Reviews of Diglis House Hotel 2 stars

Severn Street, Worcester, WR1 2NF, United Kingdom

#3 of 9 hotels in Worcester

Bed is a mattress on wood. Dont jump on it bum first!

Fantastic location in a gorgeous old building. Staff attentive and as a bonus didn't charge for some drinks! Breakfast fantasic but beware mak sure young staff have ordered a table next to us arrived before and didn't ask if it was coming until we had finished ous. Staff are lovely though just 'young'

There was nothing to dislike!

A delightful and peaceful location, next to the River Severn with scenic riverside walks in both directions. Very warm welcome, comfortable ground floor room in annexe a few yards from the main building. Views to the river and direct access to private outdoor sitting area for residents, overlooking the river. Excellent meals served in the conservatory overlooking the river, a wonderful setting, probably the best in the city. Easy walking distance to all amenities including the county cricket ground.

The room was very basic and small wouldn`t of wanted to pay more for this room even with the view, only one bedside table and a very small gap the other side of the bed to get out in the night, very hot in the room and no windows that opened, Breakfast room very small and very stuffy breakfast was ok nothing special,

The view of the river was lovely and the quiet location was nice, the free upgrade was a nice surprise although wouldn`t want to pay more than we did for that room,

• Standard Single Room

Superb location overlooking the river Severn. Ideal for visiting Worcester, but out of the way enough to be quiet. There was a wedding there when I stayed, but no disturbance at all.

We stayed for one night as we were attending a friend's birthday party in a nearby pub. After booking in we were led into the car park with some trepidation to a door in what seemed to be an outbuilding. However our room (36) far exceeded our expectations - a sitting room, very comfortable bed/room and an excellent modern and spotlessly clean bathroom. The public areas were also clean and very comfortable - breakfast was also excellent in the conservatory overlooking the river. The staff were all perfectly pleasant and helpful at booking in and serving drinks when we returned from the party with our friends. A very nice hotel!

No negatives we had a great stay. Thanks!

Fab riverside location. Lovely cottage accommodation overlooking river. Quiet, peaceful, food great. Dog friendly, table laid specially for us in the bar.

The hotel is set with beautiful views of the River Severn and within easy walking distance of the Cathedral and city centre shops. The food in the restaurant is excellent with a good range of choices. All of the staff were welcoming and friendly.

• Standard Twin Room

Fabulous location on river bank, a stone's throw from the cathedral and city centre, lovely staff, excellent breakfast. Thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Will be back.

No cons!

Beautiful setting on riverbank.could see rowing teams practicing.lovely bar dining area,inside and terrace outside on river. Very nice room.easy walk into city centre. Helpful and friendly staff.

• Standard Single Room

Breakfast did not run smoothly. Items missing and I felt I was up and down. Second morning my breakfast took ages and there were only three people in the restaurant. I wanted to get an early start but this was delayed and I rushed my food. The food was good. Toaster wasn't working properly and had to wait to tell someone. My tea got cold waiting around.

Location friendlinessog staff

I was very impressed with the bed, the lounge, and the food, as well as the location. I'm definitely going to stay at this location again. Most of all, the staff made our stay comfortable, interesting, engaging and warm. They are true professionals and a credit to themselves.

Slightly dodgy TV signal, but I wasn't bothered as I was watching the rowing practice on the river instead!

Beautiful location on the river, lovely comfy room opening out onto garden. Short walk into town centre. Bar meals onsite. Lovely full English included in the price. Great value for money. Felt very safe and looked after as a solo traveller.

Beautiful sash windows that were sealed above and blocked at about 4" below, making the room unbelievably warm and stuffy. I didn't sleep till nearly 6am when the room cooled. I kept using the fan during the night but it was noisy. Also debit card system requests payment twice, so I have to wait a couple of days for the initial "pending" money to be released back to my bank account

Access road can be slightly difficult to spot when traffic busy and flowing quickly!

Fabulous location and outside areas were very inviting on a warm sunny day. Helpful and courteous staff were great, food and accommodation very good.

Parking poor, but this is clearly due to location which is fantastic so worth it

Staff exceptional nothing was to much trouble, food fantastic, room spotless, would highly reccomend

Car park bigger

Staff were really friendly and helpful. Breakfast was amazing. Lovely view of the river from our room. Really clean and spacious rooms.

We stayed one night on our way home to Yorkshire from Cornwall. Unfortunately although the room was lovely and clean it was situated outside and we had to walk through the gardens and terrace to get to breakfast in the morning. As it happened in the morning it was raining very heavy and we instead had to make do with breakfast in the room.

• Standard Twin Room

We needed a cooked breakfast before leaving for an event at 7.45am and was told it was too early. Had toast and cereal. When paying £90, would expect more?

