic and the old part of the hotel - the bar is nice

We were there for a wedding so very convenient after the wedding. Very comfy bed. Abit far out of town but still managed to get an Uber from the property.

The room and bathroom were on the small side, but as we were only there to sleep and not to spend the day there it was not a major issue

Room was spotless and tastefully furnished.

• Standard Single Room

Stayed in the Mews with no clear instructions on how to get there so accidentally gatecrashed a team-building do in the events building. The room had no thermostat so had to open the glazed door in order to bring the room down to a normal temperature. Check out was easy - and at £76 a night I couldn't really complain.

Couldn't quibble for £76 per night. The main house is nice, the bar and restaurant looked nice though seemed a bit understaffed, though staff were amiable and professional.

• Junior Double Room

Beautiful property, very friendly staff. swimming pool and sauna were great. Lovely gardens and accommodating staff who looked after my case for me for a couple of hours after checkout. They also allowed an early check in which because of my travel arrangements was very helpful.

I loved everything!

The property is absolutely stunning. So much character and beautifully renovated. I was travelling alone so greatly appreciated being able to eat my dinner on arrival in a beautiful corner of the library overlooking the grounds sitting in a comfy chair. I felt comfortable and at home and the staff were lovely and made me feel totally at ease. Well done to everyone. It was perfect!

The bathroom being so small you have to almost climb in the bath to close the door. There was no jacuzzi for some reason.

A wonderful little hotel needed if you are running in the Amersham/Chesham area. Pool, sauna, steam room, no jacuzzi for some reason, great onsite restaurant with superb staff and an excellent menu. You don't stay in the swanky main building, rather refurbed rooms in the wings that are fine although the bathrooms are very small.

• Junior Double Room

Having requested poached eggs on toast. The poached eggs turned up from the kitchen minus the toast which was dealt with as a self service item. I would have expected a hotel of this calibre to provide the toast at the time the eggs arrived.

Excellent property, location and standard of facilities

• Standard Single Room

The hotel has an annex (Mews) that would not be out of place as "Halls of Residence" at a university - this is not a compliment! You have a 100m walk outside to a separate building with very small box rooms that lack a lot of "normal" hotel facilities, certainly no option of room service. I'm sure if you looked hard enough this may be explained, but it is certainly not immediately apparent through the booking process. It is a shame as the actual hotel is very nice and I'm sure the rooms would be of a decent standard, but the "Mews" - definitely not what I would expect from this supposed standard of hotel.

The main part of the Hotel is very nice and generally all the facilities there came up to expectations, however........ see above

• Junior Double Room

I chose this hotel on the basis that it had a gym and pool, these where closed until further notice, I asked to be contacted when they felt it would be working but no one contacted me, I had to ask a few times before given an answer. the lack of electricity to the lower floors below my room 416 meant that the bathroom was cold especially the floor which was freezing.

Lovely looking building in a stunning location, the building and presentation gave a feeling of grandeur

• Standard Single Room

Short walk outside from room to main building, bitterly cold but you can't blame hotel for that. I have stayed at this hotel before

All staff were friendly, helpful and happy to chat when they weren't too busy

Having spent Millions on refurb Im guessing another 25/30k would of been well spent on extra heating in restraurant - very cold in there slightly spoils experience!

Food and Service

I was staying in one of the mews buildings which was set up for business conferences- the room was fine, but a bit tired and the bathroom could have done with a bit of tlc. The bath taps and bath itself weren't in the best condition. When I checked in I wasn't told about where to find the restaurant, or what time breakfast was etc. (and I forgot to ask!) The information wasn't available in the room- even in the guest directory- very limited info about food- just the blurb from the website. I ended up driving out of the hotel to find some dinner as there wasn't even a menu for the restaurant in the room for me to see what food was on offer (I wasn't in the mood to go exploring the hotel) This was fine but a bit more info in the room would have been better. I'm not sure if breakfast was included, but didn't have time to go exploring in the morning, so left without breakfast. This could have been rectified I'm sure, with a quick call to reception to ask these questions, but I feel this information should have been provided at check-in, and usually is elsewhere.

The location was pretty and the grounds and it had a swimming pool and gym which was free for guests to use.

We were there for Valentine day but the restaurant did not make any special effort e.g. no table candles, etc and meal nothing to write home about. De vere is run by accountants not hoteliers with a soul! Hotel would be a lot better with more imaginative approach.

Overall a great site for country life especially walks

Menu in the restaurant and the bar was not particularly varied. We decided to eat elsewhere on our second night. Also whilst the breakfast was perfectly adequate at almost £15.00 for a cooked breakfast, it was very expensive.

Ambience of a Country House. Spacious.