I stayed in the Diglis five years ago and I should have paid more attention to the description of the room I was booking this time. Our room was very small for a five day stay. There was not much space in the one-drawer wardrobe to hang up clothing, so we filled all of the tiny desk drawers with items that would not fit in the wardrobe. The room was west facing and was very hot after a run of sunny days, so we set up the fan each night and opened the windows to try and cool off. The room was also located over the kitchen, not that we noticed smells, but the additional heat was probably a factor. Breakfast was fine, certainly a good selection of items, but we felt the breakfast staff occasionally lacked energy and we felt we could have used with a bit more attention. With that being said the household staff kept our room spotless and added cookies to our tea tray each day. We return to Worcester on a regular basis and have opted to stay in self- accommodating properties in the past. I would still choose the Diglis for a centrally-located, historic hotel, but if I did return I would upgrade to a much larger room.

We absolutely loved the location with an outdoor terrace offering views and access to the river walk. The building itself is very charming and the Drawing Room is especially lovely. Breakfast in the conservatory was delightful, too. We also appreciated high quality linens and towels in the bathroom. Even though the Diglis is a popular venue for weddings we felt our stay was very quiet.

The car parking did not seem sufficient for the number of people trying to use it.

Wonderful location with a view of the River Severn and easy walk into the town centre.

• Superior Twin Room

Limited menu in restaurant so decided to eat in bar - no tables in main room (not allowed in conservatory) so ate at very small table by bar on our own - not very sociable

ALovely location with room overlooking river, comfortable

• Superior Twin Room

Room very hot...air con would be great option (a fan was provided) Food not memorable but very good service

Location perfect/service excellent...staff exceptional

Not enough car park spaces for staying guests especially a disabled space. Better signage for arrival of disabled guests directing them to the ramp access. Garden & lawns need attention i.e mowed regularly.

The hotel breakfasts were excellent especially when taken out on the terrace in pleasant weather. The room was clean and very comfortable with the bay window overlooking the river. Lovely hotel location on the river but also within easy reach of the town centre.

• Standard Twin Room

As there was a wedding when we stayed it was very busy, but didn’t spoil our stay. Although made parking a bit difficult. Breakfast was very good, limited fruits and yogurt etc but cooked breakfast lovely. Service a little slow but expected as very busy.

Lovely room, very clean and comfy, had everything you needed.

Weather was very good so seating outside was packed with people which led to long waiting time at bar to get served.Staff done their best but maybe extra staff would have reduced waiting time at bar.

Reception very helpful as first room allocated very small so moved to a larger room.

• Standard Single Room

The staff were fantastic and very accomodating on arrival. The location was amazing and I would highly recommend an evening stroll along the river. I was also given a free upgrade which was an added bonus.

• Standard Twin Room

The dinner menu is a bit limited - but we know this from the website. However, the dish we chose was tasty and filling. To offset that the service was friendly and the beakfast - Full English - defeated us - more than sufficient.

The Diglis Hotel is in an excellent location for walking around Worcester and also walking along the canal and riverside. When the sun is shining the terrace is a superb place to gaze at the river with a beverage of your choice to hand!

• Superior Twin Room

I booked a superior room, it was described as having a fan, ironing facilities and radio, there were none of these in the room. Car parking is very limited and with a large car very hard to park, I left early and it was almost impossible to get put of the over full and small car park. I had my evening meal in the bar, food ok but disappointed that salt, vinegar and mayonnaise came in packets, not what you would expect in a quality hotel charging £100.00 a night.

They did serve a good pint of IPA.

Very comfortable room which was spotless, and enjoyed a super view over the river ...breakfast was hearty and very well prepared....good selection of draft beer served by pleasant staff. #Thanks for a great bstay

Dinner was absolutely dreadful! Starter portions were so small and I refused to pay. My wife’s chicken breast main course appeared to be pre-formed, not fresh. Only three other people in the restaurant, but still could not provide the two desserts we ordered. Pretentious, no atmosphere, portion size a joke, in summary very very disappointing and I would recommend no-one eats here!!

• Standard Twin Room

My single bed was very,very hard .A bottle of water would have been most welcome.Felt a bit cut off in the annexe.

Staff were excellent and location is wonderful.

Everything from arrival to checking out was excellent. Will certainly be visiting again.

The location was beautiful alongside the river Severn, a wet rainy day but didn't put us a short stroll. Can only imagine the beauty of location on a warm sunny day.

• Standard Single Room

Insensitive receptionist embarrassed my son whose card was rejected. I had booked the room, I had already given my card on my arrival so it was not necessary to ask my son for his. (He arrived separately from me.) Unusual situations ought not to prove unnecessarily embarrassing for guests.

Relaxed atmosphere in William Leader room. Extra hour's private use. Thank you.

The staff were amazing- so friendly & helpful. Bed was comfy & room was a good size. Food was brilliant- dinner & breakfast! Hotel was right next to a river, which I didn’t notice on arrival as it was dark - but drew the curtains in the morning & saw loads of swans on the river. Loved it!

• Standard Twin Room

Parking was poor when we arrived. Managed to park car later in the evening. Also, there was no lift. This was a little hard for me as I have weak knees.

Lovely hotel. Our room was very spacious, bed linen was clean, bathroom was nice. Shower was amazing. Stayed there for a 50th birthday party. Function room was set up really lovely and a good time was had by all. Would recommend the function suite.

Not a great choice of dinner menu if staying for more than a couple of nights. Very irritated that on the breakfast menu haddock and smoked salmon, very ordinary dishes, had a £3.50 surcharge. Totally unnecessary.

The whole experience.

Our room in the annexe was far too hot, even though we turned down the heating. We had to open our patio doors in the middle of the night! We couldn’t connect to the WiFi.

Location, staff were EXCELLENT. breakfast was top class. Rooms were comfortable.

• Superior Twin Room

Being a disabled person it would have been good to have had some help with my bags.

Extraordinary change for the better in the whole property which I last visited 20 years ago

Breakfast was disorganised but very nice when it came. Parking limited and tight.

Friendly staff who made us feel welcome. Comfy bed Clean Nice location and setting

The cooked breakfast was enough but the service both in the evening and at breakfast was very slow. At one time I thought we were on the Marie Celeste as we did not see any staff for at least 5 minutes.

Bed and room were very comfortable and nicely decorated, the only downside was the distance from the hotel to the bedroom suite.

• Standard Twin Room

Room view was just of car park but it was only one night and in winter so primarily dark

Free parking near the town. Next to the river. Not a chain. Friendly. Twin rooms available. Nice breakfast

Signage on the approach

Everything - first class from start to finish, the only concern was actually findings by it and understanding where the car park was!!!

Only a small thing but I like a powerful hot shower and my shower didn't deliver.

The warm welcome from the receptionist and the room was lovely and comfortable. The breakfast menu was great. I chose to have the haddock and poached egg and it was cooked to perfection. The staff serving breakfast was very attentive.

• Standard Single Room

The restaurant is comfortable and well positioned, but on a quiet evening, the other public areas lacked some atmosphere.

Excellent riverside location adjacent to the city centre. Split between a main old house and a modern annexe. Friendly staff and a comfortable room. Food was fresh and warming. Probably a good venue for celebrations and events.

The WiFi in the annex kept dropping out, which was a pain, but didn’t detract from a great stay

Breakfast was lovely and the location is idyllic. I will be back in the summer for drinks by the riverside.

reception desk is oddly located and a little too deep to be comfortable - but i only had to stand there for 20 seconds so not a big deal really!

good quality sausages all freshly cooked for me non of this buffet rubbish

plumbing. no hot water for a bath. We were offered a room change but as there was a hot shower and we were on our way out for the evening we did not want the upheaval. still no joy the next day but again we were settled in that room which was nice and did not want upheaval of moving, staff would have given us a different room. These things do happen in old properties which this is.

staff always friendly and helpful, nothing too much bother

• Standard Twin Room

As an older female traveling alone I found the Diglis House Hotel very welcoming and at no time was I made to feel uncomfortable. staff very friendly and helpful but not intrusive

• Standard Twin Room

Just one niggle, a noisy fan/aircon unit. Low humming noise early morning. Under window room 27 apart from that a.fantastic hotel and would stay there again

Great location, Wonderful views of the river . Clean rooms and very comfortable

Noise from somewhere at 05.00 an electrical generator noise in lobby area room 15? Also another guest was smoking outside of my room ground floor in the morning the area should be closed off. Breakfast tea served at breakfast low quality. The breakfast itself excellent, tea bags not.

• Standard Single Room

The carpets in my room needed cleaning (they had signs of one or two pairs of muddy feet). Otherwise everything was absolutely fine.

Alex was very helpful during the one meal I had during my stay. This is the kind of thing that makes a difference to people travelling on their own.

The staff were very professional, friendly and helpful. The breakfast was very tasty with delicious bacon. Unusually for hotels the shower was powerful and easy to use. The location by the river and within minutes of the town centre was perfect.

Traffic flow through the city made it difficult to get to our event location by car, even though i could see it from the hotel.

Restaurant food was excellent, and Staff were great.

There was nothing that we didn't like.

The room was very luxurious and comfortable. The breakfast was excellent and all staff were extremely helpful and friendly. Looking forward to our next visit.

The showers were not walk in. You had to climb into the bath to have a shower. That was fine for my wife and as fit and able I but could be problem for someone with a mobility issue.

The view of the river and gardens from the hotel is stunning. Watching the countless Swans swimming up and down the river. Winter so no chance to sit out on the terraces and enjoy the scenery .

Only one bedside table and light - should have been one each side Vent was blocked open by paint and could not be closed in Storm Eleanor, which kept my wife awake as wind howled through the vent One wall light bulb did not work

Breakfast good, actual bath, great location and views

Room 21 could benefit from an extra lamp in the seating area. Breakfast selection a little disappointing, with several supplement prices on the cooked menu, but full English was good. Bottled water in room would be nice.

Comfy bed, nicely appointed suite in hotel annexe with comfortable sitting area and good river view. Lovely to have full size mugs in room. Didn't use bar or dining room on this short overnight stay, so cannot comment on these.

• Standard Single Room

Room a little warm when I arrived but easily solved by turning off the radiator and opening a window for a short while.

Friendly staff throughout my stay, comfortable room with views over the river, fast Wi-Fi, good breakfast, easy parking and short walk to City centre.

• Standard Single Room

The bed was a little hard for my liking, otherwise everything else associated with my stay was excellent.

Staff and service excellent I had made a very late booking and upon arrival found that I had received an upgrade on my room, which was very much appreciated. Morning coffee and mince pie which I ordered mid-morning was excellent.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

• Standard Twin Room

The room was rather small and located at the backside with only a view to the parking. The price is relatively high in relation to what is offered.

It is a nice hotel located next to the river in the quiet town of Worcester. It is close to the city center, but located at a quiet location. It has a good restaurant and a good staff.

I liked this hotel so I don’t want to introduce negativity but a note to the owners or chef. After a lovely meal you let your self down by serving a plate of very stale cheese.

From start to finish an excellent experience. Room, staff, atmosphere, dinner and breakfast were all faultless

Beautiful grounds and the conservatory over the river was lovely, good to see maids and groundsmen at work too so we know it was being upkept. Loved the open fire in the bar area.

Staff were excellent, but the facilities were standard, no pool or gym.

Staff were very attentaive, we had a horrible journey there and arrived late in the evening but they wanted us to be comfortable and offered us food even though the kitchen was closed, definitely the extra mile.

That when I arrived I was told by reception that I didn’t have a room that I wasn’t booked in through booking.com :-(This panicked me that I would have no where to stay and as I was bridesmaid to bride and groom that where having there after do there and I lived an hour away!!

The style of room it was like a little apartment

Lovely staff. Went the extra mile to sort my tv out. Delicious room service meal - nicest fish and chips I've had in a long time. Scrummy breakfast too.

Small room ,ok for one night but i booked for three, small bath ok if you are on the small side overall nothing to moan about.

Location excellent,very comfy bed.very polite staff .

The bedroom was very spacious,clean and comfortable. The view over the river was superb especially when eating a very good breakfast in the restaurant.

Breakfast issues - cooker on the blink and confusion over cooked breakfast. Lack of communication between kitchen and front of house.

Some staff very helpful and friendly.

was disappointed with room, was expecting to be in main hotel, but ended up in an annex block. Thought it overpriced, The shower head was difficult to adjust and stand under because shape of bath. Breakfast was a complete disaster, bread for toaster was not topped up, orange juice jug empty, and after a very long wait, our breakfasts arrive with no egg served with breakfasts because of cooker problems, sausages cooked on one side only and burnt bacon was hidden under the beans. Meaning it wasn't just the bacon that tasted burnt. wasn't asked if we wanted tea or coffee, so we had to ask for it while giving our order Complete shambles unlike our first stay a few years ago.

quiet night sleep, nice view of river, parking for annex has its own parking,, shame the staff hadn't told us that when we were struggling through the hotel and across the garden with our luggage !!

The location and the view are simply amazing! I have loved the hotel and the restaurant! They also managed to sold me an electricity adaptor for 5 pounds which is super fair! For sure i will come back in spring time

We paid for a superior room but ours felt more like a standard. Bit disappointed and felt a bit ripped off. It was our wedding anniversary so we were looking forward to something special.

Delicious breakfast with excellent service and lovely view over River Severn. Lovely walks right on the doorstep and only 5 mins from Worcester Cathedral and attractive canal marina.

Nothing !

Very good location next to the river Severn. 5 minute walk to cathedral and shops. 15 min walk to Railway station. Lovely staff and bar/drinks/food offered.

Great location. Easy walk into the city centre and very close to the Cathedral which is worth a visit. All the staff extremely friendly and helpful, from telling us where the nearest firework display was to where the nearest Sushi bar was. Room was beautiful and the bed very comfortable.

• Standard Twin Room

Not easy to find even with satnav, but have been told they are getting more signs very soon.

Best breakfast ever, overlooking the river. Quiet room and excellent bar staff.

• Standard Twin Room

Bathroom was quite cold. It would have been good to know that there was an overflow/second car park behind the hotel

Very comfortable beds. The bacon and mushrooms at breakfast were really good quality and the service very good.

Browse Diglis House Hotel traveller photo gallery